Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,114 members, 7,828,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education (47436 Views)

Adamu Abubakar Rasheed Graduates From University Of Aberdeen UK. Nigerians React / FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders / HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by olaztek(m): 11:17am On Aug 03, 2016
This is a welcome development. It will help to make poly grads more valuable in the society.

2 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Toluabigr8(m): 11:17am On Aug 03, 2016
Dancing shoki with my OND,HND,BSC,MSC,PGD,MTV,ITC,NTA AND AIT certificate Ogbeni business lo jawo joor

7 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Freshvibesblog(m): 11:19am On Aug 03, 2016
ok
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by agwu123(m): 11:21am On Aug 03, 2016
The bane of Nigeria development is trivialization of issues. Each time the issue of HND/degree comes up, they quickly quote that the law establishing polytechnic state that it should produce middle level manpower and they fail to realise that as at the time this laws were made, the polytechnic was only producing ND and there was nothing like HND nor post HND as we have today. This same group of people with this line of thought are the very enemies of polytechnic education in Nigeria. They want the status quo to remain so that they can continue to brag, stampede and intimidate their coworkers who are HND graduates.

World over, the polytechnic system enjoys the same status as university and awards degree. If you doubt me check the dictionary meaning of a polytechnic you see for yourself. the only difference is that the two systems have different area of focus i .e polytechnic for Technology (applied Arts & Science) while university for research (academic subjects). As a matter of fact the polytechnic graduates are more remunerated than their university counterparts in countries like Germany etc

Unfortunately, here in Nigeria we have decided to be retarded because of self-centeredness and ego centrism. Just like the Medical doctors in Nigeria who had decided to always manipulated the government to come up with policies that will elevate them above other health workers such that they can perpetually suppress other health professionals, some elements within and outside the polytechnic system have decided that the polytechnic system will not have it right place in Nigeria.

Unfortunately for this group, things are gradually changing and this government has heeded the cries of HND graduates and the dichotomy has been removed. Let them continue to wail.

Now come to think of it, in terms of performance it's on record that the polytechnic graduates do better in ICAN for several years now than their university counter parts. Again how many Nigeria universities really have the state of the art facilities to carry out research? What meaningful researches have Nigeria universities generated over the years to help improve the socioeconomic condition of our people? In the area of teaching what quality of teachings actually emanate from our universities at least if they are that good it will reflect on their products.
This stereotypical thinking, egocentric and unnecessary power tussle that will do our nation no good must stop. I am not saying that the polytechnic system as its presently been run in Nigeria is perfect but I believe there is room for improvement if its properly run and given the right footing it deserve.

I have passed through both systems (University & Polytechnic) and other professional examination bodies, I must confess that the polytechnic system is not doing badly at all when juxtaposed.

God bless this government for heeding the call and bringing equity on the part of the HND graduates.
HND is equivalent to degree and not the same!

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by buildelicool(m): 11:21am On Aug 03, 2016
When the president has no certificate standard of education/certificate is bound to fall. He has no BSc and therefore does not know the value. Congratulations to HND holders though

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Longman6(m): 11:21am On Aug 03, 2016
I think this would not solve the problem, but am indeed happy for the poly guys, government got it all wrong with the establishment of poly, what should have been obtainable is to make technical oriented degrees only accessible in poly, where it becomes impossible to study Engineering in conventional universities, and everyone comes out with a BSC, just like MIT and caltech, including imperial college..if this plan falls through we all should get ready for a classification of universities in Nigeria by prospective employers.

2 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by hylyne(m): 11:21am On Aug 03, 2016
Will this solve the problems of massive unemployment in this country?

Why are we laying much emphasis on certificate, forgetting the quality of graduates produced. Most of our tertiary institution borrow machines during accreditation, just for them to be accredited. My HOD then, had to mobilize Machines from his personal Fabrication shop just for the sake of accreditation. Who is Deceiving who.?

In the face of these challenges, this myopic government is busy equating certificates, instead of product quality.

I see ruins...

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by anny268(f): 11:22am On Aug 03, 2016
Interesting!
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by zicoraads: 11:22am On Aug 03, 2016
Wash! grin cheesy grin
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Barackmeringo: 11:22am On Aug 03, 2016
greggng:

Does this mean I can now go for direct masters program with my hnd?

No, only for peeps that are just applying for hnd now
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by goshen26: 11:24am On Aug 03, 2016
Next thing to do is to visit those Polys, screen out those lecturers that got their way into the system via family affiliation.

Yes... I kno wat I'm saying. I attended fedpoly ede, osun state... I used to have a lab technician (no name), he got his ND via part time while working as a gate man, His HND too via the same program...he has been employed as a lab technologist. This man was dictating to us one day, he pronounced BROCHURE as BAYRO, we were all confused, and ask him to spell it, only for him to say "B, R, O, C, H, U, R, E." Come and see laugh in my class that day...

Most of them enjoy speaking their local language than English

Often times the Ibos among us complains.. I used to feel for them..and if u hear their salary package u will open ur mouth

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 03, 2016
If this is true then it's a welcome development. Both Uni and Poly have remarkable and genius graduate as well as Olodo who also hide under certificate but can not perform in working environment after fvckin or blocking their way thru Skul. Now the ball have been set rolling, it will be all about what you can deliver and not type of certificate or school. Many Degree holders job are at stake cause so companies know Poly Hnd holders deliver more in some profession than Degree holders

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by paradise88: 11:28am On Aug 03, 2016
!

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by ozo13(m): 11:29am On Aug 03, 2016
Na them sabi.noting concern me
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Stanbeto: 11:31am On Aug 03, 2016
The only CHANGE i saw in AFC
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by greggng: 11:31am On Aug 03, 2016
Barackmeringo:

No, only for peeps that are just applying for hnd now

You didnot understand my question. You know that bsc holders with upper division do go for masters straight but hnd holders will pass through pgd before going for masters. My ques is simple since the hnd and bsc re now equal according to this new development, will universities allow hnd holderrs do masters straight without pgd?
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Akalia(m): 11:33am On Aug 03, 2016
I want to make two points with respect to the dichotomy issue.

(1) Bsc and HND are two different tertiary educational qualifications, adopted to serve their respective relevant purposes in sundry fields of practice and as such there is a disparity between them but most importantly none is neither superior nor inferior to the other.

(2) The obliteration of this undesirable dichotomy should not end in paper work and media hype, the federal government should demonstrate this resolution in the civil service employment and promotion standards (equity for both classes of qualifications must be put in place).

3 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by bigtt76(f): 11:40am On Aug 03, 2016
My thoughts exactly. Maybe all HND Graduates should be re-issued with a new certificate bearing the decision undecided

Abimloaded:
This removal of a thing is just an agreement And removal on Paper.
Go out there with your HND Certificate and let those who graduated in a university present their B.Sc Certificate then you'll know those firms, Companies haven't removed the whatever they call it 'cos they'll mostly prefer the B.Sc to the HND.

You may call the Adamu Adamu to come to your Aid if such happens to you! grin grin

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by joshuaidibia(m): 11:44am On Aug 03, 2016
kings09:
R u scared of the HND grads? Beta buckle up cos HND engineering guys r used to practicals alredy while the university is all about theory n paper drawings. The psychological superiority u enjoyed has bn removed so beta ginger/upgrade urslf
As a geologist,i see no competition. Although life's a race. I'm already at the touchline

3 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Barackmeringo: 11:45am On Aug 03, 2016
greggng:

You didnot understand my question. You know that bsc holders with upper division do go for masters straight but hnd holders will pass through pgd before going for masters. My ques is simple since the hnd and bsc re now equal according to this new development, will universities allow hnd holderrs do masters straight without pgd?

I do brother.

You already have your hnd cert, so you don't qualify for it.

Only for new hnd graduands sir

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Alajiki(m): 11:48am On Aug 03, 2016
I am a banker, a BM. I graduated from Polytechnic and in the process of employment, I dusted many BSc holders. Over 80,000 of us wrote the exam and only 550 were eventually employed bank wide. That was 2006.

Fast forward to today, I'm about to finish an Economics course at the University of Ibadan. If you know any UI graduate, the would tell you how tough Economics is in UI.

I can boldly say that there is no much difference in what I'm being taught now and what I had known before. In fact, my residual knowledge from the polytechnic has been very useful to my success in the current programme.

This policy by the FG should be taken a step further by establishing a bridge programme for existing HND holders to prepare them for MSc and ultimately PhD.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by kings09(m): 11:51am On Aug 03, 2016
OK bro. We will all get thr, watever our desires in life. Amen
joshuaidibia:
As a geologist,i see no competition. Although life's a race. I'm already at the touchline
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by BISIXCLUSIVE: 11:54am On Aug 03, 2016
mamaafrik:
Some bsc holders wont be happy with this.........,the competition has just started,polys will start restructuring their system,less direct entry(only nce holders),less struggle for universities,university systems also will work on their structure because there will be no more "theory orientations",POLY PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER BUHARI AND BE GRATEFUL TO HIM,Selah.
Who told you? quote me next year, the dichotomy will be removed again next year, no be today den dey remove am, who no want better thing, most of our politicians ar university graduates even there children, they are just playing politics in every thing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by AbuSaad39(m): 11:56am On Aug 03, 2016
kings09:
R u scared of the HND grads? Beta buckle up cos HND engineering guys r used to practicals alredy while the university is all about theory n paper drawings. The psychological superiority u enjoyed has bn removed so beta ginger/upgrade urslf
I tell you. I'm a Graduate of OND in Chemical Engineering, I'm currently doing my 1year IT in NNPC, to be frankly a 400L student can't differentiat between a Pump and a Compressor and doesn't know their applications in the industry, buh I tried by all means in putting the student through.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by fxbot: 11:57am On Aug 03, 2016
mamaafrik:
Some bsc holders wont be happy with this.........,the competition has just started,polys will start restructuring their system,less direct entry(only nce holders),less struggle for universities,university systems also will work on their structure because there will be no more "theory orientations",POLY PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER BUHARI AND BE GRATEFUL TO HIM,Selah.
OBJ initiated it but it was halted by some nonentities immediately he left office.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by fxbot: 11:58am On Aug 03, 2016
BISIXCLUSIVE:
Who told you? quote me next year, the dichotomy will be removed again next year, no be today den dey remove am, who no want better thing, most of our politicians ar university graduates even there children, they are just playing politics in every thing.
lol. this one is very different o.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Skmoda360(m): 12:00pm On Aug 03, 2016
naijaboiy:
In my opinion, this is a good move. We should stop the degradation of HND graduates.

NAIRALANDERS PLEASE CHECK MY SIGNATURE.

Voting Has Commenced!

exactly
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Richardfred(m): 12:03pm On Aug 03, 2016
kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by neweraomo: 12:07pm On Aug 03, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
BEFORE IT CAN WORK OUT HE GO TEY OOO just look at this if i go for an interview am a bsc holder..an d the person beside me is an hnd holder.. who they go take first no be bsc... even i go even be payed higher than them.....before it will work out will take a long time.. cool cool in upgrading the two together
very bad pidgin,I bet your standard English's gonna be so worst and yet you think you are a bsc holder. .You and bad English are like

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Handsomecole(m): 12:09pm On Aug 03, 2016
This is ordinary paper work. Just to give polytechnic graduates hope. It's a cemented psychology Poly products can never be equal with that of University products.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by slytubadth(m): 12:16pm On Aug 03, 2016
Babysho:

Are you a BSC holder?
i know where you are driving out?
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by naijaboiy: 12:16pm On Aug 03, 2016
Skmoda360:

exactly
Have you voted today sir?

Please I need your help to vote my candidate. He goes by the name of iamkingzlee.

Just click the link on my signature, go to the thread and type " I vote iamkingzlee" and then mention the judge "cc: nljega".

I will really be counting on you Sir. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate / See How My Students Wrote Exams This Morning / See What They Did To This Guy After His Final Year Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.