Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December (23806 Views)

Fan Shot Dead At Wizkid‘s Concert, Policeman Arrested. Wizkid Reacts / Time To Put An End To SARS And Police Brutality In Southern Nigeria / How To Report Any Form Of Police Brutality In Nigeria (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingAfo:

Imagine. I no read am finish sef.

I swear, I'm not sure who's raising this new crop of Nigerian youths.

I normally wouldn't offer my opinion on such a thread because the juvenile delinquents will come out in droves, but it's important for public safety to educate reasonable Nigerians that it's deadly to drag gun from a police officer.

3 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by nairaman66(m): 1:49pm On Dec 29, 2016
The Nigerian Police is a terrorist organization abandoned by the Federal Government. It is time for it to be disbanded!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by toprealman: 1:49pm On Dec 29, 2016
Always remember this, frustration breeds aggression. Those guys are frustrated beings! I use cold treatment on them and that works perfectly. My Chi at work most likely.
Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by highpriest4: 1:49pm On Dec 29, 2016
legendprac:
My Story... Praise-Legend Onwuachu.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154243207660687&id=755890686
u this pastor's son, u tried that night o. I saw u cruising that toyota sienna. I helped u that night before your father came and settled the matter. U were shouting "Shouting call daddy". What a small world

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by KingAfo(m): 1:50pm On Dec 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I normally wouldn't offer my opinion on such a thread because the juvenile delinquents will come out in droves, but it's important for public safety to educate reasonable Nigerians that it's deadly to drag gun from a police officer.
Exactly. Let's thank God he's alive. They could have shot his enemy and take others to the station put guns in front of them and call a media house. Saying notorious criminals have finally been caught.

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by nairaman66(m): 1:54pm On Dec 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I'm beginning to see a pattern of how and why Nigerians are being off'd like chickens by police.

You admitted online to trying to disarm a leo while on duty?

You're lucky but don't push that luck too far.

PS: if I were the igp, I would arrest before sunset and charge you to court.

Shut up your useless vocal cavity! You expect him to watch the drunken cow called a policeman to shoot him?

5 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by getostar: 1:55pm On Dec 29, 2016
Joephat:

Go and report them to the appropriate authority or just leave them...

leave vengeance for God, they will surely pay back.

Ndo!

That is how we leave everything for God while the decay continues!!!

4 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 29, 2016
nairaman66:

Shut up your useless vocal cavity! You expect him to watch the drunken cow called a policeman to shoot him?

Request denied grin

Though I'm not using my vocal cavity but rather my fingers wink

Chineke Odinma, they are out in droves this morning bah cheesy
Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Onuokwu: 1:57pm On Dec 29, 2016
legendprac:
My Story... Praise-Legend Onwuachu.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154243207660687&id=755890686

You need to write an official petition to the state commissioner of Police beyond posting it in social media. Possible put the IG in copy.
Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Flaghouse1: 1:58pm On Dec 29, 2016
Egunmagaji

KingAfo:

Imagine. I no read am finish sef.

This is realy a mis-normal dragging a gun with a police officer is wrong he can be termed a robber trying to disarm a police officer on duty.

I had once plied that. Route some 3 years back ,I. Was stopped for tinted permit,the officer was happy that he had made a big catch since my car was a lagos Registration number,but when I brought out my tinted permit he took it to other vehicle.Owners parked for fake tinted permit or not having permit and showed them that mine was an authentic permit and allowed me to go without any stress .

We need to be careful when stopped by police officers,conduct ourselves with the minimum expected decorum.

Stay safe

2 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by GreyLaw(m): 2:01pm On Dec 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

My comprehension skill is intact so I don't need to read the story again.

It's clear our opinions differ and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hundreds if not thousands of citizens passed through that checkpoint, what made him so lucky to the point of imminent execution?

I get your point.

But if we continue in that line of thought, we will succeed in creating a Nigeria where her citizens always cower for their lives in the face of oppression -- Not too bad; I don't dare argue with crazy, armed men.

But the reverse side of the coin is that, then, we would have also succeeded in creating police men who unleash terror on the cowering citizenry, and who expect silent submission at all times.

Be that as it may, there'd always be Nigerians who'd refuse every form of oppression, no matter who the aggressor is. Couple this with crazy police people and you have the perfect storm!

Cure the police, salvage the situation. A policeman should never, for whatever reason, aim his gun at an innocent, non-violent citizen.

4 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by chronique(m): 2:06pm On Dec 29, 2016
My dad said something to me. If anyone attempts to kill you, kill the person first if you have the time to attack. I have never allowed that escape my mind for once. Anyone who stands in front of me to pull a trigger while my leg is on the throttle, can as well kiss life goodbye that moment cos I'd definitely clear everything in front of me. But in a situation like this, calmness and restraint should be excercised.

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 29, 2016
you are lucky to be alive

1: Always act the fool when with an agitated and frustrated Policeman.
2: Never reach for his gun.. He will kill you for that
3: Always lie down and beg like your life depends on it. use that time to scout for the vehicle registration number
4: Never look for their Police Registration Numbers sewn to their Uniform.. they always cover it up with reflective vests

Remember.. THE POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 29, 2016
nairaman66:

U need to chill. Look I'm not in support of police brutality, I know a lot of cops out there at trigger angry which s no good, but it is very important not to argue with a policeman with a gun, even worse when u try to disarm him. We have heard the op's story, but how are u so sure he was telling the whole truth? Lots of Nigerian youths when they come across a police check point they tend to claim like they know too much. When u have nothing to hide, be calm to policemen they will let u go.

I have come across a lot of youths that just scream at officers whenever they are stopped at a check point. Ask them for their papers they will start raising their voices. And why was his friend so eager to leave at a check point... Isn't that causing suspicion? Even if his house is on the next block, he should wait until the police finish their job. Look let's turn the table around... Let's say that dude that requested to leave was an armed robber and asked to leave in the middle of stop and search and the police let him, u will be here online saying the police doesn't know their job and why would they just let him leave like that. The police might not be the best of friends but let them go on strike for just one day then u will realize their importance. I agree there are lots of bad eggs in the force.

2 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Commonsense101(m): 2:15pm On Dec 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I'm beginning to see a pattern of how and why Nigerians are being off'd like chickens by police.

He admitted to acting in self defence preventing Himself from being murdered.
Stop thinking through your anvs.

Anyways i understand your type. You like to be controversial just to get attention.
Always fighting, always quarrelling. Locked in different altercations in different sections.
You seriously got deep seated issues man, very deep ones. Mental and psychological.

5 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 29, 2016
And you wonder why people spend so much to buy high end cars ? These rag tag militia called Policemen have inferiority complex, they are narcissistic. They largely dont stop big cars due to their inherent inferiority complex. Sorry bro, its the country we find ourselves.
Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 29, 2016
GreyLaw:

I get your point.

But if we continue in that line of thought, we will succeed in creating a Nigeria where her citizens always cower for their lives in the face of oppression -- Not too bad; I don't dare argue with crazy, armed men.

But the reverse side of the coin is that, then, we would have also succeeded in creating police men who unleash terror on the cowering citizenry, and who expect silent submission at all times.

Be that as it may, there'd always be Nigerians who'd refuse every form of oppression, no matter who the aggressor is. Couple this with crazy police people and you have the perfect storm!

Cure the police, salvage the situation. A policeman should never, for whatever reason, aim his gun at an innocent, non-violent citizen.

I'll never ask any Nigerian to cower to civil servants, on the same note I would never give any Nigerian a standing ovation from attempting to disarm a leo while performing his duties.

My views on this will never change.

We don't have to agree so let's celebrate our differences.
Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Commonsense101(m): 2:18pm On Dec 29, 2016
GreyLaw:

But if we continue in that line of thought, we will succeed in creating a Nigeria where her citizens always cower for their lives in the face of oppression.

But the reverse side of the coin is that, then, we would have also succeeded in creating police men who unleash terror on the cowering citizenry, and who expect silent submission

Simple common sense.

2 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by drmikeadams(m): 2:27pm On Dec 29, 2016
nairaman66:
The Nigerian Police is a terrorist organization abandoned by the Federal Government. It is time for it to be disbanded!
grin grin grin grin..u deserve a borrle of origin walai..

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by hakimi1974(m): 2:28pm On Dec 29, 2016
ah, me argue with an armed police man? just obey them with enough yes sir and sorry sir make one drunk and insane illetrate no come use me do shooting practiçe i dread those guys more than robbers.

2 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by drmikeadams(m): 2:30pm On Dec 29, 2016
greenhulk:

U need to chill. Look I'm not in support of police brutality, I know a lot of cops out there at trigger angry which s no good, but it is very important not to argue with a policeman with a gun, even worse when u try to disarm him. We have heard the op's story, but how are u so sure he was telling the whole truth? Lots of Nigerian youths when they come across a police check point they tend to claim like they know too much. When u have nothing to hide, be calm to policemen they will let u go.

I have come across a lot of youths that just scream at officers whenever they are stopped at a check point. Ask them for their papers they will start raising their voices. And why was his friend so eager to leave at a check point... Isn't that causing suspicion? Even if his house is on the next block, he should wait until the police finish their job. Look let's turn the table around... Let's say that dude that requested to leave was an armed robber and asked to leave in the middle of stop and search and the police let him, u will be here online saying the police doesn't know their job and why would they just let him leave like that. The police might not be the best of friends but let them go on strike for just one day then u will realize their importance. I agree there are lots of bad eggs in the force.
grin grin grin if them go strike one month,nothing will happpen...
Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 2:33pm On Dec 29, 2016
I have a friend who likes to drive us around whenever I come to Nigeria.

One night we were out and came upon a police checkpoint. Do you know what this fool did? He tried to drive off while the officer was still interviewing us.

So I pulled the ebrake and the officers ran up all agitated to find me agitated already at him. I was told they were ready to open fire imminently.

Moral of the story. Be the change that you seek. Respect begets respect. If yah all treat these police with disdain, try to disarm them, usurp their authority then why won't they become hardened.

It's not the job of the citizen on the street to beat down wayward cops. We are a country of law. Write to your legislature to effect change at the top. Replace igp and ensure that one that encourages community policing is hired.

Getting into fist fights with armed Leo's is detrimental to the health and not the way to effect reasonable change.

2 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nihilist: 2:34pm On Dec 29, 2016
NotComplaining:
The history of police in a colonial state will give you good reason to never trust a man in uniform.

There is misconception that police, owing their public position, exist to protect the people. Nigerian police are bottom feeding thugs whose single purpose is to enforce the status quo.

Nigerias colonial masters set up the police to protect their assets from dissidents and civil movements like Ken Sarowiwa and MEND. These assets later included state officials whose job it is to funnel money to colonial banks like Barclays.

Nigerians were never meant to be benefactors of the system. We, like people living in war torn, failed states like Somalia and Sudan are its victims.

Its a shame I can't like this post more than once...

2 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 29, 2016
greenhulk:

Very well written.

An astute post.

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I have a friend who likes to drive us around whenever I come to Nigeria.

One night we were out and came upon a police checkpoint. Do you know what this fool did? He tried to drive off while the officer was still interviewing us.

So I pulled the ebrake and the officers ran up all agitated to find me agitated already at him. I was told they were ready to open fire imminently.

Moral of the story. Be the change that you seek. Respect begets respect. If yah all treat these police with disdain, try to disarm them, usurp their authority then why won't they become hardened.

It's not the job of the citizen on the street to beat down wayward cops. We are a country of law. Write to your legislature to effect change at the top. Replace igp and ensure that one that encourages community policing is hired.

Getting into fist fights with armed Leo's is detrimental to the health and not the way to effect reasonable change.

U are so on point. I've come across people trying to drive off at a check point, and some will start raising voices at the police just because they asked for papers.

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 29, 2016
drmikeadams:
grin grin grin if them go strike one month,nothing will happpen...

I know you are wrong but let's just pray that it never happens.

There are case studies that already exist that shows anarchy when this occurs. New Orleans post Katrina is a recent example.

As bad as they are portrayed they are a necessary societal evil.
Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by andyanders: 2:42pm On Dec 29, 2016
Go to the state's Commissioner of Police in your state to report this case. In fact I feel sad that the government of Nigeria or the senior police officers, fail to discipline their own when they see them while on official duty drinking all sorts of alcohol while armed.

Something must be done on this issue. An officer will be armed and drunk at the same time?An officer will openly tell you that 'he can waste you by shooting you down and Nothing can happen'? It is high time the public come out on this.
Thank God op that you are alive today to write your story. Many souls went beyond like this in this country.

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Commonsense101(m): 2:43pm On Dec 29, 2016
NotComplaining:
The history of police in a colonial state will give you good reason to never trust a man in uniform.

There is misconception that police, owing their public position, exist to protect the people. Nigerian police are bottom feeding thugs whose single purpose is to enforce the status quo.

Nigerias colonial masters set up the police to protect their assets from dissidents and civil movements like Ken Sarowiwa and MEND. These assets later included state officials whose job it is to funnel money to colonial banks like Barclays.

Nigerians were never meant to be benefactors of the system. We, like people living in war torn, failed states like Somalia and Sudan are its victims.
3,000 likes

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by repogirl(f): 2:46pm On Dec 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Go and study the law and educate yourself. You have a smartphone on your person.

People like me stay alive by not acting insolent with armed leo's doing their duty.
Don't talk about law here because it's obvious you know none of it.

There's a fine line between professionally doing ones duty and insulting or attacking an unarmed person for no reason.

I repeat, it's people like you who allow this gross violation of a person's basic rights that have contributed in the system being so rotten. When you or someone close to you becomes the victim, you will wake up.

4 Likes

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 29, 2016
repogirl:
Don't talk about law here because it's obvious you know none of it.

There's a fine line between professionally doing ones duty and insulting or attacking an unarmed person for no reason.

I repeat, it's people like you who allow this gross violation of a person's basic rights that have contributed in the system being so rotten. When you or someone close to you becomes the victim, you will wake up.

So have you done any research at all or you'll rather expose your ignorance and/or offer bad wishes to people close to you?

Your smartphone is not limited to Nairaland. Expand your horizon, read the constitution.

1 Like

Re: Police Brutality: How I Was Almost Shot Dead At Nkpo Junction On 26th December by legendprac(m): 3:00pm On Dec 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Have read your responses and I know you either didn't read my story, or you have issues.
At what point did we start fighting for his gun?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abia Court Sentences Two Former Bakassi Operatives To Death By Hanging / Poly Graduate Awaiting NYSC Call Up Commits Suicide In Aba / Illegal Oil Bunkers Arrested In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.