Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Why Do We Marry? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do We Marry? (12241 Views)

Poll: Do we marry to make other happy or to be happy

Make me happy: 41% (21 votes)
Make mate happy: 19% (10 votes)
For the fun of it: 7% (4 votes)
To make my parents happy: 13% (7 votes)
Not sure: 17% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do We Marry? / .... / 8 Common Ways We Marry The Wrong Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 11:12pm On Dec 10, 2009
Fhemmmy:

At least she is being honest, that she is marrying just to get her going going on.

Agreed. Just that she made the SEX thing look like its only for having children.

I will get married for SEX if I dont believe in SEX before/outside marriage. SEX is good you know, hey! am suppose to still be a virgin o lol grin
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 11:15pm On Dec 10, 2009
OAM4J:

Agreed. Just that she made the SEX thing look like its only for having children.

I will get married for SEX if I dont believe in SEX before/outside marriage. SEX is good you know, hey! am suppose to still be a virgin o lol grin

Yes oh, sex is ought to be be for making babies and that is all.
I beg no spoil me oh, i am a virgin.
At least a born again virgin
Re: Why Do We Marry? by slimes(m): 11:34pm On Dec 10, 2009
A good Marriage makes life easier to bear and the weight of problems is borne by the best of friends-couple.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 11:39pm On Dec 10, 2009
slimes:

A good Marriage makes life easier to bear and the weight of problems is borne by the best of friends-couple.

Agreed. The question we have been asking is why cant these best of friends remain just best of friends? Must they say 'I do'
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Dec 10, 2009
We believe when we legitimate it before everyone, then we are free to do what we like. tongue

It's just a crave for others approval.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 11:54pm On Dec 10, 2009
michelin89:

We believe when we legitimate it before everyone, then we are free to do what we like. tongue

It's just a crave for others approval.

Why do you need others approval? For what?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Dec 10, 2009
I am not speaking for myself.

As I have already said, I want it because of the power it gives.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 12:06am On Dec 11, 2009
michelin89:

I am not speaking for myself.

As I have already said, I want it because of the power it gives.

Please I only want to be your b/f. wink

I dont want to marry. In fact you have scared the he.ll out of me, cheesy cos if I marry you you will use the power against me. grin

But then, if you will sign prenup with me, agree to one month marital holiday in a year and 1 year holiday every seven years. Then I will say 'I do' grin What about that? grin
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 12:18am On Dec 11, 2009
The only prenup I want is this: my money is mine, your money is yours and in case of divorce, we'll leave as we came.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 12:21am On Dec 11, 2009
Fine!!! and the holiday?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 11, 2009
No please. I don't want to be forced to spend an entire month with you on holiday every year, after I have spent 11 months wondering what came over me when I said I do.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 12:26am On Dec 11, 2009
You misunderstood the holiday. The one month holiday and the 1 year sabbatical will be spent separately. We will spend them as if we are single.

The purpose of the holiday is to take away the stress of marriage off you, free to be single a month in a year and a year in 7 yrs.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 12:29am On Dec 11, 2009
Ok! We can flirt but no cheating. And if you must cheat, make sure the woman is slim and fine . That way I'll just kill you for cheating without the acid bath for doing it with an ugly fat ass. cool
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 12:33am On Dec 11, 2009
Nooo, we must not know or bother to find out whatever happens during the holiday. remember we will be free and single again - whatever happens will not be cheating. If a girl should ask me if single or maried during the holiday, my answer will be single cheesy cool
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 12:36am On Dec 11, 2009
OK. I'll bath you in acid, kill you and cut you into pieces for lying that you are single.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 12:40am On Dec 11, 2009
but I will not be lying 'technically' cos I will be technically single again.

This will guarantee the marriage lasting forever. Instead of looking forward to divorce, we will be looking forward to the holiday. Thanking my stars you will soon be off my back for a while. wink and I will be able to do whatever I think am missing marrying you. cool

Please stop this acid scare. If you must kill me, kill me doing me non stop cheesy
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 12:44am On Dec 11, 2009
Ahahahahah! Jokes apart, I believe it's left to the couple to decide. I mean here it's either we are too idealistic or too relativistic. Each one chooses what they want.

As far as I am concerned, I don't see marriage as something fun or exciting. It's just one of those things that happen. After the wedding, you are back to your everyday life, only that now from I you have become a WE.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by mamagee3(f): 12:44am On Dec 11, 2009
Is this thread still alive? shocked shocked
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 12:51am On Dec 11, 2009
michelin89:

Ahahahahah! Jokes apart, I believe it's left to the couple to decide. I mean here it's either we are too idealistic or too relativistic. Each one chooses what they want.

As far as I am concerned, I don't see marriage as something fun or exciting. It's just one of those things that happen. After the wedding, you are back to your everyday life, only that now from I you have become a WE.

Wish it's dat easy.

Am not a player, just feel marriage might be a bondage, once you get in, you start looking for the way out. When i hear of all these divorce cases, the question I ask is, who asked them to get married in the 1st place? I just want to live ever happily with my g/f till love do us part. thats all. BUT virtually all ladies want marriage.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 12:54am On Dec 11, 2009
OAM4J:

Wish it's dat easy.

Am not a player, just feel marriage might be a bondage, once you get in, you start looking for the way out. When i hear of all these divorce cases, the question I ask is, who asked them to get married in the 1st place? I just want to live ever happily with my g/f till love do us part. thats all.

I never said your everyday life was that easy. I am just saying it is not something sensational that changes your world all of a sudden since most people think that the moment you get married, there is a revolution in your life.

It's just one of the many reforms that take place.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 1:00am On Dec 11, 2009
But Honestly, must we go through marriage institution? must we necessarily pass through this particular reform? Why cant we just live happily without signing any legal paper?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 1:03am On Dec 11, 2009
We could but sometimes we things are easier by conforming to social norms. No one stops us from living according to our rules, but can we face the challenges?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 1:06am On Dec 11, 2009
Think it is for us to determine and not for them to choose for us or do it to please them. Its about us not about them.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 1:09am On Dec 11, 2009
Life is not always about choices. At a point we must follow the flow.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by OAM4J: 1:12am On Dec 11, 2009
Even when i don't like or feel comfortable with the flow?

I think we follow the flow most of the time cos we are not sure of what we really want.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by SeanT21(f): 2:14pm On Dec 11, 2009
OAM4J:

Sorry, not trying to digress, Are you saying the reason why you will have s.ex is because you want children? or you also want s.ex for its pleasure?

Wouldn't have mind if your response has been. 'I want to have sex and I do not believe in SEX before/outside marriage'

That made sense.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 4:53pm On Dec 11, 2009
michelin89:

Life is not always about choices. At a point we must follow the flow.

Even if the flow doesnt make any sense?
OAM4J:

Even when i don't like or feel comfortable with the flow?

I think we follow the flow most of the time cos we are not sure of what we really want.

I love that response.
michelin89:

We could but sometimes we things are easier by conforming to social norms. No one stops us from living according to our rules, but can we face the challenges?

That is part of being matured, to be able to make decisions and stand by it.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 11, 2009
I have seen matured people bowing down to the system.

It's not about maturity, but about being courageous.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 9:14pm On Dec 11, 2009
michelin89:

I have seen matured people bowing down to the system.

It's not about maturity, but about being courageous.

When i use the word mature, i am not talking about a man that fell on a sheep and all of a sudden found some hair on his chin, i am talking of someoone that know what he wants and will put his feet down, a man or woman that is not afraid to say his mind and damn the consequence . . . not some boyz that mama will say something and they start shaking.
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 11, 2009
In Nigeria maturity is accepting that the system is right. Or aren't we talking about Naija any longer?

This is not my opinion, I am just being objective. I really don't give a damn!
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Fhemmmy: 9:58pm On Dec 11, 2009
U dont give a damn and yet you might marry all cos it is a norm or cos u see it as a phase cos that is what society wanted from you and you saying you dont give a damn?
Re: Why Do We Marry? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 11, 2009
I said I don't give a damn about social norms. In fact I didn't even vote in your poll because you forgot to add my reason: power!

I want total control. First I lift him up then I throw him hard to the ground. Yeahhhhhhh!!! grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Are Women In Nigeria Supposed To Expect And Accept Cheating Husbands? / A Wife's Greatest Weapon. / Apologies To My Love. A Fellow Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.