Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,571 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. (40064 Views)

America’s Most Expensive Home, The $139 Million Gold Plated Mansion In Florida / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" / Exclusive Pictures Of Babangida's Eye-popping Mansion In Minna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by knightsTempler: 6:11pm On Jun 20, 2015
I have friend who did same, and he is regretting it today, because things isn't going well business wise like it used to be.

It really isn't worth it TBH.
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 20, 2015
deluxecad:
I think it's penny wise pound foolish to build a country home in your village you visit once a year or hardly even do and living in a rented house in town where you spend almost all your life. Would you rather create impression at home while you remain a tenant in town?
what about if work moves you from the town too another town? will you Carry the house or what?. So it is better you build your mansion in your village because your village is your village or home.

5 Likes

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by tycoon3(m): 6:13pm On Jun 20, 2015
I think it's choice, anyone who does that might be thinking far about the future,probably he have an ambition to become their king or thinking of getting a political ticket either for house of Rep or chairman...
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by wordcat(m): 6:14pm On Jun 20, 2015
You will know the reason when you see those "I get am before grin " that fleed from North because of Boko Haram.

Umu Igbo please don't be discouraged, Think Home first o.

Aku Rue Ulo, Okwuo Onye Kpara Ya.

15 Likes

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by darmys(f): 6:14pm On Jun 20, 2015
deluxecad:
I think it's penny wise pound foolish to build a country home in your village you visit once a year or hardly even do and living in a rented house in town where you spend almost all your life. Would you rather create impression at home while you remain a tenant in town?

sense!
but in defense of people that do it
you know village is somehow. you cannot just go and stay with someone when you go there.

Land is cheap. you do not need a too impressive building.
you can complete something with 5 million is some villages

whereas in lagos. some yearly rent is 5 million .

1 Like

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by babyfaceafrica: 6:15pm On Jun 20, 2015
I don't understand what people meant by sayings its igbo culture?..its a personal decision to build a home in ur village...no one will kill you if you don't...people should do what pleases them!!!
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by 9jatatafo(m): 6:15pm On Jun 20, 2015
Do what suits you
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by africanusvu(m): 6:15pm On Jun 20, 2015
Abandoned property fear still in our mind
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by debuscket(m): 6:19pm On Jun 20, 2015
1. u retire to d village and not d city 2. when u die, u will be buried in d village(ur compd) not in d city 3. There is no place like home and home is village where u'r so close 2 nature

2 Likes

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 20, 2015
am in support of this argument... I visited my grandmother in the village for the first time in agu-ukwu in anambra state for my 2 weeks holiday from school... if u see. the structures and edifices igbo people have in this and other surrounding villages,its unfortunate I have no picture evidence... looks more like the houses u see in lagos and and far better than the ones in Benin G R A...and they visit home only once a year from lagos,aba, Enugu asaba and other states and outside Nigeria.... I really don't like the idea... my grandmas house was superb too

2 Likes

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by Truckpusher(m): 6:22pm On Jun 20, 2015
harakiri:
People do this for different reasons.One main reason is that a lot of peeps who do this "originated" from the village/towns and spent their child hood years back "home" so the only people they can floss for are those at home.That is why Igbos love going home.You won't see any born and breed in Lagos guy being too enthusiastic about visiting home during xmas.It's the one's who were born and raised there that look forward to it with feverishness so that they can see their peeps and oppress the poor villagers.So to such people, the city is just a hustling ground and nothing more.

Another reason people build houses in the village is to "identify" with their people.They want to lay their mark as "sons/daughters of the soil".It's a thing of honour to hustle in the city and show your achievements in the village.

Then, there are some who just build in the village because EVERYBODY who has money is doing it.I know a guy who has 2 houses in lag and 1 in the village.The village house cost him close to N30 million and he has only slept there ONCE.Whenever he goes home,he sleeps in hotels because he fears "village people" and you wonder, why did you build the house in the first place.

Nuff said!
That's what happens when people misplace their priorities.

Why would one build a mansion that your kids and family might not likely to live in the nearest future?
I've a friend that sank money into a mansion in the village yet he's catching hell in town.
If that same mansion was in the city he would sell it if push comes to shove and start up all over again.
To make matters worse ,he built that house just to send a message to his kinsmen that he has arrived. grin
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 20, 2015
The reason why we build in our villages is because that's where we retire and visit the city from there.
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by Iwonimi(m): 6:23pm On Jun 20, 2015
mamagee3:

Are you from mammi-water kingdom? grin grin
. U re right dude. Naso dem dey form big
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by sebali: 6:24pm On Jun 20, 2015
rahazaqa:
what about if work moves you from the town too another town? will you Carry the house or what?. So it is better you build your mansion in your village because your village is your village or home.

The question is hw often do u visit d mansion in d village.
Then again even if u relocate 4rm one town 2 anoda d house remains ur house, u havent made any loss and u can always put on rent or sale it.

I agree its good 2 own a home in ones place bt i tink its wiser 2 build one 1st where u spend more dan 300days every yr

1 Like

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by sebali: 6:26pm On Jun 20, 2015
gboss4sure:
The reason why we build in our villages is because that's where we retire and visit the city from there.
The OP is not saying dnt build at home. Build first in town or wherever u live and build d retirement home later(afta rall u re to retire later not now)

1 Like

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by Chubhie: 6:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
Most people I know are looking beyond Nigeria and heading to Ghana. I'm yet to know why.
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by sircardinal: 6:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
Why must it be only igbos, don't we have any other tribe to pick on??
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by godoluwa(m): 6:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
choi! c old thread
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by DollyParton1(f): 6:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
This thread is about 6years old.
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by myklangelo(m): 6:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
Nna a, o kwanu ihe mere ihe jiri were mebe.
It is a quality of we Easterners tht developed greatly fter biafra war. As u know our ppl are travellers, but the war taught us that there s no place like home, even if na once in 2yrs.

Nke anyi bu nke anyi, nkem bu nke m

My 3rd tutorial is out, it is on application of the Igbo vowel harmony. Visit to read.

The 1st Igbo language blog is out, it is fun and insightful. Visit, comment, share and criticize.www.odeniigbo..com

6 Likes

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by Richmond996: 6:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
To me its wise to build a house in the village before building in the city.
There is no place like home (village/roots) if anything happens in that city u re in, where will you run to.

Besides are you from that "city"
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by basilo101: 6:30pm On Jun 20, 2015
Lessons learnt after the uncivil war
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by sunnydayasaba(m): 6:31pm On Jun 20, 2015
It all depends on individuals, the world is changing and people are beginning to build house where they reside now compare to before. Its necessary for one to build houses in the village because that house remains your identity when one passes on. Your age mates and kinsmen tends to respect you more for building at home. We Igbo believe in Aku Lu Nno (wealth gets home) and we command more respect with that.

But some how things are beginning to change because of exbortant rents, people are beginning to consider where they live as a first choice of building that's why a state like Lagos is beginning to develop rapidly. Go to area like Ijegun, isheri, ikotun, festac, Okoko and some areas in Lagos, you will notice the rapid development in housing and most are built by non indigene of Lagos. So i think with them, the area of building houses in the village and living as a tenant in cities will reduce drastically.
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by slyopez(m): 6:32pm On Jun 20, 2015
My Igbo brother's make una no mind them, let's continue building in our villages, yoloba people are looking for properties they will inherit if there's any crisis.

13 Likes

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by sircardinal: 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2015
Why must we pick only on igbos?? Are they the only tribe that left village for the city?
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by amanze15(m): 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2015
Come to my village and u would think u are maitama or lekki phase 1, angry grin its a "tradition" for some, who have a large family, the joy of ur "clan"
Having a 8 bedroom mansion that u visit 3 times in a year ( easter, burials/new yam festival/august meetings and yuletide) grin and visiting the "pib remover" grin cheesy after every visit.....igbo kwenu angry

1 Like

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by Panshow(m): 6:35pm On Jun 20, 2015
That's madness na
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by devour129: 6:36pm On Jun 20, 2015
HIGHESTPOPORI:
We IGBOS prefer to build in our Village first!
yes o incase oso Abiola repeats itself

1 Like

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by josite: 6:36pm On Jun 20, 2015
its dicey.while i support a village home.its better built after buiding the one in the city you habitually lives. and if u can afford to build only one house in a lifetime,u are beta off building it in your village if u sure plan to go back and die in the village.
Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by BobUg28(m): 6:37pm On Jun 20, 2015
remember007:
am in support of this argument... I visited my grandmother in the village for the first time in agu-ukwu in anambra state for my 2 weeks holiday from school... if u see. the structures and edifices igbo people have in this and other surrounding villages,its unfortunate I have no picture evidence... looks more like the houses u see in lagos and and far better than the ones in Benin G R A...and they visit home only once a year from lagos,aba, Enugu asaba and other states and outside Nigeria.... I really don't like the idea... my grandmas house was superb too

I can attest to that. The igbo's are very good at that when it comes to taking their wealth down to their mother-land.

It's their primary objective be you a government worker or a businessman. They believe that no matter how long you stayed in the diaspora one day you 'll surely come back to your motherland.

7 Likes

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by 400billionman: 6:37pm On Jun 20, 2015
deluxecad:

I have already corrected that parental mistake of having a big house in the village and living on rent in town.

I rather live in a mansion in town and build 3 bedroom bungalow in village... How many days does one spend when visiting the Villa ?

1 Like

Re: Mansion In The Village And Rented Apartment In Town. by bmos(m): 6:37pm On Jun 20, 2015
areaboi:
Wat the Bleep is wrong with it,won't i retire someday,wat if i were to contest for a public office someday,etc.

Thinking aloud upside down.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nairalander Please Beware Of NON Lagos State Lands In Ikorodu And Aquisation / How Many Blocks Would It Take To Complete This Self Contained Units? / Fire @ Mikano Office, VI: Two Persons Confirmed Dead - Eyewitness (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.