Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

"365": A Novelette - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "365": A Novelette (39352 Views)

Jack And The Residents Of No. 7 Cole Street (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / An Unusual Christmas In Ibadan (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Slaves In The Soul : A Novelette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "365": A Novelette by Lleigh(f): 8:29am On Dec 03, 2016
Very nice update swann.

Izzy....is trouble. Leaving men at the altar.

Hmm...

Well David should find it hard to be with Izzy if he loves kayley.....

Glued swann

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 03, 2016
Lleigh:
Very nice update swann.

Izzy....is trouble. Leaving men at the altar.

Hmm...

Well David should find it hard to be with Izzy if he loves kayley.....

Glued swann

Where have you been shocked? It's really nice to have you back here... Thanks for reading the update. Remain glued grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Jay542(m): 9:37am On Dec 04, 2016
Thanks for the dedication swann kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Creeza(m): 9:58am On Dec 04, 2016
I just reserve my comment until things get hazy and complicated. Nice work swann am following on a '' 365'' basis *winks*

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 04, 2016
Creeza:
I just reserve my comment until things get hazy and complicated. Nice work swann am following on a '' 365'' basis *winks*

Thanks for following and reading smiley smiley

Jay542:
Thanks for the dedication swann kiss

You're welcome dear smiley smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by DaddySLY(m): 12:57am On Dec 05, 2016
hmmmmmmm......
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 1:11am On Dec 05, 2016
Swann.. Update, please

Two in a row would be good wink
Re: "365": A Novelette by Jay542(m): 9:02am On Dec 05, 2016
Swann what's happening na We need updates bikowink
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 05, 2016
DaddySLY:
hmmmmmmm......

Lawlahdey:
Swann.. Update, please

Two in a row would be good wink

Jay542:
Swann what's happening na We need updates bikowink

Sorry i haven't updated in a while. I've been really busy but Thank you for sticking around. Updates are tomorrow. And yes, @Lawlahdey, double updates smiley smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Lleigh(f): 9:44am On Dec 05, 2016
Ok swann.....

Take your time to get the creative juices going

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by AJvine(m): 5:05pm On Dec 05, 2016
Nice write up...enjoying the story plz keep it coming. God bless ya.
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 05, 2016
AJvine:
Nice write up...enjoying the story plz keep it coming. God bless ya.

Thank you for reading smiley smiley God bless you too...
Re: "365": A Novelette by Lleigh(f): 6:39pm On Dec 05, 2016
Swann check your email

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Lleigh(f): 8:39pm On Dec 05, 2016
Sent some swann
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 05, 2016
Lleigh:
Sent some swann

Seen. Thank you very much. I'll use them smiley smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 05, 2016
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 05, 2016
KissChrix:
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 9:07pm On Dec 05, 2016
swann:

Update is tomorrow but thanks for stopping by smiley smiley
You must compensate Us o wink
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 05, 2016
KissChrix:

You must compensate Us o wink

For sure grin
Re: "365": A Novelette by MzzAmiable(f): 5:03pm On Dec 06, 2016
i love your story but the updates are slow though...

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 06, 2016
Swann, nawa o cry
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nwiboko26(f): 6:19pm On Dec 06, 2016
Am seeing Daniel nd David are they two different personality or is it a typographical error
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2016
Nwiboko26:
Am seeing Daniel nd David are they two different personality or is it a typographical error

No dear. David is Kaylee's ex while Daniel is her brother. Pluto mentioned it in a chapter 4
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 06, 2016
CHAPTER FIVE

“Ready?” Pluto asked as he leaned on Kaylee’s door. He walked in and almost tripped on a plastic wrapping lying on the floor but steadied himself by holding on to the edge of Kaylee’s bed.

“Almost,” she replied as she stood in front of the mirror, taking a bit of styling gel from a container by her bedside cabinet and smoothing her edges. She turned around to see almost sitting on the floor, holding onto her bed. “Are you alright?” she asked him.

“You forgot to remove the plastic wrappings on the floor,” he said, raising the intonation at the end of the sentence which made it seem more of a question.

“I’m sorry,” Kaylee said as she took his hands and helped him up. “I guess I forgot.”

“It’s okay, I understand. I’ll wait for you in the living room.”

He walked out the room and Kaylee returned to the mirror. It had been two weeks since she returned from the hospital and her condition had only worsened. The first night after she returned, she woke sweating, her left arm shaking violently and she held it with the other free arm until it stopped. She had been given some shots to inject into her arm whenever the spasms came but that night as she had tossed and turned on the bed she realized she could not remember where she had kept it. Dementia, another symptom. So she closed her eyes and beared the pain which lasted for an hour. She was used to it anyway. It was the first symptom that alerted her for the need of a test. The next day, she told Pluto about it and he agreed to move in with her and be a fulltime caregiver. She had a found out a little about him since then. He was the only son of his parents and had an older sister, who he lived with and he had a niece she guessed was named Yuyu, but she had forgotten. She smoothed her edges for the last time before grabbing her bag and walking out the door. As she did, she felt an itch on her ear and flicked it to discover she wasn’t putting on earring. She rushed back and saw the gold love shaped earring next to the gel on the cabinet.

“Ready,” She said to Pluto as she stepped into the living room. He held her hands and they both went out of the house.

David turned his pillow on the bed to lay his head on the cold side. At night, the heat was so overwhelming he had to take his off his pajamas and sleep half-naked as his trusty Firman generator had not been so trusty and had broken down in the early hours of the night due to lack of fuel, something he could not get at that time. He turned to his side and saw Isabella sleeping. He sighed and turned again to lie on his back, facing the ceiling. He closed his eyes and tried to recall what happened the day he had seen Isabella at his parents’ house.

After she had confirmed she was the one, he dashed out of the reading room, almost tripping on the sofa in the living room. His mother ran to him and held his hand.

“What is it? What happened?” His mother asked as her hands trailed his face, wiping away the bead of sweat that had formed on his forehead.

“What is she doing here? I don’t want to see her,” David replied as he pushed her hands aside and walked towards the door. He grabbed the door’s handle and was about to open it before he heard his father’s voice telling him to wait.

“Let’s talk before you go,” his father said as he turned and walked to his bedroom.

David followed him to his room and stood opposite the chair his father sat on.

“You should sit,” The man said as he stretched his hand to tap the chair besides him.

David walked to the chair, kicking a slipper aside as he did before sitting on the chair.

“Did you meet Isabella?” he asked as he crossed his legs

“Yes,” He answered. “But that doesn’t mean I want to have anything to do with her.”

“What about Kaylee?”

“We aren’t together anymore.”

“That was quick. She came here last week while you were away telling me how she wanted to break up with you and how she needed my help for that because she had found someone new.”

David hit the arm of the chair and looked away. “You’re lying,” he yelled as he stood up and made for the door

“Why don’t you ask her yourself?” his father screamed back at him.

“I will,” he replied as he slammed the door shut.

David drove to Kaylee’s place and was a few houses away when he saw a black car pull up at her gate so he pulled over too, to watch who was going in. A man he had never met came out of the car and opened the passenger’s door opposite his and Kaylee came out. He saw them hug then they both went into her house. He held his head with his two hands and hit it on the steering wheel. He had hoped that his father was lying but even if he had, one thing was clear, Kaylee had moved on. It hasn’t even been three days, he thought as he drove off.

It was evening when he reached his parents’ house. He joined them for dinner as he felt he wouldn’t be able to cook when he returned home. It was eaten quietly until his father spoke up.

“Did you confirm what I told you to, David,” his father asked him as he sipped on his water.

“Yes,” he replied, not taking his eyes off his food. “You were right,” he added. He couldn’t tell him he did not ask. He would ask why and he would think again about what he had seen, what he didn’t want to remember.

He jumped out of the bed. He couldn’t keep up with the remembrance. The rest of it was too much for him to think about but somehow it had been decided Isabella would stay with him. His thinking had been hazy then so he couldn’t argue about it. He smelt coffee next to him and looked at his bedside table.

“Good morning,” Isabella said to him.

He looked at her as she stood by the windows, the morning breeze blowing her brown, silky hair. “Morning,” he replied as he looked away to the coffee.

“It’s such a beautiful morning, isn’t it?”

“Yah, I guess.”

“I think we should go to the beach today,” Isabella said as she removed some strands of hair the breeze had blown into her mouth.

“I have to go to work and besides its Monday. Nobody goes to the beach on a Monday, it’ll be empty,” he said as he took the coffee and walked out of the room.

“Well, I don’t care. If you’re not going, I’ll go alone,” She said to herself as she sipped on her coffee and waved at the gate man.

9 Likes 10 Shares

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 06, 2016
CHAPTER SIX
Kaylee lay on the shore of the beach. She closed her eyes and let the tides touch her skin as it advanced and ebbed. It felt like tiny feathers gently caressing her skin. The breeze smelled like rosewater which had been left to mix with vanilla due to the excess presence of both plants around the beach. She could hear the birds on the palm trees chirping a song, one that to other humans would sound unsynchronised, but to her it felt more harmonised than most human songs she had heard. She yawned and the taste of the breeze fell on her tongue. It tasted exactly the way it smelt. To her, this was unity that she soon would sadly leave.

“Are you going to spend the entire day splashing around in the water? Pluto asked as he came up behind her.

“Your shadow is blocking my sun,” She replied.

“You could get sunburn.”

“I will get up not because of the sunburn, everybody knows that black people don’t get sunburnt but because I don’t think I can feel my legs. Please help me up,” she said as she stretched out her hands for Pluto to hold it.

He helped her stand and they walked toward the palm tree which provided some shade. Their bags were already there so they laid a blanket on the floor.

I’ll go get some drinks from the bar down there, so stay put. If you have any issues call, no, scream my name,” he said as he stood up. “What would you like to have by the way?”

“Coke, please.”

She watched him as he walked towards the bar. His legs left deep prints on the sand she was sure hers wouldn’t fit. The bar wasn’t as close as she thought it would be or maybe it was because he walked slowly. She folded her arms and turned. She could see a tall, light skinned woman approaching. She wore black and white polka dot one piece short and had no shoes although she could see the a sandal peeping out from the woman’s bag. The woman brought out a Frisbee and began throwing it to short distances and would walk, pick it up and throw it again. She did this four times before throwing it aggressively and it went towards Kaylee direction and hit her on her forehead making her fall backward. She could hear the sound of the woman’s feet as she ran towards her

“Oh my goodness! Are you okay?” The woman asked as she helped her sit up.

She brought out iced water from her bag and placed it on Kaylee’s head. “I’m sorry but you’ll have to manage this, I don’t have an ice pack,” the woman said as she took Kaylee’s hand and put it on the water. “I’m Isabella, by the way.”

Kaylee opened her eyes to look at her. The woman’s eyes were a light shade of brown.

“I’m Kaylee,” she replied.

“Well Kaylee, It’s nice to meet, unfortunately in this kind of situation,” the woman said with a laugh.

“I guess fate wouldn’t have it any other way,” Kaylee said and they both laughed.

“I’ve got to go now. I have a lot of places to visit after here so I need to take in as much of here as I can,” Isabella said as she rummaged through her bag.

“That’s alright.”

“Here,” Isabella said as she handed Kaylee her card. “Call me later, so we can go out tomorrow as compensation for what I’ve done to you and for the fact that I can’t wait to make sure you are fully alright.”

“You don’t need to do that,” Kaylee said as she collected the card from her.

“No, I insist. I won’t feel at peace if I don’t,” she insisted as she stood up with the Frisbee and sprinted to the direction she was walking in before the accident.

“Your water,” Kaylee called out.

“Keep it and nice earrings by the way,” she shouted back.

Kaylee touched her ears and smiled.

“Who was that?” a voice shouted and she turned to her side. It was Pluto.

“A friend of mine.”

“I thought you had gotten yourself into trouble with someone,” he said as he sat on the blanket and tried to catch his breath.

“I think we should go home now,” Kaylee said as she took the drinks from Pluto and put it inside her bag.

“Okay. Hold on for a sec, I need to rest for a while.”

Before applying her face cream in the evening, Kaylee removed her earrings. It made her remember the woman she had met in the afternoon. She opened her wardrobe and brought out the bag she had carried to the beach and searched for the card. She found it in the zip by the side of the bag. She sat on the bed and called the number. It rang for a while before she picked it.

“Hello, Its Kaylee” she said into the phone.

“Oh, hi,” Isabella replied. “Sorry but I’m a little bit busy now but can I send you an address we can meet at?”

“Sure.”

“Okay, thanks for calling. I’ll save your digits. Bye.”

“Bye,” Kaylee said before hanging up the call.

She took the face cream, squeezed out a bit onto her hands and patted it on her face. She stopped when she heard her phone’s message tone ring.

Poetry Palace, opp. Charlize’s Bakery. 6:00pm. Love, Izzy

9 Likes 11 Shares

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 06, 2016
Cc Makydebbie

Kisschrix
Lleigh
Ajvine - Thank you for reading...
Jay542
Lawlahdey
DaddySLY
Jagugu88li
Skarlett
MzzAmiable
Mhiz
Twaci
Colik

I haff updated ooh grin grin

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:01pm On Dec 06, 2016
**Shedding tears** cry

I never thought this day would come cry

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 06, 2016
KissChrix:
**Shedding tears** cry

I never thought this day would come cry
It's okay, You can wipe away your tears now. The day is here cheesy cheesy
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 06, 2016
swann:

It's okay, You can wipe away your tears now. The day is here cheesy cheesy
**Wipes eyes**
**Prepares to read updates** smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 06, 2016
...and now it starts. Jesus, David finding out that Kaylee didn't really move on infact, his wife (Izzy) has been friends with her.

There's gonna be lots of crying here.

Nice one! wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:53pm On Dec 06, 2016
jagugu88li:
...and now it starts. Jesus, David finding out that Kaylee didn't really move on infact, his wife (Izzy) has been friends with her.

There's gonna be lots of crying here.

Nice one! wink

I can't wait for him to find out too. That'll be my best part grin. Thank you for reading smiley smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by yorhmienerd(m): 9:03pm On Dec 06, 2016
Two women oblivious that they are sharing a man, hmmm... lipsrsealed
Nice one swann

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / A Girl Called Fib & The Axe Of Fury / Robinson Crusoe: Who Else Remembers This Novel? Indomie Generation Stay Off.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.