Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,877 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread (34011 Views)

Liverpool vs Leicester city thread closed due to nairaland mod hegemony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:15am On Oct 15, 2017
De Bruyne has contributed 14 goals in his 69 Premier League appearances for the club, his only strike in the league this season a fabulous winner in a 1-0 triumph at champions Chelsea, while his 32 assists in the top-flight since he signed from Wolfsburg are more than any other player.

In all competitions, De Bruyne has 25 goals and 38 assists from his 100 games for City, contributing to a goal every 125 minutes in the club's colours.

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:20am On Oct 15, 2017
"I am here to win, I am not here to entertain," Guardiola said in his post match conference after Manchester City's 7-2 demolition of Stoke City.

"This is the way we want to play. Our confidence is high. Everybody believes we are going to win.

"We know each other more, I know my players more, the league more and the other teams more.

"We can always do better but I cannot deny that today was the best performance since I arrived here."

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:23am On Oct 15, 2017
Guardiola also commented on the Scintillating display of the Belgian Genius, Kevin De Bruyne during his post match conference after Manchester City's 7-2 demolition of Stoke City. The Belgian Genius played a key role in the build-up of two goals and provided two assists.

"He is a guy that is so dynamic and can control the game," Guardiola said. "He is a big talent and made a good performance. He is one of the best, by far."

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:30am On Oct 15, 2017
OptaJoe ✔ @OptaJoe
10 - Gabriel Jesus has been involved in 10 goals in nine Premier League games at the Etihad Stadium (eight goals, two assists). Settled.

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by obiorathesubtle: 12:26pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
OptaJoe ✔ @OptaJoe
10 - Gabriel Jesus has been involved in 10 goals in nine Premier League games at the Etihad Stadium (eight goals, two assists). Settled.
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 15, 2017
Absolute attacking football!!!up city!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Nobody: 2:38am On Oct 17, 2017
Don't know if any of u visit redcafe or bluemoon forum but that place is totally lit up with mcfc praise.[img][/img][img][/img]

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Neymar1095(m): 7:12pm On Oct 17, 2017
I expected Pep to rotate two or three players. The fact that he hasn't shows how set he is on beating Napoli, no compromises.

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by obiorathesubtle: 7:58pm On Oct 17, 2017
cheesy

Don't you just love this team..

cheesy

Running away with this one

This city team is mouthwatering to watch
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Neymar1095(m): 8:08pm On Oct 17, 2017
David Silva is in form and he's like the 3rd or 4th best player in the side. Let that sink in.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by justicejay(m): 10:42pm On Oct 17, 2017
great game today. love the way we handle the pressure towards the end of the match . but wat caused the fuse btw kdb and Silva at half time?

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by obiorathesubtle: 9:20am On Oct 18, 2017
Didn't watch the game last night..

But from highlights and online stats..

Kyle walker is rugged, but has to be careful..
Ederson saved a penalty.. Which is good
Sterling is in incredible form
G. Jesus Issa prodigy
KDB.. Need I say more?

Saw stats and we have 11 wins and 1 draw from 12 games so far.. 39 goals scored..

Hope we haven't peaked early..
Hope the intensity and drive continues all season..

My take..

Another great win from the lads.. Wins will get us what we want..

#Cityzen

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by justicejay(m): 9:43pm On Oct 18, 2017
it was ex-citizen night against Chelsea. Kolarov scored one and assisted one for Dezko who scored twice.

2 Likes

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by obiorathesubtle: 9:17pm On Oct 20, 2017
cheesy

Guys..

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:32pm On Oct 20, 2017
Pep Guardiola: 'Manchester City can continue improving'

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has urged his players to push on from their breathtaking start to the season by becoming even better.

The Citizens boast a record Premier League goal difference after eight games, scoring 29 times and conceding just four to climb two points clear of Manchester United.

Guardiola's men have dropped points just once in the top flight this season and boast a perfect Champions League record, most recently seeing off the best Italy has to offer in Napoli, but the Catalan coach is adamant that there is still room for improvement.

"I said many times over the last weeks, we played good in the last games but always we can improve," he told reporters. "That is the reason why we are here - if we believe that it's done it makes no sense to keep going, to stay. Always we can do better. Hopefully we can maintain that level in the next games."

City take on Burnley on Saturday afternoon in their next fixture, before welcoming Wolverhampton Wanderers to the Etihad Stadium in the EFL Cup three days later.

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-city/news/pep-guardiola-city-can-still-improve_310012.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:16pm On Oct 20, 2017
Dyche on City

Deserved praise from the Burnley manager.

“I think we all know, arguably they’re one of the best collection of individual footballers in Europe. The team looks more familiar with each other and that comes with time. The manager, rightly so, has been stood by and allowed to work.”

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:18pm On Oct 20, 2017
Guardiola on Mendy's involvement

Usually in a long injury, players are sad. They train apart so they feel isolated. But Mendy decided to be present through social media. He calls his teammates, he Whatsapps, he is even in contact with me. He is important on the pitch and is going to be really important off it because he makes the dressing room atmosphere much better.

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:13pm On Oct 20, 2017
OTAMENDI AND STONES MAKING LIGHT OF KOMPANY ABSENCE FOR GUARDIOLA

Pep Guardiola has hailed the blossoming centre-back partnership between Nicolas Otamendi and John Stones at Manchester City, with Vincent Kompany's latest injury ordeal showing no sign of an upturn.

Guardiola told a news conference ahead of Saturday's game against Burnley that club captain Kompany would miss out once more with a calf problem and he had no idea when the Belgium defender would return.

Over recent seasons, Kompany's absences have tended to prompt varying degrees of collapse in form by City's backline.

But Otamendi and Stones have formed an increasingly assured alliance over the course of five Premier League victories and three out of three in the Champions League since Kompany last featured at Bournemouth in August.

"A lot, a lot – I'm really impressed," Guardiola said when reviewing the duo's form, reserving particular praise for Otamendi – a robust, no-frills defender who would not necessarily be expected to flourish under the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss.

"Always we talk about the guys who play offensively but John and Nico, both of them were fantastic in the last month because they played all the games.

"Nico played against Stoke City when I had a lot of doubts because he came from [international duty with] Argentina, from 10 days with a lot of pressure in his mind to qualify for the World Cup.

"He is one of the players I have met in my life with the strongest mentality and he is a guy who only wants to learn in terms of the ball possession.

"Always he was strong in the air and winning duels. Also, he has the courage to play. Even when he makes mistakes, it doesn’t matter. If he loses the ball, he wants you to give it to him again and play.

"He's not afraid at all, it doesn't matter where he plays, has a lot of experience. He is an important guy for us. All the season, he has played outstanding."

It is a far cry from the error strewn displays ex-Valencia man Otamendi and Stones – a £47million signing from Everton – turned in last season.

Then, Stones often found a champion in his manager when his willingness to build attacks from the back played himself and City into trouble.

As the Premier League leaders continue to click through the gears at the other end of the pitch, with 39 goals in all competitions, the fact that the 23-year-old is no longer a regular discussion topic speaks volumes for Guardiola.

"John, last year, every game it was always one or two mistakes with the ball and [he was] always distracted," Guardiola said, his defence having only been breached four times in the league.

"This season he is always focusing with the ball. I know his quality but he is improving."

The character shown by his centre-backs is something Guardiola knows his side will need in order to maintain the early purpose of their bid for glory.

In 2016-17, City won their first 10 matches at home and abroad before hitting trouble in October. By the turn of the year, they had faded from the title picture.

Guardiola was heartened by his players' response under pressure as they ground out a 2-1 win over Napoli in midweek but expects the biggest test of a team ever more in tune with his methods will come whenever their blistering early run is derailed.

"That is going to happen," he insisted. "We cannot expect, now we are in October, to finish the season how we started and in the last month when we won all the games.

"That is impossible in football at the high level. But I want to see that, I want to see how we are going to react in that moment when we drop points, how strong we are.

"The big teams always show in the bad moments. When we are winning by three or four it is important but it doesn’t count too much. In the bad moments, it counts how we react."

http://us.soccerway.com/news/2017/October/20/otamendi-and-stones-making-light-of-kompany-absence-for-guardiola/n1036155/

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58pm On Oct 20, 2017
DE BRUYNE: MAN CITY, UNITED FIGHTING FOR TITLE

Kevin De Bruyne and City have made a scintillating start to the campaign, winning seven and drawing one of their opening eight games to be two De Bruyne said it appeared the title battle was between City and United – for now.

"For the moment I think so, but everybody's still there," the Belgium international told ESPN FC.

"It's so early, if you lose two or three games you go back to a [lower] position. We have to maintain this hopefully."

Pep Guardiola's side have been lauded for their style this season and have netted 29 league goals and conceded just four.

De Bruyne believes City are producing the types of performances their Spaniard boss wants.

"I think we're pretty much what he wants," he said.

"Obviously one game is going [to be] better than the other ones and one time we will look more like his team than another, but I think the way we play is always the same.

"We play dominant football and like to put a lot of pressure on them and if you can do that, it works well. It's hard to go full pace all the time but at the moment everyone is in great shape."

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:46am On Oct 21, 2017
MANCHESTER CITY PLAYING LIKE BRAZIL

The Brazil international is thriving in the attacking system favoured by Guardiola and says the players are enjoying themselves in the way his compatriots tend to, particularly in last week's 7-2 destruction of Stoke City.

"Yes, it was almost like [Brazilian football]," Jesus told Sky Sports. "In Brazil when we win with so many goals the players tend to start playing with more style and being playful.

"They start jumping around and it did feel more or less like this. It felt like a very beautiful way of winning that game. As players we enjoyed it a lot and that's how we felt inside the pitch."

"Obviously I am enjoying playing here a lot," he said. "I am a very calm and tranquil person but I do miss some things the city hasn't got compared to where I used to live in Brazil.

"But I am very happy and getting to know the city better and better.

"Pep Guardiola is a very ambitious manager, that's a reason why he has been able to win all the trophies he has won in his career.

"I am very happy to get the chance to be trained by him and I am very proud to be able to grow under his management. I hope we will carry on together and we will be able to improve even more."

"I really like working with Aguero," he said. "He is a fantastic guy and we all know how he is as a player. I support him a lot."

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Neymar1095(m): 2:41pm On Oct 21, 2017
Pep's dream to play 3-5-2 has been destroyed after 4 games. I know we played 3-5-2 against Liverpool with Danilo as RCB but it was one off for me. Pep will only use 3-5-2 regularly if Vinny is fit which is highly unlikely.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Neymar1095(m): 3:33pm On Oct 21, 2017
Aguero doing the job from the spot
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Eruditor: 3:51pm On Oct 21, 2017
Delph & Bernardo Silva seem off the pace especially the latter. He has scuffed 2 chances and seems either slow to react with the ball or too blasé. He needs to wake up.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:51pm On Oct 21, 2017
Key Opta stats:

- This is Manchester City's joint-best points return after the first nine games of a Premier League season alongside 2011-12. The only team with more points at this stage of the season were Chelsea (27) in 2005-06.
- Pep Guardiola has won 25 points so far this season with Man City; only in 2015-16 (27 pts with Bayern Munich) has he won more points as a manager from the opening nine games of the season.
- Leroy Sane has both scored and assisted in three of his last four Premier League appearances for Man City.
- Since his Man City debut in September 2015, Kevin De Bruyne has provided 33 assists in the Premier League, more than any other player.
- Burnley failed to land a single shot on target in this match.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:56pm On Oct 21, 2017
GUARDIOLA READY TO DINE OUT ON AGUERO RECORD
Pep Guardiola hopes dinner will be on Sergio Aguero when he becomes the leading scorer in Manchester City history.

Aguero moved level with Eric Brook on 177 goals at the top of City's all-time list by breaking the deadlock from the penalty spot during Saturday's 3-0 win over Burnley.

"When you have three weeks out you take a little bit [of time to get] the rhythm. He needed to play minutes and he did it today," Guardiola told a post-match news conference when assessing Aguero's display.

"It was important for him to equalise the record and as soon as possible he is going to break it. When he breaks it, it will be something special.

"It's so important for him to be the top scorer in all the history with the club. We are happy to be in this moment with him."

Speaking to BBC Sport, Guardiola added: "He should pay a tribute to us! He should invite us to dinner maybe. One more goal... it's going to happen sooner or later."

Guardiola, on the other hand, saw little controversy in the game's key moment.

"It's a penalty, I saw it. It's a penalty," he said. "The goalkeeper touched the right foot of Bernardo."

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Neymar1095(m): 10:51am On Oct 28, 2017
Draw in the United-Spurs game, City beat West Brom and that's the perfect weekend. Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool dropping points is just a bonus.

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Eruditor: 2:32pm On Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day the result will keep City in check to easily dispatch West Brom. I feared a draw could make City complacent. Something about that game makes me feel Chelsea is still the 2nd placed team but I guess we would know next week.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 28, 2017
Blood of fernandinho!!! shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by Eruditor: 5:13pm On Oct 28, 2017
Scoreline does not reflect the dominance. Westbrom were very physical.

Otamendi, youuuuu imp! angry angry

Great 3 points.

1 Like

Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:56am On Nov 02, 2017
Sergio Aguero is the record goal for City after he scored the winner during the Blues 4-2 Champions League win over Napoli on Wednesday.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:00am On Nov 02, 2017
The Blues qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions league as they became the first English side to ever beat Napoli away.
Re: Just Cityzens - Manchester City Thread by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:01am On Nov 02, 2017
City's win also saw them stretch their club record for consecutive wins to 13 matches as they extended their unbeaten start to the season.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (29) (Reply)

Pele Reportedly Moved To End-of-life Care / Liverpool Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 14th April 2019 / Manchester City Vs PSG UCL (2 - 1) On 24th November 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.