Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,127 members, 7,821,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

*MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc - Business (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc (91498 Views)

Marketing Your Kindle / Createspace Ebook Effectively 2018 / How To Sell T-shirts On Amazon And Make $400/day Without Investing A Dime!! / Lady Ordered For A Transparent Chair On Amazon And Got This (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 8:18am On Dec 29, 2016
AgreatMan:

@ancienttimes. Yeah, the promo is on, you get 50usd in free adverts from Amazon, it will end by the end of this year tho. However, you will need to register a seller account with Amazon.com, but you cannot have a seller-central account as a Nigerian.

I sent an email that I am only interested in the sponsored adverts and I am not selling, but they said NO! In my case however, I happen not to be in Nigeria and the country I am in, is allowed to have an Amazon seller account. Again, I mailed them and they replied this time around, that it doesn't matter if I already have createspace, kdp or amazon.com account with my Nigerian details, and that I can still register on seller central with my foreign details.

I just wanted to share this, so that people will realize this. With time, as I stabilize in this thing, I will share my niche information with the group. I really don't have a proven strategy yet. There isn't really nothing to be proud of that much. But if it will inspire ancienttimes, I made 800 from one book this December. But guess what? I have some bad reviews (which were not related to the actual quality of the books) and I will consider myself lucky if I can make 1\4 of that in subsequent months. But I am not giving up, I will keep expanding. In my view, 2 successful books might be enough to get you there. The focus must always be on quality.

Thank you so much for the information on the $50 or adverts. I agree with you. Two thing that must hide your online publishing are quality and speed.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 8:21am On Dec 29, 2016
bros1234:

Thanks for your submission. The essence of this thread is for us to learn while doing and then encourage others. Earning $800 from one book is such a great success. You must have paid great prices and learned a lot before now. Please share more of your story and lessons with us. I believe I have a lot to learn from you. Pls. Pls. Pls.

And yes, thanks for the clarification on the $50 advertising bonus.

Blessings

Plead share your stories, It will be of great help to many of us. Thank you and God bless you.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 8:23am On Dec 29, 2016
bros1234:

Thanks for your submission. The essence of this thread is for us to learn while doing and then encourage others. Earning $800 from one book is such a great success. You must have paid great prices and learned a lot before now. Please share more of your story and lessons with us. I believe I have a lot to learn from you. Pls. Pls. Pls.

And yes, thanks for the clarification on the $50 advertising bonus.

Blessings

Yes please share with us your success stories it will be appreciated
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by einsteine(m): 8:53am On Dec 29, 2016
workkforcelinks:
We offer-
Verification of PayPal account (100% verified)

Removal of paypal account limits.

Withdrawal of funds from paypal account having limit.

New PayPal account (sending/receiving enabled)

VCC for paypal

Withdraw your funds from Fiverr, Freelancer, Elance,Upwork, Paypal etc and get paid in mins. We guide you through the steps needed.

Valid Custom orders are accepted!

This guy is a scam. Don't fall prey. He would tell you that he needs to login to your account to remove the limits. Then he would change the password and security question and answers. He would then try to extort you by asking for a fee to return your account.

He is a thief and scammer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 29, 2016
bros1234:

Bro. play on your strengths. There is no time. If you don't know how to design a cover,then get someone else to do it for you. There is even one guy here that does it for N1,000. I cant remember his username and details. If you read backwards you'll see it.

Blessings
I'm quite okay with Corel draw. I think my designs are well above average.
My problem is the measurement and the likes. In fact, I have covers for them already, I just don't know how to make it fit the requirements in terms of sizes.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 10:03am On Dec 29, 2016
AncientTimes:

This is the guide that I follow. And my covers are not bad either. http://www.creativindie.com/how-to-make-a-full-print-book-cover-in-microsoft-word-for-createspace-lulu-or-lightning-source/

I will however encourage to always turn off your guide after making the Cover. If not createspace will not accept it. Turning off guide means hiding the creastpace template that you got from createspace. Don't let any of your images or text overlap. That is just a little tip on that. I know that many of the gurus in the house use photoshop and other advance softwares for designing their books but I use word 2013.

Let me summarize to you what I did.

1) go to create, generate your cover template and insert the now of page of your document, select white paper, and then the book size. Either 6 × 9 or 5×9 then click on build. Download it as a zip file.
2) unzip it and then make sure that you take out the png createspace template. Now go to Microsoft Word use 2013. Then page set up, for a book of 5×8 you will have to add the spine and 0.125 to each edges. For this book it will be 5+0.125 (top edge) + 5+0.125 (bottom edge) +spine. To calculate your spine multiple number of page count in Word by paper type. For white paper, 0.02252 by page count. For cream paper, multiply 0.025 by page count. For our books that has a 180 pages, we will says 180 ×0.002252 =0.42 I round of the last figures. After doing that, add all the spine. You will 5+5+0.125+0.125+0.125(spine) = 10.66. That is for your weight. Your height will be 0.125+8= 8.25. When you do that, you will notice that you have 10.66×8.25. Now go to word page set up and height put 8.25. In your weight column put 10.66. Let all your margins be zero. When you do that, Microsoft Word will give you a warning. Click ignore. Note: don't copy and paste pictures but under them directly. Besides, make sure you check on the donot compress image file in Word for maximum image quality. After doing that, go to usert, look for your createsoace template and insert it. From my experience using word 2013, I noticed that the template fill up my entire blank word document which is perfect. But if it doesnt, resize it and make sure it fills the entire word document.
3) insert picture for your cover, on the right side of the other half of the template and resize it until it to touches the other line of the cover, which is the spine. Then insert another picture and put it behind the picture on your right. If you don't that, the pictures will overlap, and creastpace will reject it. To do that, right click on the picture you just inserted and you will see bring to front, or send to back. Select send backwards. Then drag the picture to the left side of your template until it fills it. For your spine, insert another picture again, and put it behind the picture on your right. Drag it until it fills the spine.
4) It is more easier if you have already designed a cover for your kindle. You will just take the text and put them there. Make sure that your text are all to the left hands side. Your title, your author name and the rest.
5) Then for your spine text. I use the same text for my author title and author name. All your text must be in text box for easy manipulation.
NOTE: IF Your title is long, Like Gardening Skills: Your complete guide to effective Home Gardening. The text will be too long on the spine, so just use the main title. Gardening Skills. Then your author name will follow it. I normally copy and paste my main text, reduce the font to let say 14. Click on rotate, and I take it and turn it until it is 90 degrees. I do the Same for the author name.
6) for your back text, use the blurb you had written for your kindle and draw a text and paste it there. I normally make mine a little hit fancy.
7) when you look to your right, and you will see a selection pane there. Look for your main picture, which will be the template, it is normally picture one since that is the picture that was first inserted in Word. Click on the small eye sign to hide. Once you do that, your guide is turn off.
Save as pdf and submit it to creastpace.

But for better quality, I suggest you look for a software like Adobe pdf or any other type of pdf. Click on file, print. In the printer option, you will see a printer then click on it and change it to Adobe or Foxit or any other pdf that you have. Click on print. It will give you a save as option. Click save and it will create a pdf for you. Upload it to createspace.

This may sound a little bit though, but if you follow the link that I gave you, you will get it. It took me weeks of practicing to perfect it. And I cN assure you that my covers are not bad at all..

I hope this helps..sorry for the typos.
Bro,this is quite as lot of trouble.
Isn't there a way to do all of this straight from Corel draw and then head to Adobe?
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 11:09am On Dec 29, 2016
Joseid:
My problem is the measurement and the likes. In fact, I have covers for them already, I just don't know how to make it fit the requirements in terms of sizes.

Coral draw is not my area at all. Like I said, there are many gurus who use different softwares out there. Choose the one that best suits you. For me, I use ms Word and I am quite Okay with that. Bros 12345 is very right. He says that you need to play on the area of your strength. That must say that is a wise advise.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 11:17am On Dec 29, 2016
Joseid:
Bro,this is quite as lot of trouble.
Isn't there a way to do all of this straight from Corel draw and then head to Adobe?

Seriously I don't know about coral draw
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 12:38pm On Dec 29, 2016
Joseid:

Corel Draw is very good for designs if you can use it

Kindle cover size spec is: 1563 x 2500

Createspace is: 3848 x2850

For the CreateSpace, you're better off downloading a sample from CreateSpace using this link:

https://www.createspace.com/Help/Book/Artwork.do

There, build your template by selecting your book format and then download the cover template. After that import the template into CorelDraw and design what you want.

2 Likes

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 12:39pm On Dec 29, 2016
AncientTimes:

Coral draw is not my area at all. Like I said, there are many gurus who use different softwares out there. Choose the one that best suits you. For me, I use ms Word and I quite Okay with that. Bros 12345 is very right. He says that you need to play on the are of your strength. That must say that is a wise advise.
Okay.
But you have to agree with me that at some point, I'd need to learn this.
Besides, I'd love to teach someone else someday.
Lemme go look for who can get it done then.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 29, 2016
bros1234:

Corel Draw is very good for designs if you can use it

Kindle cover size spec is: 1563 x 2500

Createspace is: 3848 x2850

For the CreateSpace, you're better off downloading a sample from CreateSpace using this link:

https://www.createspace.com/Help/Book/Artwork.do

There, build your template by selecting your book format and then download the cover template. After that import the template into CorelDraw and design what you want.
Thanks Boss, you're a life saver.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 6:20pm On Dec 29, 2016
Joseid:

Okay.
But you have to agree with me that at some point, I'd need to learn this.
Besides, I'd love to teach someone else someday.
Lemme go look for who can get it done then.

Yes learning is a constant thing. I had to step out to and learn too. At first this sounds so confusing and discouraging. But I tried it one morning on Saturday and there was I, with a great cover. You can learn and improve on things. God bless you so much.

1 Like

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 8:57pm On Dec 29, 2016
Please, what does this KENP READS MEANS? I need more understanding on this please.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by solomonjesus: 11:13pm On Dec 29, 2016
Good job
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 4:39am On Dec 30, 2016
AncientTimes:
Please, what does this KENP READS MEANS? I need more understanding on this please.

It is the number of pages of your book that people borrowed to read. If you enroll your books in KDP Select, people can borrow your books and read and Amazon will pay you for these pages read. Each 3,000 pages of free read is about $15.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 12:45pm On Dec 30, 2016
bros1234:

It is the number of pages of your book that people borrowed to read. If you enroll your books in KDP Select, people can borrow your books and read and Amazon will pay you for these pages read. Each 3,000 pages of free read is about $15.

3,000 for 15 dollars. I thought they say is 172 pages per dollar.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by kissler(f): 10:02pm On Dec 30, 2016
AncientTimes:

This is the guide that I follow. And my covers are not bad either. http://www.creativindie.com/how-to-make-a-full-print-book-cover-in-microsoft-word-for-createspace-lulu-or-lightning-source/

I will however encourage to always turn off your guide after making the Cover. If not createspace will not accept it. Turning off guide means hiding the creastpace template that you got from createspace. Don't let any of your images or text overlap. That is just a little tip on that. I know that many of the gurus in the house use photoshop and other advance softwares for designing their books but I use word 2013.

Let me summarize to you what I did.

1) go to create, generate your cover template and insert the now of page of your document, select white paper, and then the book size. Either 6 × 9 or 5×9 then click on build. Download it as a zip file.
2) unzip it and then make sure that you take out the png createspace template. Now go to Microsoft Word use 2013. Then page set up, for a book of 5×8 you will have to add the spine and 0.125 to each edges. For this book it will be 5+0.125 (top edge) + 5+0.125 (bottom edge) +spine. To calculate your spine multiple number of page count in Word by paper type. For white paper, 0.02252 by page count. For cream paper, multiply 0.025 by page count. For our books that has a 180 pages, we will says 180 ×0.002252 =0.42 I round of the last figures. After doing that, add all the spine. You will 5+5+0.125+0.125+0.125(spine) = 10.66. That is for your weight. Your height will be 0.125+8= 8.25. When you do that, you will notice that you have 10.66×8.25. Now go to word page set up and height put 8.25. In your weight column put 10.66. Let all your margins be zero. When you do that, Microsoft Word will give you a warning. Click ignore. Note: don't copy and paste pictures but under them directly. Besides, make sure you check on the donot compress image file in Word for maximum image quality. After doing that, go to usert, look for your createsoace template and insert it. From my experience using word 2013, I noticed that the template fill up my entire blank word document which is perfect. But if it doesnt, resize it and make sure it fills the entire word document.
3) insert picture for your cover, on the right side of the other half of the template and resize it until it to touches the other line of the cover, which is the spine. Then insert another picture and put it behind the picture on your right. If you don't that, the pictures will overlap, and creastpace will reject it. To do that, right click on the picture you just inserted and you will see bring to front, or send to back. Select send backwards. Then drag the picture to the left side of your template until it fills it. For your spine, insert another picture again, and put it behind the picture on your right. Drag it until it fills the spine.
4) It is more easier if you have already designed a cover for your kindle. You will just take the text and put them there. Make sure that your text are all to the left hands side. Your title, your author name and the rest.
5) Then for your spine text. I use the same text for my author title and author name. All your text must be in text box for easy manipulation.
NOTE: IF Your title is long, Like Gardening Skills: Your complete guide to effective Home Gardening. The text will be too long on the spine, so just use the main title. Gardening Skills. Then your author name will follow it. I normally copy and paste my main text, reduce the font to let say 14. Click on rotate, and I take it and turn it until it is 90 degrees. I do the Same for the author name.
6) for your back text, use the blurb you had written for your kindle and draw a text and paste it there. I normally make mine a little hit fancy.
7) when you look to your right, and you will see a selection pane there. Look for your main picture, which will be the template, it is normally picture one since that is the picture that was first inserted in Word. Click on the small eye sign to hide. Once you do that, your guide is turn off.
Save as pdf and submit it to creastpace.

But for better quality, I suggest you look for a software like Adobe pdf or any other type of pdf. Click on file, print. In the printer option, you will see a printer then click on it and change it to Adobe or Foxit or any other pdf that you have. Click on print. It will give you a save as option. Click save and it will create a pdf for you. Upload it to createspace.

This may sound a little bit though, but if you follow the link that I gave you, you will get it. It took me weeks of practicing to perfect it. And I cN assure you that my covers are not bad at all..

I hope this helps..sorry for the typos.

Try canva.com, I use it to create covers for Kindle and createspace. Quite simple and easy.

1 Like

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 7:08am On Dec 31, 2016
Hello House, any tips on proof reading. Is there online softwares for doing so.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 6:38pm On Dec 31, 2016
Oga Bros 12345 I salute you. I wanted to wish all in the house a happy New Year. May we never forget God as we sell our ebooks Next year. Remember your creator in thr days of your youth!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL KINDLERS
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 6:43pm On Dec 31, 2016
AncientTimes:
Oga Bros 12345 I salute you. I wanted to wish all in the house a happy New Year. May we never forget God as we sell our ebooks Next year. Remember your creator in thr days of your youth!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL KINDLERS

Happy New Year EVERYONE that joined to make this thread lively and enriching. May we sell more books this 2017 in Jesus name.

Amen

1 Like

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by everton4life(m): 7:01pm On Dec 31, 2016
bros1234:

Happy New Year EVERYONE that joined to make this thread lively and enriching. May we sell more books this 2017 in Jesus name.

Amen
sorry to ask this. I registered on sept and I finally got paid day before yesterday. I understand that payment comes sixty days after the first month of registration. does this mean my next payment again will be on February ?
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 8:00pm On Dec 31, 2016
everton4life:
sorry to ask this. I registered on sept and I finally got paid day before yesterday. I understand that payment comes sixty days after the first month of registration. does this mean my next payment again will be on February ?

October payment was made this December, so November (salary) payment will be made in January, while Dec. payment will be made in Feb. So henceforth you will be paid monthly..

Cheers
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 31, 2016
kissler:

Try canva.com, I use it to create covers for Kindle and createspace. Quite simple and easy.
How does it work?
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 31, 2016
bros1234:

October payment was made this December, so November (salary) payment will be made in January, while Dec. payment will be made in Feb. So henceforth you will be paid monthly..

Cheers
Evening sir. I am used to downloading books on free promo to my kindle on pc, but recenntly, I don't see the 1-click download option. Check the screenshot below. have you experience this?

Note: the attached screenshot is on free promo but no option to download to my kindle.

Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 1:49pm On Jan 01, 2017
AncientTimes:
Hello House, any tips on proof reading. Is there online softwares for doing so.

Please house, still. Waiting for answers. Is there any way to proof read books very fast? Can it be done online? Bros 12345 and other gurus in the house.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 1:50pm On Jan 01, 2017
Please house, still. Waiting for answers. Is there any way to proof read books very fast? Can it be done online? Bros 12345 and other gurus in the house.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by bros1234(m): 8:37pm On Jan 02, 2017
AncientTimes:

Grammerly is okay but costs money. Thats the only one I know. The idea is read your book twice, then abandon it for like a week or two and work on others. Then come back to it and you will be shocked to see more ways to improve the work. But more importantly, if possible, get a third eye to look at it.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2017
bros1234:

Grammerly is okay but costs money. Thats the only one I know. The idea is read your book twice, then abandon it for like a week or two and work on others. Then come back to it and you will be shocked to see more ways to improve the work. But more importantly, if possible, get a third eye to look at it.

Okay, thank you so much. But leave it for a week without publishing it on kindle? Then it will affect my goal of publishing one book every two weeks. I worked on a book and published it and I was amazed at the errors that were inside when a friend of mine bought the book. She complained of a lot of errors. I have since corrected it and uploaded it to Facebook.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jan 02, 2017
AncientTimes:

Okay, thank you so much. But leave it for a week without publishing it on kindle? Then it will affect my goal of publishing one book every two weeks. I worked on a book and published it and I was amazed at the errors that were inside when a friend of mine bought the book. She complained of a lot of errors. I have since corrected it and uploaded it to Facebook.
There are different kinds of errors.
Are you referring to spelling errors, grammatical errors or errors of facts and ideas?
Besides, you mean you do not proof read your work after you are done typing? Even for once?
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 11:22pm On Jan 02, 2017
Joseid:
There are different kinds of errors.
Are you referring to spelling errors, grammatical errors or errors of facts and ideas?
Besides, you mean you do not proof read your work after you are done typing? Even for once?
Spelling errors, and some grammatical tool because of rushing. I proof read 2 times before publishing. However, I was amazed at the errors that still remains in there.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 03, 2017
AncientTimes:

Spelling errors, and some grammatical tool because of rushing. I proof read 2 times before publishing. However, I was amazed at the errors that still remains in there.
I'd advise you get the help of a third party who's really good at proofreading. It May save you time to do other things.
Re: *MODIFIED* Making Money With Publishing on Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace, etc by AncientTimes: 9:27am On Jan 03, 2017
Joseid:
I'd advise you get the help of a third party who's really good at proofreading. It May save you time to do other things.

Yes I need to get that. That is really important.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (42) (Reply)

CBN Redesigns 200, 500 & 1000 Naira Notes / What Is A Domiciliary Account? / Shipping From China To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.