Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

"365": A Novelette - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "365": A Novelette (39341 Views)

Jack And The Residents Of No. 7 Cole Street (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / An Unusual Christmas In Ibadan (A Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Slaves In The Soul : A Novelette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 11, 2016
Try to drop updates faster na cry

So that We can hit fp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 11, 2016
KissChrix:
Try to drop updates faster na cry

So that We can hit fp

I wish i could drop faster updates too but i've got so much commitments right now sad sad...

As for FP, even though we don't get to reach it, I'm still happy I have dedicated readers like you who motivate me to write smiley...

P.S Next update is on Tuesday

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 11, 2016
swann:

I wish i could drop faster updates too but i've got so much commitments right now sad sad...

As for FP, even though we don't get to reach it, I'm still happy I have dedicated readers like you who motivate me to write smiley...

P.S Next update is on Tuesday

Tuesday?? shocked

cry

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 11, 2016
KissChrix:

Tuesday?? shocked

cry

Ya cry cry I just got admitted so i have to go do some stuff concerning it tomorrow...
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 11, 2016
swann:

Ya cry cry I just got admitted so i have to go do some stuff concerning it tomorrow...

Oh! Congrats cheesy

Which school is that? smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 11, 2016
KissChrix:

Oh! Congrats cheesy

Which school is that? smiley

Uniport...
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 11, 2016
swann:

Uniport...
That's good smiley... Congrats once more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by yorhmienerd(m): 2:06pm On Dec 11, 2016
shocked shocked Tuesday ke
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 11, 2016
I'm worried about when Kaylee finally meets Izzy's "boyfriend".

Pluto and Kaylee could just date, they practically pass as an item.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 11, 2016
yorhmienerd:
shocked shocked Tuesday ke
Lots of commitments cry cry
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 11, 2016
jagugu88li:
I'm worried about when Kaylee finally meets Izzy's "boyfriend".

Pluto and Kaylee could just date, they practically pass as an item.

Haha cheesy Pluto and Kaylee are just so cute together. That, I concur cool cool
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 12, 2016
beautiful write up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 12, 2016
EmpresFIDEL:
beautiful write up

Thank you for reading smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by DaddySLY(m): 9:41pm On Dec 12, 2016
swann:

congrats hunnie...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 12, 2016
DaddySLY:
congrats hunnie...
Thank you smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by Lleigh(f): 10:05pm On Dec 12, 2016
congrats swann.

do what you need to do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 12, 2016
Lleigh:
congrats swann.
do what you need to do.

Thank you smiley smiley...
Re: "365": A Novelette by Twaci(f): 10:14pm On Dec 12, 2016
swann:

Thank you smiley smiley...
You got admission?!

Congratulations darling!

kiss

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 12, 2016
Twaci:
You got admission?!
Congratulations darling!
kiss
Thanks a lot dear smiley smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Adesina12: 10:58pm On Dec 12, 2016
swann:

Congrats dear

I wish you success and God's favour

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 12, 2016
Adesina12:

Congrats dear
I wish you success and God's favour
Thank you very much smiley smiley...
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 4:18am On Dec 13, 2016
Congratulations Swann. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Sweetie70(f): 7:58am On Dec 13, 2016
swann:
CHAPTER THREE

Mhiz, Lawlahdey, Jagugu88li, DaddySLY

Isabella stared at herself in the mirror and tugged on the sleeve of her wedding gown. It was an original Emiliano Alvarri, gifted to her by her brother from hish latest wedding collection. It was a fitted white gown with three slits on its waist line and a blue lace extending from its neck line to waistline.

“Are you really going to get married this time, Izzy?” A lady sitting on a sofa by the side asked. It was Rosa, Isabella’s younger sister, named after their grandmother who had had the unfortunate privilege of being a bridesmaid to her sister, twice. The first two times had been disrupted by Isabella’s sudden refusal to get married and running away from home on the wedding day.

Isabella shot her an angry look.

“You really should not say such words, child. It’s bad luck” said an elderly woman who had just entered the room.

“But it’s the truth,” Rosa muttered as she rolled her eyes and let out a sigh.

Isabella turned around to walk towards her and sat next to Rosa, resting her head on the top of the back rest. She put her hands to her temples and rubbed it.

“I don’t think I can do this,” she said as she put her arms down to her side.

“That’s what happens when you keep going out with these forsaken Nigerian men,” Rosa said as she raised her legs and crossed it on the couch.

“Still pained about Tolu?” Isabella asked.

“I’m way over that piece of shit. But I learnt my lesson from it anyways,” Rosa replied and she brought out her phone to text someone.

“Which is?”

“Don’t fall for Nigerian men. They’ll break your heart into a million tiny pieces and grind it into powder,” Rosa said as she dropped her phone by her side andz looked at Isabella. “Just as David did to you”. She added with a mischievous smile.

Isabella turned to her side and signalled Rosa to unzips her gown. She then pulled off the gown and put it on the mannequin besides the mirror. It would stay there until the wedding which was happening the next day. If it was going to happen, she thought.

“But what do you think I should do?, Isabella asked as she turned to Rosa who was still sitting on the sofa.

“Run away,”

Isabella gave her a confused look.

“Okay, so don’t run away but remember that David’s location is precisely forty-five minutes away from here on a plane and In movies--.”

“This is not a movie,” Isabella interrupted.

“What I’m trying to say is you have to go look for love if it’s not forthcoming. You’ve had this massive crush on him since forever. But do you want to know why you just can’t move on from your almost relationship?”

“Wow! When did you become a psychologist? Tell me more,” Isabella said as she removed a stray thread from the gown.

“Deep down, you just want to know what would have happened if the both of you had entered a relationship back then, if you hadn’t left for Italy when he asked you to stay back here in Nigeria and it keeps on haunting you that you’ll know how it would have been. You’re obsessed, I tell you. That’s why you keep embarking on all these six months relationship with men whose only claim to fame is the physical attribute they share with David,” Rosa concluded.

“That doesn’t matter anymore now, does it?” Isabella replied as she stared at herself in the mirror. “By tomorrow, I’ll be putting on the wedding gown and a ring on this finger,” she added as she raised her left hand to show her protruding ring fnger.

“In case you change your mind, have this,” Rosa said as she brought out an envelope from the insides of her jacket.

“What’s that?” Isabella asked as she walked towards Rosa.

“Open it”

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Isabella exclaimed with a smile as she brought out the contents of the envelope. Inside the envelope was a plane ticket and a small book containing some addresses and phone numbers. “What do you expect me to do with all of these?

“We want you to go find that boy,” The elderly woman who had been crocheting in a corner spoke up.

Nonna Rosa, you’re in on this too?

“Izzy, we are only trying to help you not make the biggest mistake you will ever make tomorrow. It’s time for you to face your fears and go to the person you truly love.” Nonna Rosa replied.

“For a grandmother, you sure teach good behaviour,” Isabella sneered.

“I won’t waste my time on this. Keep the envelope and its content in case you change your mind. And if I were you I would go quickly before the wedding comes,” Rosa cut in as she stood up and made for the door.

Isabella brought out the contact book and checked its first page. The contacts of David and his parents were on it along with their addresses. The other pages were blank. She took out the plane ticket and looked at it, then looked at the gown she had placed on the mannequin besides the mirror and put her hands on her chin as she decided which she would choose. She turned around and glanced at her grandmother who was still crocheting. She had been taken care of by her since her parents died in a plane crash when she was eighteen. It was one of the reasons why she had returned to Italy, to stay closer to her and also the reason why she had almost married twice as the old woman had always pressured her about wanting to see her grandchildren before she died but she never went through with the weddings because she realized, even though lately, that they were not truly the one she wanted to get married to. The old woman glanced back and nodded her head. Isabella, then made her decision.

nice story

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 13, 2016
colik:
Congratulations Swann. smiley
Thanks a lot smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 13, 2016
Sweetie70:
nice story

Thank you for reading and liking it smiley smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by AJvine(m): 4:52pm On Dec 13, 2016
Wow #Swann, sorry i av not been well through our the Holiday and today agin...u am ejoying the update like a healing pills. Also u mentioned my name. That is awsome. One among the best Script i av read ....Dear Swann keep it up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 13, 2016
AJvine:
Wow #Swa.nn, sorry i av not been well through our the Holiday and today agin...u am ejoying the update like a healing pills. Also u mentioned my name. That is awsome. One among the best Script i av read ....Dear Swa.nn keep it up.

Thank you very much Aj. Get better soon smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 13, 2016
Swann, what is today? smiley
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:20pm On Dec 13, 2016
KissChrix:
Swann, what is today? smiley

grin grin....Today is Tuesday but unfortunately I'll have to rain check today. I just got back home from school an hour ago but I promise you'll have an update for breakfast wink wink
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 13, 2016
swann:

grin grin....Today is Tuesday but unfortunately I'll have to rain check today. I just got back home from school an hour ago but I promise you'll have an update for breakfast wink wink

crycrycrycrycrycrycry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2016
Bhet, where is Lawlahdey sef? undecidedcry
Re: "365": A Novelette by Nobody: 8:51am On Dec 14, 2016
CHAPTER EIGHT

Dedicated to lovelygurl, a busted ghostreader smiley smiley

SIX MONTHS LATER…

Kaylee looked out the window of the plane that would soon make a touchdown in Nigeria. Through the glass, she saw a flock of birds flying through the clouds and it sent shivers through her spine. At that moment she wanted to be a bird, to fly weightlessly in the sky and feel the clouds on her wings, have close to no problems and to never suffer. After the birds had passed, she noticed the sky. It was the brightest blue she had ever seen.

Unity, she thought as she closed her eyes.

The months she had spent in the hospital passed by quickly. The doctors had told her to expect them to come full-fledged soon but a month had gone by and nothing had changed. By the end of the second month, she had begun to get sick of the hospital itself. She wanted to go to the beach and lay on the warm sand while being caressed by the waters.

She told the doctor on the beginning of the third month that she was leaving because she felt confined and could not bear it much longer.

“Do you know what that’ll mean? Are you sure you really want to do this?” the doctor had asked as she him told of her plans to leave.

She looked at him. He was a man in his 30’s that had no signs of grey hairs yet. He had a slender yet tall body which he carried elegantly in his white coat with no stains. But above all, he was healthy, so he would never understand how it felt to live each day knowing that one day you were going to, not live.

“Yes,” she replied and walked towards the door. She stopped as she held the door’s handle, then added, “I’m leaving right now.”

She didn’t wait for his reply as she wouldn’t listen to whatever he had to say. She went to her room and threw her things into her bag as Pluto watched her from the corner.

“Promise me one thing, Pluto,” she said as she zipped her bag.

“What?” he asked as he moved towards her.

She gazed at the sheets on the bed. “Never mind. Just get your things, we’re leaving.”

It was the beach they had gone to after they left the hospital and they had gone to as they left the hospital. Pluto hadn’t asked why they were leaving and that she was glad for. She lay under the sun on the sand of the beach, which to her was not as hot as the sun back home but it was more comfortable. Pluto laid by her side.

“Here,” Pluto said as he handed over a book to her, its cover was inscribed with the word ‘Memories;

“What’s this?” she asked.

“I had wanted to give this to you for a long time but I think there’s no better time than now. I’m proud of you for your choice.”

She sat up and took the book from him. Its cover was turquoise and it was leather. Inside the book were blank pages with no lines and a pen in the middle of the book.

“Thank you,” she told him.

“What are we going to do now?” he asked.

“We’re already here in a different country so we definitely have to explore. I want to visit everywhere, taste their food’ know their culture. I want to live as much as I can,” she said as she smiled.

Pluto put his hands on her shoulder and drew her closer. “After then what happens?”

“I’m going to see my mum. It’s been a long time since I did and I just need to see her one last time. She doesn’t know about me being -” she stopped and bit her lips.

“It’s okay,” Pluto said. “I’m going to be right by your side throughout all this.”

“Of course you are. That’s what you’re paid for,” she replied as she laid down again.

The voice of the pilot interrupted her thoughts and she opened her eyes. They were to fasten their seat belt to prepare for landing. When it landed, she walked slowly to let her skin feel the sun.

"Home," She muttered.

“Don’t go,” Isabella said as she pulled David back under the sheets.

“I have to go to work,” he replied as he rubbed Isabella’s shoulder.

“Just stay. A little longer,” she whined.

They both jumped when they heard the creaking of their door as it opened and Nonna Rosa’s head flew in. The old woman walked into the room with a lopsided gait and stood in front of the couple. In her hand, was a black bag from which she brought out two dresses.

“Aquamarine or blue topaz?” the woman asked as she raised both dresses up to indicate which colour she was talking about.

“Why, Nonna!” Isabella exclaimed as she fell backward on the bed. “They’re the same colour. But just put on the aquamarine, it has a better design.”

“I just want to look good for your engagement party tomorrow,” the woman mumbled as she walked out of the room.

Isabella closed her eyes and sighed. She had forgotten about the engagement party that was to happen. But she didn’t blame herself as most times she could not believe it was actually happening. She had gone from being a nuisance to him to being an attraction as her plan of always including him in her activities had paid off. With time he had begun to like her again and showed more interest in her and the activities she planned.

She knew that he didn’t like her the way he did before she left. She saw it in his eyes when he looked at her. The subtle eye twinkle and squinting had disappeared, but it didn’t bother her much because she knew they would reappear again someday. He had already started liking her faster than she thought he would so other actions would sort themselves out.

“I don’t think I can do this,” Kaylee said as she moved away from the gate but was pulled back by Pluto.

“She’s your mother,” Pluto said as he pushed her in front of the gate. “There’s no way you can’t do it.”

Kaylee looked at the gate which was now rusted but its original brown colour could still be noticed under the rust. Beyond the gate was a house whose only occupant was a woman who by law of nature was called her mother but emotionally was just another female face in her life. Her parents had gotten divorced when she was ten years old with her mum having custody of her and her father, through a series a bribes, gained custody of her brother. Her mother was a good woman, that, she could attest, but she had never formed any bond with her since she was always left in the custody of nannies and babysitters as her mother worked hard to provide the best she could for the both of them. When she was eighteen, she left her mum’s care and went to her dad, a decision that could not be tried by any law court as she was legally an adult.

She shaked her head to wave aside her thoughts, then knocked on the gate.

A man peeped from the side of the gate before opening it. As she stepped inside, the gateman recognized her and greeted her. It was still the same man from the last time she had visited, which was two years ago and wondered what else hadn’t changed.

She pressed the door bell and the door opened almost immediately and a woman came out.

“Kaylee?” The woman asked as she rubbed her eyes as if to make sure she was not dreaming.

“Mum,” Kaylee replied as she walked into the house.

Kaylee and Pluto sat on a couch and watched TV as the woman whiled away in the kitchen making snacks. Kaylee had offered to join her but she had refused saying that she would do it all. After a while, she joined them in the living room holding a tray with three glasses of fruit juices and a plate of cookies she claimed was baked by her, set it on the table, and sat adjacent to them.

“I see you have a new beau now,” she said as she took a glass of juice and glanced at Pluto. “What happened between you and David?”

“Things just ended,” Kaylee answered as she took a cookie from the plate and a glass of juice. “Have the last one, Plu,” she said to Pluto as she used her head to point at the last glass on the tray.

“I thought the both of you looked really fantastic together. Not that he – what’s your name again? She asked as she took a sip of her juice.

“Pluto,” he answered.

“Yes, Pluto,” the woman continued. “It’s not like the both of you aren’t a match too.”

Kaylee took a bite out of the cookie in her hand unsure of if to tell her mum she and Pluto weren’t dating as the woman would not even listen to her as she was so convinced that they were. She wouldn’t listen to anyone once she was convinced of something even on trivial issues.

“Well, it’s his bad luck for leaving you. I wish the both of you the best. Now let’s watch TV” the woman said as she took the remote controller and changed the channel to one where a comic film was being played.

No one talked as the movie played on and when the movie finished, they talked about the economic situation and issues concerning family matters for some before Kaylee stood and said she was leaving.

“Oh, alright,” her mother had said. “You’re father said you travelled for some business trip that kept you away for months, how was it?” the woman asked.

“It was fine,” she replied and moved to hug her mother.

She didn’t let go of the woman as fast as she hugged her. Instead she took her time to take in the smell the smell of her weave and her perfume. She had always loved the unique smell of her mother’s perfume, it was vanilla but you would never know until it had played around your nose a few times. This was one of the things she would to miss.

“Kay, are you alright?” the woman asked as she cut away from her embrace.

“Yes mum. I’ll be on my way now. Bye,” she replied as she moved to the door. She held the door’s handle the looked back to give her mother one final wave before she left.

“Who’s David?” Pluto asked as he stopped at a red light.

“An ex,” Kaylee replied, looking out the window.

“Why did you break up? Was it because of the disease?” he asked, still clutching the brake.

“Well, you could say something like that but I don’t want to talk about it.”

The traffic light changed to a yellow.

Pluto looked at her and felt pity. She had been left because of a disease she could not control. He wondered how heartless the man would be. She didn’t deserve to be left alone especially at a time when she needed companionship he most.

Kaylee looked at him and saw what he always called his ‘thinking face’ – eyebrows arched, lip pursed and eyes staring into space. A thought hit her as to what he as thinking about and she gasped.

“Don’t even do what you’re thinking, Pluto,” she said

His eyes left the gear they had trailed to and stared at her. “I won’t,” he replied but he knew deep inside that he would.

The light turned green.

13 Likes 11 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / A Girl Called Fib & The Axe Of Fury / Robinson Crusoe: Who Else Remembers This Novel? Indomie Generation Stay Off.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.