Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? (20448 Views)

What Is Wrong With Feminism / My Argument Against Feminism / Personal Thoughts On Feminism As A Nigerian. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Koolking(m): 3:04pm On Dec 12, 2016
Ohibenemma:
But isn’t it laughable that women would want an equality that can hardly be sustained by their biological set-ups? What about those hormonal factors that men don’t experience? What happens to the physical protuberances and monthly visits? I have observed these and laughed even more.

But, aside the mirth, I have observed that against their claims, the feminists do not even desire an equal standing with men; what they actually want is for the men with which they are equal to accord them special privileges because they are women. What segregation could be greater than this? They want the man to do some of the cooking at home, yet they want him to open the car door for them. They want some reservations made for them in government, reservations they will enjoy not because of their abilities, but because they are women! They want to get into male dominated jobs, not because they are physically suited to such, but because they want some representation to hype their ego! I think these people are actually chauvinists in disguise.

Thought-provoking write up to the feminists. Well said my friend.

The level of double-standard by women who claimed equality with men is worrisome. They want everything skewed in their favour at the expense of men, not because they are naturally disposed to those things but because they are women and should be treated special. Why claim feminist when you are not ready to scratch and toil like every other man to get what you want? Men will also treat you like other men with no special privileges accorded you. Feminism is a ploy to deny responsibility. Feminism is just a cheap distraction in the corridor of gender arrangement.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Timbuktuo: 3:05pm On Dec 12, 2016
sweetcocoa:
You possibly can't be serious.

Most of our cultural practices is enough example and we damn well know, men are responsible for making such decisions.

What cultural practices do you speak of? Are you aware that women litter all our political parties in Nigeria? Why have none of them except the Taraba woman succeeded?
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AnusOdourInhaler: 3:06pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Ah! You are so tempting!!!! cheesy

But thou shall not tempt thee....get behind me Satan grin lipsrsealed embarassed
My lady, I'm a lover not a fighter, come to me, I'll make you feel like woman! Come to daddy...

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Timbuktuo: 3:07pm On Dec 12, 2016
Peachess:
One thing I hate about feminist is that they're unrealistic and bias. They claim to be same with mean but when they slap a man they expect him not to retaliate. If a man slaps a lady they'll say why will a man do that to a woman? If you claim to be the same with men I don't see any reason why feminists want special treatment.

One thing I'll love to say is that men and women are different. There are certain things females do better than males, some stuffs males do better than females and some things males and females can excel in if given equal chances(like academics, job opportunities, politics etc) The truth is when feminist want special treatment from the males only make us female look weak.

There is nothing in this life that a man can do that a woman does better than he. The only fields where women do better are fields where men are completely incapable, eg, pregnancy, menstraution, breastfeeding. Any other field and a man is superior.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by sweetcocoa(f): 3:08pm On Dec 12, 2016
jeff1607:

they only serve as medics and other support groups, come to the barracks and see how specially female soldiers,

early morning PT they are always behind and give reasons why they fall behind

during physical combat or sparring only veryfew female soldiers challenge other men but with a hand tied behind some both hands to push theirlimit.

I like theway feminist like defending themselves but please don't talk about how other females are treat instead talk about yours instead

ladies are their own worst enemies, since this is a faceless forum, check out d percentage of peeps they follow on their profile compare female to males. females are usually encouraged to go to the front lines but they prefer either being in the communication unit, medics, logistics etc
What is your pint exactly? I have never argued that men aren't physically stronger than women, the argument is that, if a woman is up to task, let her do the job.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
yes it is true but a lot women provide for their house hold men don't do that alone
I just hate it when women are called stupid ,fish brain or sluts or gold digger
that is not Nice stop it y'all we have female children are you going to call them stupid don't you have mothers, sisters,aunts or female cousins .

I blame it on lack of education and exposure, that is why some men berate women. Personally i respect women and assign them honour as the bible encourages. I'd get up and give mt seat to a woman. I ll pay for a date, i ll help her do heavy lifting because she is a WOMAN. but the moment a woman starts to claim equality, she cannot enjoy that respect anymore.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AnusOdourInhaler: 3:09pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
So how will you be able to handle me sir? smiley embarassed
First of all, I'll we welcome you with open arms, shower kises on ya, then entertain you with drinks, make you sign your consent, then..... Say 'yeah', I'll continue
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by GodsLastBorn: 3:12pm On Dec 12, 2016
AngelsAndStars:
that's why you cannot be equal dear.

leave that to the strong. the men.
Don't mind the little one, band wagon fever of feminism is contagious to the feeble minds.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by jeff1607(m): 3:12pm On Dec 12, 2016
sweetcocoa:
What is your pint exactly? I have never argued that men aren't physically stronger than women, the argument is that, if a woman is up to task, let her do the job.

am not talking about strength here, all am sayin is most women not all ooo don't ve the zeal to push or go that extra mile to prove themselves all we hear is " don't you know am a woman "
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by joywendy(f): 3:14pm On Dec 12, 2016
so many silly arguments going on here and there.

The concept of feminism is a concept that many Nigerians refuse to understand. Even some ladies and some guys who call themselves feminist don't understand the term.

The reason I don't associate with such term as people tend to read feminism as some sort of men hating let the women rule the world kinda shit.

That's not the concept behind it. Equalist is a better term to describe the concept behind feminism. If you don't understand something you ask.

The op is right in some regards, you fight for equality then be ready for the consequences of your responsibilities.

Fairness in all areas. We talk about female child education what about the male child education? we talk of domestic violence against women what about against men as well? we talk about rape on women what about on men?

Some of the Nigerian/African feminist keep making it seem like women are the "only" victims. In all honesty we are all victims of the terrible norms,culture of the society.

If you want fairness in all areas of life then we need to come together as one, break the societal norms of gender roles and gender stereotypes. Break the male dominant culture in most of our traditions.

Raise the two genders the same way. Let the boys and girls learn how to do domestic work and be financially independent.

This is the true concept behind feminism but like I said the term as being bastardised and equalist or humanist would be a better and acceptable term to use.

#myonedollar

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Timbuktuo: 3:15pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Every female have different versions of feminism....so I have my own grin.....you men have to select which one is best cheesy tongue

So, we have to vet all the 3billion plus women on the planet? You people better speak with one voice if you hope to be taken seriously? The onus is upon you to articulate your needs objectively. We don't have to go out of our way to make sense of feminist mumbo jumbo.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by couliss: 3:17pm On Dec 12, 2016
hopefully a man reads what have been writing since and have a rethink because if this is the men our society has if this is the men our country is breeding I weep for us women I weep for us women
most men can give 100 recharge card to girls but can't browse on the internet what feminism is what it entails how does it affect the society.
what are the pros and con's of it
most men think a women a woman should open the car door by herself I can open the door by my self I have got hands most men say women should provide for the home that it should be 50/50 most women provide for their families without the man supporting them
you all men want to say it was your father that supported you throughout your education mama did not have a hand in it if she supported you 50 % more than your father she is a feminist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by kazyhm(m): 3:17pm On Dec 12, 2016
Peachess:
One thing I hate about feminist is that they're unrealistic and bias. They claim to be same with mean but when they slap a man they expect him not to retaliate. If a man slaps a lady they'll say why will a man do that to a woman? If you claim to be the same with men I don't see any reason why feminists want special treatment.

One thing I'll love to say is that men and women are different. There are certain things females do better than males, some stuffs males do better than females and some things males and females can excel in if given equal chances(like academics, job opportunities, politics etc) The truth is when feminist want special treatment from the males only make us female look weak.

i'm feeling like buying you a very cold origin every time you want it

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 3:17pm On Dec 12, 2016
joywendy:

The concept of feminism is a concept that many Nigerians refuse to understand. Even some ladies and some guys who call themselves feminist don't understand the term.

The reason I don't associate with such term as people tend to read feminism as some sort of men hating let the women rule the world kinda shit.

That's not the concept behind behind it. Equalist is a better term to describe the concept behind feminism. If you don't understand something you ask.

The op is right in some regards, you fight for equality then be ready for the consequences of your responsibilities.

Fairness in all areas. We talk about female child education what about the male child education? we talk of domestic violence against women what about against men as well? we talk about rape on women what about on men?

Some of the Nigerian/African feminism keep making it seem like women are the "only" victims. In all honesty we are all victims of the terrible norms,culture of the society.

If you want fairness in all areas of life then we need to come together as one, break the societal norms of gender roles and gender stereotypes. Break the male dominant culture in most of our traditions.

Raise the two genders the same way. Let the boys and girls learn how to do domestic work and be financially independent.

This is the true concept behind feminism but like I said the term as being bastardised and equalist or humanist would be a better and acceptable term to use.

#myonedollar
I'll marry you next November. you rock.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by GodsLastBorn: 3:20pm On Dec 12, 2016
sweetcocoa:
talking about biological set up and what not, clearly shows you don't even understand the concept of feminism.

A man is a man and a woman is a woman and they are both human. What feminism advocates is that men should not be treated as a superior human than the women.

How hard can that be to understand? Mschew.
Superior? what's the meaning? higher in quality? higher in rank? above? better? OK. A pentium 3 computer system of 512mb ram and 20 gig hard disk and a Corei7 system with 6gig ram and 2 terabyte hard disk are both systems but one is higher band specification and can run task faster and better than the other right? so why would you want to rate both as the same in quality? one thing in life is NOTHING IS EQUAL! Men are not equal women are not equal so how can you expect men and women to be equal? women have their advantages and men do too but generally God created men to be better and Nigerian understanding of what feminism is ( chauvinism) won't make a dent on it. Women are wonderful and can do amazing things that men can't do and men can do mind blowing things that women can't do. how many female inventors do we have in the list of inventors? help me out pls, yet men are equal to females.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Timbuktuo: 3:20pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
feminism is campaigning against rape,domestic violence and sexual harassment
feminism is campaigning for the girl child against female circumcision
feminism is against the Rape culture where
Victims are often disbelieved
Victims often do not report their rapes
Victims are often treated poorly by the criminal justice system
Rapists often go unpunished
Punishments for rape are often light compared to other crimes

You do not need feminism for all this. Feminism started in the sixties. Are you saying there were no laws against these crimes before the sixties? This is sophistry.
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 3:23pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
hopefully a man reads what have been writing since and have a rethink because if this is the men our society has if this is the men our country is breeding I weep for us women I weep for us women
most men can give 100 recharge card to girls but can't browse on the internet what feminism is what it entails how does it affect the society.
most men think a women a woman should open the car door by herself I can open the door by my self I have got hands most men say women should provide for the home that it should be 50/50 most women provide for their families without the man supporting them
you all men want to say it was your father that supported you throughout your education mama did not have a hand in it if she supported you 50 % more than your father she is a feminist
as far as we know feminism means equal right. but you know? equality will hardly be attained, two can't lead. one will have to the leader. that's for family structure.

in societal structure we men are saying if you want feminism you must want it in every aspect not just selecting that's not acceptable.

meanwhile, cut us some slack, our fore fathers were anti women right yeah we know to snap out of it takes time. don't push it too hard.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Larrylarex(m): 3:26pm On Dec 12, 2016
Double standard if you ask me. You can't eat your cake and have it. Kolewerk!
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by GodsLastBorn: 3:26pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Did I say anything about being equal? smiley
I know that for a fact dear! tongue

Of course...I will leave it to the men, men take over! grin
I will just be observing in 3D cool
hahahahahaa you didn't say anything about being equal? so what were you saying?
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Timbuktuo: 3:27pm On Dec 12, 2016
joywendy:

That's not the concept behind behind it. Equalist is a better term to describe the concept behind feminism. If you don't understand something you ask.

Some of the Nigerian/African feminism keep making it seem like women are the "only" victims. In all honesty we are all victims of the terrible norms,culture of the society.

#myonedollar

Both genders should not be raised the same because they are not the same. They have generally different aspirations and motivations, and as a consequence you cannot raise the the same.
How many women do you know who primarily look for a husband who can cook and clean ober one who can provide and protect? How many men do you know who look for a woman who can provide and protect he and his children over a woman who can care and nurture his offspring. Genders are not the same. It is the height of deceit and tragedy to treat them the same.

Gender norms and stereotypes cannot be broken because men are attracted to feminine women and women are attracted to masculine men in the general sense. Anything different is an anomaly.

7 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by GodsLastBorn: 3:30pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:
Feminism is the belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.
Feminist activism is the struggle for that equality.
Feminist political activists campaign in areas such as reproductive rights, domestic violence, fairness, social justice, and workplace issues such as family medical leave, equal pay, and sexual harassment and discrimination.
That is feminism how can anyone not support FEMINISM.

Who is preventing them from achieving these things you mentioned?

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by HumanistMike(m): 3:32pm On Dec 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

Both genders should not be raised the same because they are not the same. They have generally different aspirations and motivations, and as a consequence you cannot raise the the same.
How many women do you know who primarily look for a husband who can cook and clean ober one who can provide and protect? How many men do you know who look for a woman who can provide and protect he and his children over a woman who can care and nurture his offspring. Genders are not the same. It is the height of deceit and tragedy to treat them the same.

Gender norms and stereotypes cannot be broken because men are attracted to feminine women and women are attracted to masculine men in the general sense. Anything different is an anomaly.

Nice argument
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Timbuktuo: 3:33pm On Dec 12, 2016
couliss:

The reason you should weep for women is because they have lost sight of what it means to be a woman and relationships are dying because men have found out they are dating and marrying men in women's bodies.

The problem with you women is that you have perfected the art of professional victimhood. Not only men provided for their homes, and not only women did chores in their homes. I grew up with a solidly masculine father and a feminine mother, and my father did the laundry in our home 95% of the time. Yet, most ediots wills say our mothers were slaves. Slaves to who? My mum generally did all the other chores, and I remember my dad cook occasionally. Yet, I knew who to meet for what issues I had because everyone knew their duties and responsibilities.

Anybody with a brain who has gone on the internet to ascertain what feminism means knows that it is a scam to try to paint women as victims and men as oppressors. You can only sell your victimhood status to uninformed people. Ordinary observation will reveal feminism as a blatant ideology for female welfare only.

7 Likes

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by joywendy(f): 3:41pm On Dec 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

if you keep on the concept of training both genders differently then how do we expect real change in the process?

Women and men have only one thing that differentiates them. That's their reproductive organs. That one is divine and not anyone's doing. A child learn what ever you teach them and condition them to believe.

if both genders were raised exactly the same way with no bias and what not. we wont have this issue we are discussing and that's the honest truth. If most guys were taught how to do domestic work and most ladies were taught to be financially independent. No one will be complaining that women are money mongers and guys are dirty and don't know anything about domestic work. If there was a balance then there wouldn't be any differences as you see today.

Both Genders can have the same aspiration and dreams. Nothing wrong with a woman who wants to be a CEO of a company or a man just simply wants to be a make up artist.

It's what they have grown up too and believe that makes them see thing like that as anormly

Who created the masculine and feminine concept? is it not the same society? That's generalisation by the way....
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by jomoh: 3:43pm On Dec 12, 2016
ItsQuinn:
I'm a proud feminist grin tongue cool

[/b]I can do whatever I want, whenever I want!
[/b] cool tongue

ItsQuinn:
That is why I would advice ladies to never ask a guy out....EVER! undecided tongue

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory?

Alfa soro ojo ku, oni olorun Jeri ohun.

Just exactly what the op is talking about
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Zeze06(m): 3:50pm On Dec 12, 2016
Been reading through your comments from front page smiley as much as I disagree with your points, I really admire the courtesy and humility in your response, you are very cultured. . .

couliss:
I am not living a sad life I am living the truth hopefully a man reads what have been writing since and have a rethink because if this is the men our society has I weep for us women I weep
most men can give 100 recharge card but can't browse on the internet what feminism is what it entails how does it affect the society
we are not fighting with you why do you all hate women so much we done nothing to you it is the same God who created you that created me the only problem you have with me is I AM A feminist and I want equality with you as a man that is the only problem you have with me
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Peachess(f): 3:51pm On Dec 12, 2016
kazyhm:

i'm feeling like buying you a very cold origin every time you want it
Why origin na? I want something else joor, or you want me to have potbelly? lol
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by AngelsAndStars(m): 3:53pm On Dec 12, 2016
joywendy:

if you keep on the concept of training both genders differently then how do we expect real change in the process?

Women and men have only one thing that differentiates them. That's their reproductive organs. That one is divine and not anyone's doing. A child learn what ever you teach them and condition them to believe.

if both genders were raised exactly the same way with no bias and what not. we wont have this issue we are discussing and that's the honest truth. If most guys were taught how to do domestic work and most ladies were taught to be financially independent. No one will be complaining that women are money mongers and guys are dirty and don't know anything about domestic work. If there was a balance then there wouldn't be any differences as you see today.

Both Genders can have the same aspiration and dreams. Nothing wrong with a woman who wants to be a CEO of a company or a man just simply wants to be a make up artist.

It's what they have grown up too and believe that makes them see thing like that as anormly

Who created the masculine and feminine concept? is it not the same society? That's generalisation by the way....

I don't think it's wise to raise male and female same way. there will be too much whining. there will be too much emotions running on both ends. seriously you do not want that.

opposite reaction is the order of life, look at the western society of now. take America for example. where even boys now commit suicide because of emotional issues. like seriously.

it's better to have us men like this to check mate the female.

last month a female dumped my ass that she's not interested, I liked her but I didn't even blink. it hurt me a little but I didn't even tell anyone about it. I moved on. if it were to be the other way round it'll be a different story entirely.

raising all humans same way is just too risky. emotions are bad and it's good the men don't have it much because of we did it'll be disastrous trust me.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 12, 2016
I'm saying I can do whatever I want, whenever I want with no restrictions smiley

I as a female should be allowed to make choices with no restrictions, socially, economically and personally.
As long as the requirements are met. smiley
GodsLastBorn:
hahahahahaa you didn't say anything about being equal? so what were you saying?
Re: Feminism: Operationally Contradictory? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 12, 2016
Like I care

I can still do whatever I want, whenever I want. With or without feminism grin tongue
Timbuktuo:

So, we have to vet all the 3billion plus women on the planet? You people better speak with one voice if you hope to be taken seriously? The onus is upon you to articulate your needs objectively. We don't have to go out of our way to make sense of feminist mumbo jumbo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Educate Girls, Stop Building Mosques, Sanusi Tells Northerners / Edo Festival 2017 Live (photos) / Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.