Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

D - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / D (25675 Views)

'prayers Don't Work' – Nigerian Man Writes On Facebook / Four Reasons Why Spells (charms) Don't Work For You / D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: D by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:55pm On Jan 11, 2017
dalaman:

Its always up to the person making the claim to prove his case. We know that people tell lies all the time. How can you make an extraordinary claim and then run away from it when asked to prove it? Refusing to give further information that will verify the authenticity of his claims simply means he is lying. If he isn't lying he will prove his point.

That's a fallacy .

There are a thousand and one reasons why one could refuse to give out information about something . It does not mean he is lying . Let me give you a simple example .

Dalaman : Son , did you go for lectures today ?

Son : ***keeps quiet***

Dalaman : Did you ?

Son : ***Remains silent***

Dalaman : I know you didn't go to school , if you had gone to school , you would have responded .

The conclusion right there is false because his son was silent . Its a common fallacy we make in our everyday convos with people so I understand why you have to refused to change your view tongue

See snippet below :

Re: D by HardMirror(m): 1:55pm On Jan 11, 2017
ilynem:

Following the actions of "Nigerian Christians" isn't Christianity. Following Christ is Christianity. If u can't fault Jesus teaches, you can't fault Christianity. How is loving your God and loving your neighbor as yourself bad for the society?
Pls point me to where you addressed the op, I am interested in what you have to say about the topic. Thank you
Re: D by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:57pm On Jan 11, 2017
dalaman:

Because he didn't give further information doesn't mean he is lying. We can also apply your own principle here.

That's not true . The information he gave was totally different from others who were present at the same time gave . Others were consistent with evidence , his was totally different.
Re: D by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:02pm On Jan 11, 2017
dalaman:

Its not a hasty generalization. It's something that is well documented. The NBC told pastors to make sure they come with verifiable proof of any miracle claim before it will be aired on national TV. Since then no televangelist has come forward and the broad cast of miracles stopped on national TV. That means that all.of there were making it up.

Broadcast of miracles stopped ? Every church now has its own TV channel , so what are you talking about ? Even the church websites share evidence of miracles .

My church's magazine prints even personal information about the testifier : name , residence and picture ; and evidence for his testimony - name of hospital, lab results etc.

Stop lying Dalaman grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: D by dalaman: 2:03pm On Jan 11, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

That's a fallacy .

There are a thousand and one reasons why one could refuse to give out information about something . It does not mean he is lying . Let me give you a simple example .

Dalaman : Son , did you go for lectures today ?

Son : ***keeps quiet***

Dalaman : Did you ?

Son : ***Remains silent***

Dalaman : I know you didn't go to school , if you had gone to school , you would have responded .

The conclusion right there is false because his son was silent . Its a common fallacy we make in our everyday convos with people so I understand why you have to refused to change your view tongue

See snippet below :

We are talking about a real situation not a hypothetical one. If I ask my son if he goes to school. He will answer. He won't keep quiet. So your analogy has failed. It's silly and of no use to me and any reasonable person.

In the case of your man he said he raised a person from the dead, when asked he said he doesn't want to reveal the person's identity because it's a private matter. If it's private why bring it up in the first place? When pressed he kept bringing diffrent excuses.

It's the same thing you are trying to do here. You just made up some story out of your head involving a nameless person with a nameless lab and you are trying to use it to promote your religion. You even said no body has refuted it. How can we refute lies you just made up? tongue

3 Likes

Re: D by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jan 11, 2017
RR2J:

Sure belief, faith and being without sin doesn't guarantee (2 corinthians 12-7-10)... even the scripture never states that jesus healed everyone who was ever brought to him during his lifetime.... btw there isnt only one God i'd say, judging from the beliefs that accompanies it.
What do you mean?
I just explained why pascals wager makes no sense
Re: D by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:07pm On Jan 11, 2017
dalaman:

We are talking about a real situation not a hypothetical one. If I ask my son if he goes to school. He will answer. He won't keep quiet. So your analogy has failed. It's silly and of no use to me and any reasonable person.

In the case of your man he said he raised a peon from the dead, when asked he said he doesn't want to reveal the person's identity because it's a private matter. If it's private why bring it up in the first place? When pressed he kept bringing diffrent excuses.

It's the same thing you are trying to do here. You just made up some story out of your head involving a nameless person with a nameless lab and you are trying to use it to promote your religion. You even said no body has refuted it. How can we refute lies you just made up? tongue

I hope you realize you are not making any sense . An argument from silence still stands : Its illogical to draw a conclusion based on the silence of the opponent, when the opponent is refusing to give evidence for any reason.

A fallacy remains a fallacy whether you like it or not grin

There is no proof anyone is lying in the first place . Its your own conclusion which is illogical . wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: D by randomperson: 2:12pm On Jan 11, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

I hope you realize you are not making any sense . An argument from silence still stands : Its illogical to draw a conclusion based on the silence of the opponent, when the opponent is refusing to give evidence for any reason.

A fallacy remains a fallacy whether you like it or not grin

There is no proof anyone is lying in the first place . Its your own conclusion which is illogical . wink
Well.. Those claims are still unverified. His silence notwithstanding
Re: D by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jan 11, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Placebo effects don't work on everyone and the results are ephemeral - the pain or whatever will always come back again . So stop appealing to placebo when you don't understand how it works.
Are you saying God could only take away the pain without healing the scar. Does God have limits now
Re: D by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jan 11, 2017
Pidgin2:

Lord have mercy, your case is serious
What case?
Re: D by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:15pm On Jan 11, 2017
randomperson:

Well.. Those claims are still unverified. His silence notwithstanding

Exactly . And it does not mean he is lying .

At least an atheist is honest enough to admit it grin

I'm surprised though undecided

cheesy
Re: D by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

How does viewing a website grant you healing ?

Anyway , I shared this testimony here not too long ago and no one was able to disprove it . I observed that you are skilled at questioning miracles but not the non existent evidence of Mark Zuckerberg's atheism or of an eternal universe so this is your shtick -impugning testimonies- I guess . Here is the testimony :

Two easy explanations.
1.) He's lying, all you have is an anecdote. They are highly unreliable.

2.) Unexplained healing not restricted to Christianity, you can't just say other cases of healing come from the devil, that's dishonest, you can't tell a Muslim he was healed by Satan, neither can you say that to a Buddhist or atheist.
Miracles are not restricted to Christianity, chalk it up to luck and coincidence.
Heal several amputees if you want real acknowledgment of a miracle.

1 Like

Re: D by RR2J(m): 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2017
Lennycool:

What do you mean?
I just explained why pascals wager makes no sense

[b][/b]supposing you were praying for a big job(lets not use pray let us say you were wishing to have a job) and surprisingly you got the job, exactly the position you wanted to be. What do you call that? coincidence?
Re: D by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2017
Lennycool:

Are you saying God could only take away the pain without healing the scar. Does God have limits now

We are talking of placebo effects which you claimed could be the possible reason for the pain going away . And I told you that placebo don't work on everyone and the results are not lasting .

God can expedite the healing process . I've heard testimonies of swellings reduce instantly . So its nothing new .

Prayers work I tell you .
Re: D by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 11, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

We are talking of placebo effects which you claimed could be the possible reason for the pain going away . And I told you that placebo don't work on everyone and the results are not lasting .

God can expedite the healing process . I've heard testimonies of swellings reduce instantly . So its nothing new .

grin
Then carry out the experiment next time you have an injury.
See if God will heal you
Re: D by randomperson: 2:22pm On Jan 11, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

So god can reduce the swelling but can't make it disappear? Not powerful enough then. There are testimonies in other religions too... In fact a lot of them and the thing's if Christianity is correct, those other religions have to be wrong...
Re: D by randomperson: 2:23pm On Jan 11, 2017
Lennycool:

grin
Then carry out the experiment next time you have an injury.
See if God will heal you
Or if u have a serious injury and u are bleeding profusely, don't go to hospital or look for medical help... Just pray! grin
Re: D by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:24pm On Jan 11, 2017
Lennycool:

Two easy explanations.
1.) He's lying, all you have is an anecdote. They are highly unreliable.

So all this preaching of argument from silence can't sink in ba undecided . This rules out this explanation - evidently illogical

Lennycool:
2.) Unexplained healing not restricted to Christianity, you can't just say other cases of healing come from the devil, that's dishonest, you can't tell a Muslim he was healed by Satan, neither can you say that to a Buddhist or atheist.
Miracles are not restricted to Christianity, chalk it up to luck and coincidence.
Heal several amputees if you want real acknowledgment of a miracle.

What the heck are luck and coincidence ? How can you pray for diabetes and hepatitis to be cured and it happens and you claim is luck ? What luck ? Do you know what luck or coincidence is , or have been programmed to regurgitate answers you learnt from somewhere ?

Just imagine . undecided undecided

I told you I needed a reasonable response , you failed twice egregiously
Re: D by Seun(m): 2:26pm On Jan 11, 2017
@Pidgin2: If a nice muslim lady told you that she injured her toe and applied the appropriate first aid, but 3 days later as she was leaving the mosque after mandatory prayers, she noticed that the pain was gone, would you accept it as a true miracle from God and convert to Islam?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: D by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2017
RR2J:

[b][/b]supposing you were praying for a big job(lets not use pray let us say you were wishing to have a job) and surprisingly you got the job, exactly the position you wanted to be. What do you call that? coincidence?
Depending on what you did.
If you were interviewed for the job, then it wouldn't be coincidence.
If you were just at home praying and you got it then it would be a coincidence.
Humans like to see patterns where there isn't any.

1 Like

Re: D by randomperson: 2:29pm On Jan 11, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

So all this preaching of argument from silence can't sink in ba undecided . This rules out this explanation - evidently illogical

What the heck is luck and coincidence ? How can you pray for diabetes and hepatitis to be cured and it happens and you claim is luck ? What luck ? Do you know what luck or coincidence is , or have been programmed to regurgitate answers you learnt from somewhere ?

If a Muslim prayed about diabetes and got cured, does it mean Islam is true?
Re: D by RR2J(m): 2:32pm On Jan 11, 2017
Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by [1] his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

physical healing in its farthest sense can only be a result of the transformation of our death-doomed bodies into bodies like christ's resurrected body.
Re: D by Ermacc: 2:33pm On Jan 11, 2017
HardMirror:

It is better to keep silent and let people assume you a fool, than talk and confirm to everyone that u are actually a fool.
Address the OP, when u have headache you pray and feel better, when u get a cut, why don't you pray and get healed?
yes, when i have a cut, i pray and it gets healed. Btw, you sound really butthurt. You should channel your frustration its source and not me
Re: D by Image123(m): 2:34pm On Jan 11, 2017
Lennycool:
The experiment goes like this, next time you have a physically visible injury (I insist on visible because most so called healings are just placebo effects that alter our mental state, if its visible no matter how well you feel the cut would still be there, your altered mind has little effect on the physical) , like a cut on your skin, a burn e.t.c you should pray to God to heal you. If prayer really worked you should be healed in a matter of minutes or atmost an hour.
But many reading this already know the prayer won't work and might already be coming up with these excuses

Faith: If it doesn't work most might come up with the excuse that they don't have enough faith, yet Jesus said that if only you possess faith as small as a mustard seed you should be able to move mountains, so that much faith shouldn't be required for a simple injury.

Testing God: Again most might come up with the excuse that they are testing God, but again this would be wrong, you have an injury and you're in pain, you ask your heavenly father to heal you. How is this testing God?

God has his own time:,Another excuse might be that God takes his time, but again this is just another attempt to deny the obvious, why should God wait that long to heal you of something that is presently causing you pain?

You can't deny the obvious, the prayer won't work because no one is answering them.

The Templeton foundation has even carried out research on prayers, and found them even detrimental to the health of sick patients.
Re: D by Image123(m): 2:35pm On Jan 11, 2017
Lennycool:
The experiment goes like this, next time you have a physically visible injury (I insist on visible because most so called healings are just placebo effects that alter our mental state, if its visible no matter how well you feel the cut would still be there, your altered mind has little effect on the physical) , like a cut on your skin, a burn e.t.c you should pray to God to heal you. If prayer really worked you should be healed in a matter of minutes or atmost an hour.
But many reading this already know the prayer won't work and might already be coming up with these excuses

Faith: If it doesn't work most might come up with the excuse that they don't have enough faith, yet Jesus said that if only you possess faith as small as a mustard seed you should be able to move mountains, so that much faith shouldn't be required for a simple injury.

Testing God: Again most might come up with the excuse that they are testing God, but again this would be wrong, you have an injury and you're in pain, you ask your heavenly father to heal you. How is this testing God?

God has his own time:,Another excuse might be that God takes his time, but again this is just another attempt to deny the obvious, why should God wait that long to heal you of something that is presently causing you pain?

You can't deny the obvious, the prayer won't work because no one is answering them.

The Templeton foundation has even carried out research on prayers, and found them even detrimental to the health of sick patients.

This is most ignorant on what the meaning of healing is, healing is not necessarily a miracle. What sort of placebo effect restored my failing eyesight after prayer, or healed a woman i know who was blind already, deteriorated eyesight who only knew someone is coming but didn't know who. Went for Bonnke crusade and came back seeing since about 14years ago. Or the fellow with one leg shorter than the other and the legs were made same after prayer. i like such a placebo effect, i wish for more of it. The kind that stopped an operation of over a million naira and the man is okay till date since last year. Please OP, you will be more useful to your generation if you could provide this ordinary placebo effect instead of eternal grumblings on nairaland.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: D by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:38pm On Jan 11, 2017
randomperson:

If a Muslim prayed about diabetes and got cured, does it mean Islam is true?

If the same thing happens in other religions which I strongly doubt , then from a Christian perspective their powers are from the wicked one - Satan whose purpose is to deceive people into thinking that have found truth in false religions

2 Corinthians 11:14–15
14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

The last crusade I publicized here which I attended , the Muslim who testified said that the experience he had was never undergone when he was a Muslim . He acknowledged that Christianity is totally different . He also lamented about the persecution he faced from his Muslim family and the threats he received .

Even in Christianity , false pastors use false means - juju - to perform miracles . Miracles do happen but the source should be the contentious issue .
Re: D by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 11, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Dude, I'm simply canonizing this stuff.
Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains however implausible must be correct.

What is more impossible
That he lied
Or that he got miraculously cured

The latter has no supporting evidence, so I have to go with the former

What the heck are luck and coincidence ? How can you pray for diabetes and hepatitis to be cured and it happens and you claim is luck ? What luck ? Do you know what luck or coincidence is , or have been programmed to regurgitate answers you learnt from somewhere ?

Coincidence: Of events, the appearance of a meaningful connection when there is none.

The only way it wouldn't be a coincidence was if a large percentage of everything he prayed for no matter how impossible happened.

If only some are answered and others are not, its simply luck and coincidence.
Re: D by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jan 11, 2017
Image123:

This is most ignorant on what the meaning of healing is, healing is not necessarily a miracle. What sort of placebo effect restored my failing eyesight after prayer, or healed a woman i know who was blind already, deteriorated eyesight who only knew someone is coming but didn't know who. Went for Bonnke crusade and came back seeing since about 14years ago. Or the fellow with one leg shorter than the other and the legs were made same after prayer. i like such a placebo effect, i wish for more of it. The kind that stopped an operation of over a million naira and the man is okay till date since last year. Please OP, you will be more useful to your generation if you could provide this ordinary placebo effect instead of eternal grumblings on nairaland.
Try the experiment, stop telling me about short legs and long legs.
Re: D by randomperson: 2:42pm On Jan 11, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

If the same thing happens in other religions which I strongly doubt , then from a Christian perspective their powers are from the wicked one - Satan whose purpose is to deceive people into thinking that have found truth in false religions

2 Corinthians 11:14–15
14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

The last crusade I publicized here which I attended , the Muslim who testified said that the experience he had was never undergone when he was a Muslim . He acknowledged that Christianity is totally different . He also lamented about the persecution he faced from his Muslim family and the threats he received .

Even in Christianity , false pastors use false means - juju - to perform miracles . Miracles do happen but the source should be the contentious issue .
Great!! So Christianity has as much claim to bring the true religion as every other religion that has supernatural occurrences. Nothing special about Christianity then.
Re: D by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:43pm On Jan 11, 2017
Lennycool:

Dude, I'm simply canonizing this stuff.
Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains however implausible must be correct.

What is more impossible
That he lied
Or that he got miraculously cured

The latter has no supporting evidence, so I have to go with the former

This is why most atheists are not seen as reasonable people . Its fallacious to draw that kind of conclusion - this what the argument from silence is about .

Na wa oo undecided
Re: D by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:45pm On Jan 11, 2017
randomperson:

Great!! So Christianity has as much claim to bring the true religion as every other religion that has supernatural occurrences. Nothing special about Christianity then.

You are shifting the goal post cool

Since you agree that supernatural occurrences can happen in any religion , then the thread has been dealt with . Whether you think Christianity is special or not that's your personal business .

Next !
Re: D by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 11, 2017
randomperson:

Or if u have a serious injury and u are bleeding profusely, don't go to hospital or look for medical help... Just pray! grin
No one ever does that surprisingly enough.
People only pray for things in the long term, no one ever prays for things instantaneously because they know it won't work.
Its all a mind game

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Kayan Mata Will Give You Cancer, Death – Pastor Ibiyeomie Warns / Share Pictures Of Your Christmas Food Here / Today's Rhema (God's gifts to men).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.