Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano (26978 Views)

Throwback: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano / How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano / Anambra, 4th Largest State GDP In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Blue3k(m): 1:45pm On Jul 29, 2017
…Says state had an average ambition before his coming

BY CHARLES KUMOLU

ANAMBRA State governor, Chief Willie Obiano has said that without the determination of his team, the state would not have become Nigeria’s fourth largest economy, noting that he inherited a state with an average ambition.

He also stated that through strategic refocusing, the state had been positioned as one with the greatest chances of producing the most surprising development results in the next five years.

Obiano, who said this in Lagos at a breakfast meeting entitled: Investment Promotion and Protection: The Anambra State Experience, Challenges, and Opportunities, said that coming up with an antidote to crime ensured that he achieved results in Anambra.

The forum was an opportunity for the governor, who was represented by his deputy, Dr. Nkem Okonkwo to present his score card in key areas of governance.

His words: “In the past three years and four months that I have served my people as governor, nothing has given as much joy as talking about Anambra. My fascination with Anambra does not come from the fact that I am the governor of that great state.

No! My interest in Anambra comes from my belief that Anambra represents Nigeria’s biggest hope at the moment. Indeed, I have absolutely no doubt that any objective assessment of all the 36 states of the federation would put Anambra as the state that has the greatest chances of producing the most surprising development results in the next five years. This is not a rhetorical statement. Our fundamentals point in that direction.

“When I assumed office with my Team on March 17, 2014, we inherited a relatively stable state. We took over a state with an impressive network of roads and good fundamentals in education and health care but we also inherited a state that had no landmark infrastructure and no clear-cut strategic vision for the future. And perhaps more importantly, we met a state that was heavily traumatized by violent armed robbery, kidnapping, child-trafficking and growing cases of drug-related crimes.

I came prepared

‘’This crime-ridden scenario discouraged investments and successfully cut off the state from the grid of modern development. Ladies and gentlemen, my Team and I inherited a state with an average ambition but through a strategic re-focusing and a commitment to excellence, we have repositioned Anambra among Nigeria’s leading states today!

“I came prepared. I assumed office with clearly defined vision and mission. I said that my vision is to make Anambra State the first choice investment destination and a hub for industrialization and commercial activities. Similarly, I also declared that my mission is to make Anambra State a socially stable, business friendly environment that would attract both indigenes and foreigners to seek wealth-creating opportunities.

“We also came with an economic blueprint known as the four pillars of development which seek to accelerate Anambra’s economic advancement through Agriculture, Industrialization, Trade and Commerce and Oil and Gas. Armed with a clear vision and mission and a realistic economic blueprint we had our job cut out for us.

Immediate antidote to crime

“While we worked on our vision and mission and fine-tuned our Economic Blueprint, we knew that our strategy would be dead on arrival if we didn’t have an immediate antidote to crime and criminality in Anambra State. We had closely studied the stimulus and response patterns of the investment community and discovered that investors are discouraged to invest in places where there is no guarantee of safety for life and property.

We knew that our goal to make Anambra State the first choice investment destination by building a socially stable and business friendly environment that would attract investors from across the world would remain a pipe-dream if we failed to lay a solid foundation in security. So, we hosted a landmark Security Summit which was facilitated by Moshe Keinen, a renowned Israeli security expert. This summit gave us a clear blueprint on security. We started implementing it immediately; setting up Operation Kpochapu, a Joint Task Force that is made up of the Police, the Army, the Navy and the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA.

We also erected security tents on locations that used to be flashpoints for violent crimes, donated a gunboat to the Navy to protect our waterways and launch occasional surveillance helicopter patrols into our skies. With this arrangement, we succeeded in erecting a clockwork 360 degrees security architecture that ensures the safety our beloved state in the skies, in the waters, and on the land. With that arrangement too, Anambra became Nigeria’s safest state.

Leading destination for investments

“The Anambra State Investment Promotion and Protection Agency (ANSIPPA) is the institutional catalyst of Anambra’s growing reputation as the leading destination for investments in Nigeria. ANSIPPA is an agency that is fully staffed with thorough and vastly experienced professionals with a collective wealth of experience that any visionary manager would envy. On the Board of ANSIPPA are first class bankers, investment analysts, lawyers and thoroughbred professionals who find immense pleasure in nursing investment dreams to reality.

This agency is charged with the mandate of attracting investments and fast-tracking the process of investing in Anambra State. I am delighted to state here that ANSIPPA has fulfilled the basic ideology that gave birth to it. In essence, if ANSIPPA had failed in its mandate and betrayed its promise, I would not be standing here today to address this great gathering.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/made-anambra-nigerias-4th-largest-economy-gov-obiano/

13 Likes

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Blue3k(m): 1:47pm On Jul 29, 2017
Listened to this whole article twice and wonder why they never mention the GDP. NBS should come out yearly and tell us the GDP of each state.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Jetleeee: 1:48pm On Jul 29, 2017
Anambra is 4th largest economy? How?

Where are your figures? These clowns go dey pull out bullshit from their yansh anyhow

Same Anambra that didn't release IGR figures.

If Obingo don shayo like this, the guy go just dey talk nonsense

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by nextprince: 1:52pm On Jul 29, 2017
SE of course it should be the fourth.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by ODVanguard: 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2017
Jetleeee:

Where are your figures? These ones go dey pull out bullshit from their yansh anyhow

Guy, as is typical with these folks, they are 'claiming' it, even without facts and figures to back it up. They are so big that they didn't generate any IGR last year. cheesy

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Jetleeee: 2:05pm On Jul 29, 2017
ODVanguard:

Guy, as is typical with these folks, they are 'claiming' it, even without facts and figures to back it up. They are so big that they didn't generate any IGR last year. cheesy

There was one time the guy was signing MOUs anyhow. I used to rate him then. Until that IGR report exposed his hairy ass

Ashey skama ni Bobo yẹn grin cheesy But mahn...his online propaganda squad are doing one hell of a job

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Blue3k(m): 2:05pm On Jul 29, 2017
His claim on being forth largest economy comes from CBN source that even said they don't have reliable data. This claim of being fourth largest economy seems more like a meme than anything.

Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cbn.gov.ng/OUT/SPEECHES/2006/GOVADD1-6-06.PDF&ved=0ahUKEwjM7Y7a1a7VAhVi4oMKHWFZBZoQFghPMA0&usg=AFQjCNE0TPVFvTqIcG7tOQf9odxX94z8Kg

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by NCP: 2:06pm On Jul 29, 2017
Anambra is High on Oga govnors High.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by ODVanguard: 2:15pm On Jul 29, 2017
Jetleeee:

There was one time the guy was signing MOUs anyhow. I used to rate him then. Until that IGR report exposed his hairy ass

Ashey skama ni Bobo yẹn grin cheesy But mahn...his online propaganda squad are doing one hell of a job

Enu o se. The governor failed to tell us what sectors of the economy of the state justify his claim, and by how much when compared to other states. Is it mining? Is it the rice or ugu production and exports? Or Oil and Gas? Real estate sector? Industry? No concrete commensurate data to justify this phantom claim. Sounds more like an empty chest-beating exercise.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Oladimejyy(m): 2:19pm On Jul 29, 2017
See the original photo of the state

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by omofunaab(m): 2:32pm On Jul 29, 2017
Blue3k:
His claim on bring forth largest economy comes from CBN source that even said they don't have reliable data. This claim to be fourth largest economy seems more like a meme than anything.

Anambra Election is around the corner.. The governor needs all these false claims to deceive the gullible electorates

20 Likes

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 29, 2017
"Anambra State governor, Chief Willie Obiano has said that without the determination of his team, the state would not have become Nigeria’s fourth largest economy, noting that he inherited a state with an average ambition."

- Peter Obi sef embarassed embarassed

4 Likes

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by sunnyb0b0(m): 2:35pm On Jul 29, 2017
Jetleeee:

Where are your figures? These clowns go dey pull out bullshit from their yansh anyhow

These are the statistics

86 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Jetleeee: 2:36pm On Jul 29, 2017
sunnyb0b0:

These are the statistics

Boyo, I never asked for your family picture. What do I need it for?

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Blue3k(m): 2:41pm On Jul 29, 2017
Lol this thread will likely descend into meme battle. Can anyone supply the report from anywhere that back his assertion. It couldn't be proven last time on a thread discussing it.

https://www.nairaland.com/3819308/anambra-4th-largest-state-gdp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by ruggedized1: 2:49pm On Jul 29, 2017
Why are some people getting worked-up over the truth stated by the technocratic governor Obiano? If you feel that what the governor said is false then list the states that have bigger and better economies than Anambra.

Anambra is now a greener pasture, more and more investors are migrating to Anambra as the first choice investment destination as shown in the picture below.

I think the governor means in this order:

Lagos

Rivers

Abuja

Anambra

Delta

Ogun

This should be a near perfect list but if you have a better list then put it down for us to see.

Anambra has taken commercial farming to another level. See the confirmation from the former vice president Atiku Abubakar. Anambra has been raking in foreign exchange into the state through commercial export of agricultural produce to Europe.

“I just told you that I was recently in the U.K. One of the things I learned on that visit is that Britain is very pleased with the increase in vegetable imports from Nigeria especially pumpkin leaves.You in the Southeast call it ụgụ. One state, Anambra, has decided to take her share of the $35.4 billion Africa spends importing food and is now exporting ụgụ to other nations including the U.K.

“Some oil producing states are owing workers’ salary, Anambra is not owing. A number of oil producing states took the Federal Government bailout, Anambra did not take it. Anambra state is proof that restructuring is good for our states and will not bankrupt them.

“If Anambra, a state that suffers from soil erosion and has a very high population density, can export £5 million worth of pumpkin leaves to foreign nations, 1 million tubers of yam to Europe and millions of dollars-worth of scent leaves, locally known as nchụanwụ, then much larger states like Kano, Borno, Kaduna, Kwara, Ogun and Rivers should be able to do even more

“The time has come to say the truth. Whilst it might be inconvenient for our elite who are the ones profiting from the oil rent economy and the feeding bottle of our current deformed federalism, I believe we need to speak the truth. And the truth is this: our national wealth is being drained by a select few instead of building a country for all of us. It has to end. We need to return resources and power back to the local level, and from the elite to the people. Only by restructuring can we guarantee Unity, Equity and Security for our nation.”

https://www.naij.com/amp/1116305-only-by-restructuring-guarantee-unity-equity-security-nation-atiku.html

16 Likes

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Ritchiee: 2:52pm On Jul 29, 2017
Blue3k:
Lol this thread will likely descend into meme battle. Can anyone supply the report from anywhere that back his assertion. It couldn't be proven last time on a thread discussing it.

https://www.nairaland.com/3819308/anambra-4th-largest-state-gdp

Why the attack.Maybe they have statistics to back the claim...who knows?

A whole governor cannot lie.
Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Blue3k(m): 3:00pm On Jul 29, 2017
Ritchiee:

They have secret stats on GDP but don't have IGR stats to supply. OK that makes sense and I agree Nigerian governors cant say misleading statements before election time. That would be absurd.

23 Likes

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Ritchiee: 3:04pm On Jul 29, 2017
ruggedized1:
Why are some people getting worked-up over the truth stated by the governor? If you feel that what the governor said is false then list the states that have bigger and better economy than Anambra.

I think the governor means in this order:

Lagos

Rivers

Ogun

Anambra

This should be a near perfect list but if you have a better list then put it down for us to see.

This is one thing I do not always support.Is there any stat from NBS,UNO,UNDP or where did the assertion come from?I hope not from what you think with that lineup up there.I have heard severally that Igbos are industrious until this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3918290/yorubas-most-industriousrichest-educated-tribe
proved that they did not even have 1/4 of the industries the Yorubas have excluding the FDI.Let us use facts for once.People are beginning to call Igbos ASS-FACTS instead of HARD-FACTS.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by LoveDecay(m): 3:08pm On Jul 29, 2017
Ritchiee:

Fact is Anambra had no IGR in 2016. It cannot be the fourth prosperous state.

13 Likes

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by totit: 3:10pm On Jul 29, 2017
Blue3k:

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/made-anambra-nigerias-4th-largest-economy-gov-obiano/

Front Page: lalasticlala Mynd44

But seriously, it's so sad that a whole gov of a state can boldly open his mouth in the pub and declare his state Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano) without any sense of responsibility to back up his claim.

What's wrong with this country for goodness sake shocked shocked

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by bsideboii(m): 4:37pm On Jul 29, 2017
Good job from the technocrat.This is one if the reason we need less of politicians and more of statesmen at the helm of affairs.

4 Likes

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Naijaguy12345(m): 4:38pm On Jul 29, 2017
For ya dream

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Kingluqman89(m): 4:38pm On Jul 29, 2017
You try na..
Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Edu3Again: 4:38pm On Jul 29, 2017

16 Likes

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 29, 2017
Blue3k:
Listened to this whole article twice and wonder why they never mention the GDP. NBS should come out yearly and tell us the GDP of each state.
True talk, I was expecting him to tell us the state's Gross Domestic product.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 29, 2017
Obiano's government and their useless advertisement! They are good at noisemaking. Nothing tangible on ground. I blame Peter Obi for this.

5 Likes

Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by mynd20: 4:44pm On Jul 29, 2017
Re: How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 29, 2017
Blue3k:

GDP doesnt tell the full story. USA has a higher GDP than China but their debts is in the trillions of dollars and they still borrow from China.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Saraki Mobilises Islamic Clerics In Saudi Arabia / Beroro Efekoro Elected As Albany County Legislator In New York / Umahi: "I Was Forced To Borrow N5bn To Fund PDP Campaign"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.