Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. (38814 Views)

Rochas Okorocha Visits Site Of Collapsed Building In Owerri (Photos) / Orji Uzor Kalu At University Of Nigeria, Nsukka, Gyrating With Kegites Club / The Proposed 4TH Mainland Bridge & Masterplan In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by 9japride(m): 6:00am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:
As a true Nwafo Igbo I am often perplexed whenever I read/hear my Ummuna brothers refer to Nnamdi Azikiwe as a Hero. For those who do not know; Nnamdi Azikiwe betrayed we Igbos. He was the one that composed the Biafran National Anthem, but ironically, during the heat of the Biafran civil war, Azikiwe ran away from Biafra. He defected to Nigeria and supported the Nigerian governemnt in the killing of his own Biafran people.

Obafemi Awolowo's free education policy amongst many others is an achievement the Yoruba's can regard to as the legacy of the defunct Western region; what can we Igbos point to as Nnamdi Azikiwe's achievment in the eastern region? Nothing !!

For those who do not know; prior to the 1950's, Nnamdi Azikiwe left Igboland, he went to Yorubaland and greedily fought both tooth and nail to become the leader of the western regional house of assembly at Ibadan. Awolowo's political party, A.G defeated Azikiwe's NCNC and disgracefully chased him back to Igboland. When he came back to Alaigbo what did he do for we Igbos? Nothing!! This particular university we are beating our chest about was built many years after more than five generation of Yoruba's had been going to the University in England. Even Chinua Achebe the greatest academia in Igboland had his own university education in Yorubaland at the University College of Ibadan
[color=#006600][/color]

I don't regard Nnamdi as a hero, he so much believe in one Nigeria for his own selfish desire. Ojukwu is more respected in Igbo land.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Mujaheeeden: 6:04am On Oct 20, 2016
Raph01:
an igbo brought about 1 Nigeria, then a f**lish igbo wants many Nigeria... Okay, Igbos Kwantinu! Good job
you don't abuse igbos when you are selling things online
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by PentiumProf: 6:08am On Oct 20, 2016
walosky:
Sorry, I guees UNN wasnt d first University but Ibadan was. Peeps are my right?
Did you skip the part where I mentioned indeginous
Read before commenting

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 6:11am On Oct 20, 2016
ofwest47:
You these Igbos or as Zik renamed them * I Before Others * if you don't the Yoruba nation had always been far ahead of I Before Others from inception till date:
1_ which region started the free primary education in Nigeria as far back as 1955,_the Western Region although Zik tried it in 1957 but could not continue by 1959.
2_ which region had the first television station in Africa even when some other European countries had never dreamt of having one __ the Western region under the able leadership of Baba Awo.
3_ which region had the first international stadium in the entire Africa the answer is, The Western Region if any IBO man could recollect the two world boxing championship games one by Hogan king Bassey and the other by Dick Tiger in 1963 Zik was in Ibadan to watch the games
Remember, the Liberty stadium 1st in Africa also hosted the under 17 world championship game in 1979 all these were happening in the West under Papa Awolowo.
4__ The first tallest building in Africa the 25 floors cocoa house is in Ibadan in the Yoruba national headquarters.
5__ Zik it was said initiated the building of Nssuka University while Awo did the same thing at Ife now Obafemi Awolowo University, in comparison where did they say Awolowo built private hostels within the campus for the purpose of exploiting the students non at all, unlike Zik who built quite a number of hostels within the university campus for profit gains; the private hostels are still there till date.
If not for greedy IBO domination the restructuring we are now crying for today would have become a thing of the past if Zik and their Hausa/IBO domination had allowed the creation of the then Calabar_Ogoja_river state now Niger_ Delta as they allowed the creation of the Mid_West from the then Western region but disallowed the creation of the Benue_Plateau from the then Northern region as recommended by Awolowo ( see Awo's Thought to Nigeria constitution 1945 ) but for greediness and dominations at all costs of Hausa/ IBO coalition we would not have found our selves in the mess we are into today
In the entire country today which region allows the influx of other tribes besides the Yoruba nation.
^THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIA.
We are not here to make comparisons between Eastern and Western Nigeria because everything you've listed all vestiges of the Colonialist which they in turn use in mocking Africans. We are here to talk about Azikiwe,a detribalized Nigerian and first symbol of Pan African Nationalism in Nigeria who helped to bring higher institution close to his people.
I think this topic has been hijacked by folks that find it difficult to celebrate people that don't come from their tribes thereby making a joke of people's achievements and legacies.
Pls we are not here to compare who the White men gave a school first. If you may like to know,UNN is the first indigenious Nigerian University and after the war, people from the West and North applied to gain admission into it because they wanted to study under those lecturers that manufacture bombs and weapons.
This comparison is getting boring,there is no basis for it.

3 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Egunje: 6:11am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:
As a true Nwafo Igbo I am often perplexed whenever I read/hear my Ummuna brothers refer to Nnamdi Azikiwe as a Hero. For those who do not know; Nnamdi Azikiwe betrayed we Igbos. He was the one that composed the Biafran National Anthem, but ironically, during the heat of the Biafran civil war, Azikiwe ran away from Biafra. He defected to Nigeria and supported the Nigerian governemnt in the killing of his own Biafran people.

Obafemi Awolowo's free education policy amongst many others is an achievement the Yoruba's can regard to as the legacy of the defunct Western region; what can we Igbos point to as Nnamdi Azikiwe's achievment in the eastern region? Nothing !!

For those who do not know; prior to the 1950's, Nnamdi Azikiwe left Igboland, he went to Yorubaland and greedily fought both tooth and nail to become the leader of the western regional house of assembly at Ibadan. Awolowo's political party, A.G defeated Azikiwe's NCNC and disgracefully chased him back to Igboland. When he came back to Alaigbo what did he do for we Igbos? Nothing!! This particular university we are beating our chest about was built many years after more than five generation of Yoruba's had been going to the University in England. Even Chinua Achebe the greatest academia in Igboland had his own university education in Yorubaland at the University College of Ibadan

BRO THIS SAME ZIK U DETEST WAS THE ONE WHO MADE SO MANY IBO MEN RICH BY GIVING THEM LOANS WITHOUT INTEREST AND COLATARAL. BENEFICIARIES OF HIS LOAN INCLUDE , SIR LOIS OJUKWU(RICHEST MAN IN AFRICA) ABC NWODU(ABC TRANSPORT) MANY. OJUKWUS FATHER STOOD AS A WITNESS AND A SURETY TO ZIK. MY LOVELY ZIK.

AWOLOWO GAVE HIS PEOPLE FREE EDUCATION,ZIK GAVE US QUALITY EDUVATION. ROCHAS THE GOVERNOR OF IMO STATE GAVE FREE EDUCATION TO HIS PEOPLE AND EVEN NOW NOTHING GOOD HAS COME OUT OF IMO STATE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM. PETER OBI(THEN GOVERNOR OF ANAMBARA STATE) GAVE HIS PEOPLE QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE EDUCATION, ANANMBRA WERE BEST IN WAEC EXAMS FOR THREE YEARS CONSECUTIVELY AND WAS RATED BEST IN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM. BRO U SEE SAY AWUF D RUN BELLE. JUDGE FOR YOUR SELF WHO IS GREATER?. I WOULD RATHER BE A ZIKIST THAN AN AWOIST OR ROCHIST.I LOVE U ZIEK.

4 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 20, 2016
Please don't make racist and tribalistic comments on this section
I wonder why they bother to write that warning boldly yet comments of such nature is all I see everywhere angry
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 6:35am On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

No one is diminishing Zik's influence but comparing him with the likes of patrice lumumba that belgium and U.S.A became so scared of him that they had to plot his assassination, even the great Malcom X declared Patrice Lumumba "the greatest
black man who ever walked the African
continent" or you wanna compare zik with Nkrumah that told the likes of world bank, IMF to go to hell or Kenneth Kaunda that fought with his last blood to free zambia etc. Bros Azikwe's influence can never be compared with those seasoned men.

Here is a link to 1945 Pan-African congress held in manchester that was graced by powerful african leaders and Zik was missing.

www.aaprp-intl.org/taxonomy/term/81
Oh Chim. Why not read Azikiwe's biography before writing these things? By 1945, Azikiwe had just joined his first party and was still printing his Newspaper to fight colonialism and Western imperialism which influenced Political consciousness amongst Nigerians and Africans.
Nigerian's struggle for independence was not as Radical and violent as other nations so there was no reason to carry arms against White men. The pen is mightier than the sword.
Azikiwe's newspapers galvanised people into agitating for independence. Azikiwe on his own was a mentor to Nkurmah because Zik's beliefs inspired him and increased his belief in African Nationalism.

If we are talking of Africans at the forefront of the fight against European imperialism and agitations for independence then Nnamdi Azikiwe was way in the front. What's the point of diminishing a person's legacy because he doesn't come from your ethnic group?
It's quite pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 20, 2016
Etern:

This story of betrayal is getting boring. Zik is one of Nigeria's founding fathers. No one destroys his own family. He cannot be involved in the discussion of the dissolution of his family. Ojukwu betrayed/disobeyed his own father by declaring war which ultimately led to the death of Louis Ojukwu. Zik gave the Igbo political identity in Nigeria. Yes Zik had to leave the east because Ojukwu has already started jailing people of contrary opinions. What do you mean by "greedily fought"? He and his party were simply popular everywhere. He would have been the Premier if Awolowo had not played the ethnic card. If I may ask what have you done for your region? Why is your name not known like that of the Great Zik of Africa?
ojukwu declared biafra after over 20000 of his kinsmen where slaughtered in weeks in the north with the collusion of the military .Thats what any sensible leader would do.why are we eager to stone him when we igbos are antagonising the enugu state government for not doing anything in the face of the Fulani herdsmen massacre? .
it's on record that ojukwu was mandated to take that action as the highest surviving igbo officer after a meeting with the igbo leaders. his only shortcoming was his gullibility in believing the Europeans would forfeit financial gain to stand for what is right and also thinking the Yoruba's would fight with us. in our comparism of this two great igbo men, it essential we don't vilify one to promote another.
ojukwu was a bullish young military officer who didn't understand why a country he served diligently (he along with ironsi defeated the first coup) would now gang up against his people. Azikiwe on the other hand, was a fantastic politician. what ever relevance we play in today's politics as a nation was as a result of his supposed defection when it became apparent that, biafra wouldn't survive. He knew how dirty the game was played and he played his last card.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Damjoy(m): 7:18am On Oct 20, 2016
MXrep:

University college London, Ibadan campus. Teaching London curriculum and awarding London degree. We build a university before you. ESUT is also the first state university, Madonna is also the first private university

Are those universities you mentioned still functional?

Are they actually worth calling a UNIVERSITY?
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Damjoy(m): 7:22am On Oct 20, 2016
DozieInc:
Before independence the Eastern region had the highest literacy rate, that was why after independence Easterners were able to occupy the top positions in most gov't parastatalls and flourished in the era of meritocracy.

ZIK was among his peers the only one that actively promoted the 'one Nigeria' and the unification of the North and South, he coined the phrase 'one Nigeria'

Did you know the level of rot Zik and his co-easterners brought into the system?
Do you know that the most corrupt Nigerians both past and present were EASTERNERS?

I challenge you to read the British Secret Files on the first bloody coup in Nigeria...

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by nwabobo: 7:26am On Oct 20, 2016
desire19a:

[size=28pt]correction, that is 1959[/size]

Is 1959 not 1950's?

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by monex(m): 7:32am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:

Yoruba troll lol !!!

why do trolls always use this format for name and surname.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 7:33am On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

No one is diminishing Zik's influence but comparing him with the likes of patrice lumumba that belgium and U.S.A became so scared of him that they had to plot his assassination, even the great Malcom X declared Patrice Lumumba "the greatest
black man who ever walked the African
continent" or you wanna compare zik with Nkrumah that told the likes of world bank, IMF to go to hell or Kenneth Kaunda that fought with his last blood to free zambia etc. Bros Azikwe's influence can never be compared with those seasoned men.

Here is a link to 1945 Pan-African congress held in manchester that was graced by powerful african leaders and Zik was missing.

www.aaprp-intl.org/taxonomy/term/81
Now that you know that Azikiwe was one of foremost Pan African Nationalist,you need to explain what you mean by seasoned?
Or do you just use words that you can't define?
What could be more seasoned than a man that hustled to study in America when most of his African/Nigeria contemporaries had not set foot in America?
What could be more seasoned than a man that has Howard University, Lincoln University and Pennsylvania University as his Alma Mater?
What could be more seasoned than a man that earned his degree,masters and Phd in first class American Universities?
What could be more seasoned than a man that wrote articles for top Afro American newspapers and taught in their Universities?
What could be more seasoned than a man that published Newspapers that mentored folks and inspired the fight for independence in most parts of Africa?
His newspapers which he strategically established in different parts of Nigeria became the pricipal tool of stimulating Nigerian Nationalism and subsequently he was regarded as a Messanic symbol of Nigerian Nationhood and African Nationalism.
Learn to choose your words carefully,just because Azikiwe was not your Kinsmen doesn't mean you have the right to belittle his Legacies which are respected across Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 7:40am On Oct 20, 2016
Damjoy:

Are those universities you mentioned still functional?

Are they actually worth calling a UNIVERSITY?
Yes both Esut and Madonna are functional universities. Don't be so blinded by hate and tribalism in such a way that you spew rubbish and make a mess of yourself.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Gassa007: 7:42am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:
Meanwhile, Chinua Achebe the greatest academia from Igboland, could not attend a University in Igboland, he had his tertiary education at the University College of Ibadan. Even Ikemba, Ojukwu had his secondary education at Kings College Lagos.
Can someone just shut this Afonja

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 20, 2016
ok

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 7:49am On Oct 20, 2016
Damjoy:

Did you know the level of rot Zik and his co-easterners brought into the system?
Do you know that the most corrupt Nigerians both past and present were EASTERNERS?

I challenge you to read the British Secret Files on the first bloody coup in Nigeria...

Yes, because Babangida, Abacha, Festus Okotie Eboh, Jibrin, Oladimeji Bankole, T Y Danjuma, Sule Lamido, Ibori, Alamieyesigha and Buratai are all Igbos.
By now,the average Nigerian knows the most corrupt group of people in Nigeria. Definitely not the people that started with 20 pounds.

3 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Raph01: 7:52am On Oct 20, 2016
Mujaheeeden:
you don't abuse igbos when you are selling things online
warriz diz wan sayin'?? Wetin concern igbos and wetin I dey sell... Oga swerve jor!

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Akaujaa(m): 8:12am On Oct 20, 2016
...and it turned out to be my alma mater.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Akaujaa(m): 8:19am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:

Oga, Zik is gone without doing anything for the Igbos according to you, we agree, but I think you should be telling us what you are now doing to be greater and do better for the Igbos than Zik himself.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 20, 2016
Tok

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Igboid: 8:44am On Oct 20, 2016
saintdennis:

U forget to mention his first major error... FORCING THE NORTH TO BE PART OF AN INDEPENDENT NIGERIA.

The north NEVER wanted anything to do with the south, azikiwe toasted, coerced and ultimately sent UK messages to compel the north to be part of the marriage.

Today ironically igbos want to divorce but the north like a lazy housewife with no prospects for financial buoyancy after divorce vehemently refuses lols.

ok obafemi awolowo wanted to include right to secede in our constitution AZIKIWE wrote Britain to accuse awolowo of treason.

Those 2 grave errors are still affecting us southerners till this day.

B4 u mention azikiwe how bout ojukwu who was rewarded with chieftaincy title for his cowardice.

--in btw i'm pro-nigeria.

How exactly did Zik force the North into Nigeria project? With what Army was he able to effect this coercion? When did this forcefull annexation of the North into Nigeria take place? What's the name of the war? Who were the leaders of the Armies involved?

I await your answers. cool

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 8:52am On Oct 20, 2016
shigothang:

That's the truth .The west were denied some chances due their their level of exposure before th indepndence .

The british planned a designed a country tO favor and rule by the north ,while the east supports them.

The first VC of Ibadan coming from the east is the plan to give the east a stake ( the cath up pan to meet up with the west).

There wre plans to make other regions to catch up woith western nigeria ,and that's why federal character was introduced ,so otheer tribs an meet and we ve a balanced country .

You can read the confession of Harold smith on lies about population!how the west were denied numbers.

Even the pominent Ijaw activist Joseph Evah, was said ther wre plans in nigeria to make other troibes cath up the with west ,which is paying off.

I think the advantage the Ibos ve more than other tribes,its bcuz they have a large population compare to opther tribes,so its visible to notice they are catching up and are ready to dominate but I don't think th west are dozing .

You forgot that Ajayi Crowder played a vital role in the lives of all ibo man, and most of their elites schooled here and leanrt alot from us ,they even dress like us,evolving through our cultural practices and developing a western orientation.

Wheen u talk of industrialist,the west lead and others follow(the okin biscuit,alabukun's and others) in this area and still churning out more ,though the ibo are really trying in the area .
There was a programme on tv years back ,on NTA ,hosted by a lady from eastern part or the S south (Hallmark of Labour) . Its a show to celebrate those who contributed to nigeria's development from different sectors. Its was a very good and well commended ,the programme attest to the fat on how thw west dominated and plaeyd a vital role in all sectors of Nigeria's existence but from the public and private setors of the entity .

That's fact is the west leads ,while others follows but amongst the followers,one is angry ,focus and playing a smart game to lead. To me ,I see this a normal thing.Its a welcome motive to me,it will wake us up ,if we can only havea resource control and self rule.

Imagine a east with a mordern rgional capital that ink the west and south to the north via a 21st century railway .

God bless us all.
Thanks for the insight bro. It was obvious the east really wanted to catch up with the west then that was why Zik copied Awo's free education policy in the west and tried to implement it in the east but it failed woefully, even I remember how Prof. Pat Utomi and Prof. Charles Soludo talked about how Zik free education policy failed woefully in the east and also commended administrative prowess of Awo that made him able to maintain his free education policy.

5 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Igboid: 9:07am On Oct 20, 2016
shigothang:

That's the truth .The west were denied some chances due their their level of exposure before th indepndence .

The british planned a designed a country tO favor and rule by the north ,while the east supports them.

The first VC of Ibadan coming from the east is the plan to give the east a stake ( the cath up pan to meet up with the west).

There wre plans to make other regions to catch up woith western nigeria ,and that's why federal character was introduced ,so otheer tribs an meet and we ve a balanced country .

You can read the confession of Harold smith on lies about population!how the west were denied numbers.

Even the pominent Ijaw activist Joseph Evah, was said ther wre plans in nigeria to make other troibes cath up the with west ,which is paying off.

I think the advantage the Ibos ve more than other tribes,its bcuz they have a large population compare to opther tribes,so its visible to notice they are catching up and are ready to dominate but I don't think th west are dozing .

You forgot that Ajayi Crowder played a vital role in the lives of all ibo man, and most of their elites schooled here and leanrt alot from us ,they even dress like us,evolving through our cultural practices and developing a western orientation.

Wheen u talk of industrialist,the west lead and others follow(the okin biscuit,alabukun's and others) in this area and still churning out more ,though the ibo are really trying in the area .
There was a programme on tv years back ,on NTA ,hosted by a lady from eastern part or the S south (Hallmark of Labour) . Its a show to celebrate those who contributed to nigeria's development from different sectors. Its was a very good and well commended ,the programme attest to the fat on how thw west dominated and plaeyd a vital role in all sectors of Nigeria's existence but from the public and private setors of the entity .

That's fact is the west leads ,while others follows but amongst the followers,one is angry ,focus and playing a smart game to lead. To me ,I see this a normal thing.Its a welcome motive to me,it will wake us up ,if we can only havea resource control and self rule.

Imagine a east with a mordern rgional capital that ink the west and south to the north via a 21st century railway .

God bless us all.

Same old delusional rantings with no statistical documented back ups.
Just mere falsehoods passed from one Afonja generation to the next.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by PentiumProf: 9:08am On Oct 20, 2016
[quote author=Omololu007 post=50347600][/quote]
I was expecting you to counter the facts that I presented to you
Are you too lazy to consult your history book
Afonja bigot

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by caracas: 9:09am On Oct 20, 2016
T9ksy:

My bad................of course na, afterall every ibo man is a millionaire! grin

It will interest you to know that zik did try to implement free education in the Eastern region after Awo's in the western region but fell flat on his within a year upon the realization that he just can't raise the requisite levy to fund the venture.

Anyway, my initial post was in response to another poster who claimed that ibos invested heavily in education in the 50's.
Big lie ,zik never tried to introduce free education in the east. Ahmedo Bello tried to do it in the North but failed.
Zik was more interested in qualitative education than the quantitative one that free education offered.
In any case the ppl of the east cud afford the quality education n those who cudnt were helped by their families,communities n well to do individuals through scholarship schemes.
Thus the igbos were rapidly getting educated to the chagrin of Awolowo,who now decided to introduce the free education to the yorubas ,(who then were not really interested in education )So as to challenge the igbos .

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by PentiumProf: 9:14am On Oct 20, 2016
caracas:

Big lie ,zik never tried to introduce free education in the east Ahmedo Bello did but failed.
Zik was more interested in qualitative education than the quantitative one that free education offered.
In any case the ppl of the east cud afford the quality education n those who cudnt were helped by their families,communities n well to do individuals through scholarship schemes.
Thus the igbos were rapidly getting educated to the chagrin of Awolowo,who now decided to introduce the free education to the yorubas ,(who then were not really interested in education )So as to challenge the igbos .
These people that call themselves the afonjas irritates me
They know the truth but can't admit it
Everything you posted is true
Afonjas in a million generations can never attain the level of progress recorded by igbos in education

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 20, 2016
=ok

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 9:24am On Oct 20, 2016
shigothang:

They move to every part of nigeria bcuz of survival not by choice,sine home wasn't viable for business ,you out to look for where there is purchasing power.

Its like when u see an european heading towards east afria,he's probably going for tourisim but when u see one in nigeria ,he's here strictly for bizz .
Sorry, we are talking about the tribalistic before independence. Why not pick up and read a book on the history of Pre independence Nigeria,it will change your perception about Nigeria.
Study it without ethnic sensibilities and point out where igbos were tribalistic from the days of yore. I'm waiting.
On the other hand, Igbos have been targets of violence and ethno-religious hostilites before independence.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:27am On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

Let's start from the three igbo academicians appointed by Zik as VC in SW university because you said it was by merit and no yoruba man was qualified. So were they appointed by the white men ? Who also appointed Jaja Wachukwu Foreign affiars minister ?, Aja Nwachukwu education minister ? I guess the whitemen appointed them too ? Who made Aguiyi Ironsi chief of Army staff ? White man ? The list is endless bro.
The dumb idea that zik made igbos dominate teaching /lecturing, other civil service, army, home and foreign trade, industries, education, can only be borne by Yorubas out of consolation.
Even before zik became anything, igbos were like that. So, where is your zik nonsense coming from?

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by PentiumProf: 9:33am On Oct 20, 2016
Igboid:

Same old delusional rantings with no statistical documented back ups.
Just mere falsehoods passed from one Afonja generation to the next.
These guys don't tire me
They are full of falsehood
Not long ago i watched a documentary on the jan 1966 coup
The documentary was aired on tvc which is owned by drug dealer tinubu
I stopped watching the programme because of how they twisted the story to favour them
One of the problems facing ndi igbo is that we do not control the print and electronic media
Because of this the afonja people have the advantage of twisting history to favour them
Our wealthy sons need to invest in the media
The media is a powerful means of disseminating information

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:38am On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

Bros which consolation are you talking about ? I keep giving you fact to affirm how Zik and Balewa populated the civil service, ministries with their alliance and you are here saying consolation. Balewa had to danced top Zik's tune coz hausas were less educated then and their political partner which are the igbos are better off academically so they needed them to run the affairs. Yorubas were doing well academically and churning out seasoned academicians but majority of them are Awoist which made never never to be considered by Zik and Balewa. The question I'm still asking you is are you saying there were no qualified yoruba academicians in the west before Zik-Balewa decided to choose igbo academicians as SW university VCs ? I guess that was the bedrock of our argument.

So you said no success was associated to Zik and your folks has been euologizing Zik for given them UNN and Niger Bridge inclusive.

So bros becos Zik fans in nigeria added the word "Africa" to his name so that made him greater than the lumubas, kenyattas, nkrumahs etc.

Zik of Africa was not an igbo coinage biko. Lwkmd.

And before zik became anything influential, igbos were already doing well in all sectors and in all regions.
Was there anything like zik/balewa union in the 30s, 40s? Yes, zik was instrumental in unn and Niger Bridge, not giving igbos free education or employments.
Stop consoling yourselves. Merit and competence supersedes everything.

After the war, the same Yorubas you called competent crippled our nationalized assets and corporations.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Impeachment: Senators, Reps Divided As Afenifere Backs Mbaka’s Verdict On Buhari / What Was Jonathan's Achievement In The Niger Delta In 5 Years Of His Presidency? / Rochas Okorocha Gives Orphan Girl New House, New Car And N2.7M In Imo. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.