Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,643 members, 7,820,251 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? (25086 Views)

Pastors And Controversies...kumuyi's Example / Kemi Olunloyo: Pastors And Their Aspirations To Be Like Jesus / Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by claremont(m): 5:22pm On Sep 10, 2016
Seun:
I think Pastor Adeboye started it. Despite being the humblest Pastor in the world.

No, I think Kumuyi retains the title as the humblest Pastor in the world, closely followed by Adeboye. They are humble enough to collect tithes and offering in this harsh economy. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 10, 2016
As for the issue of daddy or daddy G.O, Daddy bishop or Mummy saga:
Someone did well by pasting Matthew 23:9. Someone will say that 'sheybi' Paul called Timothy 'Son-in-the-faith". So, we must understand Jesus' statement contextually: Jesus began the 'hot' message with direct rebuttal of the Pharisees. The Pharisees enjoyed lording over people and putting them under harsh religious burden, they love religious titles (like many religious leaders do today). He simply told them never to see any man as spiritual authority figure but CHRIST alone. Many believers today have made religious leaders their idol instead of Christ..
We are not to disrespect spiritually mature brothers..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by DedeNkem: 5:27pm On Sep 10, 2016
princevinco:
You should differentiate between physical fathers and spiritual fathers. Any man or woman who is feeding you spiritual food like pastors are your spiritual father irrespective of his or her age even if you are older.

Complete nonsense!!
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by uzziwise: 5:28pm On Sep 10, 2016
the bible is against it
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 10, 2016
sonofluc1fer:
Because only Daddy can collect the money the Lord gave you.
Hahahahahahaha
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by IYANGBALI: 5:33pm On Sep 10, 2016
2special:
Am sorry o bt are u SURE u are a christain cos lots of threads like this is always from those terrorist disguising as christian and Whatever u like u call ur pastor or alfa,there are better issues to bother you....the bible instruct us to "Look unto Jesus,the author and Finisher of our Faith" If you keep looking at others the way they practise their christianity,you may be diverted...Jesus is Lord!
answer the fokn question or shut the fokn up
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by GOFRONT(m): 5:34pm On Sep 10, 2016
These dayz I see[b] BOTH[/b] of dem on Flyers, crusade advert on Sign post, billboards. Me still dey wonder why!!!!!!
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by idfact0404(m): 5:39pm On Sep 10, 2016
Nairalanders na 2 get sense, let dem know! Carry on!!
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by vislabraye(m): 5:44pm On Sep 10, 2016
Poliporpor:
After an argument in church resulting from "call me mommy and I am older than you”, I have been having this curiosity, why are pastors now called “Daddy” and their wives “mummy?” personally, I do not believe that it is right to address a pastor as “Daddy”. Like pastor is not enough respect to someone who teaches the Bible? Jesus was called "Teacher" and not Daddy. Is there any bible verse to wrong my thought or are we now adopting our own style of Christianity? And why would a pastor even accept such a title when our father in heaven is also addressed as such?

I think it's because Paul referred to himself as a "father" to Timothy.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by amolak: 5:49pm On Sep 10, 2016
I could recall when I was young, I did see calender of Jesus in christians homes, now it has been replaced by Daddy & mummy calendar

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by 4nobody4every1: 5:50pm On Sep 10, 2016
anonimi:
Because their followers are sheeple who see the pastor as their own personal god and have forgotten/replaced the Almighty God who seeks those to worship him in spirit and in truth.
The followers set themselves up to be defrauded by the scammers in cassock.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4155194_religionquote_jpeg51ef818e81f851e5958395931ebafe6f
Buhari, it is time to lock up anonimi, he is still posting on Nairaland, Buhari cant you use EFCC to arrest and lock anonimi up till 2023 wink grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by oaroloye(m): 5:54pm On Sep 10, 2016
SHALOM!

THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH has infiltrated the FULL GOSPEL Movement, to DESTROY It from within.

Therefore, it is appropriate that their Undercover Spies start calling themselves "(Reverend) FATHER" and "MOTHER (Superior)!"

1 Like

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by vislabraye(m): 5:58pm On Sep 10, 2016
princevinco:
You should differentiate between physical fathers and spiritual fathers. Any man or woman who is feeding you spiritual food like pastors are your spiritual father irrespective of his or her age even if you are older.

Hold on first. Let's try try to interpret Jesus statement when he said, " call no man father..or master or teacher." Can you kindly explain what Jesus meant by thst ?
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 10, 2016
ireneony:
More reason i don't like Nigeria churches. .

U will see an elder kneeling down to greet the so called mummy and daddy.
so pathetic grin

Modified

That was how one student pastor told me to kneel whenever i want to greet him n my pastor . .i was told him bluntly "i don't kneel down to greet at home..so why should i do opposite outside"
I wanted to insult him that day

The truth is most Nigerians have high service atitude

You mean eye service attitude?
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by KingAfo(m): 6:12pm On Sep 10, 2016
This is just respect. Nothing more
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 10, 2016
According to my dictionary, daddy is another title for one's father n daddy can also be used informally for a male lover .So, which daddy are you referring to here?
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by afroxyz: 6:20pm On Sep 10, 2016
ogawisdom:
Dts wat we Catholics call Reverend Father cool it's a mark of extreme respect we accord ordained priests.

Everything must not b in d Bible dts y u have brain and conscience. Abi where is it in d Bible dt we shld use Internet

And where did you see in the bible that a man should marry only one wife or that one should not smoke, or that alcohol is sin? Abeg borrow brain
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by legaxi(m): 6:22pm On Sep 10, 2016
tolustx:
Church is a family. The heads or pillars of the family are the father and mother, otherwise called daddy and mummy. I guess that's why we call them daddy and mummy.
princevinco:
KingAfo:
This is just respect. Nothing more
robosky02:
JUST a sign or mark of respect

ok

why do you call your father daddy? undecided
agwom:
signs of respect for the chief servant of God
fikfaknuel:
I think this is the most stupid question I have ever come across. Even more stupid than 'Is he a boy?'
Aiholi:

Sir Seun, Daddy Adeboye as a respected man of God DID NOT tell any one to refer to him as that.. His spiritual children call him that. I personally see nothing wrong in the name.

In Yoruba tradition, we refer to anyone older or able to parent us as ''daddy'' and ''mummy'' so why cant a man of God be referred to as ''daddy'' seeing he is over 70??

Gullibles spotted grin
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by moshould(m): 6:22pm On Sep 10, 2016
Because they treat all the congregation like children, regardless of their age....
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by ogawisdom(m): 6:26pm On Sep 10, 2016
afroxyz:

And where did you see in the bible that a man should marry only one wife or that one should not smoke, or that alcohol is sin? Abeg borrow brain

Is like u lack English comprehension, ok go through my comment n this time very slowly if u still can't understand then go back to primary 3 undecided
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Pavarottii(m): 6:27pm On Sep 10, 2016
princevinco:
And which scripture said so?
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by AMossley(m): 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2016
People call those they look up to whatever name they deem fit as a sign of respect,not only pastors becos in some government schools,the students refer to teachers as daddy and mummy
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by fikfaknuel(f): 6:36pm On Sep 10, 2016
I think this is the most stupid question I have ever come across. Even more stupid than 'Is he a boy?'
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Pavarottii(m): 6:37pm On Sep 10, 2016
Yinkatolu:
I'm sure they never forced you to call them that
Why can't the pastors correct them? That's why they r in church, to teach dem d right thing; not overlook it.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by tolustx(m): 6:38pm On Sep 10, 2016
legaxi:

Gullibles spotted grin
What exactly is your point oga, I see u as someone who has an unnecessary resentment for the clerics. How does calling a cleric daddy make one gullible? And do they ask that they be called so or people just decide to d that?
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by legaxi(m): 6:42pm On Sep 10, 2016
tolustx:

What exactly is your point oga, I see u as someone who has an unnecessary resentment for the clerics. How does calling a cleric daddy make one gullible? And do they ask that they be called so or people just decide to d that?
Of course they ask people to call them Daddy and mommy indirectly because they refused to tell them not too.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by fikfaknuel(f): 7:02pm On Sep 10, 2016
legaxi:

Gullibles spotted grin
Proud to be one. Hey bro, check out my story in the literature section "AJEGUNLE: The tale from the ghetto"
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by neolboy(m): 7:14pm On Sep 10, 2016
Poliporpor:
Thank you very much for this Bible verse. I never knew it existed i just checked it. Matthew 23:9 And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. But the pastors read this verse in the Bible, then why do they accept when people cal them that?

that means say calling ur father daddy is wrong then
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by legaxi(m): 7:24pm On Sep 10, 2016
fikfaknuel:

Proud to be one. Hey bro, check out my story in the literature section "AJEGUNLE: The tale from the ghetto"
Will certainly do.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by freshcvvs: 7:24pm On Sep 10, 2016
princevinco:

Where is the Bible reference?
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by ladja2013: 7:27pm On Sep 10, 2016
2special:
Am sorry o bt are u SURE u are a christain cos lots of threads like this is always from those terrorist disguising as christian and Whatever u like u call ur pastor or alfa,there are better issues to bother you....the bible instruct us to "Look unto Jesus,the author and Finisher of our Faith" If you keep looking at others the way they practise their christianity,you may be diverted...Jesus is Lord!

What are u driving at? Because they are raising up issues dat is incompatible with Biblical doctrine they are terrorist. U better go and sleep, people like you can be biblically caressed by ur Pastor to eat grass. Nonsense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Four Abia Gay Anglican Priests Dismissed By Church / Dr Fireman Poster On All Hot Girls In Lagos / 5 Common Ways God Can Speak To You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.