Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

Why Do We Marry? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do We Marry? (12246 Views)

Poll: Do we marry to make other happy or to be happy

Make me happy: 41% (21 votes)
Make mate happy: 19% (10 votes)
For the fun of it: 7% (4 votes)
To make my parents happy: 13% (7 votes)
Not sure: 17% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do We Marry? / .... / 8 Common Ways We Marry The Wrong Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Marry? by tanimz(f): 5:54pm On Nov 25, 2009
michelin89:

But people who get married just to be happy are unlikely to take even the flimsiest of disappointments lightly. I see them as being weak willed.

"happiness" is not the only factor considered when getting married. If they truly are happy and are in love with each other they would not take the 'flimsiest of disappointments lightly' cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 8:54pm On Nov 25, 2009
Marrying to be happy is a little kinda funny, cos you are still be dating or love someone and be happy, u dont need some paper to tell you, now u can be happy, do u?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Sissy3(f): 12:54am On Nov 26, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Like i said, that will means that people are marrying not cos they wanna but cos
1. They wanna make God happy
2. They wanna make our society not to frown at them

So where do the people marrying stands, where is their own happiness?

no. it means people are marrying coz they want to. its because of those reasons they marry, something you cant achieve with dating. and there will be no greater happiness in this life than making God happy. the blessings of it you cant count. so, that alone is an absolute good enough reason for who choose it. remember also that marriage for believers is the only legal way to have sex,not everyone fancies out of wedlock kids and premarital sex. God doesnt, so does many people and cultures. even the bible says that those who cant resist the temptations of the fresh, should go and marry. marriage is ordained by God, and if a person wants to enjoy the benefits of it, dating isn't a choice.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 4:54pm On Nov 26, 2009
~Sissy~:

no. it means people are marrying coz they want to. its because of those reasons they marry, something you cant achieve with dating. and there will be no greater happiness in this life than making God happy. the blessings of it you cant count. so, that alone is an absolute good enough reason for who choose it. remember also that marriage for believers is the only legal way to have sex,not everyone fancies out of wedlock kids and premarital sex. God doesnt, so does many people and cultures. even the bible says that those who cant resist the temptations of the fresh, should go and marry. marriage is ordained by God, and if a person wants to enjoy the benefits of it, dating isn't a choice.

Good one there.
However, Let us assume that God give us the chance to just have fun . . . .how many will marry
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Sissy3(f): 2:52am On Nov 27, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Good one there.
However, Let us assume that God give us the chance to just have fun . . . .how many will marry

well, you have to realize that many cultures/society practices are normally taken from the bible, so if God said "ye go forth and have fun", i bet you, many wouldnt actually consider the marriage aspect because then the society wouldnt put much emphasis on the whole marriage thing.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 7:57pm On Nov 27, 2009
I once asked some people in the church that if they have a chance to marry 2 wives, would they, most jumped and say yes, so i think if the bible aspect can change, most of the reason why people marry will thrown out the window.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Nov 27, 2009
I don't even know. Maybe for companionship and to make your parents happy. undecided undecided
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Sissy3(f): 11:58pm On Nov 27, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I once asked some people in the church that if they have a chance to marry 2 wives, would they, most jumped and say yes, so i think if the bible aspect can change, most of the reason why people marry will thrown out the window.

yes thats why i say, if the bible/God says otherwise on the whole marriage thing many people/culture/society will also follow suite
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 2:30am On Nov 28, 2009
stillwater:

I don't even know. Maybe for companionship and to make your parents happy. undecided undecided
So where do you as the bride fits in?
~Sissy~:

yes thats why i say, if the bible/God says otherwise on the whole marriage thing many people/culture/society will also follow suite

Then, that means that we are really not marrying then for the right reasons
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 3:58am On Nov 28, 2009
Fhemmmy:

So where do you as the bride fits in?

Companionship? undecided
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 4:21pm On Nov 28, 2009
stillwater:

Companionship? undecided

That is possible without the "i do" wont u say?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Sissy3(f): 2:19am On Nov 29, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Then, that means that we are really not marrying then for the right reasons

for what right reason(s) can we possibly be marrying for then other than the ones listed in this thread?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 6:26am On Nov 29, 2009
I have no idea and that is why i am asking, cos most of the reason listed above are just not good enuf, to me oh
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 30, 2009
Fhemmmy:

That is possible without the "i do" wont u say?

In what way?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 6:16pm On Nov 30, 2009
you dont have to be married to have companionship with someone . . . . .
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 3:12am On Dec 06, 2009
People ae marrying and yet not sure why thare marrying.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 4:51am On Dec 06, 2009
Fhemmmy:

People ae marrying and yet not sure why thare marrying.

Is more of a programmed thing Fhemmy. Go to school, graduate, get a job, settle down, have children get old and die. Many people are not really asking the question why?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 5:19am On Dec 06, 2009
i think we have got to the level where we need to ask why and not just do cos we are programmed to.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by donjon: 12:17pm On Dec 06, 2009
I dont know!
But, most of guys in my area are not married but they are fathers, & they are comfortable having their baby mamas @ a distance & taking care of them while having affairs all over the place!

4me, i dont think i will get married, it sounds constricting 4 now!
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 3:45pm On Dec 06, 2009
donjon:

I dont know!
But, most of guys in my area are not married but they are fathers, & they are comfortable having their baby mamas @ a distance & taking care of them while having affairs all over the place!

4me, i dont think i will get married, it sounds constricting 4 now!

I think u could think about it, and find a reason to marry.
Most men seems to marry cos the women were on their neck, and cos they wanna be seen as a good man.
Many people are now watching the wedding Tape on a rewind, wanna see themselves taking off the ring and driving back home, before the i do
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Oma1414: 3:54pm On Dec 06, 2009
I think getting children outside marriage is an act of irresponsibility and may create disunited family. Imagine children who came from broken homes, the feeling of love and togetherness is not there. Beside, according to christian faith, its bad. An unmarried man n woman staying together are most likely going to fornicate. which is obviously a sin. Its good to be married, i for one am not but am planning to do so. Just get the right one and u will enjoy it.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 11:30pm On Dec 06, 2009
Oma1414:

I think getting children outside marriage is an act of irresponsibility and may create disunited family. Imagine children who came from broken homes, the feeling of love and togetherness is not there. Beside, according to christian faith, its bad. An unmarried man n woman staying together are most likely going to fornicate. which is obviously a sin. Its good to be married, i for one am not but am planning to do so. Just get the right one and u will enjoy it.

There is nothing irresponsible in having children outside marriage if you are able to cater for them. I think there are lot more irresponsible fathers who though are married but are not catering for thier children

I know lots of people who grew up from a broken home and are doing so well. So that is not enough excuse to marry.

Marrying because it is a sin to sleep together unmarried, has to do with your faith and believe. Not everybody is a chirsitian or muslim you know. And it also mean the reason why you are getting married is because God does not permit you to have sex outside marriage.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 5:15am On Dec 07, 2009
Oma1414:

Defined by who?
So it is ok to get kids within marriage and beat your wife while the kids hold her legs down for you?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by ijawgirl: 8:06pm On Dec 07, 2009
well, I think marriage is overrated

I am going to get married  for a few reasons

1. Financial security-two incomes coming into the house
2.procreation-I will love to have kids one day
3. and yea in Nigeria, a woman has to be married to be respected in society(not always the case)
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 8:19pm On Dec 07, 2009
ijaw_girl:

well, I think marriage is overrated

I am going to get married for a few reasons

1. Financial security-two incomes coming into the house
2.procreation-I will love to have kids one day
3. and yea in Nigeria, you have to be married to be respected in society(not always the case)

You could have Financial security while you are the man lives together and put money together, so not only marriage can give that.
You could be a mother while not married to the man, so big deal.
You could gain respect with your money and respect to others.
So why do we marry?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by ubiaa5(f): 9:41pm On Dec 07, 2009
fhemmy stop asking questions,marry or dont.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 10:00pm On Dec 07, 2009
ubiaa5:

fhemmy stop asking questions,marry or dont.

hahahahahahaha.
Why shd i stop, when i wanna know why we marry.
Tell me why, biko
Re: Why Do We Marry? by ubiaa5(f): 11:06pm On Dec 07, 2009
Fhemmmy:

hahahahahahaha.
Why shd i stop, when i wanna know why we marry.
Tell me why, biko
i got married becoc i was in love and couldnt imagine life witout my hubby and istill feel dat way 8yrs after.one more question fhemmy n i will give u an e-knock. grin
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 11:18pm On Dec 07, 2009
ubiaa5:

i got married becoc i was in love and couldnt imagine life witout my hubby and istill feel dat way 8yrs after.one more question fhemmy n i will give u an e-knock. grin

Since fhemmy is running away from the e-knock, may i ask; is it not possible for you to love & stay with your hubby till the love do you part without getting married?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by ubiaa5(f): 12:21am On Dec 08, 2009
OAM4J:

Since fhemmy is running away from the e-knock, may i ask; is it not possible for you to love & stay with your hubby till the love do you part without getting married?
No u have to take it further n make that commitment to cement the union n make things official.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 12:58am On Dec 08, 2009
ubiaa5:

How many years were you dated for?
Compare when you were dating to after wedding and tell us which is better and i beg u, be honest.
You could still be together and not necessarily say the "i do " thing.
So he could still be your best friend and all that without some papers telling you what is best and not.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 12:59am On Dec 08, 2009
OAM4J:

Great question, i was away from my computer, so i m back now, and she is gone and cant give the e-knock

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Are Women In Nigeria Supposed To Expect And Accept Cheating Husbands? / End of Part 1 / "My Husband Does Not Last Long In Bed And Now I'm Sleeping With My Ex"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.