Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,205 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today (12961 Views)

Amaechi: I Could Have Been Killed By Ken Saro Wiwa's Killers Because Of Buhari / Buhari's 75th Birthday: FFK Congratulates President, Asks Him To Resign / Photos From Burial Of Ken Saro Wiwa Jnr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by lalasticlala(m): 8:31am On Oct 10, 2016
Kenule "Ken" Beeson Saro-Wiwa (10 October 1941 – 10 November 1995) was a Nigerian writer, television producer, environmental activist, and winner of the Right Livelihood Award and the Goldman Environmental Prize. Saro-Wiwa was a member of the Ogoni people, an ethnic minority in Nigeria whose homeland, Ogoniland, in the Niger Delta has been targeted for crude oil extraction since the 1950s and which has suffered extreme environmental damage from decades of indiscriminate petroleum waste dumping. Initially as spokesperson, and then as president, of the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP), Saro-Wiwa led a nonviolent campaign against environmental degradation of the land and waters of Ogoniland by the operations of the multinational petroleum industry, especially the Royal Dutch Shell company. He was also an outspoken critic of the Nigerian government, which he viewed as reluctant to enforce environmental regulations on the foreign petroleum companies operating in the area.

At the peak of his non-violent campaign, he was tried by a special military tribunal for allegedly masterminding the gruesome murder of Ogoni chiefs at a pro-government meeting, and hanged in 1995 by the military dictatorship of General Sani Abacha. His execution provoked international outrage and resulted in Nigeria's suspension from the Commonwealth of Nations for over three years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Saro-Wiwa

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by LORDOFAFONJAS: 8:33am On Oct 10, 2016
A great man, leader and a figure, he died for a just course. I am dedication this FTC to all freedom fighters all over the south, may God almighty see us through our struggles

There is this special feeling you feel when you the first to comment in a lalasticlala thread, its like I am on top of the world right now...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by emeijeh(m): 8:34am On Oct 10, 2016
cry
We remember the ogoni 8.
Black/blood oil

LORDOFAFONJAS:
A great man, leader and a figure, he died for a just course. I am dedication this FTC to all freedom fighters all over the south, may God almighty see us through our struggles
Calm down na! I'm sure it's your first

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 10, 2016
Just another unrepentant Igbo hater. Abacha did the necessary. Good morning Lalasticlala.

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Pheals(f): 8:36am On Oct 10, 2016
Can't believe shell do that or the government shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by emeijeh(m): 8:37am On Oct 10, 2016
iSlayer2:
Just another unrepentant Igbo hater. Abacha did the necessary. Good morning Lalasticlala.
Don't say that
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by LORDOFAFONJAS: 8:38am On Oct 10, 2016
iSlayer2:
Afonja, if only you had one of Sato wiwa, you won't be licking the azzez of the alimis

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by AgentOrange: 8:42am On Oct 10, 2016
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 10, 2016
LORDOFAFONJAS:

Afonja, if only you had one of Sato wiwa, you won't be licking the azzez of the alimis
Who's Afonja? Be reasonable this morning

emeijeh:

Don't say that
Why not? He was fighting for his people no doubt but He was a deep seated hater of the Igbo. Of the three major ethnicities which he blamed for Nigeria's problems He hated the Igbo the most. Am I lying? The man can go to hell,he is part of the leaders in the ND that entrenched so much hatred between the Igbo and their neighbors. Now look at what we have today. Good riddance!

7 Likes

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ayoswit(f): 8:44am On Oct 10, 2016
Murdered by shell, shell there is God o.
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by walanter(m): 8:46am On Oct 10, 2016
Clear road for this mahn
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by DoTheNeedful: 8:48am On Oct 10, 2016
LORDOFAFONJAS:

Lol...the guy you quoted is your Biafra compatriot. Why do some of you guys label anybody with an opinion that is not as tribalistic or sectional like yours Afonja,Yoloba or Boko Haram.... It really suck to be you. I dont envy you at all.

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Yannny: 8:49am On Oct 10, 2016
Hmmm! She na Shell kill ham?

RIP HERO KEN SARO WIWA
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Young03(m): 8:49am On Oct 10, 2016
gf
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by bosswina(m): 8:52am On Oct 10, 2016
I don't know nothing bout him hating the igbos,as long as. He was fighting for his people then that's fine. As for Abacha,am sure he is regretting all his inhumane actions as we speak.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by 1shortblackboy: 8:54am On Oct 10, 2016
iSlayer2:

Who's Afonja? Be reasonable this morning

Why not? He was fighting for his people no doubt but He was a deep seated hater of the Igbo. Of the three major ethnicities which he blamed for Nigeria's problems He hated the Igbo the most. Am I lying? The man can go to hell,he is part of the leaders in the ND that entrenched so much hatred between the Igbo and their neighbors. Now look at what we have today. Good riddance!
what do u even know about ken saro wiwa ? Yes he never supported biafra and so ? Is it by force? Have a different opinion from igbos does not mean he hated igbos. What u guys have failed to understand is that our fight and struggles are different. Follow ur own struggle and stop dragging others into it by force

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by kestolove95(m): 8:55am On Oct 10, 2016
fine man
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Respect55(m): 8:57am On Oct 10, 2016
Nigeria has been a poo ab initio
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by right0100: 8:57am On Oct 10, 2016
who be this one again..HBD anyways
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KomonSense: 9:02am On Oct 10, 2016
kestolove95:
fine man
Like seriously? Dump comment
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KomonSense: 9:02am On Oct 10, 2016
kestolove95:
fine man
Like seriously? Dump comment
kestolove95:
fine man
Like seriously? Wasted comment
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nellybank(m): 9:03am On Oct 10, 2016
This country is completely lawless. How can shell murder this fine man still walk around d city of ogoni without any arrest. Its unfair
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 10, 2016
bosswina:
I don't know nothing bout him hating the igbos as long as. He was fighting for his people then that's fine. As for Abacha,am sure he is regretting all his inhumane actions as we speak.
@bolded...a little research will enlighten you

1shortblackboy:
what do u even know about ken saro wiwa ? Yes he never supported biafra and so ? Is it by force? Have a different opinion from igbos does not mean he hated igbos. What u guys have failed to understand is that our fight and struggles are different. Follow ur own struggle and stop dragging others into it by force
What concerns Biafra with this. Undisputedly Saro wiwa was a Igbo hater till his death. In fighting for the Ogoni,a noble fight,He needn't paint us black before achieving what he wanted to. In anything the Igbo are fighting for they don't paint the minorities black but it's always the other way round with the minorities. Okay,after all of it was has it gained the Ogoni,where is He today?

4 Likes

Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Eyor1(m): 9:07am On Oct 10, 2016
Choi.... Ndaa mene, kia leele.

Proudly Ogoni.
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by allanphash7(m): 9:08am On Oct 10, 2016
The hero
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by bharkarh(m): 9:09am On Oct 10, 2016
Oya make una kan tell me more about Saro Wiwa. I trust my ever brilliant Nairalanders grin
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by talk2hb1(m): 9:09am On Oct 10, 2016
My Childhood hero!!!
RIP angry angry angry angry
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by zurine(f): 9:12am On Oct 10, 2016
next is eternal judgement
Re: Ken Saro-wiwa's 75th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Okeycima: 9:17am On Oct 10, 2016
He play the game and he paid the dues with his lie and to those saying he the never know he wAs an All round hater of ndi-igbo,should do a little research on who he is? What he did? And his death!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APGA Governorship Primaries Holding In Awka (Live Pictures) / Saraki Using Senate For Personal Interest — Sen Adamu / Presidential Campaign Promise: You Won’t Regret Voting APC In 2019 – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.