Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,680 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child (33611 Views)

Living With My Aunt Who Is A Pastor's Wife Is Hell. Should I Run Away? / I Impregnated A Pastor's Daughter, We Rushed The Wedding / The Challenges Of Not Being A Pastor's Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Spectre007: 1:32am On Dec 01, 2016
Lwkm,U no well at allcheesy
chiraqDemon:
And d best sex i ever had was with a pastors daughter
Damn that gurl can ride i must find her contact again
ShE must ride again
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by chinedumo(m): 4:28am On Dec 01, 2016
mavany:
As a pastors daughter, who was and is still being raised by an honest, real ,loving Dad. I have grown up to know, that Pastors are human, first of all and are not perfect.

I have my own life to live apart from my Papa's calling, I am entitled to my share of mistakes, learning and finally growth!

It however wasn't easy growing up in our backward former church, I'm sorry I sound this harsh.

Our whole. life was always constantly on trial,it was from one gossip to another,I couldn't even wear clothes with stones and beads on them Cos my mum will be considered to love the things of the world.

take heart.

1 Like

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by veronicababy: 5:03am On Dec 01, 2016
Pastors child embarassed na dem bad pass cool

Check my signature cos get help worldwide is the best investment platform now
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by holluphemydavid(m): 5:30am On Dec 01, 2016
Mimzyy:
Debbie, I'll be back to read this epistle I promise smiley

Meanwhile, Lalasticlala come and see this big snake that landed on cossy's boobs undecided
U dey look cossy boobs ni, I dey come back,make I quickly check if u tu dey open ur own, lemme check ur profile pix #smiles
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Pylony(m): 5:34am On Dec 01, 2016
Papikush:
Na pastor children dey bad pass. Ask anyone.
As a mater if fact, I got disvirgined by a pastor's daughter...she took away my precious gift. Upon how I was saying STOP, STOP, STOP. cry
Eyaa sorry sir, but was it painful?
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Pylony(m): 5:36am On Dec 01, 2016
Mimzyy:
Debbie, I'll be back to read this epistle I promise smiley

Meanwhile, Lalasticlala come and see this big snake that landed on cossy's boobs undecided
The snake is just her new Fashionable bra why raising alarm grin
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by MrLankeeee(m): 5:46am On Dec 01, 2016
Papikush:
As a mater if fact, I got disvirgined by a pastor's daughter...she took away my precious gift. Upon how I was saying STOP, STOP, STOP. cry

You nor enjoy am?
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Vikky014(f): 5:48am On Dec 01, 2016
makydebbie:
Proverbs 22:6...Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

We all know this scripture and know that parenthood is no easy job. But everyone says, "what better environment is there to train up a child than in a pastor's home" right?
Or does growing up under a dad as a pastor guarantee a child's future on the right path?

Let's look at the challenges faced by pastor's kids which makes it not so rosy for kids growing up under clergymen's/religious leaders roof.

(1) Pastor's kids face the challenge of living up to the good boy/girl tag: As a pastor's child, I can relate to this. Eyes are always on you as a pastor's kid, to always never go wrong. No mistake is expected of you. In school, you're supposed to be different from all other kids and not to play much, joke around with friends or fail to submit assignments on time.

(2)Pressure:- Growing up, there was always this "pressure" that goes with you being the son or daughter of the renowned pastor in town. Even when faced with physical opposition like guys or girls who wanna beat 'us' up, people think that we should not fight but just meekly get beaten and mauled so badly. The bible says when hit we should turn the other cheek right?

(3)Pastors kids and the "be like your dad" comment or tag:-Everywhere you go as a pastor's kid, you always get the reminder that there's a standard you ought to live up to. And that standard in the eyes of people is always your dad or mom who are ministers. Every little thing you do, is a chance for them to say, "you're just like your dad" or if you make a little mistake, "you should be like your dad or mom". They always expect perfection.

In this age, we have come to know that everyone has a path and a destiny from everyone else including parents. Its really frustrating for a pastor's kid to always hear himself/herself being measured with his/her "pastor's" dad.
This is the reason why many of them rebel and go on to "live the life" they feel will make them different from their dads. In most cases, the kids end up destroying themselves.

(4) Pastor's kids and academics:- Always and again, there is always the notion that a pastor's kids shouldn't fail. People say stuffs like, "his father is the general overseer of the states biggest church". He heals the sick, raise the dead and makes the lame walk. If such a child is not shown the necessary support by his "pastor's" dad, or any given attention as regards helping him do well academically, then forget it. He won't fly academically. Not even dad's miracles will make it work.

(5) Pastor's kids and career choice:-As the son or daughter of a pastor, its almost like a taboo to find yourself in some professions. Which may be where one's talents lie. For example some pastors won't let their kids study law, citing some mundane remark like "lawyers are mostly liars".
And most pastors kick against their children going into the music industry. Restricting the child is robbing the world of another gem that would impart the world positively.

(6)Pastor's children and overall parenting:- It is no longer a secret that pastor's homes churn out "clinically depressed kids" because of bad parenting or "parenting negligence". This is so because, a lot of pastors dedicate so much time to their pastorial ministry forgetting that a trully functional church, begins from a truly happy and functional home.
These kids grow up to be so far apart in relationship from their pastors parent. And even end up hating them.

These are some of the many heart wrenching challenges faced by pastor's kids. On the whole, its not a bed of roses being a pastor's kid.

Original writer: Makydebbie

ur last point is nt for all pastors kids...nice write up i can relate to this...
if u crack a joke dt supposed to be funny ,members will be like this pastor's pikin can talk o instead of them to laugh...weird world

2 Likes

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Vikky014(f): 5:51am On Dec 01, 2016
Berlynn:

Nothing like the words “My father is a pastor” to scare off a potential boyfriend, For some reason, hearing these words can make anybody want to turn the other way and run....Why? I’m still not 100% sure, lol Maybe they think God is watching our relationship even closer than most, but either way, this is one big bomb to drop on a relationship, and it gets even scarier when your potential boyfriend actually meets your parent … especially if they meet them on a Sunday.... Come and hear preaching grin

my dad's is a pastor all this i experienced while growing up
LOL so true
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by wakes: 5:54am On Dec 01, 2016
I can imagine what Pastors children go through.
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by tonyx4x44(m): 6:01am On Dec 01, 2016
The one good thing is that it makes its easier to become an Agnostic atheist as you see through the scam easily. You do not see you father as a divine being and you easily discover that he is human and doesn't know shit, just like you.

PS I am one

3 Likes

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Daboomb: 6:05am On Dec 01, 2016
tosyne2much:
Yes I think I can relate to this because I'm the son of a pastor.. Let me add mine

7. Restrictions from Sex

Pressure are usually mounted on pastor's children on abstinence from premarital sex. They are usually ridiculed by the society each time they're spotted with the opposite sex. Sometimes, their parents will always sit them down ringing to their ears the spiritual consequences of pre-marital sex and the benefits of keeping one's virginity till wedding night. Most times, my dad monitors me so much that each time a lady visits me, he will keep parading my room for no good reason just to monitor whether I will comb the girl or not

[b]Well, "To who much is given, Much more is expected".

What all you these "Pastor-Pikin" did not tell us that you are treated "specially" by all the converts of your parents church.
You are included, mostly without other reason other than that "Na Pastor Pikin", in ll good activities of the Church.
You are elevated unnecessarily over other children in the church
Any occasion in Church, Na Pastor-Pikin go carry Microphone dey do the activity!

Worst of all, na una Papa go stand for Pulpit dey abuse us and our own children, dey call us sinners, dey show-off wealth he got from our Sweat (via Tithe and other money-generating Church Scams!)
Na Your Papa dey act like say im be everybody's daddy and your Mama sef come dey accept the "Kneeling-down" of people wey fit born am, make dem dey call her "Mummy X"!

You would think that based on all the 'opportunities' showered on them from every Church member, that Pastor-Pikin should turn out as a beacon to other children? For where! shocked shocked

Well, l can tell you that pastor's children are the worst, when it comes to excesses!
from Ra.pist, to Thugs, to Armed Robbers, to church burglars and Judas the Purse thief, all na Pastor-pikin.

I guess it is a punishment for most of them, for all the evil they do, under the covering of being a Pastor and the deciet they put the poor people to
.[/b]

BTW, l am sure you know by now, that l am "one vexing" church member! grin grin grin
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Handsomecole(m): 6:19am On Dec 01, 2016
I've really never seen anything special or expected anything special from a pastors child. Wetin consign me afterall most of them feed and live on church offering. Especially all these Pentecostal pastors around. Or when did Pastors become Jesus Christ themselves?? Abegi joor....
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by faithchubby93(f): 6:35am On Dec 01, 2016
tosyne2much:
Yes I think I can relate to this because I'm the son of a pastor.. Let me add mine

7. Restrictions from Sex

Pressure are usually mounted on pastor's children on abstinence from premarital sex. They are usually ridiculed by the society each time they're spotted with the opposite sex. Sometimes, their parents will always sit them down ringing to their ears the spiritual consequences of pre-marital sex and the benefits of keeping one's virginity till wedding night. Most times, my dad monitors me so much that each time a lady visits me, he will keep parading my room for no good reason just to monitor whether I will comb the girl or not

you are so right!

@Op I am a pastor child also and all you mentioned above is so true
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Daboomb: 6:48am On Dec 01, 2016
tonyx4x44:
The one good thing is that it makes its easier to become an Agnostic atheist as you see through the scam easily. You do not see you father as a divine being and you easily discover that he is human and doesn't know shit, just like you.

PS I am one

[size=14pt]Post of the Year![/size] grin grin

It takes a thief, to catch a thief!
undecided undecided
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by iPopAlomo(m): 7:27am On Dec 01, 2016
But lawyers are liars... Professional liars...
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 01, 2016
tosyne2much:

7. Restrictions from Sex

why do I feel you're a deep "comber"..its unlike me sha. tongue
tosyne2much:

7. Restrictions from Sex

why do I feel you're a deep "comber"..its unlike me sha.
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Urahara2: 7:38am On Dec 01, 2016
Papikush:

U dey mad o grin
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by chinedumo(m): 7:44am On Dec 01, 2016
mavany:

RIP. Lols
Hope u have been comforted?
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by daroz(m): 8:00am On Dec 01, 2016
What about the compulsory morning and evening devotion burden?
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 8:16am On Dec 01, 2016
makydebbie:
Proverbs 22:6...Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

We all know this scripture and know that parenthood is no easy job. But everyone says, "what better environment is there to train up a child than in a pastor's home" right?
Or does growing up under a dad as a pastor guarantee a child's future on the right path?

Let's look at the challenges faced by pastor's kids which makes it not so rosy for kids growing up under clergymen's/religious leaders roof.

(1) Pastor's kids face the challenge of living up to the good boy/girl tag: As a pastor's child, I can relate to this. Eyes are always on you as a pastor's kid, to always never go wrong. No mistake is expected of you. In school, you're supposed to be different from all other kids and not to play much, joke around with friends or fail to submit assignments on time.

(2)Pressure:- Growing up, there was always this "pressure" that goes with you being the son or daughter of the renowned pastor in town. Even when faced with physical opposition like guys or girls who wanna beat 'us' up, people think that we should not fight but just meekly get beaten and mauled so badly. The bible says when hit we should turn the other cheek right?

(3)Pastors kids and the "be like your dad" comment or tag:-Everywhere you go as a pastor's kid, you always get the reminder that there's a standard you ought to live up to. And that standard in the eyes of people is always your dad or mom who are ministers. Every little thing you do, is a chance for them to say, "you're just like your dad" or if you make a little mistake, "you should be like your dad or mom". They always expect perfection.

In this age, we have come to know that everyone has a path and a destiny from everyone else including parents. Its really frustrating for a pastor's kid to always hear himself/herself being measured with his/her "pastor's" dad.
This is the reason why many of them rebel and go on to "live the life" they feel will make them different from their dads. In most cases, the kids end up destroying themselves.

(4) Pastor's kids and academics:- Always and again, there is always the notion that a pastor's kids shouldn't fail. People say stuffs like, "his father is the general overseer of the states biggest church". He heals the sick, raise the dead and makes the lame walk. If such a child is not shown the necessary support by his "pastor's" dad, or any given attention as regards helping him do well academically, then forget it. He won't fly academically. Not even dad's miracles will make it work.

(5) Pastor's kids and career choice:-As the son or daughter of a pastor, its almost like a taboo to find yourself in some professions. Which may be where one's talents lie. For example some pastors won't let their kids study law, citing some mundane remark like "lawyers are mostly liars".
And most pastors kick against their children going into the music industry. Restricting the child is robbing the world of another gem that would impart the world positively.

(6)Pastor's children and overall parenting:- It is no longer a secret that pastor's homes churn out "clinically depressed kids" because of bad parenting or "parenting negligence". This is so because, a lot of pastors dedicate so much time to their pastorial ministry forgetting that a trully functional church, begins from a truly happy and functional home.
These kids grow up to be so far apart in relationship from their pastors parent. And even end up hating them.

These are some of the many heart wrenching challenges faced by pastor's kids. On the whole, its not a bed of roses being a pastor's kid.

Dem dey chop tithe. I see no challenge here. I saw a thread where One pastor pikin bought her boyfriend Lexus 350 jeep grin

Enjoying my new found religion - deism
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by tosyne2much(m): 8:17am On Dec 01, 2016
AprilSmallWoman:

why do I feel you're a deep "comber"..its unlike me sha. tongue
why do I feel you're a deep "comber"..its unlike me sha.
Seriously, I'm not that type of person wink
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by tosyne2much(m): 8:19am On Dec 01, 2016
faithchubby93:

you are so right!

@Op I am a pastor child also and all you mentioned above is so true
he hehe.. So your popsy doesn't want you to be combed? cheesy
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by tosyne2much(m): 8:20am On Dec 01, 2016
Cathony:

My brother, your own good ni, at least, he allows you to have female visitors
So you mean say your popsy no dey gree make you carry woman enter house cheesy
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Nobody: 8:53am On Dec 01, 2016
It may also be a bigger challenge for the pastor himself (not only for the child). Pastors have a greater responsibility of not only looking after theirs alone, but others to make sure they are raised up in a godly standard
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by osars: 9:05am On Dec 01, 2016
Smellingmouth:
Sorry guys, I can't relate to any of these.. embarassed

But I did something really bad last night and it has been affecting my conscience.. cry
I was jejely drinking my garri, when I saw an ant strolling by on the floor. I quickly placed a cube of sugar along its path and watched as it scurried away to call its friends to come help transport the largese.
Immediately I sighted the ants coming for the sugar ,i quickly removed the sugar to make the first ant look like a liar..
Lalasticlala, Am I wicked? cry cry

cheesy grin I have done that many times while growing up.. LMAO. cheesy grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by DeLioncourt: 9:15am On Dec 01, 2016
tosyne2much:

7. Restrictions from Sex

you say its as if some people are encouraged to have premarital sex.
Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by mrjojo: 9:20am On Dec 01, 2016
Both pop and mom are pastors, and believe me is not easy been one.

I remember when me and my Lil Bro was always angry coz pop will always complain of our hair style, it either VERY low cut or nothing .i was trying Afro at a time cos it fits me more but it war at home.

We practically sleep in church, from one program to the other, no matter how sick or serious your next day exams are, you dare not stay back home during a vigil.

Mehn it not funny, I will never be a pastor, like ever
.FYI, am almost a full fledged atheist now, the last time I was in church was over a year ago when I was home, I go to church when am home cos i no want war.

Every one has their lifes to live, me and my siblings were FORCED to be Christians ,now am serving,and am going to determine my life part MYSELF.

Oh, pop saw my pics on whats app recently and he was saying I should go clean out my beards(very little beard ), I laughed ,that ship has sailed mehn .

Did I say I and my siblings hardly come home during school breaks? Yeah, it that bad.

God will now save you popsi will get to church before you.

Shout out to all Pastor kids out there .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by amjf(m): 9:23am On Dec 01, 2016
I thought I was the only one makydebbie , our challenges give me huge concern sometimes, wanting to do stuffs and then u just kill it inside cos of what ppl may say (e.g you can't do some businesses or go into some careers). Gush even from my name ppl already expect a lot, which as made me not to tell new ppl I meet my full name. But we are just humans and we have our path too.

makydebbie:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Big Challenges Of Being A Pastor's child by Acidosis(m): 9:27am On Dec 01, 2016
What you have there shouldn't only be attached to pastors' children.

If your parents are devoted Christians and still fail to do all OP has mentioned, it simply means your entire households are hypocrites.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Didnt Like My Dad When I Was A Kid And Still Dont Like Him Now I'm Grown Up / What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? / My Cousin Wants To Call Off His Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.