Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Move To Australia Or Canada - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Move To Australia Or Canada (36131 Views)

Can I Travel To Australia With N4.5 Million? / Study "N" Work In Australia OR 90k Monthly Job In Lagos / Is Visiting Visa To Australia Advisable For An Intending Hustler? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by VickyRotex(f): 1:23pm On Nov 27, 2016
WellEndowed:
The OP who is already confused will be even "confuserrrrrr" after reading the responses on this thread.

If you are a Canadian citizen @maternal and want to visit Australia, I think you would only need to apply for ETA

@op like the "longer" throat we(Nigerians) all are just go for the two EOD cheesy

As in ehn! I confuse for the Op sef cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by gogochocolate: 1:24pm On Nov 27, 2016
I though about trying both countries then both i have a family it and it would have cost me about an additional two million naira for flight tickets to Australia aside having to source for apartments and pay for them and maintain my family for that duration. The costs were seriously adding up in such a short time. I had to pay close to 1.3 million naira for Aussie visa for i and my family asides the medicals which cost about 180 thousand naira at Lagos (This expenses where done at the old exchange rate) now the cost would have been probably twice. Travelling to Australia and Canada for this type of experiment would have meant serious more expenses and i would still have to choose one at the end so i simply stuck to Canada and choose my life in the deep freezer. grin grin grin grin grin grin. For months i dey find sweat wey i no dey see. Bros no matter what decision you take you would still feel the other one might have been better grin grin grin grin grin. take is from me.

5 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by VickyRotex(f): 1:25pm On Nov 27, 2016
ylinkz2020:

As if you know!!
I don tire!!

Canada looks okay. Especially with the proximity with the rest of the world and USA. Especially if one is business inclined.
But with Trump at the helm, who know what the next 4 years will look like, knowing that the canadian economy is very dependent on exports to USA

Remember what I told you! cheesy

In the end the decision is based on you.

Different strokes for different folks.

1 Like

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by VickyRotex(f): 1:26pm On Nov 27, 2016
gogochocolate:
I though about trying both countries then both i have a family it and it would have cost me about an additional two million naira for flight tickets to Australia aside having to source for apartments and pay for them and maintain my family for that duration. The costs were seriously adding up in such a short time. I had to pay close to 1.3 million naira for Aussie visa for i and my family asides the medicals which cost about 180 thousand naira at Lagos (This expenses where done at the old exchange rate) now the cost would have been probably twice. Travelling to Australia and Canada for this type of experiment would have meant serious more expenses and i would still have to choose one at the end so i simply stuck to Canada and choose my live in the deep freezer . grin grin grin grin grin grin. For months i dey find sweat wey i no dey see.

cheesy cheesy cheesy But there's Summer na grin

1 Like

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by VickyRotex(f): 1:32pm On Nov 27, 2016
lol. No need to take this ish personal biko.

Someone already said both places are good.

So I see no reason for arguments/debate.
Though I like the fact, that everyone is trying to state facts.

But just like every other place, there's no place without it's challenges, simply because we can't have it all.

And remember these countries can decide to change their laws anytime they wish to.

I can relate to some of the things Maternal said. And I appreciate the fact that he attached references. cool

I can also relate to some of the things Bandeco said. Although I wouldn't know for sure, as I've never been to Australia. (But some friends told me)

And like I said earlier, I'd really love to visit Australia some day.

And maybe then, I'd make my findings aswel and probably come back to this thread to give you guys an update. grin grin

But for now, even me sef confuse for the Op mehn. cheesy
Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by VickyRotex(f): 1:34pm On Nov 27, 2016
mystikal:

I'm guessing when he emphasized the female, he was implying he isn't married to a guy. You can never tell in this age of bobrisky, cait and the likes.

lol. I'm not sure that's what he was tryna emphasize. But no worries! smiley
Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by VickyRotex(f): 1:36pm On Nov 27, 2016
40manlappy:

@Vicky.Rotex: Which city/province do you live in?

Montréal/QC

1 Like

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by gogochocolate: 1:40pm On Nov 27, 2016
VickyRotex:

cheesy cheesy cheesy But there's Summer na grin

Summer in Canada is equivalent to the worst Hamartan in Nigeria. This my own take especially at night.

7 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by VickyRotex(f): 1:42pm On Nov 27, 2016
gogochocolate:

Summer in Canada is equivalent to the worst Hamartan in Nigeria. This my own take especially at night.

Hahahahaha. For real? Not so here. It can really get Humid at times during the Summer.
Do you live in Yukon ni cheesy cheesy
Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by gogochocolate: 2:00pm On Nov 27, 2016
Yukon kee.................... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin that one na eskimo be that. Edmonton Alberta....................... grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by spiggy: 2:29pm On Nov 27, 2016
[quote author=maternal post=51407473]Bandeco cool down. I apologized to the man already. Again both places are amazing to live in and I'd live in either one. No need to get personal, but I'll address your rant small. I simply can't address everything.

1. I'm sure OP plans to get citizenship eventually, hence opening him to both markets. Bureaucracy ? You get a job offer, flash your Canadian passport at the border with proof of the job offer, and you're on your way. I've done it before. I have many Canadian friends who are now living/working in the states. Some even got citizenship. Famous Canadians (Drake,Bieber, C.Dion,etc) go to work in the states all the time. You're a Canadian citizen with no criminal record, you get a job offer, that US work visa is yours period. Our military, financial institution,etc work with each other across the boarders all the time. Plus several states economy alone is twice the size of Australia's/New Zealand economies combined. Like a California for example. I'd rather just wait to get Canadian citizenship and test my luck in Canada or the US. And Canadians and Americans can visit each others country visa free for up to 6 months.

@op & maternal
Point 1 above is a moot point - Australian citizens also have access to the US market.....
https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/e-3-certain-specialty-occupation-professionals-australia

Something to bear in mind also when making your final decision between the two countries; only some certain occupations qualify for the E3 (Australia) or TN (Canada/Mexico) US work visas.

1 Like

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 27, 2016
gogochocolate:
OP, I was in the same shoe like you about two years ago. I applied, paid for and got both the Australia PR and Canadian PR. My own take s that the choice depends on you entirely. You would find it easier to integrate into Canadian system than the Australian because of certain similarities between Nigeria and Canada.
1. You would find it much more easier to drive in Canada than in Aussie. Believe me driving a car in the western world is so critical to survival and to getting certain key jobs. Australia uses right hand driving while Canada uses what we have in Nigeria. I was able to start driving comfortable in Canada barely a week after arriving Canada. You would have to learn driving again in aussie.
2. You should also look at where you have people that can give you soft landing and put you through the system as this is always critical for a new immigrant.
3. Australia has an excellent weather and Canada for me feels like living in a deep freezer virtually all year round.
4. Canadian system have many provincial regulations and just by moving from one province to another you have to start redoing things from the scratch again. Each has its own pros and cons but whatever you choose you will keep day dreaming about the other and wondering if the grass at the other side is not greener. grin grin grin grin. Anyway, i choose Canada in my case and still wonder in my moments if Aussie would not have been better option but only God Knows.
I disagree with the first advice though about driving. If you came to canada from the UK, Ireland, Japan or Australia. The only test you will need to take is an eye test, and you would be given your advanced license straight away. Whereas if you come from Nigeria, you would need to take a road test to even get your basic license. I have driven in countries using both RHD and LHD, there is not much difference... The most important thing is understanding the road rules. In a country like Nigeria..road rules hardly exist and irrespective of whether you move to canada or australia. You would need to take a driving road test.

3 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 27, 2016
gogochocolate:

It depends on the area. Summer is awesome in some places, but in southern sask. where i work, giant mosquitos go finish you for summer. They bite you everywhere and most especially in akward parts of your body. The summers are very very short too. Fall comes quick and the long winter begins all over again.lol. Someone mentioned earlier that southern areas of canada are not so cold. Everywhere in canada is cold except vancouver and maybe places with chinook weather. Regina/winterpeg are very close to the US, yet they easily go as low as -30 in winter and stay around that range for weeks.
All in all.... Canada is home to me, and i love the country....i had a chance to move to aussie but for whatsoever reason i found myself in the great white north.

Dont forget your winter tires peeps especially if you do alot of driving....stay safe.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by gogochocolate: 4:41pm On Nov 27, 2016
shinarambo1:

I disagree with the first advice though about driving. If you came to canada from the UK, Ireland, Japan or Australia. The only test you will need to take is an eye test, and you would be given your advanced license straight away. Whereas if you come from Nigeria, you would need to take a road test to even get your basic license. I have driven in countries using both RHD and LHD, there is not much difference... The most important thing is understanding the road rules. In a country like Nigeria..road rules hardly exist and irrespective of whether you move to canada or australia. You would need to take a driving road test.

Bros imagine you coming straight out of the plane and given a right hand drive car to drive in a new country, be frank would you feel confident to drive it ? Add that to coping with various signs you see in on the roads in Canada, different road design (separate demarcation for turning traffic) and having to depend fully on the GPS of the car because you don't know your way round anywhere. It could be disconcerting for any new immigrant coming from Nigeria where there is basically no form of road signs or traffic laws. I had driven for several years in Nigeria but the first time i drove in Canada with it was almost like i lacked confidence driving for the first time. My first trip my whole family just de pray because for the first time you have to drive and depend on a strange GPS voice for direction. The first time i heard " Keep right or left of the Forth" grin grin grin grin i was slightly perplexed but after about a three days i was driving my family everywhere in Canada. In the UK, fear never gree me to touch any right hand drive because the move in opposite directions to us in Nigeria. It takes a lot of the mental orientation to be able to cope and deal with that. My experience as a new immigrant with a family showed me that you have to learn to fend for yourself from day one as everybody is so busy to help you and believe me driving is key to settling down. Some kind of interviews i attended during my first few days in Canada the main area of concern for the job agency was if i could drive. Once i said yes, i got the job.

5 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by johnsontade: 5:01pm On Nov 27, 2016
gogochocolate:

Bros imagine you coming straight out of the plane and given a right hand drive car to drive in a new country, be frank would you feel confident to drive it ? Add that to coping with various signs you see in on the roads in Canada, different road design (separate demarcation for turning traffic) and having to depend fully on the GPS of the car because you don't know your way round anywhere. It could be disconcerting for any new immigrant coming from Nigeria where there is basically no form of road signs or traffic laws. I had driven for several years in Nigeria but the first time i drove in Canada with it was almost like i lacked confidence driving for the first time. My first trip my whole family just de pray because for the first time you have to drive and depend on a strange GPS voice for direction. The first time i heard " Keep right or left of the Forth" grin grin grin grin i was slightly perplexed but after about a three days i was driving my family everywhere in Canada. In the UK, fear never gree me to touch any right hand drive because the move in opposite directions to us in Nigeria. It takes a lot of the mental orientation to be able to cope and deal with that. My experience as a new immigrant with a family showed me that you have to learn to fend for yourself from day one as everybody is so busy to help you and believe me driving is key to settling down. Some kind of interviews i attended during my first few days in Canada the main area of concern for the job agency was if i could drive. Once i said yes, i got the job.

Well, it all depends on the individual. Australia roads also have lots of road signs and i didn't have any problem switching to right hand driving. Its all about being confident and registering it on your mind that you have to do the opposite of what you do in in Nigeria as regards road position and direction. That was the trick i used and it worked like magic...blended in easily.

1 Like

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by 40manlappy: 5:12pm On Nov 27, 2016
VickyRotex:

Montréal/QC

Cool. Hope to visit the province someday.

1 Like

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by 40manlappy: 5:16pm On Nov 27, 2016
VickyRotex:

As in ehn! I confuse for the Op sef cheesy cheesy

cheesy grin

You are not alone. I appreciate the interchange of facts and experiences though.

This thread may be useful to me in the not too distant future wink

2 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by johnsontade: 5:18pm On Nov 27, 2016
@OP My best advice for you is to follow your mind and go for whichever one you want because the decision is still yours at the end of the day.

I was also in a similar shoe sometimes last year because i also got ITA after i was nominated by Nova Scotia but i chose Australia without blinking an eye. I've been in Australia for less than a year and don't regret my decision one bit. I also have friends in Canada and would do a quick comparison based on my Australian experience and Canada knowledge(from friends).

1. Living Expenses: Living expenses in Australia may be a little bit higher compared to Canada but it greatly depends on where you live(city and surburb). I've checked online and some Toronto apartments are even more expensive than Sydney and the same applies to Vancouver. The same applies to buying a house.

The rent is nothing to worry about if you're ready to work, not too picky as regards jobs and don't live above your means because the wages are high(national minimum wage is $18 per hour) and the job market/economy is well structured in such a way that even the casual jobs(jobs that don't require any major skills or education) can earn you 1k Aud per week(thats $52k per year before tax = approx $43,500 after tax) thereby creating little gap between blue and white collar workers.

Do a quick Tafe certificate course in an health related field and you can easily get $30 upward an hour with loads of overtime and weekend penalty rates. Truck driving, construction labouring and other low skilled jobs all pay good $$$ per hr depending on the working condition(s) and location.

The pay difference between non-professional and Professional jobs isn't really significant at the initial stage and only starts widening a bit 5-10 years down the lane as the professionals move up their career ladder hence the reason why lots of Aussies don't fancy getting a uni degree as they can still earn good money and live a comfortable life with just an high school certificate or a TAFE Cert iii, iv or diploma
Food is relatively affordable and prices of other things like Cars and the likes is at par with Canada.

Australian workers are one of the highest paid in the world. Earning 6 figures as a professional is no big deal here as long as you're in the right field and good at what you do. Some graduates in some fields even start on 6 figure salaries (Mining, Oil and gas). Most Aussie professionals with 5-10 yrs experience in most fields earn 6 figure salaries and the tradies(Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters pull in 150k upwards easily annually). You can lookup jobs on www.seek.com.au and check out the salaries for yourself. Here are few examples:

https://www.seek.com.au/job/32337403?pos=33&ref=beta&tier=no_tier&type=standout&userqueryid=926222f644b2b4cbec16d3b77708fb91-8193709&whereid=1000

https://www.seek.com.au/150kjobs

Australia is a better choice if you're after the money as we definitely higher disposable monthly income than Canada after tax

2. Weather: We have just 3.5 months of winter which barely goes below 4 degrees on an average. You may not even need to put on a jacket on some winter afternoon as it only gets very cold at night and early in the morning. The weather for the rest of the year is very similar to Nigeria and may even get a little bit hotter sometimes.

3. Social Benefits & Allowances: You can look this up online but i know its similar to the Canadian structure (if not better). Examples are medicare, unemployment benefit which is paid fortnightly if you're out of job, maternity allowances for families with new born babies, disability allowances/packages, HECS fee help (interest free student education loan to be paid after you graduate and start earning an annual salary of 53k minimum) e.t.c

You can also get tax refunds at the end of the financial year all depending on lots of affecting factors/situation changes during the financial year.

4. Racial Discrimination / Multiculturalism: From my discussions with my friends in Canada, i think Canada is more multicultural and friendlier towards immigrants compared to Australia. Canada has had more early immigrants from all races compared to Australia firstly because Australia is farther and most african immigrants tend to choose the closer country and also because tuition in Canada is cheaper for international students compared to Australia hence pushing more students towards canada.

Having said all that, i have not experienced any form of ethnic or racial discrimination since i've gotten here.

5. Location/Distance: Canada is very much better in the regards as its closer to Europe, America and Africa. Australias is only close to Asia hence the reason why we have lots of Asians here(majorly indians and chinese).

6. Occupation Regulation & Tax: We don't have provincial sales tax in Australia and regulated occupations have only one national body which simply means you can always relocate to other states for work without going through any form of licensure process in the new state you're relocating to.

7. Activities/Social life: You can research on this yourself but i know Aussies are pretty laid back people that love spending time with family, going camping, bush hiking and boat sailing for those that have boats.

In summary, both countries are very similar in most aspects and whatever choice you finally make would be dependent on what you're really looking for but i can assure you that you can't go wrong with either of the two countries because being a Citizen of either of the two can take you anywhere as regards job mobility. Canadian Passport can enter 170 countries visa free while an Australian passport also gives you access to 167 countries visa free. Australian citizens can easily get work visa in Canada if they get a job offer vice versa. The same applies to working in the US if that is your ultimate goal.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by VickyRotex(f): 6:18pm On Nov 27, 2016
gogochocolate:
Yukon kee.................... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin that one na eskimo be that. Edmonton Alberta....................... grin grin grin grin grin

lol. cheesy My friend in Calgary told me it's not so bad during the Summer.
Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by VickyRotex(f): 6:20pm On Nov 27, 2016
40manlappy:

cheesy grin

You are not alone. I appreciate the interchange of facts and experiences though.

This thread may be useful to me in the not too distant future wink

Yea I appreciate it too.

And this thread is motivating me to visit Australia soon. grin

1 Like

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 27, 2016
gogochocolate:

I understand that one may be less confident..but driving lesson of a few hours would fix that if you are not confident enough.. The only difficult thing is just understanding the road rules. Else, people from the UK or Republic of Ireland wont be handed a license the moment they step into Canada. No road test..nothing at all except an eye test. Driving on one side of the road should really be an important factor when deciding what country to relocate to.
Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 27, 2016
johnsontade:

6. Occupation Regulation & Tax: We don't have provincial sales tax in Australia and regulated occupations have only one national body which simply means you can always relocate to other states for work without going through any form of licensure process in the new state you're relocating to.

Point number 6 is very important, and I can relate to that well. I and my madam both work in regulated professions. When the economy of a particular region slows down, we can't just wake up and say we want to apply for jobs in a different province without having the license to practice in that province. Licensing cost money too else it would have been easy to just get a license for each province.

Op's wife works in same profession as my madam. In the UK, it's easier to get into the profession just by attending a 1 year special conversion program at a Uni. In Canada, it is much difficult, but it is very doable...for the efficos, it takes nothing less than two years of self-studying, group studying, writing regulatory exams, OSCE's e.t.c to scale through, and they only have three attempts at it or they would be barred from the profession. I am not sure if Australia has a similar model like that of the UK, so Op's wife might also want to consider which country offers easier entry to practice.

3 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by johnsontade: 11:59pm On Nov 27, 2016
shinarambo1:

Point number 6 is very important, and I can relate to that well. I and my madam both work in regulated professions. When the economy of a particular region slows down, we can't just wake up and say we want to apply for jobs in a different province without having the license to practice in that province. Licensing cost money too else it would have been easy to just get a license for each province. Op's wife works in same profession as my madam. In the UK it's very very very much easier for op's wife to get into her profession just by attending a 1 year conversion program at a Uni. In Canada, it is much difficult...it takes the geniuses (1st class grads of Nigerian Uni's) i know, nothing less than two years of self-studying, group studying, writing regulatory exams, OSCE's e.t.c to scale through, and they only have three attempts at it or they would be barred from the profession. I am not sure if Australia has a similar model like that of the UK.

I don't know much about licensure process for immigrant pharmacists but i think it also involves writing an exam and doing supervised internship. In general, i dont think its really much of an hurdle as there hasn't been high level of exam failure/difficulty complaints so far.

1 Like

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by Nobody: 12:41am On Nov 28, 2016
gogochocolate:
I though about trying both countries then both i have a family it and it would have cost me about an additional two million naira for flight tickets to Australia aside having to source for apartments and pay for them and maintain my family for that duration. The costs were seriously adding up in such a short time. I had to pay close to 1.3 million naira for Aussie visa for i and my family asides the medicals which cost about 180 thousand naira at Lagos (This expenses where done at the old exchange rate) now the cost would have been probably twice. Travelling to Australia and Canada for this type of experiment would have meant serious more expenses and i would still have to choose one at the end so i simply stuck to Canada and choose my life in the deep freezer. grin grin grin grin grin grin. For months i dey find sweat wey i no dey see. Bros no matter what decision you take you would still feel the other one might have been better grin grin grin grin grin. take is from me.

The OP does not have a problem. If choosing between OZ and Canada is what he considers a problem, then I have family members who would wish to have this same problem that he is sharing with us grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 28, 2016
VickyRotex:
lol. No need to take this ish personal biko.

And like I said earlier, I'd really love to visit Australia some day.

And maybe then, I'd make my findings aswel and probably come back to this thread to give you guys an update. grin grin

But for now, even me sef confuse for the Op mehn. cheesy

It's beautiful, you will like it. After high school my parents gave us three countries to choose from for uni studies. For me it was Canada, Australia, USA. USA wasn't even an option for me because as young as I was then, I knew it was only a matter of time before the country lost its "value". It came down to OZ or Canada. I chose Canada but my bros(in Australia) talked me out of it. He told me the land in Australia was too fertile and the earlier people got here and reaped from it the better for them. Australia is quite a distance from Africa so Nigerians only chose the US or UK but now their eyes "haff" open cheesy E remain small make I close border(just joking). cheesy

I did my undergraduate studies in Australia and stayed back afterwards and I LOVE THE COUNTRY. As per right hand drive, it never affected me and I was driving in Nigeria(left hand).

The pay is good-I KID YOU PEOPLE NOT. I did student casual work on my holidays back then and I was raking $26 per hour shocked As a naija pikin I fainted when I saw my first pay slip. I remember telling my bros to go the HR person at work and tell them that they paid me someone else's pay cheesy . At the time I was thinking how a student who did only a few shifts will be raking a little over $2000/fortnight? Oh Lawd Hammercy shocked

14 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by Nobody: 1:15am On Nov 28, 2016
gogochocolate:

Bros imagine you coming straight out of the plane and given a right hand drive car to drive in a new country, be frank would you feel confident to drive it ? .

I have to disagree with you here. I have travelled to countries for the first time that use LHD, picked up my airport car rental and driven myself around. As long as I have a GPS I can go anywhere.

I visit Nigeria at least 2wce every year and I switch to LHD while I am there without issues plus I am a girl undecided

3 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by maternal: 1:18am On Nov 28, 2016
Comparing the cost of living in Canada (Toronto/Vancouver) to Australia is very bias. Those two cities have the wealthiest people in Canada, especially in their downtown core. Comparing a mid-size city without their wealthiest residents would be more realistic. Also I keep on hearing those who live in Australia say their social benefits are better than Canada's. Yet I haven't seen any facts or better yet I haven't seen a benefit you guys have down there that we don't here. Universal healthcare ? Got it. Unemployment benefits ? Got it. Maternity leave/allowance ? We get up to a full year with 70-100 percent of full pay, and parliament is trying to make it a year and a half. Monthly allowance for a woman with a new born (its called baby bonus)? got it. Interest free student loan until you get into the job market ? Got it. And if you're from Ontario the provincial government will even pay for your university depending on you or your parents salary. Being able to claim certain things on your tax return especially if you're low income ? Got it. Honestly what's so amazing about Australia's social benefits that Canada doesn't have ? This may impress Americans only.

Furthermore, we've established Aussies (Can I say that ?) make a few thousand more per year, but at the same time their cost of living is also higher. Even if costs of things are similar in Canada (which is not) we can just cross the boarder into the states where things are dirt cheap. Another North American perk. And I've shown articles which has proved Canada has the wealthiest middle class. So I'm curious to know how Aussies have more disposable income ? I'm pretty sure the money parents would save in Canada not having to pay for their children's University education would trump (no pun intended) any disposable income an Aussie would have over a Canadian. The price of a post secondary education is getting out of control. I just want to know where this perception is coming from. Now when it comes to one of the highest paid, and an utter idiot making good money, Canada has to be one of the top country for that. It's not uncommon to see people with a 8th grade level education make 6 figures in the oil industry. To begin with not much people would agree to work in the oil-field for under 6 figures. That's even the starting rate. Cleaners make that let alone engineers or people with a red-seal trade.

A few years ago the average yearly salary for a oil-sand worker here was 130k USD per year. That's around 173k Canadian per year. I use to clear 140k easily when I use to take OT. Now with a pikin and family obligations it's around 105-110k per year. The older you get, the less you care for OT. I have a degree which has nothing to do with my work and I have no trade. Even within the city, ordinary transit drivers can make 100-130k per year. The city of Calgary is looking for a receptionist at 37 dollars an hour. That's like 76k per year without OT. These jobs only require a high school education where you can train a retarded monkey to do it. But I've met Nigerians in the oil industry with an education. That's having a red seal trade, engineering degree, or some sort of 1 year diploma. They don't make less than 150k to 300k. I've met so many Africans who came here as a skilled worker, got their PR, rushed to the oilfields, and 4 years later have bought a house and are living good. Establishing yourself and owning a house in a new country within 4 years is impressive.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/salaries+average+Survey/9719742/story.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2011/03/31/300_workers_join_ttc_topearner_club.html

https://recruiting.calgary.ca/psc/pdhr/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&JobOpeningId=207999&PostingSeq=1&SiteId=1&

3 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by Nobody: 1:32am On Nov 28, 2016
The OP could figure out what he wants. I am saying this because what attracts person A might not attract person B. If he is someone that wouldn't mind working in the US then Canada might be a better choice...hang on even Aussies have the E3 visa that allows citizens work in the US.

Damn I have even more confused than the OP now.

OP choose one. You won't regret it...hopefully undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by johnsontade: 2:01am On Nov 28, 2016
maternal:
Comparing the cost of living in Canada (Toronto/Vancouver) to Australia is very bias. Those two cities have the wealthiest people in Canada, especially in their downtown core. Comparing a mid-size city without their wealthiest residents would be more realistic. Also I keep on hearing those who live in Australia say their social benefits are better than Canada's. Yet I haven't seen any facts or better yet I haven't seen a benefit you guys have down there that we don't here. Universal healthcare ? Got it. Unemployment benefits ? Got it. Maternity leave/allowance ? We get up to a full year with 70-100 percent of full pay, and parliament is trying to make it a year and a half. Monthly allowance for a woman with a new born (its called baby bonus)? got it. Interest free student loan until you get into the job market ? Got it. And if you're from Ontario the provincial government will even pay for your university depending on you or your parents salary. Being able to claim certain things on your tax return especially if you're low income ? Got it. Honestly what's so amazing about Australia's social benefits that Canada doesn't have ? This may impress Americans only.

Furthermore, we've established Aussies (Can I say that ?) make a few thousand more per year, but at the same time their cost of living is also higher. Even if costs of things are similar in Canada (which is not) we can just cross the boarder into the states where things are dirt cheap. Another North American perk. And I've shown articles which has proved Canada has the wealthiest middle class. So I'm curious to know how Aussies have more disposable income ? I'm pretty sure the money parents would save in Canada not having to pay for their children's University education would trump (no pun intended) any disposable income an Aussie would have over a Canadian. The price of a post secondary education is getting out of control. I just want to know where this perception is coming from. Now when it comes to one of the highest paid, and an utter idiot making good money, Canada has to be one of the top country for that. It's not uncommon to see people with a 8th grade level education make 6 figures in the oil industry. To begin with not much people would agree to work in the oil-field for under 6 figures. That's even the starting rate. Cleaners make that let alone engineers or people with a red-seal trade.

A few years ago the average yearly salary for a oil-sand worker here was 130k USD per year. That's around 173k Canadian per year. I use to clear 140k easily when I use to take OT. Now with a pikin and family obligations it's around 105-110k per year. The older you get, the less you care for OT. I have a degree which has nothing to do with my work and I have no trade. Even within the city, ordinary transit drivers can make 100-130k per year. The city of Calgary is looking for a receptionist at 37 dollars an hour. That's like 76k per year without OT. These jobs only require a high school education where you can train a retarded monkey to do it. But I've met Nigerians in the oil industry with an education. That's having a red seal trade, engineering degree, or some sort of 1 year diploma. They don't make less than 150k to 300k. I've met so many Africans who came here as a skilled worker, got their PR, rushed to the oilfields, and 4 years later have bought a house and are living good. Establishing yourself and owning a house in a new country within 4 years is impressive.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/salaries+average+Survey/9719742/story.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2011/03/31/300_workers_join_ttc_topearner_club.html

https://recruiting.calgary.ca/psc/pdhr/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&JobOpeningId=207999&PostingSeq=1&SiteId=1&

@maternal. This isn't an argument or competition between both countries. If you read my post well, you would see i mentioned the pros and cons of both countries. We are all just trying to advise OP based on first hand info.

Talking about bias comparison, i don't think its bias to compare Toronto/Vancounver to Sydney/Melbourne because those are also where the wealthiest people live. Cost of living is very much cheaper in other cities like brisbane, perth and Adelaide.

Secondly, everyone knows the oil and gas sector pays well in both countries and people working there here in Australia also make shitload of money(same applies to the mining industry).

We all know Canada oil and gas workers gets paid well cos most people aren't too willing to move up north for work all due to the weather condition hence the reason why most immigrants are rushing there cos they don't mind the weather as long as the money is being made.

Like i said earlier, the OP can't go wrong with either of the two countries as they both offer almost the same benefit(s).

10 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by Nobody: 2:16am On Nov 28, 2016
johnsontade:

@maternal. This isn't an argument or competition between both countries.

Aye Aye masser

1 Like

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by maternal: 2:20am On Nov 28, 2016
It's just friendly lil competition. Nothing personal. After all I have no plans to get up and leave for AU, neither do people living down under to come up here. I'm actually learning a lot about AU in this thread. Just a question. Please don't laugh, but how common is it to see a Kangaroo. Do you have to go to a zoo, or you can find them roaming around freely in suburban areas.

2 Likes

Re: Move To Australia Or Canada by johnsontade: 2:41am On Nov 28, 2016
maternal:
It's just friendly lil competition. Nothing personal. After all I have no plans to get up and leave for AU, neither do people living down under to come up here. I'm actually learning a lot about AU in this thread. Just a question. Please don't laugh, but how common is it to see a Kangaroo. Do you have to go to a zoo, or you can find them roaming around freely in suburban areas.

What if i tell you i haven't seen a Kangaroo physically since i got here smiley. They can easily be seen in the Zoo though as well as the regional/semi-rural areas or the outbacks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abuja Airport Closure: Calibration Helicopter To Be Used In Kaduna Airport (Pic) / Xmas: Travelers Should Be Wary Of This Danger On Interstate Highways (PHOTOS) / 20 Most Insanely Overloaded Vehicles You Will Ever See On Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.