Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) (4929 Views)

Reverend Father Escapes Death In A Terrible Accident Along Nneobi/Onitsha Road(p / Re: We Made A Terrible Choice, did we? ( Buhari's Failing) - Another view / Buhari's Failing Health.Expect Another Group Of Bokoharam Soon. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by obiageIi(f): 10:26pm On Nov 30, 2016
Newmanluckyman:
... A bad govt? During the same period your country is not in recession, internationally adjudged to be the largest in Africa, inflation rate wasn't 18% as it is today, GDP wasn't shrinking to 2.4% y/y as it is today, rice was sold 9k a bag, modernization of our railway, revitalization of our agricultural assets, sound economic blue prints, no single political killing, absence of political victimization, INEC became truly independent, etc.

My dear you voted emotionally and you're too proud to admit that. Or maybe you were simply following the bandwagon. Anyway, one thing was constant :the propaganda machine really held you SPELLBOUND.
You forgot to add 34 states could not pay workers salaries and the FG was borrowing to pay its own, contractors were downing tool and capital expenditure was at 15% under your so called booming economy

2 Likes

Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 30, 2016
Zombies might have a different point of view.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by otitokoroleti: 10:42pm On Nov 30, 2016
Progressive01:
Before you go ballistic, that is a clone handle used by a stauch pdp supporter and not the Obiagelli you think it is.

Typical pdp modus operandi. Small brain to even create their own unique handles, they dont have.

Fake people, fake party, fake handles.
get well soon
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Bizibi(m): 10:42pm On Nov 30, 2016
No need complaining, you are still standing with buhari.....
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Newmanluckyman(m): 10:45pm On Nov 30, 2016
obiageIi:
You forgot to add 34 states could not pay workers salaries and the FG was borrowing to pay its own, contractors were downing tool and capital expenditure was at 15% under your so called booming economy
... No country can ever have it 100%.United States is owing trillions in dollars. And this is the country we are all looking up to.But a responsible government won't just be blaming or start to aportion blames here and there. A charismatic govt will immediately roll out sound economic policies to mitigate those issues you just raised. Teachers have been going on strikes right from the military era till date, some states during the OBJ era even with the oil boom wasn't able to pay wages, contractors have been downing tools since the early 60's if not so our roads could have been Eldorado even before GEJ came on board , we haven't been balancing our budgets from the word go. So as you can see, it didn't all start with Jonathan neither will it even end with PMB. We need a govt that can take responsibility.

4 Likes

Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by DelGardo: 1:15am On Dec 01, 2016
PaulIdu:

If you think the 6 months delay is responsible for the glaring failure of Buhari then I am sorry you are still not aware how poor a leader Buhari is.

I was part of those that campaigned and voted for him but within a year I realized he would be the worst leader Nigeria will ever have and I further realized he alone was responsible for setting Nigeria 20 years back as a result of his first stint as president.. As kids we were taught to blame Babangida and Abacha for most of our woes whilst the real problem was actually Buharis poor leadership in 1984 . As long as the man remains things will get worse and worse. Ask your self has thsi govt ever communicated to you in words or actions exactly where its headed , till today we dont have a roadmap for infrastructure, no road map for FDI, no road map for industrialization, no roadmap for security, no road map for electricity, no KPIs for critical sectors till date.... Please Buhari is a joke

Lie lie uncle. Please show us evidence of this your support and campaign in 2014/15.

You joined Nairaland in August this year and all your posts have been targeted at whipping up negative sentiments about Buhari.

God pass una.

This country is on a firm path under PMB: take a look at Venezuela and the rest to understand the achievements of this administration. There is no magic wand to be waved, sadly.

For the discerning minds please pay no heed to the rant hereon as their objective is not noble nor productive.

We shall prevail. Ride on Mr President.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by zaimeg: 1:19am On Dec 01, 2016
Bizibi:
GEJ was a disaster then this one should be more than a great bad omen and a disaster...... I wish you people are here in abj,shame fr nor let una talk.
Come and see coded underground corruption.
This is the truth. There's so much underground corruption. Even NDDC increased their own percentage from 5% to 10%. Nobody will tell you that. Also, the forex crisis has created new billionaires via the corruption there. People will know more when the government leaves.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Ahmeduana(m): 1:50am On Dec 01, 2016
LOST AND FOUND.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Bizibi(m): 1:59am On Dec 01, 2016
DelGardo:

Lie lie uncle. Please show us evidence of this your support and campaign in 2014/15.

You joined Nairaland in August this year and all your posts have been targeted at whipping up negative sentiments about Buhari.

God pass una.

This country is on a firm path under PMB: take a look at Venezuela and the rest to understand the achievements of this administration. There is no magic wand to be waved, sadly.

For the discerning minds please pay no heed to the rant hereon as their objective is not noble nor productive.

smh
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by totorimi: 2:09am On Dec 01, 2016
Bubu is a monumental disaster period.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Genius100: 2:40am On Dec 01, 2016
obiageIi:

That i feel Buhari is failing does not mean Gej would have been any better. My problem is i haven't seen a decisive action from this government to get us out of this recession, heck we could have avoided it if the president hadn't wasted six months to form his government. We held several bilateral meeting but our counterparts couldn't we the direction we were going

With all due respect, your analysis is off. 80% of what you've written are simple not true. First myth is Buhari's intransigence. Buhari has actually not been intransigent. He has left the economy to Osinbajo to manage and he does not micro manage. He changed his mind on the forex peg and he's essentially let the economic team do their jobs.

Second myth is that the.ministers not being named for 6 months is somewhat responsible for the recession. If you care to know, what they did in those six months was bring in Bain to create very detailed action plans for the ministries. I have a copy of their presentation if you care to see. It is very sound but obviously hasn't been implemented ad expected.

So what is responsible for the abysmal economic conditions. First is Nigeria is a big shame of a country that wholly depended crude oil for decades. We don't even have the decency to be able to refine our crude. It is extremely shameful. If your revenue is cut by 60 to 70%, you can't avoid a recession.

Second is the gross sabotage by the Nigeria Avengers. They did way more damage than people know. Don't forget we hit our peak electricity generation before they started blowing off the gas line and crude lines. This has caused indescribable damage and Buhari has done exactly what is now needed by deploying the army and negotiating.

Third is the mishandling of the forex situation by Emefiele. Eme field is by far the weakest link I'm this government and Buhari must force him out or force him to work with the VP's office. Good news is that the VP indicated today that he is now working with the CBN on a more flexible forex scheme.

Very few people could have done better than what Buhari had done given all the circumstances. I'm confident that he will come good next year.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Nobody: 4:34am On Dec 01, 2016
DelGardo:

God pass una.

Immediately I saw the comparison between Naija and Venezuela in you post I knew that you have no clue of what is happening.

For your information Nigeria is in deep mess, if not for diaspora remittance we would have been worse than Venezuela. Nigeria dispora remittance for 2015 alone was over 20 billion dollars. Venezuela has no such family support so please before you go about spreading half truth go look up diaspora remittance for both countries and how it affects both society.

1 Like

Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by PaulIdu: 6:44am On Dec 01, 2016
DelGardo:

God pass una.

When I was here drumming up support for Buhari and virtually insulting the GEJ govt at every opportunity I had where were you ? Like I say these days anyone still looking supporting Buhari is either and ultra slowpoke or he is being paid to support him , so which are you ? It would be better you are being paid to do it as it's still better than being a slowpoke
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by PaulIdu: 6:46am On Dec 01, 2016
woodcook:

Immediately I saw the comparison between Naija and Venezuela in you post I knew that you have no clue of what is happening.

For your information Nigeria is in deep mess, if not for diaspora remittance we would have been worse than Venezuela. Nigeria dispora remittance for 2015 alone was over 20 billion dollars. Venezuela has no such family support so please before you go about spreading half truth go look up diaspora remittance for both countries and how it affects both society.

Some people don't just know how bad the Buhari mess is ....even with the detailed line graph above this madman still thinks Buhari has done a wonderful job

1 Like

Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by PaulIdu: 6:49am On Dec 01, 2016
Genius100:

With all due respect, your analysis is off. 80% of what you've written are simple not true. First myth is Buhari's intransigence. Buhari has actually not been intransigent. He has left the economy to Osinbajo to manage and he does not micro manage. He changed his mind on the forex peg and he's essentially let the economic team do their jobs.

Second myth is that the.ministers not being named for 6 months is somewhat responsible for the recession. If you care to know, what they did in those six months was bring in Bain to create very detailed action plans for the ministries. I have a copy of their presentation if you care to see. It is very sound but obviously hasn't been implemented ad expected.

So what is responsible for the abysmal economic conditions. First is Nigeria is a big shame of a country that wholly depended crude oil for decades. We don't even have the decency to be able to refine our crude. It is extremely shameful. If your revenue is cut by 60 to 70%, you can't avoid a recession.

Second is the gross sabotage by the Nigeria Avengers. They did way more damage than people know. Don't forget we hit our peak electricity generation before they started blowing off the gas line and crude lines. This has caused indescribable damage and Buhari has done exactly what is now needed by deploying the army and negotiating.

Third is the mishandling of the forex situation by Emefiele. Eme field is by far the weakest link I'm this government and Buhari must force him out or force him to work with the VP's office. Good news is that the VP indicated today that he is now working with the CBN on a more flexible forex scheme.

Very few people could have done better than what Buhari had done given all the circumstances. I'm confident that he will come good next year.

All you have peddled here are half truth that even the blind can see have been tailored to absolve Buhari of any wrong doing as usual and blame others... you are part of the problem Buhari has and from the way you have written I can tell you are part of the deceptive decepticons deceiving the Dullard that alll is well
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 01, 2016
DelGardo:

God pass una.

Just say you don't know IduPaul.

Smh for you.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by obiageIi(f): 7:08am On Dec 01, 2016
Newmanluckyman:
... No country can ever have it 100%.United States is owing trillions in dollars. And this is the country we are all looking up to.But a responsible government won't just be blaming or start to aportion blames here and there. A charismatic govt will immediately roll out sound economic policies to mitigate those issues you just raised. Teachers have been going on strikes right from the military era till date, some states during the OBJ era even with the oil boom wasn't able to pay wages, contractors have been downing tools since the early 60's if not so our roads could have been Eldorado even before GEJ came on board , we haven't been balancing our budgets from the word go. So as you can see, it didn't all start with Jonathan neither will it even end with PMB. We need a govt that can take responsibility.
Interesting how the goal post has shifted from gej was fantastic to it had always been bad
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by obiageIi(f): 7:12am On Dec 01, 2016
Genius100:

I agree with some of your points but below is what a serious government would have done

obiageIi:
I would have expected a buhari in his first week to hold meetings with the stakeholders (including militants) in the niger delta, show them your working plan for the next 2yrs, do same with manufacturers, business community, miyeti allah (herdsmen), ipob and co.
Send bills to the National Assembly for special court for corruption, push for PIB, emergency economy power. All of these could have been achieved on goodwill in the first few weeks.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Newmanluckyman(m): 8:42am On Dec 01, 2016
obiageIi:

Interesting how the goal post has shifted from gej was fantastic to it had always been bad
... Shifting post? Not at all my dear. You made a case why Gej govt was bad and I try to let you know that no govt has ever had it 100%.Now, assuming that PMB has been performing outstandingly well since he came to power, do you think that those issues you listed against Gej govt wouldn't have been there also? Now you get my point?

You see this is one of the reasons why you guys voted emotionally because you guys were attributing mystical and magical powers to PMB which he didn't have afterall to make the country becomes 100% paradise. Inadvertently forgotten that PMB will equally experience the same problems that you accused Gej govt of. As I said earlier, you were held SPELLBOUND by the propaganda machinery of the APC then.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by DelGardo: 8:51am On Dec 01, 2016
PaulIdu:

When I was here drumming up support for Buhari and virtually insulting the GEJ govt at every opportunity I had where were you ? Like I say these days anyone still looking supporting Buhari is either and ultra slowpoke or he is being paid to support him , so which are you ? It would be better you are being paid to do it as it's still better than being a slowpoke

I do not need your validation over my intellect neither am I bothered about your poxy views about those who oppose your narrow and incensing opinion.

Please show us one post - just one post - where you were "drumming" up support for Buhari or forever remain silent.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Nobody: 9:13am On Dec 01, 2016
phantom:

Failed in what way?? So in effect you didn't think a country whose treasury has been looted on a massive scale and whose economy depends on a resource that is fast loosing value would go into a recession? ??
Come on..Let's call a spade a spade.
GEJ being in power today,this country would be the same.
It is obvious that 90% of Nigerians don't know what a recession is and its PRACTICAL & REALISTIC solutions. You want this govt to clean up the rot in one year

Clean up in progress.

N5trillion gone.

https://www.nairaland.com/3470971/buhari-owes-jonathan-obasanjo-ibb/2#51130336
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by DelGardo: 9:18am On Dec 01, 2016
obiageIi:

I agree with some of your points but below is what a serious government would have done

Hindsight is perfect science. What matters in public policy is the intention of the maker; outcome may not necessarily meet intent.
Hardly has there ever been a perfect solution to economic crisis and it is harder to make informed decisions in an economy like ours with weak fundamentals.

Moreover why is there so much emphasis on GDP in an import-dependent mono economy?
Convert the GDPs of 2014, 2015 and 2016 from USD to NGN at the prevailing rates and you will see a different picture of growth.

-What was the HDI in those years that GDP was high?
-What does GDP really mean to the guy on the street who could not drive from Itu to Ikot-Ekpene under GEJ but can do so now?
-Does the fact that imported rice is now N28k take a lot away from the fact that we have grown local rice production by over 70% in one year and that we are on course to self sufficiency in a matter of months?

We did not vote out Goodluck because of poor GDP growth but his all round cluelessness. Buhari is battling too many economic variables, and has been slow in some cases, but the vitriol in some comments here is not commensurate with those failings.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Genius100: 10:22am On Dec 01, 2016
obiageIi:

Honestly I fail to see how that would have made any difference. The militants are largely politically sponsored that were hell bent on sabotaging Buhari. The rest are common miscreants that are looking to make money.

The herdsmen issue is an economic problem. The solution is cracking down on them on one hand and providing them with an alternative on the other hand. Common talk won't solve the problem.

Now don't get me wrong. The economy is currently abysmal and the buck stops at Buhari, no two ways about it. He has not been nowhere near as effective as he needs to be. But GEJ is a complete non starter. He was and remains a complete buffoon

1 Like

Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by cola: 11:54am On Dec 01, 2016

@obiageli and all
Three matters were the most important to Nigerians going into the elections last year:
a. Security viz a viz boko haram threat
B. Corruption, unchecked with impunity threatening to bankrupt and KILL the country and its people.
C. The economy

Now it's easy for people to forget where they were coming from with regards to these three areas. The govt of the day at that time was failing woefully in all the areas. Even people in the South had their hearts in their mouths for the threat of boko haram. Secondly, news of wanton stealing was making a turnaround hopeless in all spheres of our national life. Thirdly the inevitable downward spiral had begun with the finance minister warning as early as a year before election.

Most unbiased folks agree most people outside Borno can now sleep with their two eyes closed as far as boko haram's existential threat is concerned - a success of this govt.

Most unbiased people also agree that brazen corruption with impunity has been given a bloody nose. A larger success could have been achieved if the judiciary had been more cooperative. Thankfully that area too is getting a look-in currently. This success is ongoing.

The third area of the economy is understandably challenging and we hope for a turnaround soon.

Now do you call a govt or a man who has won, or is winning two of three battles a failure?

Understandably, people can now focus and make demands on the economic front only because they don't have to worry about boko haram's threat to their existence anymore!

How easily and quickly we forget!

Yes we have a right and a need to make demands. And Baba and his team need to double up on the third front- the economy, yes. But to say that Baba and the govt has failed or that we made a mistake is a bit uncharitable.

May the GOD Almighty help Baba and bless Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Nobody: 1:19pm On Dec 01, 2016
Progressive01:
Before you go ballistic, that is a clone handle used by a stauch pdp supporter and not the Obiagelli you think it is.

Typical pdp modus operandi. Small brain to even create their own unique handles, they dont have.

Fake people, fake party, fake handles.

I am Igbo and I know that Obiageli is the true spelling of the name. Your own Obiagelli must be an Afonja troll and therefore there's nothing original about that handle. I go with the original.

1 Like

Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by Abagworo(m): 2:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
Well one man's food is another man's poison and 2ndly you cannot eat your cake and still have. I like the way Nigeria is going now because the future will be bright after the sacrifice and we shall never develop without sacrifice on the part of both leaders and followers.

The sector I will score this government far below expectation is power. It remains the biggest bane to our industrial revolution and I thought that within 2 years something worth celebrating should be there. Well they have up till June next year for me to pass my judgement.

The biggest success is in agriculture and self reliance. I never believed I would one day eat Nigerian rice but I am now not only a full time consumer but have established a rice factory whereas as at May 2015 I gave Nigerian rice no chance in my house.

For the 1st time we have Nigerians making Nigerian Army kit and VIPs patronizing Nigeria made clothings and footwears. If the trend continues by 2026 we will cut our forex demand by at least 50%

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by BlackBaron: 2:33pm On Dec 01, 2016
Jonathan was rightly shown out of the door.
As for Buhari, he sooner than later showed that after all his noise and promises, he had no answers to the problem on ground. Took as many months to elect a cabinet only to see same old faces almost bare of technocrats.
As for trying to combat corruption and insecurity, his scores are as much as 5 and a 4 respectively. Economy at the moment is a paltry 1. Boasts of technical defeats and untenable press releases about foreign nomadic marauders only shows the level of falsehood and lies by this government.

Inconsistent policies led to the painful dips in recession. The exchange rate was easily the worst with people exploiting the ridiculous loophole to get richer meaning the poorer had to bear the brunt of costly produce because retailers were paying more for foreign exchange.
It's not enough to suddenly lock off the country without providing the right infrastructures for local industries to take off, how much more limiting their access to produce by killing the exchange.

Just like I could see the disaster of the last government less than 2 years in, we are now enamoured with the prospects of the consecutive worst governments running back to back.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by LFJ: 3:33pm On Dec 01, 2016
obiageIi:

I don't think this article says anything about gej being better than buhari, we probably didn't make the best choices.
I personally expected more from buhari, his government, his ministers are doing poorly

From the available options at that time, what option would you have suggested?
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by obiageIi(f): 3:45pm On Dec 01, 2016
LFJ:

From the available options at that time, what option would you have suggested?
More reason why we should start looking for options beyond the the major parties if they continue to produce poor candidates (not saying buhari is poor yet but he is heading in that direction)
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by obiageIi(f): 3:53pm On Dec 01, 2016
Abagworo:
Well one man's food is another man's poison and 2ndly you cannot eat your cake and still have. I like the way Nigeria is going now because the future will be bright after the sacrifice and we shall never develop without sacrifice on the part of both leaders and followers.

The sector I will score this government far below expectation is power. It remains the biggest bane to our industrial revolution and I thought that within 2 years something worth celebrating should be there. Well they have up till June next year for me to pass my judgement.

The biggest success is in agriculture and self reliance. I never believed I would one day eat Nigerian rice but I am now not only a full time consumer but have established a rice factory whereas as at May 2015 I gave Nigerian rice no chance in my house.

For the 1st time we have Nigerians making Nigerian Army kit and VIPs patronizing Nigeria made clothings and footwears. If the trend continues by 2026 we will cut our forex demand by at least 50%
Interesting, one cannot but agree with your points.
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by obiageIi(f): 3:56pm On Dec 01, 2016
BlackBaron:
Jonathan was rightly shown out of the door.
As for Buhari, he sooner than later showed that after all his noise and promises, he had no answers to the problem on ground. Took as many months to elect a cabinet only to see same old faces almost bare of technocrats.
As for trying to combat corruption and insecurity, his scores are as much as 5 and a 4 respectively. Economy at the moment is a paltry 1. Boasts of technical defeats and untenable press releases about foreign nomadic marauders only shows the level of falsehood and lies by this government.

Inconsistent policies led to the painful dips in recession. The exchange rate was easily the worst with people exploiting the ridiculous loophole to get richer meaning the poorer had to bear the brunt of costly produce because retailers were paying more for foreign exchange.
It's not enough to suddenly lock off the country without providing the right infrastructures for local industries to take off, how much more limiting their access to produce by killing the exchange.

Just like I could see the disaster of the last government less than 2 years in, we are now enamoured with the prospects of the consecutive worst governments running back to back.
I am so enjoying this discourse, the arguments for and against have been very sound. I agree with many of your points
Re: We Made A Terrible Choice. Did We? (buhari's Failing) by loopmangoat(m): 4:00pm On Dec 01, 2016
Even our animals are complaining
Buhari is a mistake

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Am Afraid Tinubu Might Not Deliver South West,ā€¯buhari Tells Aides After Ogun,la / If You Disturb Me, I Will Disclose How We Rigged Kano Election-abdulmumin Jibrin / Bola Tinubu's Convoy.. 66 Vehicles (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.