Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,523 members, 7,837,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why (20653 Views)

They Were Pocketing N4.2b Yearly. Maina Drops Names From Hiding / Abiola Wrote The Names Of Ministers For Abacha - Olutayo Soyode / Prophecy That Changed The Life Of Yemi Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 02, 2016
HopeAtHand:

Tell the origin of the Igbos.. and may i remind you that there are over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria and they all deserve to be regarded and accorded respect no matter how large or little their individual population are.

There is something about Igbos and their ITK tendencies. You people are very nosy and do not concern yourselves to things that directly concern you. Also, People who lived in the former eastern region can attest to Igbo overbearing posture on other smaller erhnicities and it is still very evident till today.

Only in the dreams of Igbos will be Ikwerre be Igbo.
Lol.
You Ikwerre's should keep living in lala land, by denying your true forebears.
Unfortunately i am not an Igbo girl.
#peace.

12 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by mesoprogress(m): 10:44am On Oct 02, 2016
We should not be discussing these irrelevant issues. Ikwerre has decided that they no longer want to be associated with Igbo. Please let's leave them alone. Did we lose or gain anything by their denial, did it make them fare better than the Igbos? No!

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by HopeAtHand: 10:46am On Oct 02, 2016
herbie27:
Lol.
You Ikwerre's should keep living in lala land, by denying your true forebears.
Unfortunately i am not an Igbo girl.
#peace.

Tell me wher you come from you liar.. keep denying you're Igbo.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Kingsley1000(m): 10:46am On Oct 02, 2016
Henry240:

Exactly, it is also because of this overbearing influence many in the South-South joined the Nigerian army against Biafra in the civil war.

This is also the reason why up to 85% of Rivers people are Anti-IPOB.
they joined Nigerian army against biafra?
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 10:48am On Oct 02, 2016
Kingsley1000:
Many did.....
Elechi Amadi comes to mind

6 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by ificatchmodeh: 10:50am On Oct 02, 2016
omonnakoda:
Take note that Rumu is an Ikwerre word for children and was not created from the Igbo word Umu.

according to this author
http://247ureports.com/beyond-chimamanda-and-the-rumu-umu-controversyby-okachikwu-dibia/

My friend..are you ikwere or ibo...
Don't ignore..

2 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by SlayerSupreme: 10:52am On Oct 02, 2016
[s]
omonnakoda:
http://247ureports.com/beyond-chimamanda-and-the-rumu-umu-controversyby-okachikwu-dibia/

Let me educate Chimamanda that Ikwerre names were first changed by the Igbos when the latter colonized the former under the Eastern Regional Government. During this time, Ikwerre was under total social, economic and political control of the Igbo, hence it was extremely difficult then to challenge the changing of Ikwerre names by the Igbo. Who was Ikwerre to challenge Igbo maximum leadership actions in Ikwerreland? We know the indignities suffered by late Chief E. J. A. Oriji in the Eastern House of Assembly and indeed in the hands of the Eastern Region government by insisting that Ikwerre is not Igbo.

Another means through which Igbo names came into existence in Ikwerre was via other interactions between the Ikwerre and the Igbo. But note that these interactions were initially with mutual respect but later became one between a stronger culture (Igbo) and a weaker culture (Ikwerre) within a new rampaging political regime that favoured the Igbo culture aimed at becoming an absolute dominant culture in the region. For example there were names like Port Azikiwe (Igbo name) for Port Harcourt; Igirita (Igbo name) for Igwuruta; Amaweke (Igbo name) for Rumuokwuta; Obinna (Igbo name) for Ovundah; Onyemaechi (Igbo name) for Yelemaekhile etc. Take note that the non-Igbo names were there before they were changed by the Igbo into Igbo names. Natuarally, the Ikwerre did not like the changing of such names; but Ikwerre could not challenge these local colonizers.

Also recall that during the Eastern Regional Government, Igbo language was the second official language used to teach in schools throughout the region, to worship in churches and used in offices. Some Ikwerre who dared to use Ikwerre language in the church for example were punished by the Igbo who were in charge of the churches in the first place (see page 145 in my book titled: The Challenge of Ikwerre Development in Nigeria 2011).

It was in these circumstances that, especially after the creation of Rivers State, Ikwerre people got relieved and encouraged enough to change some of the Igbo-imposed names back to their original Ikwerre names. It was this second change of names that Chimamanda and indeed most Igbos see as Ikwerre’s effort at denying being Igbo. That is not true! The real reason for the second change of names was to return the names to their true and authentic Ikwerre names.
[/s]
This deceitful trash must have been crafted by the Devil himself

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by mightyhazell: 10:53am On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

The fact that someone speaks your language doesnt make him ypur brother, and ikwerre use rumu in there speech, dere is no point spreading falsehood, there is this song by erasmus jenewari-joy where an ikwerre lady was in the song, and i have lots of ikwerre friends who use it in there speech, stop this lies and let Nigeria move pass this local colonialism
I will be lying because of one dumb R prefix? Guy use ur brain. I just stated my observations. The year 2007 was wen I first noticed these stuffs abt igbos and ikweres,..wen a member of our union died.on his poster,I saw rivers state. I was suprised cos ds guy spoke v fluent igbo. I never knew any igbo speaking group was even native 2 rivers. It was since den I even started reasoning dat most igbo guys I met all thru my schooling days may not evn be from southeast and anioma. Since den too,I took it upon myself 2 ask igbo speaking friends n colleagues dia state of origin. And believ me av seen hundreds from rivers. No one ever spoke rumu-anytin. Just because one singer forcefully inserted it in her songs doesn't make it generally used ok?

16 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Udmaster(m): 10:57am On Oct 02, 2016
Are we not tired of these ikwerre crap?.
Y will a yoruba Op open a cunny thread and u guys fell for it?
Lets this nonsense end. And these ikwerres should stop bearing Igbo names to stop this confusion.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 10:58am On Oct 02, 2016
Kingsley1000:

Yes, a lot did, if not most.
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 10:58am On Oct 02, 2016
HopeAtHand:

Tell me wher you come from you liar... keep denying you're Igbo.
cheesy cheesy Well, the basis of our argument is if "Ikwerres are Igbos or not?).
I am from Rivers State and we don't have issues with our dialect unlike the ikwerres.

15 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Udmaster(m): 11:02am On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

The fact that someone speaks your language doesnt make him ypur brother, and ikwerre use rumu in there speech, dere is no point spreading falsehood, there is this song by erasmus jenewari-joy where an ikwerre lady was in the song, and i have lots of ikwerre friends who use it in there speech, stop this lies and let Nigeria move pass this local colonialism
you always give urself away. "Coolscot.t" is ur other moniker.
You can't fool any1 here with this fake moniker.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by uyiekpen26: 11:08am On Oct 02, 2016
Igbos and this Ikwerre proposed domination is getting out of hand. Why on earth are you trying to be friends with someone who doesn't want to be friends with you? Is it by force? Una no dey tire? I think it's time prominent Ikwerre citizens come together and put a final stop to this Ikwerres are igbos rubbish.

10 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Udmaster(m): 11:12am On Oct 02, 2016
uyiekpen26:
Igbos and this Ikwerre proposed domination is getting out of hand. Why on earth are you trying to be friends with someone who doesn't want to be friends with you? Is it by force? Una no dey tire? I think it's time prominent Ikwerre citizens come together and put a final stop to this Ikwerres are igbos rubbish.
if you go to Enugu, dnt be suprised that 70% of them have not heard abt ikwerres.
Tell ikwerres to stop bearing Igbo names and speaking Igbo dialect for this confusion to END.
I can't name my future son "Olamide" because I am not yoruba, y will the ikwerres be naming and bearing Igbo names and speaking Igbo dialect?
The confusion is from them.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Ojiofor: 11:16am On Oct 02, 2016
Was it only Ikwerre people that fall under the influence of Igbo culture in the then Eastern region?
Why was Ogoja,Ogoni,Kalabari,Efik/Ibibio,Anang etc...still have their distinct languages and Igbo language was not forced upon them by the so called domineering Igbos in Eastern region and I ask what makes Ikwerre so special that Ndigbo pick special interest and forced their language on them?I need answer from the op of this meaningless thread.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by CandyDiamond(f): 11:20am On Oct 02, 2016
uyiekpen26:
Have you seen any Igbo person losing sleep about Ikwerre been not Igbo,is it not Yoruba that is losing sleep about it,amokodona and Ajieretuwo are all Yorubas,[/b]but when you tell the Yorubas that Egun,Aworis,Ilaje are not Yorubas you will see them screeming and barking on top of their voices[b], Igbos don't care about Ikwerre Identity they can only claim not to be Igbo in Ikwerre land once the leave their small colony and enter other parts of Nigeria they become an Igbo because you can tell an Hausa or Yoruba man that your name is Chibuike Amaechi, Chioma Amadi, at the same telling them you are not Igbo, is it not madness.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Udmaster(m): 11:29am On Oct 02, 2016
CandyDiamond:

Have you seen any Igbo person losing about Ikwerre been not Igbo,is not Yoruba that is losing sleep about it,amokodona and are all Yorubas,but when you tell the Yorubas that Egun,Aworis,Ilaje are not Yorubas you seen them screening and barking, Igbos don't care about Ikwerre Identity they can only claim not to be Igbo in Ikwerre land once the leave small colony and enter other part of Nigeria they become and Igbo because you tell a Hausa or Yoruba man that your name is Chibuike Amaechi, Chioma Amadi, at the same telling you are not Igbo.
nicely put.
What can ikwerre 4 local govts offer NDIGBO? NOTHING.
I have not heard abt ikwerre billionaire b4 neither have I heard abt an Ikwerre giant Entrepreneur.
Is it in terms of Intellectuals or Personalities?what exactly.
Ikwerres should stop bearing Igbo names and speaking Igbo dialects to end this confusion.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 02, 2016
Udmaster:
you always give urself away. "Coolscot.t" is ur other moniker.
You can't fool any1 here with this fake moniker.
Really, at least dis time you didn't call me a yoruba

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 11:34am On Oct 02, 2016
Udmaster:
nicely put.
What can ikwerre 4 local govts offer NDIGBO? NOTHING.
I have not heard abt ikwerre billionaire b4 neither have I heard abt an Ikwerre giant Entrepreneur.
Is it in terms of Intellectuals or Personalities?what exactly.
Ikwerres should stop bearing Igbo names and speaking Igbo dialects to end this confusion.
They can do nothing for igbo ppl yet u loose sleep over them every minute

8 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 02, 2016
CandyDiamond:

Have you seen any Igbo person losing sleep about Ikwerre been not Igbo,is it not Yoruba that is losing sleep about it,amokodona and Ajieretuwo are all Yorubas,[/b]but when you tell the Yorubas that Egun,Aworis,Ilaje are not Yorubas you will see them screeming and barking on top of their voices[b], Igbos don't care about Ikwerre Identity they can only claim not to be Igbo in Ikwerre land once the leave their small colony and enter other parts of Nigeria they become an Igbo because you can tell an Hausa or Yoruba man that your name is Chibuike Amaechi, Chioma Amadi, at the same telling them you are not Igbo, is it not madness.
Everytime i speak against your lies am either yoruba. Or hausa, u are only fooling urself with all dis b.s,

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Udmaster(m): 11:36am On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Really, at least dis time you didn't call me a yoruba
Coolscot.t, you think that you can fool who with this fake moniker? Shameless bigot..

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Udmaster(m): 11:39am On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

They can do nothing for igbo ppl yet u loose sleep over them every minute
no, it is ur Ijaw people that are loosing sleep over ikwerres. 16yrs, they are dominating u people in governorship.
After ikwerre, An Etche or Ekpeye governor is warming up from 2023-2031. After that Ogba man takes over.

14 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by DesChyko: 11:40am On Oct 02, 2016
omonnakoda:
There are many who like to pretend that Ikwerre only started claiming not to be Igbo after the civil war but we know this is untrue.This started in the Eastern Region Government even BEFORE INDEPENDENCE

You already have an opinion, why create a misleading thread? undecided

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 02, 2016
mightyhazell:
I will be lying because of one dumb R prefix? Guy use ur brain. I just stated my observations. The year 2007 was wen I first noticed these stuffs abt igbos and ikweres,..wen a member of our union died.on his poster,I saw rivers state. I was suprised cos ds guy spoke v fluent igbo. I never knew any igbo speaking group was even native 2 rivers. It was since den I even started reasoning dat most igbo guys I met all thru my schooling days may not evn be from southeast and anioma. Since den too,I took it upon myself 2 ask igbo speaking friends n colleagues dia state of origin. And believ me av seen hundreds from rivers. No one ever spoke rumu-anytin. Just because one singer forcefully inserted it in her songs doesn't make it generally used ok?
This igbo people can lie sha oh, anyways if una like post thread and cry more than the bereaved, Ikwerre ethnic nationality is recognized by Nigerian constitution and are represented up to the federal level, so carry your tribalistic mentality to your village ppl. Cos na only dem bliv you

8 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by ezeagu(m): 11:43am On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Everytime i speak against your lies am either yoruba. Or hausa, u are only fooling urself with all dis b.s,

We're tired of this topic. Let's talk about how genetically and genealogical, whether they accept it or not, the majority of Rivers State descends from present day Imo and Abia State and that's why the Igbo language displaced Ijo in some communities.

14 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Udmaster(m): 11:45am On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

This igbo people can lie sha oh, anyways if una like post thread and cry more than the bereaved, Ikwerre ethnic nationality is recognized by Nigerian constitution and are represented up to the federal level, so carry your tribalistic mentality to your village ppl. Cos na only dem bliv you
why are ikwerres dominating u ijaws in Rivers state?

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 02, 2016
Udmaster:
no, it is ur Ijaw people that are loosing sleep over ikwerres. 16yrs, they are dominating u people in governorship.
After ikwerre, An Etche or Ekpeye governor is warming up from 2023-2031. After that Ogba man takes over.
Lol, unlike you i am not tribalistic person, Rivers people are one, whoever rules is of no concern to an outsider like you, after all its an Ijaw woman (patience ibifaka Jonathan) that gave Wike the political power, so focus on your red mud governors and states

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Udmaster(m): 11:46am On Oct 02, 2016
ezeagu:

We're tired of this topic. Let's talk about how genetically and genealogical, whether they accept it or not, the majority of Rivers State descends from present day Imo and Abia State and that's why the Igbo language displaced Ijo in some communities.
there is nothing like ijaw language.
They have no central language.

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 02, 2016
ezeagu:

This is why no one wants to associate with your group.

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Udmaster(m): 11:49am On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Lol, unlike you i am not tribalistic person, Rivers people are one, whoever rules is of no concern to an outsider like you, after all its an Ijaw woman (patience ibifaka Jonathan) that gave Wike the political power, so focus on your red mud governors and states
hahahahaha. Dump reply.
Y not focus on that pit toilet of a state called Bayelsa.
Tell me any South East Capital that Yenegoa is better than?

5 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 02, 2016
Udmaster:
there is nothing like ijaw language.
They have no central language.
Are you referring to that your central language created in a lab

4 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by ezeagu(m): 11:51am On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

This is why no one wants to associate with your group.

Is that so? Then why do Rivers men still trek to Imo and Abia for wives, abi these states are now also "south south"?

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Osinbajo, Tony Blair Meet At Aso Villa / Omoyele Sowore: Peter Obi Is The "Best Packaged Fraud" / Osinbajo, Dabiri-Erewa At The Nigeria Diaspora Day 2015 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.