Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,764 members, 7,851,610 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:39 AM

Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) (6257 Views)

Where Is Nigerian Petroleum Minister? - Aroms Aigbehi / Anambra Election. The Way Foward For Anambrarians / Way Foward: I Think We Should Scrap This Positions In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by proeast(m): 7:37pm On Dec 31, 2016
Maisuya1:
either way you look at it agriculture is the way forward. Establish your self as selfsuficient food producer and integrate the whole value chain (production, processing etc) and you have a guaranteed export market for eons to come. Any other industrialization trajectory we follow beside agriculture is subject to structural and cyclical shocks in the global economy. Its kind of twisted, but agriculture is a beautiful thing
The Jews are already doing that if in doubt just take a ride to either Nnewi or Aba and see great things they are doing. The major setback is lack of infrastructure like energy, iron and steel complex, good roads etc as well bad policies from the government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by juman(m): 2:34am On Jan 02, 2017
So far the unserious apc is too confused to know exactly what to do on agriculture.
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 7:22am On Jan 02, 2017
EternalTruths:

It seems you are not a graduate of Science Engineering or Technology

Because if you are, you will know that most Chemical Engineering departments in Nigeria don't teach their students how to produce Chemical technological products
all my science teachers fromprimary school knew about soap making
which school did you go

Is of recent, they introduced Chemical Technology as a course in one semester instead of all semesters and to make matter worst, the students are not taught at least 10 technologies in that semester.

My dear

If Technological education is taught every term/semester at the rate of 10 per term/semester, a child taught that from primary school to university would have being exposed to at least 250 technologies

A graduate that has being taught 250 technologies will definitely find interest in establishing a factory of his or her desire because he or she knows

1) how that technology works

2) how that technology is produced

With these 2 knowledge in his or her possession

The next set of things he or she now needs are

1) Capital (YouWin can now fully achieve its success )

2) Infrastructure(electricity and transportation networks)

3) Market(customers/consumers)

4) Government suppression of foreign products in order to support indigenous products

All these once his or her product is of international standard

Juman

Manny4life

Sibrah

Blue3k

Ejanla07

Omohayek

Wirinet
but long and short is after the training
which Nepa will they use to produce or which money or which machinery or......
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 7:25am On Jan 02, 2017
EternalTruths:

True

As for the private schools, I believe they should introduce Technological Education in all their semesters teaching the students at least 20 technologies every semester which will amount to 180 technologies by the end of their 5years in school.

Tech 101
Tech 102
Tech 201
Tech 202
Tech 301
Tech 302
Tech 401
Tech 501
Tech 502

Two things should be taught

1) How technological products in their field of study works

2) How technological products in their field of study are produced

With these 2 sets of knowledge and exposure to 180 technologies, those guys will the pioneers of Nigeria industrial awakening cool
are you sure
agric students were trained
They all looking for bank work
all your scientists will be looking for oil company job
None interested in building anything
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 7:26am On Jan 02, 2017
GreatNegro:
I am really proud of all of you, for your time to think of how we can solve our economic problem.
What I have noticed among many people is that they are not ready to establish industry of their own, they would rather work and accept anything being paid.
Some people are not even ready to learn the few technologies we have here. My school is organising a 3 month training on vocational and technical training and only few students applied for it. I think the main problem is lack of orietation.
path of least resistance
and also no light to power the industry
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Cromagnon: 7:30am On Jan 02, 2017
davidif:

Finally! Someone gets it. Nigerians love shouting about Agriculture as if its the be all and and all to Nigeria's problems when Agriculture can only take you so far.

Industrialization is the future.
of course industry is final frontier but agric is a quick win with greater multiplier effect than industry. You get more bang for your buck through agric investment as a politician or economist
Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 9:19am On Mar 05, 2017
Nothing new to add but data for 2016 shows continued trend importing mainly machinery (capital goods), mineral products (fuel), Chemical Products, then food comes in forth. Last place is base metals.

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 2:56pm On Mar 09, 2017
I remember there was push back to my original post. People had multiple critiques about subject. They said included education, infastrure and sourcing materials. The Economic Recovery Growth Plan seems to have interest in all these areas.

I already explained how Manufacturing would reap higher returns based on West African import data.

The government seems to have a plan in place for education in regards to industrilization by improving Vocation and STEM education in college. Then improve in the primary to secondary pipeline.

Source:
http://nigerianstat.gov.ng/report/521

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 3:30pm On Mar 09, 2017
On infastrure the plan includes more private sector development of power generation, nationwide metering, stop flaring, privitise NIPP generation assets etc.

We all know abut rail. Other stuff include improving inland water transport, tolling roads, rehabilitating highways, and infastrure bonds.

1 Like

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 3:33pm On Mar 09, 2017
Infastrure continued. Sorry it's out of order phone mixed up numbers. I'll redo later when I can go in and edit numbers.

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 3:52pm On Mar 09, 2017
Lastly the materials. We have Iron ore deposits, coal and gold scattered across country. All which make industry easy. People mine the earth bring then manufactures bring finished goods.

Since map is hard to read.

•Mid grade to high grade Iron ore in Kogi axis.

•North East Reconstruction of Mining Initiative –Gem Stones and industrial minerals

•High quality coal reservesin Enugu-Benue-Kogi axis

•Billions of barrels of bitumen in Ondo/Niger Delta belt

•High value gold reserves concentrated in the central and northern belts.

Re: Long term Agriculture is Not Way Foward Industrialization Is. (nigerian Economy) by Blue3k(m): 4:42pm On Aug 19, 2017
I'm probably going to redo this topic when I do enough research. There's so many facts that prove this assertion correct. Trade data over sentiments. I'd probably just add like stuff concerning education, transport and structural reforms that would make Nigeria a regional hegemony. Then figure out how to format it digestible parts.

Looking at this data in relation to Nigeria we see most of imports Nigeria can supply. We carry bulk exports and imports. First we just need to reform domestic policy like deregulation of oil & gas sector, improving power, and reducing corruption. Everything is simple not easy. On a regional level only Cereals and Fish and Seafood even make top 10.

1. Fuel we have it and can supply it. As long infrastructure in place. We're planning on building pipeline to Morocco for a European trade. Let's focus more in Nigeria and ECOWAS.

2. The Machinery is why Most ECOWAS countries trade mostly with Europe and Asia. We could earn big and increase influence by industrializing first.

3. Plastic are made from oil and we have oil.

4. Iron and Steel. We have that available in many spots. We should privates all government owned steel plants. Things like Land use act and minerals being in exclusive domain of federal government hinder it.

5. I'll count pharmaceutical in industrial products. This one will be tough cookie. I'm sure we could probably make generic pretty good.

6. The vehicle are bug imports. This one probably be difficult aswell.

As for regional imports, they are dominated by about ten products. Fuels still hold a leading position in this list. They represent 24% of total imports. They are followed by motor vehicles, tractors, cycles and other vehicles (2nd place), machinery , mechanical appliances and boilers (3rd), machinery and electrical appliances (4th), cereals (5th) , plastics (6th), works in iron, iron and steel (7th), iron, cast iron, steel (8th) , pharmaceuticals (9th) and fish and seafood (10th). As for the exports, Nigeria appears here also in a dominant position by making alone 41% of transactions against 18 % in Ghana, 10% each for Senegal and Côte d’Ivoire. Nigeria and Ghana together perform 59 % of the Community imports against 36% for the eight Countries of the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU). The other five Countries of the ECOWAS Member States realize only 5 % of the Community imports.

http://www.ecowas.int/doing-business-in-ecowas/import-and-export/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: CCT Judgment On Onnog‎hen Shifted From 9am Till Noon / Another Woman Exposes Dangote’s Buttocks In Viral Video (Photos) / Drug Offences: 6000 Nigerians In Foreign Jails

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.