Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,147 members, 7,811,239 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Nigerians: We Are Racists! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians: We Are Racists! (4620 Views)

Nigerians: We Don't Live In Paradise And We Know It / Stop Lieing To Nigerians, We Are Not Winning The War- Soldiers Cry Out / America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Witi(m): 10:29am On Oct 01, 2009
For clarity between Racial and Ethnic discrimination please visit. [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism/url]
To me the cases been cited by pres-elect is Ethnic discrimination not Racial Discrimination.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Gamine(f): 12:10pm On Oct 01, 2009
All you people and your Wikitelligence undecided
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by preselect(m): 2:43pm On Oct 01, 2009
i cant believe someone based his/her argument on what wikipedia says.
when the igbos have their(actually our, b/c i'm igbo too) OSU cast system, what do u call that. it is prejudice. it is racism to me. period. wikipedia cannot convince me what racism is. cool
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by preselect(m): 2:49pm On Oct 01, 2009
FBS:

You must be stupid

wow . . this is the first sign that surfaces when someone cannot express him/herself argumantatively.

let me ignore it. but there is something called critical reasoning. i categorise tribalism with racism. if a yoruba man hates an igbo man you call it tribalism. what of when an owerri man, hates an enugu man, what will you call it? local governmentism?
they say owerre people and mbaise people dont see eye to eye. they hate themselves. so if an owerre man discrininates against mbaise man, u'll call it . . . owerrimbaiseism?

i chose to call it racism. b/c there is no difference between that treatmant and if it was done to someone of another skin color.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by cap28: 1:26am On Feb 05, 2011
Nigerians are not in a postion to be racist as racism is about power that you have over others, in other words to be racist you have to be able to have some sort of control over the lives of people of other races. Black people do not have that power and nigerians definitely do not have that power, dont confuse prejudice ie dislike of people of an other race with racism - racism is prejudice backed up with the power to do something which has a negative effect on someone of another race ie denying them access to employment, housing, medical care, education etc. No black people as a collective group have the power to do this - whites on the other hand do and thats why THEY are racist whereas blacks are merely prejudiced towards other races.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by preselect(m): 6:06pm On Mar 09, 2011
@cap28, racism doesnt necessarily mean the inclusive power to execute prejudice. the mere possession of such an ideaology of racial prejudice with hatred and malice is enough to make someone a racist. wether such maliciousness is executed at all or not.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 09, 2011
Mental slavery
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by coldhearts(f): 7:08pm On Mar 09, 2011
NO, Nigerians are not racist --that is a fact. love it or hate it. We'll leave the racism crown to  our white friends

If you have seen white racism, you won't even compare e.g go to www.stormfront. Racism has not gone away and will not go away, it is a way of life/ mentally deranged delusional life. If all minorities practice racism half as much as these people, the world would cease to exist.

I sure know that i lived in Nigeria without an ounce of hate but then that can change if you are not careful in a place like UK and America- they are subjected to the most ridiculous form of hate and prejudice and this explains why some or few african american are the way they are i think.

Here's an example, i remember  8 yrs ago i took an employer exam, did exceptionally well (i was very qualified for it), the lady said i got the job and sent me to the branch closest to me for the job opened there. I went in and this fat white lady was asking me about elephant tusk in Nigeria shocked . I have never seen one lol, anyway, an innocent and polite me left that place knowing that i wasn't getting the job and no reason was given. By the way, they only had one other black person working there. Also i do know from friends about many more experiences of prejudice.

Yes , many Nigerians don't even bother complain to these so called instutions because there's only so much they can do- it is very pointless most times. We have many so called SILENT SUFFERERS  and they don't complain OK. By the way Nigerians by far have a college degree wherever they go in uk/usa for your info.

@OP and tae et all- if you're starting a racist call, start with our white friends. For the record,  it takes too much energy to be racist so why bother with that : )
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by cap28: 8:22pm On Mar 09, 2011
pres-elect:

@cap28, racism doesnt necessarily mean the inclusive power to execute prejudice. the mere possession of such an ideaology of racial prejudice with hatred and malice is enough to make someone a racist. wether such maliciousness is executed at all or not.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Definition 3 applies in different ways to black and white people.  With white people it usually applies based on an inherent feeling of superiority towards black people, with black people it usually applies based on numerous bad experiences at the hands of whites.   Therefore racism can not be analysed properly without looking at the whole picture as opposed to looking at it as a concept.

The fact that a black person dislikes a white person means nothing if the white person is still able to get on with his life and not be affected by the black person's dislike .

However if the black person's dislike prevents the white person from getting a job, gaining a good education, being able to live wherever they want THEN it becomes a problem, how people feel about you is irrelevant - its what they do with their feelings that count.

Historically whites have used racism in a very harmful way towards blacks   - that is what racism is about.  It is a method of hatred backed up by the state apparatus to curtail the economic, political and psychological progression of black  people - this system is possible because of the economic and political power that whites have over blacks worldwide.

This is the crucial difference, personal dislike does not destroy peoples lives but a system of hatred implemented and institutionalised by a govt system does destroy lives.

Black people are only capable of personal dislike which is actually in reaction to years of abuse suffered at the hands of racist people,  black people are not naturally racist as we have never been in a dominant position with regard to other races of people.   You have to understand that racism is linked to power, a dominant race imposes its cultures and value ssytems on an oppressed race, in doing so the dominant race cultivates feelings of superiority towards the person he dominates, this feeling of superiority is justified by saying that he is merely "civilising" the oppressed race -which is the common justification used by europreans with regard to their oppression of blacks.

Black people are not naturally pre disposed to hate people of other races for no reason because we have historically always been oppressed by others, if you are powerless you are not in a position to imbibe feelings of superiority towards a race which exerts power over you.
Re: Nigerians: We Are Racists! by preselect(m): 10:35pm On Mar 10, 2011
first of all, thanks for being civilized in this debate. some peeps woulda started abusing others.

cap28:

However if the black person's dislike prevents the white person from getting a job, gaining a good education, being able to live wherever they want THEN it becomes a problem, how people feel about you is irrelevant - its what they do with their feelings that count.

i agree with this part of your quote, but i go beyond it. to me, a thief is not only the person who steals, but also the person who would steal if the opportunity comes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

P-harcourt Stampede Victims Didn’t Die In Vain – First Lady / Why Abubakar Audu (68) Is A Bad Choice For Kogi State-Barcanista / We Did Not Kidnap Olu Falae – Fulani Herdsmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.