Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,433 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

"365": A Novelette - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "365": A Novelette (39358 Views)

Jack And The Residents Of No. 7 Cole Street (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / An Unusual Christmas In Ibadan (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Slaves In The Soul : A Novelette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 09, 2016
CHAPTER SEVEN

ajVINE aloyalnigerian

Kaylee sat on a chair in front of her mirror with her neck twisted sideways as she watched Pluto help her put on her necklace.

“Stop moving your neck so much,” He complained as he tried to hook the necklace but finally got it and let out a sigh.

Kaylee stood up and looked at herself in the mirror. Her makeup was done by Pluto. After he had done it she had jumped up quickly to look at the mirror thinking it would come out not so well but it did, surprisingly. She never knew he could do makeup as well as he did and he told her that he had picked up a few things watching his sister and mother as a child.

She took her favourite perfume and sprayed it in all the places she had read would bring out its smell - her neck, wrist, elbow and behind her earlobes and knees - but it didn’t still feel okay to her so she ended up spraying it everywhere. She looked again at the mirror and her eyes trailed to her ears and she noticed she had not put on her earrings so she brought out her jewellery box from her wardrobe and selected from her earrings one with a small, round diamond encrusted with a small silver ring around it. She had gotten it from David for their two year anniversary gift, the same day she gave him the suit. He had told her it was an original Emiliano Alvarri brand, not that she cared anyways for brands but as long as something looked pretty and wearable she would take it. She handed the earrings over to Pluto to help her put it on as she sat back in front of the mirror.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you,” Pluto asked as he put the second earring. “You know, in case of anything.”

“I’m thinking you should. This “thing” can be so unpredictable,” she replied as she flicked her ear.

“Okay,” he said. “I think you’re ready now. Let’s go,” he added as he walked the room.

Kaylee grabbed her clutch purse from the bed and followed him.

“Isabella?” Kaylee asked a woman sitting with her back turned, alone on a table.

“It’s me,” the woman said as she turned around and flashed Kaylee a smile. “Please sit.”

Kaylee observed that the woman’s teeth were pearly white and complemented her thick, bow shaped lips which were accompanied with a nude, matte lip gloss . She also had a light makeup of a subtle pink eye shadow and a minimal amount of blush.

“It’s nice to see you again,” Kaylee said as she sat opposite her and Pluto sat by her side leaving an extra seat beside Isabella.

“Is this your boyfriend?” Isabella asked as she saw Pluto sit by Kaylee’s side.

“I wouldn’t exactly put it that way.”

“But you live together?”

“Why don’t I go by us some drinks?” Pluto interjected.

“That would be great. I’ll have a Coke,” Isabella said.

“Me too,” Kaylee added.

The table became silent as Pluto left with both women looking at the table. Kaylee sighed and tucked her hair behind her ears.

“OMG!” Isabella exclaimed causing Kaylee to look at her surprised. “Is that an Emiliano Alvarri earring?”

“Yes.”

“That’s my brother,” Isabella said grinning.

“You’re kidding, right? Kaylee asked as she smiled and face palmed herself.

Isabella brought out her phone and showed Kaylee a picture of her with her brother on her birthday last year. She had celebrated it in Nigeria and her brother had flown down to see her.

“You’re really not kidding. But why are you in Nigeria? Aren’t you meant to be in a place more ‘fancier’?” Kaylee asked her as she handed Isabella’s phone back to her.

“I’m Nigerian, actually. My mum is Nigerian making me half Nigerian. I lived here for most of my childhood but I had to go back to Italy after my parents died to stay with my grandma. We came back this year, my sister and I for a very important occasion but it couldn’t hold. So right now I stay with my boyfriend. You should see a picture of him, he is so handsome. His name is Da-.”

“Here are the drinks,” Pluto interrupted.

“Thank you,” The two women said in unison.

A man mounted the stage in front of them and adjusted the microphone to his height. He stepped aside and cleared his throat then came back to the mike. He didn’t say a word but instead looked at everyone until they got the point that their voices were to be reduced. He then spoke.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” The man began. “Welcome to Poetry Palace. Our long awaited programme is about to begin. Tonight, we have a guest who’ll be presenting her very own slam poetry. This is her first time, so please encourage her by not laughing.”

The people in the room laughed, interrupting him.

The man continued. “Yes, exactly, don’t do that. Without wasting much time I present to you, Miss Temi Adams.

The crowds snapped their fingers as their way of applauding. Kaylee almost clapped her hands but stopped as she saw Isabella spread out her hands and snap her fingers. She looked up to the stage and saw a teenaged girl walking up the microphone. She couldn’t hear anyone talk now as they were all waiting for the girl to speak.

The girl held the microphone stand and looked at the crowd. Her breathing could be heard from the stage and Kaylee heard a man behind her joke how he could hear the girl’s heart beating.

A minute passed and the girl had not said anything and Kaylee was beginning to hear whispers behind her so she turned to take a look.

I think she’s scared,” a woman said to her friend.

She should get off the stage, she’s wasting time,” a man wearing a black t-shirt said to his friends.

“I’m going to give her some motivation,” she heard Isabella say before standing and snapping her fingers loudly it echoed throughout the room while shouting “You can do it” at the top of her voice.

The room became quiet again and the girl’s first words came out.

“The title of this slam poetry is three hundred and sixty five,” the girl said as she brought out a paper which was folded from her pocket and began to read it.

After she had said the first stanza, she squeezed the paper and threw it to the crowd. It landed near Kaylee so she picked it up and put it in her purse so she would look at it later.

When she finished her poetry, the fingers of everyone in the crowd snapped so much that Kaylee felt the roof would fall. It was louder than most claps she had heard. Personally, she really liked the poem and she looked at Isabella who nodded back at her as if telling her she felt the same way before looking at a message she had received on her phone.

“I just got a message from my boyfriend saying he is on his way, so can you wait a bit?” Isabella asked as she looked up from her phone. “I would like you to meet him.”

Kaylee was about to nod in approval before Pluto cut in.

“I’m sorry but I just received a message from the hospital so Kaylee and I need to rush down there. It’s an emergency,” Pluto said as he put his phone into the pocket of trousers.

“I hope everything is alright?” Isabella asked as she took her coke to have a sip but realized it was empty so she dropped it back.

“Everything’s fine but we have to leave now,” he said as he held Kaylee’s hand and stood up.

Kaylee grabbed her purse with her other free hand and wished Isabella goodnight before going out with Pluto. He helped her into her side of the car and ran to his, nearly knocking out a man in a red blazer. He apologized then entered into the car and drove off.

“David, you came quickly,” Isabella said as she smirked. “But not so quickly. You missed my friends,” she added.

“If you really had friends with you,” he said before sitting. “I’m sure this was just a setup for me to come here.”

“Believe what you may, dear. Plus, red is such a fantastic colour on you.” She replied before calling for the waiter.

A man came up on the stage, ready to announce the next poet.

Kaylee and Pluto looked at the doctor as he went through some files.

“I think you have to run the test again,” the doctor said as he looked up.

“Why?” Kaylee asked with a shaky voice.

“Pluto has been giving me updates about your symptoms and I noticed that they are not as rapid as someone suffering from CJD,” The doctor paused to breathe. “I think you have Alzheimer. The symptoms of both are very similar which may be a reason for my misdiagnosis. But I may be wrong on that too.”

“So what are we going to do?” Pluto asked.

“There a hospital that specializes on this, Carter’s Research Institute, I think it’s called, but it’s in South Africa. You have to go there for a new EEG scan and may have to stay there a while so your symptoms can be thoroughly evaluated as they come, as most symptoms of CJD do not come up until the disease has reached two-third of its course. So maybe you would have to stay there for five to seven months.”

“So what happens if turns out that I was misdiagnosed?” Kaylee asked as she wiped the sweat on her forehead with her hands.

“Then you’ll get to have more years to remain alive. You’ll live for another eight to twenty years,” the doctor answered. “With the right drugs, of course,” the doctor added.

“And what if it isn’t?” Kaylee asked again.

The doctor did not answer the question as everybody already knew the answer.

Pluto looked at Kaylee as she rubbed her hands together. The sweat on her forehead had increased, even with the presence of an air conditioner. He held her hands and asked her to look at him.

“Do you want to do this? I’ll be right by your side whatever decision you make,” he said her.

She looked at the doctor’s table as if searching for the answers on it. Going would mean finding out the truth of if she was really misdiagnosed. It would also mean giving herself false hope. Staying would mean she didn’t care enough for herself. She wondered what she would do if she wasn’t really misdiagnosed.

She looked away from the table to Pluto.

“I’ll go.”

12 Likes 10 Shares

Re: "365": A Novelette by AJvine(m): 4:45pm On Dec 09, 2016
happi to see the new update i have not read it yet cuz am very busy in the office will read as soon am done wit my office work. Nice and cool....#Swann.

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 09, 2016
cheesycheesy

#Finally

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by makydebbie(f): 5:12pm On Dec 09, 2016
Swann kiss

Jay542kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 09, 2016
This Pluto can spoil show sha lipsrsealed

So, Kaylee actually had alzheimer's disease... It's not common in young people tho

I feel bad for Her cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 09, 2016
Sorry I couldn't acknowledge my mention earlier, you're doing a wonderful job.

Thumbs up dear

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 09, 2016
makydebbie:
Sw.ann kiss

Jay542kiss
Thanks... the both of you... kiss kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 09, 2016
skarlett:
Sorry I couldn't acknowledge my mention earlier, you're doing a wonderful job.

Thumbs up dear

Thanks smiley. This means a lot to me kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 09, 2016
KissChrix:
This Pluto can spoil show sha lipsrsealed

So, Kaylee actually had alzheimer's disease... It's not common in young people tho

I feel bad for Her cry

Its uncommon, yeah, but not impossible wink... Thanks for reading...
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2016
AJvine:
happi to see the new update i have not read it yet cuz am very busy in the office will read as soon am done wit my office work. Nice and cool....#Swann.

Thanks for checking it out anyways smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by cassbeat(m): 9:11pm On Dec 09, 2016
following
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 09, 2016
cassbeat:
following
Thank you smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by iykekelvins(m): 9:42pm On Dec 09, 2016
What kindof misdiagnosis is this?
That doctor needs to be flogged.
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 09, 2016
iykekelvins:

lmao...This got me grin grin... Such misdiagnosis are quite common, sha
Re: "365": A Novelette by KingRex1(m): 10:31pm On Dec 09, 2016
Swann angry
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 09, 2016
KingRex1:
Swann angry

Hello smiley It's been quite a while smiley but thank you for for still keeping tabs on my story. I appreciate it smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by davide470(m): 11:34pm On Dec 09, 2016
Swann, cheesy

I am interested in the 365 poetry by Miss Temi Adams.

It keeps getting interesting. Nice one Lil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Adesina12: 8:12am On Dec 10, 2016
Nice one swann
I wish Kalee alive for more years and wanna know the content of 365 poem
Well done bae.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 10, 2016
davide470:
Swann, cheesy

I am interested in the 365 poetry by Miss Temi Adams.

It keeps getting interesting. Nice one Lil.

Adesina12:
Nice one swann
I wish Kalee alive for more years and wanna know the content of 365 poem
Well done bae.

Thanks, you both, for reading and commenting smiley As for the poetry, It shall be revealed later in the story smiley smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by Lleigh(f): 8:20am On Dec 10, 2016
Hi swann wonderful update.

You are great keep it up.

Cjd eh....even that is not a nice disease.

365 days. ......interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:37am On Dec 10, 2016
Lleigh:
Hi swann wonderful update.
You are great keep it up.
Cjd eh....even that is not a nice disease.
365 days. ......interesting
Thank you, lleigh smiley
CJD is truly not nice, i wouldn't wish it on my enemy...
Thanks again for reading my story smiley smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by Jay542(m): 9:05am On Dec 10, 2016
The poem tho. We would really love to know the poemwink

Swann smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by DaddySLY(m): 9:05am On Dec 10, 2016
iykekelvins:

yeye pikin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by DaddySLY(m): 9:07am On Dec 10, 2016
swann is bae... the way you write.. ts like watching in 3D... no... its like being resent there... like... i can see it... but ehm...swann.... *coughs* we need sex scenes na grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 10, 2016
DaddySLY:
swann is bae... the way you write.. ts like watching in 3D... no... its like being resent there... like... i can see it... but ehm...swann.... *coughs* we need sex scenes na grin grin

Aww thanks dear kiss kiss If need comes up for the "scenes", I'll put one in there wink But it's not a guarantee tho' grin grin...

Thanks for reading and commenting smiley

Jay542:
The poem tho. We would really love to know the poemwink

Swann smiley

Thanks Jay for reading and commenting. The poem will be revealed later on in the story
Re: "365": A Novelette by cassbeat(m): 9:37am On Dec 10, 2016
swann:

Thank you smiley
u welcome

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by iykekelvins(m): 9:43am On Dec 10, 2016
DaddySLY:

yeye pikin grin grin
Baba mi grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Jay542(m): 10:17am On Dec 10, 2016
swann:

Thanks Jay for reading and commenting. The poem will be revealed later on in the story

I guess so. The poem sounds like the story smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Sapphiredamsel(f): 10:47am On Dec 11, 2016
Story story, story story, storrrrrryyy ( in Lekki's wives soundtrack).
I so love this story, i'm following right away!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 11:12am On Dec 11, 2016
Sapphiredamsel:
Story story, story story, storrrrrryyy ( in Lekki's wives soundtrack).
I so love this story, i'm following right away!

Awwn thank you so much dear. Have a nice Sunday smiley smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 11, 2016
its official-i love this story

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 12:43pm On Dec 11, 2016
skillful01:
its official-i love this story
Thank you so much smiley smiley for reading, commenting and liking my story smiley...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / A Girl Called Fib & The Axe Of Fury / Robinson Crusoe: Who Else Remembers This Novel? Indomie Generation Stay Off.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.