Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,744 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? (25991 Views)

Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... / Why Do Legally Married Women Who Have Sex Not Considered Worthy By God? / Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by masseratti: 7:04pm On Oct 23, 2016
evansjeff:
I know this is not allowed in Christianity, and it has always been a cause of worry to me, any hopes of making heaven? both having kids for me already, fellow nairalanders and Christians...help a wondering heart.

There is no where in the bible that said a man should marry just one wife, just be a good person yourself and both of them.
help move this to Front page please
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Okite15(m): 7:11pm On Oct 23, 2016
Tiny23:

that can be a likely scenario so don't say I'm off point,everyone is entitled to his opinion...
sorry ma
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by HARDDON: 7:40pm On Oct 23, 2016
beedam:

How did you know it's illegal marriage? Also, where should she go? To her parents house or search for a single guy or stay single for the rest of her life?

I said Spiritually illegal.....

It is only d first wify that is known to God.

Those other Qs r for her cteator not me.

We all answer to our creator individually
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by aalangel(f): 8:39pm On Oct 23, 2016
evansjeff:
I know this is not allowed in Christianity, and it has always been a cause of worry to me, any hopes of making heaven? both having kids for me already, fellow nairalanders and Christians...help a wondering heart.

Send the second wife away. Simple. It's only a wicked and unreasonable woman that will see an existing family and still impose herself on them.
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by remikunle: 8:49pm On Oct 23, 2016
Eyekandi:
Wife no.1 is the original wife, you will have to let the second go.
Eyekandi:
Eyekandi:
the church goer, please for what reason ?
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by samuelgambo(m): 8:52pm On Oct 23, 2016
That marriage is binding for life. Monogamy is the uniform teaching of the Bible. Polygamy is contrary to God's perfect will and institution. Also, under the new testament dispensation, no one has a right to divorce and remarry while the first companion lives. When a person becomes converted, necessary restitution on this line must be done without delay if married wrongly (Gen 2:24; Deut 7:1-4, Job 23:11-13, 2 Cor 6:14-18, Prov 31:10-31, Malachi 2:14,15, Rom 7:2,3, Eph 5:31:-33, Matt 5:31,32, Matt 19:3-9, Mark 10:2-12, Luke 16:18,John 4:15-19, Gen 20:3-7,) etc please just take your time and go through this references and your life will never remain the same and this will clear your doubts GOD BLESS YOU
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by shabakm: 9:12pm On Oct 23, 2016
having more than one wife have nothing to do with your faith, because bible never said having more than one wife is sin, what maters is that just keep the 10 laws and commandment but if you want to imitate jesus divorce the two because jesus has no wife
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by ochuciano(m): 9:15pm On Oct 23, 2016
deeway200:
In law u are only legally married to a woman
what about Customary law or Sharia law ?
Last time I checked these laws support more than one wife
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by ochuciano(m): 9:16pm On Oct 23, 2016
DeHEIGHTS:

Meaning what, pls?
Give straight answer
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by ochuciano(m): 9:17pm On Oct 23, 2016
DeHEIGHTS:

Meaning what, pls?
Give straight answer
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Empiree: 9:21pm On Oct 23, 2016
evansjeff:

Why stressing yourself over non-issue?. Jesus was NEVER against polygamy. Read on.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/ntpoly.htm

There bunch of pastors with multiple women. [size=16pt]Polygamy in the New Testament[/size]

Below is a quote from a pastor:

[size=18pt]"Hello,

I was just reading your article on polygamy. I am a Christian who
actually believes polygamy is a righteous form of marriage.
Despite the
modern secular church you probably usually see, there are Christians who
are serious about God and Truth over men's traditions."[/size]
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 23, 2016
alan333:
Brother,Matthew19vs4 says:have you not read that he which made them at the begining made the MALE/FEMALE?meaning-there's one of the two wives which is compactable or most compactable,i.e.your true love.

Solution-among this two wives,one should be the bone of your ribs according to Genesis2vs21-24!findout which one of them is your truest love and dissolve your marriage with the other,be it the 1st or 2nd,either of them:however,you must continue to take care of the bond-woman and her son,i.e.the unlucky wife untill she remarry and is settled and if possible compensate her duely for incoveniences and let her go.
for ur mind abi, fucking church law, that is why my father stopped going to church bc he was advised to divorce one of his wives, Solomon nko?,Jacob nko?,David nko?, After u tell that my father, grandfather, great grandfather...and Moslems will go to hell fire for marrying more than one wife. Selfish fellows, that are scared of step brother /sisters, I love our polygamous family and if God bless me abundantly, I will practice it, God designed it, itz bc of d rubbish man made law that z causing many women not to get married 2day, God knows that one man can marry more than 1 wife, and dat z why d female population re higher than the male species of all animals.
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Stbottle(m): 9:41pm On Oct 23, 2016
Tallesty1:
A good Christian follows Bible principles not churches doctrine.

But what does the Bible say here?

@OP, I'M yet to come across a chapter in bible that says you "you must not marry more than one wife".

The only place I have seen so far that seems to be completely against it is Deutronomy 17:17 and the verse is for Kings not a common man.

Polygamy as far as I am concerned was not God’s original plan for mankind but it was also something He allowed in the Bible so if I have two wives like you do, I am keeping two of them because I am sure I didn't break any scripture.

The reason we condemn polygamy is because we rarely find the system doing any good. Everything that is said about it in the past shows it causes troubles. That has not changed. Today polygamy still causes many marriage problems for those who practice it.

But if you can handle it then stick to it, though you will never become a leader in the church but it is inhumane and selfish to reject someone you have vowed to love till eternity because of a leadership position in the church.

I am very happy for this nation...that people with your own reasoning exists....i see a good nigeria...very plain and unbiased opinion...kudos again
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 23, 2016
I read nairaland posts daily, but never reply to any post, but I have to reply to this one.
Religion is a disease, and all who are religious have been greatly afflicted by this cancer. Who in their right mind thinks he will go to hell for marrying 2 women. Even the Bible, which I believe is the manual for Christians, stated that "IF a man desires the office of a Bishop, he should be a man of one wife". The keyword here is IF (Which is a conditional statement) so what IF an individual doesn't desire the office of a Bishop
If God can call a murderer and adulterer (King David) a man close to his heart, then Godogodo, Lawrence Anini and all the husbands of multiple wives are all close to God's heart too, after all Sir, you are yet to murder someone, right??
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by just4now(m): 10:58pm On Oct 23, 2016
Please Please don't send anyone away yet as a Christian you must be prayerful and wait till God leads you on what to do. To assist you make a sound decision think on this life story:

I heard about a man now a Pastor in a similar situation and was ready to send the second wife away but went to God in prayer for direction the Lord told him not to do such that time will tell who truly was his wife. Surprisingly, it was the first wife who started sleeping around and eventually parked out and left the man. Today the Pastor is left only with the second wife and many years passed they are still going strong in the Lord. The lesson here is Christians are to be led by Holy Spirit always and not by laws in decision making. Dear brother in Christ, learn from this story may God have mercy on you to give you insight on what to do. Shalom
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by SisterMe(f): 11:02pm On Oct 23, 2016
evansjeff:

My dear, don't mind all the pharisaic hypocrites telling you to divorce wife no 2 and that wife no 1 is the original wife. It is the nonsensical, hypocritical, satanic and ungodly doctrine of the Deeper Life church and perhaps some others. It is NOT AND I REPEAT FOR EMPHASIS, NOT a biblical doctrine - and trust me, i should know, because...I know. HELL is almost guaranteed if you tow their line. On the other hand, you can go to heaven, as there were many that had more than one wife in Bible times. It was only written that the officers of the church should be men that had one wife.So all you will miss is positions of authority in the church. If your heart is right with God, why should that bother you? Well, a word is enough for the wise ooo.
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by just4now(m): 11:03pm On Oct 23, 2016
Please Please don't send anyone away yet as a Christian you must be prayerful and wait till God leads you on what to do. To assist you make a sound decision think on this life story:

I heard about a man now a Pastor in a similar situation and was ready to send the second wife away but went to God in prayer for direction the Lord told him not to do such that time will tell who truly was his wife. Surprisingly, it was the first wife who started sleeping around and eventually parked out and left the man. Today, the Pastor is left only with the second wife and many years passed they are still going strong in the Lord. The lesson here is Christians are to be led by Holy Spirit always and not by laws in decision making. Dear brother in Christ, learn from this story may God have mercy on you to give you insight on what to do. Shalom
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Mintayo(m): 11:34pm On Oct 23, 2016
How can you be legally married to two women? undecided
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by cindyrocks(f): 12:49am On Oct 24, 2016
Keep marrying your two wives and take care of them. Don't send your wife and kids packing.

1 Like

Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by HaroldFinch(m): 4:21am On Oct 24, 2016
Polygamy is NOT sinful in Christianity
https://www.ecclesia.org/truth/polygamy.html
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by jetage1(m): 7:41am On Oct 24, 2016
tempex88:
Based on doctrines preached by churches today, they will advice u to divorce the other wives and stick to the first one. However, based on my own understanding and interpretation, number of wife's married shouldn't stop u from entering God's kingdom. However, it will limit the role u can play in the church as u can not lead
Based on ur own understanding ? i thought it should be based on biblical standard and principles
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by tempex88(m): 7:55am On Oct 24, 2016
jetage1:
Based on ur own understanding ? i thought it should be based on biblical standard and principles

People interpret bible differently so my comment is based on my interpretation.
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Student125(m): 8:38am On Oct 24, 2016
Am sorry to say bt it seems most Christians are neglecting the old testament because of its truth and decided to stick with d new testament that contains law that suite them.... One said earlier that Christianity is based on new testament, den it means all what d old testament says abt christanity is false. Though I hav nt studied d bible in-depth but I hav nt heard of any other nation aside Israel, Egypt etc.... so inshort christains are workshiping d God of Israel. If Sango worshipers in those days were literate enough to document, compile nd publish there practices just like the bible. if dey are fortunate to see illiterates (just like Africans in those days) that are willing to be educated, d only clause will be "if dey can practice there religion just like d missionary dd in those days to spread there believe ( Christianity )"..I wonder hw popular the Sango worshipers would hav been today.
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by redsun(m): 11:36am On Oct 24, 2016
As long as they are happy with you and you are happy yourself,aswell as the offspring,it is no sin.

We impose limitations and guilts on ourselves as a result of limiting our horizons.
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Olumyco(m): 1:29pm On Oct 24, 2016
With what I have read here on nairaland concerning biblical issues, I can say this is not the best place to get advices on issues that bothers on the Bible. There are many people here who are moralist who think they are christians. There are also believers of many faiths here and even atheists so I advice U pray, search the scripture, go to your pastor and so on to know what to do.

Concerning the issue raised, I can see many people approached the question based on morality. Its not new anyway, there are many questions here that people approach based on morality point of view. Please morality is not equivalent to christianity. Christianity is not about human standards but God's standards. Christianity is not about what man thinks but what God thinks. Christianity is not about convinience, pity etc but doing the right thing. Some people just believe that the law or a doctrine of God can be manipulated to justify mercy, pity, comfortablity etc. Hmmmm! Christianity is a different culture with its own rules and values. There are somethings that wont just work because Christianity is not formed by man but God. Anything you do in Christianity or better put anything you do as a christian, you do it for God and not for man. So your decision many a time on biblical issue should be based on pleasing God and not man.

Polygamy is alien to Christianity. You just have to sepaate with the second wife. Some said U can stick to the two wives as long as you wont be taking up a leadership position in the Church. So I want to ask, are we saying he would be redundant, useless in the vineyard of God? Is it only in position one can serve God? What about going out for evangelism? What about personal winning of soul for Christ? Jesus commands us to go out into the world and preach the gospel. We are saved to serve. We are saved to save another person by bringing him or her to Christ. Jesus said we are light and that we should let our light shine... so that men can see our good works and glorify God. Jesus said I cannot but be about my father's business. All these tells us that Christianity is about preaching to people to gain them. Christianity is a profession and that profession is spreading the good news of Christ so that the people Jesus died for will not be lost at last. So lets forget the issue of church position... personal evangelism is still there and how will he do it? And we know that if anyone does not do it, heaven is at stake. So how would a child of God go out to preach to his fellow neighbour with two wives? It means that person will keep misleading others with his life's style. How would that person even bring to church his family members, people that lives in thesame neighbourhood with him and so on? How would such a person prove to the whole world he has given his life to Christ? People dont read the Bible anymore. It is our lives as Christians they are reading. OP the best thing to do have been said by some people... make arangement for separation and take care of the kids. This is restitution. Thesame way a person would want to return back what he has stolen to the rightful owner after being saved. The second wife must be returned so that her waiting husband can marry her.
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Olumyco(m): 1:34pm On Oct 24, 2016
Another point is that marriage is an institution created by God. And when God created marriage, he created its principles and laws with it. So those marriages we conduct whether traditional, court or whatever are just forms of admission into the institution. Just the way we get admission into tertiary institution which can be thru JAMB, Pre-degree, Direct entry etc. In another way round we can say that the marriage institution is just one house with difference entry points. You can enter through the traditional entry, court entry or what have you but know for surety you are entring into a single house created by God which is marriage so your entry point do not change the principles, rules and law guiding it. Marraige is between a man and a woman and not contrary. If U call a union or relationship marriage and it contracts the rules and laws of marriage then thats not marriage. Like we all know that some things like principles, laws etc all guides the Engineering profession also is Medicine and so on. So when U say you have more than one wife then it means marriage institution only recognises one out of the many wives you have and the one recognized is the first one because if U have actually entered into the mariage house as described, through one of the entrances then U have married and nothing more and nothing less again. Any other thing you do contrast the law guiding mariage institution and it becomes an abberation or a rebellion against the marriage institution. As you all know that you can only own one certificate in a particular course of study. You can only enter once and not twice. Thats why if the laws and principles of your entry point contrasts the marriage house just as you can have it in other types of marriage then you will have to make amendments. And I want to categorically say that anything you do with the second wife sexually is fornication indirectly. Because the second wife is not recognized in marraige institution (in which God is its Vice Chancellor and not man) as a wife. Fornicators will go to hell says the Word of God. Now you can see why you need to restitute so that you can make heaven.
I pray God open your understanding to comprehend this and all those who are yet to subscribe to this facts.
Thanks
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 24, 2016
evansjeff:

It's not a sin. Abraham, Moses, nearly all prophets and God fearing Kings of the bible had many wives.

One wife is a more cultural/ tradition than spiritual.

God hates divorce by the way,
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2016
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by belcom10(m): 8:30pm On Oct 24, 2016
Pls i will advise u read ur bible very. Invite holyspirit to guide u for a clearer understanding. Also see matt 19:7, jst as in the case of divorce as commanded by moses, jesus said that in the beginning it was not so. It is as a result of man hardness of heart,that's why moses had to make such commandment. Of which jesus spoke concerning this. The point am trying to make from the above scripture is that, though the people of old practise in the bible but it does not mean that God approved it. In the aboved scripture, jesus said that in the beginning it was not as moses commanded. Pls read ur bible well. See ephesian 5:31, matt 19:3-20, titus1:6, i tim 3:12. Thks
openeye693:

Which God? Please answer. 1) Is it the God that gave the law in Deuteronomy 21:15works both to improve access as well as raise public awareness to diagnosis and treatment. If a man has two wives..... Read it again. If a man has two wives.that was God giving the law. God was telling people that you the husband should be fair to your wives.
2) God favored Israel above all nations. And Israel is made up of the children of one man and FOUR WIVES So God loves men who have more than one wife.
The one wife commandment is from men not from God. See what God has said
Mathew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Also Mark 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

And in the book of Isaiah The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught. Isaiah 29:13 New International Version

Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by chukstel(m): 11:56pm On Oct 24, 2016
deeway200:
This is a lie, u can't be legally married to two wives except you have already divorced the first. Therefore, like tuface, ' say another one'

Sorry If I may ask you, how old and vast do you know of your marital tradition of your people?

Don't you know one can be legally married to as many wife's once he pays their bride price traditionally? Find out from your village please before you concde.

You might be referring to the court marriage which the tradition supersides. In Africa you cannot take someone daughter to the court/church without paying the bride price unless agreed with the brides parents/family.
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by chukstel(m): 12:06am On Oct 25, 2016
Okeyson4wisdom:
do you read ur bible. I pray I don't have such friends like you, that wouldn't tell me the truth, and comfort me with lies. @ op if u want to make heaven you have to denounce the second wife, just like abraham did. And God approved

@okeyson, I want to know- can you quote the book chapter and verse where Abraham denounce his wife and God approves it.

Also why did David and Solomon did not denounce their wife and concubines?

Truth is with wife's more problems and troubles if you cannot manage them well. It really distroys homes but to say denounce any.......

I am yet to see where in the bible it is stated that if you marry more than one wife you will not inherit heaven. Who amongst all knows the mind of God? We keep saying Gods mind from our own opinion/our GO says
Re: Legally Married To Two Wives Before Knowing God, What Should I Do? by oaroloye(m): 12:10am On Oct 25, 2016
SHALOM!

evansjeff:

WHAT GIVES ANY MAN TNE RIGHT TO DICTATE HOW MANY WIVES YOU CAN HAVE?

When did God issue that power to any man?

ABRAHAM was called to Bless the families of the Earth, not break them up.

When I was born, my father was the husband of two other women,

Without polygamy, I would not even exist today.

No way I am condemning polygamy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Stop Bringing Dirty Money To Church - Prophet TB Joshua / Signs Your Church Has Been Secularized / Has Daddy Freeze's #FreeTheSheeple Movement Stopped Anyone From Paying Tithe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.