Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,026 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT (7199 Views)

Rivers Governorship Rerun: A Golden Opportunity To Shut The Mouth Of APC / Hoodlums Shut Down Alaba International Market On The Orders Of Tinubu's Daughter / 2015: Ohanaeze Endorses Jonathan, Threatens To Sanction Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by ifababa(m): 8:48pm On Oct 27, 2009
So what truth do we stand to get from our media/press and its practitioners these days,
DELE GIWA , SUN REOOOO
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by IYANGBALI: 8:51pm On Oct 27, 2009
una make i yarn una the truth all the gra gra way gbenga and co dey do for ait na to get recognition and settlement from the politicians especially the government, una don forget Levi Ajunama?make una just dey watch dem o,if dem make dokpesi minister today the rhythm go change for ray power/ait,i don yarn my own
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by EchuaA: 9:15pm On Oct 27, 2009
@Afam,
Just to let u know that if the Govt does not give sufficient information on its affairs what u get is rumor, beside Gbenga Aruleba has always made frantic effort to draw Govt offiicials to the program to tell their own side of the story, because they ar a bunch of unintelligible being with block heads and have nothing to say to Nigerians or explain their actions. Without such programs these idiots will sell this country without u and I knowing. Tell ur acronies to supply Nigerians with sufficient explanation as to their actions and I tell u no one will watch Focus Nigeria again
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by holyeye(m): 9:30pm On Oct 27, 2009
its damning and irritating if the report as contained in this post is true.
dunno y dis man cant see Nigerians are in a state of total despair and helplessness.
w created artificial recession by force through sanusi's rash actions
proposals are in top gear to unleash untold hardship on the citizenry by removing the subsidy on premium motor spirit - petrol
power is totally epileptic, convulsing daily with no sign of recuperatin anytime soon.
education worthless by the day
professors turned thugs
sports is gradually goin in2 extinction. The U17 world cup is takin place with a dearth of glamour and pageantry
economy nose dived
roads, security and infrastructure decayed
treasures ceeded to merchants (bimadcourtney)

AND

wat dis sick charlatan in power is thinkin of is hw to subdue and pocket d voice of d masses
let dem keep up their game and show of shame
let d gamble continue with d lives of Nigerians
someday very soon, d hunter will be d hunted/haunted
their loots will be our meat

Very sad indeed.
I read d story of a little gal of 7or 10 yrs thereabout last week who chose to commit suicide than get deported with her mother back to Nigeria. Thats a slap on our collective integrity and sense of belonging as Nigerians.

if a media house errs in its discharge of statutory duties, d regulatory authorities should investigate and prosecute if necessary. dumb ass illiterates

remember, no one lives forever. let their cohorts, spies nd advisers who ar active NL members take this back to dem.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by vislabraye(m): 11:15pm On Oct 27, 2009
Very sensational
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by denny4ril: 11:36pm On Oct 27, 2009
freedom of d press is being threatened!
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by amor4ce(m): 12:50am On Oct 28, 2009
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by Olong(m): 1:35am On Oct 28, 2009
Nigerians re darn too fearful!that Dokpesi of a guy is too weak willed to allow the initiative of such a controversial program in the first place.cowards dont go to war,now do they?
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by tundeblack: 6:17am On Oct 28, 2009
yaradua should have focust on his health instead of witchhunting
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by goodass(m): 7:44am On Oct 28, 2009
another ish, now i understand y i no see Gbenga Aruleba on d show on Mon. truth bitter!
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by Afam(m): 7:48am On Oct 28, 2009
Echua A:

@Afam,
Just to let u know that if the Govt does not give sufficient information on its affairs what u get is rumor, beside Gbenga Aruleba has always made frantic effort to draw Govt offiicials to the program to tell their own side of the story, because they ar a bunch of unintelligible being with block heads and have nothing to say to Nigerians or explain their actions. Without such programs these idiots will sell this country without u and I knowing. Tell your acronies to supply Nigerians with sufficient explanation as to their actions and I tell u no one will watch Focus Nigeria again

You see the problem I have with people like you who cannot process information like human beings. I don't work for the government and I don't work for anyone because I run a business like every other Nigerian who gets to comment on issues bothering Nigeria and Nigerians.

Why must anyone that does not believe in your rumor as you put it become a friend or defender of the government? Is this how low our level of reasoning has become?

When OBJ was in power even corrupt politicians who suddenly lost out in the power play in PDP automatically became defenders of the people by saying anything negative about OBJ.

For sure, I believe that majority of comments coming from this forum (even though the most popular Nigerian forum in the world) are dismissed and discarded because they are usually rumors, lies and unsubstantiated claims.

And the bandwagon and mob effect continues where people takes sides on argument based on what they think the majority is siding and in the process we have discussions that are far from responsible and factual.

If you base all you do on rumors then do not expect others to agree with them because reasonable people know that rumors will not get you anywhere in life.

It is possible for you to like Gbenga and his program while disagreeing with some of the things he does especially the way he does them. That is maturity and from the average age of people who write nonsense here I think they may need say 5 - 10 more years for them to begin to discuss responsibly.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by tundeblack: 8:41am On Oct 28, 2009
revolution seems d best for naija
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by temmytanny(m): 8:41am On Oct 28, 2009
lets pray the foolish president doesnt close down NAIRALAND too
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 28, 2009
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhh!

Signs of a failed state!.
I thought the proper thing is to take AIT to court if it is breaking the law! Threatening a "shut down" is just one those characteristics of a failed state.

Yet, me thinks that even shutting AIT is nothing compared to what Nigerians are going through.

Right now,
It takes road users about 12 hours from Port Harcour to Lagos because of bad roads.
Our governors, ministers, senators, etc are travelling Over seas for medical checkups because the facilities are not here.
Some of our graduates cannot write their names.
Our kidnapping industry is prospering because security is now a civic duty and not a civic right.
The other day, a taxi driver was handcuffed because he refused to pay the N50.00 extortion fee as imposed on him by some members of the NPF.
Just because of a rumour about deregulation of the petroluem industry, 10 litres of fuel sold for N2,500.00 in Port Harcourt.
Our democracy is so simple that someone from Ogun State will decide with someone from Borno State on who will govern Anambra State, and voted or not, he would "win".

Meanwhile, the elites on naira land are busy name calling each other over semantics.

My people are correct: "That when fire is burning the house, children are likely to be pursuing rats".
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by bibiking1(m): 10:27am On Oct 28, 2009
@ Afam i have tried to disassociate myself from your tirade, but now i must dispense a rejoinder in spite of my better nature. I must confess, you have come across with logical and plausible points in this discuss, you have made valuable contributions that has helped shape my understandin of certain key issues with regards to one's ability to express displeasure at a sitting government. However, i am still not in agreeable terms with your overall stance. At the risk of personalizin the discuss, i must say you sound like a man with a rather tainted conscience, one who has briefly been corrupted with the ideologies of the current rulin class. You fail to the wood for the trees my friend, the silencing of dissentin voices is the first step towards the establishment of a pseudo tyrannic regime. In this case, it would not be that sets one individual at the head of the clan, but a party. Gbenga had his excesses which i have denounced on two occasions publicly, but you have to admit that he exposes the ineptitude
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by bibiking1(m): 10:39am On Oct 28, 2009
, Of the current regime. When you see a sycophant journalist you know. You still forget that criticism ought to be the food of progressives. The essentiality of criticism in all its form is to allow the rulin class re-evaluate its policies. This is visible in the early post-revolution era of france and the post-revolution america. Until the hijackin of the revolution in Russia by stalin, the soviets served as an outlet for the critical analysis of the rulin class. Clamping down dissentin voices would only help perpetuate the calumny the rulin class represents
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by Afam(m): 11:09am On Oct 28, 2009
bibiking1:

@ Afam i have tried to disassociate myself from your tirade, but now i must dispense a rejoinder in spite of my better nature. I must confess, you have come across with logical and plausible points in this discuss, you have made valuable contributions that has helped shape my understandin of certain key issues with regards to one's ability to express displeasure at a sitting government. However, i am still not in agreeable terms with your overall stance. At the risk of personalizin the discuss, i must say you sound like a man with a rather tainted conscience, one who has briefly been corrupted with the ideologies of the current rulin class. You fail to the wood for the trees my friend, the silencing of dissentin voices is the first step towards the establishment of a pseudo tyrannic regime. In this case, it would not be that sets one individual at the head of the clan, but a party. Gbenga had his excesses which i have denounced on two occasions publicly, but you have to admit that he exposes the ineptitude

As usual, I will respond to anything I disagree with especially where wrong allegations are made about me. I maintain the highest level of professional integrity in business where projects worth hundreds of millions are turned down due to requests for kick backs or for illegal activities.

So, when it comes to your comment about tainted conscience I see you as someone that is desperate to divert the issues raised.

As stated, for the simple fact that I use my real name and my business and contact information is available for anyone on the internet to see I must not make statements I cannot defend and I will not do so to please the majority.

When I disagree with anything I put it in writing and send to the media and I have never been found wanting because I base what I write on facts, facts that cannot be refuted, facts that stand the test of time. I don't dwell on rumors, falsehood and conspiracy theories.

I design software and build database driven web applications for people. I build locally made inverters for people so I do not need government patronage whatsoever to survive and I maintain my credibility and integrity all year round without any fear of anything.

Gbenga was doing well until he started going out of control where he comes across as someone who may have been paid to discredit the government even with unsubstantiated claims.

I watch and enjoy the program even though I had reservations about the way he was doing the job because he was not being balanced and fair even to some of his guests as a journalist should.

Journalism is not the same thing as activism especially when you are working for someone because should something go wrong with AIT due to his own actions he will not be the only person that will suffer but all employees of AIT.

Let him setup a TV station and let us see whether he will do the same as the owner.

We must not be carried away by certain things lest we end up shooting ourselves in the foot.

I challenge and defend my right anywhere I am and I believe Nigerians should learn to do so.

I have practically fought with PHCN officials due to the fraud they perpetrate with meter readings and today I never get bills based on estimate and I pay for what I use as they know that I will never pay my bills based on the estimate and I have proven that in the past.

I do my part to curtail corruption by refusing to offer or pay bribes to police regardless of the issues. Sometimes I am detained for hours but I make it clear to them that even if I have to sleep there I don't have any problems doing so as I will never pay any bribe.

You cannot complain about corruption and anytime you have the opportunity you pay bribe to the police, PHCN, LATSMA etc and still have the guts to complain about the society.

So, better start effecting change in your own immediate environment and stop looking for the easy way out where all you do is claim every government official is an idiot or a thief and anyone that tries to present information based on facts is labeled a government agent.

Feel free to trash what I write as I am not a people pleaser so do not write to impress you or anyone. I follow my conscience and put down what i believe is the truth and what is not only factual but defensible if there is need to defend them.

I do not have the leeway most of you have to hide under screen names to make comments you cannot defend. As a matter of fact most of us here would end up in jail or pay heavily for libel if people begin to take us to task with some of the allegations we make.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by ProAnti: 11:18am On Oct 28, 2009
FOX news has been very critical of the Obama administration. One of the commentators went as far as calling Obama anti-white.
The Obama spokesperson replied by calling FOX news the publicity arm of the republican party. They didnt talk about closing down the station.
That is democracy at work.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by bibiking1(m): 11:32am On Oct 28, 2009
@ Afam i am sorry for the personal angle i brought to it, and also for casting aspersion on your integrity. It was not intended. However, when i say the ruling government is clamping down on dissentin voices you do not disagree with me, or do you? What happened to Mr. Ohu? Was he also an erring journalist? It would appear the only crime they are committin these days is denouncint the tyranny of the ruling class
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by Afam(m): 11:50am On Oct 28, 2009
bibiking1:

@ Afam i am sorry for the personal angle i brought to it, and also for casting aspersion on your integrity. It was not intended. However, when i say the ruling government is clamping down on dissentin voices you do not disagree with me, or do you? What happened to Mr. Ohu? Was he also an erring journalist? It would appear the only crime they are committin these days is denouncint the tyranny of the ruling class

Yes, no government will allow information that will discredit it to continue to come out if it can stop the information flow. No one can dispute this it is just that in this part of the world people are even killed just to hide information especially by the rich and powerful, not necessarily the government because to me the government represents the buildings and structures whereas those that run the affairs are the guilty ones.

As stated on another thread my position on tackling corruption is simple

Curtailing corruption is simple if we are honest to sort it out.

1. Match wealth and assets of people with their sources of income and let them explain the discrepancies if any.

2. Those that cannot explain the sources should forfeit same to the government for public use.

3. Those that have been proven to steal from the public treasury should be executed.

Do these things and corruption will be a thing of the past in Nigeria and that is when the younger ones with ideas will flourish and turn this country into a progressive one that will be the envy of the rest of world.

We have more than enough human and natural resources to guarantee that no one suffers unjustly

However, we should not make it easy for the government to shut down information channels just as we should not make it easy for armed robbers to rob us.

Thank God for the internet information flow is instant and the reach respects no physical boundaries. Should we then abuse the channel and give the government a reason to shut it down? No. That is why we must support and push for responsible discussions and criticisms without shortchanging ourselves by making it easy for the government to clamp down on any information channel.

Same with our own Gbenga, was the programme scrapped? No. Same programme but different anchor.

When El-Rufai started talking about FG's plan to refuse renewing his passport what happened? Did the government bother to respond? Nope.

Not until a compelling case was made by providing proof via correspondence and the next thing was someone was fired, the presidency dissociated itself and the issue of passport renewal sorted out.

That is how to use our intelligence to challenge government not insults and abuses that some of us throw around everyday which will make those we are supposed to be criticizing dismiss comments as childish because you don't need to taint a good criticism with insults as the insults may provide a back door for the respondent to focus on the insult and turn the issue into another thing entirely.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by marvix(m): 12:16pm On Oct 28, 2009
I think this action is long overdue because of people like Gbenga those of us who want freedom of information bill passed have to think twice. Some times on his programme he just goes off the mark making insinuations the media is not an avenue to disrespect and name call our leaders truly there should be decorum. Let us not forget that Dokpesi hosted the campaign for the upholding of the Uwais recommendations im sure that the president may not have threatened him but instead brought his attention to some rather sore points of the programme which could actually cost the media house its operatiung licence and Dokpesi had to act
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by ProAnti: 12:25pm On Oct 28, 2009
marvix:

I think this action is long overdue because of people like Gbenga those of us who want freedom of information bill passed have to think twice. Some times on his programme he just goes off the mark making insinuations the media is not an avenue to disrespect and name call our leaders truly there should be decorum.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental human right.
If Yar 'Adua feels aggrieved he should proceed to the law court.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by Moranike: 2:00pm On Oct 28, 2009
This is why the freedom of information bill (FOB) has not been passed into law uptill now, haw can a government of a great nation like naija detest public criticism whereas so many many issues are left unattended to.

AIT, please keep up the program
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by Moranike: 2:02pm On Oct 28, 2009
Does it mean that a station like AIT has no right to air a program like that again?
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by Afam(m): 2:12pm On Oct 28, 2009
Moranike:

Does it mean that a station like AIT has no right to air a program like that again?

I don't think AIT was asked to stop airing the program.

The issue is with the anchor man.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by ProAnti: 2:25pm On Oct 28, 2009
Afam:

The issue is with the anchor man.

The issue is not the anchorman. The problem is a government that is too sensitive to criticism.

Was the guy committing a crime? The answer is NO.
If he was, the law enforcement agents would have dragged him to a law court
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by toshacer: 3:52pm On Oct 28, 2009
manny4life:

Wow,  National Security ,   grin grin   TS/SCI ,   grin grin grin ,  Level D security clearance required to access classified info , 

So much for freedom of speech, TV columnist Glenn Beck of FOX 5 on several occasions called president Obama racist, used spiteful and hateful words  and even when his big sponsors including Wal-Mart revoked their contractual agreement, in fact, Texas, home of G.W. Bush welcomed him. I don't think he took a trip to white house, more so I don't think FOX 5 operational rights were threatened either

This just shows you know nothing about American politics and how they quietly clamp down on the opposition- do your research on how the Obama's administration is dealing with FOX.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by nex(m): 4:20pm On Oct 28, 2009
Fellow Nigerians, what is this all about?

What Yar'Adua did is the most diplomatic thing. He could sue AIT and with the laws of any land, he'd win. This is just simple out of court settlement. If AIT knew they would win a court case, they'd have called the President's bluff.

"The preliminary freedom extends as well as to the false as to the true; the subsequent punishment may extend as well to the true as to the false. This was the law of criminal libel apart from statute in most cases, if not in all"

"The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a crowded theatre and causing panick, The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such a way as to cause a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantiative evils that Congress has a right to prevent"

"The Constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit the State to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force or of law violation, except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such actions."

"The people shall not be deprived or abridged of their right to speak, to write or otherwise publish but false facts, affecting injuriously the life, liberty, property, or reputation of others, or affecting the peace of the confederacy with foreign nations."

None of the laws I've quoted above are from any Nigerian military decree or law, they are from legal documents guiding the USA. These laws are not always called upon so many transgressions of Fox News are overlooked but when there's a clear and present danger, you will all be witnesses.

CNN was almost like that, talking all sorts of crap about George Bush's policies, however, there was a time when the Iraqi was started and CNN, in trying to make us be the first to know, showed some dead bodies of USA soldiers on the streets of Iraq. George Bush had to threaten them to conformity.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by manny4life(m): 4:21pm On Oct 28, 2009
tosh_acer:

This just shows you know nothing about American politics and how they quietly clamp down on the opposition- do your research on how the Obama's administration is dealing with FOX.

Just for the record, I did not tell you I was an expert on American politics, just like the avearge american, I watch news everyday, read the Washington express every monrnig on my way to work. Besides, who said anything about politics?

Why do people like you always deviate from the main point?

Mr or Ms politcal expert, which ever you are, please educate me, did Obama request the CEO of fox to the white house, and the last time I checked Mr. Gleck Beck is still on his hating game. More so tell me how they are secretly dealing with it, oh I forgot its top secret that the news media knows nothing about it neither does the public know.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 28, 2009
This is the problem in the whole of Africa. Our leaders do not have the heart to hear the truth.it is very unfortunate.
May be African leaders should undergo a course on how to  tolerate  divergent views
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by oiseworld: 6:23pm On Oct 28, 2009
i cant believe the yar adua we have always prayed for could try such a thing.

the north can not just stand open criticism. they want us to be suffering and smiling. soon they will be heading for Nairaland.

i believe that soon, God we deliver us from this bondage of ABOKI mentality.
Re: Yar'adua Threatens To Shut Down AIT by Nobody: 2:39am On Oct 29, 2009
Some of these guys shouting ''freedom of speech!'', and ''we're a democracy'', OH, SO YOU KNOW ALL THAT AND YOU NEVER COMMENDED THE COUNTRY BEFORE HUH?

All full of complaints and insults. Now you see it can get even WORSE, and you suddenly remember how GOOD it used to be when you had ''freedom of speech'' to insult the govt on AIT.

Nonsense.

And YES, I agree with Yaradua's position on this. You can't just come on air and say anything that comes into your head, ''freedom of speech'' or no ''freedom of speech''!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Finally Speaks On His Divorce Saga / Umahi, Boss Mustapha, Ahmed Buhari, Others Attend 1st Aso Annual Lecture & Award / Aregbesola Signs MOU With London Borough.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.