Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial (15087 Views)

2019 Election: Why Buhari Must Step Down For Saraki - Primate Ayodele / Obasanjo To Buhari: You Must Step On Toes Of Friends, Well-wishers / Buhari, ECOWAS Leaders Meet Jammeh, Insist He Must Step Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 24, 2016
Who is this PRESIDENCY THE PERSON NO GET NAME?

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by Marotzke(m): 7:44am On Oct 24, 2016
All these media trials, championed by faceless people who would readily recant when necessary.

No one seems to remember that these allegations were made by a " Top government source who spoke in confidence ".
No name, no designation. And people are foaming in the mouth.

4 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by blaze86(m): 7:48am On Oct 24, 2016
Gbam
Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by Wazobia001: 7:49am On Oct 24, 2016
I totally agree with the president. They should not only step aside, they should be jailed like every other Nigerians they have been jailed by them who committed the same offense.
Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by Oceemo(m): 7:49am On Oct 24, 2016
Nigeria and they system I don't just seems to understand all this drama, when will all this end?

1 Like

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by Wazobia001: 7:50am On Oct 24, 2016
I totally agree with the president. They should not only step aside, they should be jailed like every other Nigerians they have been jailed by them who committed the same offense.
Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by dignity33: 7:51am On Oct 24, 2016
When will NASS start impeachment of this old man in Aso Rock because we can now longer wait until 2019?
Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by chacoonder(m): 7:58am On Oct 24, 2016
Chief Justice Mahmud Mohammed is only a stooge in the hands of other powerful judges.All corrupt judges must go down.
Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by Miles300: 8:00am On Oct 24, 2016
So with all the noise jibril is making about dogara and other house members , and the allegations against ameachi the fg is really turning a blind eye on them , but is callin for judges to step aside , so much for this nation ,everything is turning upside down , judiciary and executives at a logger head , legislatures padding since 1800 and no one has been investigated , even the one that brought allegations is even suspended , Lol naija ! Worst nd confused govt since 1960

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by freeze001(f): 8:01am On Oct 24, 2016
It is a simple matter of fair hearing. There must be administrative procedures before a person is relieved of his position temporarily or permanently. People do not realise that the moment the NJC gives in and causes the judges to be suspended without fair hearing and about opportunity for them to respond to whatever allegations there are against them, it becomes an unlawful termination of appointment which the NJC can be sued for.

People need to realise the legal loopholes bored by the illegal actions by the Executive through the DSS first of all and not worsen it by creating even more problems. There must be a petition against them to which they must be afforded the opportunity to respond to or defend themselves before any action based on the strength of the case against them or their defence, can be taken.

Media trial and mere unsubstantiated statements from the DSS does not suffice if they have not brought complaints against their purported suspects to their professional organisation. Why haven't they started proceedings against the ones already recommended by the NJC for dismissal and prosecution? Even if some are only retired, what stops the FG through its agencies from instituting actions against them? Retirement is not a bar from prosecution so that is no excuse! The law must be upheld and not turned on its head just to entertain Nigerians in this so called corruption fight.

4 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by amunekeuto: 8:02am On Oct 24, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

Allow them to continue fooling themselves!!! They have no evidence against the judges and only want them suspended!!! The law doesn't work that way
the judiary will be finished if u can just make allegations without supporting evidence and a judge steps down.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by tete7000(m): 8:02am On Oct 24, 2016
babdap:
It is morally wrong for a judge facing trial on corruption charges to continue his duties as a judge.

Their is only one body that has the power to suspend judges, NJC. It cannot go ahead and do so without presenting evidence as to why he is suspending them, so DSS must present its evidence to NJC. What if after suspending them, the evidences turn out to be hoax? How will you feel if you head NJC? DSS after the operation made Nigerians believe they presented Njc with evidence but it refused to act, forcing them to carry out sting operation. Now NJC has denied that and DSS cannot substantiate its allegation rather it is insisting that the judges step down without evidence, do you believe that is proper? If DSS has lied once, what is the assurance they are not lieing again regarding having evidence? Why did DSS start a unilateral operation it cannot end trying now to armtwist NJC? You started without NJC accusing it of bias, then finish off without NJC now! Why did it not follow law and collaborate with NjC to do the operation? Can there be any underlying motive?
The NjC cannot suspend judges without presenting reasons. The prerogative to step down rest with the judges, they can and they might not. Saraki didn't step down. Amaechi was accused by his state of corruption, he didn't step down and the executive didn't insist he does. The president was accused of not possessing requisite certificate prior to election, he went ahead to contest despite that; since he won he is yet to present his certificate yet he didn't step down and no one is insisting he does. Why should the judges step down now? What is good foe the goodies is good for the ganders they say.
I believe corruption can only be fought in an environment where there is strict adherence to law and due process. Executive and its agents are not doing that, they are simply ridiculing our system, fight a shambolic corruption war. Trying to fight one corruption with another. It won't work. Nigerians are too emotional, always jumping at every sensational news in the name of corruption fight. The only way to rid the country of corruption is to properly define it and let everyone including the executive start the corruption fight with itself by always following due process, else we push the country into chaos and anarchy. Justice is got only on moral principles. He who goes to equity, they say must go with clean hands. Let the executives remove the log in its eyes before trying to remove splinter on other people eyes. Executive itself is corrupt. Defiance of law and laid down regulation is the bedrock, the foundation on which corruption thrives.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by pchukwudi: 8:03am On Oct 24, 2016
You guys are just so pathetic. How you keep taking the words of this bunch of chronic liars so serious beggers my imagination.

Did you also not read the reports of sanctioned Judges all over the place? Did this bunch of horrible liars had to abduct those sactioned judicial officers before the NJC did its job?

My friend, NJC is a very intelligent, honorable and reputable body; and it will not bend to the demonic wish of this lying bunch of opportunistic and lawless tyrants.

Anyone who does not like the Rule of Law should give up and resign.

SillyMods:

Tender evidences that will be used to prosecute them in court to the same council they belong so they can frustrate their trial?

With the way JCN handled the cases taken to them before now, the body has proved it can't be trusted.

3 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by Forwetinnah: 8:11am On Oct 24, 2016
I don't see why people who flaunt and disobey laws should ask others to fall in line. Booooohari is just wasting his time, 2 years to go

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by Flets: 8:13am On Oct 24, 2016
SillyMods:

Tender evidences that will be used to prosecute them in court to the same council they belong so they can frustrate their trial?

With the way JCN handled the cases taken to them before now, the body has proved it can't be trusted.

Then change the constitution ..... not abandon it. Without rule of law, there is no democracy.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by entparrot(f): 8:15am On Oct 24, 2016
SillyMods:

You're wrong sir.

Read the reasons DSS is reluctant to give such evidences. Pay attention to the highlighted part. Don't you think there is sense in what the DSS is saying?

In rule of law evidence play a very important role, you cannot indict someone without evidence. but opposite of it is what is happening in Nigeria, thats why., never pray to fall a victim, here is how police harass people. find someone to act as a complainant, create a petition, then use that complainant and petition to continue harassing innocent people with detention, you will understand it better when you experience it.

If DSS are really smart, they go undercover gather all the evidence, when someone ask for it, make a copy, keep the original.

In court of law there is what is called proof of evidence, when you charge someone to court, that proof of evidence is also make available to the defendant.

3 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by bilulu(m): 8:21am On Oct 24, 2016
babdap:
It is morally wrong for a judge facing trial on corruption charges to continue his duties as a judge.
Bros in Law there is nothing like morals or emotions...... Law is law. How can dey step aside without evidence? Same way u guys were clamoring for saraki n ekwueremadu to step aside or resign n face their trial and at d end wat happened?

3 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by freeze001(f): 8:21am On Oct 24, 2016
babdap:

The judges are facing no trial except u mean that all this media jamboree qualifies as legal and substantive trial. Take a moment and think this through then ask yourself:

What do I know really other than what I've been fed on the news? Is it okay to form an opinion against one and in favour of the other by mere conjecture on the news?

Again ask, should administrative procedures be adhered to if I am accused of taking bribe or of professional misconduct or is it okay for me to be suspended/removed from my office without an opportunity to defend myself within the same professional organisation and engagement I am accused of exploiting and misconducting myself?

Would you meekly submit to a decision to suspend u because of news reports when ur accusers have not told u what they have against u or u will even fight ur organisation for unlawful dismissal due to breach of fair hearing? Do u really want to fly blindly and trust that ur accuser means well for the general public at ur expense after harassing u and still not telling an administrative panel why the hell u have got to be suspended?

Maybe if u take it this personally it may sink in as to the monumental implications of demanding that judges step down when no administrative measures have been taken to enable them tell their own stories and evaluate the basis of whatever petition or complaint is being laid against them.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by thunder74(m): 8:22am On Oct 24, 2016
SillyMods:

NJC suspends and sanctions judges based on investigated petitions with evidence. On what bases would they be suspending the judges when DSS refuses to give them something to work with.

Secondly, our laws mandates prosecutor to make all his evidences available to the accused before trials.

Lastly, for me, from the government actions so far, it is obvious they wanted these judges out by all means. Even if the matters are filed in court today, they will be abandoned after all, the judges would have been suspended. Mission accomplished.

3 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by freeze001(f): 8:24am On Oct 24, 2016
SillyMods:

Take a moment and think this through then ask yourself:

What do I know really other than what I've been fed on the news? Is it okay to form an opinion against one and in favour of the other by mere conjecture on the news?

Again ask, should administrative procedures be adhered to if I am accused of taking bribe or of professional misconduct or is it okay for me to be suspended/removed from my office without an opportunity to defend myself within the same professional organisation and engagement I am accused of exploiting and misconducting myself?

Would you meekly submit to a decision to suspend u because of news reports when ur accusers have not told u what they have against u or u will even fight ur organisation for unlawful dismissal due to breach of fair hearing? Do u really want to fly blindly and trust that ur accuser means well for the general public at ur expense after harassing u and still not telling an administrative panel why the hell u have got to be suspended?

Maybe if u take it this personally it may sink in as to the monumental implications of demanding that judges step down when no administrative measures have been taken to enable them tell their own stories and evaluate the basis of whatever petition or complaint is being laid against them.

3 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by freeze001(f): 8:25am On Oct 24, 2016
Wazobia001:

Take a moment and think this through then ask yourself:

1 Like

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by Forwetinnah: 8:26am On Oct 24, 2016
Abbeyme:
But how does it concern the Presidency??

The citizens of this country called Nigeria are just too lazy to take up their own destiny into their hands.

People should have been in the streets to demand that the judges step down to clear their names, except we should regard them as 'Fellow politicians' that has no shame.
undecided

Now people are beginning to understand the game boooooohari and his Almajiri ancestors are playing directly from the Rock.
It has ALWAYS BEEN THE PRESIDENCY ...anything happening now to the opposition( not necessarily PDP members but anyone who calls out this useless administration) is straaaight from the Presidency. Forget the DSS and EFCC drama, those 2 bodies are their fronts. I have never seen an administration as useless as this...using all their time to box up anyone who tells them 'NO!!' while the common man suffers.
Forget this stupid story of corruption, all judges are corrupt depending on whose interest they want to protect..booooohari cant make the judiciary support him all the time, theyre a well educated/organised independent body unlike him and the silly cabal helping him ruin the country..If only they had brains, they'll concentrate on the economy

1 Like

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by falxx: 8:27am On Oct 24, 2016
tuniski:
Buhari should equally step aside for investigation of his certificate issue. Likewise all those in the executive with issues!
In addition, he should step aside to enable him investigated on the recovered loots. since his assumption of the recoveries, no amount monies revered has been mentioned. If Buhari is not the biggest thieve, why has he not mentioned the amount recovered as well as the people who looted the treasury?

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by jblackbell(m): 8:27am On Oct 24, 2016
babdap:
Don't bring Morality into this, because those asking them to step down don't have the moral standing to do so because, they are also corrupt.
Let's follow the rule of law or laid down principles and procedures of the law, what provision did the Law make in place for a situation like this, did the law provide for judges Suspected of an offence to step down? To the best of my knowledge of the Law the answer to this question is to Negative.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by entparrot(f): 8:29am On Oct 24, 2016
SillyMods:

Th evidence cant be a secret something, just make a copy and forward to them, and you can even present it to the media, for whole world to see the truth, so many people have suffered in this country, because police frame them up with lies and send them to jail to be on awaiting trials, after that police will ignore the case and make them spend almost 10yearsin jail and never come to prosecute this case.

If DSS truly have evidence they know what to do, anybody ask for it they will give it out without delay.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by chaloner(m): 8:35am On Oct 24, 2016
babdap:
tel dat to judge presiding over saraki

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by kcnwaigbo: 8:37am On Oct 24, 2016
SillyMods:

This is what will happen should NJC refuse to suspend those judges.

1. The judges will be arraigned in court irrespective of no suspension. No law says they can't be arranged.

2. The Judiciary will be further rubbished and lose further credibility in the eyes of Nigerians.

3. Nigerians will pressure the CJN/NJC to suspend those judges to at least bring some credibility back to the bench.
Go ahead and arraign the judges!!! Shebi it is judges that would preside over the cases? Arraign them without evidence and have your cases thrown out with penalty of damages

1 Like

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by kcnwaigbo: 8:39am On Oct 24, 2016
entparrot:

Th evidence cant be a secret something, just make a copy and forward to them, and you can even present it to the media, for whole world to see the truth, so many people have suffered in this country, because police frame them up with lies and send them to jail to be on awaiting trials, after that police will ignore the case and make them spend almost 10yearsin jail and never come to prosecute this case.

If DSS truly have evidence they know what to do, anybody ask for it they will give it out without delay.
The same DSS and EFCC that has been sending propaganda evidences to the media outlets like Sahara reporters are now scared of presenting it to the NJC? Tell me something

1 Like

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by timota(m): 8:41am On Oct 24, 2016
SillyMods:

And don't u think buhari should step down to defend his certificate

1 Like

Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by SillyMods: 8:45am On Oct 24, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

Go ahead and arraign the judges!!! Shebi it is judges that would preside over the cases? Arraign them without evidence and have your cases thrown out with penalty of damages
Who says DsS don't have evidences? That they don't want to give to NJC does not mean they don't have the evidences. Wait till they're arraigned in court to see evidence.

And it's childish and naive to think there are no credible upright judges to bring those corrupt judges to justice. Some upright judges will even fight to preside over those corrupt judges'cases.
Re: Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial by mapet: 8:52am On Oct 24, 2016
modath:

Council bars judges from taking gifts.

So, this nor dey una SOP before? cheesy

It is there in black and white o! but our NJC will want to insult our sensibilities with their knee-jerk reaction to something basic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Only States Can Give Land For Cattle Colonies - Ekweremadu / Just In: 469 Support Groups Threaten To Dump Atiku / Bayelsa & Kogi Governorship Elections: INEC To Disqualify Candidates Below 30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.