Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,135 members, 7,829,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. (38815 Views)

Rochas Okorocha Visits Site Of Collapsed Building In Owerri (Photos) / Orji Uzor Kalu At University Of Nigeria, Nsukka, Gyrating With Kegites Club / The Proposed 4TH Mainland Bridge & Masterplan In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 10:53pm On Oct 19, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

If Igbos have been tribalistic,you wouldn't have found them all over Nigeria changing and contributing to the socio-economy of their host communities. You wouldn't find them embracing other cultures and learning other languages to their own detriment.
If Igbos were Tribalistic, Azikiwe wouldn't have put hands together with the Ijebu Yorubas to fight a political party.
If Igbos are Tribalistic,why was a Fulani man appointed the first Mayor of Enugu?
Till Jesus comes, there are no group of people who are as multilingual/cultural as igbos and found in all parts of Nigeria yet they become the first target of illiterate blood suckers.
I understand that Nairaland is full of Ignorant,childish tribalists.
Being a tribalist is different from traveling round the globe for a better life or to make more money. You can leave your region to another place and still be a tribalist.

Checkout what Merriam-Webster Dictionary says about tribalism:

"loyalty to a tribe or other social group
especially when combined with strong
negative feelings for people outside the
group".

So you can be outside your region and still have a negative feelings about your host. A case study is calling Lagos a no man's land or the head of igbo community in a yoruba city entering an oba's palace with a crown on his head.

You can't say an igbo man would pack his load and head to Kafancha to learn hausa Language. Hell No. He's simply going there for a better life.

The case of fulani man appointed a mayor in enugu, should I start counting the number of appointment that igbos has benefited from the yorubas alone ?

Wanna give you an Assignment bro: Since 1999, kindly tell me one or two person(s) that are not igbos but have given a political appointment in the east. Thanks.

5 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by chiddyj: 10:56pm On Oct 19, 2016
T9ksy:

And that's because your fathers ran towards the west chanting "One Nigeria" like a faulty water-tap to partake in the free

education Awo provided for his people with the regional resources at his disposal.

The sad story on the ground is that, had it not been for the free education implemented by Awo in his own domain, many of your fathers would not have not been opportuned to see the interior walls of an educational institution.
better lie with shaba ranks playing in d background! Most southeasterners either payed their bills physically as in cash or by servitude for a number of yrs to the institution they learned from! get ur facts right! anyway dis discussion belongs in za other room
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Omololu007(m): 10:58pm On Oct 19, 2016
PentiumProf:

Go and read your history books
The igbos were killed in 1953 for protecting akintola and his fellow yorubas
senseless post....who was akintola in 1953,,can you tell us what happened in 1953 that ibos where protecting akintola

3 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Codyt(m): 10:58pm On Oct 19, 2016
CliffordOrji:
Meanwhile, Chinua Achebe the greatest academia from Igboland, could not attend a University in Igboland, he had his tertiary education at the University College of Ibadan. Even Ikemba, Ojukwu had his secondary education at Kings College Lagos.
SAVAGE grin grin grin dayuummmmm

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 11:02pm On Oct 19, 2016
YourNemesis:

lol, but as at independence, the West still had far more PRIMARY and SECONDARY schools than your Eastern region and the North.
No matter how you want to go about it, no evidence supports the claims by your brother up there.
Having many schools doesn't corelate with the number of literate people. That is absolutely a null logic.
There are many Religious organizations in Nigeria,yet how many Nigerians are righteous?
The Education igbos couldn't get in the East,they sought for it outside the East and Beyond. There was Hope Waddell training institute Calabar in 1895.
If Igbos were in Lagos,Niger state and other parts of West Africa before 1904 working for the Colonialist that shows you that they were very literate.
Besides, this is supported by colonial accounts that state that Igbos quickly embraced Western Civilization which helped them secure appointments around Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by aalangel(f): 11:06pm On Oct 19, 2016
I'm getting sick, tired and weary of this tribal war on Nairaland. Is it that Seun is enjoying it?
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 11:09pm On Oct 19, 2016
DaPuncline:

Being a tribalist is different from traveling round the globe for a better life or to make more money. You can leave your region to another place and still be a tribalist.

Checkout what Merriam-Webster Dictionary says about tribalism:

"loyalty to a tribe or other social group
especially when combined with strong
negative feelings for people outside the
group".

So you can be outside your region and still have a negative feelings about your host. A case study is calling Lagos a no man's land or the head of igbo community in a yoruba city entering an oba's palace with a crown on his head.

You can't say an igbo man would pack his load and head to Kafancha to learn hausa Language. Hell No. He's simply going there for a better life.

The case of fulani man appointed a mayor in enugu, should I start counting the number of appointment that igbos has benefited from the yorubas alone ?

Wanna give you an Assignment bro: Since 1999, kindly tell me one or two person(s) that are not igbos but have given a political appointment in the east. Thanks.
Unfortunately,we are not discussing a post Civil war Nigeria where every tribe are equal participants in this resentment game ocassioned by events of pre 1967.
This is about the days of Nnamdi Azikiwe and his contempories.
What informed your presumptuous post that claim that Igbos have been tribalistic from the days of yore? That is the point!
Focus on the issue at hand.

And if you are talking about Lagos,well forget it. Because it is melting pot of Nigerians ,was once a Capital and everyone derseves to have a stake there.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by PentiumProf: 11:14pm On Oct 19, 2016
Omololu007:
senseless post....who was akintola in 1953,,can you tell us what happened in 1953 that ibos where protecting akintola
In 1953 enahoro moved a motion in the house of representatives for the independence of nigeria
the northern legislators opposed the motion
Word got to Lagosians about the northern opposition to the motion
The northern legislators met a hostile crowd in Lagos
The northern legislators returned to the north vowing never to return to Lagos
The action group sent a delegation led by akintola to the north
The delegation were to sensitize the northerners on the need for independence
The action group members were attacked by the Kano mob

The igbo traders that tried protecting the action group leaders were killed
Read your history books or Google it

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by tsmat(m): 11:19pm On Oct 19, 2016
saintdennis:

U forget to mention his first major error... FORCING THE NORTH TO BE PART OF AN INDEPENDENT NIGERIA.

The north NEVER wanted anything to do with the south, azikiwe toasted, coerced and ultimately sent UK messages to compel the north to be part of the marriage.

Today ironically igbos want to divorce but the north like a lazy housewife with no prospects for financial buoyancy after divorce vehemently refuses lols.

ok obafemi awolowo wanted to include right to secede in our constitution AZIKIWE wrote Britain to accuse awolowo of treason.

Those 2 grave errors are still affecting us southerners till this day.

B4 u mention azikiwe how bout ojukwu who was rewarded with chieftaincy title for his cowardice.

--in btw i'm pro-nigeria.
these ipodians are crazy fools..... always running up and down talking trash... azikiwe ran during war, ojukwu fled leaving them to die they made him a chief.. even kanu was hiding abroad and sending them hateful message from there and see them.... it is ONLY ON NAIRALAND THEY CAN SHOW THEIR UGLY FACES STEW_PID PEOPLE

3 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:24pm On Oct 19, 2016
DaPuncline:

Of course we all know a typical igbo man slogan.

Appoint an igbo man = Merit.

Appoint a yoruba man = Tribalism.

The problem an average igbo man has is he simply wants everything to be his own way which is not possible.
Deny that merit doesn't favor igbos more. Could the whites had likes them more out of nepotism? Not possible

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:29pm On Oct 19, 2016
DaPuncline:

I know the truth about how Zik romanced with Balewa to made igbos in charge of western universities can never be heard on Radio Biafra.

Just look at it from this angle: when GEJ recently established some Fed. Uni in nigeria, he made Prof. Ibidapo-Obe to be in charge of the one in Ebonyi, Prof. Aluko was in charge of the one in Bayelsa, Prof. Chinedu Nebo was in charge of the one in Ekiti. So from your conclusion are you saying there was no igbo Prof. that jonathan could appoint to be in charge of the fed uni in ebonyi ? Or no yoruba man is fit enough to handle ekiti's own ? It is purely political which is same as what Zik and Balewa did to the western university then.

You even said zik was the most visible politician in africa then ? What about Patrice Lumumba, Jomo Kenyattta, Kenneth Kaunda, Haile seilaisse, Kwame Nkrumah etc. You must be joking!

Stop conjuring things. We igbos never associated any of our success to zik. He had said we were naturally independent and we felt that's myopic considering how Nigeria is, and we weren't even wrong. Why are you hell bent on forcing ziks benevolence on us? See consolation. I told you igbos headed civil service everywhere and you are telling me of Ekiti, bagels and co. That wasn't the case then.

Tell me instead politician that had Africa attached to his name aside Zik?
Zik of Africa.
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:31pm On Oct 19, 2016
orbitriz:

But as of that time Igbo people were still backward in education

More forward than everybody.
Igbos were going overseas to study too, so what's the fuss about Ibadan? Na only Yoruba's go there sef ?
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 11:34pm On Oct 19, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Deny that merit doesn't favor igbos more. Could the whites had likes them more out of nepotism? Not possible
Merit does not. I told you the ones you got then was influenced by Zik-Balewa's alliance coz AG which is awolowo's party was the opposition party then.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 11:39pm On Oct 19, 2016
I was here to admire the fine gentleman and symbol of African Nationalism only to see silly comments of which Region got a White Man's school first and how Achebe didn't school in Igboland. That is Slave Mentality!
Azikiwe and other Founding Fathers set up Nigeria to be free from Western Grip only for this Nairaland generation to push it into an irredeemable tribalistic country.
Anyway, can we just celebrate Zik's legacies/achievements or keep behaving like a typical black person? Donald Trump was probably right!

4 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:39pm On Oct 19, 2016
DaPuncline:

Merit does not. I told you the ones you got then was influenced by Zik-Balewa's alliance coz AG which is awolowo's party was the opposition party then.

Evidence?
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 19, 2016
Short sighted ststesman .
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 11:48pm On Oct 19, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Stop conjuring things. We igbos never associated any of our success to zik. He had said we were naturally independent and we felt that's myopic considering how Nigeria is, and we weren't even wrong. Why are you hell bent on forcing ziks benevolence on us? See consolation. I told you igbos headed civil service everywhere and you are telling me of Ekiti, bagels and co. That wasn't the case then.

Tell me instead politician that had Africa attached to his name aside Zik?
Zik of Africa.
Bros which consolation are you talking about ? I keep giving you fact to affirm how Zik and Balewa populated the civil service, ministries with their alliance and you are here saying consolation. Balewa had to danced top Zik's tune coz hausas were less educated then and their political partner which are the igbos are better off academically so they needed them to run the affairs. Yorubas were doing well academically and churning out seasoned academicians but majority of them are Awoist which made never never to be considered by Zik and Balewa. The question I'm still asking you is are you saying there were no qualified yoruba academicians in the west before Zik-Balewa decided to choose igbo academicians as SW university VCs ? I guess that was the bedrock of our argument.

So you said no success was associated to Zik and your folks has been euologizing Zik for given them UNN and Niger Bridge inclusive.

So bros becos Zik fans in nigeria added the word "Africa" to his name so that made him greater than the lumubas, kenyattas, nkrumahs etc.

3 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 11:59pm On Oct 19, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Evidence?
Let's start from the three igbo academicians appointed by Zik as VC in SW university because you said it was by merit and no yoruba man was qualified. So were they appointed by the white men ? Who also appointed Jaja Wachukwu Foreign affiars minister ?, Aja Nwachukwu education minister ? I guess the whitemen appointed them too ? Who made Aguiyi Ironsi chief of Army staff ? White man ? The list is endless bro.

6 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:01am On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

Bros which consolation are you talking about ? I keep giving you fact to affirm how Zik and Balewa populated the civil service, ministries with their alliance and you are here saying consolation. Balewa had to danced top Zik's tune coz hausas were less educated then and their political partner which are the igbos are better off academically so they needed them to run the affairs. Yorubas were doing well academically and churning out seasoned academicians but majority of them are Awoist which made never never to be considered by Zik and Balewa. The question I'm still asking you is are you saying there were no qualified yoruba academicians in the west before Zik-Balewa decided to choose igbo academicians as SW university VCs ? I guess that was the bedrock of our argument.

So you said no success was associated to Zik and your folks has been euologizing Zik for given them UNN and Niger Bridge inclusive.

So bros becos Zik fans in nigeria added the word "Africa" to his name so that made him greater than the lumubas, kenyattas, nkrumahs etc.
O di egwu. What is Zik's fans in Nigeria? Before Zik ventured into politics,he was a writer/journalist and his writeups succeded in motivating Africans to cry for independence and that ruffled the ego of the stubborn and greedy Colonialists. His Newspapers became a reference point for Africans seeking for liberation.
He was not just a Nigerian politician,he was a Pan African Nationalist whose legacy was felt throughout Black Africa.

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:08am On Oct 20, 2016
DaPuncline:

Let's start from the three igbo academicians appointed by Zik as VC in SW university because you said it was by merit and no yoruba man was qualified. So were they appointed by the white men ? Who also appointed Jaja Wachukwu Foreign affiars minister ?, Aja Nwachukwu education minister ? I guess the whitemen appointed them too ? Who made Aguiyi Ironsi chief of Army staff ? White man ? The list is endless bro.
Irrespective of who appointed them. It was all based on Merit and who had the best qualifications in that time. Don't equate the Nigeria of today with that period. People were eager to serve their nation and put ego and tribalism aside. Things were largely done on merit. The reason you wouldn't find such situations in the East of those days was largely because your folks were basically absent.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 12:35am On Oct 20, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

O di egwu. What is Zik's fans in Nigeria? Before Zik ventured into politics,he was a writer/journalist and his writeups succeded in motivating Africans to cry for independence and that ruffled the ego of the stubborn and greedy Colonialists. His Newspapers became a reference point for Africans seeking for liberation.
He was not just a Nigerian politician,he was a Pan African Nationalist whose legacy was felt throughout Black Africa.

No one is diminishing Zik's influence but comparing him with the likes of patrice lumumba that belgium and U.S.A became so scared of him that they had to plot his assassination, even the great Malcom X declared Patrice Lumumba "the greatest
black man who ever walked the African
continent" or you wanna compare zik with Nkrumah that told the likes of world bank, IMF to go to hell or Kenneth Kaunda that fought with his last blood to free zambia etc. Bros Azikwe's influence can never be compared with those seasoned men.

Here is a link to 1945 Pan-African congress held in manchester that was graced by powerful african leaders and Zik was missing.

www.aaprp-intl.org/taxonomy/term/81

4 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by DaPuncline: 12:42am On Oct 20, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Irrespective of who appointed them. It was all based on Merit and who had the best qualifications in that time. Don't equate the Nigeria of today with that period. People were eager to serve their nation and put ego and tribalism aside. Things were largely done on merit. The reason you wouldn't find such situations in the East of those days was largely because your folks were basically absent.
Bros why are you dribbling around like this ? You asked for evidence I gave you some and you are still dribbling!

Yes you are right so many people were eager to serve but the ones that aligned themselves with the ruling party or people that in one way or the other had a close relationship with Zik and Balewa were selected.
Back to my Question: was there no qualified Yoruba academician before Zik appointed those 3 igbo dudes as VC in the west ?

3 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by desire19a: 12:46am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:
As a true Nwafo Igbo I am often perplexed whenever I read/hear my Ummuna brothers refer to Nnamdi Azikiwe as a Hero. For those who do not know; Nnamdi Azikiwe betrayed we Igbos. He was the one that composed the Biafran National Anthem, but ironically, during the heat of the Biafran civil war, Azikiwe ran away from Biafra. He defected to Nigeria and supported the Nigerian governemnt in the killing of his own Biafran people.

Obafemi Awolowo's free education policy amongst many others is an achievement the Yoruba's can regard to as the legacy of the defunct Western region; what can we Igbos point to as Nnamdi Azikiwe's achievment in the eastern region? Nothing !!

For those who do not know; prior to the 1950's, Nnamdi Azikiwe left Igboland, he went to Yorubaland and greedily fought both tooth and nail to become the leader of the western regional house of assembly at Ibadan. Awolowo's political party, A.G defeated Azikiwe's NCNC and disgracefully chased him back to Igboland. When he came back to Alaigbo what did he do for we Igbos? Nothing!! This particular university we are beating our chest about was built many years after more than five generation of Yoruba's had been going to the University in England. Even Chinua Achebe the greatest academia in Igboland had his own university education in Yorubaland at the University College of Ibadan

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by desire19a: 12:51am On Oct 20, 2016
Mjuliet:
Zik Points To The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) in 1950s.

http://www.fastdatashare.com/2016/10/zik-at-proposed-site-of-university-of.html

[size=28pt]correction, that is 1959[/size]
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Nobody: 1:02am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:
Meanwhile, Chinua Achebe the greatest academia from Igboland, could not attend a University in Igboland, he had his tertiary education at the University College of Ibadan. Even Ikemba, Ojukwu had his secondary education at Kings College Lagos.
Chinua Achebe continued is schooling at UNN due to the civil war...
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by ofwest47(m): 1:18am On Oct 20, 2016
You these Igbos or as Zik renamed them * I Before Others * if you don't the Yoruba nation had always been far ahead of I Before Others from inception till date:
1_ which region started the free primary education in Nigeria as far back as 1955,_the Western Region although Zik tried it in 1957 but could not continue by 1959.
2_ which region had the first television station in Africa even when some other European countries had never dreamt of having one __ the Western region under the able leadership of Baba Awo.
3_ which region had the first international stadium in the entire Africa the answer is, The Western Region if any IBO man could recollect the two world boxing championship games one by Hogan king Bassey and the other by Dick Tiger in 1963 Zik was in Ibadan to watch the games
Remember, the Liberty stadium 1st in Africa also hosted the under 17 world championship game in 1979 all these were happening in the West under Papa Awolowo.
4__ The first tallest building in Africa the 25 floors cocoa house is in Ibadan in the Yoruba national headquarters.
5__ Zik it was said initiated the building of Nssuka University while Awo did the same thing at Ife now Obafemi Awolowo University, in comparison where did they say Awolowo built private hostels within the campus for the purpose of exploiting the students non at all, unlike Zik who built quite a number of hostels within the university campus for profit gains; the private hostels are still there till date.
If not for greedy IBO domination the restructuring we are now crying for today would have become a thing of the past if Zik and their Hausa/IBO domination had allowed the creation of the then Calabar_Ogoja_river state now Niger_ Delta as they allowed the creation of the Mid_West from the then Western region but disallowed the creation of the Benue_Plateau from the then Northern region as recommended by Awolowo ( see Awo's Thought to Nigeria constitution 1945 ) but for greediness and dominations at all costs of Hausa/ IBO coalition we would not have found our selves in the mess we are into today
In the entire country today which region allows the influx of other tribes besides the Yoruba nation.

4 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by oglalasioux(m): 3:08am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:
As a true Nwafo Igbo I am often perplexed whenever I read/hear my Ummuna brothers refer to Nnamdi Azikiwe as a Hero. For those who do not know; Nnamdi Azikiwe betrayed we Igbos. He was the one that composed the Biafran National Anthem, but ironically, during the heat of the Biafran civil war, Azikiwe ran away from Biafra. He defected to Nigeria and supported the Nigerian governemnt in the killing of his own Biafran people.

Obafemi Awolowo's free education policy amongst many others is an achievement the Yoruba's can regard to as the legacy of the defunct Western region; what can we Igbos point to as Nnamdi Azikiwe's achievment in the eastern region? Nothing !!

For those who do not know; prior to the 1950's, Nnamdi Azikiwe left Igboland, he went to Yorubaland and greedily fought both tooth and nail to become the leader of the western regional house of assembly at Ibadan. Awolowo's political party, A.G defeated Azikiwe's NCNC and disgracefully chased him back to Igboland. When he came back to Alaigbo what did he do for we Igbos? Nothing!! This particular university we are beating our chest about was built many years after more than five generation of Yoruba's had been going to the University in England. Even Chinua Achebe the greatest academia in Igboland had his own university education in Yorubaland at the University College of Ibadan

Have you considered the fact that Zik used his connections to make almost all the rich Igbos such as Louis Odumegwu and Ilodibe? Zik's defection to Nigeria during the war was a fatherly move; research about this.

It was Zik that negotiated Biafra's recognition by some African states and the Caribbean. Had Ojukwu's personal ambition of lording over everything not beclouded his sense of reasoning Zik would have achieved Biafra or at worst a confederation in the Nigerian state without firing a shot.

Zik is not known to have accumulated personal wealth to the detriment of other people. He brought so many investors to Onitsha his home and made Nsukka, his maternal home, the site for the university of Nigeria.

Before you say negative things about Zik, especially his commission or omission during the war, do more research and you'll find out that Ojukwu poorly executed that war.

2 Likes

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by aresssa: 3:20am On Oct 20, 2016
slurryeye:

I will take the pain of educating a retard like you. When Nigeria was going into independence, it has just one university located in Ibadan. The regional leaders decided to build one university in each region and one in Lagos which was the Capital. The following where built, University of Ife in western region, University of Nigeria in eastern region, University of Northern Nigeria in northern region and University of Lagos in the Capital. However, when Awolowo died, university of Ife was named after him, when Ahmadu Bello died the university of northern Nigeria was named after him. But the Igbos being unappreciative and ungrateful breeds they are, they refused to name the university after their so called founding father. Instead they named him after a 3rd tier university in Awka.
Now think about that slowpoke grin cheesy

grin grin grin grin
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Pauloves(m): 4:40am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:

I 'm quite dissapointed wit this tauntin comment u made about the Owelle of Onitsha u knw bcs Zik is known globally to b d most outstandin personae for the fight against Imperialism in Nigeria, nay,Africa. And rhat's y u can always relate his name wit decolonialisation anywhere in d world...And tell me wat can b calld selflessness than fightin for a just course beyond ur own personal whim nd shore...
Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by walosky(m): 5:46am On Oct 20, 2016
PentiumProf:
The first indeginous university in nigeria was not built by the white man
It was not built with oil money
It wasn't built by federal government
It was built by the owelle of onitsha Dr nnamdi azikwe
While the other tribe focused on building a tall building of no use a television station that was watched by the rich igbos were investing in education health industries
Igbos are the pride of the world
Sorry, I guees UNN wasnt d first University but Ibadan was. Peeps are my right?

1 Like

Re: Azikiwe At The Proposed Site Of The University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) In 1950s. by Egunje: 5:48am On Oct 20, 2016
CliffordOrji:

YES I AGREE WITH YOU ON THE FIRST UNIVERSITY IN WEST, BUT DONT FORGET THE EUROPIANS HAS LONG DWELT IN LAGOS SO IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR THEM TO BE MORE EDUCATIONALLY ADVANCED THAN US THEN. BUT OURS DIDN'T TAKE THAT LONG ALL THANKS TO NNAMDI AZIKIWE.

ABOUT CONTESTING ELECTION IN THE WEST,YES THAT'S ELECTION OUGHT TO BE. ARE THERE NO IBOS WHO ARE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY MEMBERS IN LAGOS TODAY? FALAKE IS HE NOT FROM KWARA STATE YET A SITTING HOUSE MEMBER IN LAGOS. THAT'S ADVANCED POLITICS AND ZIK WAS VERY REFINED IN POLITICS.

ABOUT BIAFRA WAR, YES HE WROTE THE ANTHEM. HE WAS PAN IBO MORE THAN ANY OTHER IBO MAN.MAY I ASK U A QUESTION,WHERE DID OJUKWU RUN TO WHEN HE SAW THE WAR WAS ALREADY CONSUMING US?HE FLED TO IVORY COAST.YOU IGNITED A FIRE AND RAN AWAY THAT NOT HEROISM.
ZIK LEFT THE WAR WHEN HE FORESAW THE OUTCOME OF THE WAR AND ADVISED OJUKWU TO SUE FOR PEACE TO AVOID MORE CASUALTY OJUKWU INSULTED HIM. LATE CHUKWUMA NZEOGWU WHO WAS A MEMBER OF NIGERIAN ARMY INTELLIGENT TEAM AND THE LEADER OF THE GROUP BEFORE THE WAR BROKE OUT GAVE OJUKWU AN INTELLIGENT REPORT OF HOW BRITAIN WERE SHIPING ARMS INTO THE COUNTRY AND OUR ARMS ARE NO MATCH FOR THEM. HE OJUKWU KILLED NZOGWU WHO HE SAW AS A RIVAL AND MORE INTELLIGENT. ZIK FOR THE FEAR OF BEEN LABELED A TRAITOR LEFT.

OJUKWU CAME INTO THE ARMY THEN WITH ACADEMIC DEGREE AND NZEOGWU HAD DEGREE TOO, HE SAW NZEOGU AS A TREAT. OOOOH OUR NZEOGU THE MAN WHO CHALLENGED THE NORTH WITH HIS 1960 COUP KILLED. IFEAJUNA AGAIN WAS KILLED AND LABELED A TRAITOR WHY.
THIS SAME ZIK WHO U SAID RAN, WENT TO MANY AFRICAN COUNTRIES TO SEEK FOR A WAY TO END THE WAR WHICH WAS ALMOST CONSUMING US. PRESIDENT TRUEMAN OF LIBERIA CAME WITH HIM TO NIGERIA AND GOWON WAS SHOCKED TO SEE ZIK WHO WAS A WANTED MAN COMING TO MEET HIM.MY BROTHERS THIS WAS HOW "NO VICTOR NO VANQUISHED" WAS REACHED. MY ZIK

FROM THE INCEPTION OF NIGERIAN POLITICS, EASTERNERS HAS ALWAYS BEEN INTO ALLIANCE WITH THE NORTH AND THE WEST RELEGATED TO OPPOSITION.THIS STRUCTURE DIDN'T GO DOWN WELL WITH AWOLOWO AND HE SOUTH FOR A WAY TO DESTROY ZIK AND THE IBOS. AWOLO WAS PLOTING A COUP AND HE WAS ARRESTED AN DETAINED. AWOLOWO ACHIEVED HIS LONG AMBITION OF DESTROYING IGBOS THROUGH OJUKWU.

BEFORE THEN ZIK WAS ASKED BY AWOLOWO TO DECLARE A COUNTRY IN EAST WHILE HE WILL DO HIS WITH THE WEST. ZIK KNEW AWOLOWO SO MUCH AND HE ZIK WAS SMART. HE KNEW IF HE DID AWOLOWO WOULD HAVE GAINED ALLIANCE WITH THE NORTH AND WOULD FOUGHT US,ZIK TOLD HIM BOLDLY THAT HE IS FOR ONE NIGERIA. WISE ZIK

AWOLOWO HAD HIS WAY WITH OJUKWU WHO FREED HIM FROM PRISON ON ACCOUNT THAT HE WILL CREATE ODUA COUNTRY .AWOLOWI DECIEVED OJUKWU AND HE WENT AND JOINED THE NORTH AGAINST US. U SEE ZIK WAS A WISE OLD MAN.

ZIK WAS INSTRUMENTAL TO THE BUILDING OF (MAIN MARKET) THE LARGEST MARKET IN WEST AFRICA. HE BROUGHT UNN TO US. HE BROUGHT BACK OUR SONS FROM FAR EUROPE AND MADE THEM JOIN POLITICSE E.G AKUNNU IBIAM( EBONYI STATE) MI OKPARA(ABIA STATE) NWAFOR ORIZU (ANAMBARA STATE)

MY BRO ZIK WILL ALWAYS BE AN IBO HERO. AM A PROUD ZIKIST

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha Gives Orphan Girl New House, New Car And N2.7M In Imo. Photos / Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom Get First PDP Assignment / Nigerian Policeman Tenders Resignation Over Poor Pay, Inability To Feed - PHOTO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.