Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,630 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child (33610 Views)

Living With My Aunt Who Is A Pastor's Wife Is Hell. Should I Run Away? / I Impregnated A Pastor's Daughter, We Rushed The Wedding / The Challenges Of Not Being A Pastor's Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Urahara2: 5:24pm On Nov 30, 2016
Smellingmouth:

How na? embarassed

U still dey ask me tongue
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Smellingmouth: 5:24pm On Nov 30, 2016
MidasTouche01:

Are u Smellymout.h??

You nor know abi?

Na double thunder dey wait you.. grin

Anyways, ,lets not derail..

Lalasticlala, biko move makydebbie's thread to fp..

Signed, Snake Lovers association..
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 30, 2016
Nothing like the words “My father is a pastor” to scare off a potential boyfriend, For some reason, hearing these words can make anybody want to turn the other way and run....Why? I’m still not 100% sure, lol Maybe they think God is watching our relationship even closer than most, but either way, this is one big bomb to drop on a relationship, and it gets even scarier when your potential boyfriend actually meets your parent … especially if they meet them on a Sunday.... Come and hear preaching grin

my dad's is a pastor all this i experienced while growing up

2 Likes

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by KingRex1(m): 5:26pm On Nov 30, 2016
Smellingmouth:
Sorry guys, I can't relate to any of these.. embarassed

But I did something really bad last night and it has been affecting my conscience.. cry
I was jejely drinking my garri, when I saw an ant strolling by on the floor. I quickly placed a cube of sugar along its path and watched as it scurried away to call his friends to come help transport the largese.
As I sighted the ants coming for the sugar ,i quickly removed the sugar to make the first ant look like a liar..
Lalasticlala, Am I wicked? cry cry

Egbon na until dey march enter ur bed for night ur eye go clear

3 Likes

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Urahara2: 5:27pm On Nov 30, 2016
[quote author=Smellingmouth post=51518137]

You nor know abi?

Signed, Snake Lovers association..[/quote

When is uncle smellymouth coming back embarassed embarassed
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Smellingmouth: 5:28pm On Nov 30, 2016
KingRex1:

Egbon na until dey march enter ur bed for night ur eye go clear

And the funny thing with these ants be say dem know the place to bite.. cheesy grin
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Smellingmouth: 5:29pm On Nov 30, 2016
[quote author=Urahara2 post=51518236][/quote]

Tomorrow bruh.. cheesy

Imagine alaga1 dey prison for one week.

Chaii..
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Urahara2: 5:31pm On Nov 30, 2016
Smellingmouth:

And the funny thing with these ants be say dem know the place to bite.. cheesy grin

Which place is that

3 Likes

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Smellingmouth: 5:32pm On Nov 30, 2016
Urahara2:

Which place is that

The Amu..

2 Likes

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by MidasTouche01(m): 5:34pm On Nov 30, 2016
Smellingmouth:

You nor know abi?

Signed, Snake Lovers association..

Chisux!!!!

I no know oooo

Ur main don dey kirikiri abi

1 Like

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Smellingmouth: 5:39pm On Nov 30, 2016
MidasTouche01:

Chisux!!!!

I no know oooo

Ur main don dey kirikiri abi

Yes boss.. I dey with two big yansh babes erre.. grin
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 30, 2016
Someone's a pastor's kid gringrin

Growing up certain things were frowned upon angry
-Listening to 'worldly' music
-Dating
-Some certain movies were also frowned upon : Harry Potter and the likes

I wouldn't say career choice was limited though undecided

I was expected to be the perfect kid and it affected Me somehow cry

Pastors kids are expected to be role models, the perfect kid, yet people keep saying We're the worst cry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 30, 2016
cc: Lalasticlala
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by KingRex1(m): 5:50pm On Nov 30, 2016
Smellingmouth:

Wtf?? Hahaha grin grin grin
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 30, 2016
smiley
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 30, 2016
I don't blame them, I blame the parents. They are the way they are due to lack of freedom and a lot of pressure smiley
Papikush:
Na pastor children dey bad pass. Ask anyone.
As a mater if fact, I got disvirgined by a pastor's daughter...she took away my precious gift cry
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 30, 2016
Hahaha...Chai! cheesy grin
You just made that ant an outcast cry
Smellingmouth:
Sorry guys, I can't relate to any of these.. embarassed

But I did something really bad last night and it has been affecting my conscience.. cry
I was jejely drinking my garri, when I saw an ant strolling by on the floor. I quickly placed a cube of sugar along its path and watched as it scurried away to call his friends to come help transport the largese.
Immediately I sighted the ants coming for the sugar ,i quickly removed the sugar to make the first ant look like a liar..
Lalasticlala, Am I wicked? cry cry
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 30, 2016
ItsQuinn:
I don't blame them, I blame the parents. They are the way they are due to lack of freedom and a lot of pressure smiley

a typical Nigerian pastor will never allow his/her kids "explore the world" they rather keep them indoors and command them to study the word of God (thinking they are doing them good).
Then when these kids get admitted into a university they see things Grey

1 Like

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 30, 2016
Very true! the parents claim they know the word of God that the word of God is all there is but in reality one must not depend on the word of God alone unless you'll lack wisdom, knowledge and understanding and get problems, especially in your household. undecided
Papikush:

a typical Nigerian pastor will never allow his/her kids "explore the world" they rather keep them indoors and command them to study the word of God (thinking they are doing them good).
Then when these kids get admitted into a university they see things Grey
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 30, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Very true! the parents claim they know the word of God that the word of God is all there is but in reality one must not depend on the word of God alone unless you'll lack wisdom, knowledge and understanding and get problems, especially in your household. undecided

lol...actually the word of God is a guideline to living a "righteous" life. Not some "this is how your life should be" guidelines that our parents think.
Caring for your kids as a pastor is more than just the word of God... It also takes you exposing them to the World and let them show you who they truly are. It's a shame most of these pastor's kids are not even bold enough to talk to their parents about their sexual life because they feel "daddy will call me a child of the devil"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 6:52pm On Nov 30, 2016
This was what I meant by "not depend on the word of God alone". We are on the same page smiley
Papikush:

lol...actually the word of God is a guideline to living a "righteous" life. Not some "this is how your life should be" guidelines that our parents think.
[b]Caring for your kids as a pastor is more than just the word of God...
It also takes you exposing them to the World and let them show you who they truly are. It's a shame most of these pastor's kids are not even bold enough to talk to their parents about their sexual life because they feel "daddy will call me a child of the devil"
[/b]
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Smellingmouth: 7:16pm On Nov 30, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Hahaha...Chai! cheesy grin
You just made that ant an outcast cry
cry cry

Chisos..

1 Like

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Urahara2: 7:19pm On Nov 30, 2016
Smellingmouth:
cry cry

Chisos..

Because of u now , the ants popci go beat shege from him body when he enta house

1 Like

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Smellingmouth: 7:23pm On Nov 30, 2016
Urahara2:

Because of u now , the ants popci go beat shege from him body when he enta house

The kind lashes when he go collect ehn.

1 Like

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Urahara2: 7:35pm On Nov 30, 2016
Smellingmouth:

The kind lashes when he go collect ehn.

The ant papa go talk say " junior how u go play DAT kind play for dis recession "
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Jay542(m): 8:37pm On Nov 30, 2016
I can related to this even tho my parent are no pastorsad
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by mrblessed(m): 9:25pm On Nov 30, 2016
makydebbie:
Proverbs 22:6...Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

We all know this scripture and know that parenthood is no easy job. But everyone says, "what better environment is there to train up a child than in a pastor's home" right?
Or does growing up under a dad as a pastor guarantee a child's future on the right path?

Let's look at the challenges faced by pastor's kids which makes it not so rosy for kids growing up under clergymen's/religious leaders roof.

(1) Pastor's kids face the challenge of living up to the good boy/girl tag: As a pastor's child, I can relate to this. Eyes are always on you as a pastor's kid, to always never go wrong. No mistake is expected of you. In school, you're supposed to be different from all other kids and not to play much, joke around with friends or fail to submit assignments on time.

(2)Pressure:- Growing up, there was always this "pressure" that goes with you being the son or daughter of the renowned pastor in town. Even when faced with physical opposition like guys or girls who wanna beat 'us' up, people think that we should not fight but just meekly get beaten and mauled so badly. The bible says when hit we should turn the other cheek right?

(3)Pastors kids and the "be like your dad" comment or tag:-Everywhere you go as a pastor's kid, you always get the reminder that there's a standard you ought to live up to. And that standard in the eyes of people is always your dad or mom who are ministers. Every little thing you do, is a chance for them to say, "you're just like your dad" or if you make a little mistake, "you should be like your dad or mom". They always expect perfection.

In this age, we have come to know that everyone has a path and a destiny from everyone else including parents. Its really frustrating for a pastor's kid to always hear himself/herself being measured with his/her "pastor's" dad.
This is the reason why many of them rebel and go on to "live the life" they feel will make them different from their dads. In most cases, the kids end up destroying themselves.

(4) Pastor's kids and academics:- Always and again, there is always the notion that a pastor's kids shouldn't fail. People say stuffs like, "his father is the general overseer of the states biggest church". He heals the sick, raise the dead and makes the lame walk. If such a child is not shown the necessary support by his "pastor's" dad, or any given attention as regards helping him do well academically, then forget it. He won't fly academically. Not even dad's miracles will make it work.

(5) Pastor's kids and career choice:-As the son or daughter of a pastor, its almost like a taboo to find yourself in some professions. Which may be where one's talents lie. For example some pastors won't let their kids study law, citing some mundane remark like "lawyers are mostly liars".
And most pastors kick against their children going into the music industry. Restricting the child is robbing the world of another gem that would impart the world positively.

(6)Pastor's children and overall parenting:- It is no longer a secret that pastor's homes churn out "clinically depressed kids" because of bad parenting or "parenting negligence". This is so because, a lot of pastors dedicate so much time to their pastorial ministry forgetting that a trully functional church, begins from a truly happy and functional home.
These kids grow up to be so far apart in relationship from their pastors parent. And even end up hating them.

These are some of the many heart wrenching challenges faced by pastor's kids. On the whole, its not a bed of roses being a pastor's kid.

Original writer: Makydebbie

Cc. Lalasticlala
So what is the basis of this longwinded epistle? What thesis or theory does the writer wish to propound? What message does this daughter of a clergy want to pass? Well, that the children of clergymen are born in an unalloyed state, and have been refused the universal process of growing up by an obsessive, puritanical and self-righteous public. Sometimes, the public can be annoyingly meddlesome and downright pesky. What about the clergy themselves? They are accused of being overbearing, demanding extreme obedient from their children, even when the time devoted to them is incredibly disproportional. They have been found guilty of negligence and poor parenting skill, to the detrimental of their children. So much blame to go around, except, of course, for the children of clergymen. How can any right-thinking person blame them, when they did not choose to be born in a home of a clergymen. Therefore, the public must make restitution in schools, markets, malls, stadium, and even in churches, for holding erroneous, malevolent and ungodly views about these kids. For kids, they should go about living their not-too-pious and wayward lifestyles, knowing the fault wasn't theirs.
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by ucnwafor(m): 9:44pm On Nov 30, 2016
I can relate to this makkydebbie cos I grow up as a pastor son, I must pray 3 times a day, fasting, study the bible everyday nd memories them one after the other, behave very well like a pastor child etc but when ayaf gone a bad egg, no one ever noticed it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by connkg(m): 9:47pm On Nov 30, 2016
I have wanted to speak on this for sometime. I was hoping it would be to parents in church.
Sometimes, the challenges are within the home - where the child (or children) sees parents not exhibiting the spirit of the letter preached- to external circles (one not mentioned is the inconvenience). This is waiting for parents for several hours after a Service for long meetings, where you see/ hear all sorts. Then beiing taken to places because there's no one to drop you off with; where again, you see all sorts. The pressure is enormous! Seeing the Pastor-Dad tired and with body pains will require a maturity to understand.
There should be no room for insincere attractions of interest, especially from parents with worse-behaved children.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by makydebbie(f): 9:48pm On Nov 30, 2016
mrblessed:
So what is the basis of this longwinded epistle? What thesis or theory does the writer wish to propound? What message does this daughter of a clergy want to pass? Well, that the children of clergymen are born in an unalloyed state, and have been refused the universal process of growing up by an obsessive, puritanical and self-righteous public. Sometimes, the public can be annoyingly meddlesome and downright pesky. What about the clergy themselves? They are accused of being overbearing, demanding extreme obedient from their children, even when the time devoted to them is incredibly disproportional. They have been found guilty of negligence and poor parenting skill, to the detrimental of their children. So much blame to go around, except, of course, for the children of clergymen. How can any right-thinking person blame them, when they did not choose to be born in a home of a clergymen. Therefore, the public must make restitution in schools, markets, malls, stadium, and even in churches, for holding erroneous, malevolent and ungodly views about these kids. For kids, they should go about living their not-too-pious and wayward lifestyles, knowing the fault wasn't theirs.

The message I'm trying to pass is, we aren't "special kids" because our parents are pastors. We are just normal kids who deserve to live 'normally'. I'm just pointing out our challenges.

Things we go through because our parents are pastors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by makydebbie(f): 9:51pm On Nov 30, 2016
ucnwafor:
I can relate to this makkydebbie cos I grow up as a pastor son, I must pray 3 times a day, fasting, study the bible everyday nd memories them one after the other, behave very well like a pastor child etc but when ayaf gone a bad egg, no one ever noticed it
I can definitely relate to this smiley
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:53pm On Nov 30, 2016
I'm afraid you missed the whole point mister. smiley

This is not about blame. You make it look like we are absolving the pastors' kids of blame and giving them a licence to be wayward and live life "just the way they want because that's the way they want it". Nooooo... You so missed it.

There are principles in life but the OP is only pointing out "challenges" faced by these kids. They wanna be treated as "normal" and not bunch of "alien kids" who cannot make mistakes. The pressure is just too much on them.

This is what the article is about. It's not about "blame".

mrblessed:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Didnt Like My Dad When I Was A Kid And Still Dont Like Him Now I'm Grown Up / What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? / My Cousin Wants To Call Off His Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.