Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes (17244 Views)

Enter Here If You Are Trying To Quit Cigarettes / 8 Reasons To Stop Drinking Coke Every Day / Photo Of A Mother Smoking And Breastfeeding Her Baby At The Same Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 01, 2016
Everybody dies someday. as we speak some one just died. If ur habit suits u y stop? once you have something or somebody else you really care for the habits fizzle out. trust me.I've been there
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by mixratio(m): 2:41pm On Dec 01, 2016
Jesus can help you. In fact more than ready to help you. No need to visit any pastor. Be sincere and pray to Jesus in the closet of your room. Tell him all that you have done and that you are sorry. As you tell him he will remind you of others things that you do or that you have done in the past.
Be honest and admit that you are wrong and that you are sorry and you need him (Jesus) to come and save you. Keep on praying till you feel his joy in your heart. Bro, this is the surest way I know that works and has worked for me. Mine was not smoking, it was drinking and sleeping with prostitutes, Jesus saved me and I haven't looked back since. All the bro.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by FavoredGuy: 2:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
In the first place,who taught you how to do them, drinking and smoking at tender age as u said? If nobody did, conquer yourself and free yourself from that captivity. If someone did, shame both the devil and the person by making a sharp u-turn. It isn't going to be so easy but God will see u through.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by real43(m): 2:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
GeemarxWorld:
Help Needed To Stop Some Bad Habits

I will want to know what kind of help I can get to stop drinking and smoking cigarettes.

I actually started these bad habits while I was quite very young and now am almost 33. I use to drink so much of beer, smoke alot of cigarettes and weed as well. This got really bad when I traveled out of the country for studies and spent so many years out there. I think the weather and the fact that smoking is so normal there that even my lecturers and I do have chats together while smoking in the smoking area made me get so addicted.

Now I have completely stopped smoking weed for more than two years and I don't really take beer except once in a blue moon but the big problem is that I think though I left the frying pan, I am inside the fire because I smoke cigarettes like really bad and I am addicted to hot drinks like brandy or whisky. I cannot stay a day without these two and it's really annoying me.

I want to settle down now and start looking forward to marriage and a beautiful family life so I really want to do myself the favor of living a wealthy life for my wife and kids. I don't want to be an irresponsible husband and father so please I really need all the help I can get on how to stop this habits.

Please I will love to here from you all in this section especially the professionals if there are drugs or medications I can take to stop these habits.

YOU STARTED IT AND GRADUALLY IT BECAME PART OF YOU. U CAN STOP IT AND GIVE IT TIME TO RUN. ( STOP WHAT U STARTED )
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by izzou(m): 2:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
mzoly:

The site has been down since... Whats up with that....abi e don fold?

Its probably an upgrade. That's why.

Hope you are on board ?
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Bluntdrey(m): 2:59pm On Dec 01, 2016
That is a good step forward... Never look back....
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by oluwabibson: 3:00pm On Dec 01, 2016
grin grin

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by stephenqueen: 3:09pm On Dec 01, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
I've given up bro. I've learned to accept me for who I am

Hmmmmm! its hard to quit smoking, that's why i try not to be addicted to it...I only smoke when I feel like . But shayo, na only God fit stop me gringrin

In demo's voice : Dem say make I no too dey drink OGA which one? Even for chemistry alcohol na solution
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 01, 2016
Reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke each day. If you are smoking a pack, then resolve to smoke half a pack for the next month. Then go down to 3 the next month. Two the next month. One the next month. You have to find something that will replace the habit or you will pick it up again when you become anxious. Please do not replace it with chewing tobacco, because you may end up with mouth cancer. You may want to import one of those ecigs from China to help.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 01, 2016
stephenqueen:

Hmmmmm! its hard to quit smoking, that's why i try not to be addicted to it...I only smoke when I feel like . But shayo, na only God fit stop me gringrin

In demo's voice : Dem say make I no too dey drink OGA which one? Even for chemistry alcohol na solution
NP: Shayo - Chinko Ekun ft Dremo & Falz cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by dabrightt: 3:16pm On Dec 01, 2016
doctokwus:

Who made any one of them "man of god"?
Where u there when God so proclaimed any one of them?
Since u werent and there is no such evidence,u do not av a say in this matter.The only true men of God were evidently so proclaimed in the bible,any other person,except the Pope,head of the Anglican and Baptist churches and their personally ordained officers,is subject of debate.
Obviously true men of God dont obviously indulge in many of the false things some in Nigeria do.
Av u ever heard the pope,head of anglican or Baptist churches come out to give a prophesy or indulge in the public charade of d drama of healing a sick person with a 1 minute prayer and touch of d body?
I can see you don't know jesus atall.And I am so sure you don't read your bible atheist are better than you..
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 3:21pm On Dec 01, 2016
herzern1:
*Accept JESUS CHRIST as your personal lord and saviour......

*Read the Word of God(Bible) anytime you are tempted to indulqe in such acts

*Talk to your pastor about it so he can help you with prayers and words of inspiration

#GodBless...

Guy get sense. What's wrong with you? Why propagating propaganda

You read a book and you decide to be silly. Stop trying to impose your Jewish mind slavery on others. What has it gotten you?? Has it taken away abjent poverty away from you? Utilize your inner God power for goodness sake stop being an ass! Stop being an ass!! A sane human will not just read a book and totally believe everything without concrete evidence to back up the existing claims, don't you get tired of all this baseless truths? Don't you think of your life? You are enslaved into an order ruled by Jews, people who are not humans, people who clearly tells you in their Jewish book that they will eat the wealth of the gentiles and in the wealth and glory of the gentiles they (the) Jews will boast their selves, who do you think the gentiles are?? ? You and every non Jewish creation are! Look around they are the ones who enslaved the African race and detoriated us to this level and tagged our Gods evil idols and killers, God's who fought hard for us to free us! look at the author of your Bible, "the evil bloodline Jew" Google "Rothschild" on Google, Google "Jews wanted for crimes against humanity" also check "Jews who control the world"

You think you know it all, you think you are shielded by some false yaweh, It's a pity that if you fail to empower and advance your soul before death, the outcome will be tragic as of course you will be returned to mother ship of the false yaweh thought forms and your energy stripped of, a powerless soul cannot defend it self and then you will be casted again back to Earth to continue slavery and the life cycle goes on. Smh.i know you won't learn from this. But stop spreading false life to open minded people since you have decided to stayed blind.
If only could open your spiritual mind eyes (the third eye) you will be able to see the truth from lies, how can you neglect the soul yet you eat everyday and take care of the physical. Smh

Is this what our ancestors died for

For us to further be enslaved and become unproductive?? Look at the white race!! We don't learn if this is what our ancestors died for then may I not see tommorw!

The Gods forbid this madness, this slavery, wake up!

1 Like

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Pecca: 3:22pm On Dec 01, 2016
Turks:
It's all about conviction. The temptation would be massive but then you can overcome if you want to. Go around with a bottle of water everywhere you go.

A. lso, Dont try quitting abruptly. It has to be gradual..
there is nothing like GRADUAL while trying to quit smoking. you prepare your mind before going to bed...telling urself repeatedly that "I won't be smoking by this time tomorrow; I will not smoke again tomorrow; and the like"...wake up the next morning and just quit. if it didn't work on your first trial, keep trying.
I smoked for over a decade. that was how I stopped. but make sure you keep away from drinking because, for me, it stimulates you for a stick of grass and that is the one thing u are trying to quit.

2 Likes

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by ted1741: 3:33pm On Dec 01, 2016
Drinking and smoking go hand in hand for some people, and quitting both at the same time can be difficult. Recovery should be about experiencing freedom and a commitment to living addiction-free. Therefore, follow these simple tips:
Write down how alcohol and tobacco affect you. Having a written record of the negative effects of alcohol and tobacco will serve as a constant reminder of why you have chosen to quit. Keep it in a place you can reference it easily. Reflect on any decreased physical or mental health as a result of tobacco and alcohol. Think of financial costs alcohol and tobacco cost you. Find your triggers. Use a notebook to record the times throughout the day you smoke or drink alcohol. Record what feelings or situations preceded using alcohol and tobacco. Avoid situations that may trigger you in the future. A trigger could be getting into an argument with your family or something not going well. Because alcohol and nicotine are highly correlated substances, one can trigger the other. For example, if you begin drinking, you may want to have a cigarette.
Avoid places where people smoke or drink. Being near places where smoking and drinking are encouraged can be dangerous when you are trying to quit. Avoid bars and other places where alcohol and tobacco are likely to be used. Take a break from people who regularly drink/smoke. Surrounding yourself with people that engage in behaviors you are trying to avoid can be tempting. Avoid high risk situations. High risk situations can include feeling lonely, tired, angry, and hungry. These situations can leave you feeling vulnerable and more prone to use alcohol or tobacco. Make sure you get enough sleep, eat throughout the day, and don't isolate yourself socially to avoid these high risk situations. If you feel anger coming on, remind yourself to relax and let it pass without depending on alcohol and cigarettes.
Join an exercise program. Exercise often helps reduce withdrawal symptoms, and it gives you something to do when you get a craving. Exercise also helps reduce daily stress, relaxes the mind and body, and helps repair some of the damage smoking has done to your health.
Breathe deeply to help yourself relax, drink lots of water to keep your hands and mouth busy (it helps flush the toxins from your system, and you can raise a glass to your success) and thank me later. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by kingmexy1997(m): 3:41pm On Dec 01, 2016
just pray and let your pastor and friends kno,so that they check on you

1 Like

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by tripoli007(m): 3:44pm On Dec 01, 2016
Tytylion:
Talk to your pastor

Was the pastor there ,when u picked the habit .. why do Nigerians attach so much to pastors?
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by slimbj: 3:45pm On Dec 01, 2016
GeemarxWorld:
Help Needed To Stop Some Bad Habits

I will want to know what kind of help I can get to stop drinking and smoking cigarettes.

I actually started these bad habits while I was quite very young and now am almost 33. I use to drink so much of beer, smoke alot of cigarettes and weed as well. This got really bad when I traveled out of the country for studies and spent so many years out there. I think the weather and the fact that smoking is so normal there that even my lecturers and I do have chats together while smoking in the smoking area made me get so addicted.

Now I have completely stopped smoking weed for more than two years and I don't really take beer except once in a blue moon but the big problem is that I think though I left the frying pan, I am inside the fire because I smoke cigarettes like really bad and I am addicted to hot drinks like brandy or whisky. I cannot stay a day without these two and it's really annoying me.

I want to settle down now and start looking forward to marriage and a beautiful family life so I really want to do myself the favor of living a wealthy life for my wife and kids. I don't want to be an irresponsible husband and father so please I really need all the help I can get on how to stop this habits.

Please I will love to here from you all in this section especially the professionals if there are drugs or medications I can take to stop these habits.

send a mail to olaolaakinola@gmail.com. From there you'll start a journey.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by canadiannaira: 3:46pm On Dec 01, 2016
I can help you via email: stoddard.spencer@gmail.com. It isn't easy but I do hope I can help. I would much prefer to help in private.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by komonibo(m): 3:48pm On Dec 01, 2016
I can sense dat most pple ere don't smoke...if u re involved in doz two tinz mentioned den u will understand what d op is saying...be strong bro...der are certain places u go 2 archive it...try avoiding doz places...we know is not easy...d Lord is ur strength

1 Like

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by francisduru: 3:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
Take NaOH
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Mockinbird: 3:55pm On Dec 01, 2016
Very simple, just go get the life changing book by Paul Mckeena; "Change your life in Seven days"
It has 7chapters, one for each day and on the 7th day, your mom would be proud of you.
i've got the pdf tho.
"if you can change your mind, you can change your LIFE"- Budah.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Q12(m): 4:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
I find it quite appalling that many Nigerians talk of just God when you are in problems like this. Sometimes they forget that faith in God without work is dead.

I am happy that many people have given you better advice. However you have to recognise that smoking is very addictive and difficult (not impossible) to quit. Even years after quitting, some exsmokers admit to nicotine craving.
I will share some of the tips we have used to help people:

1. DECISION: Just stop smoking. Tell yourself that each time you wake up in the morning. If you desire anything you will get it.
2. PLAN: summarize what ted1741 said in a piece of paper. This one works very well: visit a hospital and talk to people that have lung cancer. This will associate pain to your habit of smoking.
3. DISCIPLINE: you need to build a new habit to substitute the old one. Find a community of non-smokers including church. Your environment greatly influences you.
4. REPETITION: repeat #1-#3 everyday. It takes around >2months to form a new habit. I hope it doesn’t take you 1year.

Remember, people have done this before and will continue to do it. You can use same principles to get anything you want in life. It is not rocket science.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by nuclearBb5791(m): 4:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
The only recipe to qiuting is to give "drinking and Smoking" a heart brake.. Just be sobber for just 21 days without it.. All harbit are formed within this period
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by CMrecords: 4:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
First step Abstain from friends and Places you go smoking
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by histemple: 4:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
Tytylion:
Talk to your pastor

Who exactly is the pastor? Why not advise him to talk to God instead of relying on one scammer?
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 01, 2016
mu2sa2:
The "gradual" approach isn't out of place and infact may be the most realistic option for those who don't have your kind of determination.

I have seen many people try leaving off smoking using the gradual approach. None that I know of ever succeeded. The problem is, if your determination is not sufficient to keep you off cigarettes totally, it is definitely not going to be enough to keep you within a specific number of sticks per day. The gradual approach is actually much harder, believe me. You may maintain your quota for one week, and one day, under stress, or when reading for your exams, you exceed the quota once, and that is the end of the whole effort.

1 Like

Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by OlufemiWhit(m): 4:29pm On Dec 01, 2016
Just stop........Why do you want to stop anyway....it's very hard to stop smoking cigarretes......but if you really want to you have to be very determined
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by stephenqueen: 4:31pm On Dec 01, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
NP: Shayo - Chinko Ekun ft Dremo & Falz cheesy cheesy cheesy

Oshey!! cheesycheesy
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Nihilist: 4:45pm On Dec 01, 2016
Start Vaping. That's what I did. I know I can never quit nicotine, but at least I can reduce the amount and the carbon footprint on my lungs.

Smoking and drinking does not make you irresponsible though.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by Chau(f): 4:46pm On Dec 01, 2016
You should go and see a family physician or genral practitioner or a psychiatrist so your addiction will be graded and thus a treatment plan could be designed for you. What you need is proper guidance and counsell on the steps to quitting...this may or may not be sufficient depending on how addicted you are and may have to be combined with other therapy. In the main time, you could get ur non addict friends and relations involved in the process for motivation. Set out a period of time when you will want to stop the substances, do away with people or things or places that remind you of alcohol and cigarette. E.g clothes, ash tray etc.
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by iluvweed(m): 4:55pm On Dec 01, 2016
Bros something must kill a man jare...You are addicted already, many stress still coming your way that requires smoking something or having a little drink.... grin....Enjoy life while you can.... grin...I had a friend that stopped smoking after 15 yrs only to die the next yr in a car accident...not saying the death was associated to his quitting but the koko is that he still died....Something must kill a man!...do what makes you happy!
Re: Help, I Want To Stop Drinking And Smoking Of Cigarettes by brightahia(m): 4:58pm On Dec 01, 2016
if you are so determined in quitting smoking den.........

visit a PSYCHOTHERAPIST to use AVERCIVE technique in changing ur maladaptive behaviour

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Who Impregnated A Mad Woman In Katsina, Detained By Police / Body Of The First Victim Of Ebola Virus In Nigeria Cremated / Hiv/aids Cure - How The West Deceives Nigeria – Jacob Abdulahi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.