Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,831 members, 7,851,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:36 AM

Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) (6274 Views)

Where Is Nigerian Petroleum Minister? - Aroms Aigbehi / Anambra Election. The Way Foward For Anambrarians / Way Foward: I Think We Should Scrap This Positions In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 8:25am On Dec 24, 2016
Cromagnon:
define tech product.
Define foreign input.
This is where I will catch you.
No run o
Just list what you mean by tech and what you mean by input. General heading

In fact we can make pipe.
Battery
Engine block
Bicycle again
Screws
Bolt
Nut
Torch light
Phone
TV
Washing machine
Anything they make in China
Ordinary mechanics can be trained to mass produce in weeks
Zinox makes computers
Innoson makes cars
And they use local ppl so I don't get the pocket science you're talking.
All you need is gifted entrepreneur, like dangote and above

Modern sophisticated products especially electrical, electronics, mechanical and chemical products we mostly import.

Which of them can you produce if given 100million naira to open a small factory.?

I am waiting for you

As for engine block and computer, non is produced in Nigeria

Innoson imports his engine but build his body parts in Nigeria

Zinox couple his computers in Nigeria.

No where in Nigeria are microchips produced.

As for you answer the simple question above highlighted red
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by juman(m): 9:16am On Dec 24, 2016
OP

The first thing to note is that there is no steady electricity supply in the country.

There is no hope it would be improved in near future because apc government lack the sense and brain to do that.

Without light how come to do industrialization.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 10:37am On Dec 24, 2016
juman:
OP

The first thing to note is that there is no steady electricity supply in the country.

There is no hope it would be improved in near future because apc government lack the sense and brain to do that.

Electricity is not the key but technological education

Many African countries have stable electricity but are not industrialized eg Ghana Libya(Gaddafi Libya) Kenya Ivory Coast etc

The question you should ask yourself is, why are they not industrialized despite having constant electricity.?

Do you get the logic cool

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 1:30pm On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

Modern sophisticated products especially electrical, electronics, mechanical and chemical products we mostly import.

Which of them can you produce if given 100million naira to open a small factory.?

Microchips are a narrow field. There's only a few companies and countries that actually do it. I've been to Texas instruments manufacturering facility. It's space age and expensive to do microchips.

The first thing is the environment can't have any dirt or dust. The cost to build are in billions. The chips are pretty easy to mess up.

Lastly you bearly see them made in South Anerica or Oceania, or Middle East. I found a visual map.

http://www.thechipsource.com/microchip-technologies-where-they-are-made.html

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/hs92/8541/

juman:
OP

I know I mentioned that already. I qouted my original post. Other than that a few technician and engineers to get ball rolling. Most of these devices aren't that hard to make. They just have high upstart cost.

Blue3k:

All these things cold be manufactured domesticly at lower cost if there was electricity.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 1:47pm On Dec 24, 2016
Blue3k:

Microchips are a narrow field. There's only a few companies and countries that actually do it. I've been to Texas instruments manufacturering facility. It's space age and expensive to do microchips.

The first thing is the environment can't have any dirt or dust. The cost to build are in billions. The chips are pretty easy to mess up.

Lastly you bearly see them made in South Anerica or Oceania, or Middle East. I found a visual map.

http://www.thechipsource.com/microchip-technologies-where-they-are-made.html

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/hs92/8541/

I know I mentioned that already. I qouted my original post. Other than that a few technician and engineers to get ball rolling. Most of these devices aren't that hard to make. They just have high upstart cost.

Is not that expensive as you think

The problem is that our people lack the technological know how due to the absence of technological education.

I know it might be difficult for you to understand the importance of technological education but if you do a deeper research about it, you will realize why the world is full of poor countries and rich countries

Without Technological education, industrialization will never sprut up no matter the infrastructure, capital , determination etc

What you don't know you can't produce

What you can't produce you can't sell

When you don't sell you can't make money

When you can't make money, poverty becomes a friend

This is what Ojukwu saw that made him to establish a College of Science and Technology in PortHarcourt unfortunately for him,

Those who drafted the curriculum missed it and the war buried it.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 2:08pm On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

The problem is that our people lack the technological know how due to the absence of technological education.

I know it might be difficult for you to understand the importance of technological education but if you do a deeper research about it, you will realize why the world is full of poor people.

Without Technological education, industrialization will never sprut up no matter the infrastructure, capital , etc

What you don't know you can't produce

I can literally count the number of people that know how the semiconductor are made. It's no more then 10 unless ur in engineering class. The specializing makes it so it hardly matters. I know you want every single person to embark on skill but it's not necessary for full scale industry.

There are already engineers and technicians. A sizable minority that school abroad as I've seen. The lack of economic freedom and infastrure makes it difficult.

The focus could start with education system. Technical skills, apprentice programs lastly students should graduate with licenses for various fields of interest. If they desire college route they should have dual credit secondary school courses that give opertuinity to have college credits. These are options people in highschool get in Texas.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 3:22pm On Dec 24, 2016
Blue3k:

I can literally count the number of people that know how the semiconductor are made. It's no more then 10 unless ur in engineering class. The specializing makes it so it hardly matters. I know you want every single person to embark on skill but it's not necessary for full scale industry.

There are already engineers and technicians. A sizable minority that school abroad as I've seen. The lack of economic freedom and infastrure makes it difficult.

The focus could start with education system. Technical skills, apprentice programs lastly students should graduate with licenses for various fields of interest. If they desire college route they should have dual credit secondary school courses that give opertuinity to have college credits. These are options people in highschool get in Texas.

Nigerian engineers and technicians are not equipped with technological knowledge.

I am talking out of experience.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by omohayek: 3:40pm On Dec 24, 2016
Blue3k:

Exactly. The diaspora is full of Nigerians with advanced degrees in all sorts of technical fields, and even if that wasn't the case, talent can always initially be imported if the environment is right.

China started out its industrialization at the lowest end, making cheap plastic toys and the like, and the climb towards more sophisticated production has been a gradual one. Typically, what would happen is that a Japanese or American (and lately, Korean) company would begin by bringing some lower-end production to China, and start training up the cheaper locals to take over more sophisticated tasks from the expats brought in to start up the operation. After a few years, the factories would have been completely localized, and those locals who left to start up their own firms or work elsewhere would still keep the skills they learned on the job. The whole subject of technology transfer and "learning by doing" has a wealth of research literature to back up what I'm saying here.

Part of the problem with the skills of the Nigerian workforce is that there aren't the necessary jobs to motivate young people to take their studies more seriously. What point is there in studying for years to become an engineer only to sit idle while some less qualified person is hired because they have the right relatives, or can benefit from the quota system ( aka "federal character" ) ? If there were lots of secure, well-paying job openings for highly skilled people, students and their families would even borrow the money required to study at the best institutions, just as it is done in America and Britain.

Finally, it doesn't take any fancy education to be an assembly-line worker in a textile manufacturing plant, or a factory turning out shoes and cheap toys, but those are precisely the sorts of jobs that were responsible for China's initial take-off. Now that the Chinese are getting wealthier, these jobs are starting to relocate to cheaper parts of the world, and there's no reason why Nigeria shouldn't be one of those places. The average Nigerian urban dweller isn't less educated than the sorts of migrant laborers who staffed the factories in Shenzhen.

In short, the claim that the problem with Nigeria is a lack of "technical education" is a red herring.

2 Likes

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Ejanla07: 4:24pm On Dec 24, 2016
Blue3k:

Lol I said same thing. The title was to get your attention. My main point was our main focus should be on industrilization.

Agriculture does lead to industrilization. We already have strong enough base that our population can be feed relatively well. That's why giant cities like Lagos can exist. The industry is next step.

A very successful industrialist will be jealous of a very successful farmer.

Like someone pointed out, farming leads to industrilization. . . Wen ur farm grow. It will be self sustained. . At a point u ll ve bankable money dat can be invested in industries....
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Sibrah: 5:05pm On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

You are very funny

It seems you don't know that we have iron works going on all around the country but lack the technological knowledge to build steel products (eg engines) out of it

You think Ajaokuta is the only place Iron is mined in Nigeria

What of scrap metal steels and recycling.?

My friend, money is not the problem but lack of technological education

Even you, if you are given 100million naira, tell me what technological product can you produce in your Workshop

In short lets start with you

What technological product can you produce without foreign input .?

Cromagnon I am still waiting for your answer to my question above
What is his training and qualification?
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Sibrah: 5:36pm On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

Nigerian engineers and technicians are not equipped with technological knowledge.

I am talking out of experience.
True. There are lots of half knowlegde engineers out there . . .
Our institutions are mostly accredited for award of degrees or certificates and not set up to do research.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by manny4life(m): 5:45pm On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

Electricity is not the key but technological education

Many African countries have stable electricity but are not industrialized eg Ghana Libya(Gaddafi Libya) Kenya Ivory Coast etc

The question you should ask yourself is, why are they not industrialized despite having constant electricity.?

Do you get the logic cool

Technological education is important but this isn't really the key. Every country is good or better than the other in something, we must learn to walk before we run. Technology isn't the key driver to Nigeria's prosperity, we have to improve infrastructures first. If China worried more about building planes and warships first instead of increasing their base manufacturing and strengthening their infrastructural asset, they would not be where they are today. If they neglected capital and towed the path of "spend-as-you-earn", they would not be so financially prosperous to embark on large-scale financial projects like the three-gorges dam that gulped almost $28billion.

Despite the number of foreign engineers that have visited Nigeria to turnaround the refineries or even the electrical distribution network, despite the number of technocrats we have in govt, most of them are foreign trained, why is it that many haven't been able to turn things around? Very simple, the infrastructures are dilapidated or nonexistent anymore. You cannot talk about an advanced economy and thus neglecting infrastructures and CAPITAL while relying primarily on technology and then think you would survive... This is why the U.S. is in it's current state, old infrastructures and no money, it was only a matter of time before companies started sourcing cheaper tech outside the U.S.

Advanced technology is good but it can never be a sole driver to prosperity in any economy...Advanced technology cost MONEY, it's not cheap. It gulped Chinese Aerospace tens of billions of $$$$ just to build their first airplane. Like the gentleman talked about Texas Instrument, erecting a building of such magnitude and specification cost billions of $$$$ and only a few people know how the tech works exactly. Nigeria doesn't have this type of money. Even in pharmaceutical, it's cost about a billion $$$ for R&grin for a new type of national drug, so right now, borrowed technology would do until we have the infrastructures and the CAPITAL in place to move onto advanced tech.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 8:35pm On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

100 million naira is less than 250k dollars
The money is too small to do what you're asking.
Why I said entrepreneurship is all important.
It doesn't matter how technological minded you are, it is more important to know how to finance and market said products.
Tech ppl have 1 track mind,1 + 1
Business ppl are broader 2+2 minded

I am waiting for you
but worst case scenario
You do like Chinese
Buy parts
Assemble (many radionic will scatter and arrange any electroni

Chemicals is easy
Soap can be done with 2k naira and you scale up
With 100 m laaaa I don hammer be dat
Pliers, hammers, screwdrivers can be manufactured with that kind of money and as you make more profit you move up or down the value chain as appropriate

no but they can be once Steel and aluminium industry on point
so what do you think Toyota does and where do you think the bulk of money is made
Zinox couple his computers in Nigeria.
so, what's your point, is it not production
you buy the machine
Go for training and make '' photocopies ''
Japanese did it
Koreans did it
Chinese are doingit
Not rocket science anymore

As for you answer the simple question above highlighted red
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 8:57pm On Dec 24, 2016

" you buy the machine
Japanese did it
Koreans did it
Chinese are doingit
Not rocket science anymore."
. Cromagnon

Read your second line

" Go for training and make photocopies "

Can you see now that you have agreed with me that we lack technological education necessary to make photocopies

Thank you for accepting that we need training to make photocopies which Technological education can help us to do
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 9:01pm On Dec 24, 2016
manny4life:

Technological education is important but this isn't really the key. Every country is good or better than the other in something, we must learn to walk before we run. Technology isn't the key driver to Nigeria's prosperity, we have to improve infrastructures first. If China worried more about building planes and warships first instead of increasing their base manufacturing and strengthening their infrastructural asset, they would not be where they are today. If they neglected capital and towed the path of "spend-as-you-earn", they would not be so financially prosperous to embark on large-scale financial projects like the three-gorges dam that gulped almost $28billion.

Despite the number of foreign engineers that have visited Nigeria to turnaround the refineries or even the electrical distribution network, despite the number of technocrats we have in govt, most of them are foreign trained, why is it that many haven't been able to turn things around? Very simple, the infrastructures are dilapidated or nonexistent anymore. You cannot talk about an advanced economy and thus neglecting infrastructures and CAPITAL while relying primarily on technology and then think you would survive... This is why the U.S. is in it's current state, old infrastructures and no money, it was only a matter of time before companies started sourcing cheaper tech outside the U.S.

Advanced technology is good but it can never be a sole driver to prosperity in any economy...Advanced technology cost MONEY, it's not cheap. It gulped Chinese Aerospace tens of billions of $$$$ just to build their first airplane. Like the gentleman talked about Texas Instrument, erecting a building of such magnitude and specification cost billions of $$$$ and only a few people know how the tech works exactly. Nigeria doesn't have this type of money. Even in pharmaceutical, it's cost about a billion $$$ for R&grin for a new type of national drug, so right now, borrowed technology would do until we have the infrastructures and the CAPITAL in place to move onto advanced tech.

My friend you are totally wrong

Let's start with Libya led by Gaddafi and Saudi Arabia

Gaddafi built a Libya where infrastructure and capital where in Abundance

Saudi Arabia has world class infrastructure and capital

Now my question for you, why couldn't Libya and Saudi Arabia repeat the Japanese Korean and Chinese miracles.

Lack of Technological education

Without technological education, your capital and infrastructure becomes worthless

Do you know why.?

Peoples input make a Nation great

Technological education is the main tool that empowers the people to build a great economy

To tell you how little our technological education is, find out why YouWin couldn't achieve its target

Do you know that if Buhari decides to give any Professor of Science, Engineering or Technology who has produced or can produce any of the Technology we import, $1million dollars to establish a factory that can produce any of the things we import, Buhari will not get up to 10% of Professors who can replicate those technologies

In other words, for every 1000 Professors, Buhari will struggle to get 1 Professor who can replicate those technologies

Why

Lack of technological education

That's how bad things are
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 9:26pm On Dec 24, 2016
Cromagnon hope you now agree with me from your statement

Thanks for understanding

Pls spread the message

To photocopy a technology you must be trained and technological education can provide that training
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 9:28pm On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

I know it might be difficult for you to understand the importance of technological education but if you do a deeper research about it, you will realize why the world is full of poor countries and rich countries

Without Technological education, industrialization will never sprut up no matter the infrastructure, capital , determination etc

What you don't know (you pay consultant, teacher, trainer for)technical skill can be taught
,bought, stolen

But to know and be willing to do the above listed is what entrepreneurship and good management is all about.
You don't need any bricklayer or carpentry or electrician knowledge to build a house.
You simply hire the workers
Without wise dispensation(management, administration,entrepreneural spirit) of capital nothing for you
you can't produce

This is what Ojukwu saw that made him to establish a College of Science and Technology in PortHarcourt unfortunately for him,

Those who drafted the curriculum missed it and the war buried it.
if he had started a refinery nobody will tell job applicants to acquire proper curriculum
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 9:34pm On Dec 24, 2016
Cromagnon:
if he had started a refinery nobody will tell job applicants to acquire proper curriculum

Do you know that the white people told the Africans that it will take them 500years to know how to refine crude oil

It was the Biafrans a man from present day Anambra who studied oversea that taught Biafrans how to locally refine crude oil which surprised the Europeans.

Technological education is the key
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 9:35pm On Dec 24, 2016
juman:
OP

private electricity
We already do it albeit at residential level
We simply scale up
Banks can sponsor industrial estate (with off grid gas turbine) instead of all this banana island nonsense that we're doing
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 9:37pm On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

Do you know that the white people told the Africans that it will take them 500years to know how to refine crude oil

It was the Biafrans a man from present day Anambra who studied oversea that taught Biafrans how to locally refine crude oil which surprised the Europeans.

Technological education is the key
it's part of it but it's not key. That's called psychological warfare.
Clearly it's working cos you're so fixed on gaining tech education while forgetting that it's good management that makes wealth possible
Without capital to buy input tech Ed is useless.
How many of our chemical engineers make soap even though they were taught.
No entrepreneurial spirit
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 9:43pm On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:
Cromagnon hope you now agree with me from your statement

Thanks for understanding

Pls spread the message

To photocopy a technology you must be trained and technological education can provide that training
no you don't need to be trained. You pay the hungry trained person to do it for you and you make the real money

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 9:45pm On Dec 24, 2016
EternalTruths:

" you buy the machine
Japanese did it
Koreans did it
Chinese are doingit
Not rocket science anymore."
. Cromagnon

Read your second line

" Go for training and make photocopies "

Can you see now that you have agreed with me that we lack technological education necessary to make photocopies

Thank you for accepting that we need training to make photocopies which Technological education can help us to do
we already have trained(specialised small picture training) ppl Biko abi you not reading properly
They simply not trained to make money (big picture)
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 6:17am On Dec 25, 2016
Cromagnon:
it's part of it but it's not key. That's called psychological warfare.
Clearly it's working cos you're so fixed on gaining tech education while forgetting that it's good management that makes wealth possible
Without capital to buy input tech Ed is useless.
How many of our chemical engineers make soap even though they were taught.
No entrepreneurial spirit

It seems you are not a graduate of Science Engineering or Technology

Because if you are, you will know that most Chemical Engineering departments in Nigeria don't teach their students how to produce Chemical technological products

Is of recent, they introduced Chemical Technology as a course in one semester instead of all semesters and to make matter worst, the students are not taught at least 10 technologies in that semester.

My dear

If Technological education is taught every term/semester at the rate of 10 per term/semester, a child taught that from primary school to university would have being exposed to at least 250 technologies

A graduate that has being taught 250 technologies will definitely find interest in establishing a factory of his or her desire because he or she knows

1) how that technology works

2) how that technology is produced

With these 2 knowledge in his or her possession

The next set of things he or she now needs are

1) Capital (YouWin can now fully achieve its success )

2) Infrastructure(electricity and transportation networks)

3) Market(customers/consumers)

4) Government suppression of foreign products in order to support indigenous products

All these once his or her product is of international standard

Juman

Manny4life

Sibrah

Blue3k

Ejanla07

Omohayek

Wirinet

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Sibrah: 8:48am On Dec 25, 2016
EternalTruths:

It seems you are not a graduate of Science Engineering or Technology

Because if you are, you will know that most Chemical Engineering departments in Nigeria don't teach their students how to produce Chemical technological products

Is of recent, they introduced Chemical Technology as a course in one semester instead of all semesters and to make matter worst, the students are not taught at least 10 technologies in that semester.

My dear

If Technological education is taught every term/semester at the rate of 10 per term/semester, a child taught that from primary school to university would have being exposed to at least 250 technologies

A graduate that has being taught 250 technologies will definitely find interest in establishing a factory of his or her desire because he or she knows

1) how that technology works

2) how that technology is produced

With these 2 knowledge in his or her possession

The next set of things he or she now needs are

1) Capital (YouWin can now fully achieve its success )

2) Infrastructure(electricity and transportation networks)

3) Market(customers/consumers)

4) Government suppression of foreign products in order to support indigenous products

All these once his or her product is of international standard

Juman

Manny4life

Sibrah

Blue3k

Ejanla07

Omohayek

Wirinet
People think engineering at degree level exposes you to real life application of engineering. Like I said earlier, what we have in Nigeria is Degree awarding schools. Only few private schools are trying to go practical.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 6:30pm On Dec 25, 2016
Sibrah:
People think engineering at degree level exposes you to real life application of engineering. Like I said earlier, what we have in Nigeria is Degree awarding schools. Only few private schools are trying to go practical.

True

As for the private schools, I believe they should introduce Technological Education in all their semesters teaching the students at least 20 technologies every semester which will amount to 180 technologies by the end of their 5years in school.

Tech 101
Tech 102
Tech 201
Tech 202
Tech 301
Tech 302
Tech 401
Tech 501
Tech 502

Two things should be taught

1) How technological products in their field of study works

2) How technological products in their field of study are produced

With these 2 sets of knowledge and exposure to 180 technologies, those guys will the pioneers of Nigeria industrial awakening cool
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by GreatNegro(m): 11:18am On Dec 26, 2016
I am really proud of all of you, for your time to think of how we can solve our economic problem.
What I have noticed among many people is that they are not ready to establish industry of their own, they would rather work and accept anything being paid.
Some people are not even ready to learn the few technologies we have here. My school is organising a 3 month training on vocational and technical training and only few students applied for it. I think the main problem is lack of orietation.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by EternalTruths: 3:28am On Dec 27, 2016
GreatNegro:
I am really proud of all of you, for your time to think of how we can solve our economic problem.
What I have noticed among many people is that they are not ready to establish industry of their own, they would rather work and accept anything being paid.
Some people are not even ready to learn the few technologies we have here. My school is organising a 3 month training on vocational and technical training and only few students applied for it. I think the main problem is lack of orietation.

You are right

That is why Technological education must be introduced as a compulsory subject/course every term/semester with a target of 20 per term/semester.

The Technologies to be taught should be advance Mechanical Electrical Electronics Chemical Agricultural etc technologies

The days of teaching undergraduates and graduates tailoring, bead making, bread making, cake makingetc are over not because those things aren't good but because there are neither not going to solve our importation problem or our absence of innovative products.

So your school needs to upgrade if it wants to attract the attention of students cool
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Dedetwo(m): 9:13am On Dec 27, 2016
Blue3k:
Most nairalanders seem to have nostalgic view of the past before oil was discovered in Nigeria saying it was better economicly. I don't know if that's true since the oil helped Nigeria grow many fold. From what I can tell Nigeria was a mono economy then as well except the theme was agriculture.

Anyway agriculture isn't the way foward because it's not a big deal from imports stand point. It's very minor I terms of cost per year and percentage of total imports. Agricultural is also very minor in terms of our exporting potential aswell. Since we bearly take care of our domestic needs.

Industrialization is the answer people in Nigeria should be looking towards. The biggest drain on forex is actually machinery, chemical products, mineral products. All these things cold be manufactured domesticly at lower cost if there was electricity. These are better to focus on long term because our neighbors within west africa import these same thing primarily.

If we focus on this we could strengthen our foothold on manufacuting we would enjoy billions in savings and billions in exports to fellow Ecowas members. Please note strengthening agricultural base would be beneficial to economic diversification.

Sources:

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/report/472
http://www.worldstopexports.com/nigerias-top-10-imports/

This stream of thought is one of the reasons Nigeria remains a backwater. How would you feed your industrialized machines? And how would you thinker the nuances of industrialization on empty stomach? You sounded like some of the empty-headed politicians from Nigeria.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 1:50pm On Dec 27, 2016
Dedetwo:

This stream of thought is one of the reasons Nigeria remains a backwater. How would you feed your industrialized machines? And how would you thinker the nuances of industrialization on empty stomach? You sounded like some of the empty-headed politicians from Nigeria.

You're just another inept mouth breather. There more than enough natural mineral resources in northern Nigeria, we also have means to import. The means to produce power already here at cheap rates. Lol I'm also guessing you didn't read fact this is long term. I guess you haven't heard of countries like Japan, S. Korea, Singapore that do it.

Second There's obviously more than enough food going around if Nigeria has the ability to sustain mega cities like Lagos. You're just a hungry peasant who lacks brain capicity for these sort of subjects.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by davidif: 7:10pm On Dec 31, 2016
Blue3k:
Most nairalanders seem to have nostalgic view of the past before oil was discovered in Nigeria saying it was better economicly. I don't know if that's true since the oil helped Nigeria grow many fold. From what I can tell Nigeria was a mono economy then as well except the theme was agriculture.

Anyway agriculture isn't the way foward because it's not a big deal from imports stand point. It's very minor I terms of cost per year and percentage of total imports. Agricultural is also very minor in terms of our exporting potential aswell. Since we bearly take care of our domestic needs.

Industrialization is the answer people in Nigeria should be looking towards. The biggest drain on forex is actually machinery, chemical products, mineral products. All these things cold be manufactured domesticly at lower cost if there was electricity. These are better to focus on long term because our neighbors within west africa import these same thing primarily.

If we focus on this we could strengthen our foothold on manufacuting we would enjoy billions in savings and billions in exports to fellow Ecowas members. Please note strengthening agricultural base would be beneficial to economic diversification.

Sources:

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/report/472
http://www.worldstopexports.com/nigerias-top-10-imports/

Finally! Someone gets it. Nigerians love shouting about Agriculture as if its the be all and and all to Nigeria's problems when Agriculture can only take you so far.

Industrialization is the future.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by davidif: 7:11pm On Dec 31, 2016
Maisuya1:
either way you look at it agriculture is the way forward. Establish your self as selfsuficient food producer and integrate the whole value chain (production, processing etc) and you have a guaranteed export market for eons to come. Any other industrialization trajectory we follow beside agriculture is subject to structural and cyclical shocks in the global economy. Its kind of twisted, but agriculture is a beautiful thing

Wrong! Agrarian economies tend to be the poorest in the world.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 7:26pm On Dec 31, 2016
davidif:

Finally! Someone gets it. Nigerians love shouting about Agriculture as if its the be all and and all to Nigeria's problems when Agriculture can only take you so far.

Industrialization is the future.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INEC Promotes 1,307 Staff Nationwide / Intimidating Personalities On Olawepo Hashim's Presidential Campaign Council / IPOB Wait In New Jersey To Give Ugwuanyi And Utazi The Ekweremadu Treatment(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.