Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,455 members, 7,836,806 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why (20649 Views)

They Were Pocketing N4.2b Yearly. Maina Drops Names From Hiding / Abiola Wrote The Names Of Ministers For Abacha - Olutayo Soyode / Prophecy That Changed The Life Of Yemi Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by trapQ: 1:47pm On Oct 02, 2016
Buhahah..you're right. I was told it was the ikoku traders that led the then Biafra protests in PH.
Henry240:

There is no IPOB or Biafra in Rivers state. Traders at Ikoku Spare parts market do not constitute even 0.0001% of the Rivers state population.
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by trapQ: 1:54pm On Oct 02, 2016
Lol.... So what if there are 3 major ethnic groups in Nigeria? Of what use is being majority if the minority feeds them? Being majority has never helped any nation. Lmao
herbie27:
I don't to be to know that.
I reside with them, and even when you put the question of their origin they just have no answer.
Who said they have a language?.
And btw we have 3 major ethnic groups in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Abagworo(m): 2:15pm On Oct 02, 2016
trapQ:
Buhahah..you're right. I was told it was the ikoku traders that led the then Biafra protests in PH.

You are wrong. A lot of people in OBALGA, Etche, Omuma and Oyigbo are IPOB. I am not an IPOB supporter but I deal directly with villagers in these 3 LGAs.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 02, 2016
Abagworo:

You are wrong. A lot of people in OBALGA, Etche, Omuma and Oyigbo are IPOB. I am not an IPOB supporter but I deal directly with villagers in these 3 LGAs.
Lier.

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by SlayerSupreme: 2:19pm On Oct 02, 2016
Udmaster:
nicely put.
What can ikwerre 4 local govts offer NDIGBO? NOTHING.
I have not heard abt ikwerre billionaire b4 neither have I heard abt an Ikwerre giant Entrepreneur.
Is it in terms of Intellectuals or Personalities?what exactly.
Ikwerres should stop bearing Igbo names and speaking Igbo dialects to end this confusion.
Those people don't have anything o. That's my own. But honestly,most people in SE hardly know Ikwerre. Only in Imo they're relatively known.

7 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Udmaster(m): 2:22pm On Oct 02, 2016
SlayerSupreme:

Those people don't have anything o. That's my own. But honestly,most people in SE hardly know Ikwerre. Only in Imo they're relatively known.
it is on nairaland that I first heard of ikwerre. Many in the South East don't know them.
Who sabi ikwerre? NL and Igbophobic stupidity made them a bit popular .
They have nothing to offer.

10 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by SlayerSupreme: 2:24pm On Oct 02, 2016
[s]
AjiereTuwo:

Lol, unlike you i am not tribalistic person, Rivers people are one, whoever rules is of no concern to an outsider like you, after all its an Ijaw woman (patience ibifaka Jonathan) that gave Wike the political power, so focus on your red mud governors and states
[/s]
Kai. That comment really struck a nerve. Endure.
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by SlayerSupreme: 2:28pm On Oct 02, 2016
[s]
AjiereTuwo:

Are you talking abt those your 2nd hand women, who run away from there villages because of the amount of children they have outside wedlock to come and form single ladies in ph?
[/s]
Weak man. Weak shot.

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by SlayerSupreme: 2:29pm On Oct 02, 2016
Udmaster:
oh really? Those Igbo paralympics who smashed gold recently must be 419rs? Olodo
ijaw illiterate. Lazy drunkards.
No wonder GEJ avoided answering ijaw name. because people may see him as a lazy illiterate.
Lmao!
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by iyke649(m): 2:33pm On Oct 02, 2016
Abagworo:

It's not oil but ethnic interest. Ikwerre and Igbo are at least 90% the same but the 10% difference needs to be conserved for future generations lest Igbo assimilates everything as a much larger group. You can compare this with Urhobo vs Isoko.
My man, this guys are 100% igbos who migrated to the shores of Rivers State for greener pastures a long time ago. A lot of them are descendant of IMO, Abia and Anambra. It may interest u to know that Dia is a local government in IMO state called Nkwerre. Even Etche and Ndoki have Dia bearing in Abia state. Geographical location has a way of twisting ones intonation . This is why Dia intonation is a little bit different from the general Igbo, same goes for Nsukka, Afikpo, Ngwa , Ohafia, Okposi etc. D major and only reason for the denial of their heritage is Oyel.

7 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Kingsley1000(m): 2:34pm On Oct 02, 2016
Henry240:

Yes, a lot did, if not most.
i never knew ,my dad told me it was only yoruba people that connived to fight igbos and biafran 1st capital was assigned to be in ph

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Pidggin(f): 2:37pm On Oct 02, 2016
mightyhazell:
and y don't dey use it in dia speech. I have lots of ikweree friends,u cat tell dey are from ss unless they tell u demselves. They interact with fluent imo like igbo language. I never heard dem say tins like rumunwoke or rumuchukwu in place of umunwoke or umuchukwu!

Dat R prefix sounds so out of place,..evn dumb

You must be an English man since you speak and write English. Now you can travel to UK without visa since speaking English has made you a British national

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Kingsley1000(m): 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2016
Udmaster:
if you go to Enugu, dnt be suprised that 70% of them have not heard abt ikwerres.
Tell ikwerres to stop bearing Igbo names and speaking Igbo dialect for this confusion to END.
I can't name my future son "Olamide" because I am not yoruba, y will the ikwerres be naming and bearing Igbo names and speaking Igbo dialect?
The confusion is from them.
the perplexity i have is that if you deny igbo,stop naming and speaking the language....most f them now speaks pidgin and refined igbo same thing with delta igbo

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by mightyhazell: 2:49pm On Oct 02, 2016
Pidggin:

You must be an English man since you speak and write English. Now you can travel to UK without visa since speaking English has made you a British national
calm down bird!

Wot u trying 2 say?

5 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by trapQ: 3:23pm On Oct 02, 2016
Most Americans think Africa is a country too.
And ikwerre has a lot to offer. Everyone knows that.
Udmaster:
it is on nairaland that I first heard of ikwerre. Many in the South East don't know them.
Who sabi ikwerre? NL and Igbophobic stupidity made them a bit popular .
They have nothing to offer.

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by sarutobie(m): 3:35pm On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Yes, he actually said in one of his songs "i am an Ijaw youth wey know say Ikwerre be one love,
ikwerre is now ijaw?? just when you think you've heard it all!

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 02, 2016
sarutobie:

ikwerre is now ijaw?? just when you think you've heard it all!
I never claimed them, we are not landgrabbers like Igbos,

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Brooklynsouth(f): 4:02pm On Oct 02, 2016
omonnakoda:
http://247ureports.com/beyond-chimamanda-and-the-rumu-umu-controversyby-okachikwu-dibia/

Let me educate Chimamanda that Ikwerre names were first changed by the Igbos when the latter colonized the former under the Eastern Regional Government. During this time, Ikwerre was under total social, economic and political control of the Igbo, hence it was extremely difficult then to challenge the changing of Ikwerre names by the Igbo. Who was Ikwerre to challenge Igbo maximum leadership actions in Ikwerreland? We know the indignities suffered by late Chief E. J. A. Oriji in the Eastern House of Assembly and indeed in the hands of the Eastern Region government by insisting that Ikwerre is not Igbo.

Another means through which Igbo names came into existence in Ikwerre was via other interactions between the Ikwerre and the Igbo. But note that these interactions were initially with mutual respect but later became one between a stronger culture (Igbo) and a weaker culture (Ikwerre) within a new rampaging political regime that favoured the Igbo culture aimed at becoming an absolute dominant culture in the region. For example there were names like Port Azikiwe (Igbo name) for Port Harcourt; Igirita (Igbo name) for Igwuruta; Amaweke (Igbo name) for Rumuokwuta; Obinna (Igbo name) for Ovundah; Onyemaechi (Igbo name) for Yelemaekhile etc. Take note that the non-Igbo names were there before they were changed by the Igbo into Igbo names. Natuarally, the Ikwerre did not like the changing of such names; but Ikwerre could not challenge these local colonizers.

Also recall that during the Eastern Regional Government, Igbo language was the second official language used to teach in schools throughout the region, to worship in churches and used in offices. Some Ikwerre who dared to use Ikwerre language in the church for example were punished by the Igbo who were in charge of the churches in the first place (see page 145 in my book titled: The Challenge of Ikwerre Development in Nigeria 2011).

It was in these circumstances that, especially after the creation of Rivers State, Ikwerre people got relieved and encouraged enough to change some of the Igbo-imposed names back to their original Ikwerre names. It was this second change of names that Chimamanda and indeed most Igbos see as Ikwerre’s effort at denying being Igbo. That is not true! The real reason for the second change of names was to return the names to their true and authentic Ikwerre names.
am very. Sure that your book did not sell more than 25 copies so these lies are what you heap in your book and expect it to make headway continUe with your deceit we know where it ll end btw the 25 of your books that were Sold were purchase by your family members and sympathisers the rest no one ll buy them

9 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 02, 2016
Omonnakado, you are not igbo or ikwerre why this obsession? What is your business in the matter.?
There are lots of current issues in this country worthy of discussion this issue is not relevant and does not concern you.
Truth is, some ikwerre see themselves as Igbos while some don't. Current ohaneze chairman in rivers state is ikwerre.

8 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by sarutobie(m): 4:17pm On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

I never claimed them, we are not landgrabbers like Igbos,
whatever, I refused to be drawn into your perennial mischievousness...been there, done that..
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Brooklynsouth(f): 4:27pm On Oct 02, 2016
Udmaster:
you are just blabbing.
U guys are naturally lazy.
those namea re their second names and only recognise their ancestral names so what are the ancestral names. Of ikwere

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Brooklynsouth(f): 4:41pm On Oct 02, 2016
Ojiofor:
Eastern region came into existence in 1954 and people like Elechi Amadi was born in 1934 that is 20 years before Eastern region was extablished and he was named Elechi which is obviously Igbo name by his father whose fathers name was Amadi.
Again,who forced Elechi Amadi ancestors to name their children Igbo names way before Europeans set foot in Eastern region!
my Brother you get sense that omonnokoda or whatever is useless who gave elechi amadi the Name when eastern domineering started 1954 as a man he ll avoid it but insult u

7 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Tallesty1(m): 5:31pm On Oct 02, 2016
Pidggin:

That's a weak point dear.

The white colonized us that's why we speak their language but there's no historical record to prove that igbos colonized the ikweres.

I am not interested in the argument but I just want to you that this your point is so out of place.

11 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Abagworo(m): 6:34pm On Oct 02, 2016
iyke649:
My man, this guys are 100% igbos who migrated to the shores of Rivers State for greener pastures a long time ago. A lot of them are descendant of IMO, Abia and Anambra. It may interest u to know that Dia is a local government in IMO state called Nkwerre. Even Etche and Ndoki have Dia bearing in Abia state. Geographical location has a way of twisting ones intonation . This is why Dia intonation is a little bit different from the general Igbo, same goes for Nsukka, Afikpo, Ngwa , Ohafia, Okposi etc. D major and only reason for the denial of their heritage is Oyel.

It is true that a lot of later migrants are from Owerri/Etche area but they never took on the Igbo identity per se. More importantly the 1st settlers aren't proven to be of Igbo descent. I believe strongly in 1st settlers being of Cross River origin migrating Southwards with Aros. It has nothing to do with "oyel" .
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:19pm On Oct 02, 2016
Somehow these clowns found a way to bring Ijaw nation into the picture.

Anyway, whether Ikwerre RULE Rivers state till 3050, Tonye and Rivers peopl aren't bothered because... WE ARE ONE RIVERS!

5 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Ojiofor: 7:41pm On Oct 02, 2016
Brooklynsouth:
my Brother you get sense that omonnokoda or whatever is useless who gave elechi amadi the Name when eastern domineering started 1954 as a man he ll avoid it but insult u

Dont mind that boy from far away yorroba land who is poking his nose in what he knows nothing about.
Whether Ikwerres are Igbo or not should not be his headache.

6 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Sydney22: 7:56pm On Oct 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Somehow these clowns found a way to bring Ijaw nation into the picture.

Anyway, whether Ikwerre RULE Rivers state till 3050, Tonye and Rivers peopl aren't bothered because... WE ARE ONE RIVERS!

ONE RIVERS AS IN ONE NIGERIA ?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by here: 8:14pm On Oct 02, 2016
They can accuse us till eternity,my brothers will never accept who we are not.
How is your problem the name of a people,either you accuse them of becoming a state just so they are not part of your "yeye" struggle in which no development has proved why you wanted succession or you accuse them of taking your houses or changing their names.One thing has been clear,show us a document atleast just one to show Umu and it will help alot but like always nothing rather than online articles that could have been written by anyone.
We wouldn't blame you,land grabbing is a trait.How come they don't go for Epeye people too since they are small,no they are like the Ogonis they want Afam atleast there are oil wells and power plant.Then we ask,how can you justify people's origin by their size? Do you know the Oyigbo Bini people of Ondo or the Asa river of Kwara state, that the Oyigbo people of Rivers who are Asa do not lay claims? That the only claim this clan has us a small town in Abia who was said to have left Rivers and settled in Abia and for the lack of records there can never be marriage between them. This same Oyigbo Asa has 14 villages and 1 is from Rumoula.
The people of Rivers state whether riverine or upland have their cultures and history is clear as can be proved from generation to generation and no blackmail can make a people lose their true self.
Show us there the people from Ikwerre migrated from the East if there is.How come you all run home during census, why dnt those originally from Rivers also return home from East?
Finally consider Kalabari and Ijaw,both have oil but each still maintains their salient cultures that differentiate them and a Degema man cannot because he is from Riverine assume an identity of the larger ethnic group just because you want him to.

NB: Dnt mind me, angered by the hypocrisy that accompanies this subject anytime it comes up.
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by ezeagu(m): 8:19pm On Oct 02, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Lol, ijaws marry lots of women especially igbo women because of cheap bride price, heck u can even get dem on credit, go and try and marry an Ibani or Kalabari girl and see the value of real women

AjiereTuwo, I asked you to swear that there are no Igbo women in your lineage and that Rivers men are not all mothered by Ijoised Igbo women, or is it true that they are? AjiereTuwo, if Ijaw people marry Igbo women because they are cheap what are you saying about the average Ijaw family? AjiereTuwo, if you've acknowledged that Ijaw men shi na mgbe gboo na horo umunwanyi Igbo di ka ji mmanu, ha tuwa kwa i jiri onu nke ha ji sukpu na otu nwanyi Igbo i kparikwa ndi Igbo who are then these phantom women raising Ibani or Kalabri women?

8 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by sirade(m): 9:12pm On Oct 02, 2016
Pidggin:

you have a low intelligent quocient.

England colonised Nigeria includind Igbos, that is why Igbos speak English and have English names.

now, why should Ikwerres speak Igbo and bear Igbo names like chibuike amaechi, nyesom wike, omeihe, odili, amadi, dike etc., did Igbos colonise them ?

For the topic, Ikwerres should drop Igbo names and langauge if they are serious in denying Igbo, they should stop forcing Igboness on themselves by creating unnecessary thread.

who Ikwerre help

8 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by coccoduck: 9:18pm On Oct 02, 2016
keyboard warriors everywhere.
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by excanny: 9:40pm On Oct 02, 2016
One has to be mentally retarrded to say Ikwerre is not an Igbo dialect. Same goes for Ukwuani and the likes. I thought this issue has been concluded with the 1805 map someone posted here.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Revealed: Why Ambode Sacked Commissioners - Vanguard / We Won’t Enforce Sit-At-Home Again – IPOB / Army Searches For Soldier Kidnapped In Abia; Arms, INEC Materials Recovered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.