Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,572 members, 7,816,406 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? (42556 Views)

No Ethnic Group Can Beat The Fulani, The largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Bello / How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano / Anambra, 4th Largest State GDP In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Bekwarra(m): 8:45pm On Oct 09, 2016
Right from primary school when we were small children we've been taught and it has become a part of our subconscious that there are 3 major ethnic groups in Nigeria- Hausa-Fulani, Igbo and Yoruba. This is a common knowledge among most Nigerians young or old. These 3 ethnic groups are spread across more than one region for example Hausa-Fulani can be found in the Northeast, Northwest and the North-central, the Igbos can be found in the Southeast and South-south while the Yorubas can be found in the Southwest, South-south and the North-central.
However apart from these 3 major ethnic groups, there are over 200 other ethnic groups in Nigeria. Some in their millions while some others are just a few thousands. One knowledge that has always seem elusive is that of the 4th largest ethnic group in the country. Consequently, my academic readings online and in hard copies as well as news items have thrust before me the possibility of 4 candidates; Ijaw, Urhobo, Tiv and Itsekiri. I don't really know the population strength of these ethnic groups because different media and academic reports have mentioned them as being the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.
This is the major reason for bringing this question here to gain more knowledge. Which ethnic group is the 4th largest in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Ugomba(m): 9:00pm On Oct 09, 2016
@OP. There are NO Yorubas in South South. Kanuri are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria.

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by emerged01(m): 9:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
No 4th ethnic group joor. South south dey under south east except things don change because e don tey wey I leave school

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by khadaffi(m): 9:07pm On Oct 09, 2016
Bekwarra:
Right from primary school when we were small children we've been taught and it has become a part of our subconscious that there are 3 major ethnic groups in Nigeria- Hausa-Fulani, Igbo and Yoruba. This is a common knowledge among most Nigerians young or old. These 3 ethnic groups are spread across more than one region for example Hausa-Fulani can be found in the Northeast, Northwest and the North-central, the Igbos can be found in the Southeast and South-south while the Yorubas can be found in the Southwest, South-south and the North-central.
However apart from these 3 major ethnic groups, there are over 200 other ethnic groups in Nigeria. Some in their millions while some others are just a few thousands. One knowledge that has always seem elusive is that of the 4th largest ethnic group in the country. Consequently, my academic readings online and in hard copies as well as news items have thrust before me the possibility of 4 candidates; Ijaw, Urhobo, Tiv and Itsekiri. I don't really know the population strength of these ethnic groups because different media and academic reports have mentioned them as being the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.
This is the major reason for bringing this question here to gain more knowledge. Which ethnic group is the 4th largest in Nigeria.

Go back and study the history of Nigeria properly. This time without missing any detail. You will find the fourth largest ethnic group

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 9:15pm On Oct 09, 2016
It's between Tivs and Ijaws...
But I think it's Ijaws

21 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by otokx(m): 9:20pm On Oct 09, 2016
The Ijaws

15 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Bekwarra(m): 9:21pm On Oct 09, 2016
Ugomba:
@OP. There are NO Yorubas in South South. Kanuri are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria.
There are Yorubas in Edo and Delta states. Go figure.

106 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by topsyking: 9:22pm On Oct 09, 2016
1. yoruba
2.hausa
3.niger delta
4.IBO

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Bekwarra(m): 9:23pm On Oct 09, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
It's between Tivs and Ijaws...

But I think it's Ijaws

So I thought until a couple of days back when I was listening to a news report on AIT where the reporter made mention of Tiv as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria with a strong presence in Benue, Taraba, Nassarawa and Plateau states.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by WhoRUDeceiving: 9:26pm On Oct 09, 2016
Bekwarra:

Who told you there are over 200 ethnic groups? Was it Gowon or Queen Eliza? We like to take what we are given and run away with it without critical thinking.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Bekwarra(m): 9:27pm On Oct 09, 2016
topsyking:
1. yoruba 2.hausa 3.niger delta 4.IBO
Baba what's doing you now. Is Niger delta a tribe?

125 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by mulattoclaroo(m): 9:27pm On Oct 09, 2016
Op for your info they're no igbos in SS. The fourth largest ethnic group should be either Ijaw, Kanuri, Fulani or Bini.

8 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by afroniger: 9:27pm On Oct 09, 2016
Ugomba:
@OP. There are NO Yorubas in South South.

You never hear of Olukumi people in Delta State??

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Bekwarra(m): 9:31pm On Oct 09, 2016
WhoRUDeceiving:

Who told you there are over 200 ethnic groups? Was it Gowon or Queen Eliza? We like to take what we are given and run away with it without critical thinking.
Why don't you counter it with facts? Should I just take your words as fact? For example in Cross River state you have Yala, Ogoja, Obudu, Boki, Bekwarra, Ikom, Obubra etc. Different people spread across the state. Even in some local governments the people speak different languages. So you either argue with facts or you keep your opinion to yourself.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Ugomba(m): 9:33pm On Oct 09, 2016
mulattoclaroo:
Op for your info they're no igbos in SS. The fourth largest ethnic group should be either Ijaw, Kanuri, Fulani or Bini.
i remember this moniker. Hahahaha. U neva change.

28 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Ugomba(m): 9:38pm On Oct 09, 2016
afroniger:

You never hear of Olukumi people in Delta State??
is that an indication of yorubas in SS?
Am an aniocha Delta N indigene, I know Olukumis.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by mulattoclaroo(m): 9:38pm On Oct 09, 2016
Ugomba:
i remember this moniker. Hahahaha. U neva change.
just saying the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Ugomba(m): 9:42pm On Oct 09, 2016
otokx:
The Ijaws
Ijaws are NOT The 4th largest tribe.
they are not up to 7million.
Its Tiv or Kanuri

27 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by afroniger: 9:45pm On Oct 09, 2016
Ugomba:
is that an indication of yorubas in SS?
Am an aniocha Delta N indigene, I know Olukumis.

That's a dumb question. Is Delta state no longer in the SS?? Everyone knows Olukumis have Yoruba origins.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by mulattoclaroo(m): 9:47pm On Oct 09, 2016
Ugomba:
ur mu.mu neva cease. Fake mula.tto.
you and yeye talk

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Ugomba(m): 9:47pm On Oct 09, 2016
afroniger:

That's a dumb question. Is Delta state no longer in the SS?? Everyone knows Olukumis have Yoruba origins.
stop getting emotional.
There are NO yorubas in south south.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by afroniger: 9:49pm On Oct 09, 2016
Ugomba:
stop getting emotional.
There are NO yorubas in south south.

Ok o.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Bekwarra(m): 9:50pm On Oct 09, 2016
mulattoclaroo:
What happened to the Igbos in Rivers and Delta states? I even heard there are some in Edo state.

36 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Ugomba(m): 9:51pm On Oct 09, 2016
afroniger:

Ok o.
how can a tiny olukumi people who are deeply absorbed mean that yorubas are now in SS.
Even the olukumi have some benin root in them.

14 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Branzy(m): 9:52pm On Oct 09, 2016
urhobos

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Ugomba(m): 9:52pm On Oct 09, 2016
Bekwarra:

What happened to the Igbos in Rivers and Delta states? I even heard there are some in Edo state.
don't mind the troll. He is an old clown on nairaland.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Ugomba(m): 9:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
Branzy:
urhobos
which urhobo?hahahaha
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:04pm On Oct 09, 2016
Bekwarra:

So I thought until a couple of days back when I was listening to a news report on AIT where the reporter made mention of Tiv as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria with a strong presence in Benue, Taraba, Nassarawa and Plateau states.

Sincerely both of them might be equal.. well a proper census might determine the real figure
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by riddler4real(m): 10:04pm On Oct 09, 2016
Ugomba:
@OP. There are NO Yorubas in South South.
Kanuri are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria.

They are some yoruba affiliate ethnic groups in Edo state for your information. They are called akoko edo.... they bare yoruba names and also some communities before okada township that are of yoruba kinship I can't remember the name but I have met with them. So don't allow ignorance blind you my dear.

The yoruba race is the largest in Nigeria.... that extends from the south to the north. No other tribe have such expense....

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by guass(m): 10:11pm On Oct 09, 2016
Urhobo is fourth largest

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Photo Of A Nigerian Soldier Dancing At His Wedding / Nigerians React To Aisha Buhari’s Comment On President’s Health / Dino Melaye Mocks Adams Oshiomhole: ''Osho Baba Fit Decamp Ooooo"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.