Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,854 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? (42567 Views)

No Ethnic Group Can Beat The Fulani, The largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Bello / How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano / Anambra, 4th Largest State GDP In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Holyvet(m): 5:08pm On Oct 10, 2016
The only thing is that there're some parts of URHOBO language that has resemblance or origin of yoruba, but that doesn't mean we call ourselves yorubas, we're URHOBOS, and DELTAN,
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Caseless: 5:16pm On Oct 10, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
It's between Tivs and Ijaws...

But I think it's Ijaws

igala is 4th! Ijaw is just 1 million people.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 5:43pm On Oct 10, 2016
NovusHomo:

"Hausa-Fulani" is the myth (scam) that has been sold to make us believe that "they" are the largest ethnic group in Nigeria. If that is true, then various combinations are possible. Example is Yoruba-Edo.

Hausa fulani identity is not actually a myth. They have somehow become one in most parts of the north (northwest). Milliions of fulanis have been hausanized because they settled in hausa land. And both tribes have over intermarried and cannot be differentiated in many places.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Bekwarra(m): 5:53pm On Oct 10, 2016
Caseless:
igala is 4th! Ijaw is just 1 million people.
Igala kwanu? Baba e rora now.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by tommynico(m): 6:20pm On Oct 10, 2016
I agree wt the poster above me. Yorubas are the second largest tribe followed by the igbos.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by mandarin: 6:35pm On Oct 10, 2016
There are alot of mysterious figures around Nigeria and the issue of population will remain a myth for a long while until a coherent actual census with no political undertone can be conducted.

Lets start with the myth of mainly Muslim north in many western media; its one of those lies that make many non muslins in the north feel they do not exist. Apart from mainly Northwest with Muslim dominance states like Kaduna, plateau, Gombe, Adamawa, Nasarawa, Niger, are mixtures of Christians, Muslims, Atheists etc. States like Benue, Taraba are majority Christians and Atheists. So, the issue of religion is number one myth in Nigeria.I do not want to brand any figure but you may be interested in knowing that over 55% of Nigerians are Christians.

Another myth is ethnicity, the only war fought on Nigeria has its root in ethnicity and mineral resources. Ethnicity is the instrument of the colonialist, government and politicians often deployed when necessary to create an artificial cocoon around their feign image but which are actually meant to widen a non existence influence.
In Nigeria, there is no ethnic group called Hausa-Fulani. When a child is born, the child is named after the father with exception of some cultures that are matrilineal but the child is named thereby having an identity with that of the father( or mother) and cannot be recognized for both at the same time!
So the concept of Hausa-Fulani coined by the colonial power was a deceit. Now, if you treat Hausa and Fulani as separate ethnic groups, then you can now determine how many Hausa states do we have maybe Hausa majority states will be Zamfara, Kano, Katsina, Jigawa, Bauchi. Fulani dominated states will be Sokoto. States with Hausa and Fulani as one of the largest groups will be Kaduna, Kebbi and Bauchi.
Fulani as part of the groups will include Gombe and Adamawa.The case of Adamawa where Fulani is one of the largest groups is just about 4%of the population.

If that is well separated, then,we can just independently examine what the population looks like.
I just want to chip in this, I think the Yoruba will be the largest then the Hausa, Igbo, Kanuri, Efik groups, Ijaw groups, Tiv, Fulani in that order. The truth is, while people are bonding elsewhere Nigerians are segregating.

I think the way forward is to practice regionalism where major ethnic groups with ethnic kinsmen have large states and similar or understanding minorities can have their states too

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Werehkpe: 6:51pm On Oct 10, 2016
Ijaws are the 4th largest. They extend all along the coast from Bayelsa as far as Ondo.

There are over 360 ethnic groups although this figure is always disputed among sociologist and anthropologist.

U should try and read d book called "Ethnic Pluralism, Ethnicity and Ethnic Conflicts in Nigeria"

U can thank me afterwards
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 7:02pm On Oct 10, 2016
vodutive:

Like I said in one of my opening posts in this thread, if you go back far enough, everybody is an immigrant. Who is an American, who is an Australian? Like I said, the Olu of Warri said publicly at his coronation recently that he is a descendant of Oduduwa. "Olu" is a yoruba word, the only places where kings bear the title "olu" is yoruba land. It stands to reason that considering the proximity (like I said look at the map of Nigeria) it is not out of the ridiculous to see how there can be a connection.

The North is full of fulanis, nobody questions that they are Nigerians but if you read the history, Fulanis only started populating Northern Nigeria between 900 and 1900Ad, they weren't the original inhabitants of northern Nigeria.

Like I said everybody is an immigrant if you go far enough, what if I told you the queen of England is actually German not English?

Warri is nearer to Ondo than Ondo is to Ilorin. Depending on where you beleive the Yorubas originated from (same say Benin, some say Ile-ife) if Benin you could argue that

There are Yorubas in Togo and Benin republic and Ghana, The Ga tribe in Ghana I am told have Yoruba origins ( i was told by a Ghanaian friend I haven't verified) If they can get to Togo they can get to Delta
did olu of warri say they are yorubas?
For goodness sake the itshekiris have always maintained that they are related to yoruba and are often mistaken to be yoruba but they are not yoruba. Itshekiri origin is not even yoruba. It is more of benin. Olu of warri's statement makes no sense be cause its his opinion and that doesnt make them yoruba. There is a school of thought that says the Igalas share ancestry with Igbos. If tomorrow an igala king who share in that theory publicly says that Eri is their progeinator, will that make Igala Igbos overnight?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Werehkpe: 7:06pm On Oct 10, 2016
The Ijaws are the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. They extend all along the coast even as far as Okitipupa in Ondo State. They are over 10 million in population.

There are also about 367 ethnic groups in Nigeria. Try and read the book "Ethnic Pluralism, Ethnicity and Ethnic Conflicts in Nigeria"

You can thank me afterwards
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Caseless: 7:06pm On Oct 10, 2016
Bekwarra:

Igala kwanu? Baba e rora now.
check nau! They constitute 65% of kogi population. They're in the east and in the SS. They should be close to 3 million now, based on what I read .
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Caseless: 7:08pm On Oct 10, 2016
Armaggedon:
did olu of warri say they are yorubas?
For goodness sake the itshekiris have always maintained that they are related to yoruba and are often mistaken to be yoruba but they are not yoruba. Itshekiri origin is not even yoruba. It is more of benin. Olu of warri's statement makes no sense be cause its his opinion and that doesnt make them yoruba. There is a school of thought that says the Igalas share ancestry with Igbos. If tomorrow an igala king who share in that theory publicly says that Eri is their progeinator, will that make Igala Igbos overnight?
itsekiri, Yoruba are related. Is Benin kingdom not related to Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by riddler4real(m): 7:11pm On Oct 10, 2016
ritababe:

bros na wa to you oh, how you go just baptise us say we be Yoruba at once, there is God oh abeg we are not.

You are my dear. You cannot not change your heritage, your roots.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 7:23pm On Oct 10, 2016
Double post
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 7:23pm On Oct 10, 2016
Caseless:
the person i quoted implied that istshekiris are infact yorubas and not just related as you said. Until you share his opinion, quote me.

Btw efik /ibibio/annag were so related to Igbos they were called "kwa-Ibo" by the whites meaning semi-Igbo but Igbos dont make noise.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Chinachriss(m): 7:45pm On Oct 10, 2016
Let us tell ourselves the truth, the Ibibio/Annang/ Efik/Oron people comprise the fourth largest tribe. They are widely spread unlike the Ijaws, Tivs, etc. Their lands are thickly populated too. I am Igbo before someone comes for me.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 10, 2016
Caseless:

are you answering the guy? the man just wants to argue. Everybody knows Benin and Yoruba are related, some will argue and claim yorubas originated in Benin, and ife is an offshoot of Benin founded by one of the Benin princes while some will argue that Benin was founded by an Ife prince. What is not in dispute is that Benin and Ife hare linked. The trouble maker himself further states with his own words that Warri is related to Benin.....so what are we discussing? if a=b and b=c......

Language changes over time, Yoruba land today speaks more or less one uniform yoruba language. Just as we all speak English The truth is there are different dialects in yoruba land Ekiti is different from Yoruba Like I said if you listen to proper Ijebu dialect, you will swear they are not speaking yoruba, it sounds more like urhobo or itsekiri please go to Ijebu and ask some of the elders to speak to you in proper Ijebu dialect, while some of these old people are still around. it's like ijebus saying they aren't yoruba, it is clear that the only reason why Ijebus are still classified as yorubas is that they are still within the one contiguous block of yoruba land or else some people will be arguing that Ijebus are not Yorubas. Am I no longer a Nigerian because I go and settle London? Is Bill clinton no longer of Irish descent, is Obama no longer of Kenyan descent?

look at some Ijebu names like Tunwase and the former King' of Warris name Atuwase, They might be called different names and have there own unique classification, just like we have egba, ijebu, ekiti etc but only a fool can argue there isn't a historical ancestry between some tribes in Delta state and Yorubas.

Let me be clear, I am not calling them yorubas, it is for them to classify and call themselves what they want, all I am saying is that they share a common ancestry with the yorubas, particularly the Ijebus. Calling a itsekiri man a yoruba is like calling Bill Clinton an Irish man.

3 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by infoblaster: 8:35pm On Oct 10, 2016
Point of correction, Itsekiris of Delta State are yorubas, when you hear any Itsekiri speaker talks, you will be convinced

Ugomba:
@OP. There are NO Yorubas in South South.
Kanuri are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by nanauju(f): 9:27pm On Oct 10, 2016
topsyking:
1. yoruba
2.hausa
3.niger delta
4.IBO
Don't you understand the difference between tribe and region? Pls no fall hands for here o
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by 9japride(m): 9:32pm On Oct 10, 2016
topsyking:
1. yoruba
2.hausa
3.niger delta
4.IBO
[color=#006600][/color]

U r joking right? Anyways clap for urself u try
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by aoyih(m): 10:10pm On Oct 10, 2016
Without sentiment...it would interest you all that the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria is the TIV. They are present in Benue, Nasarawa, Taraba etc.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by richylee(m): 10:10pm On Oct 10, 2016
topsyking:
1. yoruba 2.hausa 3.niger delta 4.IBO
you crack me up. Damn funny.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 10:13pm On Oct 10, 2016
Bekwarra:

There are Yorubas in Edo and Delta states. Go figure.

Because they speak Yoruba fluently doesn't make them Yorubas.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by topsyking: 10:36pm On Oct 10, 2016
richylee:
you crack me up. Damn funny.
really.. but its true grin
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Delonn(m): 11:36pm On Oct 10, 2016
Saint52:

You need a brain transplant.
Just like your father does. And don't forget to ask your mother for infant certificate.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Delonn(m): 11:55pm On Oct 10, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:
It is extremely embarrasing that someone can say Urhobo or Ijaw are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria.
Where did the person put Kanuris, Tivs and Nupes?
Urhobos are found in only Delta central.

Nupes are the only minority group who have produced governors of 3 different states (Kwara, Niger and Kano).
And the same Nupes are also all over Kogi state and Federal capital territory.

Kanuri people are the only ones who produce governors in Borno and Yobe states. They are the largest tribe in the north-east. They are also found in Jigawa, Bauchi and Gombe states.

Tiv people are all over Benue, Nasarawa, Taraba and even Cross river state where they are among the majority groups. They are also in Cameroon in large numbers.

Gwari people have produced 2 head of state in Nigeria (Babangida and Abdulsalami Abubakar). Gbagyi (Gwari) people are among the largest tribes in Kaduna, Niger and Nasarawa states, they own majority of FCT and they are also found in Kogi.

The problem is that most southernerns think the whole north and middlebelt is Hausa-fulani which is very very wrong and ignorant!
For the record. Urhobo occupies Delta Central, part of Delta South and Sagbama in Bayelsa. This is verifiable. Gwari could have produced two heads of State, that doesn't makes them one of the largest ethnic group. While IBB was a Military head of State AA was an interim head of State, these two regimes had nothing to do with population.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by jessedaflow: 11:59pm On Oct 10, 2016
topsyking:
1. yoruba
2.hausa
3.niger delta
4.IBO
illiteracy, when did nigerdelta turn into a tribe, sum Nigerians self
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by uncleade(m): 12:04am On Oct 11, 2016
Ugomba:
how can a tiny olukumi people who are deeply absorbed mean that yorubas are now in SS.
Even the olukumi have some benin root in them.
you might not be a fool, but surely you are not normal.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by ificatchmodeh: 1:25am On Oct 11, 2016
The largest in the south is ibos..we don't need census to confirm..just stand..look around you wherever you're right now...count apart from indigenous people..

The fourth in nigeria are ijaws./kanuris.they are spread within states..and are populated..

Reppin IZON..
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Jascon4: 7:45am On Oct 11, 2016
wacoj:

Have you gone round the SS before?
abi you no go school?
There are heavy presence of Igbos in Rivers eg Ikwerre, Obigbo people etc.

In Delta state, we have Delta Igbos as well eg Obulu Ukwu, Ogwu ashiukwu, even Asaba etc

In Akwa Ibom, you also have Igbo speaking few that share boundary with Abia state

Unacceptable. People keep making that assertion. There is no indigenous igbo speaking tribe in Akwa Ibom, those you may be referring to are definitely settlers, as the two states share a common boundary where inter marriage and inter travel are a norm.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by wiseoneking: 8:11am On Oct 11, 2016
worldmoney:
Bro see as you use confidence they talk wetin u no know. kalabari, okrika, Bonny are all Ijaws. Patience is from Okrika. Ijaws are majority in Rivers state not minorities o. one love
Thanks for pointing out kalabari ijaw been one but as i read in their wikipedia, some ijaws believed that kalabari is a different language. For ijaw been the dominant group is a great Fallacy. Thanks
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by wiseoneking: 8:16am On Oct 11, 2016
worldmoney post: Bro see as you use confidence they talk wetin u no know. kalabari, okrika, Bonny are all Ijaws. Patience is from Okrika. Ijaws are majority in Rivers state not minorities o. one love
Thanks for pointing out kalabari ijaw been one but as i read in their wikipedia, some ijaws believed that kalabari is a different language. For ijaw been the dominant group is a great Fallacy. Thanks
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 9:08am On Oct 11, 2016
Delonn:
For the record. Urhobo occupies Delta Central, part of Delta South and Sagbama in Bayelsa. This is verifiable. Gwari could have produced two heads of State, that doesn't makes them one of the largest ethnic group. While IBB was a Military head of State AA was an interim head of State, these two regimes had nothing to do with population.

Urhobo people occupy the 8 LGAs of Delta central and i think parts of Warri south and those in Bayelsa are just in 1 LGA.
Gbagyi people on the other hand dominate the whole of FCT (6 LGAs). Gbagyi people dominate the 11 LGAs of Niger east senatorial district. The same Gbagyi are found in 3 LGAs in Nasarawa state, In Kaduna state they are the second largest tribe found in 4 LGAs and they are also found in 1 LGA in Kogi state. Now tell me how on earth Urhobos can challenge a tribe like this.
Gbagyis are the most widely spread tribe in the middlebelt but Tivs and Nupes can challenge them in the region.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

David Umahi: Peter Obi Is Competent To Be VP But... / FG Tells Togo, Benin, Niger To Pay Electricity Bills / Bianca-Ebele Slap Was A Comic Relief - Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.