Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,107 members, 7,828,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. (38813 Views)

Rochas Okorocha Visits Site Of Collapsed Building In Owerri (Photos) / Orji Uzor Kalu At University Of Nigeria, Nsukka, Gyrating With Kegites Club / The Proposed 4TH Mainland Bridge & Masterplan In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 20, 2016
[qte.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 20, 2016
mentioned .ok.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Igboid: 10:30am On Oct 20, 2016
PentiumProf:

These guys don't tire me
They are full of falsehood
Not long ago i watched a documentary on the jan 1966 coup
The documentary was aired on tvc which is owned by drug dealer tinubu
I stopped watching the programme because of how they twisted the story to favour them
One of the problems facing ndi igbo is that we do not control the print and electronic media
Because of that the afonja people have the advantage of twisting history to favour them
Our wealthy sons need to invest in the media
The media is a powerful means of disseminating information

Yes, the media is a strong weapon. Not understanding the importance of media in twisting the perception of masses by our pre civil war fore runners made us pay the ultimate price.

Never again would Yoruba lies be left unchallenged. Every bit of their falsehood must be debunked and exposed as blatant propaganda. It will not survive the scrutiny of the 21st century ICT age.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Customer80: 10:31am On Oct 20, 2016
Akaujaa:

Oga, Zik is gone without doing anything for the Igbos according to you, we agree, but I think you should be telling us what you are now doing to be greater and do better for the Igbos than Zik himself.
the guy is not Igbo brother, so don't waste your time

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 10:32am On Oct 20, 2016
shigothang:

That's the truth .The west were denied some chances due their their level of exposure before th indepndence .

The british planned a designed a country tO favor and rule by the north ,while the east supports them.

The first VC of Ibadan coming from the east is the plan to give the east a stake ( the cath up pan to meet up with the west).

There wre plans to make other regions to catch up woith western nigeria ,and that's why federal character was introduced ,so otheer tribs an meet and we ve a balanced country .

You can read the confession of Harold smith on lies about population!how the west were denied numbers.

Even the pominent Ijaw activist Joseph Evah, was said ther wre plans in nigeria to make other troibes cath up the with west ,which is paying off.

I think the advantage the Ibos ve more than other tribes,its bcuz they have a large population compare to opther tribes,so its visible to notice they are catching up and are ready to dominate but I don't think th west are dozing .

You forgot that Ajayi Crowder played a vital role in the lives of all ibo man, and most of their elites schooled here and leanrt alot from us ,they even dress like us,evolving through our cultural practices and developing a western orientation.

Wheen u talk of industrialist,the west lead and others follow(the okin biscuit,alabukun's and others) in this area and still churning out more ,though the ibo are really trying in the area .
There was a programme on tv years back ,on NTA ,hosted by a lady from eastern part or the S south (Hallmark of Labour) . Its a show to celebrate those who contributed to nigeria's development from different sectors. Its was a very good and well commended ,the programme attest to the fat on how thw west dominated and plaeyd a vital role in all sectors of Nigeria's existence but from the public and private setors of the entity .

That's fact is the west leads ,while others follows but amongst the followers,one is angry ,focus and playing a smart game to lead. To me ,I see this a normal thing.Its a welcome motive to me,it will wake us up ,if we can only havea resource control and self rule.

Imagine a east with a mordern rgional capital that ink the west and south to the north via a 21st century railway .

God bless us all.
What are you even writing?
Igbos supported Britian and the North?
If you are conversant with Nigerian history you will know that Britian resented Igbos and Igbos never like British people. Britian have never hidden their resentment for Igbos. Every description of Igbos start with Stubborn and individualistic race.
Why do you think Britian suceeded in the West and North but failed in the East?
Yorubas have always been allies of the Hausa/Fulani till tomorrow.
Even sir Ahmadu Bello resented Igbos because he believed that Igbos were dominating every sector of the economy before independence.
Western civilization came quite late to Igbos but when it came,they grabbed it with both hands and made the best of it. So you see,igbos have always been at the forefront before independence.

3 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 20, 2016
Read that .
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by diodolce: 11:05am On Oct 20, 2016
Igbo kwenu

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Igboid: 11:18am On Oct 20, 2016
shigothang:

https://m.facebook.com/Ijawmog/posts/276577485790380

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/in-the-next-30-years-our-language-will-suffer-if-nothing-is-done-comrade-evah/

Read that .

Opinions are like scrotal sacs, every man has his. The Ogogoro man and his people are entitled to their own opinions, but that does not make them facts.

Fact is that prior to the civil war, the East was ahead of Western region in Education, Entrepreneurship, standard of living and every thing else good. cool

4 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by jordinsparkles(f): 11:20am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:
As a true Nwafo Igbo I am often perplexed whenever I read/hear my Ummuna brothers refer to Nnamdi Azikiwe as a Hero. For those who do not know; Nnamdi Azikiwe betrayed we Igbos. He was the one that composed the Biafran National Anthem, but ironically, during the heat of the Biafran civil war, Azikiwe ran away from Biafra. He defected to Nigeria and supported the Nigerian governemnt in the killing of his own Biafran people.

Obafemi Awolowo's free education policy amongst many others is an achievement the Yoruba's can regard to as the legacy of the defunct Western region; what can we Igbos point to as Nnamdi Azikiwe's achievment in the eastern region? Nothing !!

For those who do not know; prior to the 1950's, Nnamdi Azikiwe left Igboland, he went to Yorubaland and greedily fought both tooth and nail to become the leader of the western regional house of assembly at Ibadan. Awolowo's political party, A.G defeated Azikiwe's NCNC and disgracefully chased him back to Igboland. When he came back to Alaigbo what did he do for we Igbos? Nothing!! This particular university we are beating our chest about was built many years after more than five generation of Yoruba's had been going to the University in England. Even Chinua Achebe the greatest academia in Igboland had his own university education in Yorubaland at the University College of Ibadan
na u sabi
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 11:27am On Oct 20, 2016
shigothang:

That's the truth .The west were denied some chances due their their level of exposure before th indepndence .

The british planned a designed a country tO favor and rule by the north ,while the east supports them.

The first VC of Ibadan coming from the east is the plan to give the east a stake ( the cath up pan to meet up with the west).

There wre plans to make other regions to catch up woith western nigeria ,and that's why federal character was introduced ,so otheer tribs an meet and we ve a balanced country .

You can read the confession of Harold smith on lies about population!how the west were denied numbers.

Even the pominent Ijaw activist Joseph Evah, was said ther wre plans in nigeria to make other troibes cath up the with west ,which is paying off.

I think the advantage the Ibos ve more than other tribes,its bcuz they have a large population compare to opther tribes,so its visible to notice they are catching up and are ready to dominate but I don't think th west are dozing .

You forgot that Ajayi Crowder played a vital role in the lives of all ibo man, and most of their elites schooled here and leanrt alot from us ,they even dress like us,evolving through our cultural practices and developing a western orientation.

Wheen u talk of industrialist,the west lead and others follow(the okin biscuit,alabukun's and others) in this area and still churning out more ,though the ibo are really trying in the area .
There was a programme on tv years back ,on NTA ,hosted by a lady from eastern part or the S south (Hallmark of Labour) . Its a show to celebrate those who contributed to nigeria's development from different sectors. Its was a very good and well commended ,the programme attest to the fat on how thw west dominated and plaeyd a vital role in all sectors of Nigeria's existence but from the public and private setors of the entity .

That's fact is the west leads ,while others follows but amongst the followers,one is angry ,focus and playing a smart game to lead. To me ,I see this a normal thing.Its a welcome motive to me,it will wake us up ,if we can only havea resource control and self rule.

Imagine a east with a mordern rgional capital that ink the west and south to the north via a 21st century railway .

God bless us all.
You mentioned Federal character. It may interest you to know that Tafawa Balewa established the Quota system and the Federal Character Priciple was introduced by Gowon because he believed that Igbos occupied major departments. In 1979, Federal character was introduced into the constitution to accomodate minority ethnic groups and balance the North and South to eliminate domination of one region of the country.
Where were Igbos in all of this? The Government has always belonged to non Igbos,so how did igbos make plans to distabilize you? Or how did the White man elevate Igbos above Yoruba and Hausa. My friend,everything was done on merit.
Yes, Ajayi was instrumental but before him there was Olaudah Equiano, the first learned Nigerian/igbo whose book inspired slaves and ex slaves.

Of all the Nigerian and even African groups, Igbos were said to have absolved excess Western civilization/orientation. You can see for yourself how some Igbos have abandon their language and culture for foreign cultures. So how are they copying you?
It is normal phenomenon for people that grew away from their homeland to adapt to the cultures of their host groups. So that your point is void.

4 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by 4everisaac(m): 11:29am On Oct 20, 2016
Dem wan do high jump?
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 11:46am On Oct 20, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Oh Chim. Why not read Azikiwe's biography before writing these things? By 1945, Azikiwe had just joined his first party and was still printing his Newspaper to fight colonialism and Western imperialism which influenced Political consciousness amongst Nigerians and Africans.
Nigerian's struggle for independence was not as Radical and violent as other nations so there was no reason to carry arms against White men. The pen is mightier than the sword.
Azikiwe's newspapers galvanised people into agitating for independence. Azikiwe on his own was a mentor to Nkurmah because Zik's beliefs inspired him and increased his belief in African Nationalism.

If we are talking of Africans at the forefront of the fight against European imperialism and agitations for independence then Nnamdi Azikiwe was way in the front. What's the point of diminishing a person's legacy because he doesn't come from your ethnic group?
It's quite pathetic.

I've read Zik's Biography several times. I've done my home work well before engaging you in an argument. I've told you several times I'am not diminishing zik's influence but we just have to put the record straight.

I simply told you earlier zik was also influential but we have some african leaders that are more influential, well rooted in Pan-African movement and were known to be a relevant forces by the whites.
Here is the link to Pan-Africanism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Africanism.

I've read thoroughly several times and Zik's name was not mention.

Here is an Excerpt from the link:

Pan-African advocates include
leaders such as Haile Selassie, Julius
Kambarage Nyerere, Ahmed Sekou Toure,
Kwame Nkrumah and Muammar Gaddafi,
grassroots organizers such as Marcus
Garvey and Malcolm X, academics such as
W. E. B. Du Bois, and others in the diaspora.

Beside, Kwame Nkrumah brought the idea of Organization of African Unity (now the
African Union) was established in 1963 to
safeguard the sovereignty and territorial
integrity of its Member States and to
promote global relations within the
framework of the United Nations.

So you criteria for putting Zik at the fore front of Pan-Africanist is what I don't understand.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by PentiumProf: 12:15pm On Oct 20, 2016
Igboid:

Yes, the media is a strong weapon. Not understanding the importance of media in twisting the perception of masses by our pre civil war fore runners made us pay the ultimate price.

Never again would Yoruba lies be left unchallenged. Every bit of their falsehood must be debunked and exposed as blatant propaganda. It will not survive the scrutiny of the 21st century ICT age.
smiley cool
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:36pm On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

I've read Zik's Biography several times. I've done my home work well before engaging you in an argument. I've told you several times I'am not diminishing zik's influence but we just have to put the record straight.

I simply told you earlier zik was also influential but we have some african leaders that are more influential, well rooted in Pan-African movement and were known to be a relevant forces by the whites.
Here is the link to Pan-Africanism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Africanism.

I've read thoroughly several times and Zik's name was not mention.

Here is an Excerpt from the link:

Pan-African advocates include
leaders such as Haile Selassie, Julius
Kambarage Nyerere, Ahmed Sekou Toure,
Kwame Nkrumah and Muammar Gaddafi,
grassroots organizers such as Marcus
Garvey and Malcolm X, academics such as
W. E. B. Du Bois, and others in the diaspora.

Beside, Kwame Nkrumah brought the idea of Organization of African Unity (now the
African Union) was established in 1963 to
safeguard the sovereignty and territorial
integrity of its Member States and to
promote global relations within the
framework of the United Nations.

So you criteria for putting Zik at the fore front of Pan-Africanist is what I don't understand.
It's still pathetic that you keep looking for loopholes to confine his legacy to a particular level. Would you been fighting to do so if he was from your ethnic group?
A man has been credited by Colonialist,his Nation, his Contemporaries and African yet he sink so low to state he was not that good. Is this how bad Tribalism has overtaken Nigeria?
You wouldn't be struggling to undermine Azikiwe's legacies which resonate across Africa.
Azikiwe is the only Nigerian recognized by the international community as an African Nationalist and if you care to know,he was one of the principal converners of Pan African Conference in London, 1945 which drew black people from across the world. Today,people cannot talk about Nationalism,Anti colonial struggle and Pan African ideologies without a mention of Azikiwe.
Everything must not end up on Wikipedia. There are books and resources out there they must be utilized.
His journalism poweress took him to Ghana where he addressed Ghanaians to stand against colonialism. It was in Ghana that Nkrumah got inspired by Azikiwe's Pan African philosophies.
Through Azikiwe's guidiance, Nkrumah travelled to America for studies.
Azikiwe was not just a Pan African leader,his political philosophies inspired others to fight for independence. His work as a journalist equally sent him to prison and his Newspaper was suspended because the White men was afraid of this Igbo man that came to push them out of power. Yes, Azikiwe was at the front of Pan African Nationalism along with his contemporaries of that period.
I wouldn't return to this argument again seeing that you are only fighting because Azikiwe was an Igbo man.

4 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 12:55pm On Oct 20, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Now that you know that Azikiwe was one of foremost Pan African Nationalist,you need to explain what you mean by seasoned?
Or do you just use words that you can't define?
What could be more seasoned than a man that hustled to study in America when most of his African/Nigeria contemporaries had not set foot in America?
What could be more seasoned than a man that has Howard University, Lincoln University and Pennsylvania University as his Alma Mater?
What could be more seasoned than a man that earned his degree,masters and Phd in first class American Universities?
What could be more seasoned than a man that wrote articles for top Afro American newspapers and taught in their Universities?
What could be more seasoned than a man that published Newspapers that mentored folks and inspired the fight for independence in most parts of Africa?
His newspapers which he strategically established in different parts of Nigeria became the pricipal tool of stimulating Nigerian Nationalism and subsequently he was regarded as a Messanic symbol of Nigerian Nationhood and African Nationalism.
Learn to choose your words carefully,just because Azikiwe was not your Kinsmen doesn't mean you have the right to belittle his Legacies which are respected across Africa.
Bros being a Renown and Seasoned African Nationalist goes beyond attending First Class Universities or the strength of your media house. FFK attended first class universities, is he a renown African Nationalist ? The likes of Nelson Mandela, Gaddafi, Haile Seilassie, Patrice Lumumba, Keneth Kaunda etc. never attended first class universities but africans always regard them and put them at the forefront of African Nationalism. There are things those aforementioned men experienced that zik never took part

Firstly, Zik was lucky never to have experienced thorough and brutal oppression from the colonial masters before achieving his results . Most of the aforementioned men were brutally tortured and dealt with, some even lost their lives in the heat of the struggle, some were imprisoned for a long time, some even were killed after gaining their independence. Someone like Haile Selaisse brutally repelled the italians invasion to colonize Ethiopia and he won. Nkrumah was removed by a coup in conjunction with CIA. Lumumba was assassinated by the Americans and Belgians in which they later apologised. What it means is that Zik strength and Courage was never tested in the face of oppression and brutality! Nobody knows whether he would have succumbed to the whites.

Secondly, Zik never ruled his country though he forged an alliance with Balewa a Grade II teacher to become the Gov-General which was a ceremonial Post.

The Legendary Harold Smith said:

"We tricked Azikwe into accepting to
be president having known that Balewa will
be the main man with power. Awolowo has
to go to jail to cripple his genius plans for a
greater Nigeria".

It means Zik was never seen as the Number one figure in his country not to talk of Africa as a whole!

In conclusion zik is one of the best African nationalist but when it comes to greatness he has people at his front.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 1:07pm On Oct 20, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

It's still pathetic that you keep looking for loopholes to confine his legacy to a particular level. Would you been fighting to do so if he was from your ethnic group?
A man has been credited by Colonialist,his Nation, his Contemporaries and African yet he sink so low to state he was not that good. Is this how bad Tribalism has overtaken Nigeria?
You wouldn't be struggling to undermine Azikiwe's legacies which resonate across Africa.
Azikiwe is the only Nigerian recognized by the international community as an African Nationalist and if you care to know,he was one of the principal converners of Pan African Conference in London, 1945 which drew black people from across the world. Today,people cannot talk about Nationalism,Anti colonial struggle and Pan African ideologies without a mention of Azikiwe.
Everything must not end up on Wikipedia. There are books and resources out there they must be utilized.
His journalism poweress took him to Ghana where he addressed Ghanaians to stand against colonialism. It was in Ghana that Nkrumah got inspired by Azikiwe's Pan African philosophies.
Through Azikiwe's guidiance, Nkrumah travelled to America for studies.
Azikiwe was not just a Pan African leader,his political philosophies inspired others to fight for independence. His work as a journalist equally sent him to prison and his Newspaper was suspended because the White men was afraid of this Igbo man that came to push them out of power. Yes, Azikiwe was at the front of Pan African Nationalism along with his contemporaries of that period.
I wouldn't return to this argument again seeing that you are only fighting because Azikiwe was an Igbo man.

Bros you are still dribbling yourself like around maradona. You've repeated what you just wrote here several times. The issue you are having is: Simply because Azikwe is an IGBO MAN his influences, lifestyles, philosophies must no be debatable. Things are not done that way in the world of research; you bring your fact, I bring mine then we debate on it absent tribe and religion! But the problem is an average igbo man's argument is incomplete without incorporating tribe and religion. Did you see me include any yoruba man since the beginning of my argument on Zik even though there were Yorubas that were part of the pan-african struggle.

What I have been trying to tell you since is: it is unacceptable to make Azikwe the greatest african nationalist when we have the likes of Nelson Mandela, Gadaffi, Lumumba, Nkrumah, Kenyatta etc. And I've given you numerous reasons to back it up but you kept playing the tribal game. PEACE

4 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 1:10pm On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

Bros being a Renown and Seasoned African Nationalist goes beyond attending First Class Universities or the strength of your media house. FFK attended first class universities, is he a renown African Nationalist ? The likes of Nelson Mandela, Gaddafi, Haile Seilassie, Patrice Lumumba, Keneth Kaunda etc. never attended first class universities but africans always regard them and put them at the forefront of African Nationalism. There are things those aforementioned men experienced that zik never took part

Firstly, Zik was lucky never to have experienced thorough and brutal oppression from the colonial masters before achieving his results . Most of the aforementioned men were brutally tortured and dealt with, some even lost their lives in the heat of the struggle, some were imprisoned for a long time, some even were killed after gaining their independence. Someone like Haile Selaisse brutally repelled the italians invasion to colonize Ethiopia and he won. Nkrumah was removed by a coup in conjunction with CIA. Lumumba was assassinated by the Americans and Belgians in which they later apologised. What it means is that Zik strength and Courage was never tested in the face of oppression and brutality! Nobody knows whether he would have succumbed to the whites.

Secondly, Zik never ruled his country though he forged an alliance with Balewa a Grade II teacher to become the Gov-General which was a ceremonial Post.

greater Nigeria".

It means Zik was never seen as the Number one figure in his country not to talk of Africa as a whole!

In conclusion zik is one of the best African nationalist but when it comes to greatness he has people at his front.
I don't understand why you keep comparing countries that had to shed a little blood with Nigeria??
Nigeria's agitations for independence was not as torturous and painful like what was found in other African countries.
Does an individual have to wounded,shed blood and beaten to stupor before he will be hailed a hero?
Violence is out of the equation if one can use his brain and pen to motivate people with the right Political thought and beliefs,and that is what Azikiwe did.
He didn't have to fall back on violence and demonstrations to call people to action. Even at that, Azikiwe was imprisoned for Months by the colonialist for inspiring Sedition and Anti colonial struggles.
His published works got into the right hands and they acted accordingly.
There is no point undermining who has already been credited as far as Nigerian and African Nationalism is concerned. Your argument against it is already inconsequential as you write.

If he was deceived then blame it on the white man who knew it was best to leave power in the hands of Northern Nigerian to serve an ulterior motive.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 1:16pm On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

greater Nigeria".

If your definition of a seasoned Nationalist mean Brutalized,beaten and scorned then you got it all wrong.

A seasoned Nationalist is an inspiring figure that can harness what his has for actualization of a course. If it turns bloody along the way then the colonialist are to blame.
People agitating for their right musr not be brutalized to be heroes,that is an African mentality.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by saintdennis(m): 1:17pm On Oct 20, 2016
Igboid:

How exactly did Zik force the North into Nigeria project? With what Army was he able to effect this coercion? When did this forcefull annexation of the North into Nigeria take place? What's the name of the war? [/b]Who were the [b]leaders of the Armies involved?

I await your answers. cool

Silly questions I expect from secondary students.

Feel free to go online & do ur research (tip: start from enahoro 1953 independence motion)

I only engage mature people in discussions of this nature.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 1:26pm On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

Bros you are still dribbling yourself like around maradona. You've repeated what you just wrote here several times. The issue you are having is: Simply because Azikwe is an IGBO MAN his influences, lifestyles, philosophies must no be debatable. Things are not done that way in the world of research; you bring your fact, I bring mine then we debate on it absent tribe and religion! But the problem is an average igbo man's argument is incomplete without incorporating tribe and religion. Did you see me include any yoruba man since the beginning of my argument on Zik even though there were Yorubas that were part of the pan-african struggle.

What I have been trying to tell you since is: it is unacceptable to make Azikwe the greatest african nationalist when we have the likes of Nelson Mandela, Gadaffi, Lumumba, Nkrumah, Kenyatta etc. And I've given you numerous reasons to back it up but you kept playing the tribal game. PEACE
Kindly show me where i called Azikiwe the Greatest African Nationalist?? I've maintained that he was at the forefront of the Pan African Movement as can be seen in his enduring legacies in Africa and participation in the Pan African Movement.
Why are you drawing inferences when i've not written such?
I gave different explanations of Azikiwe's anti colonial legacy and Pan African ideologies that motivated the likes of Nkrumah yet you keep undermining him because he is Igbo and unworthy to be celebrated like his mates.
Irrespective of what you say, where the rest of names are mentioned, Azikiwe always stand boldily inbetween.

Fortunately,you are the one that keep playing the Tribal game. Well,keep playing because Azikiwe is not seeking for your validations. The international community has already credited him.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 1:28pm On Oct 20, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Zik of Africa was not an igbo coinage biko. Lwkmd.

And before zik became anything influential, igbos were already doing well in all sectors and in all regions.
Was there anything like zik/balewa union in the 30s, 40s? Yes, zik was instrumental in unn and Niger Bridge, not giving igbos free education or employments.
Stop consoling yourselves. Merit and competence supersedes everything.

After the war, the same Yorubas you called competent crippled our nationalized assets and corporations.
So you mean Yorubas were not doing well before independence ? Was taking ur argument serious b4 but this one made me believe you've been blinded by bigotry! FYI yorubas were already running big companies b4 independence, companies like Eleganza, Okin Biscuit, Alabukun etc. Infact a yoruba man (I forgot his name) that tym was the first to start automobile importation business in nigeria. Or I guess the Niger Delta were feeding us that tym ?

And why did AZIKIWE wrote Britain to accuse awolowo of treason awolowo wanted to include right to secede in our constitution ? They should not have been plan to include secession if we were not dependent and doing well in our region.

Then you said Yorubas crippled national asset after the war: now I challenge you to provide evidence by listing the names of yorubas that crippled national asset. Remember you've asked for evidence several times and I've given you. Waiting for yours.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Igboid: 1:35pm On Oct 20, 2016
saintdennis:

Silly questions I expect from secondary students.

Feel free to go online & do ur research (tip: start from enahoro 1953 independence motion)

I only engage mature people in discussions of this nature.

You are the silly one here.

You said they Zik "forced" the North into the Nigeria union. The onus is on you to provide details on the type of force Zik wielded on them to coerce them forcefully against their wishes into the union.

Your failure to do so, but instead resorting to ad hominem, underlie your intellectual laziness.

Spare me the trash talk next time. Thanks.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 1:37pm On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

So you mean Yorubas were not doing well before independence ? Was taking ur argument serious b4 but this one made me believe you've been blinded by bigotry! FYI yorubas were already running big companies b4 independence, companies like Eleganza, Okin Biscuit, Alabukun etc. Infact a yoruba man (I forgot his name) that tym was the first to start automobile importation business in nigeria. Or I guess the Niger Delta were feeding us that tym ?

And why did AZIKIWE wrote Britain to accuse awolowo of treason awolowo wanted to include right to secede in our constitution ? They should not have been plan to include secession if we were not dependent and doing well in our region.

Then you said Yorubas crippled national asset after the war: now I challenge you to provide evidence by listing the names of yorubas that crippled national asset. Remember you've asked for evidence several times and I've given you. Waiting for yours.
Who said Yorubas were not doing well pre independence? Didn't you just write that you are not playing the tribal game. That's incredible.
The earliest submission is that Igbos quite literate before independence and secured a lot of employment with the colonial administration. The earliest public servants irrespective of tribe all got there by merit.
So how did you drag your Yoruba into this? When people want to give kudos to their forerunners you jump in and accuse them of not mentioning your tribe?
Pathetic.

4 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by saintdennis(m): 1:41pm On Oct 20, 2016
Igboid:

You are the silly one here.

You said they Zik "forced" the North into the Nigeria union. The onus is on you to provide details on the type of force Zik wielded on them to coerce them forcefully against their wishes into the union.

Your failure to do so, but instead resorting to ad hominem, underlie your intellectual laziness.

Spare me the trash talk next time. Thanks.

Ignorance is bliss... if u think coercion exclusively involves armies or war then what do I have to discuss with u?

If u don't know what caused the kano. Riots and the northerners threat to secede and what azikiwe did after then WTF am I to discuss with u?

When u have learnt how to structure questions... I will engage you. Bye

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Igboid: 1:52pm On Oct 20, 2016
saintdennis:

Ignorance is bliss... if u think coercion exclusively involves armies or war then what do I have to discuss with u?

If u don't know what caused the kano. Riots and the northerners threat to secede and what azikiwe did after then WTF am I to discuss with u?

When u have learnt how to structure questions... I will engage you. Bye

Still talking trash. Now let me put it in simple way.

In what manner did Zik coerce/force the North into the Nigerian union.

What methods did he use.

This time around, I want your answer in bullets. I'm waiting.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by SRK1(m): 1:55pm On Oct 20, 2016
Great post.

On a side note, I need an ebook ghostwriter for a COOL project. The ghostwriter will get a GOOD pay. And I could introduce the interested person to other HIGHLY profitable businesses.

Contact me at: yourwriter01@gmail.com.

Can't wait to meet you and start working with you!
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by MrGerald(m): 3:24pm On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:
As a true Nwafo Igbo I am often perplexed whenever I read/hear my Ummuna brothers refer to Nnamdi Azikiwe as a Hero. For those who do not know; Nnamdi Azikiwe betrayed we Igbos. He was the one that composed the Biafran National Anthem, but ironically, during the heat of the Biafran civil war, Azikiwe ran away from Biafra. He defected to Nigeria and supported the Nigerian governemnt in the killing of his own Biafran people.

Obafemi Awolowo's free education policy amongst many others is an achievement the Yoruba's can regard to as the legacy of the defunct Western region; what can we Igbos point to as Nnamdi Azikiwe's achievment in the eastern region? Nothing !!

For those who do not know; prior to the 1950's, Nnamdi Azikiwe left Igboland, he went to Yorubaland and greedily fought both tooth and nail to become the leader of the western regional house of assembly at Ibadan. Awolowo's political party, A.G defeated Azikiwe's NCNC and disgracefully chased him back to Igboland. When he came back to Alaigbo what did he do for we Igbos? Nothing!! This particular university we are beating our chest about was built many years after more than five generation of Yoruba's had been going to the University in England. Even Chinua Achebe the greatest academia in Igboland had his own university education in Yorubaland at the University College of Ibadan
Ofenmanu, so you can't still respect the greatest Nigerian that ever lived, the founder of your nation even at death? you're damned!!
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by T9ksy(m): 6:03pm On Oct 20, 2016
caracas:

Big lie ,zik never tried to introduce free education in the east. Ahmedo Bello tried to do it in the North but failed.
Zik was more interested in qualitative education than the quantitative one that free education offered.
In any case the ppl of the east cud afford the quality education n those who cudnt were helped by their families,communities n well to do individuals through scholarship schemes.
Thus the igbos were rapidly getting educated to the chagrin of Awolowo,who now decided to introduce the free education to the yorubas ,(who then were not really interested in education )So as to challenge the igbos .

Sorry to say, but you do sound like a kid with above quote, in bold.

The feat achieved by the Western Region in terms of the UPE led the Eastern Region to embark upon its own 8 years free education scheme. Thus, [b]in February 1957, the universal primary education scheme was launched in the Eastern Region using the fire-brigade approach. [/b]The government started the programme without adequate planning; thus, the needed finances for thorough execution were grossly inadequate. Summarily put by Oni (2008), almost everything, except the pupils, was absent. Unfortunately, due to pressure and lack of time for proper preparation, the schools were staffed by untrained teachers, therefore of low quality. The programme failed in just 1 year of its implementation (Oni, 2008).

Source======http://www.medwelljournals.com/fulltext/?doi=sscience.2009.636.643
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by remiotega: 6:11pm On Oct 20, 2016
Uchenduin:

wats wrong wt u?
Female private tutor on wat?other room?,recession? Whch one?

I think something is seriously wrong with u. Stuffs you wouldn't dare say to people when u meet them one on one ,you hide behind ur cheap keyboard to spit out silly questions.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by T9ksy(m): 6:48pm On Oct 20, 2016
PentiumProf:

Go and read your history books
The igbos were killed in 1953 for protecting akintola and his fellow yorubas

Here, Mallam Inua Wada, a former Federal Minister and an honourable man, recalls: “It was the booing and jeering experienced by the Northern members of parliament at the hands of Lagos crowds in Lagos”. So, on Saturday, 16th May 1953, despite the fact that Chief Akintola team’s did not even turn up, red-eyed organised mobs and hoodlums went into action and killed innocent citizens from the South, especially those from the Eastern part of the country. One glaring point to note here says the Justice Onyiuke’s report, is, the use of government machinery to perpetuate and escalate the dastardly act. The Native Authority agents, who were supposed to protect the people, became agents of death.

Source=======http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/jos-riot-and-the-dead-mans-footsteps/

1945 jos riot nko? Were the ibos also protecting Akintola, ni when the hausa/fulani mob set upon them with gusto?
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by PentiumProf: 7:03pm On Oct 20, 2016
T9ksy:

1945 jos riot nko? Were the ibos also protecting Akintola, ni when the hausa/fulani mob set upon them with gusto?
I was talking about the 1953 riots not the 45 riots
I took your other moniker down the memory lane
since you claimed that the events of the Kano riots never existed
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by T9ksy(m): 9:09pm On Oct 20, 2016
PentiumProf:

I was talking about the 1953 riots not the 45 riots
I took your other moniker down the memory lane
since you claimed that the events of the Kano riots never existed

And did you peruse the source i provided? I guess not.

The fact of the matter is, you lied when you claimed........... "The action group members were attacked by the Kano mob. The igbo traders that tried protecting the action group leaders were killed " .

Akintola and his team didn't even appear in Kano so how were the ibos defending the former when the northerners descended on the latter in the Sabon gari, they were confined to, slaughtering them at will?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dele Momodu, His Wife And Children In Family Selfie / Buhari Vs Atiku: Ben Nwabueze Storms Court In Wheelchair To Represent Atiku / Father Mbaka Says Jonathan Is Surrounded By Corrupt Officials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.