Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,373 members, 7,836,512 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why (20643 Views)

They Were Pocketing N4.2b Yearly. Maina Drops Names From Hiding / Abiola Wrote The Names Of Ministers For Abacha - Olutayo Soyode / Prophecy That Changed The Life Of Yemi Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 10:22am On Oct 04, 2016
omonnakoda:
With regards to the Rumu -Umu matter
There is just one question. Is it true ,as Ikwerre claim,that their towns and villages were named Rumu e.g Rumuokuta and the Igbos changed it to Umuokuta. I am not here to talk about whether Ikwerre are Igbo or not .Simple question yes or no?
Or are we to believe that Ikwerre people just manufactured the RUMU thing out of nowhere to spite Igbos? How believable is that? Why are people so deceitful
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Abagworo(m): 12:19pm On Oct 04, 2016
omonnakoda:

With regards to the Rumu -Umu matter
There is just one question. Is it true ,as Ikwerre
claim,that their towns and villages were named Rumu
e.g Rumuokuta and the Igbos changed it to Umuokuta.
I am not here to talk about whether Ikwerre are Igbo or
not .Simple question yes or no?
Or are we to believe that Ikwerre people just
manufactured the RUMU thing out of nowhere to spite
Igbos? How believable is that? Why are people so
deceitful

The truth is that those places bore those names earlier as a result of the fact that then Diobu Ikwerres embraced those Umu prefix for children despite Rumu being their dialectal version. It is common accross Igboland as many written names do not reflect the immediate dialect. An example is Ehugbo written and pronounced as Afikpo, Ugwuta written and pronounced Oguta, Owereh written and pronounced as Owerri etc. The Diobu Ikwerres felt dominated by non native Igbos from Southeast because of the usual Igbo attitude which has always led to a dichotomy in their host Igbo cities like Ngwa vs others in Aba, Onitsha vs others, Abakaliki vs others etc. mainly because non natives win most electoral offices making the natives allege a conspiracy which is unproven.

The change of name from Umu to Rumu was simply to declare liberation from inland Igbo dominance after Biafra was defeated in Port Harcourt. It was a political manipulation to give the Diobu a sense of belonging among tribes hitherto different from them and then prove that they are different from Igbo proper.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 04, 2016
ezeagu:

Is that so? Then why do Rivers men still trek to Imo and Abia for wives, abi these states are now also "south south"?
Sorry bro!, Rivers men don't trek to those States you mentioned, an average Rivers man will want to marry from Rivers State but an Average Ikwerre man will marry an Igbo woman, they're already in the State. cheesy

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 12:51pm On Oct 04, 2016
Abagworo:

The truth is that those places bore those names earlier as a result of the fact that then Diobu Ikwerres embraced those Umu prefix for children despite Rumu being their dialectal version. It is common accross Igboland as many written names do not reflect the immediate dialect. An example is Ehugbo written and pronounced as Afikpo, Ugwuta written and pronounced Oguta, Owereh written and pronounced as Owerri etc. The Diobu Ikwerres felt dominated by non native Igbos from Southeast because of the usual Igbo attitude which has always led to a dichotomy in their host Igbo cities like Ngwa vs others in Aba, Onitsha vs others, Abakaliki vs others etc. mainly because non natives win most electoral offices making the natives allege a conspiracy which is unproven.

The change of name from Umu to Rumu was simply to declare liberation from inland Igbo dominance after Biafra was defeated in Port Harcourt. It was a political manipulation to give the Diobu a sense of belonging among tribes hitherto different from them and then prove that they are different from Igbo proper.
Leave long story ,are you saying that previously there was never anything like RUMU that some people just conjured it up from nowhere after the war. Yes or no?
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Abagworo(m): 12:59pm On Oct 04, 2016
omonnakoda:
Leave long story ,are you saying that previously there was never anything like RUMU that some people just conjured it up from nowhere after the war. Yes or no?

Read my write up again. The answer is simply that it was Umu until liberation of Port Harcourt. Rumu is umu in Diobu dialect but it was not adopted in written form.
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2016
omonnakoda:
Comprehension problem every fuvcking where. Did you not read in his comments where he mentioned that Rumu is the dialect of Diobu Ikwerre, but used the general Umu before the war? And mind you, Ugwuruta and evirons don't use Rumu, they use Omu for children on their dialect, and they are still Ikwerre people.
You deserve a knock on your bozo head, for opening this divisive thread in the first place.

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 2:02pm On Oct 04, 2016
blues20:

Comprehension problem every fuvcking where. Did you not read in his comments where he mentioned that Rumu is the dialect of Diobu Ikwerre, but used the general Umu before the war?.
Abagworo:

Rumu is umu in Diobu dialect but it was not adopted in written form.

Both of you are confused. I suggest you get married and then you can call your offspring mumurumu
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by ezeagu(m): 2:28pm On Oct 04, 2016
herbie27:
Sorry bro!, Rivers men don't trek to those States you mentioned, an average Rivers man will want to marry from Rivers State but an Average Ikwerre man will marry an Igbo woman, they're already in the State. cheesy

Oh really?

AjiereTuwo:

Lol, ijaws marry lots of women especially igbo women because of cheap bride price, heck u can even get dem on credit, go and try and marry an Ibani or Kalabari girl and see the value of real women

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Ugwuoke347(m): 4:04pm On Oct 04, 2016
mrvitalis:

Ikwerre is even more igbo than the likes of nsukka, ohuofia, and abakalaka that's the truth, but who needs to force them to be igbos

First of all who named us igbos?? . .. let them be.. . If and when they realise themselves they claim their origin

Will you close that your dirty vocal orifice and stop blabbing like a deranged idiot. Who are you to decide who is more Igbo than the other? The fact that you find it very easy to insult Nsukkaland with your moronic comparison shows that you know nothing about Igbo ethnology. Keep displaying your disgusting notion of false superiority. In your warped thinking you and your Ikwerre chimps are of sterner Igbo stuff than the Nsukka folks. Talk of the bibble-babble of an idiot, full of sound and folly, and signifying nonsense.

6 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 04, 2016
omonnakoda:

Both of you are confused. I suggest you get married and then you can call your offspring mumurumu
Wouldn't mind if you give me your sister for my second wife... free though. undecided
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by PRXPERT: 5:17pm On Oct 04, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

I never claimed them, we are not landgrabbers like Igbos,
check out Duncan mighty comments! lol!b honestly I have never met anyone from ikwere aside on social media! there is this guy called Emeka ihuoha on facebook he hates igbo with every thing in his blood, I careless about him, but I'm very surprised to know that people with similar culture like ikwere can be very scornful of igbo people. please leave them to their misery! they are looking for an attention! we can never be together again. they have crossed the line!

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 04, 2016
PRXPERT:
check out Duncan mighty comments! lol!b honestly I have never met anyone from ikwere aside on social media! there is this guy called Emeka ihuoha on facebook he hates igbo with every thing in his blood, I careless about him, but I'm very surprised to know that people with similar culture like ikwere can be very scornful of igbo people. please leave them to their misery! they are looking for an attention! we can never be together again. they have crossed the line!
They probably dislike you people cos u are forcing them to claim an Identity, you guys should just let them be, is it too hard...piers morgan btw is a yoruba guy

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by AfroBlue(m): 5:47pm On Oct 04, 2016
more importantly, why is PH named after a former oyinbo colonial master? very hard to believe going into the year of our lord of 2017.

https://www.nairaland.com/574384/obiagu1-port-harcourt-1914-igboland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Vernon_Harcourt,_1st_Viscount_Harcourt

Port Harcourt, capital of Rivers State in southern Nigeria, is named after him. When the port was established in 1912, there was much controversy about the name it should receive

Between 1910 and 1915 he was Secretary of State for the Colonies under Asquith.

Harcourt was known as a sexual predator attracted to both sexes
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Ebbunwa(m): 5:35am On Oct 05, 2016
so are there no Indigenous Igbos outside the 'southeast' states? OK. when a crime is committed abroad or anywhere else and the name of the perpetrator is 'Emeka' for example, people should not conclude they are Igbos, the person could be Ikwerre or any other tribe that bear Igbo name. secondly when there is killing spree in the north, when they come to slaughter you, Please tell them you are not Igbo, that you are ikwerre, good luck.

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 12:30pm On Oct 05, 2016
blues20:

Wouldn't mind if you give me your sister for my second wife... free though. undecided
They are married but I have some dogs which I am sure you will enjoy.........

2 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 05, 2016
omonnakoda:
They are married but I have some dogs which I am sure you will enjoy.........
Heheee, mad man, just as you enjoy fingering nanny goats. cheesy cheesy cheesy Don't worry, everybody is not like you. He-goat. grin
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by lastpage: 11:41pm On Feb 15, 2017
Yyeske:
I've said it several times on this forum that Ndigbo should forget anything Ikwerre, how many LGs do they control in Rivers state and can the whole Ikwerre land compete with Abia state alone not including the whole Igbo nation? Let them fight with their identify crisis, make una allow them be abeg

Igbos are noted for being uncontrollably greedy, aggressive and assimilative! shocked shocked
They wont let them be until they can swallow them by force!

Even if you hand over the whole world to them, they will still fight over the Moon! angry angry
Like Oliver Twist, greedy people are NEVER contented

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 2:24am On Apr 20, 2017
Sydney22:
the man with unstable character have spoken ....

ONE RIVERS AS IN ONE NIGERIA ?

We're not one with you bro ... U're Ijaw and that's all
@Sydney you have spoken well lol
@TonyeBarcanista thank you for speaking truth. Ikwerre and the uplanders will continue to rule Rivers. Founding Bayelsa was the ultimate Ijaw folly lol. Truth is when you look at it although you're widespread, you lack the numbers in rivers state to make any serious noise.
The populations of OBALGA and PHALGA are not entirely Ikwerre, but they make up a sizable portion and above all control the political machinery in this election-defining locales. Add Ogoni and etche and the whole thing is a wrap. lololol
@ TonyeBarcanista Do you Ijaws even know what you want ? Why did Patience back Wike instead of Briggs ? Why did you follow them and not Dakuku ? lol
Jonathan presidency just messed up your entire political future in the nation. Ijaw war mongering has won them serious enemies and your Daddies( Northerners) have kicked y'all out. The wartime compensation/bonus period is done and over( It lasted for 40 yrs lol, stop complaining, Ikwerres only rose in 2007). After chopping rivers share in civil service, military and govt in every govt since Adam, it is now the cry of 'marginalization' hahaha
Please always remember that ppl like militants have no real power, they benefit off linkages to the state. Except its hungry-man creek fighting. Go ask ateke and asari them which one they prefer. And please endeavor to steer your youth toward carrying the guns and blowing pipelines, the upland politicians would continue to use them as fodder.
Upon all the school una go , eeya. Everybody has woken up. NO TO IJAW DOMINATION.
#RIVERSHASSPOKEN. The ones that matter. lololo.. Us that can bring votes
@TonyeBarcanista how many times did I call your name ? Please come and serve under us uplanders in peace. We are one Rivers afterall smiley)))))

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by MXrep: 2:37am On Apr 20, 2017
what is the different between Umu and Rumu?? can't these ignorant afonja OP see that Rumu is just a dialect just as Umu is the standardized version as Abagworo said?? Its just like writing Nwachukwu as Wachukwu, does that change anything, don't you know that other igbo clans in the SE pronouce it as Wachukwu but write in standardized version as Nwachukwu??

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by MXrep: 2:44am On Apr 20, 2017
lastpage:

Igbos are noted for being uncontrollably greedy, aggressive and assimilative! shocked shocked
They wont let them be until they can swallow them by force!

Even if you hand over the whole world to them, they will still fight over the Moon! angry angry
Like Oliver Twist, greedy people are NEVER contented

Lastpage!
Keep quiet, Ikot Ekpene is closer to Aba than PH, how many times has there been a debate over their ethnicity??/ Do you create an ethnic group by writing Umu as Rumu or Nwakamma as Wakamma just because it is pronouce like that in you dialect?? while you are free to write in your dialect, it does not confer a seperate ethnic group. Imo bears Ihedioha, anambra version is Ifediora so i do not see how Rumu vs Umu makes a distinct ethnic group

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by MXrep: 2:49am On Apr 20, 2017
/
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Yyeske(m): 5:25am On Apr 20, 2017
MXrep:

Keep quiet, Ikot Ekpene is closer to Aba than PH, how many times has there been a debate over their ethnicity??/ Do you create an ethnic group by writing Umu as Rumu or Nwakamma as Wakamma just because it is pronouce like that in you dialect?? while you are free to write in your dialect, it does not confer a seperate ethnic group. Imo bears Ihedioha, anambra version is Ifediora so i do not see how Rumu vs Umu makes a distinct ethnic group
Thanks for correcting that noise maker.
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by nabzguy: 2:11am On Jan 30, 2018
Udmaster:
when Azikiwe was President, No ijaw man have gotten B.degree..
When Emeka Anyaogu was common wealth sec.gen, No ijaw man had a phd.
And what did ur GEJ do? Do that pit toilet called bayelsa have an airport or seaport?
What did he do 4 u people.
Yeye
Go and Google about Nabo Graham Douglas an Ijaw man from Kalabari ethnic group the First SAN of Nigeria.
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Paretomaster(m): 6:01am On Jan 30, 2018
Henry240:

Exactly, it is also because of this overbearing influence many in the South-South joined the Nigerian army against Biafra in the civil war.

This is also the reason why up to 85% of Rivers people are Anti-IPOB.

Just give flatinnioes one inch, and they will take a Mile.. ..When they occupy juicy positions in the North before the War, they still tried to take over everything by staging that one sided coup.. .

Once they fail, they start Playing d victim Card......

Children of hate ...
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Paretomaster(m): 6:04am On Jan 30, 2018

Its not just the history of the Ikwerre they are rewriting but basically every tribe in the Niger delta in other to annex us into their phantom biafra

That is their modus operandi, exactly why they staged the first coup.. .
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Lajet: 7:10am On Jan 30, 2018
Paretomaster:

That is their modus operandi, exactly why they staged the first coup.. .

Afonja but the Coup leader is not an Igbo man his name is Chukwuma Nzogwu from Delta state . I thought that Afonjas said Igbo land starts and ends in South East. How come whenever the Coup issues arises Afonja will call it an Igbo coup even when majority of the Coup leaders are from Delta state. Why are Afonjas not blaming Delta state and South South for the Coup.

4 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by MayorofLagos(m): 7:32am On Jan 30, 2018
Rename Umuahia to Rumuahia.

Let omo Ibo understand how Ikwerre feels.

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by michae1004: 7:41am On Jan 30, 2018
I smell lies.
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by michae1004: 7:41am On Jan 30, 2018
MayorofLagos:
Rename Umuahia to Rumuahia.

Let omo Ibo understand how Ikwerre feels.
Is ilorin still under the control of fulani?

4 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Paretomaster(m): 8:00am On Jan 30, 2018
Lajet:

Afonja but the Coup leader is not an Igbo man his name is Chukwuma Nzogwu from Delta state . I thought that Afonjas said Igbo land starts and ends in South East. How come whenever the Coup issues arises Afonja will call it an Igbo coup even when majority of the Coup leaders are from Delta state. Why are Afonjas not blaming Delta state and South South for the Coup.

Mr, their is no Delta state as at the time of the war, and Nzeogwu represented the Igbo at that time. What about Ifeajuna?

Why are Igbos jubilating , and releasing album to celebrate the success of the coup.. .? Gerraheremehn

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Lajet: 5:43pm On Jan 30, 2018
Paretomaster:

Mr, their is no Delta state as at the time of the war, and Nzeogwu represented the Igbo at that time. What about Ifeajuna?

Why are Igbos jubilating , and releasing album to celebrate the success of the coup.. .? Gerraheremehn

How did Nzeogwu Represented Igbo at that time ? You mean to say that Delta North are Igbo people before the war but now Afonjas have created another Ethnicity group for them is that so ? Present Delta state was in Mid West Region before the war not in Eastern Region. So how come That Afonjas and their masters up north are not blaming Delta and South south for the coup instead putting the blame on Igbo people.

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 2:02pm On May 09, 2020
MXrep:
what is the different between Umu and Rumu?? can't these ignorant afonja OP see that Rumu is just a dialect just as Umu is the standardized version as Abagworo said?? Its just like writing Nwachukwu as Wachukwu, does that change anything, don't you know that other igbo clans in the SE pronouce it as Wachukwu but write in standardized version as Nwachukwu??
What I am learning us that Umu is a corruption of the Yoruba word Omo.

This means a lot of places in the SE actually belong to the Yoruba

Omoahia the Abia state capital needs to be renamed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Vs FG: Barrister Ejiofor Arrives ECOWAS Court In Mali (Photos) / Nigerians In New York Protest Against Sowore's Rearrest By DSS (Photos) / Heading Towards Arab Spring?: Senators Attacked!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.