Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,069 members, 7,953,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:16 PM

Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. (41555 Views)

Nigerian Mother In U.S Navy And Her Son Reunite After 7 Months In Sea (Photos) / Wedding Of 42-Year-Old Folasade Dairo, A Nigerian Mother Of 4 In USA / Interesting Ways To Please A Nigerian Mother In Law. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by iRepNaija1: 8:16pm On Oct 05, 2016
Talk2Bella:

It's in our genetic code grin especially if he's an only son or only child, I de pity my brother babes dem de hear weeen anytime my mother sets eyes on them cheesy

Have a seat. This is not something to be proud of.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by sweetcocoa(f): 8:28pm On Oct 05, 2016
Ugosample:

Yea
you have made good points, but I still stand on my opinion.
You cannot tell me with all authority that this problem is as rampant in these countries than in SSA and SEA, the cultural issue makes the DIL be at a disadvantage position in these regions

Okay look at it from this angle...

A MIL is more likely to instigate the family to push out the DIL to the streets in Africa, as opposed to Europe/America.
I have seen this with my eyes

A MIL is more likely to be a live in person in Africa than in the other clime

A MIL is more likely to suggest, and Even bring a second wife to the matrimonial home than in the other clime.

To cut the long story short, the MIL has more advantage here than in other climes.
She could be more brazen in her attempt to frustrate the DIL here than elsewhere

I hope you see my point?
That's not the topic here, except you are saying this 'advantage' automatically makes every(for emphasis) Nigerian MILs prejudiced against their DILs.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Ugosample(m): 8:36pm On Oct 05, 2016
sweetcocoa:
That's not the topic here, except you are saying this 'advantage' automatically makes every(for emphasis) Nigerian MILs prejudiced against their DILs.

You still don't get my point.
Worldwide, women find it difficult to get along with each other, and there are often frequent disagreements between many MILs and their DILs.
I was just bringing in a dimension into this discourse, the extent this disagreements can degenerate to, as opposed to other climes.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 05, 2016
sweetcocoa:
I don't even know what you are talking about, you live in a society where women contribute nothing? Please where's that?
Hahaha...
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by sweetcocoa(f): 8:57pm On Oct 05, 2016
Ugosample:

You still don't get my point.
Worldwide, women find it difficult to get along with each other, and there are often frequent disagreements between many MILs and their DILs.
I was just bringing in a dimension into this discourse, the extent this disagreements can degenerate to, as opposed to other climes.
There was no need for that, as that dimension is a different topic altogether.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by fabulousdora(f): 9:17pm On Oct 05, 2016
Not all my ex's mother is an awesome woman
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Lumig: 9:21pm On Oct 05, 2016
raumdeuter:
The OP is really naive

ABove is a picture of an American movie about Mother in law probllems, In the OP opinion they probably learnt it from Nigerians

The question you should be asking is why women always have problems with themselves. Why dont we hear of husband vs fatherinlaw problems

The mother inlaws they are complaining about today also complained about their own mother inlaws like 30yrs ago, In another 30yrs another set of wifes would be complaining about this same set of women who are complaining abut their mother inlaws
In fact this is brilliant, you have said it all, women can't stand one another irrespective of the age. It's a cycle that can't be broken. Wish women are like men in reasoning/perspective. Just pity the guys that would be brought into unnecessary issues

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Jerryojozy(m): 9:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
sweetcocoa:
Why can't he do dishes, is he not a human being who eats with dishes? Even if he doesn't use dishes sef, can't he be of help in the house?
I'm not saying he shouldnt help in the house they should be limit. Mind he is not ur houseboy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Lumig: 9:51pm On Oct 05, 2016
I suspect more than 70%of ladies that have commented already on this topic would be mean Mils. Even the OP.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Barigaboy(m): 9:57pm On Oct 05, 2016
Benita27:
I noticed 80% of our Nigerian mother in-laws threat their daughter in-laws badly unlike their foreign counterparts, and this trend is so common,once a man says he wants to take you to see his parents instead of excitement a certain fear creeps in.
personally i'm not scared of meeting the man's father because i assume father's trust their sons to have made the right choices, but for the mothers is not usually the same, was able to ask someone if she felt same and she confessed feeling worse. grin
Why are our Nigerian mother in-laws so mean?.
Need your contributions, and Ladies how do you feel when getting to meet them?.

Cc: Aderola15.
Talk2Bella.
IamNawty.
Laveda.
I love this post and I have answers to your question. There are many reasons for those attitude.
1. We all no that women jealous each other
2. Some of our mothers feels that this lady would be controlling us.
3. They also feel that d money u r to give to them u will be spending it on d lady.
4. When she looks good, they feel is your money she lavishing.
5. When u r broke they feel she has suck u dry.
6.Finally, they don't want any lady to treat us d way they treated our father.

Solution
1. Dont praise your woman in her presence make she nuh think say u don eat vegetable.
2. Let them know that she comes from a rich background.
3. Don't ever tell them about any money transaction between u n your wife.
4 Don't ever report your wife to her.
5. Don't give her money in d presence of your mom n Don't give your mom money in her presence
7. Don't keep your mom n your wife together for too long dem go soon fight.
8. Don't be bringing your family matter into any discussion.
9. Put a long distance between dem I mean don't let dem see regularly dem no go disrespect each other.
10. Don't bring your mom to your house. If u do u r giving her opportunity to see how your wife operate which she will never like.
11. Are u aware that even your father get tolerance na him make am dey with your mama n him no wetin your mama fit do n will always tell your mama say "please leave them let them leave them n let them live their lives. She will say mo ti gbo ko si wahala. She will not beable to sleep that night. Thank God she finally sleep and started dreaming that your wife stab u in d dream. D following morning she is at your place not answering your wife greetings n telling u to drink water from a pastor n also give u small thing to dey tie for your waist Lol. Na wao

To all ladies
Some of u always pray for your fiancee mother to be dead n your arrival. Same d fiancee of your younger brother would wish your mom.
Note: all mothers are not dsame n if they r dsame. Atleast if she didn't bring up your fiancee up in d right way how would u fall in love with him. If u r d 1 wud u watch a woman to ruin d child u brought up for 30 something years? Access yourself tolerance is d key. If u can tolerate her then u can tolerate anybody in d world n u r a good wife. No matter how bad your mother inlaw shows heartred to u she knows u r a gud wife becos u can tolerate her n your husband will be proud of u. Later she wud learn to love u becos u loved her.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by INFOTECH2: 10:08pm On Oct 05, 2016
Benita27:
I noticed 80% of our Nigerian mother in-laws threat their daughter in-laws badly unlike their foreign counterparts, and this trend is so common,once a man says he wants to take you to see his parents instead of excitement a certain fear creeps in.
personally i'm not scared of meeting the man's father because i assume father's trust their sons to have made the right choices, but for the mothers is not usually the same, was able to ask someone if she felt same and she confessed feeling worse. grin

Talk2Bella.
IamNawty.
Laveda.

I am not sure if u have a research project survey that backs up your 80% claim.

Secondly, I tell ladies that if they wish for the death of their mother in laws, may they not have sons or may they also pass on before their sons gets married.

It's heartless to think mother are just harsh for the sake of it. Though they must know their limits, they should not be wished away.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by delpee(f): 10:11pm On Oct 05, 2016
Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes it's all about attitude. If you pray to have a good daughter in-law and plan to be a good mother in-law then you should strive to be good to your MIL. Never go into marriage with a biased view. Many MILs are demonised before they're introduced based mostly on generalisation. Why not reflect on your future and imagine someone telling you to get lost after many years of love and labor on your child? That's not to say it's right for a mother to be overbearing in the life of a grown child.

Me? Never had problems with my MIL. Mutual respect is key.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by lolaluv1(f): 10:52pm On Oct 05, 2016
lekanojo01:
80% of ladies presently, are not submissive. I believe that's what has been causing problems. They've forgotten that when a lady got married, she starts a new family. Her husband family is her new family. She will start learning new things nd dropping some things from her home. Every mother loves their son. Ladies should know too that they will soon become mother-in-law. Then what I'm saying will make some sense.
What did the Bible ask of the man before asking submission from the woman? Love your wife as Christ loves the church. In essence, you should be able to give your life for her. What percent of men adhere to this?

A marriage is the coming together of two people from different backgrounds. They should go with what works FOR THEM. Not "this is how my father did it". Same way every mother loves her son, is the same way a wife has parents who love and suffered for her.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by NobleG1(m): 1:03am On Oct 06, 2016
Benita27:

Talk2Bella.
IamNawty.
Laveda.

Because mothers know the games women can play to get a man. So they're always protective of their sons.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by NobleG1(m): 1:03am On Oct 06, 2016
Benita27:

Talk2Bella.
IamNawty.
Laveda.

Because mothers know the games women can play to get married. So they're always protective of their sons.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by solexybadoo: 2:19am On Oct 06, 2016
JUSTbuchi:
Finally it did make front page cheesy

My aunt always gives praise to God that her mother in-law is no longer alive grin grin

Y'all disturbing ma mentions tho cheesy cheesy angry angry
bullsht...how would u feel if someone gives praise cause your mother is dead...
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by vivacutie: 6:55am On Oct 06, 2016
I wonder o

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by veave(f): 6:58am On Oct 06, 2016
We just got a wife recently and i must confess, some ladies do not know how to behave. I actually learnt alot. And I'll try not to make same mistakes she made. Thank God mumcy is a proper child. of God, else. Hmmmmm.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 06, 2016
solexybadoo:
bullsht...how would I feel if someone gives praise cause my mother is dead...
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by clems88(m): 7:32am On Oct 06, 2016
If you wanna know more about mother in laws, ask suzanna( mama gee ) grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by hope4life: 8:01am On Oct 06, 2016
Talk2Bella:
When it gets to our turn that's how it will be, good intentions are overly overrated we will think we're doing it in his best interest before you know daughter inlaw go just de plan us grin

my mother is different.She loves my wife and accord her honour and treats her as her daughter.When I give my Mum money, she will call my wife to thank her.We are deep christian family and I present my wife to my family in good light.It depends on the husband.If your mother is the one controlling you, your wife might be in trouble. Some mothers-in-law do so out of fear of rivalry that the woman will control the man against them.Allow your husband attend to his mother and family and dont give the woman any reason of panic or insecurity
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Kanyekels(m): 8:33am On Oct 06, 2016
Benita27:
Wow!. grin Your mum is the kind we are praying for.
Endeavor to be like his wife too.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by flakeStar: 8:42am On Oct 06, 2016
Maybe daughters in law should learn to behave better! What you sow is what you reap....

I have been married for 13yrs and I make bold to say my mother in law ROCKS!! I agree maintaining our relationship takes work but any relationship worth keeping does
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by bukatyne(f): 9:20am On Oct 06, 2016
Acidosis:

bone of my bone smiley

LMAO!

Your kids the bone of my kids maybe? grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 06, 2016
Say na wetin happen, make dem show ur mama pepper she go hide jor.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 06, 2016
Forget all this motherinlaw showing themselves if them see real kasala dem go hide. Any wife way dull himself na sabi.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Acidosis(m): 10:01am On Oct 06, 2016
bukatyne:

LMAO!
Your kids the bone of my kids maybe? grin
grin grin
No kids from my side yet
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 06, 2016
cococandy:

All these comments make me sick. Like there's some kind of incestous connection between a woman and her son.

Eww
Incestuous?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by olagift(f): 12:58pm On Oct 06, 2016
In my own opinion, i think it is all encompassing ie as we have mean MIL, we also have mean DIL, SIL and FIL. There are some factors that can make a woman to be mean MIL. 1) Personality issue ie she is mean irrespective of whether she is a MIL or not. There is nothing you can do with them other than to accept and love them the way they are because it is only God that can change them. They will even frustrate your goodwill and good character towards them. 2) Some women that are either single parent or widows, that have struggle to raise their children up singlehandedly and also have a strong bond for them. This does not apply to all of them, but you know it is not easy for one to labour and another person reaping the fruit alone or sharing with them. For this set of people, what you need to do is to show them love and be good and kind to them. Also prove to them that you married their son in order to add value to them and not to be a burden. That you did not come to take away the fruit of their labour, but rather you came to sustain it. 3) Some women have a very close relationship with their children, infact they love them more than their husbands, so this one can make them to see their DIL as a rival. 4) Some women are completely dependent all their days in life, so this type will be afraid that they won't be able to get the 100% care again. They became insecured and ended up being unnecessarily mean. 5) Some became mean as a result of their mean and wicked DIL, as a result of law of action and reaction. This type will bring out the terror in them just to show their mean DIL that she does not have the monopoly of wickedness. Above all no one is perfect. Tolerance is the solution here for both sides. Nevertheless, we have a lot of sweet, wonderful and friendly MIL out there. The question is will you be the sweet or the mean MIL during your own time?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Tellemall: 2:19pm On Oct 06, 2016
raumdeuter:

For you to think this is a Nigerian problem you must be either naive or unexposed

Horribly unexposed.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by sekem: 2:53pm On Oct 06, 2016
Menzy86:
Wit d quality of DIL's these days contaminated by a warped sense of gender equality, why won't MIL's b in constant battle wit them? E.g MOST 9ja babes these days think it is 'modern' or 'acceptable' not to know how to cook. Or to rule out d possibility of preparing a particular dish even if its ur husband's favourite and expect it to be ok by everyone.

Na lie. Stop forging abeg. Since my entire life eh, I neva see girl, I mean naija girl wey dey proud say she no sabi cook.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 06, 2016
Barigaboy:

I love this post and I have answers to your question. There are many reasons for those attitude.
1. We all no that women jealous each other
2. Some of our mothers feels that this lady would be controlling us.
3. They also feel that d money u r to give to them u will be spending it on d lady.
4. When she looks good, they feel is your money she lavishing.
5. When u r broke they feel she has suck u dry.
6.Finally, they don't want any lady to treat us d way they treated our father.

Solution
1. Dont praise your woman in her presence make she nuh think say u don eat vegetable.
2. Let them know that she comes from a rich background.
3. Don't ever tell them about any money transaction between u n your wife.
4 Don't ever report your wife to her.
5. Don't give her money in d presence of your mom n Don't give your mom money in her presence
7. Don't keep your mom n your wife together for too long dem go soon fight.
8. Don't be bringing your family matter into any discussion.
9. Put a long distance between dem I mean don't let dem see regularly dem no go disrespect each other.
10. Don't bring your mom to your house. If u do u r giving her opportunity to see how your wife operate which she will never like.
11. Are u aware that even your father get tolerance na him make am dey with your mama n him no wetin your mama fit do n will always tell your mama say "please leave them let them leave them n let them live their lives. She will say mo ti gbo ko si wahala. She will not beable to sleep that night. Thank God she finally sleep and started dreaming that your wife stab u in d dream. D following morning she is at your place not answering your wife greetings n telling u to drink water from a pastor n also give u small thing to dey tie for your waist Lol. Na wao

To all ladies
Some of u always pray for your fiancee mother to be dead n your arrival. Same d fiancee of your younger brother would wish your mom.
Note: all mothers are not dsame n if they r dsame. Atleast if she didn't bring up your fiancee up in d right way how would u fall in love with him. If u r d 1 wud u watch a woman to ruin d child u brought up for 30 something years? Access yourself tolerance is d key. If u can tolerate her then u can tolerate anybody in d world n u r a good wife. No matter how bad your mother inlaw shows heartred to u she knows u r a gud wife becos u can tolerate her n your husband will be proud of u. Later she wud learn to love u becos u loved her.
Very insightful. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Some Sweet USUALS Every Wife Is Supposed To Be Giving To Her Husband! / U.k-based Nigerian Man Plaits Wife's Hair To Save £200 Cost (Photos) / Man Sues In-laws For Giving Him Already Pregnant Daughter In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.