Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,582 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Nigerians: We Are Racists! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians: We Are Racists! (4621 Views)

Nigerians: We Don't Live In Paradise And We Know It / Stop Lieing To Nigerians, We Are Not Winning The War- Soldiers Cry Out / America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by taex(f): 8:08pm On Sep 24, 2009
@ gamine, the belief in races is not what promotes racism, pls forget that. It is the belief that one race is better than the other that is the problem. We are not blind. when a white man looks in the mirror and sees creamy skin, and then looks out in the world n sees chocolatey skin, any human cant but categorize. it is any inferiority or superiority complex that is the problem.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Nobody: 10:18pm On Sep 24, 2009
Ijebu and Edo?

that makes you FBI or CIA or how did they put it on the Ijebu website?
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by away4real(m): 9:43am On Sep 25, 2009
tae_x:

@away4real, the only answer that i have for you is the same one u seem not to be getting. Nobody is disputing that the whites WERE the agressors, but it was back in the day, BACK IN THE DAY. They are not so anymore. U need to get that. We as black people have been dealt harsh cards in life, but we cannot keep using that as an excuse for underachievement. We need to work harder than the whites in order to get to the same place in life that they are, that is not fair, but it is what it is and we need to deal with it and get over it.
I am also very offended by you telling me that i live in a bubble, u dont know me from adam, so pls dont make that kind of an assumtion about me, in high school i was beaten up constantly simply because i was one of 4 black girls in a school of 600 students, coins were thrown at me in class everyday, one a girl even broke my arm. The other three werent picked on because they did not speak thier minds, i constantly did and it always landed me in hot water. Now that may not be hardcore enough for you but it was hard for me, they wanted me to stop coming to school because they hated me, but i kept going, everyday, my father even wanted to remove me, but i refused. So dont tell me i live in a bubble or imply that I am naive because i am anything but. If anybody has earned the right to be racist towards whites, it is me. But i learnt to rise above it n realise that not all of them are like that. And there is no big deal to living in the uk, that is not what i meant.
The whole point of this topic is to get to the root of why nigerians are racist, there is simply no call for it. Yh, so we were opressed and sold as slaves, its ancient history. What we forget is that as a race, it also made us stronger.

Oh n lemme ask you a question, ure saying the reason for our lack of success in the uk is not due to our own laziness. Well i assume u dont think ure a lazy person. Why arent u the ceo of a major company? anyone holding u back?

Sweet heart my heart goes out to you for what you went through. I am indeed sorry that you had to be made to go through such experiences as a child from kids. Its commending that you were able to cope with it i say a big congratulations.

On my reference to u living a bubble u need not take offence though i will show below dat it is indeed a bubble. You insulted me earlier referring to the way i think i didn't take an offence anyway my sincere apologies if it offended u. Again your insinuation that i am a lazy person (do u know me from Adam) cld be regarded as offensive, i am not Lazy so its totally irrelevant to me I take no offense.

First lets establish some facts, Nigerians are not racist there is no evidence to back that up so the premise of the whole debate is flawed, if you can provide some data apart of cos from "white girl wit black boy talk" then we can debate that so thread closed.

Back to our diverted debate, as you suggested the white man was initially the aggressor and that d whole experience has made us stronger. I agree on a lot with u particulalry d need for us to realise dat we need to work harder becos we are black but again dis is exactly the problem dats racism, y do u have to work 4 times harder dan someone else becos u are black.

And where i defer fundamentally with you is that i cant say categorically it was BACK IN THE DAY, things have changed but there is still more to do. Let me not be misunderstood i am not suggesting that every white man is racist (i work with some white and wonderful people), but there is an INSTITUTIONAL BIAS still in place that will take just more than mere legislation but a clear, firm and continous will over time by successive govts to change.

Your experience highlights d whole problem. It can help explain and is critical now to the diverted debate. You were harrased in school by white kids geez kids, u suggested they did not want u there. The question is WHY. These kids will grow up tomorrow and all of a sudden u think they will be happy to have u in the same place they work. Then u were 4 but only u stood up, 25% so in other words 75% just decided to do nothing.

My first question to you is are u suggesting now that everything is all right as u said it is BACK IN THE DAY. How much BACK IN THE DAY was your experience. Should we all go to sleep and just decide to work 4 times harder because we are black and just live with it?  Are black kids still been bullied in some schools? If d answer to any of dis question is yes i dont get the reason for this debate.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by away4real(m): 9:44am On Sep 25, 2009
@ poster as much as we want to every one  can not have the same level of will to overcome as you do some will give up easily than others (black, brown, green, yellow or white), these are the things that make us all human beings and y some excel more than others. The issue is that the criteria should be the same for everyone. No one should be discriminated upon and made to work 4 times as hard and live with it becos he is black.
Again dat suggest y d average balck man may be labelled as unduly aggressive and violent he has to work extremely hard for everything. So then d average white man who are our friends have no reason to be racist, the system has done dat for him.

I can go on and on, i am in no way suggesting u agree with me or change your views but only stating the facts the evidence. There is available eidence out there. But as u have done u can choose to ignore d evidence and decide to walk on a higher code living d bigots 2 their little worlds ( in some way its your own bubble but a positive bubble) a bubble as u have created your own reality. But the issue is that we still have to look out for the other 3 girls with u dat could not speak up, some one have to fight for them we cant just sit back and call them lazy, cos they are not. We need to look out for them as well if not who will, if becos i can work 4 times as hard i keep quiet and call the one dat works twice as hard as lazy when he is working twice as hard.

Again i reject as false the notion that blacks are Lazy and only give excuses, it is not ture. Blacks are hard working people. It is this false image that is being projected and becoming reality in the minds of people.

Finally answering your question, y i am not yet a ceo, theoretically i am a ceo but lets not be distracted from the evidence on the skewness of ceo's of fortune 500 companies like there are no competent blacks. There was a documentary recently on JayZ he said something that i have been thinkin 4 a while, he said they refused to sign them on so they started their own record company, they refused to sign them on d fashion line so they started their own fashion label.

So these days i encourage my friends that are shouting glass ceiling (u might or might not undastand dat yet) get out and start your own firms and am doing that Now i am starting my professional service firm. In d last quarter of d year from October precisely I will be going full time establishing my own consultancy have registered my firm and all, am a bit religious so I move on the guidance of the holy spirit so i get the peace it is time.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by emyah(m): 12:01pm On Sep 25, 2009
The only racist people i have ever seen in Nigeria  is Yoruba's/ and with his small Brothers, grin shocked cool
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by taex(f): 5:04pm On Sep 25, 2009
@ away4real, concerning the whole ceo topic, if u read back to my earlier posts, i sed one of the reasons we are not succesful is because we lack the VISION, when i sed that, i was reffering to those who cannot see beyond the glass ceiling (by the way, i do know what that means). So on that particular topic, we are saying the exact same thing. However, Those people, both black and white, that are ceo's, had to do something extraordinary to get there, how many of us are really willing to risk our lifes worth to invest in things that may or may not pan out.

And no, high school was not that long ago, and there is still racism out there, and like an earlier poster said, there is still more work to do in order to overcome it completely, but that is not even the point of this topic.

Whether or not u agree with me, Nigerians are racist, decidedly so. I know that most of it is simply misplaced anger at the current state of affairs for blacks in the world, but we shld at least be enlightened enough to direct the anger to the right place in order to find solutions.

I realise we are not going to agree on this topic, so i am leaving this topic on an amicable note. Thanx 4 a lively discussion.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Kobojunkie: 5:08pm On Sep 25, 2009
@Poster, you are right that africans ( blacks) are equally as racist as they accuse other races of being, and play that card at every opportunity they can, mostly out of hate(racism). I however fail to see the purpose of this thread. Is it to convince people that we are racist, in a country where tribalism reigns supreme or what?
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by ikeyman00(m): 7:54pm On Sep 25, 2009
yes the old racist people in nigeria are the yorubas

plz dnt shoot; im only sayin what i know

cool

once again thanks for listenin

the least racist nigerians are the one in prostitution trafficing

now holla

therefore
thread closed!!
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by away4real(m): 10:10am On Sep 26, 2009
tae_x:

@ away4real, concerning the whole ceo topic, if u read back to my earlier posts, i sed one of the reasons we are not succesful is because we lack the VISION, when i sed that, i was reffering to those who cannot see beyond the glass ceiling (by the way, i do know what that means). So on that particular topic, we are saying the exact same thing. However, Those people, both black and white, that are ceo's, had to do something extraordinary to get there, how many of us are really willing to risk our lifes worth to invest in things that may or may not pan out.

And no, high school was not that long ago, and there is still racism out there, and like an earlier poster said, there is still more work to do in order to overcome it completely, but that is not even the point of this topic.

Whether or not u agree with me, Nigerians are racist, decidedly so. I know that most of it is simply misplaced anger at the current state of affairs for blacks in the world, but we shld at least be enlightened enough to direct the anger to the right place in order to find solutions.

I realise we are not going to agree on this topic, so i am leaving this topic on an amicable note. Thanx 4 a lively discussion.

Thats cool anytime.

As i said earlier we dont have to agree there is no evidence to suggest Nigerians are racist so thats it.

Again Blacks do not lack vision nor are they lazy, the rules are bit skewed, they just have to work 4 times as hard just because they are black.

Since high school was not that long ago i think I kind of undastand where u are coming from.

Thanks also for your time.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by typical: 10:26am On Sep 26, 2009
at away4real. Speaking of preconcieved ideas of superiority, it is our own past that is biting us in the arse. I live in the uk, and I see a lot of black people making it in thier chosen professions. The only difference is that these people are in the minority. The majority of black ppl living in the uk tend to limit themselves, they have no vision because they think like you do. They think that they can never get anywhere as the white man is there to put them down so they dont even bother trying. No be mouth, na work. If these people disregarded the current state of black achievement out there, got a good education and got a first degree, are u telling me that they wld then be discriminated against even though thier credentials are as good or even better than that of the next person? U dont realise that there is actually a system to prevent things like that. If i applied for a job, same as a white man, I have a 1st and so does he, If they take the white man over me, there has to be a damn good reason otherwise i can take them to an employment tribunal and get a whole lotta compensation for it, and dont tell me the system doesn't work because it does. WE are the ones who don't try. Yes there is still racism out there, but we dont believe we can beat it so we dont try, we simply take it out on other innocent whites simply because they have the same color of skin. THAT IS NONSENSE

@bolded. you are either very inexperienced or you're playing dumb. Am employer will always find justification for his/her decision. Maybe you've never really experienced much in the corporate world. OR perhaps you're posting here becos you have a white partner who has felt uncomfortable with some things.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by typical: 10:32am On Sep 26, 2009
Gamine:

So whats wrong with this?? undecided undecided

[b]This is our main problem, perpetuating and enforcing the belief of Race
ofcourse there will be Racism.

I wonder how we cant see its so ridiculous to group people based on skin colour[/b]when you cant explain what happens within.

where did you drop from?

which people in the world class people according to race and skin colour if not whites?
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Gamine(f): 1:43am On Sep 27, 2009
What first attracted you to your 70yr old Italian husband?
Hehehe !!!!! its your stupidity that made me erupt in giggles. An old woman is uneasy when dry bones are mentioned in a proverb hehehe !!!!
Am sure you're in a mixed race relation hence your reaction, its not every woman who would be happy sleeping with an Italian grand father hehehe.
NIGERIAN. RACIST.

FYI: he is 85 and FRENCH.

tae_x:

@ gamine, the belief in races is not what promotes racism, pls forget that. It is the belief that one race is better than the other that is the problem. We are not blind. when a white man looks in the mirror and sees creamy skin, and then looks out in the world n sees chocolatey skin, any human cant but categorize. it is any inferiority or superiority complex that is the problem.

Girl, if you dont believe two things are different how do you make a comparison, whether one is inferior or not,
Anyway i wouldnt go into this with you though, i grew up without a concept of 'race' until i got into secondary school
until it was taught in our schools <crapitty crap>

At first i didnt know where you were coming from by starting this thread but i thought i knew where you were going,
Now, after your ordeal which im very sorry to read, i know where you are coming from and i have no idea where you are going with this thread
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Kobojunkie: 1:54am On Sep 27, 2009
typical:

@bolded. you are either very inexperienced or you're playing dumb. Am employer will always find justification for his/her decision. Maybe you've never really experienced much in the corporate world. OR perhaps you're posting here becos you have a white partner who has felt uncomfortable with some things.

Actually, She is right and you are wrong. There is a system such as the one she described above, that keeps things in check and puts the power in the hands of people to make sure that they are not being discriminated against. I happen to understand what she is saying and believe it is fact.

Sitting back and playing the victim card rather than taking the bull by the horn and using what is available to you, does not excuse you in anyway. The government is not going to follow you everywhere or send a bodyguard to guard you 24/7. You have to proactively use the tools provided for you to fight for your right. That is part of the responsibility of the people in a democracy. If you live in one, learn to act like you do.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Kobojunkie: 1:57am On Sep 27, 2009
away4real:

Thats cool anytime.

As i said earlier we dont have to agree there is no evidence to suggest Nigerians are racist so thats it.

Again Blacks do not lack vision nor are they lazy, the rules are bit skewed, they just have to work 4 times as hard just because they are black.

Since high school was not that long ago i think I kind of undastand where u are coming from.

Thanks also for your time.

There is abundant evidence there that even Nigerians can be racist. Look at the way Tribalism eats deep into the system, not just the poeple, but the system. What do you tribalism is? It is RACISM with a better sounding name so folks can relax, as they point fingers at other races accusing them of being worse. What do you think happened in Rwanda? Sure, we call it ethnic rivalry or tribalism but it is racism.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Nobody: 2:13am On Sep 27, 2009
I think most Nigerians are racist.

As guys, some of us like to nyash white babes, but how many of us can take one home and tell our people we wish to take her as a wife?

I know I couldn't, and I ain't Yoruba. I'm Igbo.

My folks, including my townfolk would say someone has ''done something'' to me (since, obviously, I couldn't possibly have made such a choice with all my faculties intact).

grin
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Kobojunkie: 2:19am On Sep 27, 2009
It is the truth. Many are so racist that oyinbo is only good enough for use as fling and dumped afterwards. I remember when I started asking why the heck many head back home, from here, when ready to get married. And it is not just Nigerians, folks from other countries do same, but considering the way we cry RACISM in black nation, you would expect such would not be common place with us.

Used to know a guy who had two kids by his baby mama. When it came time to marry, he actually went back and picked a stranger to marry. This same dude yarned for years about how love and trust was essential in a successful union.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by chic2pimp(m): 2:30am On Sep 27, 2009
ROSSIKE:

I think most Nigerians are racist.

I wouldn't say most,but definitely many are racist

ROSSIKE:

As guys, some of us like to nyash white babes, but how many of us can take one home and tell our people we wish to take her as a wife?

It's not only black men who do dis ya know. As my friends of all creeds and colour say 'Why not try it on with as many race as possible.It's called sampling ya options' wink grin

ROSSIKE:

My folks, including my townfolk would say someone has ''done something'' to me (since, obviously, I couldn't possibly have made such a choice with all my faculties intact).

grin

Well,that is  true. The standard question you'll get asked his 'Wetin She Give You Chop'
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by FBS: 1:37pm On Sep 28, 2009
chic2pimp:

I wouldn't say most,but definitely many are racist
could you be kind enough to eloborate on this?
Most Nigerians if at all are tribalists but racist, Sh!t f.cuking NO!
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by ikeyman00(m): 2:39pm On Sep 28, 2009
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

oh yessssssssssssssssssss
and how many western countries MR president settle for a black woman??

royal families nko

these baboons might as well sell nigeria for one naira 50 kobo

ewusssssssssssss!!
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by ikeyman00(m): 2:41pm On Sep 28, 2009
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

how many jews settle for non jews!!

ehuu??
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by preselect(m): 2:48pm On Sep 28, 2009
the most racist country i have ever been to . . . . . . NIGERIA

and if u guys dont know it, truth is . . tribalism=racism. u can live in denial for all u care. u cant change the truth.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by ikeyman00(m): 6:20pm On Sep 28, 2009
ok^^^^

my only regret is sucide bombers dey for pakistan and afaghan

olochi
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by FBS: 8:26am On Sep 29, 2009
pres-elect:

the most racist country i have ever been to . . . . . . NIGERIA

and if u guys dont know it, truth is . . tribalism=racism. u can live in denial for all u care. u cant change the truth.

This clearly shows that you have not travelled outside the shores of Nigeria.
Can you name one racist national party in nigeria- political party of course?
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by preselect(m): 9:33pm On Sep 29, 2009
so ur idea of racism is only on political parties? embarassed
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by FBS: 8:07am On Sep 30, 2009
pres-elect:

so your idea of racism is only on political parties? embarassed
Of course not but that only proves and shows how deep racism is in some countries.
If you say Nigeria is the most racist country you've ever been to yet you cannot find this at the top level. . .and there are obviously no national agenda to drive away foreigners unlike in most other countries. What does that tell you?
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Witi(m): 9:24am On Sep 30, 2009
@Ikeyman00 and FBS please forgive them for they know not what they are typing and posting.
emyah:

The only racist people i have ever seen in Nigeria  is Yoruba's/ and with his small Brothers, grin shocked cool
Is that all?
Source? From the dullest mind on heart :emyah.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by grafikdon: 12:17pm On Sep 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

It is the truth. Many are so racist that oyinbo is only good enough for use as fling and dumped afterwards. I remember when I started asking why the heck many head back home, from here, when ready to get married. And it is not just Nigerians, folks from other countries do same, but considering the way we cry RACISM in black nation, you would expect such would not be common place with us.

Used to know a guy who had two kids by his baby mama. When it came time to marry, he actually went back and picked a stranger to marry. This same dude yarned for years about how love and trust was essential in a successful union.

I was immensely embarrassed while watching a Nollywood film a few months ago. A father made a comment that clearly indicated his son who came back from "America" in search of a wife was a wise son because he didn't come home with oyibo woman. I knew I was watching an atrocious Nollymovie but Nigeria is fraught with such brazen display of racial antagonism. The worst part is MOST, if not all do not see is as such, to them it is similar to saying "hello" or "are you hungry". . .no harm done, no harm meant.

However, I must fault the OP's "Nigerians are racists" blanket statement. A lot of Nigerians are more likely to exhibit the most disconcerting racial antagonism (which we gleefully mask as tribalism) towards fellow Nigerians than a foreigner. We all know (even though we try to deny it) that there is a tendency to suck up to ''oyibo'' in Nigeria, some out of inferiority complex , some out of harmless curiosity, while others to some extent suck up for financial aggrandizement.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by preselect(m): 3:57pm On Sep 30, 2009
FBS:

Of course not but that only proves and shows how deep racism is in some countries.
If you say Nigeria is the most racist country you've ever been to yet you cannot find this at the top level. . .and there are obviously no national agenda to drive away foreigners unlike in most other countries. What does that tell you?

your idea of racism is myopic compared to mine. you think racism is only towards foreigners. that is called xenophobia. it is just a fragment of racism. to me, any dislike,maltreatment or unfairness towards another person, based on the person's demographic identity is racism, period cool if u hate me b/c i'm igbo, you are racist. some people will call that tribalism, i call it racism. if u hate me b/c i'm from mbaitolu local govt you are racist. if u hate me b/c i'm anglican/xtian or my accent/dialect or my height/weight/ state of origin/name it is racism. you dont have to get a political party to prove it.

say what u like about foreign countries and parties. only in nigeria have i seen, or heard, thast thousands of people have been maimed/killed b/c of their language or religion for over 50yrs and still counting. i know a lot has happened in europe in the past, but only in nigeria is it still happening in the thousands. h
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by preselect(m): 4:09pm On Sep 30, 2009
check this

1953 kano riots igbos killed in thousands for some political move by AG political party
1956 religious riot thousands killed
1966 tribal riots allover the north against ironsi's unification decree
1967-1970 civil war, a.k.a igbo killing machine unleashed . . .over 2 million civillian women/children deaths . . war huh?
maitasaine riots of early 1980s in various parts of the north . . gombe,yola,azare,kano etc almajiris on the loose, thousands of xtians/igbos/southerners killed. general idiagbon used military force to quell it.

1991 kano riots . . xtians/igbos killed b/c of reihard bonnke crusade
1992 zango-kattaf xtians vs musl-ims explode in kaduna
1999 yoruba vs hausa in shagamu, hausa retaliation in kano
2000 sharia riots kaduna xtians/musli-ms explode in kaduna
2000 aba retaliation
2000 onitcha retaliation northerners killed in thousands
2001 jos riots, hausas vs jos people/xtians thousands explode

2006 dannish cartoon riots in maidugiri, hundreds of xtians killed in the north

dude i cant remember it all, help fill in the blank spaces. the far right parties in england have yet to organise any massive slaughter of foreigners in their land. they are just using their free speech to make noise, and they are minority, at least for now. i'll feel safer living next to them, than living next to mallam shehu in maidugiri. racism
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by preselect(m): 4:10pm On Sep 30, 2009
over 50yrs and the hatred still goes on. the killings continue, for no other reason than demographic identity . . . religion/tribe. over 50yrs, another one may explode somewhere b4 the end of the yr.
you tell me, in which other country does this happen.
if this is not nracsim, tell me what it is angry
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by FBS: 7:18am On Oct 01, 2009
pres-elect:

your idea of racism is myopic compared to mine. you think racism is only towards foreigners. that is called xenophobia. it is just a fragment of racism. to me, any dislike,maltreatment or unfairness towards another person, based on the person's demographic identity is racism, period cool if u hate me b/c i'm igbo, you are racist. some people will call that tribalism, i call it racism. if u hate me b/c i'm from mbaitolu local govt you are racist. if u hate me b/c i'm anglican/xtian or my accent/dialect or my height/weight/ state of origin/name it is racism. you dont have to get a political party to prove it.

say what u like about foreign countries and parties. only in nigeria have i seen, or heard, thast thousands of people have been maimed/killed b/c of their language or religion for over 50yrs and still counting. i know a lot has happened in europe in the past, but only in nigeria is it still happening in the thousands. h

pres-elect:

over 50yrs and the hatred still goes on. the killings continue, for no other reason than demographic identity . . . religion/tribe. over 50yrs, another one may explode somewhere b4 the end of the yr.
you tell me, in which other country does this happen.
if this is not nracsim, tell me what it is angry
You must be stupid.

First, can you define race? Google may assist. That is your assignment.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Pataki: 8:41am On Oct 01, 2009
I think the poster is suffering from semantics.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote Could Be Igbo. Why Is Dangote Neglecting Igboland? / PARASITES: 35 States Can’t Pay Salaries Without Federal funds / North Korea's New Stunning Airport Puts American To Shame

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.