Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,782 members, 7,820,739 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread (34043 Views)

Liverpool vs Leicester city thread closed due to nairaland mod hegemony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:07am On Nov 02, 2017
Napoli have dropped two points in 11 Serie A matches this season and had lost just two of their last 23 European home games, and still managed to lose despite playing out of their skin.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:08am On Nov 02, 2017
Napoli had conceded three goals at home all season were powerless to stop Guardiola's men smashing four past them in 60 minutes.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:09am On Nov 02, 2017
City defeated Napoli despite starting without David Silva, Kyle Walker, Vincent Kompany, Benjamin Mendy and Gabriel Jesus, despite going behind in the game and despite seeing their momentum stalled in the second half with the penalty.

3 Likes

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:12am On Nov 02, 2017
City notched their 14th successive win, continued their finest ever start to a Champions League campaign and booked their place in the knockout rounds.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:15am On Nov 02, 2017
Record breaker! Sergio Aguero nets City goal 178 to beat Eric Brook's scoring record.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:16am On Nov 02, 2017
Qualify for knockout stages
Aguero breaks scoring record
Club record 13th consecutive win
Unbeaten this season
All in a night's work
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:20am On Nov 02, 2017
"It's a good place to break that record," Guardiola told BT Sport. "On the biggest stage, in the Champions League, at 3-2, it's so important, it's amazing.

"It's part of the history - a legend of that club. For Manchester City, it's amazing to have this player as part of our history."

2 Likes

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:28am On Nov 02, 2017
"Beating Napoli twice in two weeks is an incredible achievement," Guardiola told Mediaset Premium. "They are perhaps the best side I've faced in my career.

"We tried to block their left flank, but they got there first and were too strong, they massacred us for 20 minutes. I am glad with the way we reacted, especially after going to 2-2, as Bernardo Silva kept the ball and moved it around.

"I am so proud because I know the side we beat. I am in love with Napoli, with the way they make short passes and they didn't give us time to think in the opening 20 minutes. We didn't have the courage to play."

Guardiola believes the two teams are very similar, meaning City had to show their class to come out on top.

The Spaniard added: "We are very similar teams, we like to keep the ball and press, so whoever does that best is going to trouble the other side."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:37am On Nov 02, 2017
According to Jesus, it was Guardiola's personal determination to sign him that made him feel City was the right move.

"Guardiola called me up and said I would be a very important part of his project," he told FourFourTwo.

"This obviously made me feel wanted and was a big factor in helping me pick City as my next club. There had been a lot of clubs interested in signing me at the time, but the one I felt most confident in was City.

"When I landed in Manchester, I came straight to the training ground – I didn't even go to my hotel. He wanted me there. It was 6pm and training had been in the morning, but Pep waited for me to arrive. I realised he's a different kind of manager."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 02, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
Napoli have dropped two points in 11 Serie A matches this season and had lost just two of their last 23 European home games, and still managed to lose despite playing out of their skin.

Brothers please is there anyone who can borrow me some money for my school fees. I have lost my bread Winner & I'm doing pharmacy at uniuyo. I'm 21year old & I've got no time left for exams.
I can give out my certificate since that's all i got, by June 2018 when I'll have paid back completely i can get the cert. Please just be of help to me I'll never forget the goodness.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:13pm On Nov 02, 2017
Largas:

Brothers please is there anyone who can borrow me some money for my school fees. I have lost my bread Winner & I'm doing pharmacy at uniuyo. I'm 21year old & I've got no time left for exams.
I can give out my certificate since that's all i got, by June 2018 when I'll have paid back completely i can get the cert. Please just be of help to me I'll never forget the goodness.

You will not believe I just came back from Lagos Yesterday to Port Harcourt with the body of my father who passed on Saturday. This is a very trying time for me. I honestly wish I could help.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 02, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You will not believe I just came back from Lagos Yesterday to Port Harcourt with the body of my father who passed on Saturday. This is a very trying time for me. I honestly wish I could help.

Hmm. Sorry bro for your loss. Be strong & thanks for your concern. May his soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:21pm On Nov 02, 2017
Largas:

Hmm. Sorry bro for your loss. Be strong & thanks for your concern. May his soul rest in peace.

Amen and thank you.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:35am On Nov 05, 2017
Mendy returns to Manchester

City full-back Benjamin Mendy has returned to Manchester to continue with the next stage of his rehabilitation from a serious knee-injury suffered earlier in the season.

The left back had been recuperating in Barcelona since being operated on by famed surgeon Dr Ramon Cugat six weeks ago.

Mendy is expected to be in the crowd for Sunday’s clash with Arsenal - and could spring a surprise saying “Sunday’s game is huge ahead of the international break,” he said. “I miss our fans and I thank them for all their support over these past few weeks.

“When I get back I will go to the back of the stands with a megaphone.”
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:42am On Nov 05, 2017
Pep's message to City fans ahead of Arsenal

Pep Guardiola has called on supporters to help re-energise his Manchester City side as they take on Arsenal on Sunday.

The City boss expects the Premier League leaders to be a little weary after Wednesday’s exhilarating Champions League win away at Napoli.

City beat the Serie A pacesetters 4-2 in a compelling clash but they had little time to enjoy it before travelling home to begin preparations for the Gunners’ visit to the Etihad Stadium.

“We need our fans’ support,” Guardiola said. “After the Champions League it is so tough.

“On Thursday (in the Europa League) Arsenal played without the real squad who are going to play on Sunday, so they rested for one week.

“The lack of energy we will have is normal after the Champions League, so our supporters can help us in that.”

City have not been beaten in 22 competitive fixtures since being edged out by Arsenal in extra time of last season’s FA Cup semi-final.

Their current run of 14 successive wins is a new club record but extending the sequence is not what motivates Guardiola.

“What matters is to play good and win the game,” he said. “Records are always a consequence of winning games and making good achievements. The main thing is to win the next one.”
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:48am On Nov 05, 2017
Aguero wants more goals

Sergio Aguero claims there is no limit to what can be achieved as he chases more goals and titles with City.
But City’s new record goalscorer appears to have no firm idea of how long he would like to stay at the club.
So unsure is the 29-year-old about eventual life after City he even forgot when his current contract ends as he savoured his latest personal achievement.

The Argentinian now stands alone as City’s most prolific goalscorer with 178 after finding the net in Wednesday’s superb 4-2 win at Napoli in the Champions League.

"There’s no limit. For me, every game is important.

“Obviously when I score a goal I’m very happy but, above all, a player is happy if his team wins.

“I believe we have a great team. There’s still a long way to go, the Champions League is not easy, but I think this was a good step for the future and I hope that that we can go as far as possible.”
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:12am On Nov 05, 2017
Guardiola's Sanchez stance

“The transfer window is closed, so it’s not time to talk about that.

“You know my opinion on the players I have, (and) Alexis - you know my opininon, but he’s an Arsenal player. It’s not correct to talk about that, especially before we play them.

“He is such an important player for them, for the talent he has. We have to try to control him. Let’s just focus on that."

“I think next season we have to shake the team again a little.

“Not in terms like this season, where it was a lot because the average age was 28 or 29. Now we are a young team. But we’ll buy players, we’ll try to analyse well and buy the right players like we did last season and this season.”

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:18am On Nov 05, 2017
Guardiola on Gundogan

"I’m very happy for him that Germany have called him up. The Wolves game was a big test playing 120 minutes and he lasted the whole game. Napoli was a really important match. We don’t have any doubts about his skills and it is important for us that our players play for their national team."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:22am On Nov 05, 2017
Guardiola on the Invincibles record of Arsene Wenger and Arsenal

"I would like to say to Arsene that the record belongs to his team, an exceptional team. We don’t want to break this record, we want to play well tomorrow and beat him tomorrow."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:25am On Nov 05, 2017
Guardiola defends Ozil against critiques

"I don’t have doubts about him. I enjoy his quality and I suffered when he was at Madrid. People always criticise when their team lose and the big targets are criticised. I admire him a lot. Maybe his body language doesn’t help him too much but sometimes body language can confused the media or old players."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:28am On Nov 05, 2017
Guardiola on Sterling's goal scoring improvement

"I think he’s enjoying scoring. He’s not scored or afraid to take a risk now, he realises how fun it is to score goals. He’s working on that."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:31am On Nov 05, 2017
Guardiola believes Aguero is focused on winning than records

"It was not a relief. I said many times he was going to break it. His contract ends in 2020. He was focussed on winning the game. It is a big achievement for him. He has to be so proud of what he has done and that’s all."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:34am On Nov 05, 2017
Guardiola expects a complicated game against Arsenal

"Arsenal are one of the best opponents for my team. They have won a lot of games. Against Arsenal it is always complicated. It is the last game before the international break and hopefully we can recover well from Napoli and put on a good performance in front of our fans and win the game."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:37am On Nov 05, 2017
Conte on City

"There is a big problem for all the teams that want to fight for the title. And that problem is Manchester City."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:49am On Nov 05, 2017
Kevin De Bruyne loves Assists

“It gives me another feeling. I cannot explain it. When you score it’s a great feeling but to give a great pass is also something very special for me.

“I think it’s under-rated, sometimes what we do. Obviously we cannot have these assists if they don’t score the goals.”
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:02pm On Nov 05, 2017
Guardiola feels Fernandinho is among the best defensive midfielders

"I think that Fernandinho right now is one of the best - best, best, best - three holding midfielders in the world," he said.

"The same as with [defenders] John [Stones] and Nico [Otamendi], Fernandinho has achieved another level with his positivity and mentality.

"He gives us a lot – with the ball and without the ball, in terms of many things that we need to compete.

"Last season we cannot forget that Fernandinho played at full-back many, many times and made no complaints.

"He tried and asked always what he had done and how he could improve. When you have a lot of players in a squad with that mentality you can dream to win games."

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:05pm On Nov 05, 2017
Guardiola believes dreaming of winning the treble is a big mistake

"Winning the treble is an exceptional situation," said Guardiola, who achieved the feat in 2008-09 with Barcelona – crowning a remarkable maiden season as a senior coach.

"Barcelona did it twice, [Manchester] United, a long time ago Celtic, Inter Milan with Jose [Mourinho] – I think it is an exceptional situation.

"I think, for English football, all five teams will go to the last 16 in the Champions League. That is the first real good step.

"That is the best news compared to the previous years for English football. After that we will see.

"There are five teams there – more chance to win the Champions League, doubles, maybe trebles.

"But I think winning trebles is an exceptional situation today, like it was before in our period in Barcelona.

"Bayern Munich won the treble with Jupp Heynckes [in 2012-13] – a top team in Europe and that is the only treble in their history, even in the era of [Franz] Beckenbauer, Uli Hoeness and [Karl-Heinz] Rummenigge.

"I think it is a big mistake to think 'we are going to win the treble'. Beat Arsenal and after that we will see."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2017
Guardiola trusts the talent of U17 World Cup best player Phil Foden

Guardiola believes the 17-year-old has the talent to become a first-team fixture but acknowledges such a distinction will not be easily won.

"We trust him a lot, but it depends on the passion that he has," he added. "We cannot forget that he is 17 or 18 years old competing with the likes of Kevin de Bruyne, Fernandinho, Yaya Toure and Bernardo Silva and that step to the first team is not easy.

"But I know that he has passion and he will be there. It depends on him, if he wants to stay or move, but we are going to do absolutely everything because we said how good he is before he was nominated as the best player in the World Cup so there is no doubt in how much he believes in himself."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2017
Manchester City are the best team in Europe, claims Pochettino

Tottenham coach Mauricio Pochettino believes Manchester City are the best team in Europe following their immense start to the season.

"They [City] are doing very well in the Premier League and Champions League, showing unbelievable performances.

"The challenge for them is to be consistent for the whole season but they show great quality. Today, right now, they are the best team in Europe."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:36pm On Nov 05, 2017
De Bruyne eyes long-term stay as a Cityzen

Kevin De Bruyne has no plans to leave Manchester City, saying he can see himself remaining at the Premier League club for a "long time".

"Since Pep came to the club, he plays a style of football I like to play, so it makes it easy as a player," De Bruyne told Sky Sports.

"I like it here, it is the perfect environment and since I came here there has been a lot of trust in me. I like the project they are doing from the moment I came here.

"There was an older team [when I first arrived], they did a lot of transfers, a lot of young people, they are building for the future.

"I like the project and I am really happy here and I see myself being a long time here."
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Eruditor: 5:09pm On Nov 05, 2017
Delph seems hurt. This international break came at the right time.

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:55am On Nov 06, 2017
Shearer Angered By Arsene Wenger's Attack On Sterling's Integrity

Arsene Wenger's outburst angered Alan Shearer and made the English pundit to demand an apology from the Arsenal manager to Raheem Sterling.

"I think it's totally wrong," Shearer told Match of the Day.

"It's one thing to deflect from his own team's inadequacies and deficiencies, it's another one to question someone's integrity and be wrong.

"I think he owes Sterling an apology there. There's no way that's a dive and that's a penalty."

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Pele Reportedly Moved To End-of-life Care / Liverpool Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 14th April 2019 / The Best FIFA Awards: Revealed Who Ronaldo & Messi Voted For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.