Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,233 members, 7,811,649 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

"Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? (25768 Views)

My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! / My Lord, I Have Two Husbands, Can I Divorce One? - Woman Asks Ibadan Court / '29 Years Together, My Mum Is Still Looking At My Dad Like This' - Nigerian Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by YEM101: 10:38pm On Aug 19, 2016
Your mum shld respect herself too, respect is reciprocal

2 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by olubenjazzy(m): 10:51pm On Aug 19, 2016
Sphinx02:
"You don't hv to like my peps,jst pretend or mk an effort when you're around them.". is it too much to ask.

Pretend for how long?

3 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Elxandre(m): 11:02pm On Aug 19, 2016
You don't need to tell her this!

I won't forgive any woman who badly disrespects my mum, but I won't go about making unnecessary threats like a pessimist who expects trouble beforehand.

5 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by okirewaju(f): 11:03pm On Aug 19, 2016
Ghost447:
What is meaningless there? My mum has sacrificed everything for me, and I will not allow any harm or disrespect to come through me to her, I cannot be weakened by what you people referred to as love.
I agree with you on Mothers been precious.

That does not mean I walk up to my hubby and say "disrespect my mum and I leave the marriage"

2 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by itzsniper(m): 11:08pm On Aug 19, 2016
the only solution is.... don't allow ur mun or ur mum inlaw to live permanently with u in ur matrimonial home shikena

1 Like

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Nweike1: 11:13pm On Aug 19, 2016
not harsh at all. You have to make it clear to your 'woman' that you don't joke with your mother

1 Like

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Ugosample(m): 11:25pm On Aug 19, 2016
itzsniper:
the only solution is.... don't allow ur mun or ur mum inlaw to live permanently with u in ur matrimonial home shikena

I agree to an extent.

All in laws from both sides should know their limits.

But we should not cast them out completely though.
Every Body know your boundaries and stick to it.
Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by KoldKash(m): 11:33pm On Aug 19, 2016
daretodiffer:
What is so special about your mum? You guys act like you folks always respect your mother in laws tooundecided

I hope you also told your mama the same thing because your wife deserve respect as much as she does. In fact every human being deserve respect-:\

Is your mum not special to you?
Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by KoldKash(m): 11:36pm On Aug 19, 2016
baddestchic:
you went too far ooooo..... there are other ways to talk to your partner than putting her on hot seat.... your mum just comes and goes... your wife is your family Now too.

Bad philosophy!
Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by KoldKash(m): 11:48pm On Aug 19, 2016
Lumig:
I remembered when I was still young, my mum would always say the wrong thing about her MIL. Now my wife is always threatened with her presence and utter rubbish and look for any mistake she does but can't say it in her presence. MY CONCLUSION IS "WOMEN GENERALLY ARE THEIR OWN ENEMIES" From generation to generation they keep on lamenting about the MIL, later the daughter in law... On and on like that. They are such a difficult beings to comprehend

On point
Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Damola00: 11:50pm On Aug 19, 2016
After you divorce her you can now marry your mom.. A good girl who came from good background would never disrespect your family. She will have no intention to disrespect any member of your family from a to z even your friends. So before you marry check how they live in their family because it's bad to divorce your partner without concrete reason.

1 Like

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by KoldKash(m): 11:50pm On Aug 19, 2016
diva90:
But if your mum disrespect your wife, what will happen? undecided
Your choice of words is very wrong. There are other ways to have said it instead of threatening with divorce.
Secondly I don't think it's okay to verbally and indirectly make it known to your wife that your mother is more important than her.
You can think it but never say it in any form

Never say it in any form for fear of what?

You don't know what some mothers have been through to raise their children.all mothers are not the same,some mothers are super-they paid a very steep price to raise the husband you marry.and no sensible son will give away her mother to be insulted and scorned just to prove he loves his wife-because that's what some wives yearn for-to turn a child away from the mother.until that is achieved,they don't feel loved or cherished.

1 Like

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Ghost447(m): 11:54pm On Aug 19, 2016
okirewaju:
I agree with you on Mothers been precious.

That does not mean I walk up to my hubby and say "disrespect my mum and I leave the marriage"
My dear, you ought to understand that we react to issues differently. Honestly speaking if you see what some mothers go through because of their children, you can't do otherwise.
Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by KoldKash(m): 12:11am On Aug 20, 2016
Rheetaa:

Sorry I got a bit sensitive. I'd NEVER disrespect my mum-in-law or in-laws and my hubby has made it clear to them (even in my absence) that disrespecting his wife is a no-no. Some women ARE what they are and a real man strikes the balance between both sides without conflict.

Ego on the part of husband or wife'll only set the home on fire. And, guys, never show wife or mother that you love one more. Trust me, no woman would like that, not even your mother.

A wife is a wife and a mother is a mother.no contest no competition.

1 Like

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by MadCow1: 12:17am On Aug 20, 2016
Sphinx02:
"You don't hv to like my peps,jst pretend or mk an effort when you're around them.". is it too much to ask.

Well Said..

2 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by KoldKash(m): 12:17am On Aug 20, 2016
They no born that woman well wey no go show my mama respect. And my best way to help her is not to marry her. Repugnant and saucy women don't change;particular in this age where we know it all and nothing matters any more.

2 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by MadCow1: 12:18am On Aug 20, 2016
KoldKash:

A wife is a wife and a mother is a mother.no contest no competition.

Marriage is wife first before Mother.. That's the no. 1 rule.

3 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Nobody: 12:20am On Aug 20, 2016
finally going to bed o.... but honestly i dont understand why some men are supporting wrong things... this op self

thats why families are not moving forward because you dont want to be objective,that babe is suppose to run from you sha but thats my own opinion,my prayer is with her

God just one prayer... that prayer i prayed before ehn... its still that one

3 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 12:20am On Aug 20, 2016
Some people on this thread told the OP to go bleep his mother. Why would a reasonable human being utter that kind of statement? This statement is coming out from ladies. It is a pity that many of these ladies would end up to be bad wives.
My mum never disrespected her mother in-law, same applies to my Dad. So, I don't expect my wife to disrespect my parents.
Where was she when my mother was running helter skelter for me to be someone in life? Wife can leave a man during tough period but mother would always stay behind her son during a tough period.
God bless our mothers and any wife that does not want to see her mother in-law or see her as a threat na thunder go fire you.

3 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by KoldKash(m): 12:27am On Aug 20, 2016
MadCow1:

Maybe for you.but not me for sure. Only my mother can be my mother.And any woman who want me for keeps should respect that.
Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Getintouch2004(m): 12:31am On Aug 20, 2016
grin grin ;DThe girls here don't like this post for real mehn.
OP, nice of you. Don't mind them.

1 Like

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by KoldKash(m): 12:32am On Aug 20, 2016
Any woman who feels threatened by a "normal" mother in-law doesn't mean well for her husband.

1 Like

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:53am On Aug 20, 2016
See vexing

1 Like

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by MadCow1: 1:05am On Aug 20, 2016
My wife knows to respect my Mother irrespective and my Mother knows not to disrespect my Wife as I will not tolerate it from her or any one.

In hierarchy of importance in my life, its my wife, my kids, my parents and then my siblings in that order.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Asalyn2016: 1:11am On Aug 20, 2016
[color=#000000][/color][quote author=MadCow1 post=48635866]

Your opinion sir!!... Not applicable to everyone!!
Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by MadCow1: 1:16am On Aug 20, 2016
Asalyn2016:

I didn't say it was applicable to everyone did i?

However, that is just the harsh truth about marriage.

Remember that your Mother is your Father's wife. I'm sure you wouldn't like it very much if your father placed a higher priority on your Grandma than he did on your Mum.

grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Asalyn2016: 1:24am On Aug 20, 2016
[quote author=MadCow1 post=48636303]

I did[/color]n't say it was applicable to everyone did i?

However, that is just the harsh truth about marriage.

Remember that your Mother is your Father's wife. I'm sure you wouldn't like it very much if your father placed a higher priority on your Grandma than he did on your Mum.

Well Said bro!!...not disputing the principle of marriage but the key is to maintain a balance. No one likes to be a second fiddle. Ans am sure you wldnt like it if ur mum had played favouritism with you and ur siblings. [color=#006600]
Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Nobody: 2:35am On Aug 20, 2016
Personally, i believe you were too harsh. I do not think you are a mummy's boy but perceive you as someone who knows he made a mistake. If you were perfectly at peace with your assertion you wouldn't be seeking approval and support on Nairaland.

1. You should have employed tact and diplomacy. You should have made your girl realize that you wouldn't accept that kind of disrespect from her but you wouldn't allow your mum disrespect her. That way she feels valued, Marriage is not a dictatorship but you have sown the seeds of fear and a feeling that she is worth-less than she actually is to you. If she is a sensitive person, she will find it hard to relate to you freely when married for fear of divorce. If she is a hard headed person, she will bid her time and dare you to do your worst. Please learn how to use tact, it can save you from unnecessary drama.

2. You trust your mum, yes but she is a human being. Do not underestimate what mothers can do when they may feel their position in their child's life is threatened. Not all mothers but some. Likewise explain to your mother that for peace to reign she should accord your wife her due respect.

3. Sometimes women do not disrespect their MIL deliberately, everyone has a different meter for what they refer to as disrespect . You should gradually and with tact teach your girl where the lines of disrespect lie.

You have made an error, no amount of people providing validity for your statement hides the fact that you did not think out your statement before saying it. You cannot retract it but in the future apply tact, make your points without making your girl feel less loved and less afraid of imminent divorce.

If you still stand by your statement, try and imagine how many marriages would still be standing if all men divorced their wives when they were disrespectful to their mothers. (That said, i do not in anyway support and endorse disrespect of Wife or MIL )

3 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by illuminada: 2:36am On Aug 20, 2016
Sphinx02:
I recently told my lady this but she felt it wz harsh.Is it? Anyways d mssg has been received loud and clear.

As long as you are willing to accept the same obligation..there should be no qualms

1 Like

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by nyabinghi(m): 3:56am On Aug 20, 2016
Nairaland women forming don dada here while at home they dare not dare their husbands. A mum will most times be there for her son but most wives won't be there for their husbands. Wicked MIL's abound same way rude women exist these days. Disrespect someone's demigod and get fired. Did the guy's mum not risk her life too to bring him to this world. Marriage involves more than two people, we aint whites.

1 Like

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by Seahawk: 5:22am On Aug 20, 2016
Marry your mom. Yeye

3 Likes

Re: "Disrespect My Mum I Divorce You" .too Harsh? by excellentmomma(f): 5:40am On Aug 20, 2016
Winneygirl:
We all should learn to live peacefully with one another.
She becomes your family too. Just like your Mum is family.
Respect her, and let your family respect her as well.
All d issues between DILs and MILs stem from where one party doesn't have enough respect for the other party.
Your wife has to respect your family, and your Mum has to respect your marriage.
Respect is not for only one set of people to give, and another set to receive.
Everyone should give respect.

Likes a million times

OP sees his so called lady as an abandoned commodity he is helping out of the market. As if divorcing her sends her to the great beyond.
I've seen where a MIL out of jealousy and feeling of loosing her son raised uneccessary fights and at the end they lost a lady destined to help the family. Every DIL is not a liability naa.
Today all her own 6 daughters are home with her, over aged and not married. Nemesis always catches up with wickedness naa.
Today the lady is doing well in her new husband's house and the new wife the former MIL chose for her son, another round of fight has started. Lolzz.
The whole family feels entitled to the guy and by extension whoever he will marry. And maybe because the sisters are not getting married too and not even engaged sef, all attention is what Adaobi did and what she didn't do.

Women generally shouldn't put all emotions on be it son or brother if not there is no way they won't feel lost out when he marries and most times pick up a fight. Women should be engaged in a trade or career too, to be focused and utilise excess energy in meaningful things other than in fighting and gossips.
So op have it in mind that divorcing her is not harsh on her alone, but harsh on you both. (afterwards you are also a divorcee too), the world has moved on, pls catch up. I still wonder the kind of lady you are issuing threats to like that. Mtcheew. Love and respect are reciprocal.
cc: Sphinx02

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Children And Their Parent's unclothedness / 23 Ways To Win Over Your Mother-in-law / The Biggest Mistake Nigerian Parents Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.