Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47647 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Lanreb: 10:54am On Mar 07, 2007
Idols WA is a beautiful concept, and I enjoy it for the beautiful voices once in every 20 candidate and the humor is unlimited. i.e. "I believe I FRY". "There is a Yero", the Fela wanna be (coming on with his pants), the gospels etc. I watch with interest and laughter. A little Liberian girl with a story that can win an Oscar.

The only issue I have with Idol WA is MR DEDE. He has a big mouth for an under achiever, the best he did was the remix of Baba’s Palaver. And he goes on and on calling the kids names, wasting time with lengthen, senseless comments. Trying to be like Simon.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by gianni(f): 12:29pm On Mar 07, 2007
Lanreb:

The only issue I have with Idol WA is MR DEDE. He has a big mouth for an under achiever, the best he did was the remix of Baba’s Palaver. And he goes on and on calling the kids names, wasting time with lengthen, senseless comments. Trying to be like Simon.

true talk!
his mouth is way too big
lookat him yawning and stretching on (inter)national tv.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by cabali(m): 11:45pm On Mar 07, 2007
Dede is messed up but how can someone in his right senses mention for a replacement with olisa, kenny and d1. the last two dont know a thing abt music.

and u place olisa next 2 foster? olisa is crappy and will burn if u put him next to foster.

dont repeat that here. lol
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by rock2(m): 2:44am On Mar 08, 2007
lanreb and gianni

without someone like dede there, i think the whole show will be less interestingmy own opinion sha!

gianni:

lookat him yawning and stretching on (inter)national tv.

if simon did that, i'm sure you wont complain
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 6:41am On Mar 08, 2007
I don't think Dede is playing the "bad judge" role as well as Simon Cowell. The 'bad judge' needs to be right.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by brownbaby(f): 1:39pm On Mar 08, 2007
Yeah west African idol, thats what we watch in my office everyday. the program is fun, love that young guy that they were asking if the parents will let him go to Lagos alone, and the guy that sang "Being around the world, would you be suspicious if i ask ur name, dont know the song well too.

Did anybody watch the top 24, Omawunmi is da bomb cool, the girl is cool. The rudeness and jest of the judges makes it all fun, but Dede is sometimes too blunt.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by slimnike(m): 2:40am On Mar 09, 2007
Why is it that shows like this We do not really get the information to apply?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kellorah: 9:04pm On Mar 10, 2007
Omawunmi is my fav. so far
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 12:01am On Mar 11, 2007
I just found this thread today. Wish I'd found it sooner. For those that don't have access to the DSTV Channel, you can watch the Group 1 performances here.
http://www.mnetafrica.com/idols/videogallery/category.asp?Id=9

Also, the vote is on to select the 3 worst auditions!!! The "Fela" guy, the Snoop Dogg (Shmook da thug), the two "Gbuya" guys, Rasta Guy, Michael Jackson and all the funny clips can be found here. By all means you must visit this link.
http://www.mnetafrica.com/idols/UBTheJudgeVideoGallery/category.asp?Id=2

For those who think Lara Bajomo shouldn't be in the competition (I also thought so), here's are her comments. Men, was I pained when she didn't make top 10.
I'm not yet a star - Lara Bajomo(Kush)
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by GregBowes: 9:26am On Mar 12, 2007
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 10:02am On Mar 12, 2007
1. Eric - tight performance. Started low and built up the feel along the song
2. Oluwadolapo - Wrong song, wrong key for her voice , she finally went off on the last note
3. Oge - Nice performance.
4. Jarry - tight performance. Key got a little uncomfortable for him towards the end though. I think he had the best voice.
5. David - Very good. Did justice to the song.
6. Jerrilyn - Nice. Just OK.

Generally, the guys did better than the girls. Don't know why Oludolapo chose that song. Didn't come out right at all.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 12:49pm On Mar 12, 2007
Last night was very disappointing. Eric, started off shaky and weak, but finished strong. Oluwadalopo shrieking, wrong keys, not good at all. Oge, nice performance has potential. Jarry good voice, lots of emotion in his voice, a love of music shines through, David, wrong song, but has a good voice, performance a little theatrical, could have done better . Jerrilyn, I do not like her voice at all. I cannot understand what the judges see in her, I hated her voice on the audition. I would definitely send Jarry through and toss up between Eric and Oge.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by rock2(m): 11:09am On Mar 13, 2007
Please i'll like to know who made it through yesterday (monday). Thanks.
by the way, i think jarry got the best voice in that group.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 11:24am On Mar 13, 2007
Sorry, Jarry didn't make it. It was Eric and Jerrilyn who sailed through
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by sisimose(f): 4:06pm On Mar 13, 2007
can i watch it on the net or something live? i am in the Uk and so want to watch it anyone pls help ty wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 4:19pm On Mar 13, 2007
sisimose:

can i watch it on the net or something live? i am in the Uk and so want to watch it anyone please help ty wink

You can get some clips here but not the whole show. Go here.

I also have an article about the auditions on my blog here
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by sisimose(f): 4:24pm On Mar 13, 2007
Icon
you are a star ! muah thanks
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 4:28pm On Mar 13, 2007
Thanks. grin grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by rock2(m): 4:43pm On Mar 13, 2007
Icon:

Sorry, Jarry didn't make it. It was Eric and Jerrilyn who sailed through
Thanks man.

They all did OK sha. Its a bit confusing sometimes but i think jarry should have made it through
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by EzE2(m): 9:49pm On Mar 13, 2007
Does anyone here know where I can watch the auditions online, I was able to find the group 1 performance for the Top 24, but I can't find the audition, if anyone has a link where I can watch it please let me know (especial syntyche's performance), thnx
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by GregBowes: 7:53am On Mar 14, 2007
Hi - if you go to http://www.mnetafrica.co.za/idols/videogallery/default.asp, the auditions from Lagos, Calabar, Accra and Abuja are available on the right side of the page. Syntyche auditioned in Abuja.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by GregBowes: 7:57am On Mar 14, 2007
Sorry, make that the left side of the page!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by simcare: 5:06pm On Mar 16, 2007
Dede is the only Judge that is factual among the three.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Tmoni(m): 8:08pm On Mar 16, 2007
pls, can someone tell me what happened to syntheche,
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by GregBowes: 9:19am On Mar 19, 2007
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 12:57pm On Mar 19, 2007
@ timoni im sthyches fan i did not even see her among the 80 people and i looked out 4 her coz the gal wz GOOD.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 6:04pm On Mar 20, 2007
If you're a music producer, make sure you're around to catch the talented ones who fall through the competition. wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Florian: 11:23pm On Mar 20, 2007
I am very interested in Nokia First Chance because my girlfriend is one of the people participating.
Unfortunately, they have taken away her phone and I am not able to be in touch with her. Furthermore, I live in Kenya where none of the Nigerian channels except M-Net are accessible and since I also could not find any website or other press articles on the show, I am pretty clueless of what's happening to and around my girlfriend.

Therefore, I am very interested in hearing more about what's going on at Nokia First Chance.
- Is there any other channel that airs Nokia First Chance in addition to Silverbird and Galaxy which both can not be viewed in East Africa?
- What are the main differences between Nokia First Chance and Idols West Africa?
- Why are there two talent hunts staged at the same time?
- How professional does Nokia First Chance appear in comparison to Idols West Africa?
- What has happened so far at Nokia First Chance?
- Which of the contenders seem particularly strong, which appear rather weak?
- When will they actually start voting out people from the house?
- Is there any official website for Nokia First Chance?

I would be extremely grateful if somebody could share his or her knowledge and thoughts on my questions.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Glamourgal(f): 11:24pm On Mar 20, 2007
why hvnt u found any website?? did u check properly? tongue
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Florian: 5:56am On Mar 21, 2007
I have tried every conceivable combination of words that include "Nokia" and "First Chance" but haven't been able to locate any website on this show. Also, the Nokia website does not contain a link to this show. 

They might use an abbreviation that I haven't thought about. Can anybody help me with the website of the "Nokia First Chance" competition and my other questions above?

Thanks!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 6:26pm On Mar 21, 2007
We’re three quarters of the way through to finding out who the top10 West African Idols contenders will be. Group one saw Omawumi and Timi make it through from an exceptionally strong field. Everyone in Group one deserved to go through to the Top 10 after they all sang the stuffing out of their respective songs. Ibitoru, the albino with attitude and a goose-bump inducing voice performed Madonna’s Like a Prayer to rapturous applause. Lara George showed her class with a rendition of Celine Dion’s 'It’s all coming back to me now' that was easily as good as the original, while Uche and Ekanem also gave us something to shout about. For their performances though, i had hoped Lara and Ibitoru would go through but looks must have done them in. Lara suddenly went all to fat after the birth of her first child, while Ibitoru, well, let's just say Nigerians still have a bias against albinos. But Omawumi and Timi outdid themselves on the night and totally deserve to be in the Top10.

The second group was nothing to write home about. Everyone in the first group was better than everyone in the second. Eric and Jerrilyn simply made it through because two people had to go through. And they went through because Eric has looks to die for while Jerrilyn came to Idols with a story screenwriters would kill for. If you ask me, i'd say Jarry had a better voice than Eric, but looking at the bigger picture, Eric was a better choice. In any case, Jarry was from Liberia (what's the population of Liberia sef?) and you cannot argue with Nigeria's 120million voters. But i consider it a travesty that a run of the mill singer like Jerrilyn made it through while exceptional performers like Lara and Ibitoru and Ekanem had to go home.

Group three was better than group two but not by much. Ama, a hot looker from Ghana (no 18 year-old has a right to look like that) set the tone for the night by going tone-deaf in the first stanza of Cher's 'Strong Enough'. Then on came Confidence Rufai with a contra-alto rendition of Dido's Thank You, which was pretty impressive but apparently not good enough to get her into the Top10. Mercy brought the first stand-up ovation worthy performance of the night with a Jazz-club flavoured performance of Sinead O'connor's classic 'Nothing Compares to You'. She was absolutely brilliant as she combined melody and power to bring a throaty essence to the normally sweet-as-molasses song. Michael was up next singing Madonna's 'Goodbye'. He took so many liberties with the song, it was almost criminal; and combined with just enough effeminate hints to get Africa wondering about his sexual orientation, he was a goner from the word go. Earnest brought Mercy a challenge for the performance of the night but appeared to shy away from the really high points of Lonestar's "Amazed". But the performance of the night belonged to Jodie singing Bryan Adams' "Have you ever loved a woman?" There are no words to describe her performance. Just suffice to say that it firmly established her as a contender for the crown. The hall was in raptures when she finished and no one was left sitting down. She made the song her own in a way that would confound Bryan Adams himself. It was no surprise that she made it into the Top10. It also wasn't surprising that Mercy made it through despite Mike Majik's best efforts at creating suspense.

Well, we're waiting for the final group to perform on sunday. My picks, based on what i've seen of them at the auditions are James Brendan and Joan Ekpai. But It's still a pretty strong field, with Temitayo George and Sokari Briggs also looking good for those tickets. So my Top10 will look something like this:
Omawumi
Timi
Eric
Jerrilyn
Jodie
Mercy
James
Joan (pls understand that from this point i am purely speculating.)
Lara (of all the third placed people in the groups so far, she's the best. So, we haven't seen the last of Lara at Idols West Africa)
The tenth place is still open until we see Sunday's performance.
The show rocks for sure and i hope they all achieve their dreams, whether or not they win at Idols West Africa.
See y'all after sunday's performance.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by cabali(m): 8:53pm On Mar 21, 2007
let it get over so that creep DEDE goes back to his very well established musical career grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.