Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,101 members, 7,828,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. (38810 Views)

Rochas Okorocha Visits Site Of Collapsed Building In Owerri (Photos) / Orji Uzor Kalu At University Of Nigeria, Nsukka, Gyrating With Kegites Club / The Proposed 4TH Mainland Bridge & Masterplan In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by PentiumProf: 9:49pm On Oct 20, 2016
T9ksy:

And did you peruse the source i provided? I guess not.

The fact of the matter is, you lied when you claimed........... "The action group members were attacked by the Kano mob. The igbo traders that tried protecting the action group leaders were killed " .

Akintola and his team didn't even appear in Kano so how were the ibos defending the former when the northerners descended on the latter in the Sabon gari, they were confined to, slaughtering them at will?
Read history books or better still search for Kano riots at Wikipedia
As for the hausa man you quoted no reasonable person expects him to stand on the side of truth
I almost forgot inuwa wada was from Kano
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Igboid: 9:49pm On Oct 20, 2016
And why did AZIKIWE wrote Britain to accuse awolowo of treason awolowo wanted to include right to secede in our constitution ? They should not have been plan to include secession if we were not dependent and doing well in our region.

This is ridiculous. Afonjas no go kill me.

Please which year did this happen. Also can you provide us a copy of this letter supposedly written by Zik to the British grin

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Igboid: 9:52pm On Oct 20, 2016
"Here, Mallam Inua Wada, a former Federal Minister and an honourable man, recalls: “It was the booing and jeering experienced by the Northern members of parliament at the hands of Lagos crowds in Lagos”. So, on Saturday, 16th May 1953, despite the fact that Chief Akintola team’s did not even turn up, red-eyed organised mobs and hoodlums went into action and killed innocent citizens from the South, especially those from the Eastern part of the country. One glaring point to note here says the Justice Onyiuke’s report, is, the use of government machinery to perpetuate and escalate the dastardly act. The Native Authority agents, who were supposed to protect the people, became agents of death".

Why should anyone accept this account of events written by a non neutral party?
You are not serious.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by felicitywe(m): 9:54pm On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:
As a true Nwafo Igbo I am often perplexed whenever I read/hear my Ummuna brothers refer to Nnamdi Azikiwe as a Hero. For those who do not know; Nnamdi Azikiwe betrayed we Igbos. He was the one that composed the Biafran National Anthem, but ironically, during the heat of the Biafran civil war, Azikiwe ran away from Biafra. He defected to Nigeria and supported the Nigerian governemnt in the killing of his own Biafran people.

Obafemi Awolowo's free education policy amongst many others is an achievement the Yoruba's can regard to as the legacy of the defunct Western region; what can we Igbos point to as Nnamdi Azikiwe's achievment in the eastern region? Nothing !!

For those who do not know; prior to the 1950's, Nnamdi Azikiwe left Igboland, he went to Yorubaland and greedily fought both tooth and nail to become the leader of the western regional house of assembly at Ibadan. Awolowo's political party, A.G defeated Azikiwe's NCNC and disgracefully chased him back to Igboland. When he came back to Alaigbo what did he do for we Igbos? Nothing!! This particular university we are beating our chest about was built many years after more than five generation of Yoruba's had been going to the University in England. Even Chinua Achebe the greatest academia in Igboland had his own university education in Yorubaland at the University College of Ibadan
this is a typical yoluba post.D post is filled wt yoluba betrayal,castigation n hate.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by PentiumProf: 10:03pm On Oct 20, 2016
Igboid:
"Here, Mallam Inua Wada, a former Federal Minister and an honourable man, recalls: “It was the booing and jeering experienced by the Northern members of parliament at the hands of Lagos crowds in Lagos”. So, on Saturday, 16th May 1953, despite the fact that Chief Akintola team’s did not even turn up, red-eyed organised mobs and hoodlums went into action and killed innocent citizens from the South, especially those from the Eastern part of the country. One glaring point to note here says the Justice Onyiuke’s report, is, the use of government machinery to perpetuate and escalate the dastardly act. The Native Authority agents, who were supposed to protect the people, became agents of death".

Why should anyone accept this account of events written by a non neutral party?
You are not serious.
Inuwa wada was a member of the northern peoples congress
I expect some elements of bias from the man
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by felicitywe(m): 10:17pm On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

Bros being a Renown and Seasoned African Nationalist goes beyond attending First Class Universities or the strength of your media house. FFK attended first class universities, is he a renown African Nationalist ? The likes of Nelson Mandela, Gaddafi, Haile Seilassie, Patrice Lumumba, Keneth Kaunda etc. never attended first class universities but africans always regard them and put them at the forefront of African Nationalism. There are things those aforementioned men experienced that zik never took part

Firstly, Zik was lucky never to have experienced thorough and brutal oppression from the colonial masters before achieving his results . Most of the aforementioned men were brutally tortured and dealt with, some even lost their lives in the heat of the struggle, some were imprisoned for a long time, some even were killed after gaining their independence. Someone like Haile Selaisse brutally repelled the italians invasion to colonize Ethiopia and he won. Nkrumah was removed by a coup in conjunction with CIA. Lumumba was assassinated by the Americans and Belgians in which they later apologised. What it means is that Zik strength and Courage was never tested in the face of oppression and brutality! Nobody knows whether he would have succumbed to the whites.

Secondly, Zik never ruled his country though he forged an alliance with Balewa a Grade II teacher to become the Gov-General which was a ceremonial Post.

The Legendary Harold Smith said:

"We tricked Azikwe into accepting to
be president having known that Balewa will
be the main man with power. Awolowo has
to go to jail to cripple his genius plans for a
greater Nigeria".

It means Zik was never seen as the Number one figure in his country not to talk of Africa as a whole!

In conclusion zik is one of the best African nationalist but when it comes to greatness he has people at his front.
ur submisson is so poor.Bc Zik was nt brutalized therefore u cannt regard him as a pan African.Well do a research on Zikist Movement&its activities in Nig independence.Also ask of Comrade Raji Abdallah frm Egbiraland.The fact dat he accepted didnt diminish his prowess,contributn as a Pan African.Pls read history n learn 2 be objective bc no matter hw far u go wt lies someone will debunk it one day.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:21pm On Oct 20, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

I don't understand why you keep comparing countries that had to shed a little blood with Nigeria??
Nigeria's agitations for independence was not as torturous and painful like what was found in other African countries.
Does an individual have to wounded,shed blood and beaten to stupor before he will be hailed a hero?
Violence is out of the equation if one can use his brain and pen to motivate people with the right Political thought and beliefs,and that is what Azikiwe did.
He didn't have to fall back on violence and demonstrations to call people to action. Even at that, Azikiwe was imprisoned for Months by the colonialist for inspiring Sedition and Anti colonial struggles.
His published works got into the right hands and they acted accordingly.
There is no point undermining who has already been credited as far as Nigerian and African Nationalism is concerned. Your argument against it is already inconsequential as you write.

If he was deceived then blame it on the white man who knew it was best to leave power in the hands of Northern Nigerian to serve an ulterior motive.
Even though he was lucky Nigeria's agitation for independence was not bloody but he still went ahead to receive a greek gift from the white men in order to become a ceremonial Gov-General and you told us to blame the whites for deceiving him. Can't he say NO! A real leader must learn how to say NO even if what is being cajoled of looks attractive. And an ideal Pan-Africanist don't receive greek gift from the whites, ask The Great Patrice Lumumba.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:22pm On Oct 20, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Who said Yorubas were not doing well pre independence? Didn't you just write that you are not playing the tribal game. That's incredible.
The earliest submission is that Igbos quite literate before independence and secured a lot of employment with the colonial administration. The earliest public servants irrespective of tribe all got there by merit.
So how did you drag your Yoruba into this? When people want to give kudos to their forerunners you jump in and accuse them of not mentioning your tribe?
Pathetic.
The Genesis of this argument was when you and your folks said there were no qualified yoruba academician eligible to be appointed U.I and UNILAG VC respectively which means SW had no qualified professor in 1960 when dike became U.I VC and 1962 when Njoku became UNILAG VC. and I also told you their appointments was a result of Zik's influence coz zik was the Gov-General btw 1960-1966. I also relate it to how GEJ appointed new VCs to his newly established fed. Uni.

Now look at it this way: How come a yoruba man (Prof. Oladele Ajose) in 1962 became 1st O.A.U VC ? It was because O.A.U was established by Action Group in western region and Zik and Balewa had no power over O.A.U.

In the case of UNILAG, When Prof. Eni Njoku wanted to serve another term, he was fiercely resisted by the school management composed of Yoruba Professors, their protest led to the emergence of Prof. Saburi Biobaku as the VC. The west had more than enough intellectual properties but Zik knew what he was doing when he turned down Awo's alliance and merged with Balewa because the north were really backward academically which gave him a clear chance to populate the civil service with his kinsmen.

The Notable Harold Smith also said zik wanted to catch up with the west academically at all cost, even Achebe affirmed that the west had an early start academically before independence.

Again you've dribble yourself away from my question but I will still ask you again: Give me the names of yorubas that ran nigeria economy down after the war. I'm waiting.

3 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:22pm On Oct 20, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Kindly show me where i called Azikiwe the Greatest African Nationalist?? I've maintained that he was at the forefront of the Pan African Movement as can be seen in his enduring legacies in Africa and participation in the Pan African Movement.
Why are you drawing inferences when i've not written such?
I gave different explanations of Azikiwe's anti colonial legacy and Pan African ideologies that motivated the likes of Nkrumah yet you keep undermining him because he is Igbo and unworthy to be celebrated like his mates.
Irrespective of what you say, where the rest of names are mentioned, Azikiwe always stand boldily inbetween.

Fortunately,you are the one that keep playing the Tribal game. Well,keep playing because Azikiwe is not seeking for your validations. The international community has already credited him.
You said Azikwe is at the fore front of Pan-Africanism but I gave you a link to Pan-Africanism but his name, quotes, philosophy were not mentioned. Here is the link again:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Africanism

We could see how the likes of Nkrumah, Kenyatta, Lumumba stood out outstandingly!

You also place zik at the forefront without including any african leader alongside! But you just twisted your now word by saying Zik stood boldly in-between. You've already said he's at the forefront. Being at the forefront simply means: "to be leading" which to you implies other african leaders are not really known or some inconsequential! Go to a remote place in botswana and I tell you most of them would barely know who zik is, but mention people like Mandela, Gaddafi, Kenyatta etc. and note their reactions. Once again zik was an influential leader but his influence can still not be compared with other african leaders.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:24pm On Oct 20, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

If your definition of a seasoned Nationalist mean Brutalized,beaten and scorned then you got it all wrong.

A seasoned Nationalist is an inspiring figure that can harness what his has for actualization of a course. If it turns bloody along the way then the colonialist are to blame.
People agitating for their right musr not be brutalized to be heroes,that is an African mentality.
Would you have known the likes of Marcus Gavey, MLK, Lisa Park, Harriet Tubman etc If lives were rosy for the AA then ? And mind you it was not an African mentality: the likes of Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, Che Guevera were not left out. So that was why I said Zik was a little bit lucky he did not faced stiff and brutal opposition those men encountered. Such experience most times brings out the real you and let people know where you stand, of course we all know some leaders that fail and falter on their course due to not getting things on a platter of gold. The closet experience zik would have had was the 1996 coup whereas he suspiciously traveled out a day to the event.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:33pm On Oct 20, 2016
felicitywe:
ur submisson is so poor.Bc Zik was nt brutalized therefore u cannt regard him as a pan African.Well do a research on Zikist Movement&its activities in Nig independence.Also ask of Comrade Raji Abdallah frm Egbiraland.The fact dat he accepted didnt diminish his prowess,contributn as a Pan African.Pls read history n learn 2 be objective bc no matter hw far u go wt lies someone will debunk it one day.
I can see you've not been following my post, there was no where I said Zik can not be regarded as a pan-african. I even said he's one of the best African Nationalist. Please stop twisting my words. I was simply against the dude that placed Zik at the forefront of Pan-Africansim. I even showed him a Pan-African link and Zik's name, quotes, philosophies were not mentioned there. Please don't misquote me.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Igboid: 10:41pm On Oct 20, 2016
"The feat achieved by the Western Region in terms of the UPE led the Eastern Region to embark upon its own 8 years free education scheme. Thus, [b]in February 1957, the universal primary education scheme was launched in the Eastern Region using the fire-brigade approach. [/b]The government started the programme without adequate planning; thus, the needed finances for thorough execution were grossly inadequate. Summarily put by Oni (2008), almost everything, except the pupils, was absent. Unfortunately, due to pressure and lack of time for proper preparation, the schools were staffed by untrained teachers, therefore of low quality. The programme failed in just 1 year of its implementation (Oni, 2008)."

This is another afonja propaganda.

The East prior to the introduction of had more pupils enrolled in primary schools than the Western region.

She also had more teachers. But introduction of the UPE stretched the teachers to the limit, meaning that the East had to augument them with non fully trained teachers, but these were just few in number, and only because the number of pupils the East teachers had to handle out numbered those of the Western region teachers by over 200,000.

To suggest that the quality of education passed on by the Eastern teachers were of poor quality and those of Yoruba teachers of required quality is nothing more than Yoruba usual delusional propaganda.

Gosh! There is no limit to the depth these despicable people would descend to undermine Ndiigbo. It's almost like their candles can't shine without them first extinguishing ours.

Below is a stat on primary school enrollment of both regions, before and after the introduction of UPE in both regions.

3 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DONGOYARO1: 10:59pm On Oct 20, 2016
This is an interesting thread. We learn new things everyday. I never knew that nnamdi azikiwe was the one that composed the biafra national anthem, but he did not fully believe in biafra being that he eventually ran away and denied biafra. What a slimy coward and betrayer nnamdi azikiwe was
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:32pm On Oct 21, 2016
DaPuncline:

The Genesis of this argument was when you and your folks said there were no qualified yoruba academician eligible to be appointed U.I and UNILAG VC respectively which means SW had no qualified professor in 1960 when dike became U.I VC and 1962 when Njoku became UNILAG VC. and I also told you their appointments was a result of Zik's influence coz zik was the Gov-General btw 1960-1966. I also relate it to how GEJ appointed new VCs to his newly established fed. Uni.

Now look at it this way: How come a yoruba man (Prof. Oladele Ajose) in 1962 became 1st O.A.U VC ? It was because O.A.U was established by Action Group in western region and Zik and Balewa had no power over O.A.U.

In the case of UNILAG, When Prof. Eni Njoku wanted to serve another term, he was fiercely resisted by the school management composed of Yoruba Professors, their protest led to the emergence of Prof. Saburi Biobaku as the VC. The west had more than enough intellectual properties but Zik knew what he was doing when he turned down Awo's alliance and merged with Balewa because the north were really backward academically which gave him a clear chance to populate the civil service with his kinsmen.

The Notable Harold Smith also said zik wanted to catch up with the west academically at all cost, even Achebe affirmed that the west had an early start academically before independence.

Again you've dribble yourself away from my question but I will still ask you again: Give me the names of yorubas that ran nigeria economy down after the war. I'm waiting.
You seem to be mixing me up with of other participants on this thread. When you are extremely tribally motivated and sensitive you will continue to draw inferences and find it difficult to differenciate between your co debaters.
There are people that submitted that Yorubas were backward academically and were not good enough to handle top positions before independence. I didn't write such. Pls can you refer back to the previous threads and find those people?
My argument has always been that Igbos got their University quite late but they sought for proper education beyond Igboland which led them beyond Nigeria and Africa.
Secondly, Western civilization came quite late to Igbos but they made the best of it when it came and caught up with others prior independence. Before independence, a large number of Igbos were all over Nigeria working with the colonial aministrations.
Every appointment and employments back in the days were largely on merit. So why is it offfensive that an Igbo man was found worthy to be a VC of a Western institution? That Tribal Game is too boring.
Besides, it's slave mentality to debate who acquired Western civilization first. The main argument should be how much impact did it make in your region.
Do not mix me up with people's opinions if you have to respond to my post.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:36pm On Oct 21, 2016
DaPuncline:

Even though he was lucky Nigeria's agitation for independence was not bloody but he still went ahead to receive a greek gift from the white men in order to become a ceremonial Gov-General and you told us to blame the whites for deceiving him. Can't he say NO! A real leader must learn how to say NO even if what is being cajoled of looks attractive. And an ideal Pan-Africanist don't receive greek gift from the whites, ask The Great Patrice Lumumba.
Lol,it is not a greek gift if the colonialist had already planned what to do with their colony.
Whether he was a Gov Gen or not,he had already fought and secured independence for his Nation and that is credited to him.
Like i keep saying,this silly argument ends on nairaland. The legacy of Azikiwe is out there for the world to see and it has been acknowledged several times without your sanction or permissions.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:49pm On Oct 21, 2016
DaPuncline:

Would you have known the likes of Marcus Gavey, MLK, Lisa Park, Harriet Tubman etc If lives were rosy for the AA then ? And mind you it was not an African mentality: the likes of Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, Che Guevera were not left out. So that was why I said Zik was a little bit lucky he did not faced stiff and brutal opposition those men encountered. Such experience most times brings out the real you and let people know where you stand, of course we all know some leaders that fail and falter on their course due to not getting things on a platter of gold. The closet experience zik would have had was the 1996 coup whereas he suspiciously traveled out a day to the event.
At the end of the day,you are blaming Azikiwe for not having a bloody encounter and subsequently making a mockery of his anti colonial struggle and Pan African ideologies.
First and Foremost, Nigeria's fight for independence was handled by intelligent men in such a way that there was no need for blood baths. A true leader is not who can shed blood and initiate riots and violent demonstrations,a true leader is he who is charismatic enough to initiate people to a course and put all his resources and abilities to actualize the agenda of his course.
A leader can manifest in several ways,there is nothing suggests that a true leader must be brutalized. If he is brutalized or killed along the way. Then it is a prize he paid for what he believed in.
So when he is not killed or beaten,do we now make light of his struggles and leadership qualities?
Your point is extremely one sided,ilogical and tinted with ethnic sensitivity .
Away from this thread,there is no one that rubbishes and limit Azikiwe's legacy to fit into his idea of what a leader should be.
A good question to take away from all this is, if Azikiwe was yoruba will i be fighting to belittle his legacy?
On my side,i have been able to talk about him based on the factual evidences and acknowledgements out there. Good luck on trying to fight international consensus.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 1:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
DaPuncline:

You said Azikwe is at the fore front of Pan-Africanism but I gave you a link to Pan-Africanism but his name, quotes, philosophy were not mentioned. Here is the link again:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Africanism

We could see how the likes of Nkrumah, Kenyatta, Lumumba stood out outstandingly!

You also place zik at the forefront without including any african leader alongside! But you just twisted your now word by saying Zik stood boldly in-between. You've already said he's at the forefront. Being at the forefront simply means: "to be leading" which to you implies other african leaders are not really known or some inconsequential! Go to a remote place in botswana and I tell you most of them would barely know who zik is, but mention people like Mandela, Gaddafi, Kenyatta etc. and note their reactions. Once again zik was an influential leader but his influence can still not be compared with other african leaders.
Why would a reasonable person repeatedly use one Event and site to justify his worthless convictions?
There are numerous platforms where Azikiwe is mentioned alongside others as big and notable symbols/figure on Pan African Nationalism.
I gave a good example of how Azikiwe mentored Nkrumah who later ran off with Azikiwe's Pan Africanism beliefs and enforced them in Ghana.
I gave an example of the more Popular Pan African Summit in London where Azikiwe was a major participants alongside the names you keep mentioning.
It will be a gread dis service to Africa to elevate those names and not talk about the legacy of the only Nigerian Pan Africanist whose beliefs were adhered to and supported by his contemporaries.
When i say forefront, i don't mean the Greatest. I see that you have big peoblems with WordDefinitions.
Forefront here mean noticeable/important/inspirational and of course he was a notable Pan African Nationalist mentioned along side the other folks.
Inbetween- in a literal manner mean beside two extremities.
In this case,it means written and placed alongside other Symbols of the Pan African Movement.
His Ziks movement actively promoted his Five principle for African Liberation and United states of Africa which is still consulted by modern Pan African Nationalist.
You have nothing to back up the statement that nobody knows Azikiwe beyond here.
For your information, Azikiwe of Nigeria and Zik of Africa is a popular figure in African and Nigerian history. Go and tell that one to the Popular Azikiwe avenue in Tanzania.
You need Empirical evidence to support that useless statement.
After all said and done, Azikiwe remainds an important personality in Nigerian's fight for indepedence and a Pan African Nationalist. EOD.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 1:22pm On Oct 21, 2016
felicitywe:
Honestly,the lame idea that someone cannot be regarded as a leader if he was not brutalized or murdered is extremely illogical, ridiculous and plain sstupid.
That's the average mentality of a tribal bigot.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 2:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
DaPuncline:

I can see you've not been following my post, there was no where I said Zik can not be regarded as a pan-african. I even said he's one of the best African Nationalist. Please stop twisting my words. I was simply against the dude that placed Zik at the forefront of Pan-Africansim. I even showed him a Pan-African link and Zik's name, quotes, philosophies were not mentioned there. Please don't misquote me.
lol,you still can't situate forefront properly? I didn't even mention Greatest and Best and you rant in this manner?
If you can define words reasonably and put them in a proper context,then you will discover that your arguments has been furtile.
Secondly, Wikipedia is not the only site and link existing on the net therefore cannot be used to justify a daft argument when there are other worthy sites around. The page only carried limited information about an organization,did it list other important ideologies,events,conferences,personalities and struggles associated with this movements?
Prior to the dates in that site, Pan African movements had already taken shape and were held in other places and involved people not found on that limited list.
I can list big names that are not on that list that should have been added. The names that were ''included'' doesn't mean they are the only people. The list only include some people associated with the movement of which Azikiwe and others were big advocates of the movement.
Guy,that list is just a list and not all encompassing.
No one can understand your obsession and effort channeled towards slighting Azikiwe's pan African legacy.
Only a sstupor will say that a Polar bear is not an animal because he didn't see it in a particular textbook.
He stands tall when the rooster is called and reviewed.
Good riddance.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:43pm On Oct 23, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

lol,you still can't situate forefront properly? I didn't even mention Greatest and Best and you rant in this manner?
If you can define words reasonably and put them in a proper context,then you will discover that your arguments has been furtile.
Secondly, Wikipedia is not the only site and link existing on the net therefore cannot be used to justify a daft argument when there are other worthy sites around. The page only carried limited information about an organization,did it list other important ideologies,events,conferences,personalities and struggles associated with this movements?
Prior to the dates in that site, Pan African movements had already taken shape and were held in other places and involved people not found on that limited list.
I can list big names that are not on that list that should have been added. The names that were ''included'' doesn't mean they are the only people. The list only include some people associated with the movement of which Azikiwe and others were big advocates of the movement.
Guy,that list is just a list and not all encompassing.
No one can understand your obsession and effort channeled towards slighting Azikiwe's pan African legacy.
Only a sstupor will say that a Polar bear is not an animal because he didn't see it in a particular textbook.
He stands tall when the rooster is called and reviewed.
Good riddance.

Checkout Cambridge Dictionary Definition of Forefront:

* "The most noticeable or important position".

Oxford Dictionary Definition:
* "The position of greatest importance or
prominence"
Let's assume we go with cambridge definition: then what is simply means is zik is the most noticeable pan-africanist or he held the most prominent pan-african position. I've made my point clear about zik right from the onset: you can't just wake up from your slumber and rank zik to be the most prominent (oxford definition) Pan-Africanist thereby relegating others or making them to assume the back bench. I even said it several times that zik was influential but some Pan-Africanist had more influence, but you chose to close your eyes to my assertion that zik was influential and you went further by trying to Panel-beat the word "Forefront" and lately began the use of derogatory words.

I was even surprised you did not say "Wikipedia" is a yoruba site. Thesame wikipedia that started its pan-african research from Trans-Atlantic slavery.

Now go through Britanica Research on Pan-Africanism:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Pan-Africanism

Encyclopedia Link:

www.encyclopedia.com/history/asia-and-africa/african-history/pan-africanism

African Link:

africanhistory.about.com/od/politicalhistory/a/What-Is-Pan-Africanism.htm

AfricanAge Link:

exhibitions.nypl.org/africanaage/essay-pan-africanism.html

Now let's talk about this:

"Only a sstupor will say that a Polar bear is not an animal because he didn't see it in a particular textbook."

I kept repeating myself but its like your brain needs some hammering operation: Zik is one of the Pan-Africanist but he still falls below the food chain to some highly influential Pan-africanist. In the case of polar bear: I strongly believe you can't deny people's familiarity with animals like Lion, Tiger, Elephant etc but that does not change the fact that polar bear is not an animal, but people are just familiar with those aforementioned due to their popularity and exploits! Even THE HOLY BIBLE made an example out of Lion. And beside don't be surprised some learned folks don't know the animal called POLAR BEAR.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:45pm On Oct 23, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Why would a reasonable person repeatedly use one Event and site to justify his worthless convictions?
There are numerous platforms where Azikiwe is mentioned alongside others as big and notable symbols/figure on Pan African Nationalism.
I gave a good example of how Azikiwe mentored Nkrumah who later ran off with Azikiwe's Pan Africanism beliefs and enforced them in Ghana.
I gave an example of the more Popular Pan African Summit in London where Azikiwe was a major participants alongside the names you keep mentioning.
It will be a gread dis service to Africa to elevate those names and not talk about the legacy of the only Nigerian Pan Africanist whose beliefs were adhered to and supported by his contemporaries.
When i say forefront, i don't mean the Greatest. I see that you have big peoblems with WordDefinitions.
Forefront here mean noticeable/important/inspirational and of course he was a notable Pan African Nationalist mentioned along side the other folks.
Inbetween- in a literal manner mean beside two extremities.
In this case,it means written and placed alongside other Symbols of the Pan African Movement.
His Ziks movement actively promoted his Five principle for African Liberation and United states of Africa which is still consulted by modern Pan African Nationalist.
You have nothing to back up the statement that nobody knows Azikiwe beyond here.
For your information, Azikiwe of Nigeria and Zik of Africa is a popular figure in African and Nigerian history. Go and tell that one to the Popular Azikiwe avenue in Tanzania.
You need Empirical evidence to support that useless statement.
After all said and done, Azikiwe remainds an important personality in Nigerian's fight for indepedence and a Pan African Nationalist. EOD.
I've already given you reputable sites to affirm my point on Pan-africanism since you've stylishly labeled "Wikipedia" a yoruba platform. Seems you are literally-mentally deficient of Pan-Africanism movement: it goes beyond the shores of Africa as long as you are an african descent. So I was surprised someone could open the four cardinal points of his mouth and place Zik alongside MLK, Malcom X, Marcus Garvey, Lumumba et al. Infact you initially placed zik at the forefront with no one alongside, which means you ranked him as the most prominent (Based on oxford Dict.)

Also that fact that someone mentored you does not restrict you from outshining your mentor. I believe you heard of the likes of Howard thurman, Bayard Rustin et al: those are the folks that mentored MLK, so how come MLK became more relevant than them ? Even Apostle Paul Outshone Gamaliel his mentor in the bible.

And about Zik's name that might not be known in Botswana example: I specified "Remote Place in Botswana" and also other african countries. So stop skewing my words to score political points. And I stand by it: African folks are more familiar with the likes of Mandela, Gadaffi, Lumuba, MLK, Malcom X than Zik. Also I neva said nobody knows Zik beyond Nigeria, you can kindly point out the exact place where I said. I'm even surprised you've twisted your words again by placing Zik alongside other influential Pan-Africanist which has contradicted your FOREFRONT assertion because you never included anyone alongside initially. I'am watching you.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:45pm On Oct 23, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

At the end of the day,you are blaming Azikiwe for not having a bloody encounter and subsequently making a mockery of his anti colonial struggle and Pan African ideologies.
First and Foremost, Nigeria's fight for independence was handled by intelligent men in such a way that there was no need for blood baths. A true leader is not who can shed blood and initiate riots and violent demonstrations,a true leader is he who is charismatic enough to initiate people to a course and put all his resources and abilities to actualize the agenda of his course.
A leader can manifest in several ways,there is nothing suggests that a true leader must be brutalized. If he is brutalized or killed along the way. Then it is a prize he paid for what he believed in.
So when he is not killed or beaten,do we now make light of his struggles and leadership qualities?
Your point is extremely one sided,ilogical and tinted with ethnic sensitivity .
Away from this thread,there is no one that rubbishes and limit Azikiwe's legacy to fit into his idea of what a leader should be.
A good question to take away from all this is, if Azikiwe was yoruba will i be fighting to belittle his legacy?
On my side,i have been able to talk about him based on the factual evidences and acknowledgements out there. Good luck on trying to fight international consensus.
Bros I wasn't blaming Azikwe for not having a bloody encounter, I only said he was lucky or don't you know the difference again ? I told you to stop skewing my words for your own benefit, infact you are fast becoming a liar, Beside the likes of Marcus Garvey, W.E.B Du Bois did not have a bloody encounter or would you also rank zik above them ? the likes of lumumba, MLK, Malcom X would not have had a bloody encounter if not for that fact that they were assassinated. I also remember I said such near-bloody experience @times is an acid test to affirm your loyalty to your course coz we've heard of people that failed or betrayed their followers due to the stiff opposition they encountered.

Additionally, you said "A true leader is not who can shed blood and initiate riots and violent demonstrations". If that's your own perception of a true leader that means you've painted leaders that fought brutally for their own independence as bad leaders. You can't compare how Nigeria gained its independence with other countries because our colonial masters did not lay hold too much on the issue before handing a country over to us infact we got it on a platter of Gold compared to countries like SA, Tanzania, Angola etc.

Lastly, no one is rubbishing zik's legacy, I've already let you know my stand about this argument from the onset, my stand is clear and precise: you don't have to make it look as if I'm a running someone's legacy, and you have to stop seeing someone's argument as an assault.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:46pm On Oct 23, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol,it is not a greek gift if the colonialist had already planned what to do with their colony.
Whether he was a Gov Gen or not,he had already fought and secured independence for his Nation and that is credited to him.
Like i keep saying,this silly argument ends on nairaland. The legacy of Azikiwe is out there for the world to see and it has been acknowledged several times without your sanction or permissions.

A leader should know all gifts are not meant to be collected no matter how well packaged or enticing the gift might be, same way EVE collected an apple in the bible and the rest is now history Lol..., and beside why must be subject himself to be used as a plan for the whitemen ? Why is it that conscience is always buried as soon as what would benefit us is involved ? Zik should have known better!

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:47pm On Oct 23, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

You seem to be mixing me up with of other participants on this thread. When you are extremely tribally motivated and sensitive you will continue to draw inferences and find it difficult to differenciate between your co debaters.
There are people that submitted that Yorubas were backward academically and were not good enough to handle top positions before independence. I didn't write such. Pls can you refer back to the previous threads and find those people?
My argument has always been that Igbos got their University quite late but they sought for proper education beyond Igboland which led them beyond Nigeria and Africa.
Secondly, Western civilization came quite late to Igbos but they made the best of it when it came and caught up with others prior independence. Before independence, a large number of Igbos were all over Nigeria working with the colonial aministrations.
Every appointment and employments back in the days were largely on merit. So why is it offfensive that an Igbo man was found worthy to be a VC of a Western institution? That Tribal Game is too boring.
Besides, it's slave mentality to debate who acquired Western civilization first. The main argument should be how much impact did it make in your region.
Do not mix me up with people's opinions if you have to respond to my post.
Alright. So what's your take about your folks that said: "Yorubas were backward academically and were not good enough to handle top positions before independence".

And again, I'm still waiting for the names of Yoruba people that ran the economy down after independence. HAPPY SUNDAY.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Duru1(m): 12:53am On Oct 24, 2016
CliffordOrji:
As a true Nwafo Igbo I am often perplexed whenever I read/hear my Ummuna brothers refer to Nnamdi Azikiwe as a Hero. For those who do not know; Nnamdi Azikiwe betrayed we Igbos. He was the one that composed the Biafran National Anthem, but ironically, during the heat of the Biafran civil war, Azikiwe ran away from Biafra. He defected to Nigeria and supported the Nigerian governemnt in the killing of his own Biafran people.

Obafemi Awolowo's free education policy amongst many others is an achievement the Yoruba's can regard to as the legacy of the defunct Western region; what can we Igbos point to as Nnamdi Azikiwe's achievment in the eastern region? Nothing !!

For those who do not know; prior to the 1950's, Nnamdi Azikiwe left Igboland, he went to Yorubaland and greedily fought both tooth and nail to become the leader of the western regional house of assembly at Ibadan. Awolowo's political party, A.G defeated Azikiwe's NCNC and disgracefully chased him back to Igboland. When he came back to Alaigbo what did he do for we Igbos? Nothing!! This particular university we are beating our chest about was built many years after more than five generation of Yoruba's had been going to the University in England. Even Chinua Achebe the greatest academia in Igboland had his own university education in Yorubaland at the University College of Ibadan

You need another rudimentary shot at history as a school curriculum. In addition, you should try to become an adult and embrace certain Igbo adages.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Duru1(m): 12:57am On Oct 24, 2016
T9ksy:

My bad................of course na, afterall every ibo man is a millionaire! grin

It will interest you to know that zik did try to implement free education in the Eastern region (1957) after Awo's, in the western region but fell flat on his face within a year upon the realization that he just can't raise the requisite levy to fund the venture.

Anyway, my initial post was in response to another poster who claimed that ibos invested heavily in education in the 50's.

The said "Free Education" established in western region of Nigeria was a useless endeavor.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Duru1(m): 1:04am On Oct 24, 2016
DaPuncline:

Bros which consolation are you talking about ? I keep giving you fact to affirm how Zik and Balewa populated the civil service, ministries with their alliance and you are here saying consolation. Balewa had to danced top Zik's tune coz hausas were less educated then and their political partner which are the igbos are better off academically so they needed them to run the affairs. Yorubas were doing well academically and churning out seasoned academicians but majority of them are Awoist which made never never to be considered by Zik and Balewa. The question I'm still asking you is are you saying there were no qualified yoruba academicians in the west before Zik-Balewa decided to choose igbo academicians as SW university VCs ? I guess that was the bedrock of our argument.

So you said no success was associated to Zik and your folks has been euologizing Zik for given them UNN and Niger Bridge inclusive.

So bros becos Zik fans in nigeria added the word "Africa" to his name so that made him greater than the lumubas, kenyattas, nkrumahs etc.

Nkrumah was a dock Clark when Azikiwe returned to Africa from USA.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 9:04am On Oct 31, 2016
DaPuncline:

Alright. So what's your take about your folks that said: "Yorubas were backward academically and were not good enough to handle top positions before independence".

And again, I'm still waiting for the names of Yoruba people that ran the economy down after independence. HAPPY SUNDAY.
Lol,are you still on this struggle to have the last word on an already concluded topic? I can see you came back many days after i dropped my comments to write your lenghty piece of trash. The stuggle is real. This whole gimmick hidden behind deeper issues is absolutely unnecessary as far as Azikiwe is concerned.
First and foremost,i didn't make a statement about your yoruba people being unqualified before independence,that's really none of business. Why the constant reference to that? Did you not say you are not here to debate yoruba vs igbo?
Why are you still Butthurt by that issue?
I have no intention to play the Tribal card unlike you.
As for Nnamdi Azikiwe, your convictions and prolonged arguments about his position and membership of the Pan African Community is honestly a furtile attempt at debating the legacies of a leader well credited and acknowledged by his contemporaries.
Lastly,i will advice you to get a grip on yourself especially along tribal lines because a reasonable individual sees the underlying factor and motivation behind this whole debate.
At the end of the day,there is no reasonable basis for this sort of argument. It doesn't change anything beyond this platform.
Last but not the least,go get your self an English Thesaurus and find words that are synonyms that could be placed alongside one another. Your inability to properly define words in a given context is glaring and absolutely disappointing.
When defining someone's legacy and position,one doesn't need to attach other individuals to validate the strenght,position and influence of the principal subject.
Azikiwe has everything it takes to stand as a sole topic without putting him on a weighing scale.
This is not a Comparative study although you have made it one, driven by irrational bigotry and absurdity.
Good luck on you debating on Nairaland over what you have no control of.
Nnamdi Azikiwe was a Major Pan African Nationalist at the forefront.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 8:01pm On Nov 13, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol,are you still on this struggle to have the last word on an already concluded topic? I can see you came back many days after i dropped my comments to write your lenghty piece of trash. The stuggle is real. This whole gimmick hidden behind deeper issues is absolutely unnecessary as far as Azikiwe is concerned.
First and foremost,i didn't make a statement about your yoruba people being unqualified before independence,that's really none of business. Why the constant reference to that? Did you not say you are not here to debate yoruba vs igbo?
Why are you still Butthurt by that issue?
I have no intention to play the Tribal card unlike you.
As for Nnamdi Azikiwe, your convictions and prolonged arguments about his position and membership of the Pan African Community is honestly a furtile attempt at debating the legacies of a leader well credited and acknowledged by his contemporaries.
Lastly,i will advice you to get a grip on yourself especially along tribal lines because a reasonable individual sees the underlying factor and motivation behind this whole debate.
At the end of the day,there is no reasonable basis for this sort of argument. It doesn't change anything beyond this platform.
Last but not the least,go get your self an English Thesaurus and find words that are synonyms that could be placed alongside one another. Your inability to properly define words in a given context is glaring and absolutely disappointing.
When defining someone's legacy and position,one doesn't need to attach other individuals to validate the strenght,position and influence of the principal subject.
Azikiwe has everything it takes to stand as a sole topic without putting him on a weighing scale.
This is not a Comparative study although you have made it one, driven by irrational bigotry and absurdity.
Good luck on you debating on Nairaland over what you have no control of.
Nnamdi Azikiwe was a Major Pan African Nationalist at the forefront.

I'm even surprised you've tagged this argument a struggle. You already knew the issue I had with you but instead of you to accept or rephrase your assertion, you are still looking for a way to Panel-beat the garbages you've earlier written and thereby looking for a way to meander yourself in other to score some cheap points.

Look; in football you can compare Ronaldo with Messi but you would begin to have issues when you start comparing either of them with players like Hazard or Ozil. It does not change the fact that hazard and ozil are good players but comparing them Messi/Ronaldo, and again proceeding by putting them at the fore-front is delusional and a strong party to mediocrity.

I don't have much to say again than to also hammer it into your eardrum that placing zik at the forefront of pan-africanism is self delusion and should be treated like a cancer, because what you simply did is to cut-off the pioneer and founding fathers of pan-africanism, most especially people that popularize the movement both in America and Africa.

And again there is no need of going back to what the word "forefront" means coz I've used several dictionary translations to open your eyes to your fallacy but you just decided to get struck with your mediocrity.

And Lastly: you once said Yorubas ran the economy down, once again I challenge you to show me the yorubas that ran the economy down after civil war. Goodluck.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 10:40pm On Nov 14, 2016
DaPuncline:

I'm even surprised you've tagged this argument a struggle. You already knew the issue I had with you but instead of you to accept or rephrase your assertion, you are still looking for a way to Panel-beat the garbages you've earlier written and thereby looking for a way to meander yourself in other to score some cheap points.

Look; in football you can compare Ronaldo with Messi but you would begin to have issues when you start comparing either of them with players like Hazard or Ozil. It does not change the fact that hazard and ozil are good players but comparing them Messi/Ronaldo, and again proceeding by putting them at the fore-front is delusional and a strong party to mediocrity.

I don't have much to say again than to also hammer it into your eardrum that placing zik at the forefront of pan-africanism is self delusion and should be treated like a cancer, because what you simply did is to cut-off the pioneer and founding fathers of pan-africanism, most especially people that popularize the movement both in America and Africa.

And again there is no need of going back to what the word "forefront" means coz I've used several dictionary translations to open your eyes to your fallacy but you just decided to get struck with your mediocrity.

And Lastly: you once said Yorubas ran the economy down, once again I challenge you to show me the yorubas that ran the economy down after civil war. Goodluck.
Blah Blah Blah! Are you still on this? Coming back to reply long after a thread is gone.
You can't untie Azikiwe's shoe,let alone talk about his position as a Pan Africanist. This is not a comparison subject for God's sake eventhough the true intention of hijacking this thread is very transparent.
He was at the forefront,go pick a dictionary and find different meanings of that word. It's very obvious that you've accessed different ways of establishing your useless views on Azikiwe which is insignificant anyway.
I'm happy this argument ends here because the world recognizes Azikiwe in this capacity. Nobody cares what you think of him.
It's very obvious this is a Yoruba vs Igbo issue. Can you spare me that bullshiit?
How many times do i have to tell you that I NEVER MENTIONED THAT YORUBAS RAN DOWN THE ECONOMY.
What sort of rubbish is this? Aren't you daft?
Ask me that question one more time!
Azikiwe was at the forefront and a highly respected African Pan Nationalist. Deal with it!
Cry me a river when you are done writing up another nonesense.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 8:18pm On Dec 25, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Blah Blah Blah! Are you still on this? Coming back to reply long after a thread is gone.
You can't untie Azikiwe's shoe,let alone talk about his position as a Pan Africanist. This is not a comparison subject for God's sake eventhough the true intention of hijacking this thread is very transparent.
He was at the forefront,go pick a dictionary and find different meanings of that word. It's very obvious that you've accessed different ways of establishing your useless views on Azikiwe which is insignificant anyway.
I'm happy this argument ends here because the world recognizes Azikiwe in this capacity. Nobody cares what you think of him.
It's very obvious this is a Yoruba vs Igbo issue. Can you spare me that bullshiit?
How many times do i have to tell you that I NEVER MENTIONED THAT YORUBAS RAN DOWN THE ECONOMY.
What sort of rubbish is this? Aren't you daft?
Ask me that question one more time!
Azikiwe was at the forefront and a highly respected African Pan Nationalist. Deal with it!
Cry me a river when you are done writing up another nonesense.
Nasty talk from an unbridled mouth. The fact that I have not replied you does not mean the thread has been put to rest; your brain cells should tell you we do not operate thesame time table therefore not replying you instantly would be inevitable. Its like you don't even like someone quoting you or dragging issues with you, so you just want me to concur either you are spewing thrash or nonsense, wake up bro! In order to save your dirty face you've even labeled this argument a Yoruba-Igbo issue to score your cheap points as usual. I have nothing to tell you about zik again coz it keep falling on deaf ears.
Merry Xmas anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sadiya Farouq: I Am Still Studying N-power Files To Know Real Essence / Osun Rerun; Security Operatives Force Residents To Lay On The Ground. Photo / APC Has No Governorship Candidate In Bayelsa - Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.