Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? - Religion (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? (96369 Views)

Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? / #whatif: Daddy Freez Is Correct About Tithe? / Prophet Malachi Udorji, The Founder Of Children Of God Healing Ministry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Gombs(m): 8:42am On Jan 25, 2017
petra1:

Beautiful point there . Why don't they stop worshiping God because it's in the law and because nor stop praying because Abraham prayed only once. The greed of man is something else . Just to ease the guilt of conscience

Don't mind these learners. Too many loop holes in their ideology.

That's what they told the guy to insist. Tithing is only mentioned in the law . Just as serving God is mentioned in the law .

The guy swallowed it hook line and sinker especially when I showed him that levi paid tithes to melchizedek through Abraham.

Sir, e fi trash le fun LAWMA jare grin
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Gombs(m): 8:52am On Jan 25, 2017
Junia:

You can teach tithing

So now, I can teach the law (by your wrong assumption that it's the law), abi? grin

To admonish others to be faithful to God as the Israelites were at a period of time
And how God will provide for those who work for Him (the Levites)

So, now that the priesthood is in Judah, can you tell me what order of priesthood is Jesus of, and why?

You can't practise tithing in Christianity even if you were allowed to follow the law because only Levites can receive it. Why ?? because they had no inheritance among the Israelites

But seriously, wait first.

What part of tithing was before the law don't you understand?

Can you explain how Jacob got to know about tithing? Thanks
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by petra1(m): 8:54am On Jan 25, 2017
Junia:

You can't practise tithing in Christianity even if you were allowed to follow the law because only Levites can receive it. Why ?? because they had no inheritance among the Israelites

Was Melchizedek a Levite?
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by openmine(m): 8:59am On Jan 25, 2017
petra1:

The law is scriptures and all scriptures were given by God inspiration. Why do you think Paul quoted the law in many of his epistles .

Not All scriptures bro....
are you saying that the scripture where levites were asked to kill gentiles was also inspired by God?

Are you implying that this "scripture"
"Carry out the procedure of the burnt offering as prescribed in the Torah--Leviticus 1:3" was also inspired by God?

What about this...To burn incense every day--Exodus 30:7....is that also not a scripture from the bible?
Do you burn incense everyday according to the bible?

Are u so fixed on tithe scriptures that u forget that dere are other scriptures on burnt offerings?

Do u know dere is a scripture that forbids levites and priests from helping any one unless they are helping those close to them?

U see why not all scriptures are inspired by God?
when u present a scripture it must be matched or correlated with another scripture to get the "full gist"..

petra1:

Theses principles are already in existence in the kingdom of God ever before the law came . They were not practice at the emergence of the law. The were not Accidental actions . They were lifestyles based on spiritual revelation by God . They cut across dispensations.

Like I told u initially and am asking U now....please provide scriptures of tithe's existence even before Abraham....
if u said Abraham "tithed" according to you and other tithers,then its possible that Abraham must have been obeying a law or principle which also has its "procedures" right?
If that's the case,what were the "procedures" of tithing before the law?

If u claim that tithe is an eternal principle which predated the law,why are u still going back 2 d law to seek its ' law based procedures' aka Malachi 3:10 - 12 while leaving out Deuteronomy 14:22?

And let me add Dis...If u r still insistent that tithe is pre-law,then "burnt offerings" and "circumcision" was also pre-law....are you obeying any of them presently?

petra1:

My reference to the law was for your sake. Tithes and offerings and other spiritual principles were not based on the law. Abraham was our father of faith. And these principles were revealed in his life . The law coming 400 years later doesn't add or remove existing principle . It only made a sin on non compliance to the existing principle .

No bro ur reference is based on u trying to justify why u must tithe using the law as ur reference while u astonishingly keep insisting that ur kind of tithe was before the law...
again I ask....which law was Abraham obeying wen he was giving king Melchizedek a tenth of the war spoils and how does dat translate to monetary tithes being paid every month to a pastor or church?

petra1:

The law is reference . Without the law you will have no knowledge of wrong and right . It's Gods document.

I agree with u that the law WAS a reference which led us to Christ....but that same scripture continued by saying....now that we are in Christ,we are no longer under the dictates or guide of the law but under grace..Galatians 3:24 - 25
This scripture also relates to 1 timothy 1:8 - 9

We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.
We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,

however if u still insist on obeying the law,pls ensure you do EVERYTHING contained in the law not just tithe

James 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

petra1:

Romans 7:7 (KJV)
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

My bro no scripture is of private interpretation.. don't stand on one scripture alone...

Roman 10:4

1 Timothy 1:8 -9

With the law, we gentiles will still remain gentiles while d Israelites will still be God's beloved and the only beneficiaries of God's blessings...I hope U know that..

For reference:
Ephesians 2:11 - 18,Colossians 2:6 - 23

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 25, 2017
petra1:

Was Melchizedek a Levite?

No
But at least he is a priest
Do we have priests now ??
And what was given to him was from war booty not personal income and it was only once
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by petra1(m): 9:37am On Jan 25, 2017
openmine:

Not All scriptures bro....
are you saying that the scripture where levites were asked to kill gentiles was also inspired by God?

If the Bible says so , why argue with it. All scripture were given by God inspiration.

Are you implying that this "scripture"
"Carry out the procedure of the burnt offering as prescribed in the Torah--Leviticus 1:3" was also inspired by God?

What about this...To burn incense every day--Exodus 30:7....is that also not a scripture from the bible?
Do you burn incense everyday according to the bible?

Are u so fixed on tithe scriptures that u forget that dere are other scriptures on burnt offerings?

All is all

Do u know dere is a scripture that forbids levites and priests from helping any one unless they are helping those close to them?

Ok what's really the point . Were those scriptures inspired by devil ?

If that's the case,what were the "procedures" of tithing before the law?

If u claim that tithe is an eternal principle which predated the law,why are u still going back 2 d law to seek its ' law based procedures' aka Malachi 3:10 - 12 while leaving out Deuteronomy 14:22?

Didn't Paul quote the law many times . A

And let me add Dis...If u r still insistent that tithe is pre-law,then "burnt offerings" and "circumcision" was also pre-law....are you obeying any of them presently?

I already said in my earlier posts that there exception of things that christ has fulfilled . The blood of christ is greater that blood of bulls but ha doesn't take away the principle of sacrifice,service,worship etc.

No bro ur reference is based on u trying to justify why u must tithe using the law as ur reference while u astonishingly keep insisting that ur kind of tithe was before the law...
again I ask....

The issue is not about law or nor pre law structure. Tithe is Gods . Whatever structure you may use

which law was Abraham obeying wen he was giving king Melchizedek a tenth of the war spoils and how does dat translate to monetary tithes being paid every month to a pastor or church?

Firstly, money is a general medium of exchange and I've shown from scripture that money was used in bible days as tithes and offering . They only accepted what could be used in temple service and welfare . But perishable things were replaced with cash ,unclean Animals were replaces with cash, wounded animals were also replaces many times . Money represents a mans Labour .

Secondly , this idea that pastor collect people's tithe is wrong it's satanic . Because when you use such language,it gives the impression that the people are enslaved . And the pastor as slave commander . Tithes and offerings are given to God . The money is used to run the work of minstry . (Whatever the work of ministry may be under a commission) either a prison ministry,evangelica campaign . Tv radio. Etc. There are workers to be paid from cleaners to admin apart from church rent etc. The pastor only get to be paid or put on allowance if he let go personal job. 90% of pastors do secular work and business . They mostly run the church from their salary especially at pioneering level until the church can pay its bill . It's only full time workers that get paid . Instrumentalists and choir members don't get paid but some cases the churches employs an instrumentalists to function full time . He can be enlisted to payment. So all these campaign to smear men of God over tithe is wrong. Pastors give their tithes and offerings . Most pastors are volunteers .

[quote]I agree with u that the law WAS a reference which led us to Christ....but that same scripture continued by saying....now that we are in Christ,we are no longer under the dictates or guide of the law but under grace..Galatians 3:24 - 25
This scripture also relates to 1 timothy 1:8 - 9

I agree we are not under the law .but that doesn't nullify a Gods principle contained in the law. Worship of only one God was in the law. Why was Paul re emphasizing it . Why was John speaking against idol. These are principles .

however if u still insist on obeying the law,pls ensure you do EVERYTHING contained in the law not just tithe

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

My bro no scripture is of private interpretation.. don't stand on one scripture alone...

Roman 10:4

1 Timothy 1:8 -9

With the law, we gentiles will still remain gentiles while d Israelites will still be God's beloved and the only beneficiaries of God's blessings...I hope U know that..

For reference:
Ephesians 2:11 - 18,Colossians 2:6 - 23

I've told you over And over . We are not under the law. Not being under the the law simply means you won't be made right by its deed . We do the deed because they are Gods principles . If you take away the law . There will be lawlessness. You have no basis to condemn incest , Paul will have to ground to condemn homosexuality, murder ,and all manner of evil. The law reveals Gods minds towards all these . That's the reason many Christians live lose life today . Because if you knock out the law . Morality is gone
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by plainbibletruth: 9:45am On Jan 25, 2017
Gombs:

grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Assuming that tithing is under the law, from the above bold, why can't I teach tithing since it doesn't mean I'm under that law? grin grin cheesy

Keep deceiving yourself.

PRE-LAW tithing recorded in the Scripture was unforced – the Abraham’s tithe of war bounty and Jacob’s promise to pay.
The Tithing commanded in the Law is MANDATORY. E.g. Leviticus 27: 30.

One is more or less free will tithing and the other mandated. One is possibly anything, as can be seen from Abraham giving of war bounty while the other is SPECIFIC – i.e. AGRICULTURAL PRODUCE.

Now, today’s tithers say it is ONLY MONEY, at least from what is mostly bandied about today.

My question for today’s tithers then is this:
On what Biblical instruction are today’s tithers paying their tithes – is it on the ASSUMPTION that because there is tithe payment in the Bible then it is still applicable today or is there a clearly defined INSTRUCTIONS (UNDER THE NEW COVENANT) that they can point to?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by petra1(m): 9:47am On Jan 25, 2017
Junia:

No

He wasn't a priest . He was high priest he has other priest in his order . During the law era the Order changed to Levi and in christ we are back to Melchizedek order. Which is eternal .

Psalms 110:4 (KJV)
4 The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent,
Thou art a priest for ever
after the order of Melchizedek.

Hebrews 5:10 (KJV)
10 Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

You see it's an eternal priesthood . As long as there's a highpriest the principles of God will not end. Even in the new world

And what was given to him was from war booty not personal income and it was only once

If he gave from his gain in the expedition. Gain was the key word. Don't water it down to win an argument .

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 25, 2017
Gombs:

So now, I can teach the law (by your wrong assumption that it's the law), abi? grin

So, now that the priesthood is in Judah, can you tell me what order of priesthood is Jesus of, and why?

But seriously, wait first.

What part of tithing was before the law don't you understand?

Can you explain how Jacob got to know about tithing? Thanks

Jacob vowed a vow to God for safe passage, for food and clothing and this promise was conditional. Tithing was not a conditional act, it was like a tax for the nation Israel. Again this is one time occurrence, it is never mentioned again in Jacob’s life. There was no Levitical priesthood or tabernacle that would be necessary for a tithe. Just because a tenth is mentioned does not mean it is a tithe. If i give 10% of my income to a poor man does it mean i'm tithing. Tithing is something you do regularly not on a conditional basis, not once in a lifetime nor once a year. God had Moses introduce the tithe because of the priesthood and the sacrificial system and Israel being a theocracy. If tithing was before the Law then it should apply apart from the Law. The Bible says that tithing was of the Law 400 years after Abraham . The Bible does not say that Abraham was commanded to give a tithe; the Bible does not say that Jacob was commanded to give a tithe. In fact, before Moses and the Law, the Bible does not record anyone giving tithes to God as a yearly, Monthly or weekly practice. There is No such command.
If Christians are to be practicing tithing today because of Abraham then we are also obligated to keep everything that occurred before the law! Circumcision
was given to Abraham before it was incorporated in the Law of Moses. Abraham and Jacob were circumcised
because God told them to. By the same standard of
tithing, if circumcision was practiced before the Law
then circumcision should be practiced after the Law.
The same observance applied to tithing should be
applied to circumcision. However the New Testament
says that circumcision was of the Law though it occured before the law and need not to be observed by Christians, we are circumcised in our heart when we believe in Jesus (Paul says in Galatians 3 not to keep the law).

If you want to tithe, thrn circumcise as well, offer burnt offerings as well because they all existed before the law

Galatians 3:24-25
24 Let me put it another way. The law was our guardian until Christ came; it protected us until we could be made right with God through faith.
25 And now that the way of faith has come, we no
longer need the law as our guardian.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jan 25, 2017
petra1:

He wasn't a priest . He was high priest he has other priest in his order . During the law era the Order changed to Levi and in christ we are back to Melchizedek order. Which is eternal .

Psalms 110:4 (KJV)
4 The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent,
Thou art a priest for ever
after the order of Melchizedek.

Hebrews 5:10 (KJV)
10 Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

You see it's an eternal priesthood . As long as there's a highpriest the principles of God will not end. Even in the new world

If he gave from his gain in the expedition. Gain was the key word. Don't water it down to win an argument .

Hebrews 7:12
For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.

The law has been changed
It is now the law of Christ
Christ taught on almost every subject
Where did He teach his disciples to tithe ??
Where did Paul teach about tithe ??

Abraham didn't tithe with his possesions
It was simply war booty
Because he didn't have much of that, he didn't continue tithing.
Go and rescue people and tithe with what you get okay
Abraham was blessed beyond measures. Why didn't he tithe again with his possessions ??
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by petra1(m): 10:34am On Jan 25, 2017
Junia:

Jacob vowed a vow to God for safe passage, for food and clothing and this promise was conditional.

The vow was a statement of commitment. Remember he had been under his father as dependent and not a man yet . He made a vow based on the principle his father taught him . This was his first time of standing on his own . To work for a living . If a man says "lord if you do this for me I will serve you Forever " does it mean he wouldn't serve God without it. It's only a statement of commitment to worship .

Tithing was not a conditional act, it was like a tax for the nation Israel

Tax was different . It was worship .

Again this is one time occurrence, it is never mentioned again in Jacob’s life. There was no Levitical priesthood or tabernacle that would be necessary for a tithe. Just because a tenth is mentioned does not mean it is a tithe.

BROTHER IT WAS TITHE. Either you call it 10% or one tenth . It's the same . Why didn't Jacob vowed 2%. Why is all the record 10% because there is something about the 10%.

If i give 10% of my income to a poor man does it mean i'm tithing

What you give to the poor is alms . It's a different giving . It can be 10%. Or five but it doesn't take the place of the 10% to God.

Tithing is something you do regularly not on a conditional basis, not once in a lifetime nor once a year.

The fact that we have a record of one incidence doesn't mean they did it only one time . Just as Gombs pointed out that Abraham prayer to God was recorded once . That doesn't mean he prayed only once . Even if. It were once in a life time . Tithe is tithe .it belongs to God .

God had Moses introduce the tithe because of the priesthood and the sacrificial system and Israel being a theocracy. If tithing was before the Law then it should apply apart from the Law. The Bible says that tithing was of the Law 400 years after Abraham

After Abraham it continued in Isaac and Jacob . Except when moved to Egypt and. became Slaves. And one of the reasons God moved them out was to worship him. And he had to document the mode of worship . And instituted the offerings and tithes .

The Bible does not say that Abraham was commanded to give a tithe; the Bible does not say that Jacob was commanded to give a tithe. In fact, before Moses and the Law, the Bible does not record anyone giving tithes to God as a yearly, Monthly or weekly practice. There is No such command.
If Christians are to be practicing tithing today because of Abraham then we are also obligated to keep everything that occurred before the law! Circumcision
was given to Abraham before it was incorporated in the Law of Moses. Abraham and Jacob were circumcised
says that circumcision was of the Law though it occured before the law and need not to be observed by Christians, we are circumcised in our heart when we believe in Jesus (Paul says in Galatians 3 not to keep the law).

If you want to tithe, thrn circumcise as well, offer burnt offerings as well because they all existed before the law

24 Let me put it another way. The law was our guardian until Christ came; it protected us until we could be made right with God through faith.

It was divine revelation and instruction . We were not there to know if it was a command . Just as Jacob who gave first fruit, it was based on instruction . But genesis didn't say so .
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 25, 2017
petra1:

The vow was a statement of commitment. Remember he had been under his father as dependent and not a man yet . He made a vow based on the principle his father taught him . This was his first time of standing on his own . To work for a living . If a man says "lord if you do this for me I will serve you Forever " does it mean he wouldn't serve God without it. It's only a statement of commitment to worship .

Tax was different . It was worship .

BROTHER IT WAS TITHE. Either you call it 10% or one tenth . It's the same . Why didn't Jacob vowed 2%. Why is all the record 10% because there is something about the 10%.

What you give to the poor is alms . It's a different giving . It can be 10%. Or five but it doesn't take the place of the 10% to God.

The fact that we have a record of one incidence doesn't mean they did it only one time . Just as Gombs pointed out that Abraham prayer to God was recorded once . That doesn't mean he prayed only once . Even if. It were once in a life time . Tithe is tithe .it belongs to God .

After Abraham it continued in Isaac and Jacob . Except when moved to Egypt and. became Slaves. And one of the reasons God moved them out was to worship him. And he had to document the mode of worship . And instituted the offerings and tithes .

It was divine revelation and instruction . We were not there to know if it was a command . Just as Jacob who gave first fruit, it was based on inustruction . But genesis didn't say so .

So you will tithe right
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by openmine(m): 10:47am On Jan 25, 2017
petra1:

If the Bible says so , why argue with it. All scripture were given by God inspiration.

hmmm...nice so please help out bro which of those laws do u OBEY?
Its not enough to call it an inspiration from God.... just because of tithes....state explicitly if u burn incense on a daily basis....I guess u only observe tithe while leaving the rest..that my bro is called cherry-picking...
U don't keep the one that is convenient to you while ignoring the rest...

Ref:

petra1:

All is all

If All Na All, how many of them are you doing?
Taking the one that appears comfortable 2 U aka tithe?...you are not being truthful 2 urself....

Its very clear from the bible in Hebrews 7 that ALL laws were abolished.... even that scripture called ALL THE LAWS "weak" and "useless"..If the same God who made the mosaic laws decide to do away with them because of their imperfections and weakness,why do u still insist on bring back just one...which is tithe...?

petra1:

Ok what's really the point . Were those scriptures inspired by devil ?

The point is that not all scriptures were inspired by God...U can go tru the 613 laws...they were based on a covenant that was given to moses....but wen a new covenant and a new priest was established, a new law was in place...

And that's simply because non of the laws were good enough to make man draw close to God...hence a new covenant,new priest and a new law was established...And its all dere in the bible...why twist the scriptures just because of one single law, tithe...wat about other laws? are they irrelevant to U?

If God Almighty did some thing,changed his mind, say its not good enough and brings up some thing beta than the former,why wud his children still insist that the former one was beta off....doesn't he know Wats best for us? Or are we to dictate or tell him which one best suits us?

petra1:

Didn't Paul quote the law many times . A

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 New International Version (NIV)

Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews.
To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak.

I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the SAKE OF THE GOSPEL, that I may share in its blessings.

petra1:

I already said in my earlier posts that there exception of things that christ has fulfilled . The blood of christ is greater that blood of bulls but ha doesn't take away the principle of sacrifice,service,worship etc.

Saying that there are some exceptions of things fulfilled by Christ while others remain is to say the least a plot by u to twist the scriptures to suit you....

Its very clear from the bible in Hebrews 7 that ALL laws were abolished.... even that scripture called ALL THE LAWS "weak" and "useless"..

petra1:

The issue is not about law or nor pre law structure. Tithe is Gods . Whatever structure you may use

But that's the issue..
u don't declare that tithe predated the law only to jump into Malachi 3:10 - 12 which was directed to those who were under d law...
The worse part is dat u and many tithers hold on to Malachi while U intentionally ignore Deuteronomy 14:22 -29
Isn't that deceitful?
Who are you deceiving?

and besides,who are you to dictate to God wat he can or can not do?
He said the laws are not only imperfect but useless and weak...of which tithe is inclusive...why do u still insist that God only made exceptions to some laws while throwing away others...are you say God lied?
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Gombs(m): 10:55am On Jan 25, 2017
Junia:

No

A priest FOREVER... See why tithing is an eternal principle?

No wa o

All new creations are priests na!... So, if you like go and receive tithes, points is, tithing is very operational today.

Do you have proof that it was once? Does the fact that it was recorded once a proof of he did it once? How about his prayer recorded once? Does that mean he prayed once?
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 25, 2017
openmine:

hmmm...nice so please help out bro which of those laws do u OBEY?
Its not enough to call it an inspiration from God.... just because of tithes....state explicitly if u burn incense on a daily basis....I guess u only observe tithe while leaving the rest..that my bro is called cherry-picking...
U don't keep the one that is convenient to you while ignoring the rest...

Ref:

If All Na All, how many of them are you doing?
Taking the one that appears comfortable 2 U aka tithe?...you are not being truthful 2 urself....

Its very clear from the bible in Hebrews 7 that ALL laws were abolished.... even that scripture called ALL THE LAWS "weak" and "useless"..If the same God who made the mosaic laws decide to do away with them because of their imperfections and weakness,why do u still insist on bring back just one...which is tithe...?

The point is that not all scriptures were inspired by God...U can go tru the 613 laws...they were based on a covenant that was given to moses....but wen a new covenant and a new priest was established, a new law was in place...

And that's simply because non of the laws were good enough to make man draw close to God...hence a new covenant,new priest and a new law was established...And its all dere in the bible...why twist the scriptures just because of one single law, tithe...wat about other laws? are they irrelevant to U?

If God Almighty did some thing,changed his mind, say its not good enough and brings up some thing beta than the former,why wud his children still insist that the former one was beta off....doesn't he know Wats best for us? Or are we to dictate or tell him which one best suits us?

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 New International Version (NIV)

Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews.
To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak.

I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the SAKE OF THE GOSPEL, that I may share in its blessings.

Saying that there are some exceptions of things fulfilled by Christ while others remain is to say the least a plot by u to twist the scriptures to suit you....

Its very clear from the bible in Hebrews 7 that ALL laws were abolished.... even that scripture called ALL THE LAWS "weak" and "useless"..

But that's the issue..
u don't declare that tithe predated the law only to jump into Malachi 3:10 - 12 which was directed to those who were under d law...
The worse part is dat u and many tithers hold on to Malachi while U intentionally ignore Deuteronomy 14:22 -29
Isn't that deceitful?
Who are you deceiving?

and besides,who are you to dictate to God wat he can or can not do?
He said the laws are not only imperfect but useless and weak...of which tithe is inclusive...why do u still insist that God only made exceptions to some laws while throwing away others...are you say God lied?

He will still defend himself
Just ignore him
Selective lifestyles
Tithing is a law, if he obeys it, he should observe all the laws as well
If he thinks it is a kingdom principle, he should observe burnt offering, animal sacrifices, eat clean animals only and circumcision as well
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Gombs(m): 10:59am On Jan 25, 2017
plainbibletruth:

PRE-LAW tithing recorded in the Scripture was unforced – the Abraham’s tithe of war bounty and Jacob’s promise to pay.
The Tithing commanded in the Law is MANDATORY. E.g. Leviticus 27: 30.

One is more or less free will tithing and the other mandated. One is possibly anything, as can be seen from Abraham giving of war bounty while the other is SPECIFIC – i.e. AGRICULTURAL PRODUCE.

Now, today’s tithers say it is ONLY MONEY, at least from what is mostly bandied about today.

My question for today’s tithers then is this:
On what Biblical instruction are today’s tithers paying their tithes – is it on the ASSUMPTION that because there is tithe payment in the Bible then it is still applicable today or is there a clearly defined INSTRUCTIONS (UNDER THE NEW COVENANT) that they can point to?

Because it was paid by our Father of faith to an eternal priesthood which order Jesus is of today.

wink
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 11:17am On Jan 25, 2017
Gombs:

A priest FOREVER... See why tithing is an eternal principle?

No wa o

All new creations are priests na!... So, if you like go and receive tithes, points is, tithing is very operational today.

Do you have proof that it was once? Does the fact that it was recorded once a proof of he did it once? How about his prayer recorded once? Does that mean he prayed once?

Eternal principle
So tithing, circumcision, burnt offering, animal sacrifise, eating of only clean animals etc .. they are also eternal principles because they existed before the law right

Galatians 5:2
Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all.

So will Christ be of value to you if you practise the remaining so claimed eternal principles

Galatians 5:3
For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

You called the practises which existed before Moses eternal principles though they are all in the law

Why did paul say anyone who practise one the so called eternal principles which is circumcision is a debtor to the who law.
In other words circumcision is a law and anyone who practises it must practise everything in the law
Didn't he know it existed before the law ??
Why did he then classify it under the law ??
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Gombs(m): 11:17am On Jan 25, 2017
Junia:

Jacob vowed a vow to God for safe passage, for food and clothing and this promise was conditional. Tithing was not a conditional act, it was like a tax for the nation Israel.

How conditional? He was striking a deal with God? What conditions exactly?

Again this is one time occurrence, it is never mentioned again in Jacob’s life.

Any proof? If you don't have any.. Please shut it.

There was no Levitical priesthood or tabernacle that would be necessary for a tithe.

grin grin cheesy

Was Abraham and Jacob under the law?

Just because a tenth is mentioned does not mean it is a tithe.

Please supply a better term. Remember, it wasn't a coincidence that it was the tenth part.

If i give 10% of my income to a poor man does it mean i'm tithing.

Taking a cue from other tithers in the Bible... Did they give it to the poor? We're the Levites poor folks? Was Melchizedek poor?

Tithing is something you do regularly not on a conditional basis, not once in a lifetime nor once a year.

Make up your mind. Is tithing obsolete? If yes, fine.. Of no, fine. Don't sit on the fence.

God had Moses introduce the tithe because of the priesthood and the sacrificial system and Israel being a theocracy.

Do you want to use this reason and open up a thread and invite me in?

Your reason is very off.

If tithing was before the Law then it should apply apart from the Law.

Lol... How? All that was before the law was incorporated into the law. For example, there was shedding of blood for the atonement of Adam's sin... Yeah, an animal surely died. Question is, why wasn't this applied apart from the law?

The Bible says that tithing was of the Law 400 years after Abraham . The Bible does not say that Abraham was commanded to give a tithe; the Bible does not say that Jacob was commanded to give a tithe. In fact, before Moses and the Law, the Bible does not record anyone giving tithes to God as a yearly, Monthly or weekly practice. There is No such command.

grin grin grin

So, your line of debate Now is one was commanded and the other wasn't? Lol

Did the Bible say Abraham was commanded to obey God? But he did. Did God say Abel was commanded to give his firstfruits? But he did... Etc. You need understand why the law was introduced in the first place... Let me ask, why was the law introduced sef?

was given to Abraham before it was incorporated in the Law of Moses.

Are you not circumcised? Won't you circumcise your son? Tell me one act of worship before the law that has been discarded... Just one.

Abraham and Jacob were circumcised

Exactly.

Please, don't misquote Paul.... Emmm, you're circumcised, that means you're obeying the law? Paul was making a teaching because the Jews claimed the gentiles who weren't part of the covenant cannot attain salvation... That was emphasis on works. Do not come and mislead other o.

grin grin grin grin

This fella seems irredeemably confused.

We're not discussing the law...
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 25, 2017
Gombs:

Because it was paid by our Father of faith to an eternal priesthood which order Jesus is of today.

wink

So should we pay war booties to our High priest now ??
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 25, 2017
Gombs:

How conditional? He was striking a deal with God? What conditions exactly?

Any proof? If you don't have any.. Please shut it.

grin grin cheesy

Was Abraham and Jacob under the law?

Please supply a better term. Remember, it wasn't a coincidence that it was the tenth part.

Taking a cue from other tithers in the Bible... Did they give it to the poor? We're the Levites poor folks? Was Melchizedek poor?

Make up your mind. Is tithing obsolete? If yes, fine.. Of no, fine. Don't sit on the fence.

Do you want to use this reason and open up a thread and invite me in?

Your reason is very off.

Lol... How? All that was before the law was incorporated into the law. For example, there was shedding of blood for the atonement of Adam's sin... Yeah, an animal surely died. Question is, why wasn't this applied apart from the law?

grin grin grin

So, your line of debate Now is one was commanded and the other wasn't? Lol

Did the Bible say Abraham was commanded to obey God? But he did. Did God say Abel was commanded to give his firstfruits? But he did... Etc. You need understand why the law was introduced in the first place... Let me ask, why was the law introduced sef?

Are you not circumcised? Won't you circumcise your son? Tell me one act of worship before the law that has been discarded... Just one.

Exactly.

Please, don't misquote Paul.... Emmm, you're circumcised, that means you're obeying the law? Paul was making a teaching because the Jews claimed the gentiles who weren't part of the covenant cannot attain salvation... That was emphasis on works. Do not come and mislead other o.

grin grin grin grin

This fella seems irredeemably confused.

We're not discussing the law...

You just can't defend yourself
U claim tithing existed before the law so you will tithe
Then please offer burnt offerings, eat clean animals only, offer animal sacrifises because they all existed before the law.
And if all of them acted as an act of worship, why then choose one(tithing) and leave the rest

You just don't wanna hear the law right
Circumcision existed b4 the law
Exist in the law
Paul address it as a law.

Tithe existed before the law
Exist in the law
Jesus address it as a law

Continue in your ignorance
I don't have to continue argueing
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by openmine(m): 11:52am On Jan 25, 2017
Junia:

He will still defend himself
Just ignore him
Selective lifestyles
Tithing is a law, if he obeys it, he should observe all the laws as well
If he thinks it is a kingdom principle, he should observe burnt offering, animal sacrifices, eat clean animals only and circumcision as well
U r right bro but am not just doing Dis for just him but for believers who will one day visit this thread....
Those who seek the truth about wat they are doing..
I know wat he wants to do...he reminds me of a pastor I once engaged in a previous thread...same pattern,same ideology,same evasive nature....
The worse part is that they keep talking about tithe being an eternal principle and yet none have been able to back it up with scriptures....then how wud u defend urself or God's word if u encounter an unbeliever who challenges ur beliefs using the bible...its very sad!
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by OlaoChi: 12:05pm On Jan 25, 2017
petra1:

Abraham wasn't a Jew . Tithes and offerings are kingdom principles
that's like saying Oduduwa wasn't Yoruba

Abraham is the ancestor of Jews, his ways are the ways of the Jews not African people
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Gombs(m): 1:23pm On Jan 25, 2017
[quote author=Junia post=53110946]

For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.

The law has been changed

Where did he teach about child dedication and harvest thanksgiving? Don't we practice them today? Are we sinning then, just because Jesus Didn't teach on them? That is where principle come in.

Lol... Do you want me to list things he didn't teach about?

It was simply war booty

So? What did Jacob tithe with? Journey booty?

You're lying now.

Abraham was blessed beyond measures. Why didn't he tithe again with his possessions ??

You're sooooooo lying
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Gombs(m): 1:23pm On Jan 25, 2017
[quote author=Junia post=53110946]

The law has been changed

Where did he teach about child dedication and harvest thanksgiving? Don't we practice them today? Are we sinning then, just because Jesus Didn't teach on them? That is where principle come in.

Lol... Do you want me to list things he didn't teach about?

It was simply war booty

So? What did Jacob tithe with? Journey booty?

You're lying now.

Prayer at 12noon and 10pm (Local/GMT) - Wed Jan 25

In today's Rhapsody, learn more about your inheritance in Christ and never accept poverty. You can download your copy from http://rhapsodyofrealities.org

Ephesians 6:10-13 says: "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand".

For 15min at 12noon and 10pm, we'll pray fervently in the spirit for Pastors and ministers of the Gospel around the world; that the Lord would grant them more grace and supply of the spirit for the work of the ministry. Pray also in the light of this scripture for one another and for those facing health challenges, that they may be strengthened with might, by the Spirit, the Lord perfecting all that concerns them, to the glory of His Name. Amen.
Remember to attend the mid week service today in church, onsite or online. God bless you.

You're sooooooo lying
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Peacefullove: 1:44pm On Jan 25, 2017
Gombs:

wink

He paid Money ?

Are you paying from Spoils of war or personal possession ?
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Peacefullove: 1:48pm On Jan 25, 2017
petra1:

Beautiful point there . Why don't they stop worshiping God because it's in the law and because nor stop praying because Abraham prayed only once. The greed of man is something else . Just to ease the guilt of conscience

That's what they told the guy to insist. Tithing is only mentioned in the law . Just as serving God is mentioned in the law .

Why is it that the apostles of Jesus to whom he handed authority, never collect tithe from their fellow Christians ?
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jan 25, 2017
[quote author=Gombs post=53116746][/quote]

Luke 17 : 11 - 19
Jesus talks about thanksgiving
Im not going into that though

Can i know where baby dedication is found in the law

Circumcision existed before the law
Brought into the law
Paul called it a law

Tithing existed before the law
Brought into the law
Jesus called it a law

Burnt offering, eating of clean animals, animal sacrifices all existed before the law
Why do you ignore them and choose only tithing ??
Why are we taught that we should no longer be doing animal sacrifice today and burnt offerings but we should still be tithing? The law of Moses was a unit that cannot be divided, either we keep it all which brings us out from the new covenant or we separate from it all and keep the new covenant. What of Malachi 3:9? If we are to be cursed for not keeping a certain portion of the law of Moses, then we are cursed for not keeping the other 613 laws included in the law.

My brother, just think
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 25, 2017
[quote author=petra1 post=53108063]
Petra this is your point right ..

My answer to you

God created us
We are under the law of Christ
Which is loving God and our neighbours
Will you worship satan when you love God ??

Tithing was only mentioned in the law .. fine
Circumcision was there
Burnt offerings was there
Eating of only clean animals was there

Why do you select only tithing and leave the rest ??
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by petra1(m): 3:15pm On Jan 25, 2017
Peacefullove:

Why is it that the apostles of Jesus to whom he handed authority, never collect tithe from their fellow Christians ?

What's your prooof they didn't
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Peacefullove: 3:22pm On Jan 25, 2017
petra1:

What's your prooof they didn't
Nowhere did the Christian Bible said the Apostles collect tithe
if you think they do, show me where !
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by petra1(m): 3:52pm On Jan 25, 2017
Junia:

My answer to you
God created us
We are under the law of Christ
Which is loving God and our neighbours

And if you love God , why deny him his offering and tithe?

Will you worship satan when you love God ??

You worship your God with empty hands .

Tithing was only mentioned in the law

But you know that's a lie. Tithes started between God and our father Abraham . As much as non givers try to label it booty to desecrate the holy thing , you contradict yourselves by the new testament you claim to believe . Which made it clear that what Abraham gave was tithes .

Hebrews 7:6 (KJV Strong's)
6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises

Circumcision was there
Burnt offerings was there
Eating of only clean animals was there
Why do you select only tithing and leave the rest ??

Because they were fulfilled in christ . Each one of them had significance. They represent the gentiles . And we are in the times of the gentiles. If I have time I will expantiate on it.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by petra1(m): 3:55pm On Jan 25, 2017
Peacefullove:

Nowhere did the Christian Bible said the Apostles collect tithe

if you think they do, show me where !

1 Corinthians 9:13-14 (KJV)
13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? 14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (38) (Reply)

Coronavirus: TB Joshua Reacts As Lagos Government Restricts Church Activities / TB Joshua On The Mountain Praying For Coronavirus End (Photos) / Choir Master Relaxes With Busty Lady On A Beach In Akwa Ibom, See Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 189
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.