Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' (5737 Views)

Coffins Of Ocholi, His Wife And Son, To Be Buried Today (Photos) / Kano PDP Primaries: Takia Wins As Abacha’s Son Withdraws / Breaking!!! Jonathan And Abacha's Son In A Close-Door Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Sep 22, 2009
[size=13pt]The son of Nigeria's former military ruler Sani Abacha has told the BBC he is strongly considering running for the governorship of Kano state.

The BBC's Bala Ibrahim in Kano says colourful posters of Mohammed Abacha have been put up across the city.

Mohammed Abacha spent three years in prison on charges of embezzlement before being freed in 2002.

His father ruled Nigeria from 1993 until he died in 1999. He is thought to have embezzled billions of dollars.

Mr Abacha told our correspondent he was under a lot of pressure to seek the governorship but was still consulting stakeholders.

Last month, he said he would enter politics but did not specify which office he would seek.

The next national elections are due in 2011.

Happy Eid

Our correspondent says Mr Abacha is close to the People's Democratic Party, which is in power nationally but in opposition in Kano state.

The posters from Mr Abacha wish people a happy Eid - the Muslim festival to mark the end of Ramadan. They do not include a party emblem.

This is something traditionally done by politicians in the majority Muslim state.

His entry into politics is generating a lot of controversy, our correspondent says.

Mr Abacha is a reserved man and this could count against him but his family's riches will help him, our correspondent says.

Swiss banks have returned millions of dollars belonging to the Abacha family to the Nigerian state but they are still hugely wealthy.

As well as the embezzlement charges, Mr Abacha was also cleared of murder by the Supreme Court in 2002, sparking street celebrations in Kano.

He had been accused of ordering the murder of the wife of Moshood Abiola, who is believed to have won the 1993 elections which were annulled by the military, before Sani Abacha seized power.

Mr Abiola died in prison in 1999 just a month after Gen Abacha. [/size]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8268270.stm
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by Nobody: 3:49pm On Sep 22, 2009
And what about that?
Is he worst than Aondakaa, Akala, Kalu, OGB, Shekarau, Turaki and even Yaradua that are still in politics?

Same nigerians that are shouting kill him will be the same people that will kill for him the moment he throws a few naira notes on them.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by banom(m): 4:10pm On Sep 22, 2009
His father ruled Nigeria from 1993 until he died in 1999. He is thought to have embezzled billions of dollars.

Mr Abiola died in prison in 1999 just a month after Gen Abacha.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8268270.stm
[quote][/quote]

Is Either the poster is poorly informed about nigerian affair, or where ever he or she picked the news is also poorly informed about Nigerian affair,

Was abacha nigerian president in 1999 or was already in the grave as of then. how come he ruled Nigeria till 1999 before handing over ?
Was it In 1999 that Abacha died ?
Was it in 1999 that Abiola died ?
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by mustafar1: 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2009
theres really nothing wrong in him going into politics, it is how his people react that matters.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by naliakar: 5:00pm On Sep 22, 2009
Is it not Achebe who said elsewhere that "Living fire begets cold, impotent ash". Abacha's son may offer a contrast in leadership form his father and should  give it a go.
What I can't vouch for is whether or not Abacha was "living fire" or  "icy cold  and flameless"?
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by nickybayo(f): 6:06pm On Sep 22, 2009
he will win. for this naija.
he might even become president later on.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by sleekp1: 9:31pm On Sep 22, 2009
If foolish Kano citizens wants him to embezzle their money its their right, (people get the leader they deserve).
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by Kobojunkie: 9:35pm On Sep 22, 2009
Am I the only one here who sees the crack in the USUAL argument from many on here? When told to stand up for their right, people complain that they are too powerless and too paralysed to do anything to change the situation.  In fact the theory is the average Nigerian is as useless as a pumpkin when it comes to moving in such a way as to change the status quo.

But here we have Nigerians effectively claiming that the only reason this man would make it is if the people allowed it; essentially voted him in? Since when did the people acquire this power to CHOOSE who gets voted in and who doesn't? How come?
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by Gbawe: 9:42pm On Sep 22, 2009
must_a_far:

theres really nothing wrong in him going into politics, it is how his people react that matters.

Sensible viewpoint.  The most sophisticated  societies , willing to respect and secure the fundamental human rights of every citizen ,  must attempt to refrain - as much as possible-  from visiting the sins of a father upon his son. I would prefer for Nigerians to be politically mature enough to assess Abacha's son on his merits, achievements and leadership views. If he falls short  politically don't vote for him. Personally I don't think Mohammed Abacha has anything  to offer as a Politician .  I would prefer for the citizens of Kano to work this out for themselves. That type of maturity will ensure we reject mediocrity consistently as is done in the most politically advanced nations of the World.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by posakosa(m): 9:48pm On Sep 22, 2009
what exactly has he done for the people of Kano thus far ? undecided
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by posakosa(m): 9:51pm On Sep 22, 2009
Slowly, Slowly, another Abacha might become president, slowly, slowly, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Father or no father, he hasn't done anything to warrant becoming Governor, talkless of cleaner of any state,
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by Kobojunkie: 10:03pm On Sep 22, 2009
posakosa:

Slowly, Slowly, another Abacha might become president, slowly, slowly, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Father or no father, he hasn't done anything to warrant becoming Governor, talkless of cleaner of any state,

But who gets to decide if he gets elected? the people or the so-called godfathers?
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by udezue(m): 10:16pm On Sep 22, 2009
damn shame
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by chic2pimp(m): 10:20pm On Sep 22, 2009
Another ABACHA. Pls Noooooooooooo
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by asha80(m): 10:29pm On Sep 22, 2009
chic2pimp:

Another ABACHA. Pls Noooooooooooo

You cannot do anything to stop him.

If the kano indegenes have no qualms about his prospects then it is fine by me.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by kuntama: 10:30pm On Sep 22, 2009
Every country truly gets the leader(s) they deserve. Nigeria is a prime example of this homily.
Monumental idiots that we are.
What amazes me is the complete lack of shame of his father's deeds. Guess what, this characterises a lot of Nigerians I meet. NO SHAME.
To top it all, his understanding of the Nigerian psyche is so complete, he KNOWS he will get "voted" in. He's simply undecided yet which bit of the current regime will be most lucrative for him.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by debosky(m): 10:34pm On Sep 22, 2009
For once I agree with Nuzo - can he be any worse than Aondoakaa and co?

Abacha was clearly evil and destroying people's lives, these 'democratic' ones are doing so but lying to us at the same time.

As long as the people of Kano want him and it is legal (what am I saying? Anything can be legal with Aondoakaa) for him to contest, then so be it.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by chic2pimp(m): 10:39pm On Sep 22, 2009
asha 80:

You cannot do anything to stop him.

If the kano indegenes have no qualms about his prospects then it is fine by me.
You've got a point there.

We just have to wait and see. He might turn out to be different from his dad after all.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by Kobojunkie: 10:42pm On Sep 22, 2009
chic2pimp:

You've got a point there.

We just have to wait and see. He might turn out to be different from his dad after all.

So this is now a game to be left to chance??
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by posakosa(m): 10:52pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

But who gets to decide if he gets elected? the people or the so-called godfathers?

Do people have a voice in Nigeria undecided undecided undecided undecided, godfathers get to choose IMO

People can CHOOSE to have a voice but they would rather leave to China, U.S.,, I mean who wants to die for
nothing ? undecided undecided
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by chic2pimp(m): 10:57pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

So this is now a game to be left to chance??

What other choice do we have? undecided

If he is the better of two candidates put up for election into office,I don't see the reason why not.

posakosa:

Do people have a voice in Nigeria undecided undecided undecided undecided, godfathers get to choose IMO
EXACTLY
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by Kobojunkie: 10:59pm On Sep 22, 2009
How would you KNOW if he is the better candidate?
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by posakosa(m): 11:03pm On Sep 22, 2009
^^^^^^ what has he done thus far for the masses ? where and what is his track record ?
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by posakosa(m): 11:12pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

We dont know,
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by chic2pimp(m): 11:25pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I can't give you an answer that question right now.

When both candidates begin their campaign for office,the masses can then decide which candidate they feel will make the better governor based on their individual policies.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by posakosa(m): 11:29pm On Sep 22, 2009
chic2pimp:

When both candidates begin their campaign for office,the masses can then decide which candidate they feel will make the better governor based on their individual policies.

Huh? the masses decide? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Nigerian Governors have policies, huh ? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by chic2pimp(m): 12:18am On Sep 23, 2009
posakosa:

Huh? the masses decide? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

They do have a vote,don't they?

Even If rigging of elections are now the norm.

posakosa:

Nigerian Governors have policies, huh ? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
I believe they do.

Its just that they do disregard them when they get into office.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by bawomolo(m): 1:13am On Sep 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

During the campaign. It's left to the people of Kano to decide their fate. This is a state where Abacha has a stadium named after him so of course his son is probably beloved there.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by sjeezy8: 1:16am On Sep 23, 2009
i mean hows it possible?

I just dont understand any other country a criminal wouldn't even have the guts to do politics in a country he and his father robbed blind
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by mustafar1: 1:32am On Sep 23, 2009
why are some of you crying wolf because of his decision to run for political office?
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by udezue(m): 8:27am On Sep 23, 2009
He has no shame. After his father butchered Ogoni people.

We know he had a hand in the murder of Kudirat Abiola.

SMH. Naija ppl deserve what they get.
Re: Abacha's Son 'to Enter Politics' by princekevo(m): 10:09am On Sep 23, 2009
Gbawe:

Sensible viewpoint.  The most sophisticated  societies , willing to respect and secure the fundamental human rights of[b] every citizen [/b] ,  must attempt to refrain - as much as possible-  from visiting the sins of a father upon his son. I would prefer for Nigerians to be politically mature enough to assess Abacha's son on his merits, achievements and leadership views. If he falls short  politically don't vote for him. Personally I don't think Mohammed Abacha has anything  to offer as a Politician .  I would prefer for the citizens of Kano to work this out for themselves. That type of maturity will ensure we reject mediocrity consistently as is done in the most politically advanced nations of the World.

What kinda of human right are you talking abt, in what sophisticated society? I know this can only be possible in Nigeria where everthing goes, for all we do is sitdon dey look.

If i understand your point of view quite well then some day Osama bin laden's son might happen to be an  American citizen and can boldly contest and win governorship election in America or some day the world will nominate Adolph Hitler's son for UN Secretary general coz their fundermental human rights need to be protected.

What human right does the children of criminals,tyrants, terrorist,and loothers deserve.The human right their father denied others?
Listen Other western country have their ways of silencing such families for life.For instance let your surname be Osama binladen and see if any western embassy will grant you visa, becoz the sins of the father should not visit the children as you claim.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NAF Has Only One Serviceable Aircraft For Training’ / David Mark New Position In The Senate House (photo) / Reps To Investigate Rowdiness At Wednesday’s Plenary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.