Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,312 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? (22213 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / My Neighbour's Wife Peeps Through My Door, Should I Report To The Husband? / Could My Husband Be Having An Affair? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by lbotus(f): 11:58am On Nov 12, 2009
The man is the head of the family and the woman is the helper.The man should not make it mandatory for her.it is suppose to be a voluntary kind of contribution.i don't think telling your wife to pay some of the bills is a good idea cos it will make her feel u aren't man enough if u come up with that.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by ladygaga(f): 12:07pm On Nov 12, 2009
The man is the head of the family and the woman is the helper.The man should not make it mandatory for her.it is suppose to be a voluntary kind of contribution.i don't think telling your wife to pay some of the bills is a good idea cos it will make her feel u aren't man enough if u come up with that.

not man enuf,,,,,,says who,
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by lbotus(f): 12:30pm On Nov 12, 2009
says me.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Vavavoom(m): 1:12pm On Nov 12, 2009
lbotus:

In the business of being married and working to have a happy home there is hardly any room for ''volunteering'' from any party to the agreement as each SHOULD know the strength of the other and accpet that for continued peace and harmony to thrieve it would require them to go the extra mile every now and then. I read a lot of comments in here and apparently some folks are still caught in ''pretimes'', periods in which the definition of being a woman was akin to accept the second role, spare tyre if you will. Times have changed. Boundaries shortened by technology, information more accessible than before and job 'fillability' not limited by sex! If as a woman you desire a particular kind of school for your ward and your husband can't meet the bill, there is noting wrong in talking about your desirecos u are a stakeholder in the business of raising your child[ren]with your hubby and both discussing all financial possibilities that will result therefrom before going for or against it.

The woman who KNOWS her husband knows his financial capabilities as well and need not be told neither asked! Man enough? in a dynamically changing world you want to define ''man enough'' in terms of meeting another's need 100%! All of these stakeholdership or absence of one happen because of unnecessary bravado by some men, men who know they can hardly meet all the demand of their homes but like a proud peacock refuse assistance. It doesn't make anyone more man because they provided all their family need financiallyas they could be failling in other little aspects of emotional disrespect and diluted self-esteem towards their better half.

Shared responsibility gives the woman a voice as she is a contributor in the venture. Her self-esteem is bettered as nothing is handed her her worth is valued by a reasonable husband! Especially if she's the type that doesn't llet it get to her head.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by agathamari(f): 2:03pm On Nov 12, 2009
spouces should have a joint account and pool thier money for ALL bills and exspences clothing, rent, food, drs, whatever.  the only reason to have seperate accounts is so your spouce doesnt know what you spend on your extramarital flings

1 Like

Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by ladygaga(f): 3:09pm On Nov 12, 2009
says me.

IN UR DREAMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS,
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Damoche10: 3:17pm On Nov 12, 2009
abi o. My money na my money, your money na our money! grin lipsrsealed
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by axeman85(m): 3:30pm On Nov 12, 2009
running a home traditionally its a mans responsibility to provide financially for the household needs while the wife/woman takes care of the household, eg, cleaning, dishes, laundry. but this is 2009 and nowadays sole income in the house is not enough to cover the bills of the house except you are one of the lucky men that earn 6figure income and prefer your wives to be full time housewives. which isnt adviceable beause to those women it means anytime they need something. eg, sanitary towel, roll on, perfume, bra and pant they will be asking the husband for money. and this was the case amongst some of our parents, which means when it comes to decision making in the house the woman doesnt have a say because she has no right to as its the husband that does everything. this i know because i know some families like that.  

its always best to an extent for a couple to share the bills and expenses together. even if there is need or no need. sometimes its best for a woman to just tell the husband not to give her money for food for that month as she wants to use her own money for that for that month to stock up the home with foodstuffs. thats what a Home shoud be like. A woman shouldnt wait until when there is trouble or need for her to contribute or help out her husband in the home before she does.

truly the woman is a helper and when the man is taking care of the important bills, such as rent, school fees, dstv, petrol, at least the woman should be able to buy the remaining little lttle things needed in the house and when the man is broke assist for that period because there is always a point in a mans life that he will be broke financially due to salary not paid yet or people oweing him for work done or business deals which paymnt has not been paid yet.

also when the man is at home on weekends or less busy and at home he should also help the woman out in the house cleaning and washing.personally when am in naija and my fiancee is still sleeping on a saturday morning i wake up and get the mop and mop the whole place and when she offers to help i tell her not to worry and go and do other things.

women shouldnt leave the whole financial responsibility of the household to the husband alone even if he request sometimes insists on contributing or helping out , and also men shouldnt leave the whole household chores to the wife alone also they should help when available and shouldnt have to wait for the wife to ask them.

sorry for the esay guys.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Fhemmmy: 3:42pm On Nov 12, 2009
Damoche10:

abi o. My money na my money, your money na our money! grin lipsrsealed

Not in marriage, dude.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Pharoh: 3:47pm On Nov 12, 2009
@axeman85

You have said it all about the responsibility issue and don't be sorry both party needs it.

Fhemmmy:

Not in marriage, dude.

He might not be thinking about the future or considering other negative possibilities.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Fhemmmy: 3:49pm On Nov 12, 2009
^^^ Yeah, it is a good thing for a responsible man to marry a responsible woman
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Pharoh: 3:52pm On Nov 12, 2009
^^ That's the truth and the ideal solution because i would not like to marry a woman expecting her to think like me only for her to have ideas like some posters above who are bringing up the issue of man enough and he is the head of the house.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 12, 2009
All these men shouting 50-50, would likely hesitate to take part in house chores, bath the kids or cook for you. Their friends would likely say 'where is the madam of the house'? Is it not the same naija scenario again? I don't see how you want to be dragging who pays the bills in the house, when in a typical Nigerian family most women work and at the same time shoulder all the housework. Working mothers still come back home to cater for the family. You think those market women stash their earnings for themselves? But you would hardly see the husbands lift a pin in the house? According to then, it is not their culture to cook when they have a wife. It's beyond him to cook, if at all he does, it's once in a blue moon.

All these talk about if the man loses his job does not hold water with me because the women I know will help their husbands in need, would rather go hungry than let their kids go without food.

If it must be a 50-50 thing, it should also translate into all aspects of the family.

P.S I'm not in support of the girl.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Fhemmmy: 4:02pm On Nov 12, 2009
stillwater:

All these men shouting 50-50, would likely hesitate to take part in house chores, bath the kids or cook for you. Their friends would likely say 'where is the madam of the house'? Is it not the same naija scenario again? I don't see how you want to be dragging who pays the bills in the house, when in a typical Nigerian family most women work and at the same time shoulders all the housework. Working mothers still come back home to cater for the family. You think those market women stash their earnings for themselves? But you would hardly see the husbands lift a pin in the house? According to then, it is not their culture to cook when they have a wife. It's beyond him to cook, if at all he does, it's once in a blue moon.

All these talk about if the man loses his job does not hold water with me because the women I know will help their husbands in need, would rather go hungry than let their kids go without food.

If it must be a 50-50 thing, it should also translate into all aspects of the family.

I dont blv in 50 - 50 at all.
Like i said earlier, if the woman is home take care of the kids, and the man has an income that can take care of everything, then, that is beautiful, however, i have a problem with the woman being home and watching soap opera while the husband is doing 2 or more jobs to keep up with the bills of the house.
For example, the woman could babysit other kids on the block to make extra money to help the husband, so that the husband can take care of the kids and be home too, and not that he is just a sperm donor and the kids hardly see him.
Also, there is nothing wrong or big deal about whoever gets home first do the cooking, or while the woman is cooking, the man is doing the dishes, or attending to the kids, it pisses me off, to see a man watching CNN with legs on the ottoman while the wife is running up and down to make sure the food is cooking and changing the diaper of the kids.
So the man can take care of the bills if he has the money, if he doesnt, let the woman help . . . . at the end of the day, make sure the bills are paid and everyone is happy.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Pharoh: 4:23pm On Nov 12, 2009
stillwater:

All these men shouting 50-50, would likely hesitate to take part in house chores, bath the kids or cook for you. Their friends would likely say 'where is the madam of the house'? Is it not the same naija scenario again? I don't see how you want to be dragging who pays the bills in the house, when in a typical Nigerian family most women work and at the same time shoulders all the housework. Working mothers still come back home to cater for the family. You think those market women stash their earnings for themselves? But you would hardly see the husbands lift a pin in the house? According to then, it is not their culture to cook when they have a wife. It's beyond him to cook, if at all he does, it's once in a blue moon.

Dear times are changing i don't think the new generation guys we have these days would want to use their wives as slaves but i know some still live under the our father and culture illusions. I am pissed off when as a bachelor and in your student days, men cook for themselves and do those domestic stuffs but suddenly stop it when they get married. 

I don't believe in 50-50 because it is never ideal to me,  both should work and find a suitable arrangement for paying the bills that satisfies both partners . The men should also help their wives when it comes to domestic duties and if he badly wants to watch arsenal vs ManU he should beg the wife to excuse him and make it up for her in some other way.

The ladies should also bring up their  male children to be responsible domestically like moi  smiley
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Fhemmmy: 4:39pm On Nov 12, 2009
Pharoh:

Dear times are changing i don't think the new generation guys we have these days would want to use their wives as slaves but i know some still live under the our father and culture illusions. I am pissed off when as a bachelor and in your student days, men cook for themselves and do those domestic stuffs but suddenly stop it when they get married. 

I don't believe in 50-50 because it is never ideal to me,  both should work and find a suitable arrangement for paying the bills that satisfies both partners . The men should also help their wives when it comes to domestic duties and if he badly wants to watch arsenal vs ManU he should beg the wife to excuse him and make it up for her in some other way.

[size=18pt]The ladies should also bring up their  male children to be responsible domestically like moi  smiley[/size]

I think the father has more roles to play in such areas, they have to be the one to tell the boys and not only tell them, but live by examples, if a son see the father washing the dishes while Mom was cooking, the boy will know it is not a big deal to help around in the kitchen.
When the boy grows up and see the pix of dad changing his diapers when he was little, he will wanna do same too.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by nethacker(m): 4:41pm On Nov 12, 2009
stillwater:

but the men make the babies grin grin
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Pharoh: 4:57pm On Nov 12, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I think the father has more roles to play in such areas, they have to be the one to tell the boys and not only tell them, but live by examples, if a son see the father washing the dishes while Mom was cooking, the boy will know it is not a big deal to help around in the kitchen.
When the boy grows up and see the pix of dad changing his diapers when he was little, he will wanna do same too.

You are very right because that was how we were brought up in my own household without any gender preference for any kind of duties. The guys just have to do more because we were stronger. smiley

The father should be a proponent and also show examples because we learn alot when growing up by observation. You know some men are always busy and not around to take of the kids like the ladies that's why i asked them to do such but your idea was really spot on.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Fhemmmy: 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2009
Pharoh:

You are very right because that was how we were brought up in my own household without any gender preference for any kind of duties. The guys just have to do more because we were stronger. smiley

The father should be a proponent and also show examples because we learn alot when growing up by observation. You know some men are always busy and not around to take of the kids like the ladies that's why i asked them to do such but your idea was really spot on.

I wish i was brought up like that, i was brought up to think that boys are better, that the man;s place is not in the kitchen, my dad wont even lemme take my plate to the kitchen nor take my food from there, i just have to come to the table, eat and move away, and i think that was so wrong, cos i never knew how to cook nothing till i started dating reliable women.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by adconline(m): 5:33pm On Nov 12, 2009
Are we reading responses from most women? This is their thinking. This is marriage 101 in Naija. Ever tried asking a girl to contribute to her wedding?
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 12, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I dont blv in 50 - 50 at all.
Like i said earlier, if the woman is home take care of the kids, and the man has an income that can take care of everything, then, that is beautiful, however, i have a problem with the woman being home and watching soap opera while the husband is doing 2 or more jobs to keep up with the bills of the house.
For example, the woman could babysit other kids on the block to make extra money to help the husband, so that the husband can take care of the kids and be home too, and not that he is just a sperm donor and the kids hardly see him.
Also, there is nothing wrong or big deal about whoever gets home first do the cooking, or while the woman is cooking, the man is doing the dishes, or attending to the kids, it pisses me off, to see a man watching CNN with legs on the ottoman while the wife is running up and down to make sure the food is cooking and changing the diaper of the kids.
So the man can take care of the bills if he has the money, if he doesnt, let the woman help . . . . at the end of the day, make sure the bills are paid and everyone is happy.

Pharoh:

I don't believe in 50-50 because it is never ideal to me, both should work and find a suitable arrangement for paying the bills that satisfies both partners . The men should also help their wives when it comes to domestic duties and if he badly wants to watch arsenal vs ManU he should beg the wife to excuse him and make it up for her in some other way.

The ladies should also bring up their male children to be responsible domestically like moi smiley

Is it bacause I mentioned the issue of housework like cleaning the baby's poo, you guys don't want to do the 50-50 thing again? grin grin Just joking grin. You would be surprised how many of the new generation guys still have this belief, that kitchen chores is beneath them. I agree though it's the way their mothers trained them.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by na2day2(m): 6:31pm On Nov 12, 2009
kayality:

THE STYLE NO GOOD OOOOOOOOOO PLEASE DONT TRY IT

@na2day?  50-50

please bros don't marry if u decide to be using 50-50 between u are your wife.

why not, aren't u women asking for equal opportunity? i am offering it, 50-50!

!amebo no1:

you should stop generalising

i will stop when u women stop generalizing or putting down men

chaircover:

Interesting how we all interpret the bible differently

I come from a family of hardworking professional women and my husband is still the head whether I put down £1 or £1 million.

In reality a lot of woman will be waiting a hell of a long time to find a man who can afford to 100% keep them to a decent level of comfort.

Most rich men are middle aged and they themselves started from somewhere with their wives chipping in where necessary and very few bachelors earn the kind of money you are looking for him to comfortably keep you 100%. . . . . and for the few young men who can afford to offer the lifestyle you are looking for have lots of women chasing them anyway and competition is fierce.

I’d rather marry an upwardly mobile, young man of integrity with prospects than a ready made Yahoozee boy or old baba.

nethacker:

I love u kiss kiss

SHATAAAP DIA! ! ! i saw her first! angry angry angry implication= i loved her first grin grin cool cool
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Pharoh: 6:44pm On Nov 12, 2009
stillwater:

Is it bacause I mentioned the issue of housework like cleaning the baby's poo, you guys don't want to do the 50-50 thing again? grin grin Just joking grin. You would be surprised how many of the new generation guys still have this belief, that kitchen chores is beneath them. I agree though it's the way their mothers trained them.

You know there are some routes guys don't want to think about when women mention these  domestic duties  grin grin. If you see any one try and talk to them to change and face reality or just send them to moi.

[size=1pt]You don't take prisoners? [/size] wink
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Fhemmmy: 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2009
stillwater:

hahahahaha, that is a funny one . . . . and i am still laffing.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by adconline(m): 7:53pm On Nov 12, 2009
Is it bacause I mentioned the issue of housework like cleaning the baby's poo, you guys don't want to do the 50-50 thing again?   Just joking . You would be surprised how many of the new generation guys still have this belief, that kitchen chores is beneath them. I agree though it's the way their mothers trained them.

just remember that before housework, a house rent must be paid for by the guy if its his 100% reponsibility to  pay for evrything.shelter comes b4 house chores. I believe that if some women agree to contribute as it's required then the man should have no obligation to say that its  not a man's job to cook.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Fhemmmy: 9:54pm On Nov 12, 2009
This thread is starting to be fun.
Now men are getting to understand how the ladies feels and same for the men.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by na2day2(m): 8:13am On Nov 13, 2009
stillwater:

which house work? we already do house work 50-50 and most nigerian girls we preach to u on something that is naturally their job to do, abeg make we hear word
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Vavavoom(m): 8:36am On Nov 13, 2009
Fhemmmy:

This thread is starting to be fun.
Now men are getting to understand how the ladies feels and same for the men.

Fhemmy, both parties have always known how the other felthusbands know that their wives need the kitchen support and will reward them for sharing in that responsibilty. Getting over the psychological barrier of the kitchen being a woman's domain really helps . The problem is doing it on a consistent basisperiods when one is not happy/stable emotionally can be challenging, a man who's just had a put down from his boss would need good reading by his wife as soon as he steps through the door, the same too, for a woman. So timing is critical here. If one has a wife that is not football crazy such a fellow needs to plan how his b4-match time hours should be used to ease off household chores so as not to be seen as not pitching in. Marriage in its entirety is for conflict resolution of the individuality that resides within each in the relationship. What one used to do when they were single apparently needs to take second seat and should  only surface when it wouldn't affect their partnerin this case help tidy the house b4 the match begins. The problem is some married men live an unplanned day-to-day lives, something they used to do in their individual lives and weren't rebuked!. If we must live happily we must plan as men and share our plan ahead of time with our wivessomething tells me faithfulness has a role in all of these smiley
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by oghuvbu: 12:14pm On Nov 13, 2009
ideally a man is suppose to be responsible for all the internal and external matters in the home therefor it is the duty of the man to take charge of all the expenses in the home. because he is the head of the house and also the man of the house .but par aversion the woman is working she can also assist the man but is not compulsory. but in other for the family to grow she can as well assist the man so that they can live happily ever after.
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Nov 13, 2009
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Vavavoom(m): 1:03pm On Nov 13, 2009
chaircover:

I suppose this also includes paying his wife’s brothers school fees, making sure that his mother-in-law has a new wrapper to wear to mama Joke’s 60th Birthday party, fixing the leak in his in-laws roof and of course not forgetting to buy MTN phone cards for those young ladies he gives lifts to on his way back from the office.

All in a days work as the oga of the house and the head of the home.

perhaps Oghuvbu should have put internal and external in quote to give some clarity about his/her view. Will be crazy to think otherwiseespecialy for this kain hard times
Re: Must The Husband Be 100% Responsible For The Family Bills? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Nov 13, 2009

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Changes You Noticed In Your Spouse After Marriage! / Why Do Men Think Women's Lives Cannot Go On Without Marriage? / How My Husband Turned Me To A Porn Addict

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.