Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why (20641 Views)

They Were Pocketing N4.2b Yearly. Maina Drops Names From Hiding / Abiola Wrote The Names Of Ministers For Abacha - Olutayo Soyode / Prophecy That Changed The Life Of Yemi Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 2:04pm On May 09, 2020
MayorofLagos:
Rename Umuahia to Rumuahia.

Let omo Ibo understand how Ikwerre feels.

It should be called Omoahia
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 2:20pm On May 09, 2020
There are some lies that won't go away.

The Ikwerre bible was published before the Biafra war.
It is online

https://ebible.org/ikwNT/JHN08.htm
It is FULL OF THE WORD RUMU

33 Be sarụ Jizọsi, “A bụ rụmu Ebereham, a bụ́kolele ọhi n'aka badnụ ọbula. Ndaa kpa ị naakaa nụ a jeenwernu ẹhni aị?”
34 Jizọsi sarụ be, “Me kanụ anụ ezi ọka, nye ọbula ke neeme mmehie bụ ọhi ke mmehie. 35 Ọhi zá naadazịgidne n'ọro tim tọm, kọvu nnwọ nwe ọro ọkwnukokwnu. 36 Ọ bụru nụ Nnwọ jeeme anụ nwernu ẹhni anụ, anụ jeenwernu ẹhni anụ n'ezi. 37 M magwụ m nụ anụ bụ rụmu Ebereham, kọvu anụ noopio o gbu m, kwnornu nụ anụ kwége ikwu-ọnu m. 38 M naakanụ anụ nhne Nda m gesiri m, kọvu anụ neeme nhne nda anụ kannụ anụ.”
39 Be sarụ a, “Ebereham bụ nda aị.”
Jizọsi kanụ be, “Ọ bụru nụ Ebereham bụ nda anụ n'ezi, anụ jọornu ẹrnu Ebereham rnụrnu. 40 Nhne me mernu bụ ọ kanụ anụ ezi ọka me nụrnu n'ọnu Chiokike, anụ noopio o gbu m. Ebereham méne kpam. 41 Anụ neeme nhne anụ nda anụ mernu.”
Be kaa, “Chiokike bụ Nda a nwernu kpọi. A bụ́o rụmu ọyi.”
Rụmu ke Ekwensu
42 Jizọsi kanụ be, “Ọ bụru nụ Chiokike bụ Nda anụ n'ezi, anụ znernu ọwhnu m n'anya, kwnornu nụ m hi m hne Chiokike zị whụya, va hna. M váge m nụ rikne aka ke m, kọvu ya ziyaru m. 43 Nhne mernu anụ ghọ́yage nhne me nookwu, ọ bụ nụ anụ bnóge nsnị n'ikwu-ọnu m. 44 Anụ bụ rụmu nda anụ Ekwensu, anụ jọornu ẹrnu nda anụ noopio. Ọ bụ nye noogbu badnụ hite n'ọpanizo. Ọ zị́la n'ezi ọka, kwnornu nụ ezi ọka zá nụ rime a. Omen'ẹli a bụ ọ gha aghalaghala, kwnornu nụ o bụ nye aghalaghala nụ nda kpakara aghalaghala. 45 Me nookwunu anụ ezi ọka, kọvu anụ zá neekweru m. 46 Nyele n'esilawụru anụ jaama m ikpe mmehie? Ọ bụru nụ me kanụ anụ ezi ọka, kịni mernu anụ kwége m? 47 Nye ọbula bụ ke Chiokike joobno nsnị ikwu-ọnu Chiokike. Kọvu anụ jóobno nsnị kwnornu nụ anụ bụ́o ele ke Chiokike.”
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 2:59pm On May 09, 2020
Jizọsi gọziri rụmu takịri
(Mat 19:13-15; Mak 10:13-16)
15 Agwna ele badnụ nookwuyanu Jizọsi rụmu takịri be ma ọ kpatụ be aka. Nga ele sno apna a whnụrnu be, be bnanụ be mbna. 16 Kọvu Jizọsi sukwuru rụmu takịri vakwnusi a, kaa, “Anụ gharụ rụmu takịri ma be vakwnusi m, anụ bnósni be, kwnornu nụ ẹli-eze Chiokike bụ ke ele nụ kpa. 17 Me kanụ anụ ezi ọka, nye ọbula ke jéegweru ẹli-eze Chiokike lele nnwọ matị, ọ jáabna nụ rime a rịa rịa.”
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 3:05pm On May 09, 2020
https://ebible.org/ikwNT/MAT23.htm
37 “Chei! Jerusẹlem, Jerusẹlem, jị ke noogbu ele ọwhnurninya, ke ji akaworugwu nọolo ele be ziyannu ị. Mgba ele kpa me pioru ọ chịkota rụmu ị lele kpa enwerne ọchichi nẹechikota rụmu a nụ mkpururu aka nkwu a lawụru, kọvu i kwéle. 38 Le, be naaghasanụ anụ ọro anụ ma ọ tọbiri etekne. 39 Kwnornu nụ ka, me kanụ, hite kịtna, anụ jọ́owhnu m berere dụ nga anụ jaakaa, ‘Chiokike gọzi nye wam ke naava nụ rẹwhna Nyenwe aị.’ ”
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by Melezenawii: 3:12pm On May 09, 2020
HopeAtHand:

Tell the origin of the Igbos.. and may i remind you that there are over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria and they all deserve to be regarded and accorded respect no matter how large or little their individual population are.

There is something about Igbos and their ITK tendencies. You people are very nosy and do not concern yourselves to things that directly concern you. Also, People who lived in the former eastern region can attest to Igbo overbearing posture on other smaller erhnicities and it is still very evident till today.

Only in the dreams of Igbos will be Ikwerre be Igbo.
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by joeyfire(m): 4:02pm On May 09, 2020
omonnakoda:
http://247ureports.com/beyond-chimamanda-and-the-rumu-umu-controversyby-okachikwu-dibia/

Also recall that during the Eastern Regional Government, Igbo language was the second official language used to teach in schools throughout the region, to worship in churches and used in offices. Some Ikwerre who dared to use Ikwerre language in the church for example were punished by the Igbo who were in charge of the churches in the first place (see page 145 in my book titled: The Challenge of Ikwerre Development in Nigeria 2011).

This unknown writer makes a ludicrous point and then cites his pamphlet as a reference grin if the man wants to sell more copies he for talk. Arrant nonsense. Na the kind awada keri keri wey dey give our south west brothers joy as they maintain their grip on the Niger Delta oil companies and marginalise the indigenes grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 4:06pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

This unknown writer makes a ludicrous point and then cites his pamphlet as a reference grin if the man wants to sell more copies he for talk. Arrant nonsense. Na the kind awada keri keri wey dey give our south west brothers joy as they maintain their grip on the Niger Delta oil companies and marginalise the indigenes grin grin

Actually what you have posted buttresses his argument.

Can you dispute the repeated occurrence of RUMU in the Ikwerre bible?

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 4:08pm On May 09, 2020
Did Ikwerre use Rumu in their bible to spite Ibos?
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by joeyfire(m): 4:13pm On May 09, 2020
omonnakoda:

Actually what you have posted buttresses his argument.

Can you dispute the repeated occurrence of RUMU in the Ikwerre bible?

Translate what you posted so we can understand the meaning and context

2 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 4:17pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

Translate what you posted so we can understand the meaning and context

Cheap

I don't have to do anything

The English bible is online
The Ikwerre bible is online https://ebible.org/ikwNT/
The igbo bible us too
So just compare verse for verse

Simples
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by joeyfire(m): 4:21pm On May 09, 2020
omonnakoda:

Cheap

I don't gave to do anything

The English bible is online
The Ikwerre bible is online https://ebible.org/ikwNT/
The igbo bible us too
So just compare verse for verse

Simples

But you "gave" the energy to post an unfounded hack piece as evidence grin grin grin I guessed as much

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 4:24pm On May 09, 2020
JOHN 8.33

33 Be sarụ Jizọsi, “A bụ rụmu Ebereham, a bụ́kolele ọhi n'aka badnụ ọbula. Ndaa kpa ị naakaa nụ a jeenwernu ẹhni aị?”
34 Jizọsi sarụ be, “Me kanụ anụ ezi ọka, nye ọbula ke neeme mmehie bụ ọhi ke mmehie. 35 Ọhi zá naadazịgidne n'ọro tim tọm, kọvu nnwọ nwe ọro ọkwnukokwnu. 36 Ọ bụru nụ Nnwọ jeeme anụ nwernu ẹhni anụ, anụ jeenwernu ẹhni anụ n'ezi. 37 M magwụ m nụ anụ bụ rụmu Ebereham, kọvu anụ noopio o gbu m, kwnornu nụ anụ kwége ikwu-ọnu m. 38 M naakanụ anụ nhne Nda m gesiri m, kọvu anụ neeme nhne nda anụ kannụ anụ.”
39 Be sarụ a, “Ebereham bụ nda aị.”
Jizọsi kanụ be, “Ọ bụru nụ Ebereham bụ nda anụ n'ezi, anụ jọornu ẹrnu Ebereham rnụrnu. 40 Nhne me mernu bụ ọ kanụ anụ ezi ọka me nụrnu n'ọnu Chiokike, anụ noopio o gbu m. Ebereham méne kpam. 41 Anụ neeme nhne anụ nda anụ mernu.”
Be kaa, “Chiokike bụ Nda a nwernu kpọi. A bụ́o rụmu ọyi.”
Rụmu ke Ekwensu
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 4:29pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

But you "gave" the energy to post an unfounded hack piece as evidence grin grin grin I guessed as much
Not unfounded

https://ebible.org/ikwNT/
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 4:30pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

Next thing you will say I wrote the IKWERRE BIBLE

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by joeyfire(m): 4:38pm On May 09, 2020
omonnakoda:

Next thing you will say I wrote the IKWERRE BIBLE

Ok

Before independence this was the name of where this training school was located. As far as I know the Willinks Commission (I could be wrong though) did not report this forced name change that south west people are so desperate to prove for reasons best known to you

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 4:43pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

Ok

Before independence this was the name of where this flowstation was located. As far as I know the Willinks Commission (I could be wrong though) did not report this forced name change that south west people are so desperate to prove for reasons best known to you

It is not a flow station. I know the area
That is located at the Industrial Area next to Rumuomasi. Today it is called Rumubiakani

The Ikwerre people are claiming Igbos renamed their towns and villages

That place has been renamed to Rumubiakani for more than 40 years.

Like EVERY OTHER UMU.

So what exactly is the point you are making with that picture

Was this on the Agenda of Willinks Commission?

Is mentioning Willinks relevant here or a failed attempt to sound like you are knowledgeable

Did Willinks consider the use of IBO in place of IGBO?

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 4:46pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

Ok

Before independence this was the name of where this training school was located. As far as I know the Willinks Commission (I could be wrong though) did not report this forced name change that south west people are so desperate to prove for reasons best known to you
Speak to the claim that the Ikwerre use Rumu in their bible.

Was Ikwerre bible written after the civil war?
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 4:49pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

Ok

Before Independence Igbo was written as Ibo or Eboe .

Even Achebe used Ibo in Things Fall Apart
So what?

Today you all insist on Igbo claiming someone made a mistake somewhere

Why can't Ikwerres correct mistakes that they dislike?
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by joeyfire(m): 4:57pm On May 09, 2020
omonnakoda:

It is not a flow station. I know the area
That is located at the Industrial Area next to Rumuomasi. Today it is called Rumubiakani

The Ikwerre people are claiming Igbos renamed their towns and villages

That place gas been renamed to Rumubiakani for more than 40 years.

Like EVERY OTHER UMU.

So what exactly is the point you are making with that picture

Was this on the Agenda of Willinks Commission?

Is mentioning Willinks relevant here or a failed attempt to sound like you are knowledgeable

Ikwerres who want some clout and yorubas like yourself are the ones whipping this dead horse. So Willinks Commission knowledge is a big deal to you? Let me help you. If you don't know the Willinks Commission was set up to examine minorities and their concern about domination...so yes this would have been on the agenda if it was an issue of substance BEFORE the civil war caused people to deny their heritage to survive

4 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 5:03pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

Ikwerres who want some clout and yorubas like yourself are the ones whipping this dead horse. So Willinks Commission knowledge is a big deal to you? Let me help you. If you don't know the Willinks Commission was set up to examine minorities and their concern about domination...so yes this would have been on the agenda if it was an issue of substance BEFORE the civil war caused people to deny their heritage to survive
Stop ridiculing yourself.
This issue has nothing to do with Willinks
I have been talking about Willinks for years on Nairaland

omonnakoda:
Well I am not an Ikwerre person and so I am not in a position to educate you. What is important is what the Ikwerre people say they are. I have interacted with many of them and they appear to have some similarities with Ibos but then all Ghanaians appear s imilar to Nigerian observers and there is such a thing as a "Nigerian" accent.Many Nigerian appear same to outsiders but there are significant differences nevertheless. Even among the Ibos there are many groups that only engage in farming/fishing or office work and have little aptitude for travelling or trading but people lump them all as one. Many of these groups never even knew of each other's existence before Nigeria not to talk of intermarrying and such like.
Like I said before Egyptian,Tunisians,Moroccans and so on all speak Arabic and are Muslims but ethnically they are not Arabs ,they know this and the Arabs know this. many of them belong to the group know as Berbers some of whom we saw begging in Nigeria in the 80s and 90s.

Language is not what makes a people but their own self narrative and Ikwerres had been asserting that they are not Igbos LONG BEFORE Biafra as many like to pretend.
In fact there was a hearing "WILLINKS COMMISSION" 1957 before independence in 1960 where this same matter came up so it is dishonest to pretend it was merely a consequence of the Civil war.There are other Igbo groups in Rivers state e.g Etche and Oyigbo why have they not gone down the same path?
Ultimately these are questions for them and for the Ikwerre people who assert they are not Igbo

I am the one to educate YOU about Willinks.

It is irrelevant here
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 5:05pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

Speak about the fact tha the word Rumu is what is found in the Ikwerre bible NOT UMU

The Ikwerre position which also led to the Ikwerre bible was a protest against internal Ibo colonisation
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 5:08pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

One thing that did happen at Willinks in 1957 was Ikwerre said they are NOT IBO
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by joeyfire(m): 5:12pm On May 09, 2020
omonnakoda:

Speak about the fact tha the word Rumu is what is found in the Ikwerre bible NOT UMU

The Ikwerre position which also led to the Ikwerre bible was a protest against internal Ibo colonisation

You don't even know the meaning of the passages you posted bearing Rumu and you want to debate it tongue

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by joeyfire(m): 5:24pm On May 09, 2020
omonnakoda:

One thing that did happen at Willinks in 1957 was Ikwerre said they are NOT IBO

Did Ikwerres tell the Willinks Commission that the names of all towns in their land were renamed? Stay on topic please

1 Like

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 5:28pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

Did Ikwerres tell the Willinks Commission that the names of all towns in their land were renamed? Stay on topic please
They did not tell the Commission whether they use chewing sticks or toothpaste.

Once again why do we see Rumu and not umu in the Ikwerre Bible
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 5:29pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

You don't even know the meaning of the passages you posted bearing Rumu and you want to debate it tongue

The English version is there for everyone to see Rumu is used to mean descendants or children of.

Are you disputing this?
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by joeyfire(m): 5:33pm On May 09, 2020
omonnakoda:

Stop ridiculing yourself.
This issue has nothing to do with Willinks
I have been talking about Willinks for years on Nairaland

I am the one to educate YOU about Willinks.

It is irrelevant here

How can a minority ethnic group's alleged marginalisation be irrelevant to the Commission created for them bikonu shocked Educate me no be do or die matter. Did the Ikwerres complain of renaming of their communities at the Willinks Commission? That's the aim of this your thread abi? Where is the proof? I like to learn new stuff

2 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 5:36pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

ENGLISH

33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”

IKWERRE

I
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 5:38pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

How can a minority ethnic group's alleged marginalisation be irrelevant to the Commission created for them bikonu shocked Educate me no be do or die matter. Did the Ikwerres complain of renaming of their communities at the Willinks Commission? That's the aim of this your thread abi? Where is the proof? I like to learn new stuff
Create a thread for Willinks if you want to learn.

This thread is about RUMUIZATION AND DEUMUIZATION
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by joeyfire(m): 5:51pm On May 09, 2020
omonnakoda:
Create a thread for Willinks if you want to learn.

This thread is about RUMUIZATION AND DEUMUIZATION

In summary...you have no proof that Igbos changed the names asides from an Ikwerre unknown clout chaser's article written to help promote his book. After claiming to be a professor of the willinks commission and knowing that the Ikwerre's petitioned the commission, you scurried away from showing what the Ikwerres told the commission when asked to prove it wink

This myth is played out

3 Likes

Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 5:53pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

In summary...you have no proof that Igbos changed the names asides from an Ikwerre unknown clout chaser's article written to help promote his book. After claiming to be a professor of the willinks commission and knowing that the Ikwerre's petitioned the commission, you scurried away from showing what the Ikwerres told the commission when asked to prove it grin

This myth is played out
The key issue is not whether Ibos changed the name but that Ikwerre have changed the names to what they want them to be for over 40 years.
Why are Ibos so bitter about it?
Re: PORT HARCOURT: Who Changed The Names From Umu To Rumu And Why by omonnakoda: 6:03pm On May 09, 2020
joeyfire:

In summary...you have no proof that Igbos changed the names asides from an Ikwerre unknown clout chaser's article written to help promote his book. After claiming to be a professor of the willinks commission and knowing that the Ikwerre's petitioned the commission, you scurried away from showing what the Ikwerres told the commission when asked to prove it wink

This myth is played out
Yes or no
At the Willinks Commission in 1957 did Ikwerre choose to be identified as Ikwerre and NOT as Ibos

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

APC Crisis Deepens / Buhari Plans Special Courts For Corruption / Presidency Reacts To Fake Portfolio Assigned To Ministers-Designate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.