Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,608 members, 7,820,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? (25085 Views)

Pastors And Controversies...kumuyi's Example / Kemi Olunloyo: Pastors And Their Aspirations To Be Like Jesus / Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by achorladey: 7:57pm On Sep 10, 2016
Matthew 23:8 you, do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your Teacher, and all of you are brothers. That is the simple instruction given to Christ followers but will they adhere no. You see them bring there worldly title into Christianity, simply because that competitive nature inherent in them won't allow them. That same competitive attitude Jesus tried to correct by washing the feet of his disciples. Example Rev. Dr......... Prof...... Knowing fully well that being called Prof or Dr is not an indication of spiritual maturity.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by donnie(m): 7:58pm On Sep 10, 2016
Busybody OP
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by achorladey: 8:02pm On Sep 10, 2016
Matthew 23:8 you, do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your Teacher, and all of you are brothers. That is the simple instruction given to Christ followers but will they adhere, NO. You see them bring their worldly title into Christianity, simply because that competitive nature inherent in them won't allow. That same competitive attitude Jesus tried to correct by washing the feet of his disciples. Example Rev. Dr......... Prof...... Knowing fully well that being called Prof or Dr is not an indication of spiritual maturity.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 10, 2016
Poliporpor:
After an argument in church resulting from "call me mommy and I am older than you”, I have been having this curiosity, why are pastors now called “Daddy” and their wives “mummy?” personally, I do not believe that it is right to address a pastor as “Daddy”. Like pastor is not enough respect to someone who teaches the Bible? Jesus was called "Teacher" and not Daddy. Is there any bible verse to wrong my thought or are we now adopting our own style of Christianity? And why would a pastor even accept such a title when our father in heaven is also addressed as such?
apart from my parent i call daddy and mummy,i still call people who are old enough to give birth to me daddy and mummy when i come across such people even though i don't know them and my pastor and wife is not excluded.on my own point of view, i think is a good thing to do pastor or nor pastor.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Oghumu1(m): 8:13pm On Sep 10, 2016
Seun:
I think Pastor Adeboye started it. Despite being the most humble pastor in the world.
He never started anything, those who call him "Daddy" use it as a respect to him being elderly. Have u heard them calling their sons daddy? Its more like a way of respect.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Oghumu1(m): 8:15pm On Sep 10, 2016
Poliporpor:
Thank you very much for this Bible verse. I never knew it existed i just checked it. Matthew 23:9 And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. But the pastors read this verse in the Bible, then why do they accept when people cal them that?
The bible says "Father" and not Daddy. Apart from that, read the bible with understanding and not with what u see. From now on start calling your parents Mr. and Mrs..
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by sonofthunder: 8:33pm On Sep 10, 2016
Seun:
I think Pastor Adeboye started it. Despite being the most humble pastor in the world.
can you be kind to explain how he is proud here?
besides who gave him the 'title' of most humble pastor or daddy? did he give them to himself?
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by sonofthunder: 8:38pm On Sep 10, 2016
God = Heavenly Daddy.
Father = Daddy.
Pastor = Spiritual Daddy.
why are some of us pulling our hair out its place.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by riczy(m): 9:15pm On Sep 10, 2016
Waymt about father (rev)
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by onoja12: 10:06pm On Sep 10, 2016
Keep quite an African whatover seas pastor wife like to be call first lady,so go and dig into the fraud going on in the name of religion and leave Africa out of it

freakyben:
Is ah African alternative Christian lifestyle. Is wrong to call any man your father if he is not truly your biological or adopted (guardian) father. Africans infuse traditional beliefs into Christianity.

Lalasticlala, mood44, moderator we need change 2016.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Weah96: 10:23pm On Sep 10, 2016
upendime:
apart from my parent i call daddy and mummy,i still call people who are old enough to give birth to me daddy and mummy when i come across such people even though i don't know them and my pastor and wife is not excluded.on my own point of view, i think is a good thing to do pastor or nor pastor.

So phock the bible ehn?
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Weah96: 10:26pm On Sep 10, 2016
Oghumu1:

The bible says "Father" and not Daddy. Apart from that, read the bible with understanding and not with what u see. From now on start calling your parents Mr. and Mrs..

So you read with eyes closed?
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by VajanahDischaj(f): 11:03pm On Sep 10, 2016
tintingz:
Because they(Pastors) want their members to see them as Demi-gods/goddess.
your head block die!!! as in Enn!!!no spiritual activity can unlock the level of blocknesss
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by XaintJoel20: 11:17pm On Sep 10, 2016
IssyGenius:
If you truly want freedom by the word of God then you must be unbiased and open to God's word.
Number one Issue is this: It was never God's plan to hand over the Ecclesia(what we call church) to pastors but to Christ himself. Pastoral ministry is one of the five fold gifts (Ephesians 4:11,12). Christ gave gifts and gave some the pastoral gift. It was never a title in the early church but the work of ministry for edification.
However, there must be older spiritual brethren in the gatherings of the called out ones who will take care of the younger believers (KJV mistranslated lot of things). Jesus said "the princes of gentiles exercise Lordship over each other but it shall not be so among the believers, believers are servants of each others" (see Matthew 20:26). The idea in 1 peter 2:13 that those who have AUTHORITY OVER YOU is a misinterpretation. The Greek word is "proistemi" which means to stand before, lead, showing forth". To avoid error, we must interpret it in the light of what Christ has said. The sent one (Peter) admonished them to yield to the leading of the older spiritual brothers who show forth an outstanding example. He never preached a delegated authority here.
When you check Titus and Timothy that preachers use to before the delegated authority. The ordination in Titus 2 was wrongly translated. The Greek word is "Cheirotoneo" which means 'to point out'.. Vine dictionary of Greek wrote "not an ecclesiastical ordination in view". Paul told Titus to point out spirituality mature brethren for other believers to see. This brothers will take care of the brethren by feeding them with the word of counsel and point them to Jesus who has authority over them. They are like efferent nerves in the body who will transmit the impulse from higher centre.
I am opening a thread to discuss elaborately as God helps.
Beep me when you open the thread.
Thanks
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Maximus85(m): 12:20am On Sep 11, 2016
2special:
Am sorry o bt are u SURE u are a christain cos lots of threads like this is always from those terrorist disguising as christian and Whatever u like u call ur pastor or alfa,there are better issues to bother you....the bible instruct us to "Look unto Jesus,the author and Finisher of our Faith" If you keep looking at others the way they practise their christianity,you may be diverted...Jesus is Lord!

Taaaaah there. If you obey 9 and disobey 1, you have disobeyed all.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Oghumu1(m): 12:33am On Sep 11, 2016
Weah96:

So you read with eyes closed?
If that's the way I will understand, yes!!
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Nobody: 1:57am On Sep 11, 2016
Deification a symptom of retarded intellect....The daddy and mommy crowd seek special attention by declaring a more intimate relationship, whilst the daddy and mommy secretly harbour a demagogue complex....such simplistic and cowardly webbing permeates to the lowest rung of our society...from uncling and auntying those with whom we have no filial relationship to brothering and sistering those with whom we have no degree of consanguinity whatsoever....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by samsono30: 3:37am On Sep 11, 2016
mikkypel:
When you see your pastor next time, call him brother followed by his name eg if your pastor is Pastor Adeboye, when you see him facially, Address him as brother Adeboye

Look at this one oooo, if i call pastor brother will he beat me neh, if i no change am for am? No be my mama born me. Na pple like una dey kiss pastor yash abi? Daddy my ass.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by samsono30: 3:50am On Sep 11, 2016
sonofthunder:
God = Heavenly Daddy.

Father = Daddy.

Pastor = Spiritual Daddy.

why are some of us pulling our hair out its place.

Na God go bless u, he get some weed some of these guys parent done smoke wen dey young b4 d born them, na d side effect u dey see for NL so. D no go fit understand.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by samsono30: 4:03am On Sep 11, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
Deification a symptom of retarded intellect....The daddy and mommy crowd seek special attention by declaring a more intimate relationship, whilst the daddy and mommy secretly harbour a demagogue complex....such simplistic and cowardly webbing permeates to the lowest rung of our society...from uncling and auntying those with whom we have no filial relationship to brothering and sistering those with whom we have no degree of consanguinity whatsoever....

Omo English speak for himself here, may u speak anthr English anthr day, say amen oooo
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Funjosh(m): 4:18am On Sep 11, 2016
IYANGBALI:
Make I book space,dis thread go sweet die. VickyRotex rokiatu msglobalwonder Freeglobe Aminat508 Prettythicksme Juliaann osusumustflow funjosh eleko1 funmilade11 edwife mukina2 seun lalasticlala chukwudi44 and ajepako make una come sidon o. Food don done

E be like say dem don ban BABANGBALI again tongue
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by tintingz(m): 5:29am On Sep 11, 2016
VajanahDischaj:
your head block die!!! as in Enn!!!no spiritual activity can unlock the level of blocknesss
You are thinking with your moniker. grin
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Handsomecole(m): 5:40am On Sep 11, 2016
It's just a protestant church mentality. No structure no history.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 11, 2016
Poliporpor:
After an argument in church resulting from "call me mommy and I am older than you”, I have been having this curiosity, why are pastors now called “Daddy” and their wives “mummy?” personally, I do not believe that it is right to address a pastor as “Daddy”. Like pastor is not enough respect to someone who teaches the Bible? Jesus was called "Teacher" and not Daddy. Is there any bible verse to wrong my thought or are we now adopting our own style of Christianity? And why would a pastor even accept such a title when our father in heaven is also addressed as such?
The protestant church after breaking out from the Catholic Church is now seeing the need to still copy some good they see in the mother church.
The reason they call pastor daddy is just the same reason Catholics call priest father in the sense that they are your spiritual father/leader/guide.
But they didn't want it to sound exactly the same way the Catholic do their's so they coined daddy instead.
Just as they have copied the sharing of communion during fellowship like Catholics do.

Go figure, so the Catholic Church was doing something right after all.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 11, 2016
XaintJoel20:

Beep me when you open the thread.
Thanks
I have opened the thread on religion section. Denominational error series....

1 Like

Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by yre231(m): 8:09am On Sep 11, 2016
I guess anyone that feed you with physical food is your physical father ...make una give una self Brian abeg.
princevinco:
You should differentiate between physical fathers and spiritual fathers. Any man or woman who is feeding you spiritual food like pastors are your spiritual father irrespective of his or her age even if you are older.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by olagift(f): 10:30am On Sep 11, 2016
No man or woman of God actually ask their members to be calling them daddies and mummies. You know Nigerians and their way of doing things. They are actually doing it on their own accord. I can assure you that some pastors are not comfortable with it. It is just that people are so used to it that even if you attempt to stop them, they would still not stop.
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by femi4: 12:10pm On Sep 11, 2016
martineinstein:
daddy in the lord is even worse
you lack understanding
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by IYANGBALI: 12:16pm On Sep 11, 2016
Funjosh:

sharaaaaaaaaaaap my brother don travel to mecca. When he come back him name go be Alhaji babangbali oloko esin
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by mikkypel(m): 12:26pm On Sep 11, 2016
samsono30:

Look at this one oooo, if i call pastor brother will he beat me neh, if i no change am for am? No be my mama born me. Na pple like una dey kiss pastor yash abi? Daddy my ass.

Na u sabi
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by BABANGBALI: 12:39pm On Sep 11, 2016
Funjosh:

see me here mumu. I dey Saudi now on pilgrimage. I wan become Alhaji babangbali
Re: Why Are Pastors And Their Wives Called Daddy And Mummy? by Tellemall: 4:20pm On Sep 11, 2016
Poliporpor:

Don't mind them.

All they want is servile followers. It's a form of pride in their circles that people respect them more than they do their own parents, that people have elevated them on that parental pedestal of adulation.

Call them "daddy" and "mummy" to stroke their feelings of self importance.

The title of pastor is never enough. Now they want to step into your families as the alpha and omega, as your father and mother. Why can't Nigerian pastors be professional for once?All they do is copy behaviors that they do not know it's origins.

And the slaves who refer to them in this manner require mental servicing. Nobody would call them by those names if people were wiser.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kenneth Hagin & Kenneth Copeland - Pentecostal Confusion / Four Abia Gay Anglican Priests Dismissed By Church / Dr Fireman Poster On All Hot Girls In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.