Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,756 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg (25380 Views)

Nigeria Conflict Stops Farmers’ Bid To Benefit From Us-China Trade War-Bloomberg / 11 Possibly Great Modern Presidents Nigeria Could Have (Pics) / Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Useful Things (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by rabex123(m): 8:35am On Jan 04, 2017
darknetcom:

read what??..
Read the article.. And see if your first comment is in tantum
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Corrinthians(m): 8:36am On Jan 04, 2017
uchennamani:
Have you been to the north? Yes or no? Aside Lagos, which other southern states in Nigeria have a very big population? Even Lagos is fairly divided between Muslims and Christians, as some yorubas are Muslims.
I have been to the north. My problem with your submission is using landmass as a basis for comparism.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by protocoll(m): 8:38am On Jan 04, 2017
divicoded:
Where are the flattties? I hope they are seeing this? I hope they won't chorus it is their money that developed Lagos again when Abakaliki Umuhiahi etc are begging for development

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by darknetcom: 8:40am On Jan 04, 2017
rabex123:

Read the article.. And see if your first comment is in tantum

i said the western world should fvck off!!...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by lekkie073(m): 8:42am On Jan 04, 2017
proeast:
Lagos is what it is, simply because the FG made it so out of stupidity of keeping everything there. Even if you put a dog as governor, Lagos will still continue to expand because a small area can not serve 180 million people without experiencing exponential growth. Lagos is the major reason afonjas keep shouting one Nigeria. They want the city to grow into the adjoining states with the contribution of other Nigerians. Smh.
Lagos.I had been ordained by Eledumare to be great. And mind u i said Eledumare, not chineke.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Arrow24: 8:47am On Jan 04, 2017
uchennamani:
Oga, good morning. Muslims are bigger than Christians in Nigeria. The entire northern states make up 70% of Nigeria. Look at your map, it doesn't lie.
and the entire 70% are all Muslims??

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by APCmyheart(m): 8:53am On Jan 04, 2017
Emjay1310:
The statement Nigeria is made up of 50% Muslim's and 40% Christians. That is very dangerous. No facts to back that argument. And for those happy about that Lagos issue should not forget that it had the privilege of being the country's capital for more than 30 years. I smell something fishy in this report

Calabar also serve as Nigeria Capital sometimes Ago.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by rusher14: 8:53am On Jan 04, 2017
uzolexis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nigeria
According to a 2001 report[14] from The World Factbook by CIA, about 50% of Nigeria's population is Muslim, 40% are Christians and 10% adhere to local religions.

and apart from edo state, most south west states have a large muslim population Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun they have a lot of muslims.
Even Auchi in Edo state has a significant number of Muslims.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by STEVENcrack(m): 8:54am On Jan 04, 2017
40%xtian 50% Muslim..seriously
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by rusher14: 8:55am On Jan 04, 2017
zicoraads:

This report is bollocks!

OK what report should we rely on?
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by ddeola: 9:02am On Jan 04, 2017
Eko ile. wink cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by edoziebobbyyahoocom(m): 9:03am On Jan 04, 2017
Yorubas need deliverance! this little compliment a foreigner paid to lagos, you guyz are already bashing other tribes for it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by adconline(m): 9:05am On Jan 04, 2017
OP Just described Lagos which represents just 10% of Naija. So 90% of the country is in trouble. BTW, 50% of Lagos residents don't have access for clean water and toilets.
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by jpmoriarti(m): 9:09am On Jan 04, 2017
Nice writeup!
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by bart10: 9:21am On Jan 04, 2017
In fairness to the Yorubas, they are the most tolerant group in Nigeria. Proudly Yoruba but I still love my SE/SS brothers. Happy new year to all once more.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Ayus34(m): 9:35am On Jan 04, 2017
proeast:
Who is tart mentioning me?? Kid, go and look for those in the same spectrum with you because I dont argue with juveniles, worse still the re.tar.ded ones. Now run along and never mention me again!
Oldest ODE!
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by moghulis: 9:58am On Jan 04, 2017
I love Lagos because of one thing only; which is... the provision of many Yoruba girls for me to f uck.
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by samijay8(m): 10:12am On Jan 04, 2017
Some people will be like Buhari have bribe this one too. We're gonna protest for this shit
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by almarthins(m): 10:19am On Jan 04, 2017
KINGwax007:
You would be safe in any Yoruba States. And if someone must kidnap you in a Yoruba state, it must be our eastern brothers or our fulanians... angry angry

Try the east in your next trip... I bet the directions your pen takes, would be different...

Nobody shld attack me o... I didn't mention name of tribes except Yoruba o

Hahahaha... Now tell me if they didn't attack you. I know some bigot wouldnt hold bck
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by lozanni(m): 10:21am On Jan 04, 2017
divicoded:
Where are the flattties? I hope they are seeing this? I hope they won't chorus it is their money that developed Lagos again when Abakaliki Umuhiahi etc are begging for development

Lolz. Konk Yooloba boy. Umuahia is now Umuhiahi, am sure you wrote that in Yooloba accent. hehehe.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 04, 2017
lozanni:

Lolz. Konk Yooloba boy. Umuahia is now Umuhiahi, am sure you wrote that in Yooloba accent. hehehe.

Akpu eating flatron don vex grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by mandarin: 10:38am On Jan 04, 2017
uzolexis:

I am actually surprised pple are doubting this statistic cause it has been available since God knows when, Muslims are more than Christians in Nigeria.
Just think about it, the North is over about 80% muslim and remember they marry numerous wives and give birth to a lot of children (most of them not all) and then the south is about 30-40% muslim as well, so yes, muslims are more than christians in Nigeria.

Let me demystify your erroneous belief. The North isn't 80% Muslim. The only region in Nigeria that can boast of over 75% indigenous Muslim population is the Northwest, comprising Kano, katsina, sokoto, zamfara, kano, Jigawa, kebbi and kaduna. Southern kaduna is Christian dominated and atheists. There are also indigenous Christians in Kebbi and other states. Admittedly, that is the Muslim dominated part of Nigeria, you can give it 90% to 10%.

The Northeast, although, has majority Muslims but high percentage of Christians especially in Southern parts of Bauchi, Gombe, Borno, Adamawa and Yobe especially indigenous population. For your information, a whole lots of places where Boko Haram has been very active were Christian areas give rise to suspicion that it may be an approach of decimating Christians in that part of Nigeria. Ascribing percentages here is a bit difficult but in the states of Borno, Gombe, Bauchi, Yobe, Adamawa, indigenous Christians cannot be less than 30% while atheist like 5-10%

The middle Belt states of kwara, kogi, Benue, Taraba, Niger, Plateau, Nararawa are a mix of both religions of which when you pull the population together it may be like 55% Christians to 40% Muslims and 5% atheists.

Of course the southwest of Nigeria is known to all and among the indigenous Yoruba people where you have probably the highest Muslims converts into Christianity in the world, is the melting pot of three religion and the headquarters of pentecostal/ Evangelical Christianity in Africa. Among the Yoruba you can safely assume around 60% Christians, 35%Muslims and 5% exclusively atheists.

The South South and southeast are Christian and atheists dominated with less than 1% Muslims.

When you put these estimates together you can't say Nigeria is muslin dominated.I have transverse this country and can safely say all those population data brandied by NBS and NPC are not empirical, they are just applying growth rate on disputed figures!
Taken that Muslims in the northwest especially give birth to many children, that is not to mean that the population of the north can now be double of the south, its against all natural law of habitat.The man who commented on Lagos committed that error probably pulling his data out of some make belief data in circulation. You can safely say that Nigeria is about 54% Christians today.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 04, 2017
Atiku2019:
Eko ni Baje cool
what do u mean? if u don't know how to say it plss stop saying nonsense.
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 04, 2017
Atiku2019:
Eko ni Baje cool
what do u mean? if u don't know how to say it plss stop saying nonsense.
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Yujin(m): 11:08am On Jan 04, 2017
Corrinthians:
Pained UgwuPob yoot.. cheesy cheesy
Looooollll. Chai! @Ugwupob. This pix is so funny.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Cubeet: 11:08am On Jan 04, 2017
lekkie073:
Lagos.I had been ordained by Eledumare to be great. And mind u i said Eledumare, not chineke.

You have ended up Tribalising this innocent post.
Why didn't the writer mention Ibadan or Oshogho
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Cubeet: 11:12am On Jan 04, 2017
Every Afonja you meet outside their region always claim to be from Lagos.
None of them do agree that they are from Ibadan or osogbo.
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Yujin(m): 11:15am On Jan 04, 2017
proeast:
Lagos is what it is, simply because the FG made it so out of stupidity of keeping everything there. Even if you put a dog as governor, Lagos will still continue to expand because a small area can not serve 180 million people without experiencing exponential growth. Lagos is the major reason afonjas keep shouting one Nigeria. They want the city to grow into the adjoining states with the contribution of other Nigerians. Smh.
You're very correct bro. We all know this and today the success of Lagos the Yorubas want to exclusively claim. That we can't allow to happen. Either way Nigeria is Lagos and Lagos is Nigeria or Nigeria made Lagos while Lagos made Nigeria. Whatever happens to Nigeria happens to Lagos and vice versa. Let those that have eyes see clearly.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by spartan117(m): 11:26am On Jan 04, 2017
peckhamboi:
Tyler Cowen my main man.

The guy is just describing the Yoruba spirit.

Having lived in the UK for 15 years, I respect being a Yoruba more.

Sometimes I wish we could just leave this country for the other extremist groups.
Pls stop fanning d flames for Nigeria's disintegration cuz it won't sooth anyone. It is vital 4 Nigeria to work thru her problems and remain one in order to lead dis continent. No other country in africa has d potential to do dis apart from Nigeria. Biafra, lagos, Fulani, Niger delta don't have the capacity to do this if they stand as a sovereign nation-state

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 04, 2017
lol the writer of the article obviously lodged in a hotel on the island and was able to walk freely. biko there are diff parts of lagos: the frosh life part and the thug life part. u dont wana take a stroll down the thug life streets of lagos
Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 04, 2017
proeast:

Are you saying the FG also compel them to be tolerant of each other's religion and other differences?

The journalist just described the Yoruba SW and this is probably why other Nigerians are comfortable living there rather than your biafraland where even the indigenes doesn't feel safe.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg by ogtavia(m): 11:45am On Jan 04, 2017
what he feels is an advantage to Nigeria and worthy of emulation is actually our greatest Achille's heel...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NNPC Confirms Sack Of Officials, Says Replacements To Be Announced Soon / I’ll Do Everything Possible For Jonathan To Win In 2015 – Lamido / Fight Between Yorubas And Nupes Now Bloody, In Kwara State - Ebiraland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.