Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,774 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:40 AM

Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) (6262 Views)

Where Is Nigerian Petroleum Minister? - Aroms Aigbehi / Anambra Election. The Way Foward For Anambrarians / Way Foward: I Think We Should Scrap This Positions In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 7:18am On Dec 22, 2016
Blue3k:
Most nairalanders seem to have nostalgic view of the past before oil was discovered in Nigeria saying it was better economicly. I don't know if that's true since the oil helped Nigeria grow many fold. From what I can tell Nigeria was a mono economy then as well except the theme was agriculture.

Anyway agriculture isn't the way foward because it's not a big deal from imports stand point. It's very minor I terms of cost per year and percentage of total imports. Agricultural is also very minor in terms of our exporting potential aswell. Since we bearly take care of our domestic needs.

Industrialization is the answer people in Nigeria should be looking towards. The biggest drain on forex is actually machinery, chemical products, mineral products. All these things cold be manufactured domesticly at lower cost if there was electricity. These are better to focus on long term because our neighbors within west africa import these same thing primarily.

If we focus on this we could strengthen our foothold on manufacuting we would enjoy billions in savings and billions in exports to fellow Ecowas members. Please note strengthin agricultural base would be beneficial to economic diversification.

Sources:

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/report/472
http://www.worldstopexports.com/nigerias-top-10-imports/

The most important thing we need is Technological Education which is absent in our universities ,polytechnics, colleges, secondary and primary schools

Without this education, you will have worthless graduates who can't initiate industrialization at its primary stage( Workshop and Laboratories )

How many graduates if given 10million naira can establish a functional workshop/laboratory churning out modern technologies like phones computers fans engines etc

Why do you think YouWin wasn't so successful as anticipated by Okonjo Iweala

Give a Nigerian graduate 10million naira, and he will invest all into MMM because he lacks Technological education

Technological education should be taught to all undergraduates including lawyers Accountants Doctors etc from Year 1 to Final Year

It should be a subject/course taught every term/semester containing various technologies

We should teach our people from primary school to university two things about Technology

1) How they work
2) How they are produced

3 Likes

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 7:35am On Dec 22, 2016
Blue3k:

Lol the place has plenty of potential if the right policy are enacted. If that your final goal try getting political traction in state. Honestly is there any census of how favorably people think of idea.

Yes we do but the ease of business is terrible. The cost need to be reduced, red tape cut, and curruption issue minimized.

then private sector needs to find a way to '' pay the cost of doing business ''
Settle the right ppl and you'll be surprised how fast things will go
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 7:36am On Dec 22, 2016
EternalTruths:

The most important thing we need is Technological Education which is absent in our universities ,polytechnics, colleges, secondary and primary schools

Without this education, you will have worthless graduates who can't initiate industrialization at its primary stage( Workshop and Laboratories )

How many graduates if given 10million naira can establish a functional workshop/laboratory churning out modern technologies like phones computers fans engines etc

Give a Nigerian graduate 10million naira, and he will invest all into MMM because he lacks Technological education

Technological education should be taught to all undergraduates including lawyers Accountants Doctors etc from Year 1 to Final Year

It should be a subject/course taught every term/semester containing various technologies

We should teach our people from primary to secondary university two things about Technology

1) How they work
2) How they are produced
business skills you mean. Lots of tech ppl don't know how to make money.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 7:38am On Dec 22, 2016
Cromagnon:
business skills you mean. Lots of tech ppl don't know how to make money.

Technological skill first

How many phones have you seen produced by Nigerians in Nigeria

Go to China and see Chinese youths fabricating phones in their homes and exporting globally.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 7:39am On Dec 22, 2016
wirinet:

Why should farmers pay for their ancestral lands? A land inherited from their fathers and fore fathers, you are saying they should pay for it, to outsiders in state capitals, who has no interest in the land except for exploitative purposes. Sounds like internal colonization.
imagine if 1 man claims that his ancestors own all the land that Adam is his great grandfather. Pay to govt (rest of society) then collect c of o
Not colonisation just accountability
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 7:40am On Dec 22, 2016
JonSnow:
There is no way forward for this fraudulent experiment called nigger-area.

Split this nonsense and let us go our separate ways.
then what will you do when Chris Uba takeover
You'll say they should split to local govt level abi
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 7:44am On Dec 22, 2016
EternalTruths:

Technological skill first

How many phones have you seen produced by Nigerians in Nigeria

Go to China and see Chinese youths fabricating phones in their homes and exporting globally.
that is cut and paste
Enter computer village (land) and provide(entrepreneurship) parts (capital) andwatch those boys (labour) do the same.
Business sense is what we don't have
Engineer boku
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 7:49am On Dec 22, 2016
Cromagnon:
that is cut and paste
Enter computer village (land) and provide(entrepreneurship) parts (capital) andwatch those boys (labour) do the same.
Business sense is what we don't have
Engineer boku

You think so

OK tell me how many engines are produced by Nigerians and where I can buy one a newly produced one
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 8:28am On Dec 22, 2016
EternalTruths:

You think so

OK tell me how many engines are produced by Nigerians and where I can buy one a newly produced one
can't produce engine without steel industry
Can't produce Steel without capital for mining and refinery
Can't mine without saying for permits
Can't pay for permits if we keep beeching and moaning instead of raising capital
So learning how to raise money /capital and how to deploy it is the issue now friend
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by wirinet(m): 9:13am On Dec 22, 2016
Cromagnon:
imagine if 1 man claims that his ancestors own all the land that Adam is his great grandfather. Pay to govt (rest of society) then collect c of o
Not colonisation just accountability
The man will have to prove that his ancestors own all the lands before the land use act was enacted or before colonization. One person cannot just come and claim land in a community that does not belong to him, every one knows which family owns with lands. Conflicts of land ownerships within families in a community are settled by traditional authorities.
Ancestral land ownership is the bedrock of societies. It is absurd to say that lands my father and fore fathers inherited from my ancestors now belongs to the rest of society. That is communism and we know communism does not work.

4 Likes

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 9:18am On Dec 22, 2016
wirinet:

The man will have to prove that his ancestors own all the lands before the land use act was enacted or before colonization. One person cannot just come and claim land in a community that does not belong to him, every one know which family owned with lands. Conflicts of land ownerships within families in a community is settled by traditional authorities.
Ancestral land ownership is the bedrock of societies. It is absurd to say that lands my father and fore fathers inherited from my ancestors now belongs to the rest of society. That is communism and we know communism does not work.

how will he prove it without c of o
How did your forefathers acquire the land. By force or by mouth.
Can they challenge govt guns.
Communism is govt control from far place that have no idea what's going on at local level.
CommunalIsm is a different ish .
And once you've collected c of o it's now capitalism not communism.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 9:36am On Dec 22, 2016
Cromagnon:
Can't pay for permits if we keep beeching and moaning instead of raising capital
So learning how to raise money /capital and how to deploy it is the issue now friend

You are very funny

It seems you don't know that we have iron works going on all around the country but lack the technological knowledge to build steel products (eg engines) out of it

You think Ajaokuta is the only place Iron is mined in Nigeria

What of scrap metal steels and recycling.?

My friend, money is not the problem but lack of technological education

Even you, if you are given 100million naira, tell me what technological product can you produce in your Workshop

In short lets start with you

What technological product can you produce without foreign input .?

Cromagnon I am still waiting for your answer to my question above
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by wirinet(m): 9:59am On Dec 22, 2016
Cromagnon:
how will he prove it without c of o
How did the Oniru family prove they owned half of Iruland (Victoria Island) before the land use act? You do not need a c of o to know who owns which land. Most lands in Ikorodu does not have c of o and yet we know which family owns which lands. The lands seized by the FG in 1978 is being won back by the families that owned the lands before the enactment of the land use act.

How did your forefathers acquire the land. By force or by mouth.
Ancestral land ownership is usually acquired by being the first to settle in a land, through forceful acquisition by war or through outright contractual agreements.

Can they challenge govt guns.
That was why I called it colonization. The lands were forcefully acquired through threats of guns.

Communism is govt control from far place that have no idea what's going on at local level.
CommunalIsm is a different ish .
And once you've collected c of o it's now capitalism not communism.

You have the wrong concept of communism. Communism is control of resources by the state or some other central authority. It could be local or national. It does not allow private ownership of land, capital or resources.

3 Likes

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by wirinet(m): 10:12am On Dec 22, 2016
Cromagnon:

I have agreed with most of your postulations so far, but I vehemently disagree with the above.

The problem mitigating against our industrialization has little to do with capital. It has a lot to do with capacity and manpower. We lack the high level manpower both technologically and managerially to initiate industrialization. I have a friend who is an investment consultant in london, he contacted me and told me that he has Chinese investors who are ready to invest $20 billion in Nigeria, but they were yet to find suitable partners that is apart from the problem of insecurity.
Like in business, the reason for business failures is usually not lack of capital, but lack of innovation. I know many people who became billionaires by introducing innovative ideas. Money always follows profitable innovative ideas.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 1:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
Cromagnon:
then private sector needs to find a way to '' pay the cost of doing business ''
Settle the right ppl and you'll be surprised how fast things will go

I don't think you get what is meant by cost of doing business. It's about the overall regulations. It's burdensome and impedes progress. Start reading then comment again when your caught up with rest of us.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/nigeria-ranks-169th-position-world-bank-ease-business/
http://www.doingbusiness.org/data/exploreeconomies/nigeria
http://www.heritage.org/index/country/nigeria

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 1:58pm On Dec 22, 2016
EternalTruths:

We should teach our people from primary to secondary university two things about Technology

1) How they work
2) How they are produced

What do you mean by technical education. I agree people should learn programing and basic computer skills but after that it might not be necessary. I think we have more then enough engineers to get something going.

I agree polytechnics needs to beef up their curriculum. More technical knowledge is needed. That would be another topic though. Building microchips for phone is hard part. The other parts don't seem as difficult.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 2:04pm On Dec 22, 2016
Blue3k:

What do you mean by technical education. I agree people should learn programing and basic computer skills but after that it might not be necessary. I think we have more then enough engineers to get something going.

I agree polytechnics needs to beef up their curriculum. More technical knowledge is needed. That would be another topic though. Building microchips for phone is hard part. The other parts don't seem as difficult.

Technological education is different from technical education

Technological education focuses on 3 main things

1) How things work

2) How things are produced

3) How to make an engineering design work

Engineering is all about Design

For an economy to grow, you need the input of Technological education

Nigeria and Africa don't have technological education.

That is why we depend on import.

That is why our graduates can't produce lots of imported technology

That is why YouWin couldn't eradicate poverty completely as planned by Jonathan

That is why we don't need pure engineers but engineers who are well grounded technologically

Hope you understand now.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by wirinet(m): 2:12pm On Dec 22, 2016
Blue3k:

Technical education is useless without a science education base. Technology is the application of science. Our main problem is that our education lacks a science base. Most science students in our secondary schools or even tertiary institutions do not understand basic scientific principles, they are trained to only pass exams, no practical knowledge. They do not understand practical applications of the gas laws, newton's laws, Bohr's laws, etc, and you want these students to graduate from universities and produce technological items.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 2:23pm On Dec 22, 2016
wirinet:

Technical education is useless without a science education base. Technology is the application of science. Our main problem is that our education lacks a science base. Most science students in our secondary schools or even tertiary institutions do not understand basic scientific principles, they are trained to only pass exams, no practical knowledge. They do not understand practical applications of the gas laws, newton's laws, Bohr's laws, etc, and you want these students to graduate from universities and produce technological items.

There's 180 million people in country. Nobody needs to know everything. Just like a car plant of fast food restaurant. You only need to know your section of the business. I would assume by university or polytechnic training they should know those things.

ImprovING secondary school education is big step. My post doesn't cover that because I don't know about Nigerian education system because I didn't research or grow up in Nigeria. The only point is to show the long term benefits. The economic trends, saving from importing and export potential with ecowas sub-region would put us a regional top dog for many years.

You and eternaltruths know more about education then I would with having to research. How should it be improved. Should we be more like Germany, have tech highschool, teach coding?
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 2:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
wirinet:

Scientific and Engineering education are not our problem right now. In short, we are doing fine in those areas

Our problem now is the absence of Technological education

Our people don't know

1) How the technologies around them works

2) How the technologies around them are produced

These key information are lacking in our educational system

For this reason, a graduate given 10million naira will likely invest it into MMM than build a small industry (workshop/laboratory) that employs labor, create wealth etc
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 2:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
Blue3k:

There's 180 million people in country. Nobody needs to know everything. Just like a car plant of fast food restaurant. You only need to know your section of the business. I would assume by university or polytechnic training they should know those things.

ImprovING secondary school education is big step. My post doesn't cover that because I don't know about Nigerian education system because I didn't research or grow up in Nigeria. The only point is to show the long term benefits. The economic trends, saving from importing and export potential with ecowas sub-region would put us a regional top dog for many years.

You and eternaltruths know more about education then I would with having to research. How should it be improved. Should we be more like Germany, have tech highschool, teach coding?

We need to go beyond the Germans by making it compulsory for all students in order to build up our industrialization faster which is needed to eradicate unemployment
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 8:46pm On Dec 23, 2016
Blue3k:

I don't think you get what is meant by cost of doing business. It's about the overall regulations. It's burdensome and impedes progress. Start reading then comment again when your caught up with rest of us.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/nigeria-ranks-169th-position-world-bank-ease-business/
http://www.doingbusiness.org/data/exploreeconomies/nigeria
http://www.heritage.org/index/country/nigeria
you're te one not getting ''cost of doing business '' not cost of doing business.
They're not the same.
One is white market(fees) the other is black market (bribery) both are costs whether you like it or not. I did not make the rules of supply and demand
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 9:50pm On Dec 23, 2016
Cromagnon:
you're te one not getting ''cost of doing business '' not cost of doing business.
They're not the same.
One is white market(fees) the other is black market (bribery) both are costs whether you like it or not. I did not make the rules of supply and demand

I don't think you read it like I told you to. Both those things are directly related to government policy. The regulations and fees and red tape slows business growth. The bribery which falls under rule of law does same. Both these thing government effect.

Supply and demand on prices are left to market. Ease of business and economic freedom are in government hands. It's part of making good environment for development.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 9:58pm On Dec 23, 2016
wirinet:

I have agreed (thumbs up) [/b]with most of your postulations so far, but I vehemently disagree with the above.[b] understood

The problem mitigating against our industrialization has little to do with capital. It has a lot to do with capacity (please define capacity) [/b]and manpower [b] this is the entrepreneurship I'm talking about, skilled manpower . We lack the high level manpower (what I'm talking about) [/b]both technologically and managerially [b] (still saying the same thing) [/b]to initiate industrialization. I have a friend who is an investment consultant in london, he contacted me and told me that he has Chinese investors who are ready to invest $20 billion in Nigeria, but they were yet to find suitable partners that is apart from the problem of insecurity.[b] (still the same thing, inadequate managerial manpower not technical)
Like in business, the reason for business failures is usually not lack of capital, but lack of innovation[b] more managerial aka entrepreneurship aka business management) [/b]. I know many people who became billionaires by introducing innovative ideas. [b] (entrepreneurship) [/b]Money always follows profitable innovative ideas.
entrepreneurship
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 10:01pm On Dec 23, 2016
wirinet:

How did the Oniru family prove they owned half of Iruland (Victoria Island) before the land use act? You do not need a c of o to know who owns which land. Most lands in Ikorodu does not have c of o and yet we know which family owns which lands. The lands seized by the FG in 1978 is being won back by the families that owned the lands before the enactment of the land use act. honestly I can't say which comes first the chicken or the egg

Ancestral land ownership is usually acquired by being the first to settle in a land, through forceful acquisition by war or through outright contractual agreements.
survival of the fittest
So the farmers need to revolt or withhold their votes or som'n otherwise they're screwed

That was why I called it colonization. The lands were forcefully acquired through threats of guns.
more survival

You have the wrong concept of communism. Communism is control of resources by the state or some other central authority. It could be local or national. It does not allow private ownership of land, capital or resources.
nope it's the same concept
Different angle of view
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 11:17pm On Dec 23, 2016
EternalTruths:

You are very funny
so they say
It seems you don't know that we have iron works going on all around the country but lack the technological knowledge to build steel products (eg engines) out of it
Itakpe
Aladja
I'm not a complete ignoramus

You think Ajaokuta is the only place Iron is mined in Nigeria
but it is the jewel in the crown
What of scrap metal steels and recycling.?

My friend, money is not the problem but lack of technological education
I did not say money was
I said capital
And management or raising of it

Even you, if you are given 100million naira, tell me what technological product can you produce in your Workshop
not much without a gas turbine vs provide power
In short lets start with you
palm oyel, rice, bakery, garri factory, elubo, soap lots of things we can still do locally running on diesel

What technological product can you produce without foreign input .?

Cromagnon I am still waiting for your answer to my question above
no vex
Na my weekend
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 12:21am On Dec 24, 2016
Blue3k:

I don't think you read it like I told you to. Both those things are directly related to government policy. The regulations and fees and red tape slows business growth. The bribery which falls under rule of law does same. Both these thing government effect.
no I'm not
Yeah I'm different like that

Supply and demand on prices are left to market. yeah and govt has chook hand by giving themselves monopoly of regulation while favouring one competitor over another. Abi is it everyone that gets kerosene at subsidised price or forex. They have
Ease of business and economic freedom are in government hands. It's part of making good environment for development.
I understand
But now that they've signed and there is no one to report to, what now, roll over and die!!!
No sir
I say we move to plan b and bribe the shift out of the mess we're in.
Corruption can be a double edged sword.
Let's use it to our advantage instead of our detriment
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 12:24am On Dec 24, 2016
wirinet:

The man will have to prove that his ancestors own all the lands before the land use act was enacted or before colonization. One person cannot just come and claim land in a community that does not belong to him, every one know which family owned with lands. Conflicts of land ownerships within families in a community is settled by traditional authorities.

then farmers should go and claim their land na and use it to raise capital.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 4:16am On Dec 24, 2016
Cromagnon:
no vex
Na my weekend

You have not answered my question

If all things being equal and present for you eg light, capital, management, low taxes, market, etc

What technological product can you produce with little or no foreign input if given 100 million naira to start up

Don't dodge my question

Give me definite answer
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 5:07am On Dec 24, 2016
Just to bump the topic. The manufacturering sector would complement the governments efforts to envigorate the mining sector. Thus it will boost Northern Nigeria. Reducing poverty and strengthening country.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 8:12am On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

If all things being equal and present for you eg light, capital, management, low taxes, market, etc

What technological product can you produce with little or no foreign input if given 100 million naira to start up

Don't dodge my question

Give me definite answer
define tech product.
Define foreign input.
This is where I will catch you.
No run o
Just list what you mean by tech and what you mean by input. General heading
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 8:15am On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

Don't dodge my question

Give me definite answer
define tech product.
Define foreign input.
This is where I will catch you.
No run o
Just list what you mean by tech and what you mean by input. General heading

In fact we can make pipe.
Battery
Engine block
Bicycle again
Screws
Bolt
Nut
Torch light
Phone
TV
Washing machine
Anything they make in China
Ordinary mechanics can be trained to mass produce in weeks
Zinox makes computers
Innoson makes cars
And they use local ppl so I don't get the pocket science you're talking.
All you need is gifted entrepreneur, like dangote and above

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Watch As Governor Yahaya Bello Knelt Before Tinubu / Breaking News...Governor Lobbied For Vice President Post While Buhari Was Away / Suicide Bombers Kill At Least Three In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.