Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,086 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy (40097 Views)

How Banks Now Defraud People Via ATM Withdrawal / Top 5 Millionaires Who Made Their Money Online And How They Did It / Top 10 Things Nigerians Spend Their Money On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by Kimikazi2: 10:28am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

You really don't need to throw insults. It's not necessary. Are you really saying there is no other way to access money apart from physical withdrawals? When you pay at a supermarket with your atm, have you not accessed your money? When you transfer to a customer via mobile money, have you not accessed your money? Shortage of physical cash is not and cannot prevent people from having access to their money in this 21st century.
Civilized response.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by 1wolex85: 10:28am On Dec 25, 2016
proffemi:

Don't you get it? Most of those on the queues need the cash to pay those in that 80% (can't speak to the veracity of this figure).

And you say "they need to get banked". Just like that? The more you post on this topic, the more you dig yourself in...

I am not digging myself into anywhere. You are the one that has failed to see the opportunity but would rather see all the challenges. Again, I have not asked for total elimination of cash, I am saying there are people on those queues who should be encouraged to use other channels

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by Olanna45(f): 10:29am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

Oga please read again! I can still transfer money on my phone without internet! and Yes if I go to Mile 12, as long as the aboki has an account number, I can buy pepper
I understand where you are coming from. But seriously how many market women will want you to pay into there accounts? Majority of them feed there family daily from the proceeds of there petty business. She sales pepper to you, take the profit and buy garri for her family, use the capital and buy pepper again.

Then the 100# they charge for every transaction is not encouraging. Even the kenya and ghana you are citing as an example still have a percentage of their population that is not used to mobile banking.

Its better to be realistic.

2 Likes

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by oluamid(m): 10:29am On Dec 25, 2016
tankara1010:

I like to deal with facts. Lets see who is really backward and uncivilized. The thread below, colonial whites described Igbos as "civilized" and described yorubaas as "barbaric and savages". That when they arrived Lagos coast they saw yorubaas cutting their faces with sharp objects, there was blood everywhere. It was disgusting the colonial whites said. See facts!

https://www.nairaland.com/2539196/hahaha-see-what-colonial-oyibo

I don't usually interfere with this tribal war you guys always get going in any topic on this forum but to actually post the above is the height of inferiority complex and speaks more about the quality of human you are than the person you are referring to. So in your own mind, "colonial whites" are the one to judge whether a people is barbaric or not and anything they say suddenly becomes fact. The same colonialists who took millions of our kins as slaves? The same colonialists who are known to be overt racists and see anyone not Caucasian, which includes you, as below them?

The worst kind of racism is the one against self which is what you have just displayed here.

2 Likes

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by BraniacX(m): 10:31am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

Did I say totally eliminate cash? No! It's not everybody on the atm that wants to buy just a bar of soap or 50 Naira pepper.
You are talking of poor infrastructure network and all, doesn't the atm also disappoint?

True but majority of most peoples daily transactions fall within this catchment zone, so should majority of the people want for simple things just because they can't access their money to pay for it?
Like i said earlier, the banks and the government knew enough to know what is expected this period!
You can't begin to fathom the hardships millions of Nigerians are going to have to go through for simple want of their own money!
Somebody wanted to pay money into my account yesterday and i asked him pay into or transfer? He said he had the cash, I drove one hour either way and back to collect it and thanks to that, i am liquid for the next few days! That is your real Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

Of course I won't give cash I don't have. But the people who were able to collect cash earlier would reduce those at the atm. My point is not to eliminate atm
Your submissions here are spot-on.

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by unmask: 10:32am On Dec 25, 2016
Knowledge9000:

Are you okay? I know you are an afonja. Didn't you see your fathers and mothers sitting on the ground INSIDE Ekiti bank to withdraw their money? What other ways to access your money if not through physical withdrawals and ATM? I don't know what is wrong with how you guys reason.
you are the one with problem of reasoning.....some o e explained to you and you are still ranting.....smh.....to think he even turned it tribal

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by proffemi: 10:35am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

I am not digging myself into anywhere. You are the one that has failed to see the opportunity but would rather see all the challenges. Again, I have not asked for total elimination of cash, I am saying there are people on those queues who should be encouraged to use other channels

Iwolex85, you sound like a nice guy. I think you should take a deep breath, calmly read through this thread again, and reflect. I like that you haven't taken the bait when insults are hurled at you, but I can see what most of those guys are saying. Not everyone arguing with you is ignorant of the issues. I can in fact propose an explanation for what we're witnessing (someone thinks festivities = more cash in circulation = armed robbers) but there are levels of reasoning, and some trump others. You're relying too much on hypotheticals while not being cognizant enough of what actually obtains right now. With that, I wish you a Merry Xmas, and goodbye.

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 25, 2016
oluamid:
[s]

I don't usually interfere with this tribal war you guys always get going in any topic on this forum but to actually post the above is the height of inferiority complex and speaks more about the quality of human you are than the person you are referring to. So in your own mind, "colonial whites" are the one to judge whether a people is barbaric or not and anything they say suddenly becomes fact. The same colonialists who took millions of our kins as slaves? The same colonialists who are known to be overt racists and see anyone not Caucasian, which includes you, as below them?

The worst kind of racism is the one against self which is what you have just displayed here[/s].

Afonja and warped reasoning when it doesn't suit them.
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by 1wolex85: 10:35am On Dec 25, 2016
osazeej:
I couldn't agree more. I too would like to meet 1wolex85 for he has consistently displayed impeccable emotional intelligence in his responses.

If I say I am not tired, I lie. I fear for my country. Only few people on this thread have disagreed and given civil responses. Yet we want a young person to be President. I am scared honestly.
I have not said for once that there are no risks or exceptions to what I am suggesting concerning mobile money but those risks are what will create jobs for people. Neither have I suggested total elimination of cash but emotions are just preventing people from seeing what I am seeing. I get that they are angry and some have the right to be but if we continue like this, we will be here next year discussing the same thing

2 Likes

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by patientzero: 10:36am On Dec 25, 2016
Chuksemi:

You are clearly not OK.

Have you tried withdrawing recently? Or doing a mobile transfer?

Sometimes, I am amazed at how people think

I'm amazed at your own thought process

I couldn't withdraw at stanbic ibtc (twice in one week)

Mainly Due to their atm issues

But withdrawals at sterling and zenith atm's were seamless.

Since you're too short-sighted to read btw the lines... blame your bank!

Even during the jonathanian era I was stranded a lot while serving cos the bank atm's had issues , Being someone who rarely carries cash I don't intend spending within an hour or 2 I had to learn to keep a fat wallet.

only an illiterate blames FG for his inability to make withdrawals during the xmas rush.

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

Oga you need to calm down. Nobody is preventing anybody from having access to their money
Yes there is shortage of physical cash, people should use other channels, if you take your atm to a shop and pay via atm or you transfer money, it will still go. So it is wrong to say people are being denied access to their money
CBN has focused so much on the Dollar issue this year that they have not expanded on their cashless policy. That is the real issue.

I posted this on an earlier thread,
What CBN needs to do is deepen the implementation of Mobile Money. In Kenya, once I have your phone number, I can transfer money to you. This also saves a lot of money in printing cash. Another option is to take advantage of cash based businesses and use them as mobile money agents. For example, I should be able to walk into a Petrol station or supermarket, deposit money in their account through their POS and they give me the cash equivalent. It will help this businesses reduce their cash calls and bank trips.

op please what are you defending . HOw many shops in our local markets operate POS machines. we are in a festive season and people need to buy food items from vendors who don't operate the Pos. how many nigerians can walk into a filling station and ask for cash with their ATM cards .
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by 1wolex85: 10:37am On Dec 25, 2016
proffemi:

Iwolex85, you sound like a nice guy. I think you should take a deep breath, calmly read through this thread again, and reflect. I like that you haven't taken the bait when insults are hurled at you, but I can see what most of those guys are saying. Not everyone arguing with you is ignorant of the issues. I can in fact propose an explanation for what we're witnessing (someone thinks festivities = more cash in circulation = armed robbers) but there are levels of reasoning, and some trump others. You're relying too much on hypotheticals while not being cognizant enough of what actually obtains right now. With that, I wish you a Merry Xmas, and goodbye.

Sir, this thing can work if we want to make it work. IT is the will we need. Ok let me ask, what do you suggest we do as a country so that we do not find ourselves on this kind of thread next year? Print more cash?

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by Damfostopper(m): 10:40am On Dec 25, 2016
all of them afonja.... and flatheaded are just making noise behind d keyboard for nothing... dem freeze MMM Wetin una do... banks too can decide to do it..... ye guys can't do anything

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by BraniacX(m): 10:40am On Dec 25, 2016
ozo13:
yeah that ur last sentence, some ppl are into d business.though u pay certain amount depending on d amount u wish to withdraw.like the business centre I used yesterday, below 5k u pay 150 naira btw 5-10k it is 200 and above 10k u pay 250 naira. grin

Paga outlets at Dstv/Gotv shops, unfortunately, you can't withdraw through them, withdrawing is the problem here!
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by 1wolex85: 10:41am On Dec 25, 2016
BraniacX:

True but majority of most peoples daily transactions fall within this catchment zone, so should majority of the people want for simple things just because they can't access their money to pay for it?
Like i said earlier, the banks and the government knew enough to know what is expected this period!
You can't begin to fathom the hardships millions of Nigerians are going to have to go through for simple want of their own money!
Somebody wanted to pay money into my account yesterday and i asked him pay into or transfer? He said he had the cash, I drove one hour either way and back to collect it and thanks to that, i am liquid for the next few days! That is your real Nigeria

Ok, but can you suggest another way so we do not find ourselves on this kind of thread next year or should we just accept this is how naija is?

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by matrixme(m): 10:41am On Dec 25, 2016
Seun has to really do something to curb tribalism on Nairaland in 2017. A thread about short money in circulation and the front-page is awash with a lot of unrestrained insults. This is getting out of hands.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by patientzero: 10:42am On Dec 25, 2016
tankara1010:

Shut up and Google about Igbo Landing in Georgia.

Lols isn't that the link you pasted? I've gone through it

And now you're embarrassed at your folly.

Descendant of a slave... interesting discovery about igbos sha

You google it and paste the links i'll happily click em

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by andyanders: 10:42am On Dec 25, 2016
redsceptic:

Can you buy fuel with POS everywhere in Nigeria? In Benin where I live, only ONE filling station allows cashless transactions. Can you buy pepper? Chicken? salt? carrots? cucumber? groundnut oil? half crate of eggs? one loaf of bread? pampers? tin of baby food?

Can you pay your washerman with POS? or mai-guard? or tailor?

Nigeria is an informal and unstructured society. The cashless policy will not take hold for at least a decade. The CBN is incompetent else it should know this

Well said my brother. One problem with Nigerians is that we are copycats. We like to copy what other societies that are 1 million miles away from us are doing.

How can one talk of the use of POS in rural areas and even in 90% of our urban areas by this time.

The current Apex Bank managers are not economists hence their poor judgement. I weep for this country as the government only employ their own party members into strategic position of governance even when they are not qualified to be in that position. You can have a biologist as a minister of Sports or economic adviser to the government.
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by bentlywills(m): 10:42am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

Yes sir you can buy all those things once you have the person's account number. Mobile Money will do the transfer for you and they will get alert and you take your foods except they don't have an account number. Please note I said it is true there is shortage of cash but it is wrong to say they blocked access to people's money. CBN has failed to enlighten the populace to take advantage of several e-channels available and note that there are mobile money Services where you don't need internet on your phone.

So I have to use mobile money to buy 30naira pepper, ?
Hw much will b the bank commission

Oga with all due respect if u don't have anything good to say to read and move on!

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by 1wolex85: 10:42am On Dec 25, 2016
Olanna45:
I understand where you are coming from. But seriously how many market women will want you to pay into there accounts? Majority of them feed there family daily from the proceeds of there petty business. She sales pepper to you, take the profit and buy garri for her family, use the capital and buy pepper again.

Then the 100# they charge for every transaction is not encouraging. Even the kenya and ghana you are citing as an example still have a percentage of their population that is not used to mobile banking.

Its better to be realistic.

We need to make this happen. How else can we stop all these mad rush during Xmas?

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by segunk1(m): 10:43am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

You really don't need to throw insults. It's not necessary. Are you really saying there is no other way to access money apart from physical withdrawals? When you pay at a supermarket with your atm, have you not accessed your money? When you transfer to a customer via mobile money, have you not accessed your money? Shortage of physical cash is not and cannot prevent people from having access to their money in this 21st century.

Shey you ll goan buy food stuff in market with ATM too, abi its everyone selling in balogun market that has POS? And shey you will do online transaction to pay conductor when you enter public bus too? Reason am well bros cos you dey talk like say you no be nigerian ooo.
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by 1wolex85: 10:44am On Dec 25, 2016
andyanders:

Well said my brother. One problem with Nigerians is that we are copycats. We like to copy what other societies that are 1 million miles away from us are doing.

How can one talk of the use of POS in rural areas and even in 90% of our urban areas by this time.

The current Apex Bank managers are not economists hence their poor judgement. I weep for this country as the government only employ their own party members into strategic position of governance even when they are not qualified to be in that position. You can have a biologist as a minister of Sports or economic adviser to the government.

But most of these queues are happening in urban areas where the CBN can implement mobile money solutions

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by tommynico(m): 10:45am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

Yes sir you can buy all those things once you have the person's account number. Mobile Money will do the transfer for you and they will get alert and you take your foods except they don't have an account number. Please note I said it is true there is shortage of cash but it is wrong to say they blocked access to people's money. CBN has failed to enlighten the populace to take advantage of several e-channels available and note that there are mobile money Services where you don't need internet on your phone.
You dey mad abi na wetin be the meaning of this nonsence? So for u to buy tomatoes or pepper nw, u would require the saleswo/man to give u his/her acc. num for u to make a financial transaction? You must be so high on cess water.
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by lereinter(m): 10:45am On Dec 25, 2016
Knowledge9000:

Are you okay? I know you are an afonja. Didn't you see your fathers and mothers sitting on the ground INSIDE Ekiti bank to withdraw their money? What other ways to access your money if not through physical withdrawals and ATM? I don't know what is wrong with how you guys reason.

the brain of a biafrog will always be upside down

1 Like

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by Preator: 10:45am On Dec 25, 2016
I had the same challenge withdrawing at the ATM too. I had earlier withdrawn substantial cash late in November to avoid the usual December rush(it happens yearly, just that this one seems worse). I went shopping yesterday and saw that prices had risen steeply. my bill amounted to 45k, I had just 41k+ with me(even pampers had gone up by 32%) as I had planned to spend just 38k. I tried bargaining to 41k but no luck. I had to confess to the woman that I have no other cash with me and the ATMs were jacked up(most of the stuffs were for my son so I didn't wanna leave them). to my surprise she said I can do a transfer to her. I broke out in a smile, opened my diamond mobile and did the transfer. I went home with my goods as well as my physical cash( I hope it will be enough till next year).
bottom line is that we need to develop our mobile money to the level where only few transactions will require cash( pay taxis, buying pepper, mamaput etc). it will go a long way in relieving our economy and the banking sector that is near collapse from inconsistent government policies and TSA.

2 Likes

Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 25, 2016
patientzero:
[s]

Lols isn't that the link you pasted? I've gone through it

And now you're embarrassed at your folly.

Descendant of a slave... interesting discovery about igbos sha

You google it and paste the links i'll happily click em[/s]

Dummy...read!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Landing
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

that individual sounds really ignorant, you can't blame his ignorance besides most nigerians are illiterates they may not be aware of what you are trying to elaborate. and nigerian banking system i guess is not as advanced as you appear to believe.

Hence why most people wants physical cash, i mean if you want to buy things like meat, chicken, food, yam, noodle, crafish, tomatoes, gala and ETC or you wants to pay for okada or keke you are definitely going to need cash for these things, you can not pay for certain services or product with cards. so please do not be too condescending to them for demanding to withdraw their money. it is their had earned money afterall, they can choose how to spend it, they have the full right to
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by BraniacX(m): 10:48am On Dec 25, 2016
mfm04622:

People like you should be invited to spend the holiday with DSS! Am sure your aim is to incite the public!

I work in the banking industry. There is shortage of cash. This is due to the fact that demand for cash is very high this time. The CBN also can't supply cash as banks have not been taking cash to CBN. The CBN act as bank to banks.

Did the CBN or others announced their is limit , the amount of money you have withdraw? No!

You already admitted your bias as a bank worker!
Demand for cash has always been high at this period and a pro-active banking industry would have worked to forestall this bad scenario, did they? No!
The CBN has not been receiving cash deposits from banks and that's why they can't provide banks with cash to pay their customers creating the shortage you already admitted to but since the industry is still solvent, the question is, where is all the cash then?
A honest answer will lead you to the corridors of power in the country hence the reason we blame them!
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by patchsk(f): 10:49am On Dec 25, 2016
AlhajiSpray:

The wozing you have received has started to make you lose your wits! A woman can only be impregnated by 1 man's s_sperm so how can I be from 10? Anyway school is not a priority in ipobland so I'm not suprised!

How is your mother Nwakego? And that your Keke napep driving father mazi okechukwu? Please tell your father I will send him some money to use for his otapiapia and seagrams dry gin combo r pay as you go mother to my country home so that I can _penetrate her anus and vagina as other men do to yours while ayinde barrister plays in the background!

Iseeeeeee! Bloody olodo!
Dimwit.
I just called you a bastttard and you couldn't fathom that.
Your mother doesn't know your real father
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by proffemi: 10:49am On Dec 25, 2016
1wolex85:

Sir, this thing can work if we want to make it work. IT is the will we need. Ok let me ask, what do you suggest we do as a country so that we do not find ourselves on this kind of thread next year? Print more cash?

Print more cash? Don't condescend.

Lets walk through this together. To encourage the cashless policy, there's a daily limit that is now effectively N120k (20k,6 withdrawals) , no?

This means that any Nigerian now cannot access more than N120k-N150k cash in hand every day, but conversely, can reasonably expect to have a RIGHT to get that amount from the ATM.

Do you agree so far?
Re: Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy by BraniacX(m): 10:50am On Dec 25, 2016
kutitosin:
This convo is meaningless. How did banks prevent people from withdrawing? How can cash finishing in a machine be a way of preventing people from withdrawing? I've seen people insinuating silly things since Friday and I'm sure they are talking out of ignorance. Find any Fidelity Bank ATM within ur area and withdraw ur daily limit. If ur bank prevents u, open an accont with fidelitybank. Merry Christmas

Shhhhhh lipsrsealed

Must you expose us? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Man Tries To Commit Suicide In Banking Hall After Fraudsters Withdrew His Money / Ten (10) Ways One Can Remain Poor In Life / Naira Exchange Rates Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.