Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies (2742 Views)

Solomon Dalung Wears Super Eagles Jersey To Today's FEC Meeting (Photos) / Sokoto: N2.7 Billion Expended On Zakkat, 172 Orphaned Pupils Get Bicycles / Obasanjo: Why I Wanted To Slap My Teacher On My First Day In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by nairalandfreak(m): 4:25pm On Dec 23, 2016
[img]https://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Solomon-Dalung.jpg[/img]
Solomon Dalung, Nigeria’s Minister for Youths and Sports Development, has explained that no human is above mistake hence, the error he made by saying spended when he actually meant to say ‘expended’.

While Nigerians were still grappling with his confession that his ministry didn’t make provisions for the Super Falcons simply because he hadn’t thought they could win, his latest gaffe has to do with grammatical blunder — the sort that could make his child in the Junior Secondary School wonder who is correct between daddy and his teacher!

In a video which was posted by Channels Television some days ago, the sports minister in a desperate effort to deny corruption allegations brought against his ministry, said:

“The funds spended were properly spended because we got them from intervention funds from Mr. President.”

A grammatical slip which set the internet on fire.e it lightly condemned the minister for lack of competence, while others described the error as ‘shameful’.
[img]https://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Solomon-Dalung.jpg[/img]
Responding to the harsh criticism, Solomon Dalung took to his Facebook foundation page to thank his critics, insisting that no one is above mistakes.
“Expended was the word intended. Flip-flops are part of human nature, anyone can, anyone does and that’s what reminds us even deeper of our humanness. Thank you for the observations.”

It is actually a well-known fact that we all are subject to making a slip of the tongue but when one person falls victim of grammatical errors too often then…. This is not the first time the minister had been under fire for such error.

Recall that in August, while trying to defend coach Samson Siasia and the Dream Team VI’s predicament ahead of the Olympics, Dalung mistakenly referred to Nigeria as ‘United States of Nigeria’. He had said:

“Our U-23 team are suffering in the United States of Nigeria.”

SOURCE: https://www./gist/3668-i-wanted-to-say-expended-not-spended-dalung-clarifies-i-wanted-to-say-expended-not-spended-dalung-clarifies.html
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by rayblast(m): 4:27pm On Dec 23, 2016
What r u high on Dalung?

1 Like

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by zomoears(m): 4:28pm On Dec 23, 2016
What
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Libo45: 4:29pm On Dec 23, 2016
No be only expended, na espended.
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Afam4eva(m): 4:30pm On Dec 23, 2016
No wahala. The deed has been done already. it's called a grammatical blunder. It happens to most of us. We were just surprised that blunders could come from people in Buhari's Government cos we were told ya'll were saints.

14 Likes

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Lilimax(f): 4:32pm On Dec 23, 2016
English (Bekee) bu agbara!
English is a borrowed language... embarassed
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by wickyyolo: 4:37pm On Dec 23, 2016
nah our fault say you no finish school ?

2 Likes

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by FSBoperator: 4:42pm On Dec 23, 2016
This is not the last we will hear from this weed head.

2 Likes

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Barney11: 4:44pm On Dec 23, 2016
you are incompetent!

4 Likes

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by kheengjay(m): 4:44pm On Dec 23, 2016
the gbagaun was well gbagaunded.....

unto the nxt one
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by doctokwus: 4:45pm On Dec 23, 2016
Assuming but not conceeding and replacing d words: "the funds expended were not properly expended" , still doesnt make sense.

1 Like

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by vani86: 4:55pm On Dec 23, 2016
FSBoperator:
This is not the last we will hear from this weed head.

As in, expect a lot of comedic gbagauns till 2019
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by LoveDecay(m): 4:56pm On Dec 23, 2016
Barney11:
you are incompetent!

There will be a cabinet reshuffle in 2017. Dalung is out, and he knows it, Communication minister is also out
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by mamatayour(f): 5:04pm On Dec 23, 2016
Na dat red cap be him problem grin

1 Like

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by MrOdyssey(m): 5:45pm On Dec 23, 2016
Solomon Dalung, Nigeria’s Minister for Youths and Sports Development, has explained that no human is above mistake

Exactly, no one is above mistake that why we can't wait for 2019 to correct the mistake.

1 Like

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by naija247: 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2016
So you wan say "The funds expended were properly expended because we got them from intervention funds from Mr. President.” Guy you no sabi english full stop.

1 Like

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Nbote(m): 6:37pm On Dec 23, 2016
Whether u wanted to or didn't "wanted to", what matters is that "gbagaun" came out wen u spoke. Even wat u wanted to say is still anoda "gbagaun". Dat was how many ppl wanted "Change" and "gbagaund "
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by YUNGLURD(m): 6:41pm On Dec 23, 2016
This man is a clown....dalung and shepopotamous really match eachother
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by dee02(m): 6:42pm On Dec 23, 2016
Oh shut up Dalung!!!! #DaftCunt
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Abdhul(m): 7:05pm On Dec 23, 2016
Dalung always looking high
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 23, 2016
k
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Nutase: 8:38pm On Dec 23, 2016
Campaign after election.
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Nobody: 10:18pm On Dec 23, 2016
We don hear yhu sir
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by oganology33(m): 11:44pm On Dec 23, 2016
All Hail Silvester Stallone. Minister of the Expendables.

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by BekeeBuAgbara: 12:19am On Dec 24, 2016
Lilimax:
English (Bekee) bu agbara!
English is a borrowed language... embarassed
angry
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by morbeta(m): 2:39am On Dec 24, 2016
doctokwus:
Assuming but not conceeding and replacing d words:
"the funds expended were not properly expended" , still doesnt make sense.

May be he wanted to say, the money expended is well spended grin grin
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by FreeSpirited: 4:20am On Dec 24, 2016
This man can lie sha......Even if you remove 'spended' and replace it with expended in the sentence, my brother and sister does it still make any sense??.......Smh for u
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by sunnychykes(m): 7:13am On Dec 24, 2016
I thought the guy is a lawyer.
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by policy12: 9:51am On Dec 24, 2016
What you wanted to said is well saided..dont worry.

1 Like

Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Sibrah: 9:53am On Dec 24, 2016
Expended || spended
E(s)pended
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by Nobody: 11:27am On Dec 24, 2016
He meant EXPENDABLES
Re: I Wanted To Say Expended Not ‘spended’ – Dalung Clarifies by patchsk(f): 2:12pm On Dec 24, 2016
rayblast:
What r u high on Dalung?

Dalung is high on Dung.

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is Buhari’s Biggest Failure – Saraki Reveals / Happening now! Warning As At This Morning!!!!! Don't Say You Didn't Hear this!!! / I Agree With Elrufai That Unequals Should Not Be Treated Equally - Afam4eva

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.