Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered (311815 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 / Toefl For Tier 4 Pbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (141) (Go Down)

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ghafleks(m): 10:37pm On Dec 22, 2009
na wao, nobody dey answer me.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 6:11pm On Dec 23, 2009
Okay my last response is missing but it appears ome other people have answered you guys on my behalf so please remember to thank them very well for their assistance.

gram:

@ ell 77

Your contributions have been very useful though i've been passive on this thread.

I received a uk student visit visa for a short programme < 6mths as part of my academic work in sch ( university ), I also

intended to visit my sister during the period as part of the stated purpose of my visit. However, I could not attend at the stipulated time because

the commencement of the programme coincided with my exams. The programme is over now, but my visa is still valid (2 months spent). I've been

invited for a different programme in a different institution and I am free to attend. My sister is also ready to write another invitation letter. Can I

still enter the uk with my visa?. How rigid are the UK boarder regulations on a student visit visa ? Do all the tier 4 regulations apply to this type of visa?

i will appreciate your response.

I am not sure what you mean, please elaborate on the previous conditions of our course, I do believe you can change it but you may be required to inform UKBA.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 6:21pm On Dec 23, 2009
@ Monixl - yes, he is right, i meant write it out on the balance sheet, with the conversion rate and the amount it equals in GBP.
@Prespes - congratulations - welcome to UK! It snowed two days ago, so you might be able to come and have a snow fight if it snows again, it is melting at the moment, get some veryyyyyy warm clothes!
shocked

@Chonko - unless the senator states that it is an international organisation of financial institution that is sponsoring you, it is better if the money is in your account.
@Switchmax - The general requirements are thos that fulfill university sponsorship i.e. the visa letter and all the documents you used to get you place at university (mainly the documents listed on the visa letter) and then the maintenance/monbey requirements i.e. the tution fees you need to pay and the maintenance fees you need which will be £7,200 for inner london and £5,400 for outside london. You need to have held these amounts in you account for at least 28 days before applying for you visa with UKBA (via VFS), if you paid any part of your tuition fees this should be shown using a receipt or printed on your visa letter, same goes for university accommodation although it is best to assume that accomodation is not included in the maintenance fees you required if it is private accomodation.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 6:38pm On Dec 23, 2009
@lad - You only need to attach school certificate or transcripts related to your degree - more specifically those listed on your visa letter. If you are not able to use another certificate then just know this is quite risky, you should provide a supporting letter of explanation and affidavit then any other documents you have that for example have your name and the school on it, these should have your right D.O.B. or else they will suspect foul play.

UCAS (www.ucas.ac.uk) is just a body with an online system for hopeful undergraduates to apply for university in the UK, international students sometimes apply through this but for postgraduate courses you have to apply to the university directly. Also a lot of universities allow international students to apply to them directly for undergrad too, so it is possibe you never used the UCAS and applied direct to the university. It is no one's business what you were doing since before you applied to study at university and got a place, if you have a place then apply for your student visa with the documents listed on your visa letter.

A university gives a conditional letter first (normally for you to reply accepting the place and pay an amount), then sends you an unconditional offer letter and visa letter (normally separately though they might just send you a visa letter now). You use your visa letter to apply, contact the uni to get your visa letter.

@ghafleks - this page is for tier 4 PBS, your situation may have already been answered in another forum, but I will still answer it here. Go to them with your statement of account, if you have closed the other account, bring those details also (of account closure), you need to have the money in your account either way.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 1:50am On Dec 25, 2009
[size=18pt]MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM DEGREEANGEL UK LTD!  grin[/size]
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by flekan(m): 12:54pm On Dec 25, 2009
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU
ell77:

[size=18pt]MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM DEGREEANGEL UK LTD!  grin[/size]

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR IN ADVANCE TO YOU TOO
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by justwise(m): 2:43pm On Dec 25, 2009
ell77:

[size=18pt]MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM DEGREEANGEL UK LTD! grin[/size]

Have a gr8 one grin
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by steveomni(m): 7:32pm On Dec 27, 2009

TRAVEL ABROAD THIS 2010
Do you want south African visa,work permits, study permits, Canadian visa,UK Visa Schengen visas from south africa?.Do not miss out on this opportunity.
please note that the visa is to be processed by an immigration attorney.
contact us for more information
Tel: +27739962566
Fax:+27(086 585 7292)
Email:sandtconcept@webmail.co.za
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by justwise(m): 8:15pm On Dec 27, 2009
@steveomni

Are u stup.id? We don't want dubious post here, this is not a place for dubious agent like u.

Pple come here to get real help, geniune information, free of charge.

Do not start any nonsense here.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ella1: 8:35pm On Dec 27, 2009
Steveomni u must be very stupid,go look for somewhere else for ur dubious post.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 10:49am On Dec 29, 2009
To international students in the UK:

To those of you who have already been here for some time and for some reason are experiencing financial difficulty, I thought it would be helpful to provide a list of institutes that may help. But first here is some general advice:

1.  Look for part-time work immediately, you may be used to your parents sponsoring your undergraduate degree in Nigeria but here in the UK, most students work part-time and as your fees are higher, you are definitely not the exception.

2.  Pretend the money you came with is the money that will last you the rest of the year - that is 52 weeks! Live off of that money, however small, don't spend your money today based on 'tomorrow's income'. Tomorrow's income may not come. So if you came with N500,000 and had already paid off your accommodation and tuition fees know that this £2000 needs to be divided by 52 i.e. a little less than £40 per week, don't go above this.

3. SAVE! Just because you have a lot of money coming in from part-time work and came with a lot of money too, it does not mean you should spend exactly 1/50th (approx) of whatever you earn. Think about what that money could do in the future. For instance you need at least £800 in your account for at least 3 months untouched to apply for Post study Work visa. But you could also but products here or in Europe or travel to countries outside Europe to start a business shipping goods into Nigeria. Or perhaps you are owing someone back in Nigeria - Pay it off!

4.  Look for ways to create your own jobs or business, this may offer you more flexibility in terms of study and more money. you could use what you have learnt in your degree to bring out something new and innovative, don't underestimate yourself, if you don't have any new ideas you could look at what others have done and try to find a way to make it better then offer something new here in the UK, if you can get a group together, you can set up a franchise (banks are more likely to give loans for that also - will need someone who has lived here for at least three years for this though - UKBA rules).

5. DegreeAngel UK Ltd will be holding FREE seminars in the UK this January/February to help students with their university assignments, note taking, exam prep, presentation, job hunting (both part-time student work and permanent graduate work) and business planning/strategy and you are welcome to come, check www.degreeangel.co.uk from 15th of January for updates.

6.  If all else fails and you don't have enough for tuition fees or accommodation. GO TALK TO WHO YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PAY. Talk to your landlord and/or university about setting up a 'pay-plan'; this is an agreement to pay certain amounts of money at certain intervals/dates and is placed here as the second to last strategy as I hope people will not abuse this principle. For one, universities can say no but even if they say ‘yes’, they will hold your results and certificates until you finish paying. The time you first realise money is running low and the time taken to get through all the steps I have listed to this point should not take more than a month anyway, the earlier you tell them the better.

7.  You can also look at the following document from Cardiff university with links for international student grants/loans for those undergoing hardship, places - competition is fierce, don't expect this to work for you, but be aware people are out here to help you and you can always contact DegreeAngel UK Ltd for advice:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/studentsupport/international/resources/List%20of%20private%20trusts%20and%20charities.doc
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 11:02am On Dec 29, 2009
4. Create your own job or business opportunity right here in the UK. You can research the internet for some ideas as to what the market needs, or create something new using what you have learned in your course or you can even join a group of of international students and set up a franchise (pay for one that is), to generate more income. DegreeAngel UK Ltd will be holding free seminars in the UK this January to show students how to apply for jobs (part-time and permanent roles on completeion), how to set up their own business or do freelance work and how to cope with university pressures i.e. how to write assignements, take notes, give presentations, prepare for exams.

Okay, if failing all this you still have problems with finance and are unable to pay tuition fees or accommodation do the following:
1. Speak to your university or landlord earnestly and let them know you can't pay all at once, but would like to set up a 'pay plan', this is an agreement to pay in installments, your university may restrict access to some things most especially your exam/assignment results and degree certificate until you have paid in full, so please do not abuse this help and think you can coast and not pay until the last minute. Also note the university and landlord have a right to refuse this agreement and the consequences of this with your university would mean an end to the validity of your visa, which they are likely to report. On the upside, most universities are understanding and prefer you pay anything regualrly, however small, as opposed to waiting for months to get that big lump sum. It also shows them your sincerity. I have had students at a well known Scottish University who have paid a total of £300 per month for the university fee from the start of the course until almost three months after the course end when they paid slightly higher amounts (during holiday periods you can work full-time), they now have their PSW and not a single debt.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by justwise(m): 11:04am On Dec 29, 2009
@ell77

Very very good piece of advise and pple should take it seriously.

Part time work paid my rent. bills, feeding even fees here. . yes i know things have changed with the recesion and many eastern europeans here now, but doing part time AND attending ALL ur lectures, doing ur assignments will help u here.

I'm planing the same for my MSC by God's grace, no matter how little that money is, it does add up at the end.

Gr8 stuff ell77
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 11:07am On Dec 29, 2009
2. Look for grants (the reason I put this last and not first is they are competitive to get, however, between the time you realise you can't pay fees/accommodation and the time to get to this point should not take more than one month - don't drag things out and say thiings like: 'things will sort themselves out' - they rarely do, without your own intervention. Also God helps those who help themselves, perhaps you reading this message is the way He is offering His help, so please take the previous advice seriously):

Open to all International Students subject to eligibility criteria:

• The Churches International Students Network Hardship fund (formerly the Churches Commission Fund)   www.ctbi.org.uk/116/
Assists international students irrespective of race gender or religion who are already in the UK and who are facing unexpected financial problems during the final stages of their course. Decisions are made 3 times a year in February, June and October. Grants are typically   £500 and do not exceed £800
Apply to: David Philpot, Grants Secretary, CISN Hardship Fund, 121 George Street, Edinburgh, EH24 YN

• The Gilchrist Educational Trust         www.gilchristgrants.org.uk    
Applications are considered from undergraduate and postgraduate students who have made proper provision to fund a degree but find themselves facing unexpected financial difficulties which may prevent completion of it.
Apply to: Val Considine, 20 Fern Road, Storrington, Pulborough, West Sussex RH20 4LW Email: gilchrist.et@blueyonder.co.uk

• The Sir Richard Stapely Educational Trust   www.stapleytrust.org
Applicants must be graduates with a first or upper second class degree, over the age of 24 and studying for a degree in medicine or dentistry
Grants normally in the region of £300-£1000 for financial hardship
All applications to be received by 31 March.  Apply to: Christine Ford, North Street Farmhouse, Sheldwich, Faversham, Kent  ME13 OLN

• Professional Classes Aid Council
Applicants must be on essential courses and have had full funding in place at the beginning of their course that has broken down towards the end of their course through circumstances beyond their control. Must be of a professional background, either through their parents or through their own careers.
Apply by letter to: The Secretary, Professional Classes Aid Council, 10 St Christopher’s Place, London W1U 1HZ

• Funds for Women Graduates www.ffwg.org.uk  
Emergency grants to help women graduate students engaged in study or research who are faced with financial difficulties because of unforeseen and unexpected circumstances beyond their control which might prevent the completion of their years work. One off payments on a needs basis, not likely to exceed £1,000 are offered three times a year in March, June and November.
Apply 4 weeks earlier then the consideration dates to: FfWG Grants Administrator, 13 Brookfield Avenue, Larkfield, Aylesford, Kent ME20 6RU

• The Leche Trust
Applicants should be aged between 25 and 34, studying for a PhD or a professional qualification and intend to return to their own country on completion of their studies. Applications are more favourably considered when the applicant can show that he/she has received some financial support from their own University e.g. a Cardiff University Hardship Grant. Part of the application form must be completed by an academic tutor. Application forms (copies available in Student Support Centre) submitted to: The Leche Trust, 84 Cicada Road, London SW18 2NZ

Open to specific groups of international students:

• African students
o Africa Educational Trust www.africaeducationaltrust.org
The Small Emergency grants programme provides grants to students from Africa who have run into unexpected financial difficulties during the final months of their course. Applications must be supported in writing by the student’s supervisor, tutor or head of course
Applications by letter to: The Small Emergency grants Programme, Africa Educational Trust, 18 Hand Court, London WC1V 6JF

• Arab Students
o The Arab-British Chamber Charitable Foundation   www.abcc.org.uk  
Open to Arab postgraduate students committed to returning to Arab League States to work. Provision is made for students who over run their three years funding or who have unforeseen problems. Usual awards are about £1,500
Send an email requesting an application pack to Mr Hugh de Las Casas, Secretary to the Trustees, ABCCF abccf@abcc.org.uk

• Canadian Students
o Canadian Federation of University Women  www.cfuw.org
This organisation has several fellowships and awards for Canadian women already studying in the UK. These awards have to be applied for by November of the preceding year and are therefore not for emergency situations.

o Canadian Centennial Scholarship Fund  www.canadianscholarshipfund.co.uk  
Awards of between £500 and £2,500 to Canadian men and women students who have already commenced their studies in the UK. These awards have to be applied for in the preceding year and are therefore not for emergency situations

• Chinese Students
o The Great Britain China Educational Trust www.gbcc.org.uk/edtrust
This website has information on some trusts and organisations that give funding to Chinese students who are already in the UK studying on a course. Generally these funds have to be applied for in the preceding year and are therefore not for emergency  circumstances.

o The Henry Lester Trust Ltd
Chinese Postgraduate students who are studying or researching in architecture, planning, medicine, computer hardware development or mechanical sciences. Grants of £2500 offered for one year only. Application is by letter to include written support of Head of Department, full details of area of research, a CV, calculation of amount sought and an indication of intention to return to China. All applications are processed within 4 weeks.
Apply to Mr AC Hamilton, 65 Hazlewell Road, London SW15 6UT

• Indian students
o Northbrook Society
Nationals from India who are studying in the UK and intend to return to India
Small awards for financial hardship. Applicants should submit a CV, Reference and details of financial shortfall
Correspondence: Barbara Weller, Secretary, 37 Neatherd Road, Dereham, Norfolk, NR20 4AU

o Charles Wallace Trust
Applications are invited from Indian students who are in their penultimate or final year of a PhD.  Subjects covered include history, literature and philosophy and generally business and science courses are excluded. (This trust also has some links with JOMEC.) 4 grants are made each year of approx. £1000 each.
Applications can be made by email to the Secretary at cwit@btinternet.com  at any time of the year. All applications are considered in early April. Include a brief CV, a statement describing doctoral research, mention of any other grants received and contact details of 2 academic referees

• Greek Students
o The Schlizzi Foundation    www.schlizzifoundation.org.uk    
Greek undergraduates studying in the UK, usually final year but second year are considered in exceptional circumstances. Criteria are real financial hardship and unforeseen circumstances.
Applications should be made through the Student Support Centre
Correspondence: Mr BP Smith, Rowan, Turweston, Brackley, Northants, NN13 5JX
Email: scilizzifoundation@tiscali.co.uk

• Jewish Students
o Anglo Jewish Association      www.anglojewish.co.uk
Jewish students studying at a British University
Awards range between £1000 and £3000 per annum. Criteria include financial need and academic excellence
Correspondence: Julia Samuel, Suite 4, 107 Gloucester Place, London W1U 6BY Email: info@anglojewish.co.uk  

o The Jewish Widows and Students Aid Trust
Applicants must be Jewish and under the age of 30. Interest free loans (not grants) with no specific repayment date usually in the region of £1,000- £1,500
Return application form (Student Support Centre has copies) to: The Jewish Widows and Students Aid Trust, Marlborough House, 298 Regents Park Road, London N3 2UU  

• Muslim Students
o Muslim Aid      www.muslimaid.org
Muslim Aid is an international and development organisation whose primary role is to provide the immediate relief to victims of natural calamities and disasters. Muslim Aid will consider individual cases on their merits and will try to help students if funds are available. Students must be in the final stages of their academic course
Apply in writing to M.W.Khokhar, Muslim Aid, PO Box 3, London

Taken from CARDIFF.AC.UK website.
www.cardiff.ac.uk/studentsupport/international/, /List%20of%20private%20trusts%20and%20charities.doc
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 11:11am On Dec 29, 2009
justwise:

@ell77

Very very good piece of advise and pple should take it seriously.

Part time work paid my rent. bills, feeding even fees here. . yes i know things have changed with the recesion and many eastern europeans here now, but doing part time AND attending ALL your lectures, doing your assignments will help u here.[/b]I'm planing the same for my MSC by God's grace, no matter how little that money is, it does add up at the end.

Gr8 stuff [b]ell77

@Justwise - Thank you for your kind words. I totally agree with you, it is also very important to remember the reason you came here was to study and as much as you see opportunities to make more money - you can't jeopardise your studies for money - even your university wants you to learn what they have taught. MSc is no joke justwise; so good luck with that, somehow I am confident you will do just great!  grin Access all assistance your university has to offer, especially academic writing classes - arguably the most important (MSc writing and BSC are quite different)!
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 11:31am On Dec 29, 2009
4. Look for ways to create your own jobs or business, this may offer you more flexibility in terms of study and more money. you could use what you have leanrt in your degree to bring out something new and innovative, don't underestimate yourself, if you don't have any new ideas you could look at what others have done and try to find a way to make it better then offer something new here in the UK, if you can get a group together, you can set up a franchise (banks are more liekly to give loans for that also - will probably need someone who has lived here for atleast three years for this though).

5. DegreeAngel UK Ltd will be holding FREE seminars in the UK this January/February to help students with their university assignments, note taking, exam prep, presentation, job hunting (both part-time student work and permanent graduate work) and business planning/strategy and you are welcome to come, check www.degreeangel.co.uk from 15th of January for updates.

6. If all else fails and you don't have enough for tuition fees or accommodation. GO TALK TO WHO YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PAY. Talk to your landlord and/or university about setting up a 'pay-plan'; this is an agreemenet to pay certain amounts of money at certain intervals/dates and is placed here as the second to last strategy as I hope people will not abuse this principle. For one, universities can say no but even if they say yes, they will hold your results and certificates until you finish paying. The time you first realise money is running low and the time taken to get through all the steps I have listed to this point should not take more than a month anyway, the earlier you tell them the better.

7. You can also look at the following document from cardiff university with links for international student grants/loans for those undergoing hardhsip, places - competition is fierce, don't expect this to work for you, but be aware people are out here to help you and you can always contact Degreeangel Uk Ltd for advice:
www.cardiff.ac.uk/studentsupport/international/, /List%20of%20private%20trusts%20and%20charities.doc
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by justwise(m): 11:34am On Dec 29, 2009
ell77:

@Justwise - Thank you for your kind words. I totally agree with you, it is also very important to remember the reason you came here was to study and as much as you see opportunities to make more money - you can't jeopardise your studies for money - even your university wants you to learn what they have taught. MSc is no joke justwise; so good luck with that, somehow I am confident you will do just great!  grin Access all assistance your university has to offer, especially academic writing classes - arguably the most important (MSc writing and BSC are quite different)!

U are absolutely right, i went through hell doing that and planing the same thing for my MSc is something i'm giving a serious thinking.
I always take advantage of those assistance, extra English classes, group works etc, it really help also to hang around other nationalities helps. .

Thanks 4 those kind words, i have to give it my last drop of blood
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 11:46am On Dec 29, 2009
justwise:

U are absolutely right, i went through hell doing that and planing the same thing for my MSc is something i'm giving a serious thinking.
I always take advantage of those assistance, extra English classes, group works etc, it really help also to hang around other nationalities helps. .

Thanks 4 those kind words, i have to give it my last drop of blood

Lol. Please oh! Don't kill yourself! Lol. I am sure you will do well, but just remember, the most successful people in life, were not those who always got the best grades, but those who learned a lot. I admire your determination and will, but don't be discouraged if you start your course and feel your grades are not on par with a first class or 2.1 (some of those people who do get this are jobless, yet I have friends and graduates I have worked with, who got 2.2's and they are reigning supreme) - if you understand what you learnt and can apply it to your benefit and the benefit of others - that is the main thing. If you can prove this to others, in the end you will surely succeed!  cool
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by justwise(m): 12:04pm On Dec 29, 2009
ell77:

Lol. Please oh! Don't kill yourself! Lol. I am sure you will do well, but just remember, the most successful people in life, were not those who always got the best grades, but those who learned a lot. I admire your determination and will, but don't be discouraged if you start your course and feel your grades are not on par with a first class or 2.1 (some of those people who do get this are jobless, yet I have friends and graduates I have worked with, who got 2.2's and they are reigning supreme) - if you understand what you learnt and can apply it to your benefit and the benefit of others - that is the main thing. If you can prove this to others, in the end you will surely succeed! cool

I'm reading ur post with every sense of seriousness cos i'm at that point now where i can't stop planning and thinking, some of the stuff u said here hits the spot.

Thanks.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by Nobody: 2:08pm On Dec 29, 2009
@justwise and ell77. I have been reading ur posts and i must say that it has been very useful. I also intend going for my masters in Uk next year, but i intend intend to take some english classes just to boost my english skiills especially in speaking and writhing for a masters degree.
I have been really encouraged by ur posts.
keep it going>>
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by justwise(m): 2:21pm On Dec 29, 2009
luizworld:

@justwise and ell77. I have been reading your posts and i must say that it has been very useful. I also intend going for my masters in Uk next year, but i intend intend to take some english classes just to boost my english skiills especially in speaking and writhing for a masters degree.
I have been really encouraged by your posts.
keep it going>>

Nice reading from u, we are all here to share info, i have gained alot from pple here, ell77 has being a massive help here.

U will get feee english classes here as long as u are ready to juggle it, all u need is good info abt affordable schools and cities here.

U will be fine.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 2:38pm On Dec 29, 2009
justwise:

I'm reading your post with every sense of seriousness cos i'm at that point now where i can't stop planning and thinking, some of the stuff u said here hits the spot.

Thanks.
Dear Justwise,

It is clear to me you feel you have reached a turning point in your life. One filled with excitement, opportunity and anxiety mixed together. You are not alone, many people have experienced what you are going through right now. The best advice I can give you is to remember, no matter how critical things may seem, no matter how much one chance may seem like your only chance, the truth is another opportunity ALWAYS presents itself, just work hard and continue to learn, from your university, from friends, from personal research, from victories and even from mistakes.

I made many mistakes to get to where I am today, and each mistake I thought was the end of the world, ended up just being the end of that saga and the beginning of a new plan. That is life. before you can succeed - you will fail. Just retain your morals, determination and hardwork
and LEARN.
luizworld:

@justwise and ell77. I have been reading your posts and i must say that it has been very useful. I also intend going for my masters in Uk next year, but i intend intend to take some english classes just to boost my english skiills especially in speaking and writhing for a masters degree.
I have been really encouraged by your posts.
keep it going>>

Dear Luiz - I am glad our posts are encouraging you.

Yes, English may be your greatest barrier to success here in the UK, but only if you allow it to be, try listening to BBC news online to get acquainted with one type of British accent and remember the British council holds English classes. However,i am aware a lot of English taught in Nigeria is not really adequate when you come to UK so it is not a necessity to go to classes on english in Nigeria. Like Justwise said your university will provide English classes free of charge, they might not always make it known to everyone and people underestimate this. Plus academic writing is not just about English spelling and grammar, it is about critical thinking, avoiding plagiarism and adding value to the existing body of knowledge so even those of us who were born and bred in the UK take advantage of this for Master's degrees. There is no shame in educating yourself in these things - in the end you will come out smiling. there is also assistance with study skills from DegreeAngel UK.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by justwise(m): 2:47pm On Dec 29, 2009
ell77:

Dear Justwise,

It is clear to me you feel you have reached a turning point in your life. One filled with excitement, opportunity and anxiety mixed together. You are not alone, many people have experienced what you are going through right now. The best advice I can give you is to remember, no matter how critical things may seem, no matter how much one chance may seem like your only chance, the truth is another opportunity ALWAYS presents itself, just work hard and continue to learn, from your university, from friends, from personal research, from victories and even from mistakes.

I made many mistakes to get to where I am today, and each mistake I thought was the end of the world, ended up just being the end of that saga and the beginning of a new plan. That is life. before you can succeed - you will fail. Just retain your morals, determination and hardwork
and LEARN.

Dear Luiz - I am glad our posts are encouraging you.

Yes, English may be your greatest barrier to success here in the UK, but only if you allow it to be, try listening to BBC news online to get acquainted with one type of British accent and remember the British council holds English classes. However,i am aware a lot of English taught in Nigeria is not really adequate when you come to UK so it is not a necessity to go to classes on english in Nigeria. Like Justwise said your university will provide English classes free of charge, they might not always make it known to everyone and people underestimate this. Plus academic writing is not just about English spelling and grammar, it is about critical thinking, avoiding plagiarism and adding value to the existing body of knowledge so even those of us who were born and bred in the UK take advantage of this for Master's degrees. There is no shame in educating yourself in these things - in the end you will come out smiling. there is also assistance with study skills from DegreeAngel UK.
Hmmm. . all i can say now is that. . u are not far from the truth.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by lad1000: 11:02am On Dec 30, 2009
My dad deposited 2.5million naira in to my account yesterday because 7200 pouds in my living expenses at South Chelsea College and my fees for the first year is 1500 pounds.Hopefully,i;ll apply for my student visa on the 27th jan 2010. Since there is an error on the date of birth on my waec certificate, i sat for another one in 2008 and i performed excellently well although i applied to the college with the previous certificate.My problem is that the 2008 waec certificate is not ready.Should i apply with the previous cert with an affidavit from the Federal High Court or should i use the confirmation of result of the latest cert.Do i need to enclose my dad;s statement of act and aletter from his bank too or his my own act sufficient since he transferred money to it.Do i use my dad as sponsor on my form or should i write my name only?Im planning to come back to Nigeria to manage his hotel after my studies.What documents do ineed to enclose with my application in this regard?Finally my school has no provision for accomodation,what do i fill in my application to show that i have somewhere to stay. Someone help me.This is my first time and i dont want to make mistakes.Thankss.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by cconcept: 12:31pm On Dec 30, 2009
hello house,what are your opinions on london metropolitan university in terms of standard?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2009
lad1000:

My dad deposited 2.5million naira in to my account yesterday because 7200 pouds in my living expenses at South Chelsea College and my fees for the first year is 1500 pounds.Hopefully,i;ll apply for my student visa on the 27th jan 2010. Since there is an error on the date of birth on my waec certificate, i sat for another one in 2008 and i performed excellently well although i applied to the college with the previous certificate.My problem is that the 2008 waec certificate is not ready.Should i apply with the previous cert with an affidavit from the Federal High Court or should i use the confirmation of result of the latest cert.Do i need to enclose my dad;s statement of act and aletter from his bank too or his my own act sufficient since he transferred money to it.Do i use my dad as sponsor on my form or should i write my name only?Im planning to come back to Nigeria to manage his hotel after my studies.What documents do ineed to enclose with my application in this regard?Finally my school has no provision for accomodation,what do i fill in my application to show that i have somewhere to stay. Someone help me.This is my first time and i dont want to make mistakes.Thankss.

@lad1000 - your question has already been answered by others on the forum. Is there no means of getting a correction done on your WAEC, i am surprised you resat the WAEC. The honest answer to that question is I cannot be certain. There is have not seen any thing written about what to do in this circumstance by UKBA, but I would have thought an affidavit would be sufficient. Let's see if anyone in the house did this and had any luck. If it is definitely your documents - go ahead and do what we advised you on this forum already.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 1:42pm On Dec 30, 2009
cconcept:

hello house,what are your opinions on london metropolitan university in terms of standard?

@Cconcept - it depend on what you have and the money you have. If you want the best value for money and your bank account is flowing with £30,000 at least (N7.5 million untouched). The best for good careers are those ranked in the Guardian league tables as top 10 universities year on year. Most specifically though (not in order): Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE and Imperial.
graduating from these places mean you are ALMOST guaranteed a job on completion.

However, many students who don't go to such universities still do well and of course my focus here is on international students. For its price, Lon Met offers good value for money especially if you are using its courses as a stepping stone but it also depends on your course or goals. There are universities that are ranked the same and would cost less because of their lower tuition fees or being outside London. Huddersfield university for example you would only need to show £5,400 in maintenance fees for this university and it is growing it offers its students lots of assistance on obtaining employement or mapping out careers.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 1:51pm On Dec 30, 2009
Which Universities are Best??

It really depends on your pocket and your dreams. Here are two examples of two types of candidates I have come across and the options I have put forward to them:
Candididate 1: Mr Money is no problem (Budget N7.5million/£30,000 per annum)
Candididate 2: Miss Dreamer (Budget N2.5million/£10,000 for one year after borrowing from parents, co-operatives, aunties, uncles and friends)

Mr Money is no problem
Your aspirations: What do you want? Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
He answers: "Working in an Investment Bank in USA as a trader:
What qualifications do you have:
He answes: "Cambridge A-Levels all at A grade in Maths, Physics and English"
What is your age?
He answers: "17"

My advice, either study economics, maths related subjects or engineering at a top  university i.e. Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, or Imperial in particular.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 2:02pm On Dec 30, 2009
Miss Dreamer
Your aspirations: What do you want? Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
She answers: "I just need to be working anywhere, and contibuting to my family, perhaps I will come back and work in a bank, I should hopefully be married by then too!"
What qualifications do you have:
She answers: "WAEC with C6 in English, then a 2.2. in Business Education, I have completed my NYSC"
What is your age?
She answers: "26"

My advice is to really think about your future especially as you are starting this off indebted to others. Lets push aside the banking for a second and concentrate on your teaching for now we can help you apply to Huddersfield University which is in your budget for a PGCE and when you qualifiy with NQT you will earn on average £25,000, or £30,000 if you work in London. That should at least get your debts out of the way, then you can even do a part-time MSc whilst working fulltime (via evening courses) in Finance or something else if you still beleive you want to work as a banker.  You can even do that at a top 5 university - you will be able to afford it and achieve your dreams.

www.degreeangel.co.uk
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by cconcept: 5:37pm On Dec 30, 2009
ell77,.
contact me-forthelords@yahoo.com
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ell77(f): 10:44am On Dec 31, 2009
@Cconcept and others, it is unsafe to leave your email on this page because of scammers, I am happy to contact you if you have any private queries. but it may be better to contact me by email on director@degreeangel.co.uk or ellaoku@gmail.com. If I don't get back to you fast enough contact a member of my staff at enquiries@degreeangel.co.uk or call our office on +44(0)207 148 7926

N.B. You omit the zero in brackets when dialling.

Details and online application/enquiry forms are on our website www.degreeangel.co.uk

Regards

DegreeAngel UK Limited

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR IN ADVANCE!
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered by ella1: 8:36pm On Dec 31, 2009
Pls which of the VFS centers is faster VI or Ikeja? thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (141)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Need Help With Direction / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.